Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

13 hours ago, Totally said:

That poor baby with her head just flopping around ???

Hey, baby has no corpus callosum, so the head doesn't NEED to be supported. . . 

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Okay, I usually don't make direct comments on someones actual looks and features, but oh my, that last picture of Mr JillR really is an argument for evolution isn't it?

Agreed on not generally commenting on looks and features that can't be helped, but it's his  ears that get me - they're just not human...

• Love 7
On 5/27/2018 at 5:09 PM, Portia said:

If you told me that's not Jill's actual hair but in fact a wig from a cheap Dolly Parton Halloween costume, I would 1000% believe you.

If you blow the picture up you can see a gap on the right side near her forehead. I can see her wearing a weave because how much time can she truly have with that many kids to get her hair all 80's prom like?

(edited)

I think that it’s her real hair. 

As far as having time to devote to getting herself prom-ready, I think that she has ALLLLLLL the time in the world. After all, she has how many helpmeets in training who are most likely not working at their own SOTDRT since the queen bee is recovering from her ordeal and unable to “learn” them. 

She will probably nurse the little blessing and pass her on down to her assistant.  Because Mama needs to get camera ready.  Get used to it, kids...Mama wants to be a Duggar!

Edited by Lady Edith
  • Love 5

Chimpy looks miserable.

Seriously, Jill‘s hair is exactly like what we would do in junior high in the 80s when we were all trying to outdo each other with who could have the highest teased and sprayed bangs! 

• Love 9
On 5/27/2018 at 1:34 PM, tabloidlover said:

Why is neither of them supporting her head???

48041627-A5E6-491C-AC72-6CE792CD65D1.jpeg

If they don't have sweet fellowship in the dark, I have zero clue how she gets through it without puking...off to the prayer closet I will be. 

• Love 4
On 5/22/2018 at 1:06 PM, Sew Sumi said:

I think most of us here are well aware of the Camerons. I've slammed both Kirky and Cammy on this forum. 

This board is more aware of the dangers of the cute, "normal" looking fundies than you give us credit for. As you said, the prettier the package, the more likely people will fall for the bullshit. I think that most of us here are past that.

As a few others have pointed out, there will always be new people who think Fundies are a narrower group than they really are. The message was of course not intended for the many people here who are already aware!

On 5/22/2018 at 2:45 PM, madpsych78 said:

Sounds like Jessa, and Michelle for that matter. Maybe even Anna.

But not Jill, Jinger, or Joy. Not sure about Kendra.

The lucky Fundy women are the ones with husbands who don't care much about the leadership/submission doctrine and pretty much sit back and let their wife run things. That is absolutely Jessa. The unlucky ones end up with husbands who thrive on control. I've known a few in real life, and of course we'd never see it on camera, but I really wonder about TFDW (Anna's sister Priscilla's husband David Waller.) I think others have also said they could easily see anger and contempt lurking just below the surface. I'm with those who wonder about Austin too.

On 5/22/2018 at 4:17 PM, BitterApple said:

Not gonna lie, I love Candace's Hallmark movies.

They're so beyond cheesy, but my mom and I have a Hallmark Christmas movie tradition and she has been good in a few of them.

On 5/22/2018 at 8:18 PM, RedheadZombie said:

That's because abortion causes school shootings.  Work that one out.

I love feisty little Janessa.  She's not only side-eyeing the horrific headband, she's trying her hardest to remove it.

Ugh, so agreed.  There was a mini-series called Torchwood:  Miracle Day.  The character of Gwen had a baby daughter who was being watched by grandma.   Gwen returns, takes her baby in her arms, frowns at the ridiculous thing on her head, removes it and tosses it on the ground.  Why can't we think of the children?

Another Torchwood watcher?? I've never met one! I'm not sure I ever finished that final season though. It was so different and I had a harder time getting into it.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Fuzzysox said:

If you blow the picture up you can see a gap on the right side near her forehead. I can see her wearing a weave because how much time can she truly have with that many kids to get her hair all 80's prom like?

If you blow the picture up you can see a steel band across her whitened teeth.  She's wearing braces.  She surely spends a ton of money on her appearance when it is her husband who needs the dental work, ear pinning surgery and a gastric bypass.

Counting On 2.png

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Mollie said:

If you blow the picture up you can see a steel band across her whitened teeth.  She's wearing braces.  She surely spends a ton of money on her appearance when it is her husband who needs the dental work, ear pinning surgery and a gastric bypass.

Counting On 2.png

And her kids need to eat. 

• Love 22
4 hours ago, becca3891 said:

As a few others have pointed out, there will always be new people who think Fundies are a narrower group than they really are. The message was of course not intended for the many people here who are already aware!

The lucky Fundy women are the ones with husbands who don't care much about the leadership/submission doctrine and pretty much sit back and let their wife run things. That is absolutely Jessa. The unlucky ones end up with husbands who thrive on control. I've known a few in real life, and of course we'd never see it on camera, but I really wonder about TFDW (Anna's sister Priscilla's husband David Waller.) I think others have also said they could easily see anger and contempt lurking just below the surface. I'm with those who wonder about Austin too.

They're so beyond cheesy, but my mom and I have a Hallmark Christmas movie tradition and she has been good in a few of them.

Another Torchwood watcher?? I've never met one! I'm not sure I ever finished that final season though. It was so different and I had a harder time getting into it.

Miracle Day is the only season I watched, but I'm contemplating seeking out other seasons.  I really liked it, but the giant sucking vagina was beyond strange.

7 hours ago, becca3891 said:

Torchwood watcher here! 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Fosca said:

He looks like he's never held a baby in his life and that he's afraid he's going to break her or she's going to vomit/poo on him.

He's a man, he doesn't hold babies, except when faking it for pictures.  Even if I wasn't appalled by his beliefs, he would still be one of the most unfortunate looking men I have ever seen.  The Duggars all look like movie stars next to this guy.

As for Jill, it's pretty clear that no expense is spared when it comes to her looks.  The kids can go without food, but Mama needs her Lady Clairol.  Not surprised that she's wearing braces, either.  I seem to recall they suckered some fundy orthodontist into free braces for the kids; Jill probably cried until he fixed her teeth, too. Interesting that she gets the clear braces while the kids go full metal mouth.

• Love 14
(edited)
3 hours ago, doodlebug said:

He's a man, he doesn't hold babies, except when faking it for pictures.  Even if I wasn't appalled by his beliefs, he would still be one of the most unfortunate looking men I have ever seen.  The Duggars all look like movie stars next to this guy.

As for Jill, it's pretty clear that no expense is spared when it comes to her looks.  The kids can go without food, but Mama needs her Lady Clairol.  Not surprised that she's wearing braces, either.  I seem to recall they suckered some fundy orthodontist into free braces for the kids; Jill probably cried until he fixed her teeth, too. Interesting that she gets the clear braces while the kids go full metal mouth.

Actually a poster on FJ attended a revival just because the R's were going to be there.  She said that David sat in the audience with the youngest kids and was very attentive to them while Jill and the other kids were performing on stage. 

After the performance, the older girls immediately joined David and helped him with the kids while Jill grabbed the youngest one (still a baby) and chatted with other audience members.  The poster said that it was a hot day and of course Jill had the kids overdressed for the temperature, even she and David were sweating. 

The poster chatted with Jill for a couple of minutes and found Jill to be gracious and polite.  David and the kids stayed in the background and didn't do anything to draw attention to themselves.  Even the youngest kids were quiet and well behaved.  When Jill had enough schmoozing, she went to the group and with just a couple of words everyone stood up and followed her and David away. 

The poster felt so bad for the kids because they looked so thin and overheated, she discussed with her husband arranging to pay for the whole family to go to the local pizza parlor.  She thought getting the kids into an air conditioned room with a lot of food would be the best thing she could do for them, but when she went to find the Rod's, they'd already left.

Edited by Zahdii
spelling
  • Love 10

When I enlarged the photo of JillR's Dolly-hair, it looks like there's a row of something on her teeth - like thin braces or a retainer? Anyone else see it?

11 hours ago, Mollie said:

Counting On 2.png

You beat me to it!

1 hour ago, OpieTaylor said:

When I enlarged the photo of JillR's Dolly-hair, it looks like there's a row of something on her teeth - like thin braces or a retainer? Anyone else see it?

You beat me to it!

Poor Gabriel needs braces..

• Love 1
2 hours ago, DragonFaerie said:

Between, plexus, spanx, hair dye, aqua net, braces, makeup and nail polish, how much money does Jill suck off the family every year?

Probably quite a bit that should be going to feed those poor skeletal children. OTOH, Jill married Chimp knowing what he looked like b/c she loved him and didn't care. She is probably terrified that if she doesn't keep up her own looks that he will start looking for someone else to make him sandwiches.

• Love 7

The Radford family from Great Britain is on track to beat both the Duggars and the Bates in terms of number of children born: Sue is pregnant with #21 (though technically they’ll have 20 living children, one baby was stillborn at 23 weeks gestation).

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5782453/Britains-biggest-family-bigger-announce-21st-baby.html

Unlike the aforementioned families, Radfords aren’t of any particular religious denomination; their pathological need for children stems from both parents being adopted. All of the children were singleton vaginal births, and the mom has been having babies since she was 14. They would have had several more had they not waited for 4 years to have more kids because the mom was so young. With Sue being only 43, there’s a good chance this baby girl won’t be their last.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, ChaChaSlide said:

The Radford family from Great Britain is on track to beat both the Duggars and the Bates in terms of number of children born: Sue is pregnant with #21 (though technically they’ll have 20 living children, one baby was stillborn at 23 weeks gestation).

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5782453/Britains-biggest-family-bigger-announce-21st-baby.html

Unlike the aforementioned families, Radfords aren’t of any particular religious denomination; their pathological need for children stems from both parents being adopted. All of the children were singleton vaginal births, and the mom has been having babies since she was 14. They would have had several more had they not waited for 4 years to have more kids because the mom was so young. With Sue being only 43, there’s a good chance this baby girl won’t be their last.

In December, a woman in Jerusalem, Israel, gave birth to her 20th child.  She is a 42-year-old grandmother and all of her children are living.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/jerusalem-woman-gives-birth-to-her-20th-child/

Because she is from the ultra-orthodox religious sector, the woman does not allow photographs of herself. 

• Love 1
19 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Maybe there's a career for him in this. (and heaven knows he needs one)..... He might make some decent money by renting himself out to stand next to other folks in photos to make them look good. ... Because it would work EVERY time. 

• Love 4

Folks, we know that many people (here and elsewhere) think that David Rodrigues is pretty unfortunate looking, and that in the past, we haven't modded for posts comparing him to a monkey. We don't think anyone here is intending to be racist with this comparison, but given historical use of such terminology, and the current climate and high feelings in the real world, it feels insensitive to let it continue; so we're asking that you all refrain from referring to him that way going forward. 

• Love 23
(edited)

I think unfortunate looking is the best term anyway. 

My best friend's nephew has several children, the youngest when he was an infant looked like a bullet, no neck and well.... we called him unfortunate looking.... the term always makes me smile. 

Edited by libgirl2
3 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

I think unfortunate looking is the best term anyway. 

My best friend's nephew has several children, the youngest when he was an infant looked like a bullet, no neck and well.... we called him unfortunate looking.... the term always makes me smile. 

You mean, <smile> ??

• Love 4

Between the Maxhells and the Rodders, there isn't a pick on them who's more hateful. The Maxhells provide a slightly more amusing bend because at least their children are not skeletal underweight starving little things, although their crazy father practices food control. But they are adults and could leave. The Rodders don't get that choice.

Jill is a despiccable person. I need to compile a list of people I detest the most......she'll be right up there.

Why do people do this to each other?

• Love 1
4 hours ago, MunichNark said:

Between the Maxhells and the Rodders, there isn't a pick on them who's more hateful. The Maxhells provide a slightly more amusing bend because at least their children are not skeletal underweight starving little things, although their crazy father practices food control. But they are adults and could leave. The Rodders don't get that choice.

Jill is a despiccable person. I need to compile a list of people I detest the most......she'll be right up there.

Why do people do this to each other?

I think the Andersons need to be on that list too. And for the weirdness factor , the Arndts , the family where nobody ever leaves .

On 5/27/2018 at 5:38 PM, Catfin said:

This picture startled me into realizing she looks like my husband's ex wife and he looks like her hapless 2nd husband. She has since divorced him, realized she's lesbian, married her partner and bought a biker bar. ? 

I forgot about them  is the baby healthy? Nuri got married? 

7 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

Baby Janessa is meeting all milestones, so far.  And Nurie's purple gum-bearing boyfriend has not been mentioned, or seen, in months.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

The baby was born with a birth defect of her brain, she lacks a corpus callosum which is the part that connects the two hemispheres so they can work in unison.  Some kids with this problem do very well, most have a variety of disabilities, some are mildly affected, others severely.  In other words, it's a wait and see proposition at this point.

Nurie had some guy who was interested and came to visit and we were treated to pictures of the amazing gifts he gave her like chewing gum.  After he left, not another word about him and she's still home and not courting, let alone married.  We speculate that he got one look at her nutty family up close and ran for the hills.  Nurie still wears a shit-ton of makeup and has her hair done up in very dated 90's style.

• Love 6
12 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

JillR's oldest, Timothy, "did GREAT" on his SATs. Guess he'll be off to Washington soon.

So, does this mean he plans to attend a real college?  I thought he was going to be an airplane minister via some online fundy course, or am I confusing him with someone else? Do those sorts of 'higher learning' experiences require SAT's?

OK, so I'm glad that Timothy did well on the SAT and was accepted to Washington State. But the way Jill's "Homeschooling works" sentence reads, makes me want to tell her that MANY public school students have done well on the ACT, SAT, and have gotten into the schools of their choice. It just seemed so condescending. 

• Love 12
9 minutes ago, louannems said:

It's a fundie college, she mentioned the name but I don't remember.

Here’s part of a post by Jill:

Moody Aviation in Spokane, Washington offers the BEST aviation program in the country and keeps the students focused on their calling—Missionary Aviation. This training will consist of a vigorous 5 year program. The first year is Bible training, the next 2 years – airplane maintenance and the last 2 years – obtaining his pilot’s license. Timothy will leave WELL equipped in this field once he is finished!
We have prayed intently and counseled with our Pastor about this decision. It was a hard one to make because we are well aware that Moody Bible Institute errs on the side of Calvinism and is not solid on the KJV Bible. However, we were blessed to learn that they offered the option of the first year of Bible training ONLINE! We were also excited that they do not force him to use other versions than the KJV. We are encouraged that the first year of college, he will still live here with us as he does his work through correspondence. This will allow him the opportunity to discuss any areas of confusion with his Dad and Pastors at our church. We pray he comes out of this stronger in his knowledge of TRUTH in the Word of God!! Also, we were glad to learn that they encourage their students to get involved in a local church ministry. So, we look forward to flying out to Washington State the beginning of 2019 to look for a GOOD, solid, Bible-believing, fundamental Baptist Church for him to faithfully serve in upon his arrival there in the Fall of 2019.
During Timothy’s first year of Bible College Correspondence, he will be VERY busy working a full time job to pay for college and SAVE money for the next 4 years in which he will finish college in Washington State and be living SO far from home! We are humbly asking you to consider sending Timothy a one time graduation monetary gift to help support him in his ministry calling and to get a head start in paying for his college program. Thank you for your love and friendship. We LOVE you, Timothy! May God abundantly bless your future and life as you seek to please our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ in all you do!! Lovingly, David and Jill Rodrigues (Dad and Mama)

(edited)
1 hour ago, madpsych78 said:

OK, so I'm glad that Timothy did well on the SAT and was accepted to Washington State. But the way Jill's "Homeschooling works" sentence reads, makes me want to tell her that MANY public school students have done well on the ACT, SAT, and have gotten into the schools of their choice. It just seemed so condescending. 

He's not going to Washington State, he is going to a fundie college in Washington state.  However, his homeschooling teacher, Jill, who was homeschooled herself, doesn't understand the rules of capitalization.  Just because he took the SAT in order to be admitted to this school, doesn't mean he got a score that would qualify him for admission to a regular college or university.

ETA: Moody Aviation requires applicants to provide scores from one of the usual college entrance exams; SAT, ACT or one of those geared to foreign students.  Their website makes no mention of what score is required to apply although it does mention the result is particularly important for homeschooled students.  The school also reminds students that they need to pay as they go and Jesus doesn't want them to incur debt; so I can't imagine there are all that many applicants for their program which is $410 per credit hour.  The state university that I attended is $122 per credit hour, BTW.  It also appears that it doesn't matter how many credit hours a Moody student takes per term, it's $410 flat rate per while most universities charge less per credit hour to those taking a full class load.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, ginger90 said:

Moody Aviation in Spokane, Washington offers the BEST aviation program in the country and keeps the students focused on their calling—Missionary Aviation. This training will consist of a vigorous 5 year program. The first year is Bible training, the next 2 years – airplane maintenance and the last 2 years – obtaining his pilot’s license. Timothy will leave WELL equipped in this field once he is finished!
We have prayed intently and counseled with our Pastor about this decision. It was a hard one to make because we are well aware that Moody Bible Institute errs on the side of Calvinism and is not solid on the KJV Bible. However, we were blessed to learn that they offered the option of the first year of Bible training ONLINE! We were also excited that they do not force him to use other versions than the KJV. We are encouraged that the first year of college, he will still live here with us as he does his work through correspondence. This will allow him the opportunity to discuss any areas of confusion with his Dad and Pastors at our church. We pray he comes out of this stronger in his knowledge of TRUTH in the Word of God!! Also, we were glad to learn that they encourage their students to get involved in a local church ministry. So, we look forward to flying out to Washington State the beginning of 2019 to look for a GOOD, solid, Bible-believing, fundamental Baptist Church for him to faithfully serve in upon his arrival there in the Fall of 2019.
During Timothy’s first year of Bible College Correspondence, he will be VERY busy working a full time job to pay for college and SAVE money for the next 4 years in which he will finish college in Washington State and be living SO far from home! We are humbly asking you to consider sending Timothy a one time graduation monetary gift to help support him in his ministry calling and to get a head start in paying for his college program. Thank you for your love and friendship. We LOVE you, Timothy! May God abundantly bless your future and life as you seek to please our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ in all you do!! Lovingly, David and Jill Rodrigues (Dad and Mama)

So many contradictions in the bolded!!!

They want Timothy to learn and become more knowledgeable about the Word of God. Yet they only want him to read the KJV version of the bible. How does only reading the KJV version contribute to MORE knowledge?

• Love 9
2 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Wow. Talk about "God is my copilot." 

They mean it literally. 

In any case, hurrah for Timothy for escaping to both the other coast and, ultimately, the sky. 

• Love 10