Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

Wait a minute - is Timothy going to be in that room - by himself, alone, with just himself?  And his thoughts and his bible?

Why do you think Jill put the picture of her over his bed?

Edited by Broken Ox
Words matter
  • Love 7

Jill acts like she is the only person who has ever seen a kid off to start their adult life.  Kids go to college, move to other states to pursue careers and even go into the military where they may have VERY limited opportunity to communicate with their families for long periods of time.  Jill needs to get over herself.

• Love 19

Wait- in the restaurant picture, it looks like hubby hubba bubba has a nice rich shake in front of him.  I think the two kids shared a water.  These people make me sick. This kid is going to be so much better off and hoping he gains the freshman 20.  

• Love 16
1 hour ago, BradandJanet said:

I never got the sense that Jill and David feel they owe their kids anything. They don't seem to focus much on food, education, housing and the usual stuff that parents care about. It's almost that the kids owe them. Jill certainly enjoys it when one of the kids gives up a meal or spends money to buy her a gift or throw her a party. 

I think all fundies seem to think they don't owe their kids anything, but Jill and David take it everything to a different level.  Quite a few fundies don't seem to think they owe their kids an education and most fundies don't seem to think they owe their children much of a choice in life.

The food and housing situation is extreme, but part of that seems to be that the R's are less well off than the most of the fundies we see on television. 

• Love 7
On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 8:15 AM, ginger90 said:

imothy is gone and NEW baby!! August 2018

Just because, well, for fun, and due to the horror that I was (unexpectedly) in WA at the same time as this freaky family (unplanned family visit due to sick dad, who is gonna be okay), I took all the UPPERCASE words in her "writings." Let's see if there's a hidden message, shall we, folks?

NEW TRULY ALL LOTS NEW BABY HOW FAR NOT SUPER PEACE RIGOROUS DRIVEN NEVER TRULY NO HONESTLY SO DEEP OWN WHOLE GREAT JOY JUST BOTH LOL SO MISSIONARY PILOT SO KNOW NEVER THRILLED LOL BIGGEST VERY BEYOND VERY STAY YOUR COURSE NEW BABY BEYOND SUPER LOVE BLESSED AND YES MANY

I kind of want to send this to the Dr Bronner's soap company, so they can add it to their bizarre "ALL-ONE-GOD-FAITH" jumbled side-of-the-bottle gobbledy gook. It fits right in. And Jill would be so THRILLED to know her writing made it onto a big-name product (until she finds out they're all environmentally responsible and into other librul values like fair trade and organics and wage equality and drug policy reform; then she would be horrified!).

• Love 16
5 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

Off topic but I have to share.

my acquaintce got engaged to a guy that is much more unattractive than David R. 

And she accused me of being jealous of her. Um honey bunny no I am not.

He's unfortunate looking, but I'm uncomfortable snarking about it. And truly, there are some amazing people out there who don't look too great. (I am NOT talking about David R here!) I'd be jealous of your acquaintance under the right circumstances - if he's intelligent, kind, and has a sense of humor.

Edited by becca3891
  • Love 9
58 minutes ago, becca3891 said:

He's unfortunate looking, but I'm uncomfortable snarking about it. And truly, there are some amazing people out there who don't look too great. (I am NOT talking about David R here!) I'd be jealous of your acquaintance under the right circumstances - if he's intelligent, kind, and has a sense of humor.

This is her 3 rd fiancé in 3 years.  Hope this one marries her...

she wants to get married because her parents don’t want to support her and she refuses to work , ( she’s in her late 20’s).

so yeah...

and he has none of the qualities you want in a mate.

• Love 9

Chelsy Maxwell announced she is pregnant. She is due in January. It's in keeping with the Maxwell tradition of having a baby after the first anniversary as opposed to nine months after the wedding.  She is planning on a homebirth, which is normal for the Maxwells except for Melanie, who is high-risk. Her sister-in-laws had their babies in a hospital. 

• Love 3
20 minutes ago, Heathen said:

Objectively, David Rodrigues isn't THAT unattractive, aside from the jug ears, which is a personal dislike. I've seen uglier guys. I think the general dislike of David Rodrigues and Stormy J comes from the way they treat their children. It's hard to rationalize David being fat and Stormy J having bleached hair and always wearing a ton of makeup and jewelry when their children are skeletal and the girls' clothes look like musty thrift store castoffs from the 1940s. As I've said before, I think Stormy J's mission in life is to make herself look better by making her daughters look ugly. 

Stormy manages to make MEchelle look like a halfway decent mother.

• Love 13

For those of you who are feeling particularly maso, Jacob Wilson (son of Clark, who appeared on some of the older episodes helping the Duggars build their TTH) is active over on Pickle's page currently, making clear his views on homosexuality, among other things.

17 minutes ago, Temperance said:

Jacob also appeared in several Duggar show episodes and he is one the many non-loves of Jana Duggar. 

This was his lovely answer to that:

"So yeah I just wanna say that this is total bunk. WE ARE NOT IN A RELATIONSHIP. Lol we've been friends for 21 years and all of a sudden! Bam! we just happen to be in the same picture so of course the media has to make up a story about it to sell. So I'm here to clear the water... it ain't true! :) ~ ~ ~moral of the story? Don't believe what you see online. #janaduggarcourting"

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

This was his lovely answer to that:

"So yeah I just wanna say that this is total bunk. WE ARE NOT IN A RELATIONSHIP. Lol we've been friends for 21 years and all of a sudden! Bam! we just happen to be in the same picture so of course the media has to make up a story about it to sell. So I'm here to clear the water... it ain't true! :) ~ ~ ~moral of the story? Don't believe what you see online. #janaduggarcourting"

What a dick. Did he really have to do that stupid hashtag? All he had to say was a simple "I am currently single and not involved in a courtship." The other men who publicly denied dating Jana weren't exactly classy about it either.

• Love 18
5 hours ago, Heathen said:

Objectively, David Rodrigues isn't THAT unattractive, aside from the jug ears, which is a personal dislike. I've seen uglier guys. I think the general dislike of David Rodrigues and Stormy J comes from the way they treat their children. It's hard to rationalize David being fat and Stormy J having bleached hair and always wearing a ton of makeup and jewelry when their children are skeletal and the girls' clothes look like musty thrift store castoffs from the 1940s. As I've said before, I think Stormy J's mission in life is to make herself look better by making her daughters look ugly. 

Objectively, I think he is. He’s fat, bad teeth, jug ears, sunken eyes and derpy looking. 

On 20/08/2018 at 4:15 AM, toodles said:

I would love to see someone LITERALLY ripping a piece of their heart out.  A person would have to pull it out, rip a hunk out and stick it back in the chest.  It must flap like an old shoe.  Ole' Jill Rod looks pretty healthy for someone with a flappy heart.

Kalimaaaa

Edited by kokapetl
  • Love 9
17 hours ago, Heathen said:

Yeah, the ears sort of do it for me (or, rather, DON'T do it for me!) as well...even though I'm known to hardly ever look at anything beyond the central features of any given face. But it's so true that familiarity and/or affection can make a patently odd-looking face lovable. Makes me think of all the lectures/debates, etc by Lawrence Krauss which I've watched over the years...The first time I saw him, I thought his face completely unfortunate-looking, but at this point it rather brings a smile to my face.

edited to add that the reverse is true, and an otherwise more or less average face can become distinctly repellent in someone with a detestable personality. Just in case anyone thought I was putting D Rod in the first category!

Edited by Jynnan tonnix
  • Love 7
On 8/11/2018 at 3:32 PM, Zahdii said:

Actually, I think Jill would love to fight for Snuggles.  There was a reason I mentioned The Peoples Court, because Jill would be right there wanting her case to be heard on TV.

I actually had a long, drawn out post started and decided it was best kept to myself.  But just think on it.  Jill would love the chance to plead her case in front of a national audience.  She'd gussy herself up, drag David and all the kids along with her, and have the time of her life.  It would be "My husband and I are missionaries...13 kids, count 'em! (and they sing, too.  Can we sing for you?) ...SEVERE miscarriages...better-off-dead Amy...print ministry (I'll leave you with some of our tracts.)...We know the Duggars, and the Bates, too...internet stalkers and haters...The dog?  Oh, right, we had a dog and it got away and this lady won't give it back...Can I talk to you about Plexus?  No?  How about the Lord?  No?  Well, do you know anyone at TLC?  Fine, we want our dog back, my 13 kids really love the dog, especially Janessa.  Did you know she has some kind of thing where her brain didn't develop properly, thank God Plexus minimized that problem, she's a miracle baby, really.  I'll leave you some information on Plexus, you should join my downline...The dog?  Right.  Well, we want the dog back, but I'm willing to settle for $5000."

This is exactly how it would go...but also with a side of "you all (who won't give the dog back) hate Jesus!!!!"

I lost my best friend, my 12 year old chihuahua Mia last month. I think I'll grieve for her for the rest of my life. I'm a little dog person (we have chihuahuas and my parents had dachshunds when I was a kid).  It makes me so mad that these idiots left their precious little dog TWICE.  TWICE!!!!  We had my Mia cremated instead of burying her in the yard because I couldn't stand the idea of ever leaving her remains if we moved away.  I loved that dog so much.  She was my little canine soul mate.  And here are the Rods, just leaving that poor little dog behind...TWICE.

Also, my friend's grandparents travel around the country in their RV for most of the year. They had two huskies, one of which may have been the devil incarnate (regularly killed squirrels and kittens on the family's land at home).  Another camper had a dachshund that they just "let out" sans leash to pee, like the Rods did to Snuggles.  My friend's grandfather was walking the huskies.  The dachshund walked by the huskies (who were leashed) and before the grandfather could react, the devil husky had the dachshund in its mouth.  Devil husky nearly killed the dachshund but the grandfather was able to get it out of the husky's mouth right away.  They did end up paying a thousands of dollars in emergency vet bills for the unleashed dachshund, though, since their dog attacked it.  Had the grandfather not been able to free the little dog as quickly, the poor thing could have died.  The Rods are lucky that this nice lady found their Snuggles way before another large dog, coyote, or another predator (or car) did.  These people are awful.  Honestly, I'm shocked Snuggles was even micro-chipped. 

On 8/18/2018 at 7:31 PM, NotFundie said:

And they let that poor dog out and left her because they didn't want her anymore.  They just hoped someone would take her in and keep her.  Jill -- do the dog a favor and turn her in to a no-kill shelter.  Lots of people would love to have a nice little dog.  And they certainly wouldn't leave her beside the road and drive away.

I absolutely believe this is true.  It sounds like letting the dog potty is David's responsibility and he was over it long ago.  Seems like he's tried to "lose" Snuggles more than once. Or maybe he just wants someone to be able to be free of the oppression of the stink bus, so he keeps trying to free Snuggles in a "at least someone should get out of here" kind of way. In either case, these people should NOT own animals.  These people sold their cat at a garage sale and have lost+abandoned their small dog TWICE! They are trash.  

Edited by MyPeopleAreNordic
  • Love 12

Crazy cat lady here.  My beloved kitty was almost 19 years old when we had to say goodbye.  I wanted my face to be the last thing he saw before he crossed the bridge, so I was there.  We also chose cremation, and I have a memory box with pictures, his paw prints in clay (which the vet did) and his ashes.

Pets give us so much love.  People that don't treasure their fur babies are horrible.  

• Love 22
1 hour ago, MyPeopleAreNordic said:

Honestly, I'm shocked Snuggles was even micro-chipped. 

Does anyone know how the Rods came to own Snuggles?  If s/he was a gift, perhaps the giver micro-chipped him/her.  Or maybe Jill had it done when they adopted the dog and either had to have the dog chipped as part of the adoption process or didn't want to admit that paying for it would be a hardship, so she figured a few less chicken legs for the kids...

Anyway, finding someone to read the chip is free and easy, so if they're hoping to lose the dog they're either going to have to keep 'forgetting' it or hope that someone finds the dog and doesn't take it in to see if it's chipped.

Another thing, once a dog is chipped it's listed as yours until another owner gets your permission to change the registration, and that costs money for the new owner.  And shelters don't pay to have pets registered to them, they put that on then new owner.   The only way the Rods have of getting their name off that chip is to find another owner and sign the dog over, or to report the dog as dead.

• Love 4

I read that Chelsey Maxwell announced she's pregnant on instagram.  I've been reading about the Maxwells lately and their insanity.  I don't know much about the Bontragers, but I had hoped they were better people compared to the Maxwell robots.  On Chelsey's blog she tells a story about visiting her sister and getting locked out of the car.  Her godly brother in law thought it was just those stupid wimmen folk that didn't know how to use a key.  They asked an apparently acceptably godly looking passerby for help to no avail.  Then they called a service.  Some young guy showed up and opened their car for them.  What does this stupid bitch say about that??  She calls this young, hardworking guy a bum!!!  Apparently he wasn't wearing the requisite khakis and tucked in polo shirt with a 1950's buzz cut and handing out tracts.  What a judgmental jackass!!  Would she have called her long haired, robe wearing, hanging with prostitutes Jesus a bum, too!!!  This really pisses me off.

• Love 23

The Rodriguii were totally swimming in street clothes. For the heck of it I looked up the price of WholesomeWear, and even the girls sizes run around $85 apiece. No way in hell do the Rods have that kind of money. 

• Love 14
7 minutes ago, NotFundie said:

Tim might be "gone" but the Jill drama continues.  Apparently, she posted a novel about how she thought they were mistreated at a KOA campground.  The kids had been swimming in street clothes and the manager told them they needed to wear swimsuits in the pool.  When they went back to swim the second day, they were asked to get out of the pool.  Jill explained that they were wearing modest swimwear (translation:  street clothes) and she hesitated on leaving the area (waiting on Nurie to get back with Sadie from the bathroom) so the manager had to force her to leave.  (Is Nurie unable to find her way from the bathroom back to the stink bus?)  But she insists that she remained pleasant and respectful.  I call BS on that.  They ended up checking out early and not getting some of their "hard-earned" money back.  I agree with the people at FreeJinger.  I think the management was fed up with them probably not paying for the extra kids and for letting them run around unsupervised.  And you just know that Snuggles wasn't on a leash.  (Run, Snuggles!  Run!)

There's also a long whine about how the kids went to the camp store/game room and were asked to leave.  I suppose that they had rules about children being accompanied by parents.  Jill feels that they're being persecuted because they're Christians and that nowadays people don't like children very much.  They treat pets better.  (That was a swipe at the animal lovers who attacked her over abandoning Snuggles.)  She reminds us that she "strives not to be condescending".  (Sorry.... I'm just going to be over here laughing my ass off.)

FundieWonderland has the whole mess up on their site.  It's worth a read.

I feel pretty sure the issue is that street clothes are deemed germy, hence the posted information at many pools saying you have to take a quick shower off before climbing into the water in your swimsuit.  I’d have done the same thing.  I also can’t imagine my fundie cousins swimming in any contained body of water.  I know they have worn their veritable-Mennonite costumes to the beach.

Also, I’d call David Rod subject to strabismus, if anything.  He looks like he’s looking at the bridge of his nose.  Of course, sometimes I’ve said the same thing about people widely deemed attractive, including Meghan Markle.

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, cdp73 said:

Swimming in street clothes can also increase the possibility of drowning.  All that heavy wet fabric can tire you out and wear you down faster than you may realize.

Preach. That's always bugged me about these show-off "we're so modest!" nutjobs who think it's great to swim in street clothes. Ages ago, I took a swimming course at the Y (as an adult; I'd learned to swim as a kid in a haphazard way and knew there were things I'd like to know how to do). One lesson was how to survive if you're dunked into a body of water (off a boat, or whatever), and part of that involved jumping into the pool wearing jeans or trousers, and while treading water, taking them off and tying the legs off to serve as ad hoc flotation devices. After that experience, I just have to shake my head at those idiots like the Duggars and Rodrguii who go swimming in jeans and shirts. 

• Love 24

I just have to wonder how well can those kids "swim" if they've never worn proper swimwear?  Wearing those heavy clothes in water and being a weak swimmer is just a recipe for disaster.  I really cringed at their photos from the beach.  Undertow gets people who are excellent swimmers.  Those kids in those ridiculous clothes wouldn't stand a chance.

• Love 16

It's not just that they're wearing street clothes, the girls are wearing long dresses that tangle and twist. I'm all for modest swimwear, especially for children, but let's at least make it swimwear.

My local pool lets people wear whatever they want, although infants and non-toilet trained toddlers have to wear swim diapers and something covering them. The majority of the older mothers and grandmothers wear shorts and tank tops. I've seen more than one kid swimming in jeans.

• Love 2

I’ve also heard something about an issue with the dye instreet clothes but I don't know if it’s true or not.  In any case, it’s obviously not safe. Or hygienic. I mean did you put on fresh “street clothes” to swim in, or did you sleep in those underwar last night?  

As for Nurie and a buddy going to the bathroom, I don’t blame the Rodriguii on this one.  They’re in a place with constant movement by strangers.  Nurie is small, female, and green as an under ripe banana. I wouldn’t want my daughter wandering through a camp ground unattended either if she had no street creds.  I’m not paranoid,  but there are shady people who take advantage of people at truck stops, rest areas and campgrounds all the time. Considering hiw long they took to realize they left the dog behind, they better be concerned.  Human trafficking and all.  

The arcade is another story. God only knows what those kids were in there doing. Were they blocking machines? My guess is their grifting instincts kicked in and they hassled other kids for tokens.  

• Love 7
2 hours ago, NotFundie said:

They ended up checking out early and not getting some of their "hard-earned" money back. 

Did Jill legitimately say/type "hard-earned" money? She has even less self-awareness than I suspected. 

2 hours ago, queenanne said:

Also, I’d call David Rod subject to strabismus, if anything.  He looks like he’s looking at the bridge of his nose.  Of course, sometimes I’ve said the same thing about people widely deemed attractive, including Meghan Markle.

Thank you for teaching me this new word! I had to Google it. (And I agree about David.)

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Ijustwantsomechips said:

I’ve also heard something about an issue with the dye instreet clothes but I don't know if it’s true or not.  In any case, it’s obviously not safe. Or hygienic. I mean did you put on fresh “street clothes” to swim in, or did you sleep in those underwar last night?  

As for Nurie and a buddy going to the bathroom, I don’t blame the Rodriguii on this one.  They’re in a place with constant movement by strangers.  Nurie is small, female, and green as an under ripe banana. I wouldn’t want my daughter wandering through a camp ground unattended either if she had no street creds.  I’m not paranoid,  but there are shady people who take advantage of people at truck stops, rest areas and campgrounds all the time. Considering hiw long they took to realize they left the dog behind, they better be concerned.  Human trafficking and all.  

The arcade is another story. God only knows what those kids were in there doing. Were they blocking machines? My guess is their grifting instincts kicked in and they hassled other kids for tokens.  

My bet is that they were handing out tracts and otherwise harassing whoever was in the arcade. 

• Love 19

I live in a very conservative area surrounded by Amish. Our local, public pool is where they like to go swimming....they wear “modest swimwear” tank top bathing suits with skirts, or a regular one piece with mesh shorts for girls/ women, boys either wear regular swimwear or swim suit bottom with a swim shirt. It’s ridiculous to be in a public pool wearing street clothes. 

• Love 18
7 hours ago, cdp73 said:

Swimming in street clothes can also increase the possibility of drowning.  All that heavy wet fabric can tire you out and wear you down faster than you may realize.

There's too much common sense in your post for Stormy to grasp. She is a victim damn it! Playing victim gets her attention, good or bad, she gets the attention she craves. 

Edited by Fuzzysox
  • Love 13
1 hour ago, doodlebug said:

The fact that they were told to leave the area indicates to me that it was a whole lot more than just their non-swimwear. 

I'm betting part of the problem was that there were so many of them and they're taught not to socialize with non-believers, so I imagine they weren't too popular in the pool to start with. Enforcing the clothing rule gave management a legitimate reason to make them leave.

• Love 7
11 hours ago, MyPeopleAreNordic said:

I lost my best friend, my 12 year old chihuahua Mia last month. I think I'll grieve for her for the rest of my life. I'm a little dog person (we have chihuahuas and my parents had dachshunds when I was a kid).  It makes me so mad that these idiots left their precious little dog TWICE.  TWICE!!!!  We had my Mia cremated instead of burying her in the yard because I couldn't stand the idea of ever leaving her remains if we moved away.  I loved that dog so much.  She was my little canine soul mate. 

MyPeopleAreNordic, I'm responding to you about this in Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

• Love 1

Oh, Stormy Jill, I camped at a couple of KOA's this summer and they are super kid-friendly, although off-key singing and make-up spackling were not on the agenda, as far as I could tell. It's really hard to swim safely in street clothes, especially full length denim. Once, when I was in grade school, we did a boating class and before we were allowed to participate we had to swim two laps of a pool in street clothes (in case our boat capsized). It was way more tiring than I thought it would be because the clothes were really heavy and got in the way when they ballooned. Denim, I want to add, wasn't allowed even in the swim test because the weight of it made it too dangerous.

• Love 14