Type keyword(s) to search

Talking Dead: Where Chris Hardwick Got His Groove Back

• Start Topic

On ‎11‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 8:02 AM, ghoulina said:

Wasn't this show (TWD, not TTD) originally shopped to HBO and they turned it down?

Was it?  Because that's a shame.  The commercials are such a regrettably large part of the show, they get as many remarks in the Live Chat as some of the characters.  (Hello again, Matthew McConaughey.  Should you be promoting cars and liquor?)  It would have been very nice if they hadn't had to write all the scenes to fit between the commercial break time constraints.

LDP is one of their best guests, and the comedian in the middle was pretty funny.  Guy on the end wasn't worth much.

Next week is Kevin Smith.  I like him!  (Not enough to watch him jaw with his pals about comic book values, but still.)

• Love 1
8 hours ago, eejm said:

Lou Diamond Phillips was a kickass guest on the FTWD version of Talking Dead.  Glad he's getting his chance on this version.  

Oh my god.  Lou Diamond Phillips was on something?   

• Love 1

I'm not. The beach made me think Tara somehow washed up on the set of FEAR the Walking Dead. 

I'm kind of over Kevin Smith. He can be funny, but he doesn't need to make every answer into a joke. 

I am not into Jesus at all on the show. The flat ironed hair with the severe center part - no. But on the after show, Tom Payne was quite a cutie patootie. The accent really does it for me. I wish they'd let him use it on the show. There are Brits in America. 

• Love 4

I didn't understand the beach thing. Unless they little girl is Judith, they are bringing in even more characters. We already have the people at ASZ, The Kingdom, The Hilltop and the Saviors. Do we need Beach people too?

I thought this episode was OK, Kevin Smith doesn't bother me because he actually knows about the show. Not a huge fan of Kung Fu Jesus or the actor who plays him. I thought Chris' shout-out to his mom was kind of cute.

Talking  Dead droning on about hooow incredddible the Oceanside set was...wow such geniuses to think of using netting!! Yeah, it whould take me a quick walk thru Disneyland Adventureland...Indiana Jones and Jungle Cruise crap, AAAAAAAND itsa wrap 

• Love 3

I like the lady who plays Elvira, but boy does she look different in real life! This was another week when they should have had a 30 minute episode. There is really nothing to talk about. In the past, Chris and his guest could talk about the meanings of things (like Terminus or Woodbury), but there is no mystery here, except the fate of Heath. The actress who plays Tara annoys me, but it is cool she did her own stunts. I guess Chris is bringing his friends on now because even he is bored with the show. 

9 minutes ago, Madding crowd said:

I guess Chris is bringing his friends on now because even he is bored with the show. 

They mentioned that someone else was supposed to be on the show but she had to cancel. I assume he called on Jonah since they're friends and he's nearby and Chris knows he watches the show (since he's also been on TD before)

• Love 2

Chris has had his friends on before though. I just think he doesn't have a whole lot to work with anymore. There was really nothing complex about the episode and outside of questions like "Did you do your own stunts?" what topics could even be discussed that weren't talked about last week. Chris likes to bring on friends who can crack jokes because he is most comfortable with the humor aspects. It's ok to an extent but since TWD isn't a comedy, they result to sex jokes far too often. 

• Love 3
38 minutes ago, weightyghost said:

They mentioned that someone else was supposed to be on the show but she had to cancel. I assume he called on Jonah since they're friends and he's nearby and Chris knows he watches the show (since he's also been on TD before)

Sarah Hyland from 'Modern Family' was the scheduled 3rd guest.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

Chris has had his friends on before though. I just think he doesn't have a whole lot to work with anymore. There was really nothing complex about the episode and outside of questions like "Did you do your own stunts?" what topics could even be discussed that weren't talked about last week. Chris likes to bring on friends who can crack jokes because he is most comfortable with the humor aspects. It's ok to an extent but since TWD isn't a comedy, they result to sex jokes far too often. 

Yeah, I'm no prude, but once they started yukking it up about "semen extraction", my eyes rolled up into my skull and I turned it off.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, HighMaintenance said:

Yeah, I'm no prude, but once they started yukking it up about "semen extraction", my eyes rolled up into my skull and I turned it off.

Hardwick's sense of humor seems to have been arrested somewhere around the 6th grade. He was sooo excited to be able to shoot a bird.

• Love 2
52 minutes ago, callmebetty said:

Damn starting dozing off at the end. what was the last question ? They said all JDM would say is it was in the comics. What was the question or statement ? TIA

Why does Negan have a bandage on his wrist?

Dang, did EVERYONE fall asleep? Luckily I recorded it. I always like the sneak preview. However I find the show rather unwatchable. When Chris starts reading fan tweets with that inflection of his, I just burn. It's all downhill from there. Plus he was right there hyping all this Negan phenomenon.

From reading this board, it seems this season is really disappointing. However I would like to know if this disappointment also comes from comic readers. As I've said before I'm not a comic reader so the season long build up to Negan felt uncharacteristic to previous writing. The who got whacked cliffhanger was so strange, and the season opener proved it the shenanigans to be unnecessary. Yes, Negan may be the worse villain we've encountered thus far, but he's so theatrically over the top and it doesn't mesh well with the horrors the Saviors inflict. Do the comic readers have problems with this season so far?

• Love 1

I recorded it too. I have too much on Sunday nights and this show has kind of gone back burner. I always like seeing Chandler, though. 

I'm so irritated that next week is ANOTHER 90 minutes. Chris talks so fast and a few times it sounded like he said, "Nine minute mid-season finale" and I thought, "From your lips to God's ears". 

Comic readers vs. non-comic readers - Shamefully, I follow a few Walking Dead fan pages on social media (started doing so several years ago when I was still in love with this show) and it seems like a LOT of the younger, comic fans are still really into the show and loving all the Negan stuff. I'm not really sure what percentage of the fan base they make up, though. 

When the show time is pushed back to 10:30 on a school night, it allows (or forces?) you to make choices about just how badly do you really want to sit through what's largely a filler show anyway vs. sleep so you're not one of the staggering herd yourself the next day.  So there's at least one perk of the main show just going and going and going ...

Edited by nodorothyparker
  • Love 2
On 12/5/2016 at 3:44 PM, Iguessnot said:

From reading this board, it seems this season is really disappointing. However I would like to know if this disappointment also comes from comic readers. As I've said before I'm not a comic reader so the season long build up to Negan felt uncharacteristic to previous writing. The who got whacked cliffhanger was so strange, and the season opener proved it the shenanigans to be unnecessary. Yes, Negan may be the worse villain we've encountered thus far, but he's so theatrically over the top and it doesn't mesh well with the horrors the Saviors inflict. Do the comic readers have problems with this season so far?

I read the comics and this season is a big disappointment to me.  In the comics, the Negan storyline is better than the Governor's so I had a lot of hope for it but they've highlighted parts that didn't work in the comics (Negan's harem), failed to account for cast changes (Carl's age); made some creative choices that don't personally work for me (having Rick capitulate); jerked the audience around (fake deaths and cliffhangers); and lost what made Negan interesting (that he's smart and smart about people).

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Armchair Critic said:

Kirkman still doesn't understand that Negan on the show is not going over well with the audience, that poll they took about Negan versus Daryl was heavily in Daryl's favor and Kirkman acted like he couldn't believe we wouldn't think Negan was awesome.

But then JDM won a Critic's Choice Award for best guest actor. Seriously? So they'll probably keep him on even longer and shove him down our throats even more.

• Love 4

He won a Critic's Choice award for TWD? already? no way jose.

And Kirkman never gets it. He's way too much comic book man, he writes them and he kills them disposable, on paper. It doesn't translate to tv where we invest in them. And I think Darryl befuddles him even more because he didn't write Darryl, he isn't in control of Darryl's fate because it's not in the comics.

• Love 10
On 12/11/2016 at 10:37 PM, Armchair Critic said:

Kirkman still doesn't understand that Negan on the show is not going over well with the audience, that poll they took about Negan versus Daryl was heavily in Daryl's favor and Kirkman acted like he couldn't believe we wouldn't think Negan was awesome.

Honestly, in that case - I'd pick Negan. The question wasn't who do you like more, but who "would you rather?". Negan may be a boring asshole, but I ain't going anywhere near Daryl's stank ass balls. 

• Love 7

I wish the show would stop inviting Kirkman to the season finales. Someone always dies and Kirkman is utterly devoid of empathy. Austin Nichols lost his job, the emotional wound probably reopens a bit when you watch the show and see your character die and then have to talk about it. It is the cost of doing business with The Walking Dead, but it might be easier without Kirkman there. The man clearly does not give a crap about the actors or characters not named Negan.

• Love 6
13 hours ago, ghoulina said:

Honestly, in that case - I'd pick Negan. The question wasn't who do you like more, but who "would you rather?". Negan may be a boring asshole, but I ain't going anywhere near Daryl's stank ass balls. 

I though that the poll question made it perfectly clear that they understand that Negan is not working out like they hoped for the show.  They picked a question that no matter how lopsided the answer, it didn't mean they had to acknowledge the problem which means at least the person who writes the questions knows.

Maybe I'm the only one who watched the new episode of the Talking Dead?  Well, there wasn't anything really new and wow were the quiz questions random.  I usually do pretty well with the quizzes, but I guess I didn't care about the scenes they took the questions from because I didn't get any of the 3 correct.

I kind of liked the football player fan.  In fact, I liked him way more than some of the past guests who actively tried to take over the show and make it all about themselves.  He really seemed like a super fan and that he was just thrilled to be there.  It was a fun time last night.  

The sneak peek preview looks like something is really going to happen in the Kingdom.  We may be in for the episode in which Ezekial decides he does have a reason to go to war.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

The sneak peek preview looks like something is really going to happen in the Kingdom.  We may be in for the episode in which Ezekial decides he does have a reason to go to war.

I'm thinking the saviors are going to take out someone (hi Benjamin!) when they try to fetch Daryl.

I didn't see the person in Gabriel's car but it's clear from the interwebs a bunch of people did, so I think it's odd this wasn't discussed on TTD.

• Love 1

Ok Cooper Andrews is Totes Adorbs, I keep thinking he's Anderson coopers lovechild. He's been on many shows. He's a nerd on "halt and catch fire"  and he was on jason Momoas show "red road" and maybe even an episode of znation. Not diggin jadis

• Love 4