Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Primetime Emmys - General Discussion

Message added by formerlyfreedom

A reminder that all Primetimer rules and policies are in effect during live chats, including politics policy. Please stick to discussion of the show. Thank you.

• Start Topic

For me, the problem with Sophia and Neil Patrick Harris is that they're overexposed.  Once someone is "discovered" and they become a little popular, everyone jumps on that bandwagon and then that's all you see is that person, EVERYWHERE.  

That's my problem with Amy Schumer.  I'd never heard of her until a few months ago and all of a sudden she was in every magazine, TV talk show, newspaper interview, etc. and while I've never seen her show or anything that she's done I'm already sick of her and wish she'd go away.

• Love 4

Very happy for Viola Davis.  Happy for Jon Hamm.  Disappointed for Christina Hendricks.  Not so disappointed for Elisabeth Moss - I find her average and while she may be the show's most important female, she doesn't stand out as a lead to me.  She might have won in Supporting one of these years.

I'm confused as to why American Horror Story continually qualifies as a miniseries.  Because each season is a self-contained storyline?  It doesn't matter to me, it's still the same producing team and many of the same actors.  Do they do this so they don't have to compete with the big boys in Drama?

For American Horror Story, the idea is that it is not "fair" for the show and actors to compete with other shows that have "continuous plots/storylines" that span multiple seasons and that have history attached to them.  I actually think that this distinction is fair.

That's my problem with Amy Schumer.  I'd never heard of her until a few months ago and all of a sudden she was in every magazine, TV talk show, newspaper interview, etc. and while I've never seen her show or anything that she's done I'm already sick of her and wish she'd go away.

I know nothing about her, don't watch her show and have no idea if she is funny. But she's not going anywhere. She just signed a multimillion dollar book deal - double what Lena Dunham got for hers. She's gonna be here for a while.

For me, the problem with Sophia and Neil Patrick Harris is that they're overexposed.  Once someone is "discovered" and they become a little popular, everyone jumps on that bandwagon and then that's all you see is that person, EVERYWHERE.   NPH was hosting everything, being in magazines shilling for whatever.  Sophia is also everywhere, in commercials, on billboards and magazines.  To my mind, very overexposed and people might be getting tired of her.  But I am glad that Modern Family was punched down this year.  Personally, I much prefer The Middle and the actors on that show are constantly overlooked because of Modern Family.  I'm thinking that MF will probably be around for maybe another season, and then go away.  

You know who is overexposed?  Allison Janney!  She's everywhere shilling everything.  If I have to hear her yapping about Kaiser one more time, I will kill!  And guess what?  They nominated her for two Emmy's!

• Love 2

That sketch was perfect. It was funny and horrible because it's all very true in Hollywood:(.  And not particularly untrue IRL IMO

In many ways, it's true outside of Hollywood as well.

I mean when you have the dalai lama saying this...

The Dalai Lama said in a BBC interview Tuesday that if a woman succeeds him, “that female must be attractive, otherwise it is not much use.” He did not elaborate.

• Love 1

Wow, I didn't think it was possible to want to punch the Dalai Lama in the face, but apparently it is.  I guess Mother Teresa wasn't much use.  Or Rosa Parks.  Or Marie Curie, Joan of Arc, Catherine the Great, Florence Nightingale, Susan B. Anthony, Amelia Earhart, Eleanor Roosevelt, Indira Ghandi, Margaret, Thatcher, Harriet Beecher Stowe, etc., etc.  I could go on, but the point is made.  And I'm sure someone could argue that a few of these women may be considered attractive, but that's hardly the reason they are famous and beloved, is it?

• Love 2

More thoughts:

I thought that Andy Samberg did a decent job. he didn't make me laugh the whole time, but he had his moments, specifically the opening number and the Kim Davis & Donald Trump joke-which, in the latter two's cases, when I think about it, is redundant. Jon Hamm's winning the Best Actor Emmy was long overdue and his acceptance climb was hilarious, proving once again that he's just as great at comedy as he is at drama. Frances McDormand can do no wrong in my eyes. She's like the White Viola Davis. I'm glad that Jon Stewart got some love for his last season, but I wish a little of it could've gone to David Letterman. I'm also glad that Veep won Best Comedy, simply because it ended Modern Family's reign of boring me. Re Tracy Morgan's return, while I'm not one of his biggest fans, his recovery from the accident that almost killed him is impressive, to say the least. I'm looking forward to his return to SNL.

I don't understand all the comments about spoilers. Haven't these shows all aired? I always think it's amusing that people think that no one should discuss a show just because they have seen it.

This. I am sorry but once something has aired, in my opinion, it's no longer a spoiler.

ITA. At the rate things are going, I'm glad that people don't binge watch the news on Netflix, otherwise we'd need spoiler alerts for that, too.

It was clear that Tatiana Maslany wouldn't win and I'm fine with it. The nomination was the recognition of what she's doing and while she's good, she doesn't quite have the same intensity that some of the older actresses have, at least in my opinion. Or maybe she has and it's just the crappy writing on Orphan Black that ruins her.

Co-sign. Tatiana Maslany may technically give more performances than, say, Viola Davis, but more doesn't mean better. Viola Davis is such a badass I think that she could play at least half the clones on Orphan Black better than TM could play Annalise Keating.

• Love 3

Delighted that Viola won and loved her speech but I really wish Taraji could have just sat the fuck down during it. I get it was an emotional speech but Kerry Washington managed to remain poised so I don't get why Taraji couldn't just clap while seated. Something about her just really bugs me.

Viola is a beautiful speaker and while the show might not be Emmy worthy to me her performance always is.

• Love 1

Delighted that Viola won and loved her speech but I really wish Taraji could have just sat the fuck down during it. I get it was an emotional speech but Kerry Washington managed to remain poised so I don't get why Taraji couldn't just clap while seated. Something about her just really bugs me.

Viola is a beautiful speaker and while the show might not be Emmy worthy to me her performance always is.

I'm glad to know that I wasn't the only one who thought Taraji was out of line.  It was one thing for her to jump up and hug Viola, but after that she should have sat her ass down because it was Viola's moment.  Taraji bugs me, and I think she's let the success of Empire go to her head.

4 hours ago, Chas411 said:

When do they announce the nominations?

Here is the relevant info. (Hey, the Emmys air on my birthday! Huh...)

The 68th Primetime Emmy Awards will air live from L.A.'s Microsoft Theater at 8 p.m. ET/5 p.m. PT on Sunday, Sept. 18. Nominations will be announced on the morning of Thursday, July 14.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Chas411 said:

Thanks for that Wendy.

anybody have any favourites they'd like to see get nominated this year?

These nominations are probably in the bag, but I'm waiting to see Sterling K Brown, Courtney B Vance, and Sarah Paulson nominated for their work on American Crime Story.  For the same show, he's probably more of a dark horse, but I would love to see David Schwimmer get nominated; he really did some understated, but fantastic work on the show.

I'm also hoping this is the year Andy Samberg can snag a Best Actor nomination in the comedy category.  He's been doing some really great work on Brooklyn Nine Nine, and I'm still shocked that last year with seven best actor slots, that he wasn't one of them.  For the same show, I'd also love to see Andre Braugher take home the Best Supporting Actor Emmy; he's been nominated twice for the role but hasn't won yet.  And much as I love Allison Janney, I'd love to see Kate McKinnon take home the Best Supporting Actress Emmy for SNL - she is consistently amazing on the show and is clearly one of the anchors.  

And in the "out there" nominations - she probably won't win, but Shiri Appleby was amazing on UnREAL.  Really, really solid work on a show that can be over-the-top and campy.  I do think we'll probably get a few more "surprise" nominations in the categories, especially in the drama categories, this year now that some old standards are gone.  At the very least, we'll have two new nominees in the Best Drama Actor category now that perennial nominees Jon Hamm and Jeff Daniels won't be there.

• Love 3
18 hours ago, Chas411 said:

Thanks for that Wendy.

anybody have any favourites they'd like to see get nominated this year?

Anyone from The Americans, in a category other than Guest Actor &/or Actress in a Drama, &/or the show itself.

I think The People vs. OJ Simpson will do well in the nominations--it should definitely be represented, anyway.

• Love 5

I have no real hope of seeing it happen, but I thought Krysten Ritter was amazing in Jessica Jones and would love to see her recognized but I know the Emmys are less open to rewarding genre shows.

I too would like to see Brooklyn Nine-Nine pick up a few more nominations. Andy and Andre for sure and I think this season especially Stephanie Beatriz had a stand out season that should hopefully get her a nomination in the supporting category. And I know that people are over New Girl, but I think Hannah Simone had a break out season and should also score a supporting nom for the work she did anchoring the show while Zooey was off on baby leave. (Yes I know Megan Fox was there, but it was Cece who was the highlight of those episodes.)

Finally, I think the Miniseries categories are going to be packed this year and I think the American Crime Story folks probably will walk away with the hardware but both teens (I know the actors are early 20s, but you know what I mean, right?) from American Crime, Connor Jessup and Joey Pollari, gave two of the best performances on TV and I'd love to see them get nominations at least.

• Love 3

If anyone wants to get lost for hours, the Emmy ballots have been posted at the Emmys site.

I'm worried that with the some of the more recent high profile miniseries (The People vs OJ Simpson, Roots, etc) that Fargo could get largely forgotten. I still think it's the best thing I've seen on TV this past year.

On the series front, I'm all about The Americans getting anything outside of the lazy Margo Martindale for Guest Actress one we've seen the last couple years. 

Oh and I would love to see someone from Veep's great supporting cast get a nomination beyond Tony Hale and Anna Chlumsky.

I'm hoping American Crime Story sweeps the miniseries categories (except for Supporting Actress, because they didn't have one). Sarah Paulson, Courtney B. Vance, and Sterling K. Brown just have to walk away with awards though. In a series that was excellent from start to finish, they were easily the best parts.

I'd also like to see Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt get some love this year. There should at least be room for Ellie Kemper in the Lead Actress category, now that Nurse Jackie and Parks and Recreation are over.

After a couple years in a row of being nominated, I think it's high time for Kate McKinnon to get the Supporting Actress Emmy for SNL. She is consistently the best thing about the show in recent years and I'd love for the Emmys to recognize that.

• Love 2

What's the difference between American Crime and American Crime Story? Isn't the latter just a rip off of the former seeing as AC came out first? The only difference I see is that American Crime Story just uses real events. 

3 hours ago, JustaPerson said:

What's the difference between American Crime and American Crime Story? Isn't the latter just a rip off of the former seeing as AC came out first? The only difference I see is that American Crime Story just uses real events. 

I wouldn't really call it a rip off, unless you consider American Crime itself a rip off of every other crime-based mini series that preceded it. 

All the mini-series/TV movies categories are going to be stacked and easily the most competitive. This year there was American Crime, American Crime Story, American Horror Story, Fargo, War & Peace, And Then There Were None, Confirmation, All the Way, The Night Manager and more that I'm sure I'm forgetting. Each of those mini-series/anthologies/movies has a couple of strong performances and there just isn't space to fit everyone in. The academy split the Series and Movie awards two years ago, but the actors still all have to compete against each other. It's going to be snub city. How do you pick five or six between Patrick Wilson, Courtney B. Vance, Timothy Hutton, Paul Dano, Wendell Pierce, Bryan Cranston, Hugh Laurie, Tom Hiddleston, Cuba Gooding Jr., or Charles Dance? And I think that Lead Actor in a Mini-Series or TV Movie will be one of the less competitive categories.

8 hours ago, JustaPerson said:

Not really. American Crime Story is more of a companion series to American Horror Story than anything else, and I think the idea had been in development for quite some time. Also the experiences of watching a totally fictional crime and a fictionalized version of a real crime are very different. If anything, ACS has now inspired a bunch of other networks to do miniseries/movies based on real crime stories.

On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 8:42 AM, Inquisitionist said:

The mini-series category will have some tough calls this year.  Sarah Paulson was phenomenal in The People vs. OJ, but so was Kirsten Dunst in Fargo.

Agreed.

Sarah Paulson will be a no brainer to get nominated and I'm calling a win for her.  My jaw would hit the floor if she wasn't nominated. Thought KD was great in Fargo but my money is on Paulson.

Can't wait for the noms to come out tomorrow!!

Hoping Tatiana Maslany gets one.

I'd also like to see Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt get some love this year. There should at least be room for Ellie Kemper in the Lead Actress category,

I hope so too!  And Titus!

• Love 2

The pundits seem to think it will be a competition between Kimmy Schmidt and Crazy Ex-Girlfriend. I guess they don't think both will get in so if the voters go for Kimmy Schmidt, Ellie Kemper will probably be in there but if they have more love for Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, it'll be Rachel Bloom. I hope it's Ellie just because I find Rachel Bloom so unbelievably annoying. Yes, I know that's not a reason to not get an award, especially as I don't watch her show and she may be awesome in it but it's how I feel. I definitely think Titus from Kimmy Schmidt has a good shot of getting in the Supporting Actor in a Comedy. The Modern Family love is over so I don't see them having the strangle-hold that they've had on that category in the past. 

Personally I'm just here to see Rami Malek and Mr. Robot get their much deserved nominations. I know I should give up the dream but a small part of me is still hoping for an unexpected surprise in the Best Actor in a Drama and Freddie Highmore gets in. He is just so amazing in Bates Motel and it is really disappointing that he will never get any recognition for it. But who am I kidding, the Emmys are the LEAST surprising awards show. They'll nominate predictable and well past their prime shows like Downton Abbey and it'll be more of the same faces as usual, save for one or two new people.

• Love 1
(edited)

I was reading a Jezebel article this morning, and in the comments of the article, someone left a clip of the Black-ish episode where they discuss police brutality for the entire episode.  Specifically, it was the clip of Anthony Anderson discussing his fear when President Obama was elected.  I watched it again and remembered how outstanding not only the episode was, but how good he was in the episode.  If he can repeat a nomination this year and he submits that episode, I think he'd be very hard to beat.  At the very least, he'd give Jeffrey Tambor a serious run for his money.

And if the pundits are correct, and it's a competition between Ellie Kemper and Rachel Bloom for the nomination slot, I hope Rachel Bloom gets in there instead.  Not only was season 2 of Kimmy Schmidt a disappointment to me, but Rachel Bloom consistently knocks the singing and acting out of the park on CXG, not to mention being the showrunner, writer, and songwriter for the show.  Though, they could both possibly get it seeing as they'll be three actresses who were nominated last year who aren't eligible in the lead actor category this year - Edie Falco, Amy Poehler, and Lisa Kudrow.  

Edited by Princess Sparkle
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, Princess Sparkle said:

I was reading a Jezebel article this morning, and in the comments of the article, someone left a clip of the Black-ish episode where they discuss police brutality for the entire episode.  Specifically, it was the clip of Anthony Anderson discussing his fear when President Obama was elected.  I watched it again and remembered how outstanding not only the episode was, but how good he was in the episode.  If he can repeat a nomination this year and he submits that episode, I think he'd be very hard to beat.

And if the pundits are correct, and it's a competition between Ellie Kemper and Rachel Bloom for the nomination slot, I hope Rachel Bloom gets in there instead.  Not only was season 2 of Kimmy Schmidt a disappointment to me, but Rachel Bloom consistently knocks the singing and acting out of the park on CXG, not to mention being the showrunner, writer, and songwriter for the show.  Though, they could both possibly get it seeing as they'll be three actresses who were nominated last year who aren't eligible in the lead actor category this year - Edie Falco, Amy Poehler, and Lisa Kudrow.  

Oh man, I forgot about Rachel Bloom, I grew to love that show and I agree, she is juggling a lot of balls with lots of work behind the camera too.  It must be exhausting.  Wish more people watched. Many with an Emmy nom they will.

• Love 2

Yay for Tatiana Maslany getting her much deserved nom!!   She has some strong competition again. I believe Viola Davis won it last year right?

Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series
Claire Danes, “Homeland” (Showtime)
Viola Davis, “How to Get Away with Murder” (ABC)
Taraji P. Henson, “Empire” (Fox)
Tatiana Maslany, “Orphan Black” (BBC America)
Robin Wright, “House of Cards” (Netflix)
Keri Russell, “The Americans” (FX)

• Love 1

I'm so happy that Tatiana Maslany from Orphan Black and The  Americans got nominated but so sad that Bates Motel once again was ignored.  Vera Farmiga and Freddie Highmore have done such great work

• Love 4
(edited)

The Americans finally is shown some love  and gets noms for best Drama and best lead actor and actress.  Alison Wright and Holly Taylor got totally snubbed by not getting a nom for best supporting actresses but then the category just had to make room for all those nominations for GoT.  I am surprised it is not called best supporting GoT character.  (yes I am bitter.)

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 4
(edited)

Finally!!  The Americans!!! Keri Russell!! Matthew Rhys!! It's about damn time.

im also super happy about Tatiana Maslany and Constance Zimmer but would have loved to have seen Shiri Appleby sneak into the lead list Rachel has become one of my all time favourite tv characters.

I'm surprised (but pleased) that Julianna Marguiles didn't get a final season nom.

Most of the other nominations this year aren't as bad as they usually are. I could have done without Allison Janney's automatic nomination (even though I like her) and replaced Ellie Kemper with Constance Wu but  the nominees this year were definitely a pleasant surprise 

Edited by dippydee
  • Love 5
(edited)

And we have our nominations!  Biggest (and best!) surprise nominations for me are Constance Zimmer for UnREAL, Rupaul for Best Reality Show Host (though I wish Drag Race could've snuck into the Best Reality Show category), David Schwimmer for Best Supporting Actor (I didn't think he'd get in), and Matthew Rhys and Kerri Russell FINALLY getting recognized for their stellar work on The Americans.  There must've been a lot of ties in the voting categories, because we ended up with 7 nominees for Best Drama, Best Comedy, and Best Supporting Actor in a Comedy.

Biggest bummer for me is that once again, Andy Samberg is snubbed for his excellent work on Brooklyn Nine Nine.  He really should be in there over Will Forte, and I might even give him the edge over Thomas Middleditch as well (who I love, but I'd put him at 3rd funniest on his own show).  I wish TJ Miller or Zach Woods could've snuck in for Best Supporting Actor, but that category is pretty packed as it is.  I'm also bummed Rachel Bloom couldn't get in a nomination either; she has been fantastic on Crazy Ex-Girlfriend.  

I am surprised that Orange is the New Black got completely shut out in the major categories (I thought Uzo Aduba would be a lock for a nomination for sure) and that Christine Baransky missed for The Good Wife; I'm not as surprised that The Daily Show or Julianna Margulies missed on nominations.  

ETA - I forgot to mention that I wish Seth Meyers could've gotten a nomination for Best Talk Show.  Over the past year, he has become my favorite late night host; he is KILLING it with the political stuff this year, and right now is the best in the game at it.  Well, maybe second best to John Oliver, but Seth Meyers has to deal with quite a few constraints that John Oliver does not.

Edited by Princess Sparkle
  • Love 2
8 minutes ago, Princess Sparkle said:

There must've been a lot of ties in the voting categories, because we ended up with 7 nominees for Best Drama, Best Comedy, and Best Supporting Actor in a Comedy.

They expanded the Best Drama and Best Comedy categories to 7 slots last year.

I'm so disappointed Rachel Bloom wasn't nominted for Crazy Ex-Girlfriend. The CW really is cursed.

• Love 4

Yayyyyy Ellie Kemper! She was born to play Kimmy Schmidt, I don't know if this will necessarily be her year, but it's nice to see her get the recognition. Same with Tituss Burgess (who I'd say has a good shot, honestly).

Kate McKinnon, my love, my life, my everything. Will this finally be her year? Please?

I don't watch Orphan Black, but I'd still be pretty happy if Tatiana Maslany won Lead Actress in a Drama because I have so much respect for the work she must put into that show. Although I'm secretly hoping for Queen Viola to win again. If she submitted the second-to-last episode from this season, I'd say she has it in the bag.

I guess it's kind of weird that even though Cuba Gooding, Jr. played OJ Simpson in a series about OJ Simpson, I'd rather see the Lead Actor in a Miniseries go to Courtney B. Vance, because his Johnnie Cochran was a revelation. As for Supporting Actor, I feel like David Schwimmer might grab it based on name recognition/career resurrection (and I know people love actors known for comedy who cross over and do well in drama), and I think he would be more than deserving of it, but I'm hoping for an upset from my 2016 TV Boyfriend Sterling K. Brown.

It would be pretty cool if Sarah Paulson could walk away with two awards, but if she doesn't get the one for American Crime Story, I'm going to take it personally.

Three noms for Laurie Metcalf! Pretty sweet. Glad to see Getting On getting some love.

Sad but not surprised Eva Green got burnt for her Penny Dreadful work yet again. Her and Alison Wright on The Americans deserved it. But Olivia Colman!! Some pretty sweet nominations overall this year actually. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Her and Alison Wright on The Americans deserved it.

Honestly, I'm just glad that The Americans FINALLY got some damn recognition. It only took four damn seasons. Well, it gives me hope that maybe next year, they will finally recognize Freddie Highmore for his amazing work on Bates Motel, as it'll be the show's last season. 

I guess it's kind of weird that even though Cuba Gooding, Jr. played OJ Simpson in a series about OJ Simpson, I'd rather see the Lead Actor in a Miniseries go to Courtney B. Vance, because his Johnnie Cochran was a revelation. 

I actually think Courtney winning is far more likely than Cuba. If you followed most of the press and hype around the series, Courtney and Sarah were the ones people talked about the most in terms of their performances, along with Sterling Brown. I will be shocked if Courtney doesn't win. Unless they don't give it to either actor and just go for someone from another miniseries/movie.

I'm so disappointed Rachel Bloom wasn't nominted for Crazy Ex-Girlfriend. The CW really is cursed.

Guess the pundits were right about the competition between Crazy Ex-Girlfriend and Kimmy Schmidt. Most predicted that the voters would only go one way and both would not be nominated. If they went for Kimmy Schmidt, Ellie would get the nomination and vice versa if they went for Crazy Ex-Girlfriend. Definitely surprised, but not upset, about some complete shut outs - Big Bang Theory and OITNB to name a few. They could have left some others out in my opinion but whatever. As much as I'm not in love with House Of Cards like I used to be, I'm happy for Michael Kelly's nomination. He's been doing amazing work on the show since the first season and it's overdue in my opinion. 

Edited by truthaboutluv