Type keyword(s) to search

Grandfathered - General Discussion

• Start Topic

There must be as much pressure in Hollywood for the men to be thin as there is for women. John Stamos looks positively skeletal. If the camera adds 10 lbs, I can't imagine what he looks like in person.  Still hot as hell, though. Just an observation.

Hmmm, interesting. I saw the picture of his naked butt and I also watch the show and I've never had that thought. Except for the hot as hell part I mean. I'll have to pay closer attention.

OMG.  I had to delurk to express my extreme annoyance with this episode and the unusually crappy writing tonight.  What did Sarah do when she broke up with Bruce the last time?  Call that person please.  And Gerald needs a suicide watch because he broke up with a girl he's been dating for two months?  So they don't have a single friend outside their family?  Really?  Eddie won't bathe without "Bimmy?"  That doesn't even make any sense. Jimmy was actually trying to balance his friends with his new found responsibilities like an adult and these leeches can't give him 12 hours?  Jesus.   And let me say that I loathed that Ronnie reveal himself to be jealous of Jimmy's new family.  That's not a family--it's a pack of co-dependents.

• Love 4

To be fair, Sarah wasn't being all that needy, and her situation was one I can actually see someone being down in the dumps and needing support over. (Gerald's, on the other hand, wasn't that traumatic considering he'd just started dating this flaky Frankie chick after at least a couple YEARS being hung up on Vanessa. If he wasn't a wreck after finally giving up on that I don't see why a brief fling that obviously wasn't serious ending bothered him so much.)

Vanessa not being able to handle taking care of her own daughter by herself for one night did not impress, however. Nor did Saget's whiny baby tantrum that someone might choose to be there for his own kid over a meaningless party with a bunch of middle-aged guys desperately trying to score with women half their ages. Just drive down Hollywood Boulevard and wave some twenties out your car window, dude.

• Love 1

I admit I multitasked while watching this, but nothing about it grabbed me at all.  I think it is mainly that very few of the characters interest me, or when they have the potential to do so they act like idiots.  I really have to give this one up.  I don't know why I keep watching.  

• Love 2

I did crack up at Vanessa trying to figure out all the remotes and all the gadgets in Gerald's apartment coming to life and out of control. But when Jimmy walked in at the end in a bathrobe I was kind of like "Whoa, is he going to take a bath with Edie naked?" It kind of freaked me out.

Not one of the stronger episodes for sure. I've never cared much for Bob Saget, personally.

• Love 2

I did crack up at Vanessa trying to figure out all the remotes and all the gadgets in Gerald's apartment coming to life and out of control. But when Jimmy walked in at the end in a bathrobe I was kind of like "Whoa, is he going to take a bath with Edie naked?" It kind of freaked me out.

Yeah, giving your two-year-old granddaughter a bath is one thing.  Actually climbing into the tub with her goes right into Squicksville (even if you ARE wearing a swimsuit!).

• Love 1

Gerald's, on the other hand, wasn't that traumatic considering he'd just started dating this flaky Frankie chick after at least a couple YEARS being hung up on Vanessa. If he wasn't a wreck after finally giving up on that I don't see why a brief fling that obviously wasn't serious ending bothered him so much.

Blame that on Sarah.  She simply had no idea how to raise a boy, so she raised him with a more feminine outlook and approach to life, which was the only frame of reference that she had.  Now, that's not to say that there's anything wrong with the so-called traditional "feminine" values of compassion, sensitivity, and the free expression of one's emotions (even Jimmy has admitted that he probably wouldn't have been the best role model for Gerald in the long run if he'd been told about Gerald's existence from the get-go), but at the same time, Sarah failed to instill in Gerald any of the appropriate adult coping mechanisms.  That's why he reacts to every disappointment in his life with all the emotional maturity of a 14-year-old girl who's just been dumped by her "boyfriend" of two weeks.

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 1

"I did crack up at Vanessa trying to figure out all the remotes and all the gadgets in Gerald's apartment coming to life and out of control."

I could identify. Spent the holidays with my cousin. He wasn't there when I arrived. Went to turn on the television, but he had it hooked up through speakers, and damned if I could figure out how to turn it on. Nor could I get linked to the wifi. No one knew the password. So, I wound up reading a book:)

Edited by wonderwoman
  • Love 1

I've got to give Vanessa credit, at least she didn't call Gerald and ruin his night by asking him how to work all the remotes. I felt bad that Jimmy couldn't have a guys night out without all the drama.  

• Love 1

I forgot about the Japanese anime version of The Little Mermaid (if that's what it was supposed to be) scaring the crap out of poor Edie. That cracked me up too. 

Aside from Bob Saget what didn't really work for me was the whole cliche about Jimmy trying to round up the "old gang" and party like they were still frat boys in their teens or early 20s. Seems like I've seen that same scenario about a thousand times in movies and other sitcoms.

• Love 1

Aside from Bob Saget what didn't really work for me was the whole cliche about Jimmy trying to round up the "old gang" and party like they were still frat boys in their teens or early 20s. Seems like I've seen that same scenario about a thousand times in movies and other sitcoms.

Well, to be fair, it's hard when you realize that your Peter Pan days are pretty much over.  Besides, Jimmy had a point -- he does have a right to a life outside of his new-found family responsibilities, and it really wasn't fair of everyone to expect him to just drop his plans and come running simply because they couldn't handle a few minor crises by themselves for one evening.  So I didn't mind his complaining about it even as he was preparing to give Edie her bath (simply because he's a doting grandfather who can't resist the urge to spoil her rotten).  For once, he had a legitimate complaint.

• Love 3

OMG.  I had to delurk to express my extreme annoyance with this episode and the unusually crappy writing tonight.  What did Sarah do when she broke up with Bruce the last time?  Call that person please.  And Gerald needs a suicide watch because he broke up with a girl he's been dating for two months?  So they don't have a single friend outside their family?  Really?  Eddie won't bathe without "Bimmy?"  That doesn't even make any sense. Jimmy was actually trying to balance his friends with his new found responsibilities like an adult and these leeches can't give him 12 hours?  Jesus.   And let me say that I loathed that Ronnie reveal himself to be jealous of Jimmy's new family.  That's not a family--it's a pack of co-dependents.

The outrage me laugh; please to delurk more often.

I don't know why I keep watching.  

Me neither.  Stunt-casting Dr. Phil should have been the final nail in the coffin.  Slow tv night, I guess, plus John Stamos is going to sail on into his dotage being adorably twinkle-y. 

• Love 1

I keep waiting for the episode when Jimmy needs a kidney, and Gerald steps up to be a donor, and it's discovered that he doesn't even share a strand of DNA with Jimmy. But Jimmy decides to stay his 'father' anyway. Maybe it'll be the season finale?

• Love 1

Yep. I mean, I understand Vanessa not wanting Gerald to know, but she does not need Sara's permission to put her daughter in a commercial. And I  didn't see Gerald consulting with her before giving Jimmy a list of activities for Edie, so they obviously both take the initiative at times without making consensus decisions.

Dumb episode. Agree that Sara would/should have no say in whether or not Edie should be a model if Vanessa wants her to be one. Hated that they had Annelise act completely out of character. Once again looking at Stamos is the only reason to tune in.

• Love 1

Hated that they had Annelise act completely out of character.

I'm not sure she was out of character. They keep surprising me with this character; at first she was "smart capable black woman who does all the work", but we're seeing her flaws.

I'm not sure she was out of character. They keep surprising me with this character; at first she was "smart capable black woman who does all the work", but we're seeing her flaws.

Agreed. I don't think we know enough about her to say much is out of character. My take was that she pursues everything she's interested in with the same aggressive passion that she pursues her career. Almost to the point of obsessiveness. We saw the same thing last week with her interest in Jimmy's safe. 

We also learned that she has never really dated much, so it makes sense that she might get attached too early and react poorly to an uncomfortable situation.

• Love 3

To be fair, Jess actually was faking a multi-day illness while having some other random woman over for a make-out session, so Annelise's reaction didn't turn out to be all that poor. At least her instincts were on the money, however crazy they sounded during her talk with Ravi.

Personally, I enjoyed seeing a more human side of Annelise. And I'm tuning in as much for baby Edie as I am for Stamos. I'm happily child-free, but she's adorable. He sure is a natural with her. Probably calling on his experience with the Olsen twins back in the day.

• Love 1

I can't help but be charmed every time Stamos and the little girl who plays Edie are on screen together. The ending was just too cute. This show may have its flaws, but it's been one of my favorites of this past fall season. I pretty much enjoy all the characters and I like all the actors. 

• Love 2
In an effort to beef up the cool factor of his restaurant, Jimmy throws a party for Chason Fairwick - one of the biggest pop stars around - which includes decking out his restaurant in full '80's garb. Meanwhile, Ravi believes the secret to boosting reservations lays in tableside guacamole.

As always Edie was super cute. I loved her dancing to that terrible song and Gerald's reaction to her doing so. I liked the whole premise, that in order to stay really relevant/cutting edge in LA you need to get 'impressive' bodies in the seats. The nouveaux celebrities know that and can exploit it. I was kind of hoping that Gerald, the singer's new bestie, could have borrowed the phone and done a tweet for Chayson, although I suppose Chayson probably doesn't do his own tweeting at all. 

• Love 1

Sara to young cute guy: "I'm probably 20 years older than you are."

Young cute guy, surprised: "Wow, you're 38?!"

Sara: "...... Yes.  Yes I am."

Paget Brewster and I are the same age so the whole 80's/age thing with her was especially funny to me.

• Love 3

Sara: "...... Yes.  Yes I am."

Paget Brewster and I are the same age so the whole 80's/age thing with her was especially funny to me.

I'd buy it, but I'm terminally in love with Paget Brewster.

This show is painfully stupid most of the time, but then Jimmy interacts with Edie and my heart just melts all over again.  If the show was rebooted as Jimmy raising his newly discovered granddaughter with the help of his zany staff, while battling old feelings for his old girlfriend who's working as his hostess, I'd enjoy it so much more!  Cutting out Gerald and Vanessa, and making Sara unrelated to Edie, would go super far in making the show better.

Dick Casablancas was amusing in 2004.  In 2016, Ryan Hansen needs a new character he can play to exhaustion.

Sara: "...... Yes.  Yes I am."

Since it channeled my fave "30 Rock" episode, I enjoyed it a bit too much too.  

• Love 2

I'm one of those people who generally isn't thrilled with teeny kids on shows. But man, they found a gem with the girl playing Edie. She's adorable, and the scenes with her and John Stamos together are always just fantastic. Someone found some magic in that combo. Her dancing on this episode was pretty much the highlight.

The show is pretty uneven, but I still tune in each week, because I really love the whole cast.

• Love 1

Ryan Hansen

Acht! Thanks for providing the name I was going nuts trying to figure out where I'd seen him before. He played "Candy Andy" on 2 Broke Girls. (Yes, I watch that show, don't judge. I know it sucks.)

Ugh, the 80's - the most hideous decade of the 20th century. 

• Love 1
I'm one of those people who generally isn't thrilled with teeny kids on shows. But man, they found a gem with the girl playing Edie. She's adorable, and the scenes with her and John Stamos together are always just fantastic. Someone found some magic in that combo.

She is played by adorable twins. Stamos' instagram has a lot of pictures with both of them. 

zKkwOcw.jpg?1

Edited by BoogieBurns
  • Love 5

From my POV, we have seen Anneliese only as very strong and capable in her daily life. Then suddenly, something happens where we see her insecurities - a whole other side of her, in fact. To me that's a good thing, because it's pretty much as happens in real life. We all have our "moments," so to speak. Sometimes it's nice to see a c**** in someone's armor, and in fact may help solidify her relationship with the rest of the staff. 

• Love 1

Doesn't Vanessa live with her grandmother? It suddenly occurred to me that she's always with Gerald's family, they are the ones who take care of Edie, etc. Seems a little odd that we wouldn't even hear a MENTION of Grandma Vanessa, even some throwaway line like from Sara like "I can watch Edie this morning; maybe your grandma can help with the afternoon?", whatever.

This show is painfully stupid most of the time, but then Jimmy interacts with Edie and my heart just melts all over again.  If the show was rebooted as Jimmy raising his newly discovered granddaughter with the help of his zany staff, while battling old feelings for his old girlfriend who's working as his hostess, I'd enjoy it so much more!  Cutting out Gerald and Vanessa, and making Sara unrelated to Edie, would go super far in making the show better.

From your post to the producer's ear. Gerald and Vanessa as characters are beyond dull, and the actors who play them can't hold a candle to the rest of the cast.

I really want to like this show but it's pretty uneven and one too many deadweight characters (coughVanessacough.)  However the casting team deserve a fruit basket in finding the twins that play Edie.  They just radiate happiness when they're on.  And I NEVER say that about child actors. 

• Love 2

The twins playing Edie are adorable, something I never thought about the Olsens. Judging by the photo above, left twin probably does all the active stuff, while right twin is probably brought in when the stage direction reads "Edie sits calmly and quietly."

• Love 3