Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, BetyBee said:

My sister passed away last night, surrounded by family. Now I face the first day ever of life without my wonderful, big sister. 💔

I am so very sorry! You have our support and comfort during this time. 

• Love 12

I'm so sorry for your loss @BetyBee.

Besides watching for updates on Josh's case here, I am also following the Kristin Smart case in CA.  She was a college student at Cal Poly who disappeared in 1996.  It so happens the family lived around the corner from my old house, and I know her mother because we taught in the same school district.  Anyway, I just read that the judge recently threw out some "unusual requests" from the defense, and, after a long hearing (many weeks),  the case is going to trial.  Both the guy they suspect and his father are being charged.  Apparently, his dad hid her body under his deck or in his yard somewhere.  The parents just want their daughter's body back.  This will be interesting to see if they plead, or go to trial.  This has been going on for so long (since 1996), I really hope her family can finally get some closure.

I certainly hope Josh's case doesn't go on and on--especially for Mrs. Rehber's sake.

• Love 7

BetyBee, I’m so sorry about the loss of your sister.  Please accept my condolences.  Sending you wishes for comfort and prayers for your pain.  I saw this video and liked the song.  I thought I’d share.

• Love 6

It’s Sunday so here’s what I’m grateful for. I went out to buy some thongs. I have slacks that would look bad with a pantyline. I found this pack of three all cotton ones, but they didn’t have a price. I didn’t think they could be too much so I took them to the register with a few other items. Imagine my surprise when they rang up for 53 cents! They are comfortable. Wow. I wish they had more. 

• Love 11

@Mindthinkr - I think you win at bargain-buying for the day. Nice find! And here I thought I'd scored a deal with my six-dollar 40 pound bag of pine pellets that I bought today at Tractor Supply. 🤣 (Hope this isn't TMI. They are very useful for toilet purposes when one is car camping. If you are curious, they're discussed in this video starting at about 10:30. There are biogels and the like that serve the purpose, but they are costly, and cat litter is useful, but I think these pellets are going to be the real deal. And, forty pounds for six dollars. Yay.)

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
On 10/2/2021 at 4:38 AM, BetyBee said:

My sister passed away last night, surrounded by family. Now I face the first day ever of life without my wonderful, big sister. 💔

@BetyBee, I'm so sorry. You're in my thoughts tonight.

• Love 8
38 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

I took some days off from work to celebrate my birthday- this year has been hard for all of us in various ways but I am happy to be alive, and able to spend the day with my favorite person (my Mom).

I realized when we went to bed last night we didn’t get a photo yesterday but that’s ok. Saturday I had dinner with a few friends and got flowers/gift cards and too much cheesecake. 

Today I’m having brunch with a friend anc going to do some shopping- I want a Halloween throw blanket. 

I like being 36 so far. 🤩

I share photos of Cosmo in the pets thread but I wanted to show you guys that he is ready for our favorite month. 

FC1E0AA5-62A4-405C-9B57-8A5A8DBEFDA5.jpeg

Cosmo is adorable.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

I took some days off from work to celebrate my birthday- this year has been hard for all of us in various ways but I am happy to be alive, and able to spend the day with my favorite person (my Mom).

I realized when we went to bed last night we didn’t get a photo yesterday but that’s ok. Saturday I had dinner with a few friends and got flowers/gift cards and too much cheesecake. 

Today I’m having brunch with a friend anc going to do some shopping- I want a Halloween throw blanket. 

I share photos of Cosmo in the pets thread but I wanted to show you guys that he is ready for our favorite month. 

Happy Birthday!  And thanks for a picture of sweet Cosmo!

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Today I’m having brunch with a friend and going to do some shopping- I want a Halloween throw blanket. 

That’s the face of a dog living his best life ❤️

• Love 15
2 hours ago, iwantcookies said:

Is Twitter working for anyone? It seems Facebook, Instagram are down. Twitter is down for me too

From Twitter rn, which is still working for me (knock on wood!)😁

I thought it was my Wi-Fi🙄

20211004_152907.jpg

• Useful 2
  • Love 4

Just saw this bumper sticker on a minivan in the Costco parking lot. Thought about the Duggars, Bateses, Rodruigii, etc.  

PSX_20211004_152456.jpg

Edited by Jeeves
Plurals are haaard
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 20

Looking for your advice! I had a very small heart attack in 2014 and because of that I now have to take a low-dose aspirin every day. And because of that, I have developed what looks like bruises on my arms. Big ugly sometimes bloody bruises, because just turning over in bed at night sometimes causes the bruised skin to slough off, so I end up with a bloody sheet or pillowcase. Is there any way to alleviate this condition? 

On a lighter note, did you know it's only a 4 hour flight to the Azores from Boston? Five friends went a few years back, and we loved it. Great climate, black sand beaches, wonderful food, fine people, nine beautiful islands. I'm hoping to go again, or maybe go to Madeira this time? 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
5 minutes ago, Porkchop said:

Looking for your advice! I had a very small heart attack in 2014 and because of that I now have to take a low-dose aspirin every day. And because of that, I have developed what looks like bruises on my arms. Big ugly sometimes bloody bruises, because just turning over in bed at night sometimes causes the bruised skin to slough off, so I end up with a bloody sheet or pillowcase. Is there any way to alleviate this condition? 

On a lighter note, did you know it's only a 4 hour flight to the Azores from Boston? Five friends went a few years back, and we loved it. Great climate, black sand beaches, wonderful food, fine people, nine beautiful islands. I'm hoping to go again, or maybe go to Madeira this time? 

I know a few people who complain about the bruising and marks on their arms. When going out they always don long sleeves. Your Heath is more important than vanity. Take what your MD prescribes. I hope this didn’t come off as mean, but we’d hate to lose you over something as silly as your not wanting to take the low dose aspirin. Some people have to take blood thinners. It has much more of an effect. Please do what your Dr recommends lest something happen and you’d have to take stronger drugs. 
   A trip to the Azores sounds wonderful and I’m surprised it’s such a short flight time. 

• Love 3

@Porkchop:  I totally agree with @Mindthinkr.  Your health is more important than vanity, and we’d hate to lose you.

I take Eliquis for my afib.  It has caused me to bruise also, but I don’t have the skin sloughing off.  I do have to be careful when do get a cut and use antibiotic ointment right away.

It is annoying, but when weighed against a heart attack or stroke, I can live with it.

You may want to talk to your doctor on your next visit.  Maybe there is another way to treat you.

• Love 7
51 minutes ago, Porkchop said:

Tell your Dr. your problem when you see him/ her. Maybe you can take the aspirin every other day but please do not change anything till you talk with your Dr.

Is anyone else having internet problems? I know Facebook was down today and I don't know if my internet problems are widespread or just my carrier. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Porkchop said:

I’d consult your cardiologist. Let them know what’s been happening.
Sometimes the benefits outweigh the risks, and sometimes they don’t.

• Love 2

I have a question for the librarians here:  Can you just walk into a library and donate a book?  My brother would like to donate a copy of his books, and he does have the special library number (I don't know what it is called).  He wants to gift the books to them, but doesn't know if there is a special procedure he need to follow.  Thanks.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, CalicoKitty said:

I have a question for the librarians here:  Can you just walk into a library and donate a book?  My brother would like to donate a copy of his books, and he does have the special library number (I don't know what it is called).  He wants to gift the books to them, but doesn't know if there is a special procedure he need to follow.  Thanks.

My suggestion would be to call and ask them what their policy is on donating a book to add to the collection. (But he'll want to specify that part because some of them, like mine, also may accept donations for resale.) My library makes an effort to add local authors, but the person who handles our cataloging for the system we belong to won't add some books that are self-published but will add others. I think it might be dependent on whether it has an ISBN, but I don't actually know since it's not part of anything I do. But someone at his library will certainly know what their policies are!

In normal non-pandemic times, we also like doing programming with local authors, and it might be something they'd be open to in the future for him if he asks. 

• Love 5
1 minute ago, Zella said:

My suggestion would be to call and ask them what their policy is on donating a book to add to the collection. (But he'll want to specify that part because some of them, like mine, also may accept donations for resale.) My library makes an effort to add local authors, but the person who handles our cataloging for the system we belong to won't add some books that are self-published but will add others. I think it might be dependent on whether it has an ISBN, but I don't actually know since it's not part of anything I do. But someone at his library will certainly know what their policies are!

In normal non-pandemic times, we also like doing programming with local authors, and it might be something they'd be open to in the future for him if he asks. 

Thanks @Zella.  He does have an ISBN number, and whatever number is needed for libraries.  I'll tell him what you suggested.

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, CalicoKitty said:

Thanks @Zella.  He does have an ISBN number, and whatever number is needed for libraries.  I'll tell him what you suggested.

Good deal! I really should ask what dictates what is added to ours. If our cataloguer is in a good mood tomorrow, I'll try to ask her. LOL 

• Love 4