Type keyword(s) to search

Talking Dead: Where Chris Hardwick Got His Groove Back

• Start Topic

(edited)
2 hours ago, HighMaintenance said:

Totally Agree.  They could have done a better job of selecting clips and editing them together.  Hell, they had all freaking summer!

During Abe's montage all I could think of was how many shades of red does L'Oréal make?  Every clip they showed revealed a different haircolor, from vibrant red, to auburn to strawberry blond.  Continuity?  What's that?  

The short clip of behind the scenes special effects with Glen's prosthetic skull/eyeball made me chuckle because I was thinking to myself:  "BABY RUTH!"

I just didn't dig the way the seating was done.  Andrew Lincoln & Norman Reedus were GLUED to those first 2 chairs closest to Hardwick.  I guess we know who the big stars are now.  It just seemed awkward when they brought out Cudlitz and Steven Yuen and they ended up sitting several seats away while they were being "showcased".  

Sasha and Rosita apparently spent too much time at MAC's Star Trek lipstick counter.

Hardwick actually looks pretty ok with his hair "deflated" and sans bed head.

One final note, Hardwick: It never rains in California, But girls don't they warn ya, It pours, man it pours

I think they did the seating well. Abe and Glenn in the middle (middle of attention), Abe's two love interests together and sitting above but near him, Maggie next to Glenn, the two non cast members on the top row but kinda separate from the cast, and Neagan on the far end away from the cast as well. Only place to place Rick and Daryl were near the host.

Edited by Skyfall

I don't think they rehearsed this episode enough.  For no one to anticipate rain?  They should have involved a wedding planner - plan B would have be enacted.  The umbrellas were awful because if the person next to you chose to forego an umbrella, all of your umbrella rain poured right onto their head and lap.  You could see Sonequa/Christian and Ross figuring this out.

When Steven walked out and started hugging the cast, what dumbass decided it was time to flash to the sodden crowd for blanket-wrapped reaction when he reached Lauren?  So stupid.  And they took long shots of the stage during very emotional moments, when the viewers would want to see close ups.  So disappointing.  And next time, could they hire a mobile groomer to deal with Norman?  Would it kill him to do something with his hair?  And be sober?  He's always such an airhead, any added liquor isn't helping.

Loved watching Steven and Michael patting each other on the back and comforting each other.

I loved that the women took this seriously, but how sad that they prepped for the Oscars, and ended up sitting in the rain?  Loved Danai's look. 

Was Chandler unable to make it because of school?  Last I heard, he was still attending public high school in the county next to mine.  Love how grounded this kid seems.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, RedheadZombie said:

When Steven walked out and started hugging the cast, what dumbass decided it was time to flash to the sodden crowd for blanket-wrapped reaction when he reached Lauren?  So stupid.

They also showed Steven and Norman when they were talking about showing the Glenn montage, even though Steven was looking (off camera) at Lauren. 

We get it Chris. Daryl can do no wrong. You say it every time. For the non fans, it's getting tiresome rubbing it in our faces.  

The focus should have been entirely on Michael and Steven (with Lauren since she's a big part of his story) and Andrew. Everyone else should have been the last 20 minutes. I love Danai but the fact that she was on stage the whole time was silly. Same with Norman. 

• Love 6
19 hours ago, Bees52 said:

I don't remember Talking Dead feeling sooo funeral-like before when we lost favorite characters.

The episode with Scott Wilson and Lauren Cohan after Herschel died came close, but Kirkman was there to throw water on any sadness.

• Love 4

It's been mentioned a lot by others, but again, if they had taken out Abraham in the finale, he could have had a nice goodbye on TD at the end of the season.  Then Glenn would have been the shock death during the premiere, and they could have given him his due on TD.  And a much better montage. 

• Love 6
15 hours ago, deedee said:

The episode after Herschel died had Lauren Cohan so upset she was having trouble talking.

But it seemed so much more appropriate to have it in the small, living room like setting, and JUST focus on those actors. This felt like the damn Oscars and it was cold and distant and awkward and too many damn people on the stage. 

• Love 7
11 hours ago, peach said:

In fact, Glenn's montage was so bad, I found a better one on Youtube.  :*(

Now, see? THAT was really good. Told you guys some fan on Youtube could pull it out. This one actually had me crying. I'm really glad they showed the stuff with Hershel, because he played such an important role in who Glenn became. Also, I like the line they ended on - "Well, you found me" - fits nicely with Glenn's last line on the show. 

Thanks for sharing that, because I feel like I can properly grieve Glenn now. Glenn wasn't my favorite character, but he was one of the originals and I did adore him. I feel like the writers fucked this shit up so badly that he didn't get the send off he truly deserved. I wanted to be sadder about it than I was, if that makes any sense. Now I feel sad. 

• Love 11
36 minutes ago, ghoulina said:

Now, see? THAT was really good. Told you guys some fan on Youtube could pull it out. This one actually had me crying. I'm really glad they showed the stuff with Hershel, because he played such an important role in who Glenn became. Also, I like the line they ended on - "Well, you found me" - fits nicely with Glenn's last line on the show. 

Thanks for sharing that, because I feel like I can properly grieve Glenn now. Glenn wasn't my favorite character, but he was one of the originals and I did adore him. I feel like the writers fucked this shit up so badly that he didn't get the send off he truly deserved. I wanted to be sadder about it than I was, if that makes any sense. Now I feel sad. 

You said it perfectly. Glenn was one of my favorite, and I don't mind him getting his comic death. I do mind that his "storyline" last season was crap and that he was barely in the finale and his death episode, and I felt distant during the episode and relieved when it was over, and then everybody and their mother was on TTD and the montage sucked. The YouTube montage gave me the feels though. It's not that hard, show.

• Love 5
46 minutes ago, ghoulina said:

I wanted to be sadder about it than I was, if that makes any sense. Now I feel sad. 

Yes, I know what you mean.  They did not provide appropriate closure.  This video made me tear up and remember when this show was good.  Perhaps I'm grieving for both.  ha. 

This "leaving me hanging" feeling started back with the stupid dumpster thing, because I was like out of my chair with NOOOO when that happened, then they played fakeout games with that episode's Talking Dead.  Then left lingering, and THAT'S when I started looking for spoilers.  Turns out he's alive.  Okay.  Then they tease out another death that we know is the comic death, so it was "will they or won't they?" Then a cliffhanger.  Then another last minute fakeout, and then both deaths are rolled into a giant clusterF of misery, then followed by a crowded TD.  And as someone else said, they had all summer to create a good montage package for Steven.   BLARGH!  Just let us be properly sad for a minute!!!  Stop fucking up our rituals!

Wow, end rant.  lol 

• Love 7

I know what y'all mean about not mourning Glen's death. He was my favorite character from the start and I felt nothing when he died except disgust at the show for their "oh so awesome look what we did with this eyeball y'all" special effects.

Thanks for the vid Peach. It helped.

Edited by festivus
spelling. grr argh.
  • Love 5
On 10/24/2016 at 9:49 AM, callmebetty said:

As much as Kirkman can be a douche I did appreciate his fan boy glee discussing the picture of Glenn and Rick meeting for the first time on set. I can't imagine for a comic book creator to see your vision come to reality.

That was the only thing I've heard him say that I like. Good for him!

• Love 4
1 hour ago, festivus said:

Thanks for the vid Peach. It helped.

I thought the best part was how it highlighted Maggie talking to Herschel about "love one another" while juxtaposed to Glenn not killing Nicholas.  And Glenn bringing Tara and Maggie together even though she'd been with the Governor.  That aspect, and not just the love story.  

• Love 4
On October 24, 2016 at 6:19 AM, HighMaintenance said:

Sasha and Rosita apparently spent too much time at MAC's Star Trek lipstick counter.

Edited by Kenz
I messed up this post.

See above.  I think the ladies of the cast glammed themselves up to the extreme because they have to look so gritty on the show, but I think they look better sans makeup, especially the weird lipstick.

• Love 2

It really just depends on the woman. I think Lauren Cohan can pull of the Hollywood glam think tremendously well. She definitely looked better on TTD than she has in a long while on TWD. But Christian and Sonequa have amazing bone structure and really clear skin and I think they DO actually look better on the show, without all the makeup. 

• Love 1
On 10/23/2016 at 10:33 PM, Christi said:

I wouldnt say Carl exactly crushes scenes...he stares into space well...with his one eye

I would, I think the actor's great, especially for someone his age.

• Love 3
On 10/24/2016 at 9:49 AM, callmebetty said:

Man I didn't think of that but yes, why didn't they move down like Lauren and Danai kept doing. Michael and Steven each deserved a turn in the big boys seat when they were being featured. 

The episode felt like watching a snuff film. We've had violence on this show but not quite like this. It also may be beatings with bats are such a fear to me and I'm always sickened when it's depicted on screen. It just doesn't feel like the same show anymore.

As much as Kirkman can be a douche I did appreciate his fan boy glee discussing the picture of Glenn and Rick meeting for the first time on set. I can't imagine for a comic book creator to see your vision come to reality.

I liked that bit, too. I wasn't giving TD my full attention, when I finally watched it, but I saw that bit. I think Glenn has been my favourite character since he yelled, "not dead!" in Rick's face, and then said something about how the fall would kill them - bright side to that climb - (if they fell). I watched the first season last week. and got part of the way through season two, last weekend, but I don't think I want to watch up to the point where the others die. It left me missing T-Dog, too. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ByTor said:

I would, I think the actor's great, especially for someone his age.

I agree. Sometimes I think he's given shit to work with, because the writers aren't always great at writing for kids, teens, etc. But he has come a LONG way and I'm usually pretty impressed by him. 

• Love 4
18 minutes ago, ghoulina said:

I agree. Sometimes I think he's given shit to work with, because the writers aren't always great at writing for kids, teens, etc. But he has come a LONG way and I'm usually pretty impressed by him. 

Agreed.

And Sunday night, they pretty much all killed it. Everyone showed grief and shock differently and all within character. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, ghoulina said:

His scene with Michonne on the porch last season made me cry. 

But my favorite moment was perhaps when that guy was frisking him at Terminus and teasingly asked Carl if he deserved it (being frisked), and Carl's venomous "yes" in response.

Also, when he told Lizzy she was stupid.  lol

Edited by peach
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, rab01 said:

And Sunday night, they pretty much all killed it. Everyone showed grief and shock differently and all within character. 

They truly did. They saved the episode, IMO. The actors/characters are why I keep watching this show. 

• Love 3
On 10/23/2016 at 10:19 PM, Rosiejuliemom said:

Of course people start screaming when Norman speaks. My eyes are rolling too hard.

*Disclaimer* I like Norman. I just don't think Daryl is the be-all-end-all, riot-worthy, epicenter of the show. 

Norman is their cash cow.

For me, Daryl has become what Alice is to the RE franchise.

A non-Canon character that's taken story and development from CB ones.

Like Tyrese and Glenn.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, MrsRafaelBarba said:

Norman is their cash cow.

For me, Daryl has become what Alice is to the RE franchise.

The fans love Norman because Norman loves the fans.  He acts like a fan himself, and is very into watching the show, reacting on social media, promoting the show, etc.    Did you notice how he had to pause and raise his glass TO the fans who make it all possible or whatever? That was laying it on a little thick, but they loved it.  That's one of his jobs, I guess.  It works! 

• Love 2

Do the main cast members not want to be on there, anymore? They've only had newbies on for the last two weeks. I understood with tiger guy, but not the woman who played Sherry. 

Edited by Anela
  • Love 1
21 minutes ago, ghoulina said:

I think having the entire cast on for the premiere used up a lot of ability to have the main stars on in later episodes. 

You're probably right. All the lead cast was on except Melissa McBride, Lennie James, and Alanna Masterson, I think. This would be prime time for the cast to be filming other projects so for many it would be their one appearance on TTD this season.

• Love 2

I found the actress who plays Sherry to be really boring and not very charismatic. It kind of bugged me that she's been on, what, 2 episodes and she acts like she's been with the show for years. Not impressed.

She's one who's prettier on the show than she is IRL. 

• Love 7
20 minutes ago, jackjill89 said:

She's one who's prettier on the show than she is IRL. 

So much yes. She was a little dull, but I found her well spoken and it was obvious to me that she'd put a lot of thought into her character. But I will agree on her looks. I think she is so much prettier when she's more "natural" on the show. 

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Anela said:

Do the main cast members not want to be on there, anymore? They've only had newbies on for the last two weeks

Lennie and Melissa haven't done the show too often, have they? I feel like Lennie only once and Melissa hasnt been since The Grove I don't think, so King E makes sense for last week. Norman must be filming since he tends to be on for his episodes. The guy who plays Dwight was on at the end of last season so maybe the girl was all they could get. 

When you only have one main cast member in each TWD episode, it's slim pickings for TD. 

• Love 2

I would have been more interested in hearing from the guy who played Gordon, the escapee. His character made a sensible argument, took the CDC option and then got to reappear in zombie makeup. He might have had some interesting things to say. I watched less than ten minutes of Sherri telling me how cool her character is before deciding I did not care and bailing for my book.

• Love 3

I have never watched this. I'm probably in the minority in not caring what the actors have to say.  I may be totally off-center about this, but just the few seconds of previews I've seen with this nu-male looking twerp with the carefully cultivated, mandatory, perfectly-trimmed stubble made me decide "Never."

This is another reason I wish this show were on HBO or Showtime. Those shows presented themselves as they were and assumed their audiences had enough gray matter to figure out what was going on. If they couldn't, it was tough luck - no circuses, no action figures, no video games, no shrill in-depth analysis and all that suited me just fine.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, ghoulina said:

So much yes. She was a little dull, but I found her well spoken and it was obvious to me that she'd put a lot of thought into her character. But I will agree on her looks. I think she is so much prettier when she's more "natural" on the show. 

I only lasted about 15 minutes into TTD and the actress who played "Sherri" did give some interesting insight on how the actors don't even seem to know who their characters are (or even what show they're auditioning for) or what their motivations are.  She was a nice looking female, but apparently Negan thinks Sherri is "smokin' hawt"!   - Negan, she's aight, but I guess in the ZA, 7's become 10's.  /snark 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, morgankobi said:

Hate to break it to you, but Game of Thrones now has an after show as well. (And boy is it not good.) 

HBO has to do something with Bill Simmons's contract. Show cancelled, website not a big hit, and podcast network even worst. After The Thrones (which is much better than Talking Dead thank you very much) is at least something out of that deal, doesn't air after the episode, and actually treats the audience like the educated bunch they are.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, morgankobi said:

Hate to break it to you, but Game of Thrones now has an after show as well. (And boy is it not good.) 

is it on HBO? I'll never see it.

13 hours ago, HighMaintenance said:

but apparently Negan thinks Sherri is "smokin' hawt"!   - Negan, she's aight, but I guess in the ZA, 7's become 10's.  /snark 

Sweet! I'll be a 3!

• Love 5