Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E11: Always The Bridesmaid

• Start Topic

Totally undeserved win.  Helen's dress was just the least ugly. 

It was Fabio's time.  And wtf was that weird spatter-painted smock thing he was wearing?

That was spectacularly bad for all of them.  I'm so disappointed in my beloved Dmitry, but at least he's safe. 

My favorite thing about this episode was the line from Isaac: "You can't just make it work, you have to make it happen!"  I seriously love that, whether he thought it up or somebody else did. 

• Love 10

Fabio???  What a shock!  NOT!!!!  I felt it coming a mile away.  God forbid Michelle goes with that circus monstrosity.

I liked Sanjia's dress... so sue me.   I hated Helen's.  Well not really..I'm in my 60's and if my youngest son was getting married I'd wear it.

I can't believe these 2 people are really getting married on the runway with Alyssa Milano officiating...This is ridiculous! 

• Love 11
I can't believe these 2 people are really getting married on the runway with Alyssa Milano officiating...This is ridiculous!

I'm pretty much betting that there's another real wedding, with proper bridesmaids dresses, groomsmen, and additional guests.

• Love 12

That entire runway was complete suckage. I don't think I'd have declared a winner.

Just glad my Dmitry is safe. Although shocked because I was positive Fabio was the chosen one. I thought he put out some decent stuff in his season but just a whole lot of ugly this one.

How embarrassing to be a total tv sellout and get hitched by Alyssa Millano.

• Love 11

All of the dresses were bad this week. I wonder if the bride told them she wanted something plain. Helen's dress was very boring, and at least Fabio's had a bit of detailing. Sonjie's dress didn't look like her style and the boobs looked odd. Michelle should have gone for the terrible fit on her dress.

Why would anyone want to get married in a one minute ceremony on PR? I can only guess the bride is either involved with Marchesa or just wanted a free wedding gown in exchange for this.

• Love 8

Fabio???  What a shock!  NOT!!!!  I felt it coming a mile away.  God forbid Michelle goes with that circus monstrosity.

I liked Sanjia's dress... so sue me.   I hated Helen's.  Well not really..I'm in my 60's and if my youngest son was getting married I'd wear it.

How did Michelle become this show's pet?

• Love 3

That was my thought too! Who would want to look back on that as the memory of their wedding day? Are people really that desperate to be on TV?

At least the bride didn't have to wear something made by this bunch of "alll stars." I couldn't believe how dull and poorly made most of them were.

• Love 5

Yeesh, what a subpar runway. Sonjia in the top says it all. The front of that thing was hideous. I kinda liked the back though.

I liked Helen's. I'd buy it at the store. As in I could go to a store at the mall and by it right now. It sure was safe.

The top of Dmitry's was fine, but I didn't like the bottom for some reason.

I would have been happy to have Michelle gone, but it was Fabio's time.

AM marrying people on the runway? Ugh so over the gimmicks this season.

Oh, and of course Zanna and her ill fitting 80s getup! At least she's consistent, I suppose...

• Love 1

I have to agree with most of the judging this week.  Everything was pretty dull.  I liked Sonja's and Dimitry's the most.  The winner's was ok, but I think she won by default as the judges seemed meh on all of them.  Maybe having another day would have helped.  It really was too bad as I think given more time, they all could have turned out some interesting creations.  The writing was on the wall for Fabio's exit.

• Love 1

I think my favorite part of part of this entire crap episode was the lack of enthusiasm that the designers expressed when Zanna showed up in the workroom.  I bet she practices those pithy comments she makes in the mirror.  

• Love 9

So my theory is that this couple participated in this dog and pony show to get a free Marchesa wedding gown, and I hope they threw in a free diamond from their new collection.   And hopefully they went home and had a real wedding.  If not, that was pitiful.

My favorite comment was boob....and schmoob.   Eggsaklee.

• Love 9

What a bunch of boring dresses. Yawn!

I have had a really, really bad day and I just want to thank Dmitry for the little sparkly fingers "marchesa" action when they were going to the showroom. It was the only thing that has made me laugh today.

Edited by TexasGal
  • Love 13

The judges drove me insane this week. They (especially Isaac) kept going on and on about how disappointed they were and how it's Project Runway ALL-STARS and the level of talent should be MORE and they should see SO MUCH MORE from the designers, and all I wanted to say was, "Then why don't you give a fricking fancy WEDDING challenge more than 24 MEASLY HOURS, you ASSHOLES?!"

I mean, seriously, come on. They're all unhappy with the level of fitting and design when the designers barely had any time to do it all, plus work with real-world people instead of their usual models, and create a very fancy design but make it wearable to other events besides just the wedding and make it in only one day. It's completely unrealistic. I'd like to see any upscale designers create something brand new and completely finished (and finished well) in less than 24 hours. Not without a massive team helping them. It's ludicrous. So I just wanted to throw things at all the judges when they got so bitchy. You give the designers a crappy amount time, you're going to get a crappy design and output.

I didn't love any of the outfits, but at least Michelle and Sanjia chose more vibrant colors - the dark fabrics that Dmitry, Helen and Fabio went with were so dreary. Frankly, if Michelle's had fit better (and didn't have the penis-design in the bust area, LOL), she could have won.

They don't even get 24 hours...it's more like 10-12 hours to work. There is no way you can create something with any sort of detail in it. That's why we usually get sleeveless, shapeless crap. Unless it is made by Dimitry who is both speedy and detail oriented...but he's also very derivative. But at least his garments always look finished and polished. 

• Love 11

I fell asleep in the middle of this - did I miss an actual wedding with Alyssa Milano, dressed as an Easter egg, officiating or was that a very odd dream I was having?

Isaac Mizrahi is deteriorating into a petulant troll doll even as we watch.

• Love 14

There should have been no winner declared. And then I want to see a season of the designer judges jump through these hoops in this insane amount of time on no sleep. These 24 hour challenges are ridiculous. Each one of them knew they had unfinished garments...but unless they allow them to literally stay up all night to work, I don't understand how much more they can do. Simple is bad; unfinished is bad...so how can we see quality if all resources are tapped out?

• Love 11

Yes, Isaac is becoming even less bearable. I hate people who justify their nastiness in the name of being honest. And put some socks on, for God's sake.

I thought some of the Marchesa wedding gowns were a little over the top, but most of them were gorgeous. I thought the China pattern and most of the jewelry was pretty ugly, though.

I can't even think of anything to say about the designs because they were all so nondescript. I need Michelle to leave asap.

• Love 7

I thought Alyssa looked terrible in her Marquesa dress. So, um, Georgina should have been sent home.

I guess this could be considered the 'real woman' challenge. Except for the fact that they were all thin. Lucky for the designers, yet they still couldn't put together a decent looking bridesmaid dress.

Edited by woodscommaelle
  • Love 14

I thought Sanjia's dress looked like it would be perfect for a Mother of the Bride who was a former stripper. It did no favors for the bridesmaid and seemed very weird in the bosom. But Fabio totally deserved to go home for the lack of finishing on his dress. If you've got time to comment on everyone else's work, you've got time to sew a hem.

Can't they do something about Zanna's hair?! Good gravy it looks horrible!

• Love 6

Not only were the bridesmaid dresses uniformly hideous, ugly and boring, the Machessa bridal gown did not fit the bride and made her look stumpy. For all of the design firepower behind those dresses, it was the saddest looking wedding party I have ever seen, and I went to weddings in the 70s.

• Love 12

Now that no longer have to acknowledge the " gorgeous" Georgina Chapman, how much longer to we have to deal with the "iconic" Isaac Mizrahi?

And I think Alyssa is either 32 months pregnant or she ate her baby.

I always cry at weddings. I didn't at this one.

Edited by Lnmop
  • Love 15

What??? The wedding is the next day? I’m writing this at the beginning of the episode, so I’m wondering how this is going to work. Only one dress will win, so how are they going to dress the other bridesmaids? Are they all going to wear losing dresses? And the “being able to wear the dress again after the wedding” is an urban legend that no woman in her right mind believes. Did they show the designers what the bride’s dress looked like? I heard her say it was a ball gown, but without seeing exactly what it looks like, how can they make gowns to compliment it?
Edited: Yep, they’re wearing the loser dresses. awesome. The wedding gown was boring & made her look thick around the waist. I guess that goes perfectly with the loser bridesmaids dresses.

Alyssa got ordained just for this? Is it really that easy? And if it is, then becoming ordained is kind of a joke

It looks like everyone designed for the events after the wedding, & not for the wedding itself. Except for Sonjia’s all the dresses looked more like cocktail dresses than bridesmaids dresses, I don't think any of them went with the brides gown. I didn’t like Helen’s dress for a bridesmaid or a cocktail party, I didn’t like it at all, I would have sent her home instead of her winning.

• Love 6

All of these dresses were awful. Did not like the fuchsia...thought the bride said wine-colored? Hated Michelle's the most but none were good. Can't believe any bride would go with one of these, free stuff or not. Crappy way to start a marriage.

Glad Dmitri hung in there...really wish Michelle was gone. But no one should have won, not with those prizes. Even with the short amount of time, the ideas they came up with were just bad. All of the dresses seemed very dated.

• Love 4

Alyssa Milano has looked like her baby is seriously overdue since the start of the season. Her tight wardrobe hasn't helped. I keep getting a sausage casing vibe. Nevertheless, I appreciated that she was able to joke about how a penis got her into her predicament. That comment humanized her.

As for the dresses, meh. They were put togther on a shoestring in a hurry, so what did the judges expect? As for that so called wedding, it was an embarrassment.

Edited by Hpmec
  • Love 9

Michelle, as ever, should have gone home, but even more this week for that dress. The color isn't in the palette the bride asked for, it was fussy and ill-fitting, and I don't think the bride is buying a Marchesa ball gown because she wants the guests to be watching her bridesmaids bobbling around with a low, low neckline and no bra instead. And, so Michelle that she's worried about Dmitry's dress being ungraceful.

This week in shut up: Michelle. Zanna (you have to take it to bridesmaid? Really?). Isaac.

I think I must be developing Stockholm syndrome, because I liked both of Alyssa's dresses, although I could have done without the underboob cord on the boat neck.

I don't get the Isaac hate

I think I should take that to the judge's thread. Edited by Julia
  • Love 2

This was the worst episode ever IMO.  The ugliest dresses I've ever seen.  What's happened to this show.  Going downhill in a hurry.  

Pregnant or not, someone PLEASE get Alyssa a dress that fits.  Yikes!

• Love 10
Alyssa got ordained just for this? Is it really that easy? And if it is, then becoming ordained is kind of a joke

Five minutes online with the Universal Life Church will get you a free ordination. Not all states/counties recognize it for wedding officiating and New York is one of them. So, hopefully they got married at the courthouse beforehand or have a real wedding planned after.

Five ugly dresses and a wedding on the runway.  An hour of my life I will never get back.

That's what she said.

• Love 3

Five minutes online with the Universal Life Church will get you a free ordination. Not all states/counties recognize it for wedding officiating and New York is one of them. So, hopefully they got married at the courthouse beforehand or have a real wedding planned after.

That's what she said.

So Monica and Chandler aren't really married?

Edited by avecsans
  • Love 14

I think the bride was offered a free dress to go through this sham.  And the poor bridesmaids.  Having always been a bridesmaid but never a bride, our dresses usually do not represent our individual tastes, but at least they are fitted and hemmed.  I don't know how they found this wedding party, if , indeed, it really was a wedding party.  I just can't...even at the runway wedding the designers and judges were closest to the runway with the 'guests' seated behind them.  I agree with others that there had to be a real wedding with real bridesmaid dresses at some other point.  

GaT, you are so right that rewearing a bridesmaid dress is an urban legend.  And yet, brides always say that 'you can wear it again'.  Nope.  Now there are some brides who say pick what you want but in this color.  Really?  It still doesn't work.  As for the dresses in this episode, when is someone going to wear fuschia again?  I actually did wear a bridesmaid dress more than once, but that was after I turned it into a western saloon girl outfit for Halloween (yes, it really was that bad...).

I also think Alyssa was too full of herself for 'officiating' a wedding.  Her subtle (NOT) fashion references and her demeanor really did not fit with the occasion.  I guess this episode was too close to home as well as just a mess.  I don't think any of the designers really care anymore and Sandja's breakdown was really kind of revealing as to the real effects of the 1 day challenges-not just unimpressive clothes, but really psychological challenges as well.

• Love 4

The bridesmaid dress that can be worn again is the unicorn of fashion.  They were obviously being set up to fail.

I thought all the Marchesa stuff was really ugly.  Way to frou frou for my taste.  And the wedding gown did nothing for that pretend bride.

• Love 2

I want to ask Georgina and Isaac if the bride got to choose some QVC shoes from the wall to go with her gown.

I'm totally sympathetic to Sonjia's breakdown--imagine having the vision and talent to design beautiful clothes and then being boxed into a few hours for producing crappy unfinished shapeless drapes that you have to defend as representative of your skills to bitchy runway judges, day after day after day. . .

• Love 10

This is the last week of this God awful show for me. Alyssa did look like one of those Faberge eggs sitting in its holder. Those dark dresses were more fit for a funeral than a wedding. And Helen's looked like an everyday wrok dress walking down the runway until they did a closeup and you saw the embellishment - which made it look worse. O definitely thought Helen or Michelle should have gone but I think these two are primping for the final three and one of them for the win. O'll check back on the boards to see what happens as I can't waste my time watching this anymore.

Next project runway - let's have Issac, Michael Kors, Georgina and some unknown designers compete. No immunity, same 24 - 48 hr time span and judges not knowing who's dress is who's before the runway. Let's see how long Isaac, Michael and Georgina last - that I could go for.

• Love 4

Not a surprise that Fabio went home.  He'd fallen out of favor and was sliding down hard over the last few weeks.   As for the winner, I could see the judges points about Sonjia's dress but I still thought it was prettier than Helen's.  Helen's seemed cut well (hard to tell because of the colors) but it seemed more appropriate for an odd funeral than a wedding.  Black and deep blue?  Girlfriend needs to step back from the Goth.

Comments on the outfits:

Dmitry:  I hate to agree with Michelle, but Dmitry took his outfit straight from what the bride had been wearing during their meeting.  Dmitry's dress wasn't as nice as what she was wearing though.  I bet if the judges had seen a photo of the bride he wouldn't have been safe.  Is he burning out?  A big meh this week.  

Fabio:  Good lord, she looked like a bedazzled flight attendant.  Those shoulders could have been interesting but were slightly off.  The dress itself was blah.  If he hadn't been on a multi-week slide, he'd have been safe and Dmitry would have been in the bottom, though.

Helen:  This, as I said above, is a dress for a courtesan's funeral.  Dark.  Depressing.  The basic shape was nice enough, but this was the winner?  Any bride who puts her attendants in dark blue and black is angry at them over something.

Michelle:  MIchelle had an idea, which is more than several other folks had, but was unable to execute.  The dress was baggy and ill fitting when it should have skimmed the woman's torso.  And despite Michelle's contention that the neckline and bodice of bridesmaid dresses should be interesting (I agree with her on this), she made a neckline and bodice that was more suitable for JLo or Kim Kardashian than it is for the average woman.  Who wants to look like her boobs could fall out of her dress?

Sonjia:  I think this should have been the winner.  It had problems, but was the best looking thing on the runway (mainly because the other dresses sort of sucked).  That big weird wrinkle across the top of the arse should have been fixed.  Yes, it was a drapey in the extreme.  But it flattered the model and looked like something that she could dance in and enjoy herself at the reception.  She theoretically could wear it elsewhere after the wedding, assuming she was part of the cast of Dynasty or Dallas.

Weird episode.

Oh, another weird thing.  I was checking Twitter for comments on the dresses and found that Helen has blocked me.  It must have been something from her original season, but I didn't see anything in my Twitter history about her that was worthy of blocking.  She must be a bit sensitive.  

Edited to add one more comment:   I watched the runway wedding.  The bodice of the bride's gown didn't seem to fit.  It looked really low like it was going to fall off her breasts, then when she turned to look at the groom, there was a gap in the back.  Why wouldn't Marchesa tailor that gown perfectly for something like this?   Maybe it was the wrong gown for her shape.  Dunno.  It just didn't appear to fit well.

Edited by terrymct
  • Love 5

They missed a huge opportunity and I don't get why.  Bridesmaids dresses are the brunt of endless jokes. This was a golden opportunity!  I was surprised to see them fail so miserably.  

OT. The best bridesmaid attire I have seen was at a friends wedding and she came up with the idea.  They wore tea length navy blue skirts, which could be worn again and they were, many times.  The women loved them.  Each had a top in a different but coordinated color, also could be worn again and each woman could choose the style that suited her figure.  They looked great with jeans, too.  Brilliant idea.   And this from the bride sans designer.  

• Love 3

Okay, agree with just about everyone above. This was an inexcusable mess and waste of everyone's time; the designers, the judges, the audience. Pathetic, desperate gimmick which clearly didn't work. Not enough time for anyone to make a dress which had any real fit, detailing; not enough prep/idea time, not enough time with unfamiliar models. This was designed to make the designers fail and they likely knew it.

So--the shark was hiding in the sewing room and everyone jumped over it to get to the machines, right?

• Love 5