Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E13: Getting Prickly In Mexico

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

I just re watched the preview.  We see Mei concerned that her dish was too simple and Tom saying this is the finals, and you have to come with some great stuff. Mei doing a palm plant on her forehead.  Seems to me Mei is safe.  Palm plant is about them telling her that she had the best dish or some huge compliment.  So she is safe.  LOL   Note to editing monkeys: we are onto you.  

Edited by wings707
  • Love 3

You unintentionally undermine your argument with this point.  55% white men / 45% everyone else in the world doesn't seem like a good ratio to me.  I have no opinion on whether Collichio has any race/gender-based biases.  I just found this argument funny given the numbers.  Of course, it may have been meant sarcastically, in which case, the joke's on me.

Ok. Clearly, this episode has brought out a lot of sensitivies on gender and cultural biases. I do recognize the historical and ongoing injustices that - justifiably - influence these perceptions. However, can we focus on the good here and celebrate the wonderful diversity of the final 5 contestants on our screen this season be they Greek or Texan, Lesbian or Straight, African or Asian American?

There are bigger battles on this front to be fought than those on Top Chef. Just my two cents. YMMV. I'll shut up now.

• Love 9

To clarify, I am not accusing the show of racism or sexism or any other kind of -ism.  I am merely expressing my preference for lots of diversity in the entertainment content I follow.

You unintentionally undermine your argument with this point.  55% white men / 45% everyone else in the world doesn't seem like a good ratio to me.  I have no opinion on whether Collichio has any race/gender-based biases.  I just found this argument funny given the numbers.  Of course, it may have been meant sarcastically, in which case, the joke's on me. 

Responding in Season vs. Season thread.

• Love 1

This ep bugged the crap out of me because it seemed so rigged to justify the LCK "save." Look at the amazing Dougie! He wins the quickfire AND the challenge! OMG, isn't Tom brilliant for bringing him back?? The smell of BS still lingers from my teevee. I like Doug as a contestant, but I'm in agreement with other posters who resoundingly stamp LCK saves with a huge old asterisk (done in Texas red, of course).

Also, I learned I know nothing about art. Thought they were all either garish or depressing and either hurt my eyes or gave me the sadz to look at. 

• Love 2

Does anyone else think there has been a lot of "interpretation" challenges this season?

Yep.  Although I guess at time goes by, it's the easiest way to incorporate sponsor relations (give us your most complex recipe using Hellman's mayo and Saran Wrap...you have 20 minutes, time starts NOW!)..... and appeal to the target locale (we've rounded up a bunch of obscure references to the city based on what we could get clearance for and attempt to highlight it into a cliche that somewhat not really relates to food.....use this as your inspiration to come up with an dish that will wow us with ingenuity that doesn't involve serving Padma undercooked fatty meat or the guest judge anything less than a salt lick....you have 8 minutes...TIME STARTS NOW!!!).

• Love 2

I think that Senor Colicchio is playing games with us.  First, one contestant seemed to stand out above the rest.  Then, suddenly, the odds changed, and the lead shifted to another contestant.  Greg and Mei both had their days in the spotlight.  Then came George, and he became relevant, to justify his being selected to come back from Hell (LCK).  When Tom had us thoroughly confused, he brought back Doug, as if that was some big surprise.  I think that almost anyone could have predicted that move.

Now, we're down to the final three, and one will be selected to leave. These final three are all so outstanding that, IMHO, they all deserve a crack at the title.  But, NO.  First, we have to break someone's heart!  (Interesting that one is black, one is Asian, and one is white.)

Are they going to send home the guy who's spent the past few years trying to get his life back on track?  Would they rather send home the little girl who wants to be a chef, despite her parents' objections?  Or will they force the "little guy" to say goodbye?  I feel so strongly that they have three points of a perfect triangle and that none of them should go until the finale.

Edited by Lura

I am pulling for Mei or Doug. Doug was strong all along until he had that one off night. Gregory was strong in the beginning but the shine fell off him the last four or so challenges. He has just been skimming by and not really giving his all. I have rewatched the last few shows and even he has said that he just doing the minimum to get by. Yes, Doug came up through LCK but that was only for one challenge. He has been there throughout the entire season. Mei has been steady and strong all along. I would love to see her be the third female winner.

Padma had weight?

Lol.  Feel free to blame me for paying too much attention to the eye candy :P

This ep bugged the crap out of me because it seemed so rigged to justify the LCK "save." Look at the amazing Dougie! He wins the quickfire AND the challenge! OMG, isn't Tom brilliant for bringing him back?? The smell of BS still lingers from my teevee. I like Doug as a contestant, but I'm in agreement with other posters who resoundingly stamp LCK saves with a huge old asterisk (done in Texas red, of course).

Also, I learned I know nothing about art. Thought they were all either garish or depressing and either hurt my eyes or gave me the sadz to look at. 

I bet the consideration was put more on Doug winning the Quick Fire than LCK.  QF winners usually have better chances at winning elimination challenges or escaping PYKAG.  This has been somewhat consistent since at least season 5 (my 1st full season of watching TC)

Edited by DarkRaichu
Gregory was strong in the beginning but the shine fell off him the last four or so challenges. He has just been skimming by and not really giving his all. I have rewatched the last few shows and even he has said that he just doing the minimum to get by.

As a Gregory fan, I'm naturally partial to him, but I find this statement to be inaccurate.  Gregory, IMHO, has never worked harder or with more intensity in this competition, and therein lies his problem.  His nerves have gotten the best of him.  How many times lately has he used the words "scared," or "worried," or "nervous?"  Somewhere along the way, he seems to have lost confidence in himself.  Since in his current position at least, he cooks mostly Asian dishes, I think that he's found trouble cooking dishes that don't use Asian flavors and techniques.  When he's out of his zone, he's even more nervous, and who wouldn't be?  If Greg loses, and it's looking that way, I think it won't be because he's allowed himself to relax.  I think it's just the opposite. 

• Love 3

I get the feeling that Gregory works hard but is risk-averse. He has explicitly said he was playing it safe in at least two challenges (Restaurant Wars and the innovation challenge). He is also the one to talk about how contestants bring recipes to the show to use. So I get the feeling that Gregory, more than anyone else, relies on known recipes and doesn't quite push himself. A legitimate strategy for this game but less exciting to watch. I prefer the risk-takers or at least the ones the show edits to be risk-takers.

That's a legitimate point, Noreaster.  I think if Greg had a second decision to make, he wouldn't decide to play it safe but would have continued to swing for the fence on every challenge.  That switch to "easy" was the beginning of his troubles.  Of course, he might not see things that way, and I might just be putting thoughts in his head.

That's another reason I have so much respect for Mei.  To my knowledge, she has never taken the easy way out and has continued to push herself whatever the challenge.  Moreover, with respect to the Chinese feeling about cooks being a lower class, she's been caught in a generation gap over which she has no control.  That can't be easy.  I know I'll be happy for any cheftestant who wins.  They've all worked so hard to get where they are.

• Love 6