Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E13: Getting Prickly In Mexico

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

The three finalists journey to Mexico, and one eliminated contestant rejoins the competition. Then, the chefs must prepare a dish that showcases a unique type of prickly pear. Also: Local artwork inspires dishes. Appearing: chef Enrique Olvera.

I know Padma emphasized the randomness of which chef got which artist.....but Doug getting an artist from his neck of the woods in Texas?? His dish looked the most like what the artist did, and his flavors seemed to capture the warmness and richness of the painting.

The quickness with which Doug was brought back in startled me. There was NO time spent on the last contest. I had no idea what they were cooking, or why. George was dismissed, game over.

Mei's plate was so restrained in comparison to the artist she was with. That woman was OUT there, in a fun way, and the plate didn't reflect that, for me.

Greg did a great job, I think, not only with the colors but with the interpretation of the painting.

Melissa totally lost me. I don't want to eat gray food. I know she's trying to show something dark, but gray ravioli doesn't appeal to me.

One question: Did the artist paint what they did, based on what they were seeing the chefs cook on the spot, or the other way around? Or a combo of both? Because the two winners definitely had plates that reflected the paintings. And I'm glad they get to keep them. What a treasure.

I'm glad Doug got back in and won this round. I don't have a problem with this LCK winner coming back since he was only gone for a very short time. Backed by his consistent good performance ALL season long, in every contest.... unlike George.

Melissa was the right one to be eliminated. Again, based on past performance, which for me holds more weight than just one dish. She's a private chef and maybe this will lead to a bigger career for her.

With Katsuji in Doug's corner, the guy can't lose. I hope. And it helps Doug knows what good Mexican food tastes like.

• Love 4

Melissa's artist - using colors not generally found in food in a challenge where "your food must visually represent the work of art" is a mandate and giving only a vague idea of what he'd be creating since he planned to improvise - would be the hardest, so I wasn't surprised to see her be the fourth of a fabulous group where it came down to small details.

Greg and Doug had art work easy to put on the plate, and Mei to a lesser extent.  But taking nothing away from them; they did great jobs.

Doug repeatedly using "Ma'am" earned him major points with me. 

Mei seemed forced in her embrace of her artist's work compared to the other chefs, but her countenance makes it hard to tell.  One thing is for certain: she can't speak Spanish.  Her attempts at "skin" were really something.

Taking KeriAnn over Stacy surprised me.  How embarrassing to be among the chefs left standing, but that Aaron was among them inspires an evil grin.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 6

I'm glad both Mei and Doug made it through! They sure are in a beautiful city. I'm torn between who I want to win, Mel or Doug. I'll miss the finale next week because I'm taking a class: "Knife Skills."

• Love 1

The quickness with which Doug was brought back in startled me. There was NO time spent on the last contest. I had no idea what they were cooking, or why. George was dismissed, game over.

This is because it was the end of the LCK challenge.  If you'd watched that, you would know the result was left as a cliffhanger, the results of which was what you saw on TC tonight.

There was discussion about this in last week's episode thread, as well as LCK thread :)

Edited by DHDancer

I didn't necessarily want Melissa to go, but I'll be damned if I wanted someone who'd been practically steady throughout the whole competition to go! So, glad Mei stayed. She's the first one I felt this passionate about since Hung. And, Hung is my absolute favorite. Best Top Chef ever!

• Love 6

This is because it was the end of the LCK challenge.  If you'd watched that, you would know the result was left as a cliffhanger, the results of which was what you saw on TC tonight.

There was discussion about this in last week's episode thread, as well as LCK thread :)

Sorry, I don't watch the online stuff. I don't remember it being that abrupt last year. NBD

• Love 4

Sorry, I don't watch the online stuff. 

Me either actually!  I only watched once because of Dougie having to pack his knives and go and I wanted to know his fate!   LCK btw is a very short episode.  10 mins maybe and the streaming is pretty good.

• Love 1

Yeah, had I not read the LCK thread (I don't watch it, because I don't watch programming online), I'd have been quite taken aback by joining the George/Doug competition right at the end, having no idea what their challenge was, not hearing much about what they'd cooked, etc.  An episode should be self contained, and they did a bad job with the LCK element in this one.

• Love 5

I had watched LCK (mostly to see Doug kick George's ass) and when they delayed revealing the winner, I felt strongly (hoped stronglyer) that it would be Doug. He hit the ground running and did not coast, did not hesitate and killed it. I'm very happy with the final three--and for once, there's nobody that will make me want to throw my TV off the balcony if they win.

Did Padma seem all kinds of touchy with the guest chef or was that just me seeing her a little baked and in a super good mood? ETA: That's "touchy" as in all over him as opposed to appearing overly senstive.

Edited by buttersister

Yay!  Doug's back!  Yay!  Mei didn't get cut!  I think this is the right top three, although I'd have been happy to swap Gregory out for Adam, just because Adam was my favorite personality.  But really Gregory does seem to be the stronger chef. 

I'm rooting for Mei just barely over Doug, but either of them would be fine by me.  Or Gregory!  He's fine!  I just like the other two more.  It's nice to have a strong top 3.

Really, the funniest thing about this episode is that Gregory's artist kind of looked like that one from the episode of SATC, where Charlotte got her picture painted by a reclusive genius.  Well, part of her was depicted anyway.  So, basically, I just was giggling at that and missing out on the proper reverence Gregory was according him.

I am fine with Doug being in the finale but the praise they gave him for looking like the art was ridiculous when compared to the other three, when it was basic color blocking. Not dissing what was a well received dish but anyone could have made a dish that looked like the painting that Doug had as inspiration.

I did like the prize was the art work.

• Love 7

I'm surprised how hard I was rooting for Mei. I think it's her vulnerability, seeing tears in her eyes after we've become accustomed to tough, no-nonsense, same facial expression Mei all season. I thought she was so arrogant episode 1, but she is much more relatable now that we know her family non-support.

I was highly disappointed that Tom Colicchio and producers could not find 4 Mexican artists to highlight. Doug's artist was a white lady from Texas! Or did I hear that wrong? Her art was the worst and definitely the easiest for the challenge.

• Love 5

I thought they did a kind of poor job ramping up the tension. Melissa had a dish with poorly prepared elements which didn't belong on the plate, and Mei could have been more audacious with her plating? Yeah, that one's a puzzle.

I was amused to see that Melissa ganked an entire salmon to make half a cup of ceviche.

So, I'm thinking the head to head is Doug/Mei.

• Love 3

I was underwhelmed by this episode. I thought the challenge should have been to make great Mexican food. Instead, they were forced to draw "inspiration" from an assigned source. Too much time was spent on the artists and not enough on the chefs.

I am glad Doug is back - I thought he, Mei and Gregory would be the final three all along - but it seemed to me that he won everything as a way to justify the existence of Last Chance Kitchen. I'm glad Gregory did so well, though.

Interesting that Mei worked for my beloved Bryan Voltaggio during their break. And I thought Padma was flirting with the guest judge, too, but in her defense he was pretty cute.

• Love 3

And I thought Padma was flirting with the guest judge, too, but in her defense he was pretty cute.

He absolutely was. I'm afraid, though, I can't tell the difference between Padma flirting and just standard Padma leaden sexual innuendo. 

• Love 7

I expect Mei will be gone next week because I have very little confidence in Top Chef when it comes to gender dynamics. Now, I hope she does make it to the finale, but I don't have high expectations that she will.  And even if she does, I expect that either Doug or Gregory will be the overall winner.

• Love 7

Based on the three dishes they cooked last night, I'd rank them Doug #1, Gregory #2 and Mei #3. Just as the judges had them, and since I couldn't taste the food I am going on judges' comments and presentation. Mei's plate was so sparse, for such a dynamic painting, it really fell flat with me.

• Love 3

I really hope your Manolo is not the same one that took Pete Campbell's mother on the cruise, considering he pushed her overboard to get his hands on her money. Oh wait, that was Mad Men. And I guess that Manolo would be about 100 years old. Never mind.

• Love 5

Sorry, I don't watch the online stuff. I don't remember it being that abrupt last year. NBD

I guess it didn't bother me at all, since haven't they not shown anything in the past and just 'unveiled' the returning LCK person?

Or I've never paid attention since I care even less about LCK than i do about the last couple of seasons of TC :(

• Love 1
Mei's plate was so restrained in comparison to the artist she was with. That woman was OUT there, in a fun way, and the plate didn't reflect that, for me.

Mei had some bad luck there, they were definitely polar opposites. The artist (I think her name was Bea) seems like the type who would hug a complete stranger in a supermarket because they look unhappy.

• Love 2

I swear I am NOT a conspiracy junkie and that the decision was made solely on performance but I just hate that this episode puts the white guy back in and knocks the minority woman out.

• Love 6

I swear I am NOT a conspiracy junkie and that the decision was made solely on performance but I just hate that this episode puts the white guy back in and knocks the minority woman out.

It knocks a minority woman out. There are two POC still in.

• Love 7

Best final 3 ever! Best final 4* for that matter. I would be happy with whoever wins although Dougie has a slight edge with me. Whoever wins this one will be added to my pantheon of favorites along with Hung and Michael Voltaggio.

*Vegas would have been the best final four if Kevin Gillespie hadn't been in it. He always bugged me. I think other people finally saw why in Top Chef Duels.

• Love 1

I'd be happy with any of the F3 winning at this point... I was glad Melissa got the boot, because she coasted through the middle for the first 2/3 of the season. Admittedly, I'd prefer to see either Mei or Doug win (Gregory has turned out to be a pretty disappointing one-trick pony, when he looked unstoppable early on), but any of them is worthy, IMO.

Edited by Nutjob
  • Love 3

They did not "put the white guy back in"..... he WON his way back in. It's not like he just skated by-he W O N the challenge. I feel badly that Melissa got knocked out for a (in Tom's own words) a "very good dish", but that is what happens sometimes in this game, especially at the end when the best cheftestants are left. In no way did I see this as a slight to any minority. Given the fact that only 1 of the final 4 was a "white guy" some "minority" was likely (75% chance) to get knocked out!

Best final 3 ever! Best final 4* for that matter.

They may be the most "likeable" but no way can these 3 or 4 hold a candle to the Vegas finalists in talent. Mei works for one and prepped for the finale with another of those finalists. YMMV

• Love 4

I expect Mei will be gone next week because I have very little confidence in Top Chef when it comes to gender dynamics. Now, I hope she does make it to the finale, but I don't have high expectations that she will.  And even if she does, I expect that either Doug or Gregory will be the overall winner.

Sadly, that was my thought process the moment Melissa was booted.  I would love Mei to win! I think she has been consistently the strongest of any of them.  

• Love 2

Mei's plate was so sparse, for such a dynamic painting, it really fell flat with me.

Yep, cooksdelight, I agree. And I'll never understand the "plate all the food on one the side of the plate" trend. It's goofy. Makes me think the server tripped on the way to the table and just barely pulled off a save.  

• Love 3

They did not "put the white guy back in"..... he WON his way back in.

Didn't say they did.  I said the episode did.  There's a difference.

And given that we cannot taste the food and that the producers have a say in the judging, I reserve the right to be disappointed at the outcome no matter how it came about.

• Love 2

Padma's comment about the aphrodisiac gets added to the Padma's Flirtation Tour 2014 season tally.  I know she always does some, but this season it seems much more pronounced, like she's actually trying to score with the guests.  I mean, you go girl, but maybe backstage?

Gregory is so irritating at this point. I'm rooting for Mei or Doug.  I've liked them both from the start.  I don't think Mei is a bitch.  I think she's just tough, in a good way.

I'd also like to know what happened to the guy who didn't appear in the March of the Dead Chefs, but I don't care enough to Google it, apparently.

• Love 3

Was I the only one who was relieved that Mei didn't act bratty and rude to her artist?   They seemed to be total opposites personality-wise, and I was waiting for Mei's "professional" veneer to crack.  Or perhaps they just left that stuff on the editing floor.  She does not seem to have the gift of graciousness.  She did seem to be grasping for something to say other than "I'm so inspired" when talking about her visit to Bea's studio.  I think she said some variation of "I'm inspired" like 10 times in that TH! She clearly had nothing else (good?) to say about the art or artist.

The other three all seemed to be sincerely respectful of and had an understanding of their artists, with Doug and Gregory doing the best with the challenge, IMO.

Which:  Team Doug!!  Love this guy.  And I loved to see him finally smile some. What a cutie.  

• Love 1

For me, after watching Top Chef for years I knew that Doug was going to be in the finale just based on the make-up of the final 4. If push comes to shove and the dishes are pretty equal, Tom will pick the white guy over any other contestant (gender or race). It happens over and over again. So, I am preparing myself for a Doug win. Personally, I would have sent Gregory home. He fell apart towards the end of the season which was more egregious than Melissa coasting until the finale.

Also, not surprised that Doug got the easiest artist to work with. Always a thumb on the scale for the white guy on TC.

• Love 2

Also, not surprised that Doug got the easiest artist to work with. Always a thumb on the scale for the white guy on TC.

Padma clearly said the artists were randomly assigned (she said she just handed out the envelopes)   I think your comment is belittling the chefs and their skills to be honest.

I don't disagree with you about biases of the show towards men first, although I don't think you can say it's always white guys (do we really know the ethnicity of those who just look white to us?).

• Love 3

Personally, I thought Gregory's artist was the easiest.  What's easier to translate into food than "earthy peasant who grows food"?  

• Love 8

I liked his art the best too.

I really am starting to hate challenges where they have to cook a dish that has to represent something, I would just start making a shit story up, I also hated symbolism when I took English classes: "This represents love, this represents pain, this represent a church, this represents a steeple, open it up and see all the people!"

• Love 7

Visually, Doug's art was the easiest. Mei and Melissa definitely got the more difficult artists.

And I just love Mei and hate that people think she's a bitch just because she's not some phony baloney fawning Southern Belle. I want someone who's really committed and works for it. Based on the prep, she did for the final, I'm more in her corner than before. I love that Michael sent her to Bryan!

• Love 9

And I just love Mei and hate that people think she's a bitch just because she's not some phony baloney fawning Southern Belle.

How is it possible to "love" someone you don't know? Or, are you actually acquainted with her?

I'm sure the reason people think Mei is a bitch is exactly because she isn't a Southern Belle (fallacy, much?). It's possible that her on-screen personality and treatment of her brother may give enough of a reason.

• Love 2