Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

Sold my condo and am moving out today. I haven’t moved in about a decade… I’m amazed at the fortitude of the people who manage to do this every year or so. (And already kind of dreading moving again in a year or so… I’m moving into a rental due to the crazy housing market but would like to own again soon.) 

• Love 19

We went to the Fox last night to see Hamilton.  For the second time.  All arranged by sweet son. First time he was with us and we all enjoyed it enormously.  This time just the three of us, an empty seat.  I forgot the son is killed and his mother grieves across his dying body.  Well, too much for me, couldn't help sobbing quietly.  Wondering if people behind me were thinking "its just a play".  Also, while he was sick he kept looking for better seats for our series and he moved us to the perfect spot.  We are missing our "manager".  His birthday is the 19th.  

3 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

We went to the Fox last night to see Hamilton.  For the second time.  All arranged by sweet son. First time he was with us and we all enjoyed it enormously.  This time just the three of us, an empty seat.  I forgot the son is killed and his mother grieves across his dying body.  Well, too much for me, couldn't help sobbing quietly.  Wondering if people behind me were thinking "its just a play".  Also, while he was sick he kept looking for better seats for our series and he moved us to the perfect spot.  We are missing our "manager".  His birthday is the 19th.  

Your son would be so happy to know that you're getting out and trying to enjoy life again.  I sobbed my eyes out when Philip died in Hamilton, I'm sure your neighbors were too busy wiping away their own tears to notice yours.  I am also a firm believe that sweet son was there, he's always there, keeping an eye on you.

• Love 19
On 9/11/2021 at 9:57 AM, CouchTater said:

I thought I was the only one who moaned and screamed with unpleasant tasks, such as killing huge bugs!

Glad your critter was well and truly dead!  🙂

I'd rather find out it was faking it, and not only because then it could get its own self out of there (I don't mind live critters, but will NOT deal with a dead one if I can possibly avoid it - I've had the neighbors come over to dispose of a drowned mouse in a bucket while Mr Jyn was away). While I'll admit that their tail ends are kinda creepy, I think their front ends are actually cute - even with all those sharp little, pointy teeth. And they do eat ticks and whatnot like nobody's business, so they are worth having around. 

There was one which used to come visit on our back deck on a regular basis, mooching the cat food we left out there for our semi-feral kitty, PorchCat, but I haven't seen it around since spring, and kinda miss it.

Mr Jyn tells of when he was two or three, there was apparently one which used to hang out on a tree outside his bedroom, and he desperately wanted his own "Teddy in a tree". His parents eventually worked out what he was asking for, and managed to find him a stuffed toy opossum, which was one of his favorite toys for years.

• Love 16
5 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

My son and daughter in law were there also. She said that it was packed which made her a little uneasy,but everyone was masked. Glad you got a chance to do this even if it was painful at times. I hope it brought you some good memories and it seems like a perfect tribute to Sweet Son.

• Love 12
7 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

While I'll admit that their tail ends are kinda creepy, I think their front ends are actually cute - even with all those sharp little, pointy teeth. And they do eat ticks and whatnot like nobody's business, so they are worth having around. 

There was one which used to come visit on our back deck on a regular basis, mooching the cat food we left out there for our semi-feral kitty, PorchCat, but I haven't seen it around since spring, and kinda miss it.

Mr Jyn tells of when he was two or three, there was apparently one which used to hang out on a tree outside his bedroom, and he desperately wanted his own "Teddy in a tree". His parents eventually worked out what he was asking for, and managed to find him a stuffed toy opossum, which was one of his favorite toys for years.

Exactly--opossums are a key player in keeping things in balance. I miss Petunia, the possum that visited us too. And I love the designation "teddy in a tree."

@lookeyloo I have nothing profound to offer, just that I'm holding you in my heart. I have been feeling odd lately about the fact that life has just moved on without my dad in it. Take care.

• Love 10

@lookeyloo, my husband just saw online that tonight's performance of Hamilton at the Fox was canceled.  Something about results of Covid tests not coming back on time. People stood in line for 45 minutes in the rain before being told about the cancelation.  They will be given tickets for next week.  So glad that your family and my son and his wife got to see it last night without that complication. 

• Love 9

I know your sweet son would be so happy that you were able to see Hamilton and remember the wonderful time you saw it together. I can’t imagine how difficult the sad scene about Hamilton’s son was to watch. That part of the play breaks my heart. (I’ve actually only seen the movie on Disney+) Sending hugs and consolation to you, @lookeyloo

• Love 12
16 hours ago, Gweilo said:

You're totally listening to You're Wrong About!

I’m listening to the OJ series right now, too!  I skipped it for so long, but finally decided to dig in. So informative!!  

• Useful 3
  • Love 2

@lookeyloo  - thanks for telling us about your night out at Hamilton. I hit the "sad" reaction emoticon but I wish we had a more nuanced option. Bittersweet? 

I watched all four episodes of the new Amazon Prime documentary, LuLaRich, this afternoon. I thought it was very well done. To my surprise I didn't use the FF key at all, and I can be a tough customer when streaming video. Start to bore me and we're DONE.  I also got a pedicure today, and started the day with an 8:30 am visit to our Zoo. I love it; I'm a member so we can get in at 8:30 before it opens to the public at 10. It's cooler, the animals are more active, and it's not crowded. I generally get in 4,000 or more steps on each visit, and I've been getting in at least two of those a week lately. 

I've been fortunate to not become ill or suffer any terrible personal losses over the past 18 months but I swear, this pandemic has taken some kind of toll on pretty much everyone I know. And I don't think it's whiney to say that. I'm working to elevate my mood and to regain some physical stamina. And I'm doing what I can to deal with the losses I have experienced during these times; not catastrophic but losses nevertheless. I'm aiming for that sweet spot between denial and wallowing, if ya know what I mean. 

• Love 19
On 9/15/2021 at 8:01 AM, lookeyloo said:

I am so glad that Sweet Son was able to do that for you. Your tears are a symbol of how deeply he was loved. 

be gentle with yourself. 

@awaken & @Gweilo I love “You’re Wrong About” TOO!

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Jeeves said:

@lookeyloo  - thanks for telling us about your night out at Hamilton. I hit the "sad" reaction emoticon but I wish we had a more nuanced option. Bittersweet? 

I watched all four episodes of the new Amazon Prime documentary, LuLaRich, this afternoon. I thought it was very well done. To my surprise I didn't use the FF key at all, and I can be a tough customer when streaming video. Start to bore me and we're DONE.  I also got a pedicure today, and started the day with an 8:30 am visit to our Zoo. I love it; I'm a member so we can get in at 8:30 before it opens to the public at 10. It's cooler, the animals are more active, and it's not crowded. I generally get in 4,000 or more steps on each visit, and I've been getting in at least two of those a week lately. 

I've been fortunate to not become ill or suffer any terrible personal losses over the past 18 months but I swear, this pandemic has taken some kind of toll on pretty much everyone I know. And I don't think it's whiney to say that. I'm working to elevate my mood and to regain some physical stamina. And I'm doing what I can to deal with the losses I have experienced during these times; not catastrophic but losses nevertheless. I'm aiming for that sweet spot between denial and wallowing, if ya know what I mean. 

I just finished watching LuLaRich too!  I thought it was a really entertaining expose of MLM schemes and how they operate.  The husband/wife who run the company are both real pieces of work.  It's kind of amazing that they ever agreed to be interviewed for the documentary, they really are a couple of scammers.  I thought the way the produces sandwiched the two of them being interviewed and bragging about how involved they were in every detail and nuance of the company with clips from their depositions where neither one of them knew a thing about anything, it was always someone else in charge of whatever aspect of their business was being questioned.  Highly recommend it.

I love walking at the zoo, though I haven't been there in a month or so.  When I had a knee replacement a couple years ago, it was my go-to destination for exercise.  The zoo near me is in a nice park with some gentle hills as well as plenty of benches to sit and relax while watching the animals.

Edited by Rootbeer
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, Jeeves said:

I know what you mean We've all had losses during the past eternity 18 months of the pandemic. It's not whiney at all and I think looking for that sweet spot is the right thing.

I saw my doctor last week for the first time since this all started and told her it has been hard because in 2.5 years I've lost three friends, my dad (whom I wasn't able to see for the last two years of his life--we were booked to go in April 2020), and my 19+ year-old kitty who I loved since she was three weeks old. So yeah, this has all been a lot.

• Love 11

It has been a rough patch for many people.  Each week I try to count my blessings and hope it will lift.  I’m trying to stay positive.  I’ve known so so many that have been lost to covid or cancer over the last couple of years. 

It’s been a good week so far. I went to a local discount store and asked about their Wednesday senior discount.  I had heard it was for those over 50. The clerk was a nice girl about 20.  She’s good at customer service too, she told that I looked to be around 38 or 40 years old!  😝 I thanked her with a laugh.  I’ll return to that store.  Lol

This weekend I’m going to finish listening to an album (The Best of Bread) my deceased cousin gave me and prepare dinner for a friend. They are vaxed, but we’ll eat outside.  Friends and music make me feel better.  Can’t beat Bread. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 14
3 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

It has been a rough patch for many people.  Each week I try to count my blessings and hope it will lift.  I’m trying to stay positive.  I’ve known so so many that have been lost to covid or cancer over the last couple of years. 

It’s been a good week so far. I went to a local discount store and asked about their Wednesday senior discount.  I had heard it was for those over 50. The clerk was a nice girl about 20.  She’s good at customer service too, she told that I looked to be around 38 or 40 years old!  😝 I thanked her with a laugh.  I’ll return to that store.  Lol

This weekend I’m going to finish listening to an album (The Best of Bread) my deceased cousin gave me and prepare dinner for a friend. They are vaxed, but we’ll eat outside.  Friends and music make me feel better.  Can’t beat Bread. 

Bread takes me back to my college years, listening to their music while pining away for Ozziedad, lol. Thanks!

• Love 4

My husband and I both got a Pfizer booster shot yesterday (and the flu shot.)

We had gone in only for the flu shot. Then my husband suddenly asked "when can we get the covid booster shot?" They said today, if you want. So we did.

We both had our 2nd Pfizer shot in the middle of March, so that's been six months.

I don't think it's been officially approved yet, but with my husband five years older than me, and me with COPD, we jumped at the chance.

Would you, if it was offered?

Ps..only side effect (so far) from the booster is a VERY sore arm for both of us (we each got flu shot in the opposite arm from the Covid one.)

Edited by ChiCricket
  • Useful 5
  • Love 7

@SunnyBeBe, thanks for sharing that beautiful Bread song. I've played it twice, thinking of loved ones I've lost. I think the songrwriter wrote it about his father, but it could apply to anyone you love. I love Bread too!

@ChiCricket, I would definitely get a booster. I don't have any underlying conditions, but I will be going for a flu shot one of these days soon, so maybe that will happen for me too. I'm glad it worked out for you 😊

• Love 9
1 hour ago, BetyBee said:

I think the songrwriter wrote it about his father,

David Gates did write it for his father. It was written in 1963 before they were a group. His father taught him how to read and write music, and play some instruments.

I seem to remember a story about how they came up with the name. They had gotten stuck in traffic behind a Wonder Bread truck. True? I don’t know, but that’s the story I remember.

• Useful 4

@ChiCricket - I'll def get the booster when I can. I had my second Moderna shot in late February so my immunity is aging. Today I got an email from my HMO which included this update:

The US Department of Health and Human Services has prepared plans to be ready to offer booster shots to fully vaccinated people this fall. We are awaiting FDA approval and formal clinical guidance from the Centers for Disease Control’s Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) on who should receive booster shots. Currently, federal officials have indicated that booster shots may be offered first to individuals who were fully vaccinated earliest in the vaccination rollout, including health care providers, nursing home residents, and seniors. At this time, additional doses for fully vaccinated people are only available to those who are significantly immunocompromised.

I'm in the "seniors" group of the "early vaccinated," so I'm hoping to get a booster shot by early November at the latest. I had zero reactions to the Moderna injections in January and February, so I'm hoping that will also be the case with the booster. 

I'm planning a road/camping trip for a couple of weeks in mid-November. I will be so happy if I can have the booster shot before I leave. I will be joining a group at a campground and although we'll be doing mainly outdoor activities I'd just feel more comfortable if my immunity to COVID had been boosted by then.

In the meantime, my glamorous life rolls along here at the condo. *snort*  Today the plumber replaced my 15 year old garbage disposal which died several weeks ago. I don't use it intensively (old condo building, old drain pipes) but it does handle all the bits and scraps and scrapings quite nicely and I missed having that convenience. 

• Love 7

The boosters were approved late yesterday, for seniors and those at high risk for complications. 👏🏽 However, because the Pfizer vaccine is overall FDA approved, MDs can technically offer a booster to anyone 12 and older. I think most will be very judicious because a few, mostly young males, have had a severe but temporary reaction to the initial shots.

• Useful 5
14 hours ago, ChiCricket said:

My husband and I both got a Pfizer booster shot yesterday (and the flu shot.)

We had gone in only for the flu shot. Then my husband suddenly asked "when can we get the covid booster shot?" They said today, if you want. So we did.

We both had our 2nd Pfizer shot in the middle of March, so that's been six months.

I don't think it's been officially approved yet, but with my husband five years older than me, and me with COPD, we jumped at the chance.

Would you, if it was offered?

Ps..only side effect (so far) from the booster is a VERY sore arm for both of us (we each got flu shot in the opposite arm from the Covid one.)

Good for you! Yes, I’ll get the booster as soon as I’m eligible. I plan on waiting until October for my flu shot.

• Love 7

Due to my high risk factors, I’m going to get my booster soon.  I’ve heard positive things about mixing it up and getting a different brand booster. I’m seeing my Endocrinologist next week, so I’m checking with her about it. And, I’ll get it immediately.  I expect to have a reaction like I did with my previous shot 2 of Moderna.  It was rough.  I stayed in bed for several days.  Still, it’s worth it.  Absolutely. 

• Love 8

We don't qualify for the booster. My husband does qualify for the 3rd dose though. He was waiting to get the booster as we were told it will have a little more in in it than the Covid shot itself. Since we can't get the booster, we went to Target today and he got the flu shot and his 3rd dose. I got the flu shot and my first shingle shot. It was recommended that we get both shots together. I'll get my second shingle shot in November. We get all our vaccinations at Target. It's 5 minutes from our house(the doctor is not..lol)and you get a $5 coupon off $20 for each vaccine. It's quick and we've never had any issues. All vaccines are covered under his insurance too, so we never pay for any, which is really nice.

• Love 9

I’m wondering if I drive myself to the booster, do I get the $25. Incentive fee.😁 NC has that incentive for those who drive someone to get the vaccine.  Lol. At one time they were paying people $100. To get vaxxed.  

• LOL 3
  • Love 3

Because I am a nosy person I am watching the new neighbors move in. I think that they are fundies because of the way they are dressed.  Hopefully they will be nice and not push their God down the neighbors throats.  Well I will find out if they are nice because I am part of the new family welcoming committee. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
10 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Due to my high risk factors, I’m going to get my booster soon.  I’ve heard positive things about mixing it up and getting a different brand booster. I’m seeing my Endocrinologist next week, so I’m checking with her about it. And, I’ll get it immediately.  I expect to have a reaction like I did with my previous shot 2 of Moderna.  It was rough.  I stayed in bed for several days.  Still, it’s worth it.  Absolutely. 

I know everyone reacts differently, but I had absolutely no side efforts (other than a slightly sore arm) after both Pfizer doses.

8 hours ago, Madtown said:

We don't qualify for the booster. My husband does qualify for the 3rd dose though. He was waiting to get the booster as we were told it will have a little more in in it than the Covid shot itself. Since we can't get the booster, we went to Target today and he got the flu shot and his 3rd dose. I got the flu shot and my first shingle shot. It was recommended that we get both shots together. I'll get my second shingle shot in November. We get all our vaccinations at Target. It's 5 minutes from our house(the doctor is not..lol)and you get a $5 coupon off $20 for each vaccine. It's quick and we've never had any issues. All vaccines are covered under his insurance too, so we never pay for any, which is really nice.

I did the same last year. I got the shingles vaccine in my left arm and the flu vaccine in my right. It worked out fine.🙂

7 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I’m wondering if I drive myself to the booster, do I get the $25. Incentive fee.😁 NC has that incentive for those who drive someone to get the vaccine.  Lol. At one time they were paying people $100. To get vaxxed.  

They’re now paying people $100 here in Ohio . Unfortunately, it’s not retroactive!

• Useful 2
  • Love 5

My reaction to the Pfizer vaccine was  like yours, Cinnabon - no reaction at all! I have started getting my shots on my right arm. I can only side sleep on my left side due to a previous frozen shoulder, but other than a brief period of soreness at the site, I was pleased to have no reaction. 

My sister is in the hospital with pneumonia and a uti. She is frail due to having had cancer with chemo & radiation a few years ago. She seemed well when we visited her a couple of weeks ago. She also had a recent CT scan for a spot on her lung. Her doc thinks it's from Covid, which she got when she was hospitalized (she's often in and out of the hospital, due to dehydration). She's fully vaxxed post Covid. We haven't heard the results of the CT scan. I'm so worried about her! Please keep her in your thoughts and prayers. 

Went to Trader Joe’s. Bought too many new products to try. So far most are disappointing. 

Good news Sunday: I’m going to meet up groups and trying new things. I’m so introverted and shy it’s torturous to keep talking about myself. But I’m trying. 

Truly sucks being an only child.

• Love 18
13 minutes ago, iwantcookies said:

Went to Trader Joe’s. Bought too many new products to try. So far most are disappointing. 

Good news Sunday: I’m going to meet up groups and trying new things. I’m so introverted and shy it’s torturous to keep talking about myself. But I’m trying. 

Truly sucks being an only child.

Have you ever tried Trader Joe's skincare? I've always wanted to try their body butters but don't know if they're any good or not. 

4 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Have you ever tried Trader Joe's skincare? I've always wanted to try their body butters but don't know if they're any good or not. 

Only the pumpkin body butter. It’s pretty good for $5. Of course now I smell like a pumpkin 😂🙃.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 5
  • Love 2

I’ve missed everyone. Happy Sunday. I went away for a long weekend to a friends house outside of Charlotte, N.C. Up near Lake Norman. We inaugurated their new hot tub last night under the full moon. We ate so well, laughed, and all of us are fully vaccinated, wear masks, and are all good hand washers etc. The weather was perfect and we spent all our time in the fresh air other than sleeping in our own rooms. They have a very active bird feeders and I even saw a goldfinch. What a nice break. 
   Don’t laugh. When I. First saw @SunnyBeBe mention that she liked Bread I thought of bread yum. French bread? Rye? Then I played the song and was wow. I knew the song, but not the artist. Thanks for all the back information on how it was written. 
   On the question of getting my third vaccine, my answer is yes. I’m not due yet, but will be the end of October and will actively seek it out. I did well with the first two. 
   @BetyBee I’m sorry to hear about your sister. My best wishes and prayers go out to you and your family for her. 🙏🏻
    @iwantcookies I am also proud of you. I know from experience how you feel, but unless we change…nothing changes. I hope you meet some nice new friends. 
   Like I said. I have missed checking in here. You are all important to me. 

• Love 19

Sending healing thoughts for your sister, @BetyBee. Hope she feels better and will be on the road to recovery.

I am so proud of you, @iwantcookies. It isn’t easy to join new groups where you don’t know anyone, but it can pay off in so many positive ways. I hope you find fun activities and good people to spend time with. And maybe even some  friendships. You should be proud of yourself, too!

• Love 7

The discussion of 8th grade field trips to amusement parks over in the Sweet Fellowship thread made me smile. I did not enjoy middle school overall, but the day we rode the roller coaster (ours was called The Phoenix) over and over? Pure joy.

• Love 8

@BetyBee, also sending good thoughts for your friend. @iwantcookies, good for you with the meetups. I joined meetup.com several years ago to pursue my interest in photography when I knew nobody who was all that into it. Since then I've met so many terrific people and had so many good outings. I didn't really do it with the intent of making new friends but that happened. 

@Panopticon, yay for middle school joy! And, speaking of joy. I've mentioned that London is my happy place. Yes, crowded, expensive, noisy London. Located more than 4600 miles from where I actually live. And thanks to the dang virus, a no-go zone for way too long now. SIgh.

One of my favorite things to do there is to join a walk by London Walks. I've never had a bad experience on one, and they also do some day trips via train that I've enjoyed. TBH during the pandemic it was just too painful for me to keep up with some online travel forums I belong to. Finally I've cheered up and visited those forums again. Which has led me to discover that London Walks is doing virtual walks! I can pay about $15 and enjoy a live walk via Zoom. Not the real thing but I'm so excited. I just have to choose one. So far the Cats of London virtual tour is calling my name. Or purring at me, as it were. (PS. I have booked a trip to London at the beginning of June 2022; might as well be there for the hoopla for the Queen's 70th Jubilee. So I can't spend all my money on virtual tours, but an occasional splurge should be fine.)

ETA: @BetyBee - I'm sorry that I goofed in my original post above, and said your friend instead of your sister. That's what I get for not going back to double check when it's been awhile since I read a post. 

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 13
11 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

@BetyBee, also sending good thoughts for your friend. @iwantcookies, good for you with the meetups. I joined meetup.com several years ago to pursue my interest in photography when I knew nobody who was all that into it. Since then I've met so many terrific people and had so many good outings. I didn't really do it with the intent of making new friends but that happened. 

@Panopticon, yay for middle school joy! And, speaking of joy. I've mentioned that London is my happy place. Yes, crowded, expensive, noisy London. Located more than 4600 miles from where I actually live. And thanks to the dang virus, a no-go zone for way too long now. SIgh.

One of my favorite things to do there is to join a walk by London Walks. I've never had a bad experience on one, and they also do some day trips via train that I've enjoyed. TBH during the pandemic it was just too painful for me to keep up with some online travel forums I belong to. Finally I've cheered up and visited those forums again. Which has led me to discover that London Walks is doing virtual walks! I can pay about $15 and enjoy a live walk via Zoom. Not the real thing but I'm so excited. I just have to choose one. So far the Cats of London virtual tour is calling my name. Or purring at me, as it were. (PS. I have booked a trip to London at the beginning of June 2022; might as well be there for the hoopla for the Queen's 70th Jubilee. So I can't spend all my money on virtual tours, but an occasional splurge should be fine.)

That sounds so cool! I love London as well, although I generally hate big cities with a passion. But I was born there, and still have a number of cousins in the general vicinity, so there's a sense of the familiar there which I find lacking in other cities. I might look up those walks next time I go (hopefully in the spring).

• Love 8

I’ve also done London Walks, and agreed, they are wonderful! I’ll definitely be looking into the Zoom version. I feel so lucky that I got back to London in 2019, since we all know what would have happened had I put that trip off to 2020. I’m not sure why, but I am endlessly fascinated by the Tower of London. I could visit over and over. And have.

• Love 11
1 minute ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

That sounds so cool! I love London as well, although I generally hate big cities with a passion. But I was born there, and still have a number of cousins in the general vicinity, so there's a sense of the familiar there which I find lacking in other cities. I might look up those walks next time I go (hopefully in the spring).

I love London too! Ozziedaughter lives there and we try and visit every other year. But with pandemic, we haven’t been able to. Luckily she has UK and US passports so she visits us. But there is so much to do in London, especially if you enjoy walking and museums. Can’t wait to go back! @Jeeves 2022 should be a good time in UK, the Brits do pomp and pageantry better than anyone else.

• Love 7
15 minutes ago, Panopticon said:

I’ve also done London Walks, and agreed, they are wonderful! I’ll definitely be looking into the Zoom version. I feel so lucky that I got back to London in 2019, since we all know what would have happened had I put that trip off to 2020. I’m not sure why, but I am endlessly fascinated by the Tower of London. I could visit over and over. And have.

I've also visited several times. My last visit was in November 2018. I timed it to cover the Centenary of the Armistice that ended World War I. There were some special things going on that I enjoyed, including a play about the young War poet Wilfred Owen. I had breakfast on Remembrance Sunday in my hotel, with a woman from Ireland. She and her aunt were among those chosen to march in the People's Procession that morning. They were going to carry photographs of their ancestor who fought in the war. I decided not to go out to join the throngs in the street that day but watched it on TV (aging joints were complaining from some overuse, sigh). Got a better view of it anyway, lol. 

Interesting that you're a ToL fan. I watched a mini-series documentary about it recently (can't remember if it was the Smithsonian channel or one of the NatGeo channels). Which has reminded me that I'm overdue for another visit. 

12 minutes ago, ozziemom said:

I love London too! Ozziedaughter lives there and we try and visit every other year. But with pandemic, we haven’t been able to. Luckily she has UK and US passports so she visits us. But there is so much to do in London, especially if you enjoy walking and museums. Can’t wait to go back! @Jeeves 2022 should be a good time in UK, the Brits do pomp and pageantry better than anyone else.

No kidding!! Glad you have been able to visit and hope you can get back there before too long.

ETA: Speaking of pageantry, I was delighted to be able to see the Lord Mayor's Show in 2018. It's a big parade. It was a lot more fun than I'd expected. It's also quite an experience because the streets of the City of London (the "square mile") are closed to traffic on the morning of the show. You'll never see those streets as empty on a typical Saturday morning, I'm sure. 

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 5

This shingles shot has kicked my ass way more than the Covid shot did. I barely had anything with those shots. I get to do it all over again in 2 months with the second one. Better than getting shingles though. Hubby had those years ago and it was awful.  He didn't do well with his second Covid shot and isn't doing well with the third either. Didn't even go into work today and he rarely calls in sick.

• Love 1
59 minutes ago, Panopticon said:

Me too!  It’s been many years since I visited, but the Tower of London was a highlight for me.  I just loved it!  I’ve wanted to return so many times.  Just when I thought it might happen, covid appeared.  Maybe one day. 

BetyBee, I hope you get good news from your sister.  Sending well wishes her way.  

IwantCookies, it’s courageous to get out and meet new people, but definitely worth it. Of course, some people are introverts and that’s ok too.  I’m really missing the old days of socializing.  Due to Delta, I’m still not back to my previous customs.  

• Love 5