Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E13: Getting Prickly In Mexico

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

It could be that none of us know these people and all of our reactions, positive and negative, are equally valid and/or invalid, since they're based on our subjective reactions to edited "reality" footage.

Me, I find Mei's depersonalized task-oriented approach attractive, and coming from a time when women in cooking were pretty brutally hazed, I completely understand why a woman at the high end of her profession would be a hardass. I also understand why a private chef in an affluent market like Melissa would be manipulative and a people pleaser.

I find it kind of fascinating that Mei and Doug take more or less the same undramatic approach, and Greg and Melissa self-mythologize in a very similar way, and somehow the debate is over Mei and Melissa.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 20

I know next to nothing about art, but I must say that the painting from the Texas lady looked like a piece of crap that a 12 year old could do. When Doug said he was going to send it to his mom, I couldn’t help thinking "OMG Doug must hate his mom!"

• Love 1

Well, as an art major in college, I liked all the paintings. I could taste the meat in the Texas lady's painting, and when I saw what was on Doug's plate I knew he nailed it. I guess that's why I was so disappointed in Mei not showing more color and abstract shapes on her plate. If Katsuji had been on her team, it might have been a different story, knowing him and his very colorful sauces.

• Love 7

I'd also like to know what happened to the guy who didn't appear in the March of the Dead Chefs, but I don't care enough to Google it, apparently.

I did the math and realized there were only 15, but can't figure out who was missing.  I could probably figure it out if I tried harder, but like you can't quite care enough.  This may be a mystery that is never solved :)

I'm glad that it was Doug that came back. It kind of cancels out them bringing George back.  

I couldn't decide who to root for this episode.  I like them all, but I think maybe Doug and Mei are my favorites.  I like Gregory, but this isn't Top Curry, he needs to show more depth.

The girls seem like they got the hardest artists to work with, so I figured it would be one of them going home.  I guess at least Melissa got her heart warming win with her mom.

• Love 1

HA, cooksdelight!  How right you are!   That assignment would have been right up Katsuji's alley!  There is so much color in Mexico, whether you're talking about apparel or décor or paintings.  It's easy to see why Katsuji's plates were always so decorative and full of vibrant color whenever possible.  It must have driven him mad that Doug's painting was essentially three colors.

Julia, I thought that your analysis of the difference in Mei-Doug's methods of painting vs. Melissa-Greg's was interesting.  I never looked at their styles closely enough to see that, but it's true and perceptive. 

Edited by Lura
  • Love 1

For me, after watching Top Chef for years I knew that Doug was going to be in the finale just based on the make-up of the final 4. If push comes to shove and the dishes are pretty equal, Tom will pick the white guy over any other contestant (gender or race). It happens over and over again. So, I am preparing myself for a Doug win. Personally, I would have sent Gregory home. He fell apart towards the end of the season which was more egregious than Melissa coasting until the finale.

Also, not surprised that Doug got the easiest artist to work with. Always a thumb on the scale for the white guy on TC.

Well, to move Tom a little off the racist and misogynistic tower you've placed him on, for the winner of LCK he could only pick a white guy, because both of the contenders were white guys.

I think that Doug got the easiest artist as well.  I think Gregory got the hardest one to communicate with since he seemed to speak the least English.

I would have sent Mei home.  Her "interpretation" was lots of blank canvas and that was the opposite of her artist's style.  She made her food like she always does.  I bet it tastes great, but it didn't express the exuberance that you saw in the art.  She could have layed it out like a mask at the very least.

• Love 2

I found it hysterical when Dougie said something to Mei about wishing he had more time to appreciate the scenery and Mei didn't say anything. His next comment, "Nice talking to you, Mei." I don't know what it was about that that made me laugh so hard, but it did. 

Of the two in LCK, I'm glad it was Dougie who came back and not George. I feel like that would be a 3rd chance for him and that's just too much. 

I'd be okay with any of them winning but would prefer Mei then Dougie then George. 

• Love 2
I really hope your Manolo is not the same one that took Pete Campbell's mother on the cruise, considering he pushed her overboard to get his hands on her money. Oh wait, that was Mad Men. And I guess that Manolo would be about 100 years old. Never mind.

That's totally where my mind went too, toodles.

For me, after watching Top Chef for years I knew that Doug was going to be in the finale just based on the make-up of the final 4. If push comes to shove and the dishes are pretty equal, Tom will pick the white guy over any other contestant (gender or race). It happens over and over again. So, I am preparing myself for a Doug win. Personally, I would have sent Gregory home. He fell apart towards the end of the season which was more egregious than Melissa coasting until the finale.

Also, not surprised that Doug got the easiest artist to work with. Always a thumb on the scale for the white guy on TC.

Believe me, I'm far from the biggest fan of Tom Colicchio, but I think this is an unfair assessment.  We're presently in S12 of Top Chef and 2 of the final 3 chefs still standing are non-white and one of those is female.  In the 11 prior TC seasons we have seen four victories by persons of color (Hung, Kevin, Paul, Kristen) and an additional win by a white female (Stephanie) meaning that 45% of the TC winners to date have not been white guys.   

• Love 11

but I think this is an unfair assessment.  We're presently in S12 of Top Chef and 2 of the final 3 chefs still standing are non-white and one of those is female.  In the 11 prior TC seasons we have seen four victories by persons of color (Hung, Kevin, Paul, Kristen) and an additional win by a white female (Stephanie) meaning that 45% of the TC winners to date have not been white guys.

And if you throw in Last Chance Kitchen, which Tom judges alone and hence could really flex his racist muscle and only pick the "white guy", the 3 who have made it back are Beverly, Kristen and Louis......not a "white guy" in the pack.

• Love 4

Jeez, I thought this would be over last night.  They'd bring back the LCK winner, knock one off with a quickfire and have a three-way final. Two more weeks?  They're going to feel like a month long apiece with the sad sacks who got to the end this year.  Didn't they used to have a three way finale?

On a completely different topic, the Finale (s) were shot a long time ago. The season shot in Boston in May and June 2014 and the title cards said it was 6 weeks after filming ended, which means they shot in Mexico in mid-August at the latest. That means the winner and other cheftestants kept their mouths shut for almost 6 months. Normally, the finale is shot closer to the time they air the finale (resulting in some pretty big hair and body shape changes, if I remember correctly, particularly Isabella in All Stars), but not this time.

If my time line is right, it is a good thing George was eliminated since watching him sweat in the Mexican summer would have been very un-appetizing

Edited by AriAu

I'd be happy with any of the F3 winning at this point... I was glad Melissa got the boot, because she coasted through the middle for the first 2/3 of the season. Admittedly, I'd prefer to see either Mei or Doug win (Gregory seems to be a bit of a one-way monkey to me), but any of them is worthy, IMO.

Could we not refer to the one black chef as a monkey? Please and thank you.

• Love 7

I was happy Gregory did well and continue to hope he pulls out a win. I like Doug also, but really the challenge was to be inspired by the artist, not make your plate match the painting. Unless I missed something, Gregory did not make a curry dish and to me he is no more repetitive than the seafood made by Mei each week or the vegetable preparations made by Melissa. Chefs will always have their specialties, but I think Gregory has pushed himself as well. 

I was surprised there is two more segments to this. And on another note, I thought some of the art work was beautiful and wouldn't mind owning a piece.

Edited by Madding crowd
  • Love 4

Sorry to get off topic, but I don't think nutjob intended any offensive.  It's a reference to a Project Runway winner from Belarus(?) who used the phrase "one-way monkey" when he was trying to say "one trick pony" in reference to a fellow competitor who kept do the same design over and over again.

Back to Project Runway talk. 

• Love 16

I thought this episode was okay. It was an interesting enough challenge. I agree with those who say that Gregory and Doug had the easier artworks. They were able to just copy the pieces onto the plates using similar colors. Meanwhile, Melissa and Mei couldn't be so literal with their interpretations. But I don't think any of this mattered much. Based on the edit, it seemed the judges' decision ultimately came down to taste and execution. A couple of nit-picking issues with Melissa's dish meant that she was the one to go home. 

Of the three remaining contestants, I like Doug the most.  He seems like a good cook, has been willing to take risks, and seems like a nice guy. Alas, he's only in the finals because of LCK so I can't root for him to win. For me, he ranks among those contestants who were strong and consistent yet made that one mistake that sent them home. People like Tre Wilcox, Dale Talde, Tiffany Derry, and Angelo Sosa. Worthy of an invite to an All-Stars season but once a contestant is eliminated, he/she should stay out. 

• Love 1

I knew I should have not mentioned my hope for Mei vs Melissa last week.  Judging by the look on Mei, she was more upset about Melissa leaving than happy that she herself stayed.

Padma's comment about the aphrodisiac gets added to the Padma's Flirtation Tour 2014 season tally.  I know she always does some, but this season it seems much more pronounced, like she's actually trying to score with the guests.  I mean, you go girl, but maybe backstage?

Methinks it had a lot to do with gaining more confidence after finally losing all of the baby weight ?

Edited by DarkRaichu

Well, it was perhaps unfortunate, but I'm sure unintentionally so. It is a quote from Dmitri on Project Runway, his mangling of one-trick pony.  Many of us use it to describe someone who does the same thing over and over, in any context.  With no subtext of race whatsoever.  

• Love 7

Well, it was perhaps unfortunate, but I'm sure unintentionally so. It is a quote from Dmitri on Project Runway, his mangling of one-trick pony.  Many of us use it to describe someone who does the same thing over and over, in any context.  With no subtext of race whatsoever.  

I agree.  Totally innocent.  When you think about that, it is a good thing!  

• Love 3

*Vegas would have been the best final four if Kevin Gillespie hadn't been in it. He always bugged me. I think other people finally saw why in Top Chef Duels.

I loved Kevin the best out of those 4, and my love was only confirmed on TCD.  YMMV, of course, and obviously does!

Back to the episode on hand, I don't think Tom Colliccio is Team White Dude, per se... but I do think that he has a definite idea of whom he believes deserves to be in the finale and I really do believe that regardless of who had the best dish the final LCK, Dougie was coming back. Which is fine by me. He's my pick to win. Gregory bores me, I'd be okay with Mai, but Dougie has been somewhat of an underdog, while still performing consistently high.  He takes risks, and his food is usually the one plate I want to eat the most.

• Love 3

Mei's dish just looked uber boring to me.. especially compared to the artwork it was supposed to be inspired by. Obviously i can't taste it, and it seems like it tasted good... but the inspiration part of this challenge seemed totally lost on her dish.

I loved Greg's orange sauce, it was so pretty on the plate and really fit with the art side of the challenge... and sounds like it tasted really good, too.

Melissa's artist seemed more challenging... or at least what she took from him as inspiration, which is maybe why she made those few little mistakes that got her sent home.

Doug's dish was definitely literal in it's inspiration from the painting, but again... it sounds like the flavors were right.

Michael was also the same guy who didn't come back when George made his way back into the competition.  I suspect there is some back story there.

I don't particularly love Mei, I especially didn't like her at the beginning of the season, but I certainly don't see her as a "bitch" merely because she isn't particularly warm and has a high estimation of her skills.  She has absolutely put out some great, consistent food, so if she wins, I won't have much of a problem with it.  But I am absolutely expecting that it will be one of the men, most likely Doug.

• Love 1

I missed how they got their artist, choice or assigned?  Melissa had the most challenging.   I don't think the judges took the painting aspect into consideration.  It was something to make this episode more interesting and fun for viewers, if you will.  The food has to taste good and be innovative.  

Melissa could have said, the pic reminds me of a rainy day so I made ________.  Blue being the rain, of course, and the residents inside eating what you might choose on a rainy day.  Easy.  She could have made anything.   Her demise was seeking to be literal.  

Go Mei!!  

I am hoping for a Doug/Mei finale, just because they seem to be the most talented chefs. And between those two, I'm rooting for Mei all the way. She is so determined, and I also really want her to show her parents that her decision to become a chef is all worth it. And I don't care about her bitchiness. I think it's a front so she can make it through the competition with her emotions intact. We've seen her drop the front a few times, and I definitely think she was sad to see Melissa go.

As for tonight's competition, I think they made the right choices. I love Mei, but her work was not bright enough to match her kooky artist.  Someone mentioned upthread that they were worried Mei would come across rude to her artist. I didn't think she'd purposely BE rude, I just thought she wouldn't be able to contain her bewilderment at this kooky lady. I was pleasantly surprised how well Mei intereacted with her - which just goes to show to me that she is NOT the bitch on which her face rests.  She's a nice person who loves to cook and has a LOT to prove.  Her statements in the beginning: this is not about the money, this is about the title. She wants to show she's the best - which to her means, not taking her eyes of the prize, etc.

(Clearly, I'm a huge fan of Mei's. I won't be upset if Doug wins, or even Gregory - altho I don't think he's as good - one-trick pony for sure - but I think Mei's the best and deserves it the most).

• Love 8

Melissa could have said, the pic reminds me of a rainy day so I made ________.  Blue being the rain, of course, and the residents inside eating what you might choose on a rainy day.  Easy.  She could have made anything.   Her demise was seeking to be literal.

One of the challenge parameters was that the dish must visually represent the artist's work; it wasn't just to make something inspired by it.  It seemed to me a stronger - and more logical - version of the "we must be able identify the author by looking at your plate" part of the NE authors challenge, trying to say you can't just decide to cook whatever you want and then weave a tale of how it is inspired by the work to check that requirement off the list; you have to make something that actually looks like it was inspired by it to the diners standing there looking at your plate and the artist's work.  

Which is why I think Melissa had the most difficult artist to work with -- he used colors more difficult to represent with food than the others, and he gave her the most incomplete vision going in of what his piece was going to look like, since he intended to wing much of it that day.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 4

That was exactly where it came from, yes. I meant no offense, and frankly, Gregory's race hadn't even crossed my mind, but if laprin doesn't watch Project Runway, I could see why they'd be confused. It's just part of the lexicon on those forums, so I meant it more as an inside joke to those of us who watch both. (I suppose I should be offended that someone automatically assumed my comment was racial, but I'll let it go and get back on topic.)

I think Mei was the one whose countenance matched her artist the least. The others got pretty much the perfect partner for the challenge, with Mei's being a huge contrast to her personality. Frankly, I thought she did surprisingly well in light of that.

• Love 6

I know next to nothing about art, but I must say that the painting from the Texas lady looked like a piece of crap that a 12 year old could do. When Doug said he was going to send it to his mom, I couldn’t help thinking "OMG Doug must hate his mom!"

I wasn't the biggest fan of her work (it's the one I'd have least wanted to own), but when she explained it as being inspired by the walls of Aztec pyramids (that's what it was, right?) I understood what she was going for, and it made me think of Aliette de Bodard's books. But still....

• Love 1
I swear I am NOT a conspiracy junkie and that the decision was made solely on performance but I just hate that this episode puts the white guy back in and knocks the minority woman out.

What would your solution have been then? Keeping in mind that "white" is a color too, of course.

I'm happy with any of the remaining three contestants winning. THIS is what I want to see in a reality competition - people who come to the end because they've cooked their ass off, not because (like other reality shows) they bring the drama or give good THs. I'm not there tasting the food, so I've got to trust that the judges know better than I do. If someone makes good food, I don't care what their skin color is, what their sexual orientation is, or which god they pray (or don't pray) to. 

Tom Colicchio has made some decisions that I did NOT like over the years, but I like to think that TC has some integrity for a reality competition. 

• Love 2

I think Mei took a chance with her subdued interpretation of her artist and ultimately went with flavor and it worked out for her in the end.  Sure Katsuji would have been more fun to watch with that artist but remember he did go home for the splatter plate, not because of the splatter but the lack of nuance of the flavors of his dish in total.  Going big colors and plate dynamics while overlooking taste is dangerous ground on Top Chef.  If you have to balance "bites" over a smaller area, you can kind of think about a little bit of sauce, a piece of protein, a veg nearby, a sprinkling of crispy chicken skin etc.  If you extrapolate that to a larger plate it because a volume thing....how to make it look good, taste good, make sense etc.  I think it's harder than it looks and it looks hard!

I also applaud Mei and Melissa and well I guess all of the chefs to staying true to their personalities. I don't think Mei or Melissa were overtly outgoing around their artists, true to their nature from what we've seen.  It takes longer to get to know them and see them more animated and I can relate to that.  I can especially relate to Mei and her artist because while the artist seemed lovely and warm and endearing, she was very open and dramatic in her voice and gesticulations and carrying a big mask and yelling behind it and I just don't roll like that with people who I've just met.  The artist seemed to not mind the little wall that Mei put up and she was equally as gracious popping in and making comments throughout the challenge.  You have an artist who throws reckless abandon on a canvas and you have a chef who loves plating microgreens with tweezers.  I think it's kind of ridiculous for the judges to say "Mei I think you could have really gone farther on the plating" or whatever when it's not endemic to who you are...from Mei's perspective she DID go farther.  It's like telling Tom he should be more tolerant of republicans or Padma she should be less tawny.

Same applies to Dougie who went with rustic texas red chili.  It was in his wheelhouse and he just plated it to mimic the artist design....not sure why that was considered more aggressive.  If he would have gotten a splatter artist who painted in brown, would the right thing to do was slop the chili on the plate from 1 foot above and leave it?   I would PAY to see that!!   Definitely glad Doug got back and we aren't subjected to George.  Don't know about the food but it did seem that it was unlikely that Tom would let George come back again considering Doug was eliminated on an aggressive choice.

• Love 3

To clarify, I am not accusing the show of racism or sexism or any other kind of -ism.  I am merely expressing my preference for lots of diversity in the entertainment content I follow.

• Love 2

Nutjob, you have no room to be offended. Clearly, I didn't think your post was intended to be offensive, because if I did, it certainly would have been an entirely different tone from me. Instead, it was very respectful and meant to alert you to the fact that as unintentional as it may be, it can be construed as offensive - so let's avoid it.  I certainly wouldn't want others to latch onto and, thus, continue the practice of referring to any black person with a title that has been historically used by racists to refer to us. Also, I do watch Project Runway, and if Dimitri had used such a statement on air in reference to one of the African American contestants, I'm pretty sure he would have had his ass handed to him on social media. 

• Love 2

I also applaud Mei and Melissa and well I guess all of the chefs to staying true to their personalities. I don't think Mei or Melissa were overtly outgoing around their artists, true to their nature from what we've seen.  It takes longer to get to know them and see them more animated and I can relate to that.  I can especially relate to Mei and her artist because while the artist seemed lovely and warm and endearing, she was very open and dramatic in her voice and gesticulations and carrying a big mask and yelling behind it and I just don't roll like that with people who I've just met.  The artist seemed to not mind the little wall that Mei put up and she was equally as gracious popping in and making comments throughout the challenge

Same applies to Dougie who went with rustic texas red chili.  It was in his wheelhouse and he just plated it to mimic the artist design....not sure why that was considered more aggressive.  If he would have gotten a splatter artist who painted in brown, would the right thing to do was slop the chili on the plate from 1 foot above and leave it?   I would PAY to see that!!   Definitely glad Doug got back and we aren't subjected to George.  Don't know about the food but it did seem that it was unlikely that Tom would let George come back again considering Doug was eliminated on an aggressive choice.

Agree 100%. Ten thumbs up!

• Love 1

Nutjob, you have no room to be offended. Clearly, I didn't think your post was intended to be offensive, because if I did, it certainly would have been an entirely different tone from me. Instead, it was very respectful and meant to alert you to the fact that as unintentional as it may be, it can be construed as offensive - so let's avoid it.  I certainly wouldn't want others to latch onto and, thus, continue the practice of referring to any black person with a title that has been historically used by racists to refer to us. Also, I do watch Project Runway, and if Dimitri had used such a statement on air in reference to one of the African American contestants, I'm pretty sure he would have had his ass handed to him on social media. 

Well, I know what my intention was, and you now know what my intention was (and perhaps knew what it was before your initial comment, and already knew the context), so I am leaving it at that. No need to keep going round about this here, and if you'd like to discuss further, you're welcome to message me. (I've also edited my original post to avoid offending anyone else, because that truly was not my intent.)

Edited by Nutjob
  • Love 3

Also, I do watch Project Runway, and if Dimitri had used such a statement on air in reference to one of the African American contestants, I'm pretty sure he would have had his ass handed to him on social media. 

Actually, without stepping into the argument about using loaded terms, Dmitry used that term in reference to Ven, and if you recall from the infamous George Allen senatorial election in VA, monkey is a common slur for south asians. 

I couldn't decide who to root for this episode.  I like them all, but I think maybe Doug and Mei are my favorites.  I like Gregory, but this isn't Top Curry, he needs to show more depth.

Gregory did not make a curry in this episode. Whereas I see your point - I also know that there is so much diversity in curries - it really would be possible to have a multi-episode curry competition if one were so inclined.

I actually thought Gregory's dish was the most visually appealing - and looked most like the painting. Then again, I love tamarind and the flavours (tamarind and orange) sounded excellent together.

Totally happy with the top three. They've all earned their spot. I'm rooting for the one whose food is most intriguing over the next 2 episodes.

• Love 3

Totally happy with the top three. They've all earned their spot. I'm rooting for the one whose food is most intriguing over the next 2 episodes.

Agreed. Even if Melissa had stayed, there was no-one competing this episode who would have been a travesty if they'd gone to the final (say, Bacon Josh).

• Love 2

Same applies to Dougie who went with rustic texas red chili.  It was in his wheelhouse and he just plated it to mimic the artist design....not sure why that was considered more aggressive.  I

I was a little disappointed that the first round in Mexico went to the chef who did Tex Mex.

I'm sure it was terrific, and it certainly suited the artist and painting, but I felt the other chefs had more challenging matches and had to be more creative, and not just execute well.

ETA: Tom went out of his way to say that he thought it was a jarring challenge for Doug (I didn't get that vibe from Doug at all) and that as a result, Doug gave them something they haven't seen from him before. That's true, but just because Doug hasn't done it one Top Chef, doesn't mean it's not familiar, comfortable ground for him.

To the extent the challenge was intended to pull the chefs out of their comfort zones, I don't that was true for the guy that actually won the challenge.

Edited by Latverian Diplomat
  • Love 2

As much as I have enjoyed Doug in the show, it bothered me that he was brought back in.  Perhaps it wouldn't have bothered me if they were still in Boston.  I didn't like feeling we were in the home stretch and then all of a sudden a new contestant appears.  I didn't watch the LCK season where the returnee won, so perhaps I was a bit more surprised than most, but I really don't like this twist.  

This season feels like it's been going on for three years at this point.  Damn.  Three more episodes?  I'm ready for a break. 

Who could possibly derive inspiration from bad art?  I imagine I could pick up one of their paintings at an art show at the airport Ramada.  It's a good idea on paper, but in reality I thought this was pathetic.  And it's a bit odd to force the cheftestants to so literally cook around a dilettante artist's work this late in the game.  Why not have them take inspiration from a favorite painting of their own instead? 

• Love 2
In the 11 prior TC seasons we have seen four victories by persons of color (Hung, Kevin, Paul, Kristen) and an additional win by a white female (Stephanie) meaning that 45% of the TC winners to date have not been white guys.

You unintentionally undermine your argument with this point.  55% white men / 45% everyone else in the world doesn't seem like a good ratio to me.  I have no opinion on whether Collichio has any race/gender-based biases.  I just found this argument funny given the numbers.  Of course, it may have been meant sarcastically, in which case, the joke's on me. 

Gregory did not make a curry in this episode. Whereas I see your point - I also know that there is so much diversity in curries - it really would be possible to have a multi-episode curry competition if one were so inclined.

I actually thought Gregory's dish was the most visually appealing - and looked most like the painting. Then again, I love tamarind and the flavours (tamarind and orange) sounded excellent together.

I realize that Gregory didn't make curry this challenge and that there are many different types of curry -- curry of all types is one of my favorite things in the world.  I was just trying to decide today what I like more, curry or brunch.  I also know that curry is freaking hard to make well, but Gregory has made a whole hell of a lot of curry this season.  I don't care enough to research it, but I think he might have made more curries than Melissa made dishes that "showcased her cuts."  Overall, I like Gregory, I just like Mei and Doug more and feel like they've stretched a bit more over the season than Gregory and Melissa.  Melissa, however, won a piece of my heart with the family challenge.  Seeing her with her mom was just... I think I got something in my eye.

I was a little disappointed that the first round in Mexico went to the chef who did Tex Mex.

I'm sure it was terrific, and it certainly suited the artist and painting, but I felt the other chefs had more challenging matches and had to be more creative, and not just execute well.

ETA: Tom went out of his way to say that he thought it was a jarring challenge for Doug (I didn't get that vibe from Doug at all) and that as a result, Doug gave them something they haven't seen from him before. That's true, but just because Doug hasn't done it one Top Chef, doesn't mean it's not familiar, comfortable ground for him.

To the extent the challenge was intended to pull the chefs out of their comfort zones, I don't that was true for the guy that actually won the challenge.

I think Tom meant the challenge had the biggest impact on Doug.  He seemed to have the deepest connection with his artist due to her similarities to his mother.  Due to this connection Doug cooked from the heart and the dish he put out was different than what he had previously cooked in the competition (I don't know if the difference is true, but that's what I interpreted Tom's meaning to be).  While Doug grew up in Texas and has probably cooked Texas red countless times over his life, he probably doesn't serve it in his restaurant.  

• Love 2

I think Tom meant the challenge had the biggest impact on Doug.  He seemed to have the deepest connection with his artist due to her similarities to his mother.  Due to this connection Doug cooked from the heart and the dish he put out was different than what he had previously cooked in the competition (I don't know if the difference is true, but that's what I interpreted Tom's meaning to be).  While Doug grew up in Texas and has probably cooked Texas red countless times over his life, he probably doesn't serve it in his restaurant.  

This is all true, but I don't think it was the response the challenge was intended to provoke from the contestants. They have had "cook from your roots, cook from your heart" challenges before, and the (real) finale is likely to be that sort of a challenge, it has been before.

So Doug was working in a completely different space that the other contestants, and I think it was provoked by connecting with the artist as a person more than her art. Now it may be that Tom prefers "cook from the heart", authenticity as a theme more than "evoke random factor x in a dish" challenges. But I don't think Doug should have been rewarded for that.

As I said, his food was certainly delicious, it did capture elements of a specific painting. I'm not saying he didn't fulfill the requirements of the challenge. I do think he what he did was less interesting than what the others did.

Edited by Latverian Diplomat
  • Love 1