Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E07: Crossed

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

I thought it was interesting that Mammy... oops, I mean Mommy Michonne didn't volunteer to stay with the kiddies. She was like, 'oh Rick, you stay here. I'll go'. But there was no way Rick was going to miss a potential bloodbath. Michonne looked bored as hell when Carl was schooling Father Gabriel.  Poor woman even tried to reach out to a brother, but just got shot down.  Maybe Father Gabriel didn't like being stuck with the kids either.

And where the hell did Rick and Daryl get to?

• Love 3

I usually don't mind the zombie gore, but Daryl's bowling ball trick with the walker head was just a laughably bad effect, imho. I felt like I was watching an '80s B movie.

How did the melted walkers get melted? Why were they so--ugh!--pink?

• Love 3

The acting hasn't gotten any better among the hospital crew and I'm having a hard time caring enough to try to figure what the story really is there.  It feels like I'm supposed to be seeing a contrast between them and Rick and Co. with all the callbacks to them all starting out as cops, but I can't tell if the poor acting is muddling it or if it's the writing.  Beth, zombie apocalypse nurse, bugged much less this episode.  Less is definitely more.

• Love 2

After all they've been through, I can't buy that Rick & Co automatically trusted the words from those two cops.  Nor can I believe the two cops who just encountered and fought with a group of strangers, even with Noah apparently with the group, right away gave up info about the hospital and Dawn.

I think this is exactly why they fell for Bob2's lies.   The female cop told them some of them had problems with Dawn and she'd want the dissenters gone before they moved against her.  Its likely some cops will have a problem with what is happening at Grady.  The gender dynamics make it more likely that the female cop was telling the truth.  But initial distrust took over.  So Bob's declaration that she was lying to save herself seemed believable.  I bought it until his name turned out to be Bob. 

• Love 3

I just think Pastor Gabriel is too stupid to live. Why not just walk out of the church instead of tearing up the floor boards? I doubt anyone would have stopped him. I get being upset about actual people being killed in his church, even if they were cannibals. No, wait, I don't. Dumbass! They would have eaten you.

I guess the guy is proof that God exists. There's no way this guy could have survived as long as he did without divine intervention.

This episode was reeallly quiet, which worries me. Quiet episodes only precede episodes where the feces hit the rotating oscillator.

And the Dawn I've seen wouldn't negotiate. She'd just give Camp Dinner Bell zombie Beth and Carol.

• Love 5

So, I'm confused about Dawn now. Are we supposed to hate her or what? I mean, she helped Beth for no reason other than that she showed her that she was strong? I don't get it. I thought their whole thing was capturing the weak. Most of Slabtown was of her slapping Beth and belittling her. So, why is Beth suddenly earning her respect? That just seemed to come out of nowhere. And those two cops were talking about Dawn as if she's so horrible. But Officer Bob was telling Rick that underneath it all, she's a good person. But seeing as how he knocked Sasha out at the end of the episode, maybe he was just trying to set them up? I just having trouble understanding what the deal is with Dawn.

Edited by kelnic86
  • Love 2

Beth has picked up some great nursing skills while at the hospital/asylum. Now she's hooking up IV's and administering drugs into said IVs. I hope Carol regains consciousness soon so she can defend herself in the upcoming shootout.

Nah, she still sucks. She was supposed to give Carol a 5mg epinephrine drip, but she gave her a saline drip and bolused her with enough epi to kill her. I hate when shows don't do even the basic research. The doc told her what to do -it irks me that I have to overlook that what she actually did could or should have killed Carol.

Edited by Pixel
  • Love 9

So, I'm confused about Dawn now. Are we supposed to hate her or what? I mean, she helped Beth for no reason other than that she showed her that she was strong? I don't get it. I thought their whole thing was capturing the weak. Most of Slabtown was of her slapping Beth and belittling her. So, why is Beth suddenly earning her respect? That just seemed to come out of nowhere. And those two cops were talking about Dawn as if she's so horrible. But Officer Bob was telling Rick that underneath it all, she's a good person. But seeing as how he knocked Sasha out at the end of the episode, maybe he was just trying to set them up. I just having trouble understanding what the deal is with Dawn.

It doesn't matter if Dawn is evil incarnate or not because the result will be the same.  If she's not an evil dictator, she'll never be able to come around to admitting that she could have taken a path where they weren't raping and abusing everyone they were 'saving'.  She'll kill anyone who tries to alter her world view because she's just not strong enough to deal with it and everything she does is someone else's fault.

• Love 6

I just think Pastor Gabriel is too stupid to live. Why not just walk out of the church instead of tearing up the floor boards? I doubt anyone would have stopped him.

Yeah, I must have missed the part where it was shown that he was being held against his will. ?

Edited by SoSueMe
  • Love 5

I'm still finding myself surprised at Michonne and Carl's personality change.  Its just weird that they have patience with Gabriel's inability to get with the ZA program.  But what I like is that its not really out of character.  They earned it with the journey to come back together after the prison fell.

They keep dropping all these little moments that emphasize that Rick, Daryl, Michonne; and Carl all shifted their attitudes in a way that complimented each other and don't leave they group without something they need.

Edited by ParadoxLost
  • Love 5

What have they done to Daryl?? Please don't make him the new voice of morality.

The priest, the walking comics, and Tyrese just need to go.

Next week's episode better be Damn good after sitting through the last few episodes. Michonne left to babysit? All the crap we had to endure to learn about Abraham? A rapetacular hospital?

How could something that started out so unbelievably awesome this season turn to such shit?

Edited by kj4ever
  • Love 6

So, I'm confused about Dawn now. Are we supposed to hate her or what? I mean, she helped Beth for no reason other than that she showed her that she was strong? I don't get it. I thought their whole thing was capturing the weak. Most of Slabtown was of her slapping Beth and belittling her. So, why is Beth suddenly earning her respect? That just seemed to come out of nowhere. And those two cops were talking about Dawn as if she's so horrible. But Officer Bob was telling Rick that underneath it all, she's a good person. But seeing as how he knocked Sasha out at the end of the episode, maybe he was just trying to set them up? I just having trouble understanding what the deal is with Dawn.

I don't think Dawn is supposed to be bad. I think she's supposed to be doing the best that she can. She makes not so great decisions because it's the only way she can see to keep the place running. And at first she thought Beth was pathetic and didn't respect her, but now she sees the strength in her because not only did she save herself from the rapey cop, but she managed to almost escape.

Now, the cops can see that she is weak (she totally is), so they are planning a coup. Which I guess it's supposed to be a bad thing because they will be way worse than her. Unlike her, I think the other cops like the power they have and will become real dictators. I'm not sure that's the case with Dawn, I think she's supposed to hate what she does, but I can't really tell because IMO the actress isn't that expressive.

Didn't they nail the front door shut and board the windows? Maybe that's why Gabe had to sneak out. I dunno, he's really strange...

Frankly, I didn’t see the point in that. The guy had spent more than a year hidden there silently and he was fine. If anything, all the spike things outside just advertised their whereabouts to people, and good luck opening those doors to their friends if they come in running in some emergency. I know the point, from the writing POV, was to freak Gabriel out by further fucking up his church, but it didn't make too much sense to me.

• Love 7

Now that I think about it, its strange that Beth hasn't really been punished for the escape attempt.  I guess that puts another point in the Dawn is conflicted but the actress isn't quite getting that across column.

Dawn beat her up pretty badly and left her with another big facial scar -- it may or may not be all of the punishment but I think it counts.

Edited by apollonia666
  • Love 2

How is it that they're getting dumber?  Who the hell takes Tyrese on a killing mission, and then lets him come up with the plan?  And how are we at a point where they do whatever they can not to kill the dangerous people, but let them live to come after them again, like, say, the Governor or Gareth.  And why is Daryl on board that train?  And who decides that taking out a zombie that's been lying in the street for a year, for your ENEMY, is a good plan during a raid to save your group members?  Maybe take care of that on the way out of town.  Or never, wtf cares?

I have never cared one iota what happens to Abraham, so color me not moved when he decides...to drink...the water.  ABRAHAM WANTS TO LIVE!  Omg, who cares???

Rick was the only good part, and that was a scant part of the episode. Also, I'll give Maggie a shout out for threatening to put down Abraham.  There have been times this show has made me mad, but now I just feel indifference. 

Edited by peach
  • Love 10

Now that I think about it, its strange that Beth hasn't really been punished for the escape attempt.  I guess that puts another point in the Dawn is conflicted but the actress isn't quite getting that across column.

Dawn beat her up pretty badly and left her with another big facial scar -- it may or may not be all of the punishment but I think it counts.

I did wonder about the punishment, but the thing that made the least sense to me was that they let her return to her duties, therefore letting her just come and go as if nothing happened. How can they trust that she won't do something else? The stupidity epidemic affected way too many people in this episode.

• Love 1

How is it that they're getting dumber?  Who the hell takes Tyrese on a killing mission, and then lets him come up with the plan?  And how are we at a point where they do whatever they can not to kill the dangerous people, but let them live to come after them again, like, say, the Governor or Gareth.  And why is Daryl on board that train?  And who decides that taking out a zombie that's been lying in the street for a year, for your ENEMY, is a good plan during a raid to save your group members?  Maybe take care of that on the way out of town.  Or never, wtf cares?

I agree with everything except the Sasha thing. I understood that taking out that walker was about her closure with Bob, about doing for someone what she couldn’t do for Bob. The problem for me was the HOW. Leave the guard tied to the column. Dont turn your back on him. Call Tyrese to come help out. Wasn’t he there? There were so many things she could have done to not get played.

• Love 6

Why would you ever take a conscientious objector-type like Tyreese on a mission where you are planning to kill people. Did the whole Martin incident teach them nothing? Meanwhile, you leave Michonne (aka "the weapon with a weapon") back at the church to watch the kids? Okay.

Exactly! The Michonne who led them into Woodbury back when she nor they trusted each other yet was what was needed. Why could Tyreese not stay with the kids? He's bonded with Judith, he and Gabriel could make s'mores and talk about unicorns and rainbows, and Carl could protect them if there was trouble.

Instead, Tyreese shoots down Rick's effective plan, by proposing one with moving parts that include relying upon Dawn's sanity (questionable) and the officers' and her loyalty (dubious), and DARYL concurs! Were these people NOT around when Rick's sensible plan to kill the Termites was similarly shot down, resulting in Bob's death? I'm looking at YOU, Sasha! Also, wheere did Sasha's brain go? Hostage cop had plenty of time to put his zombie freind out of his misery (if it really exists) prior to their arrival. I kinda felt she deserved the head butt for being so gullible.

Dawn's playing Beth, of course.Not really sure how, but I expect some face slapping next episode.

Edited by NorthstarATL
  • Love 10

I know! I was worried Daryl would get his fingers chomped off. And then he'll have to chop off his own hand like his dearly departed brother.

Glad I'm nowhere near the only one rooting for Father Pee-pants to get eaten.

• Love 3

Exactly! The Michonne who led them into Woodbury back when she nor they trusted each other yet was what was needed. Why could Tyreese not stay with the kids? He's bonded with Judith, he and Gabriel could make s'mores and talk about unicorns and rainbows, and Carl could protect them if there was trouble.

I can't even wrap my mind around the hysteria that would ensue if Tyreese and Gabriel were left to feed each other's mental problems.

• Love 8

I don't think Dawn is supposed to be bad. I think she's supposed to be doing the best that she can. She makes not so great decisions because it's the only way she can see to keep the place running. And at first she thought Beth was pathetic and didn't respect her, but now she sees the strength in her because not only did she save herself from the rapey cop, but she managed to almost escape.

Now, the cops can see that she is weak (she totally is), so they are planning a coup. Which I guess it's supposed to be a bad thing because they will be way worse than her. Unlike her, I think the other cops like the power they have and will become real dictators. I'm not sure that's the case with Dawn, I think she's supposed to hate what she does, but I can't really tell because IMO the actress isn't that expressive.

This makes a lot of sense. Though, I am really giving that female cop the stink eye now if she's on Rapey Cops side. Anyway, I do get the feeling that Dawn is conflicted. I wonder why the other cops are even listening to her to begin with if she is such a weak leader. If the other cops are planning a coup, I can see the negotiating being the tipping point that'll finally make them take control away from Dawn.

That doctor told Beth not to trust her, though. Maybe she is setting her up. But for what, I have no idea. 

I did wonder about the punishment, but the thing that made the least sense to me was that they let her return to her duties, therefore letting her just come and go as if nothing happened. How can they trust that she won't do something else? The stupidity epidemic affected way too many people in this episode.

Yes. I agree with this. After everything that she did to try to escape, I found it really odd that they're letting her walk freely around the hospital. 

Edited by kelnic86

So did anyone get a clue to the timeline of the apocalypse from this episode.  It looked like they had a FEMA trailer delivered at some point.  I presume that means there was a period of time where they were trying to stop the spread.

• Love 1

I was glad to see all of the groups in one episode, but I was still a little bored for some reason. I assume Father Gabriel is actually going somewhere, as in meeting someone. Wandering about with no weapon of any kind and limping seems really stupid even for him. I can't see the group wanting to stay in the church for long, so they went to an awful lot of trouble. The church is dark, no beds and they chopped up most of the pews. They also have to leave for supplies and then I also wonder where they would go to the bathroom.

I actually thought Tyresse's plan wasn't that bad, because otherwise the group has to walk into a hospital not knowing where anything or anyone is. Of course, I didn't believe the new Bob for a minute and was very surprised Rick and Sasha didn't just punch him and tell them to shut up.

I hope our group can somehow take over the hospital. Lots of room to spread out, some food, water and medicine if needed and sunlight for little Judith. Of course they can't stay anywhere forever, but the church is too claustrophobic for me.

• Love 1

Closed captioning had him saying hello. I was skeptical but Maggie was running her mouth so much I figured he must be alive if she can be in his presence and continue yammering. We'll see next episode.

I think if there was an idea of her in danger they may have her scream give some sort of cliffhanger

I hope our group can somehow take over the hospital. Lots of room to spread out, some food, water and medicine if needed and sunlight for little Judith. Of course they can't stay anywhere forever, but the church is too claustrophobic for me.

I tend to think they are going to broker some kind of peace after taking out the rapey ones.  I just can't see them settling into the hospital or taking anyone from the hospital with them given that they know how many bad apples there are in this group and that the majority of the rest turn a blind eye to the abuses.  Even one of the ones Noah said is good one attacked Sasha.  At the same time, there are enough innocents that Rick can't raze the building.

I assume Father Gabriel is actually going somewhere, as in meeting someone. Wandering about with no weapon of any kind and limping seems really stupid even for him.

In the sneak peek shown on Talking Dead,

Fr. Gabriel goes to the Terminus campsite, where he finds Gareth's mom's bible and Bob's maggotty leg. Hopefully that'll snap him out of his Lady Macbeth case of the vapours, and send him limping back to Michonne & Carl for protection and self-defense training.

Hated the music this episode. Way too Grizzly Man. I kept expecting to see the zombie bear from this week's Z Nation.

Edited by editorgrrl
  • Love 3

Pretty much bored with this episode.  Just felt like a big set-up for the mid-season finale, but in order to get there, it had to make everyone stupid.  Daryl and Rick go with Tyreese's "Lets negotiate with the crazies!" route, even after they try to screw them over. Believe that one cop, just because he acts "nice."  And, then Sasha allows herself to be taken out, because, hey, his name is Bob. Who would trust Bob, right?  Sigh...

Meanwhile, I have no idea what they are doing with Gabriel.  I like Seth Gillam, but if this is just another case of a guy having to learn that this world blows, then I'm not looking forward to it.  And, yet, I have a feeling he's going to be one of those characters who somehow magically survives, while more competent people die.

Man, am I bored with Dawn and crew.  They're almost making me miss The Governor.  Certainly making me miss Creepy Gareth. And Merle.

Best part was easily the Glen/Tara/Rosita stuff.  That trio is fun, and I'm glad we got more background on Rosita.  The character has really improved ever since they moved past her being just background eye-candy.  The stuff with Maggie/Abraham was a bit slow, but at least Maggie got to do more here, then almost the entire season so far.

• Love 3

Meanwhile, you leave Michonne (aka "the weapon with a weapon") back at the church to watch the kids? Okay.

That part I had no problem with. If I'm Rick, I want either Michonne or Darryl back with my kids to kill the hell out of anything that threatens them, and in this situation with the potential for a firefight I think Darryl's the better of the two to take on the mission. Tyreese may be great at reassuring Judith and keeping her from crying, but if someone wants to use her as a bouillon cube I want a babysitter who'll lop their heads off first and save the crisis of conscience until afterwards.

• Love 21

Who decided that when someone is going to have a fake paroxysm falling to the ground, the appropriate bribe is a soft crushable fruit like strawberries? For some reason that bothered me more than anything else implausible in this otherwise rather waste of an hour. ..

• Love 9

That part I had no problem with. If I'm Rick, I want either Michonne or Darryl back with my kids to kill the hell out of anything that threatens them, and in this situation with the potential for a firefight I think Darryl's the better of the two to take on the mission. Tyreese may be great at reassuring Judith and keeping her from crying, but if someone wants to use her as a bouillon cube I want a babysitter who'll lop their heads off first and save the crisis of conscience until afterwards.

And I think it's about more than babysitting them until he gets back.  It's about the fact that he might NEVER come back. 

• Love 17

I have a hard time with Gabriel because the Joker comes out in his acting style.  So I keep associating his unravelling in the ZA to him being crazypants instead of trying to keep faith in a world of despair.  And not just crazypants due to the ZA but Batman super-villain escaped from Arkham Asylum  and in disguise as a preacher until the ZA pushed him over the edge.  There is a consistent thread of maniacal laughter and giddiness in his acting since his first episode.

He'll probably be dead from tetanus before that happens, though.

• Love 8

Out, out damn spot, take it easy Father Gabriel. And by the way where the hell did he think he was running to after tunneling out of the church.

It doesn't matter how tough she tries to talk or act i just don't buy Beth as a badass. Stop trying to make us viewers believe all of a sudden Darryl and the lady cop others think she is strong and tough, please.

This episode was definitely filler, hope something good happens in the mid season finale.

I agree about making Beth a badass. I've gotten past my desire to have her die, and am really wishing they'd make her, say, the healer of the group. I've said it before and I'll say it again: I don't think everyone needs to be a badass. If they are to actually go beyond blindly staggering around in circles killing walkers they will need smart people like Eugene (they keep showing us things like how he knew how to make a water filter or a battery, so I believe he is smart, cure or no), and they'll need someone to help when there is sickness. Where would they have been without Herschel when the Great Swine Virus came along?

I don't care how much they show us that Beth is suddenly an ace marksman and tell us she's 'tough' and can kill with the best of them--why can't she stay the way she is, and learn a skill that enhances the group? Maybe she learned some things helping her father, the vet, and is learning some more in the hospital. I always wonder why they don't grab a book or two when they can. Let her keep learning to heal and make that her contribution. Don't make everyone a clone of Daryl or Michonne.

• Love 13

Well this didn't feel like a complete waste of time at least. We saw Beth at least and she did stuff. Plus Sasha did stuff. Im cutting her some slack on the losing the prisoner .Afterall she wouldn't know he was an evil hydra guy like I would. However he was totally obvious about trying to get out of his ties so there isnt much slack there.

Its possible it was just a holdover from another discussion where I got irritated about token LGBT characters but Tara bugged. She just seems really pointless she came off as younger than Carl tonight. Why not let Glenn be funny instead? Stevev Yeun is so much better at it anyway. I mean we have Father PeePee Pants as a token newb and at least his story has a thematic payoff. I just don't see the point of Tara. Especially since there are so many characters struggling for screentime.

Edited by Emily Thrace
  • Love 1

Nah, she still sucks. She was supposed to give Carol a 5mg epinephrine drip, but she gave her a saline drip and bolused her with enough epi to kill her. I hate when shows don't do even the basic research. The doc told her what to do -it irks me that I have to overlook that what she actually did could or should have killed Carol.

Thank you!  All I could think is Carol is dead, Beth killed her, and she's hopped up on epinephrine so she's going to be an energetic zombie.  She'll be like something out of a cartoon, zipping around the hospital trying to bite people.  

• Love 7

I am so glad someone else noticed that. I kept asking out loud 'she said drip, didn't she? She basically just shot the entire syringe-full at her all at once. If that's like taking an epi-pen I'd imagine Carol might have jumped right out if the bed!

At first, before I saw they'd left the IV port (or whatever it's called) in Carol's arm, I thought they were going to show Beth starting an IV. I yelled 'no way', and my roommate responded that surely the doctor could have been training Beth on starting IV lines. Those of you in the profession correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't that take a long time to learn? Beth's been there a few days. I know it didn't wind up happening, but could she learn it in a few days? Also, would epinephrine actually lower Carol's blood pressure, like the doctor said? Seems like it'd have the opposite effect.

To those wondering why the walkers in the street looked like they looked, that was this week's 'Thing You Had to Watch The Talking Dead to See Explained'.

Was I imagining things, or did I catch a certain glance between Glenn and Rosita? I'd love to see a love triangle in the ZA.

I knew that cop was just fucking with Sasha but I still felt bad for her to wake up, knowing she'd been played.

Have you really forgotten the nightmare that was Shane/Lori/Rick so soon? If I never see another love triangle in the ZA as done by this show it'll be too soon! Edited by BrokenRemote
  • Love 4

A not very interesting episode. They're dragging this hospital thing out waaay too long. Dawn is a moron & a terrible leader, Abraham & Eugene should just go off into the sunset together & die somewhere, I keep waiting for the priest to die because between Tyreese, Noah, & him, that's 3 black men which means one has to go, & they need to get over this whole separate locations & nothing happening storyline. 

• Love 3

Thank you! All I could think is Carol is dead, Beth killed her, and she's hopped up on epinephrine so she's going to be an energetic zombie. She'll be like something out of a cartoon, zipping around the hospital trying to bite people.

I actually thought she might be trying to get Carol to wake up quicker. Or whatever was leftover in the drug cabinet was a diluted form of epi. Like it was what you use for anaphalaxis rather than a heart attack. Or most likely tptb didn't want to risk MMB having an embolism by having EK hook up an actual iv drip and its easier to hide the meds dripping out the side that way.

No one has mentioned WHY are the RapeCrew even wasting resources looking for or trying to get Noah back? I understand Dawn has this whole "pay for your stay" thing, but seems like wasting people, gas and possibly bullets to get back a kid you consider too weak to survive on the outside? Are you scared he's going to call the cops on you? Do they think he's got connections on the outside? He said he'd been there a year. Cut you losses RapeCrew.

Sasha, I don't feel bad. You played dumb, you won a dumb prize. I kept. Yelling at her to Check Behind You Fool!!

Could someone from Rape Cross Regional Medical center drive by and scoop up Father Pee Pants? He'd fit in great as a ward of that crew.

• Love 10

Or most likely tptb didn't want to risk MMB having an embolism by having EK hook up an actual iv drip and its easier to hide the meds dripping out the side that way.

Do you mean Carol?  Because I'm pretty sure they have better ways of making it look like someone has a drip and hiding it from an audience, rather than making a character (Beth) look like a freaking dumbass who can't do anything right . . . hell, you can do it on stage in community theatre with zero budget, I would think that someone at TWD should have been paying more attention to the script maybe.

• Love 4