Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Hector

Tara Ariano

Simmering tension and buried secrets among a group of family and friends surface in the premiere of this drama when a man slaps another couple's child at a backyard party. Also: Hector (Peter Sarsgaard) deals with his attraction to his teen babysitter.

Oh my God. This is a mini-series? Really?

Yes, Gary and Rosie have every right to raise their own son with whatever strictures (or lack thereof) they choose.

True, until it starts to affect other people and/or their property.

But like...this is the kid at the show's premiere party.

That picture alone justifies all the other kids forming a line and each one getting a turn to slap him.

• Love 11
Seeing him mess around with Hector's albums (do I even need to add the detail that they're on VINYL) brings up mixed feelings: by all means, scratch up that Mingus by taking it out of the sleeve and throwing it into the hallway,

Judge Hector for his pathetic, middle-aged, hipster sensibilities, judge him (and the show) for making anything of the fact that he got beat for a promotion by a WOMAN. Judge him for lusting after a teen.

But fuck with a man's music, and all bets are off. I don't care if the music in question being screwed around with was an 8 track of the best of Supertramp, You simply do not do it.

But like...this is the kid at the show's premiere party.

In fairness, it is very hard not to look like a douchebag when behind the turntables.

• Love 4

HA @AndySmith, I just pictured that scene from Airplane, everyone lined up to smack the hysterical lady.

I am relieved that it's just a miniseries. All the promos I saw for it kept saying "the new series" & I couldn't figure out how in the world they'd get more than half a season out of this conceit. Season 2: The Slap Goes to Prison. Season 3: CPS

• Love 2

I didn't like the original serie but still stuck with it the entire run, pls don't ask me why, I can't explain it myself :/

This has such good names in the cast though I really hoped they'd do something good out of it but I'm too afraid to get involved again, never fun to see good actors in a bad show.

• Love 1

The moral of all this is never, never, never have family get-togethers - they're all powder kegs.

(Though to be fair, Zachary Quinto should have punted that kid's Lady Lovelylocks head right off his damn shoulders.  What?  I'm dark.)

• Love 16

This show is filling the Parenthood hole in more ways than one, because the kid reminds me so much of Max, and the Slap gif is what I spent six seasons PRAYING any other Braverman would do to him. (Though I think it would have been especially sweet coming from Camille). Anyone with more computer skills than me want to make put Camille and Max in that picture?

• Love 4

When I first saw the commercial for this, I swear I thought it was an SNL sketch. But this review has me half-way to setting a season pass.

Oh you weren't the only one that thought this.  I just finished watching the first episode(don't judge) and it was as bad as the name.  "The Slap", more like "The Slapstick"  Purely awful but always worth coming here for delicious snark.

• Love 2

I think the show did a poor job of telling us how all these people fit into the core family, and I might not be the only one. Tara's story says that Harry is Hector's brother, which I thought as well until Harry said that Hector was like a brother to him. And I thinkhe called Hector's mom "aunt". But. Who is Uma Thurman? How are the parents of Hugo related to this family? Were there any brothers/sisters among the adults and, if so, who?

Love Victor Garber. HATE the narrator.

• Love 11

I think the show did a poor job of telling us how all these people fit into the core family, and I might not be the only one. Tara's story says that Harry is Hector's brother, which I thought as well until Harry said that Hector was like a brother to him. And I thinkhe called Hector's mom "aunt". But. Who is Uma Thurman? How are the parents of Hugo related to this family? Were there any brothers/sisters among the adults and, if so, who?

I wondered this as well, but I came into the show 10-15 minutes in so I figured that I missed the intros.  I'm assuming they'll state who's related to who over the course of the series.

Interesting series.  I might give it a shot.  "The Slap" is such a stupid, baity title, though.  Something like "The Birthday Party" would have worked just as well.

I watched this because I was curious. As was mentioned, the big name actors in it drew me in. Hated the narrator (love Victor Garber, just hate narration most of the time unless done really well like Pushing Daisies or Jane The Virgin). I didn't find it even necessary in this show.

That kid, Hugo, was a nightmare. I don't agree with that parenting style and I loathe them already. Those parents should be ashamed and I won't even get started on breast feeding at that age, BUT no one should ever slap a kid like that. Ever. I know there are different opinions on spanking, etc, but that wasn't a spanking. If anyone ever did that to my kids damn straight I'd involve the police too. I was slapped like that once by a friend of my grandmother's. This was back in the late '70's, so she was from another era and kids were supposed to be seen and not heard, but I've literally never forgot it. It does have a lasting effect.

I'm still going to stick with this since it's only 7 episodes and I like many of the cast members.

• Love 3

I also watched this because I was curious, I bought into the advertising hype, and there are some very good actors in this show. I love Zachary Quinto.

However, I don't think I'm going to watch the rest of it. That kid was a brat, most likely has ADD, ADHD, or the parenting is off (breast feeding at that age?). But no one should ever slap a kid whether he's theirs or someone else's. That was wrong.

The rest of it, the guy in mid life crisis, attracted to a teenager, problems between the wife and the in-laws, and career problems. Just sounds depressing to continue watching.

• Love 2

Interesting series.  I might give it a shot. 

A slap shot?  Hi ooh!  *cymbal crash*

After watching this first ep, I was flipping channels and watched some food show where they showed how they made Doritos and it was about a million times more interesting than The Slap.  Plus....mmm...Doritos.

I had high hopes for this one too, and I even watched the first ep of the Australian version on Netflix before watching tonight just so I could compare, and to me, that first Aussie ep was pretty boring, slow and meh. I knew I was in trouble when I heard the voice over,which generally speaking, I never like to hear. So when I heard the voice over on this one(I believe the exact dialogue) I went, oh crap no.

With the exception the last 10 minutes minutes(man, I couldn't wait for that slap scene and the fallout) this was pretty much a drag. And that party was a downer from the get go.  Was anyone laughing or looking like they were having a good time?( when the got their surprise Greece tickets,yes)

I am relieved that it's just a miniseries. All the promos I saw for it kept saying "the new series" & I couldn't figure out how in the world they'd get more than half a season out of this conceit. Season 2: The Slap Goes to Prison. Season 3: CPS

or....  The Slap: SVU

The minute I saw the promos for this, I wanted to slap that kid myself.

Me too! Right there, one reason I don't want/have kids! If by chance one turned out like Hugo,I... I don't know what I'd do. Curl into a fetal position and rock back and forth maybe.   And hell, even great parents can have a rotten kid. (no disrespect  all you children loving parents out there)

Oh my God. This is a mini-series? Really?

Ha! So true.

I had a lot of trouble buying Peter Sarsgaard as Greek

.  Same here. And I still haven't gotten  out of my head the role he played in Boys Don't Cry. What a creepy, disgusting piece of shit he was,and played it so well. I think of it every time I see him on screen.

I don't know if I'll be watching the rest either. Maybe one more ep.  Or else I'll just read the recaps and use the 8pm slot to go back to watching The Vampire Diaries live....which is saying a lot since I am ready to cut TVD loose.

Edited by Valny
  • Love 3

Seems the way so many shows are going these days....no one to root for or like.

One reason I gave up after watching the first season of Girls.   And yes, I couldn't find anyone to like on this series either.

If anyone listens to the podcast Firewall and Iceberg, they talk about the show on their latest episode.  They don't like it either which is no surprise.

Edited by Valny

I'm still going to stick with this since it's only 7 episodes and I like many of the cast members.

Pretty much sums it up for me. I was curious, drawn in a bit, but I think they did a horrible job of explaining who everybody was. I know that Quinto is the cousin, but have no idea how the hippies with in. I'm guessing Thurman is the sister? Not a great start, but it's short.

I definitely agree that these are some horrible people and there's no one to root for.  But I felt bad for Aisha.  She's dealing with her asshole in-laws alone, and now her husband has a wandering eye toward the babysitter.  What a cliche.

I was also getting shades of Max Braverman from Hugo.  Just waiting for his parents to gently pull him aside and say "Hey, buddy?  You know...swinging a baseball bat at people really isn't cool.  Let's try not to do that anymore, ok?  But if it does happen, don't worry about it.  We know you're special."

While I think Harry was way out of line in slapping Hugo, something needed to be done, because one of those kids was about to get slugged with that bat.  His father was ignoring him entirely and his mother was always breastfeeding him, because that would solve the problem somehow?  Ugh.  Him ripping up the plants should have been it, and they should have just gone home.

• Love 9

The only reason I watched this is because I became obsessed with it the instant I saw the commercial and realized it wasn't a joke.  Everything is ridiculous and I love it.

I think The Slap itself was a bit much, but I totally agreed with the grandmother that someone should have done something.  And did no one there see that he kicked Harry?

Edited by janie jones
  • Love 4

Maybe the problem with this is the forced transition from Australian class skewering story to Brooklyn hipster angst. The novel and the Australian version focused on the attitudes of Hector's immigrant family, the 'mixed' marriage of Hector and Aisha who is upper class Indian (which may be why he lusts after white trashy Connie in the novel), the macho sensibility of Australian men insofar as many of the men feel the need to wield power in this situation, and Gary's alcoholism as a class issue. Rosie has a crappy husband and overmothers Hugo so she can feel like she has a purpose in her life which is otherwise a dead end, and she grabs onto what happened at the picnic as a new vendetta to give her life some meaning. There is even an aboriginal friend who converts to Islam and further complicates the plot in the novel. Transferring this to American - and dumping it in hipster Brooklyn - and blurring the class issues seem to be the problem with this version. I liked the novel because the plot was that something so unexpected can make people react in such dramatic ways. So I'll stick with it a little longer, if only to wonder at Uma's new face!

• Love 8

Wow this was very watered down from the original and I don't mean the lack of swearing and nudity. Maybe the lack of Essie Davis as Anouk is skewing my view of things but I don't feel like Uma Thurman will be able match Essie in terms of a nuanced performance.

Hate Hector for being a cliche, and not standing up to his rude and disrespectful parents.

Hate Hector's rude and disrespectful parents.

Hate Connie because the actress can't act.

Hate Rosie for breastfeeding her 12 year old son. (An exaggeration, but not by much.)

Hate Gary for being a weakling facilitator of the disturbing breast feeding.

Hate Hugo for not only being a pouty brat but for looking like a pouty brat.

Love Harry for being a straight dealer.

Verdict -- hate this show.

• Love 5

Wow, how depressing and infuriating at the same time.  Bad parenting and bad marriages...fun times for all! No one to root for here so I believe I'll move along and enjoy the camp of Scandal et al.  Are there actually people like this in real life?  If so, here's some advice:

1.  If you're unhappy in your marriage, tell your wife and move along.

2.  If you're breastfeeding your child when he's speaking in complete sentences, move along.

3.  If you're husband can't shutdown his parents and he allows them to treat you with no respect, move along.

4.  If you're acting like a steroid-induced asshole, move along

5.  If you can't discipline a child, please don't inflict them on other people.

6.  If a brat pulls up your plants and you don't have the balls to stop them, you deserve no plants (see #1 and #3...I'm talking to you, Hector).

7.  Uma Thurman, you go get yourself that young piece and enjoy!  Just don't go back to whoever's house this is for any future parties  (Is it your cousin? brother? ex-lover? We don't know because no one  explained any of the relationships other than Slap Spock being a cousin).

Too bad...could've been an interesting and thought-provoking subject.

• Love 19

I had such strong and complicated feelings about the book that I had to watch the Australian series, and when I found out that Melissa George was playing the same character in the US remake, I was sold. It really takes the concept of unlikable characters to another level, I'll give it that.

Maybe the problem with this is the forced transition from Australian class skewering story to Brooklyn hipster angst. The novel and the Australian version focused on the attitudes of Hector's immigrant family, the 'mixed' marriage of Hector and Aisha who is upper class Indian (which may be why he lusts after white trashy Connie in the novel), the macho sensibility of Australian men insofar as many of the men feel the need to wield power in this situation, and Gary's alcoholism as a class issue. Rosie has a crappy husband and overmothers Hugo so she can feel like she has a purpose in her life which is otherwise a dead end, and she grabs onto what happened at the picnic as a new vendetta to give her life some meaning. There is even an aboriginal friend who converts to Islam and further complicates the plot in the novel. Transferring this to American - and dumping it in hipster Brooklyn - and blurring the class issues seem to be the problem with this version. I liked the novel because the plot was that something so unexpected can make people react in such dramatic ways. So I'll stick with it a little longer, if only to wonder at Uma's new face!

Thanks for this explanation. I was very curious how this version differed from the novel and Australian adaptation. From what you're saying, I agree it was a mistake to make the characters hipstery Brooklynites. It might interesting to hear why the writers (?) went this route. I bet they wanted to complain about the hispter Brooklyn parents who let their kids run wild in coffee shops, but didn't think about how the other dynamics of the book would translate. Especially the dynamics between Hector and Aisha. From your explanation, his lusting seems a little more understandable.

I hated the narration. (Didn't realize that was Victor Garber.) It was distracting and the tone was off. Distancing, maybe? I was automatically disconnected from the narrative, and Hector, hearing that voice.

I agree the writers did a very poor job explaining how these people were connected and why they were together as a group. I spent too much time trying to work out the dynamics. For example, the first time Hector looks at Rosie breastfeeding Hugo in the house, I thought he was lusting after her. I thought Rosie was his sister at first, and then he was watching her breastfeed and I considered she was a sister-in-law he wanted to have an affair with. And It didn't immediately dawn on me that the scene was significant because she was breastfeeding a (practically) young adult and he was watching her with judgment. 

Another huge problem for me was not one person was likable (maybe Anouka, but only because she was making faces at all the stupid things everyone else was doing, or Aisha, because she is just so alone) and not one person was worth rooting for.

I always think it's a mistake to introduce a character with a big ugly flaw like fantasizing about a teenager. No mater what came afterward, I hated Hector. I'm also sorry to write that Peter Sarsgaard was a poor choice here. He already has a sad look about him which makes playing a character who is unhappy in his marriage extra depressing.

Hugo was awful. Since I don't believe in hitting someone else's child, i think it's best to stay away from people like Rosie, Gary and Hugo. In my real life, I never have a problem turning down invites to parties (for family, in-laws and friends) if I know someone I don't like will be there. Rosie and Gary can raise their son as they see fit, but I don't have to be around them while they do it. Since I know most people won't go to that extreme, everyone at the party should have told Gary and Rosie to take the bat from Hugo. And if they still wouldn't discipline him, it was Hector and Aisha's place to tell them they'd have to control their son or leave.

The problem here is that Aisha clearly dislikes Harry, so she wouldn't have taken his side even if she'd agreed with his decision.

So, my overall feeling is that I didn't like The Slap. It made me feel disagreeable and unhappy. We moved from Park Slope many years ago and were beginning to despise the parents moving into the area when we left. It's been nice not being around people like that. At the same time, I'm kind of fascinated. My husband is done, but I think I'll tune in for another episode to see if it gets better.

• Love 1

Things I didn't like:

The narration. It was obtrusive and unnecessary.

Characters named Harry and Gary. Needlessly confusing.

Hector's thing with the babysitter. It's disgusting and makes me dislike him.

Speaking Greek in front of people who don't. It's rude.

Hugo's parents; for not weaning or disciplining their child, for allowing him to destroy property, for allowing him to endanger other children, for not taking him home if they can't control him.

Harry for slapping a child with enough force to dislocate his jaw and give him whiplash. I've been kicked by a wild little neighbor boy who had just unpacked all my good china while playing in my basement and it never occurred to me to hit him. You just take children like that by the arm and return them to their parents. Tell them their child is out of control and ruining the party if you feel like it. Tell them they need family therapy and parenting classes. Tell them Hugo is going to have a miserable friendless life and it will be their fault, but don't ever slap a child in the face. Harry just looked like a monster, the size difference is too much, it wasn't even his kid and it makes you wonder what other, smaller, weaker, things he abuses.

• Love 6

I usually give the first episode of any series like this somewhat of a pass, though, because I get they're trying to lay the groundwork. But the relationships between the family members confused me too.

Overall, I thought it was interesting.  I don't know that I would have slapped Hugo, but someone needed to do something - the records, the rose bushes, and he scared me swinging that bat around.  Nothing annoys me more than a passive parent, who when the kid is swinging a bat around, says "oh, stop" like Hugo's father did from the deck he was sitting on. Zachary Quinto's character had to take the bat because Daddy was doing nothing. 

I think though that we'll find out that Hugo has some deep seated emotional issues that his parents are aware of, hence the mother's constant coddling of him.

I'll keep watching.   But I could do without the babysitter/Hector story line.

• Love 2
the macho sensibility of Australian men insofar as many of the men feel the need to wield power in this situation,

I saw the Australian version so was only half-watching this but this is where I feel like the American translation sort of fails. That whole macho thing was big factor in the Australian version and dropping it favor of American upper middle class angst may not work.

2.  If you're breastfeeding your child when he's speaking in complete sentences, move along.

Heh. No show is ever going to top Game of Thrones on that score anymore.

I guess the producers of this version are assuming most people haven't seen the original. (Probably counting on it.)

Nothing else was on, so I watched this. I've always had a girl crush on Thandie Newton so I sympathized with her a lot here. Her husband needs to grow the hell up and stop lusting after girls his kids' age. Speaking of his kids, were they in the house while he and Aisha were screwing on the kitchen table? That's all I could think of during that scene.

Overall, there was nothing fun about this show. Nothing that produced a smile at all. It was all depressing. I watch the Walking Dead religiously and even in that show, surrounded by death and zombies there is something to smile about each episode. Some glimmer of hope. Not here. 

I have no clue who is who and who is related to who. The breastfeeding mom squicked me out majorly. For one, if I still breastfed my pre pubescent kid I'll be damned if I'm ever going to show my face in public with my child. Nope. I'm just going to stay at home all the time and breastfeed my kid so people wont judge me. I'm not even going to get into how nasty and ridiculous the whole thing is. Whatever. If that's what you do. Fine. Do it at home. Also, if I know my kid can't behave again, I'm not taking him anywhere. His ass stays home. Just the whole lack of self awareness bugs me to the point of not being able to watch this show. I see it every day. I live in hippie dippie city, USA and witness crap like this on a daily basis. Special snowflakes, don't yell at my kid, my kid is perfect, I'll breastfeed as long as I want, only organic, only gluten free, blah, blah, blah. I don't think I can stand to watch the entitlement on my tv screen as well as my real life. I can't hate on Hugo though because none of his behavior is his choice. It's all his parents stupid fault and someone needed to slap him. Should have been his parents but obviously they don't give a shit about his well being and livelihood. Gah! I have a 5 year old and a 2 year old and would be upset if someone slapped them like Hugo was but I also raise my kids in such a way that no adult would ever have reason to hit them. 

• Love 6

Him ripping up the plants should have been it, and they should have just gone home.

Ding ding ding! This is the thing some parents don't get, often because they are too concerned with their own good time. Yes, it sucks having to leave a party. But if you're about attachment parenting, as I'd imagine they are, based on the extended nursing, you actually have to be engaged with your kid. It's not about letting them do what they want without consequences.

Not a likeable one in the bunch. Maybe Uma Thurman, although she'll probably let me down too. The grandfather made sense for the most part but it's hard for me to get past him telling Hector to control his wife.

So why did I keep watching and why do I plan to watch again? Because, to my horror, this show gives me the opportunity to feel superior. I may not have much going on in my life, but I'm not these hateable people!

• Love 9

Ick - made it 20 minutes and just couldn't bear subjecting my precious brain cells to this pure crap.

When I first saw the title a few weeks, I thought for sure it was some new crazy reality show and since I never watch them, I figured, anything is possible.  

Terrible title, terrible story, terrible show.  What a waste of talent.  What were they thinking?

• Love 1

Wait. Is that the kid from "Girlfriend's Guide to Divorce"? He plays a douche on that show too!

Yes. 

Ugh that kid was so many shades of awful.  But of course, I blame his parents and that mamby-pamby overly-permissive style of parenting.  Plus the husband was a douchcanoe of the highest order. 

NOT that ZQ's character was any better!  He was a perfect arse as well.  And while I'd totally be side-eyeing the way they are raising their little hellion, slapping another person's child is just absolutely a NO on any level. 

Hector and Harry are cousins. Uma Thurman and the parents of Hugo are friends of Hector's family.

I am glad I'm not the only one finding the "relations" between the people on this episode confusing.  Here's a wikepedia entry that attempts to tell who is who. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Slap

I liked it. There I said it. A great cast and while the characters' behavior is awful at first, there seems to be a promise of redemption (I haven't seen the Aussie original). I think the idea of a singular action setting off a chain-reaction of events is interesting. I really like Thomas Sadoski, I hope his story gets a lot of attention.

I'm also intrigued by the kid with the camera. Did he snap an image of Hector and the babysitter making goo-goo eyes at each other under the stairs? And was he flirting with Hector when he told him he had a nice smile?

• Love 5

Ugh. This was awful.  The thing that bugged me the most were the ill-placed, and unfeeling uses of the word "love" by Thandie Newton.  I always feel like she's been hyped as the next big thing for decades, now.

• Love 1

It seems almost like an exact duplicate of the Australian version thus far.  We will learn about Uma Thurman's character and some of the other characters and how they all relate in future episodes.

If they are going in order of the original limited series, next week will focus on Uma's character.  I'm not sure if she can hold a candle to the angst  and heartache the original actress put into the character.  Maybe if Mary Louise Parker was playing the part as intended, maybe.

Lastly, the men in the original series were hot.. the men in this.. not so much.  And here I thought the US was more obsessed with outer looks then Australia was.

• Love 1