Type keyword(s) to search

Grandfathered - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Where did Saget appear?  I missed it . . .

In the restaurant when Stamos is running around with the screaming baby, he passes Bob Saget who is dining with his wife/girlfriend/date? and Saget says something like "you don't want one of those right?" to her.

Edited by mansonlamps
  • Love 1

I know it was for the gag- but seriously there wasn't one server in that restaurant that he could not pull from the floor to watch the baby.  I would have killed to babysit over wait tables on certain nights!

I liked it for what it is.  It is a different enough premise, the cast is good, and it moved.  Certainly one of the better pilots I have seen recently.

• Love 2

I will definitely watch next week. I thought especially for pilot standards it was pretty good. I especially liked when he changed the wrong baby, and the end when he admitted to the botox (but not the face!) and hair "color". I'm watching that Grinder show now and I've been reading it's been reviewed as the better of the two shows on Fox tonight, but Grandfathered seemed to go by faster and at least to me was the better of the two pilots.

I quite liked it too, far funnier than The Grinder IMHO. Stamos and Brewster can do no wrong as far as I'm concerned, I really enjoyed Kelly Jenrette and most of the restaurant  staff, and Josh Peck was engaging enough. The bit with changing the wrong baby in the park really struck me as hilarious.

I'm a bit puzzled by Gerald saying how awful a job Jimmy did babysitting. Despite having it sprung on him with no warning or prior experience with kids, he kept his granddaughter close by and safe, checked on her constantly, quickly spotted that she was coming down with a fever (which he in no way could have prevented), literally ran her to the hospital to make sure it wasn't anything serious, and notified her grandma and parents like a responsible adult rather than engaging in some sitcom-ish coverup. Annalise is the only person who should be put out about him bringing her to the restaurant.

• Love 6

I'm a bit puzzled by Gerald saying how awful a job Jimmy did babysitting. Despite having it sprung on him with no warning or prior experience with kids, he kept his granddaughter close by and safe, checked on her constantly, quickly spotted that she was coming down with a fever (which he in no way could have prevented), literally ran her to the hospital to make sure it wasn't anything serious, and notified her grandma and parents like a responsible adult rather than engaging in some sitcom-ish coverup. Annalise is the only person who should be put out about him bringing her to the restaurant.

I was confused by that also.  At first I thought he was putting him on, similar to how Gerald's mother had just done with the liver donation thing.   But then it seemed like he was serious about it.   I thought Gerald would be pretty happy that the father he just met, who never knew he even existed, stepped up and was even ready to donate part of a major organ without pause.   That was a nice surprise, and further endeared the character to me.

Edited by AnnaRose
  • Love 5

I found it cute but not very funny - Josh Peck was the only one who made me chuckle. I much preferred the grinder but I'll probably stick with this too. Definitely a less quirky Raising Hope but I hope it can find its own voice.

Aw! This was both sweet and funny, and Stamos isn't bad to look at. The baby is cute too! I'm in.

However, I think both shows have a similar problem. The premise is better suited to making a cute theatrical comedy feature film than a long-running sitcom on TV. I'm not sure how long they can stretch this premise out. I imagine there will be a push and pull from John Stamos's character, trying to retain some semblance of his customary lifestyle while also adopting to his new "instant" family. But that's a balancing act that can't go on forever. The more he rejects his family, the more unlikable he becomes. On the other hand once he fully embraces his family the premise is sort of over.

I think it can last. This set-up has several themes it can draw from: workplace comedy, dealing with kids/grandkids, and Jimmy's love life (with Brewster?).

• Love 1

I expected an entire show about Stamos plowing through the seven stages of grief over being a grampy.  Total denial, with lapses from irresistible baby antics, followed by efforts to reaffirm his machismo, and ever so slowly succumbing to family connection.   Zzzzzz.

We didn't even get the mandatory gnashing of teeth when the baby destroys the most valuable thing in the swanky bachelor pad!  Is the Screenwriters Guild of America even involved here or has somebody hired ringers?

So nice to have Stamos stand on his balcony, taking in his new mish-mash family, as an endcap to the first episode and not the season finale.

• Love 7

John Stamos has always been very good with baby actors and child actors.  That's why he was with the Olsen twins so much in Full House.  Not only was it pairing the cute baby with the hot guy, but he genuinely gets really great reactions and interactions with babies.  It's nice to see he still has that charm for little ones.  I liked it, and will probably watch again, but do hope they continue to have the show develop different areas of his life, like the restaurant and his social life, as well as family hijinks.

• Love 2

I thought this was charming.  I only meant to have it on as background noise, but ended up acually paying attention and enjoying it.

Couple things I liked:

- The first close up of the baby with snot clearly running out of her nose.

- All of his staff giving him judgmental face after he brushed off his son and him appealing to them 'What am I supposed to do, buy him a baseball mitt, play catch with him and sing Cat in The Cradle?  Am I right Victor?" (non-white guy) and then 'white Victor?"   cue white Victor pulling off his chef's hat disgustedly and leaving.

- When he runs after them,  Cats in the Cradle starts playing and you think it is a musical cue, but then it is just the house band in his restaurant fucking with him. LOL

So yeah, there were some genuinely witty beats. Even though some stuff felt cliche, the writing felt sharp.  Also am liking the supporting cast.

• Love 9

I thought this was charming.  I only meant to have it on as background noise, but ended up acually paying attention and enjoying it.

Couple things I liked:

- The first close up of the baby with snot clearly running out of her nose.

- All of his staff giving him judgmental face after he brushed off his son and him appealing to them 'What am I supposed to do, buy him a baseball mitt, play catch with him and sing Cat in The Cradle?  Am I right Victor?" (non-white guy) and then 'white Victor?"   cue white Victor pulling off his chef's hat disgustedly and leaving.

- When he runs after them,  Cats in the Cradle starts playing and you think it is a musical cue, but then it is just the house band in his restaurant fucking with him. LOL

So yeah, there were some genuinely witty beats. Even though some stuff felt cliche, the writing felt sharp.  Also am liking the supporting cast.

That actually reminds me of the two moments I loved as well. The fact that Jimmy goes Victor, then white Victor? It's...refreshing, actually, to have the coloured Victor be referred to as just Victor. It may be just a minor thing, but also quite significant. Also, that darn musical cue cracked me up hard. Now, that's how you freshen up old jokes! 

• Love 3

Having watched Drake and Josh, I am so glad Josh Peck is back. Bonus, he actually does look like he could be the son of John Stamos but retains the air of being the biggest dork in the world.

Wait-holy space balls you mean to tell me its the fat kid? Gosh what happen? Did he get Steve Rogers super solider transformation.

I think I am only watching this show because I miss raising hope and hope (no pun) be similar to that show

• Love 1

Talented cast and some funny lines! 

John Stamos= my #1 celebrity crush. Looking a little thin, though. John needs to put on a few pounds. Still love him in everything he does.

#2 celebrity crush=Rob Lowe. So yeah, I'm in heaven. 

So many of the show's best moments involve the dialogue, such as Jimmy's reaction to finding out that Gerald's his son: "Why didn't you tell me I had a son? What if I was gay & I hit on him in a bar?" Even better is Jimmy's ex's definition of parenthood as "an endless stream of moments where you think you've killed your kid."

Post your favorite Grandfathered  quotes here.

Edited by DollEyes
While Jimmy struggles to adjust to his newfound family, Gerald surprises him with plans for the family's first trip to the beach, which excites everyone - except Jimmy. When he decides to bail on the outing in favor of a glamorous pool party nearby, he drags Gerald along, leaving Vanessa and Sara with a chance to get to know one another, for better or for worse.
I'm sitting here all dewy-eyed at the end of a 30-minute baby-centric sitcom on Fox.

That's not me.

Me too!  But then I think back to the "Raising Hope" pilot and downright bawling when Virginia sang "Danny's Song" to Hope and it makes more sense.  The show isn't perfect, particularly in how desperately it's trying to be progressive in writing its female characters - I like you!  Let's be friends! - was cringeworthy dialogue, but there's an inherent sweetness that was unexpected, and the characters are far more self-aware than the pilot made them appear.  I watched this episode because I accidentally set a season pass last week when I tried to watch the pilot (I too am a sucker for Stamos) and then it appeared in my dvr like magic.  I'm glad it did.  Two episodes in, I find this show charming and heartwarming and downright adorable.  I think I'm in as long as it lasts.

• Love 3

OK.  So it's not just me.  I find myself liking this show.  A lot.  I read some reviews that compared it unfavorably to The Grinder, and so far anyway, I like this show better.  And it can't be just the nostalgia for John Stamos, because I loved me some Wonder Years back in the day.

• Love 7

What is with someone narrating the stage directions?  I can see that he is eating and entering the kitchen

Did you have some enhanced viewing audio channel on because this show doesn't have narration.

• Love 3

What is with someone narrating the stage directions?  I can see that he is eating and entering the kitchen 

This happened to me a few weeks ago.  For some reason, the descriptive narration came on whenever I was on TNT, but no other channel, and I got all the descriptions (meant for the sight challenged) for Law & Order.  It was annoying.  But I didn't get them in this show.

I didn't like this as much as the pilot but it was very likable.  I think what's holding me back from loving it is that I still feel as if they're more in 'establish characters' mode than 'tell a story' mode that will allow the comedy to expand. 

I find myself liking this show.  A lot.  I read some reviews that compared it unfavorably to The Grinder, and so far anyway, I like this show better.  

Ditto.  I decided tonight that the characters on Grinder are basically likable, but each has an annoying aspect.  Celebrity brother interferes with the child rearing, father favors one brother over the other, lawyer brother. . .kind of a mess.

On Grandfathered, I just love everybody.

• Love 2

I got the descripted narration too, and was wondering what in the world it was? So not everybody heard that? Oh well, I'm having fun watching the show, and even my 18 year old son is watching it with me, he was a huge fan of both Full House and Drake and Josh about 10 years ago. 

I like seeing the relationship between all of the main characters develop. Even the coworkers at that party were pretty amusing. And that last scene in the beach going into the ocean, I just thought that was perfect. 

• Love 1

Most of this episode I had a hard time enjoying because I felt that John's character went so far the other direction than he did on the 1st episode.  The 1st episode he seemed happily involved with his new family, and this one he was quite the jerk.  He redeemed himself in the end, but I had a hard time understanding the big swing in character.

• Love 2

Most of this episode I had a hard time enjoying because I felt that John's character went so far the other direction than he did on the 1st episode.  The 1st episode he seemed happily involved with his new family, and this one he was quite the jerk.  He redeemed himself in the end, but I had a hard time understanding the big swing in character.

I felt that way at the start also. Not sure if it was a disconnect between the pilot and the rest of the season (which would be made funnier by the intro scene to the Grinder). Or if we were supposed to see that he thought his job as a father/grandfather was done after his first episode interactions. 

I'm sure we'll get a number of episodes where he's torn between the responsibilities of his carefree lifestyle and being a family man.

• Love 1

Did you have some enhanced viewing audio channel on because this show doesn't have narration.

I got the descripted narration too, and was wondering what in the world it was? So not everybody heard that?

Oh, good, it wasn't just me!  I think someone in a control room somewhere accidentally switched on the narration for the visually impaired, so whether you heard it or not probably depends on what market and/or time zone you were watching in.  It stopped partway through, as soon as someone realized the mistake.  I'm glad, because I had myself thinking that one of the cats had stepped on the new teevee remote, and I'd have to spend 3 hours trying to figure out how to turn the narration off :)

• Love 4

OK.  So it's not just me.  I find myself liking this show.  A lot.  I read some reviews that compared it unfavorably to The Grinder, and so far anyway, I like this show better.  And it can't be just the nostalgia for John Stamos, because I loved me some Wonder Years back in the day.

I was prepared to like The Grinder better, but I have to say that I've been won over by Grandfathered. All of the actors are doing great work - loving Josh Peck!

• Love 3

I liked this episode so much more than the pilot.  For me, the pilot was so frenetic - the pacing of the jokes was way too quick.  I just kept thinking that nobody speaks like that, and I can't even catch the jokes to understand why they're funny.  So self-conscious.

This episode I thought was way better.  There were so many laughs for me.  Stamos still has incredible comic timing.  I love him at the beach -- he was pouring San Pelligrino over his feet?  And he also had like a tiny beach chair just to put them up on?  It reminded me of the hilarious Diva type things that Rogelio does on Jane the Virgin.

I loved the two coworkers vowing to kill each other at the "Same time" after the white party.  I have a coworker where we've made that vow many times.  

Josh Peck's character is so earnest.  "And then they went to do a lot of cocaine."  "Yeah that'll happen."

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3

I'm still enjoying the show, but I still feel like it's based on a premise that's going to wear out very quickly. There was also apparently a huge drop in the ratings this week so the show might be in trouble. Still, it's easily one of the best new shows this fall IMO. I've been racking my brain trying to figure out where I've seen Paget Brewster before so I finally looked her up on IMDB.com and lo and behold, she's Dodo on Another Period. Knock me over with a feather.

• Love 3

I loved that Jimmy actually ended up wearing the swimsuit that the European party guy stripped off and handed him. A lesser show would have played a grossed-out reaction for laughs, but while his expression said he was surprised, practicality ruled the day.

Also loved it when Vanessa instantly transformed from vapid selfie-taker to switchblade-waving mama bear scaring away that entire group of beatniks. She won me over in the same moment she did Sara.

• Love 3

I loved this episode way more than the pilot. The pilot seemed rushed and seemed aimed on delivering one message as fast as they could. This one flowed together smoothly and was so cute. Plus, a lot of laugh out loud moments.

"Shamylan." That was hilarious. I also fell in love with Vanessa when she suddenly transformed into Mama Bear. She was the one I wasn't sure about, but it somehow took only two episodes for me to change my mind.

Edie's still really cute, and I still really love the family moments, especially at the end.

• Love 3

I should trot over to Unpopular Opinions because I hated this.  It seemed very phony to me and I thought the acting was bad.

I had mixed feelings about it, because I get what they were going for - showing how much Baby-Mama cares for her daughter - but the knife thing was just so over the top that it made her seem more like a psychopath.

Edited by AnnaRose
  • Love 5

It is SO WEIRD seeing Paget in a role like this. She reminds me a lot of Courtney Cox, but I think I like Paget better.  Edie is so cute, aww. 

I think I'm liking this one so far. I like how Jimmy is (kind of?? sort of?) trying to embrace his family (and I have this weak spot for watching John Stamos with babies. He's so good with them.) Idk, for me, the weak spot is Josh Peck, but I'm honestly not a fan of his. The character is okay, but I'm just not a fan of the actor. 

I actually liked this episode more than the pilot. Loved Paget and Christina's scenes together. They're more alike than she realizes. Also, when Christina's character (I will learn these names eventually) was talking about how much money she could make on youtube, I definitely considered changing my own life plan. 

However, I'm torn on when Christina's character went all mama bear, because it was understandable, but also only pushed the craxy black woman stereotype. im not a fan of that.

That last scene was so cute.

I found this episode too predictable. I also found Vanessa's drum stabbing psychotic and I thought I was watching a completely different show. I did have a couple laughs (mostly in the first half) but overall underwhelming for me.

• Love 1

I do like this show, but also thought the drum stabbing was just a little weird. But also glad that they showed another side to Vanessa, since I was really not liking her self absorbed persona, although it was all-too realistic.

I like Paget Brewster in this. I had only seen her in Criminal Minds before, so this is a big difference and she is doing comedy very well.

John Stamos is very fun to watch too.

• Love 1