Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

OK.  I just came home from a trip to see my brother in Ca, and I am a little shocked.  The students in the High Schools (there two in the district) made a complaint that the girls were being held to different standards when it comes to the dress code.  So--the district included them in making new rules.  You can now wear:  Pajamas (no slippers, however), any kind of top that has straps (so you could put spaghetti straps on a tube top and it would be fine), any leisure wear is great, bare midriff is fine, any cap or hats are fine.  As far as I can tell from reading the list, anything except just a sports bra (it needs something over it, no matter how small) or just a tube top, or slippers is just fine.  This apparently is the new dress code for the entire district.  I am very curious, since I have been out of teaching for about 8 years.  Is this typical in other school districts around the country?

2 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:

OK.  I just came home from a trip to see my brother in Ca, and I am a little shocked.  The students in the High Schools (there two in the district) made a complaint that the girls were being held to different standards when it comes to the dress code.  So--the district included them in making new rules.  You can now wear:  Pajamas (no slippers, however), any kind of top that has straps (so you could put spaghetti straps on a tube top and it would be fine), any leisure wear is great, bare midriff is fine, any cap or hats are fine.  As far as I can tell from reading the list, anything except just a sports bra (it needs something over it, no matter how small) or just a tube top, or slippers is just fine.  This apparently is the new dress code for the entire district.  I am very curious, since I have been out of teaching for about 8 years.  Is this typical in other school districts around the country?

Not in my area of Pennsylvania.

Dress codes around here haven't changed much, but the wording has. Rather than male and female dress codes, they now have one. Generally its tops with straps of at least one inch, no bare midriffs and bottoms can be no shorter than just above the knee. No hats/head coverings, unless for religious reasons, no see-through clothing and no clothing with provocative statements or pictures. Footwear must be safe for stairs and specific activities.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Cinnabon said:

I’ve heard that you may be able to get a Pfizer booster even if you previously got the Moderna, but I can’t find anything definite. It’s also unclear how they are defining “at risk” for those 50-65. 

I saw this story posted earlier. It addresses mixing vaccines. 

https://apple.news/AeBIHH64ERginCq-jh5ID7g

Edited by Ijustwantsomechips
  • Useful 6
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, Ijustwantsomechips said:

I saw this story posted earlier. It addresses mixing vaccines. 

https://apple.news/AeBIHH64ERginCq-jh5ID7g

Thanks.  I half way expect a change on that though.  As the experts learn more, the recommendations change.  I’ll follow protocol, of course. I’m anxious for my booster, as I’m high risk. I was going to discuss it with my doctor last week, but it didn’t happen.  Long story as I have posted about. 

I saw a story on the news yesterday of a new covid vaccine delivery where you apply a patch to your arm. It’s sticks on with fine little spikes like velcro and you wear it for 2 days.  The expert said it’s better that way and delivered gradually.  No needles.  It won’t be available for another year. My question is how can you confirm a person actually wore it the full time?  Who signs the vaccine card?

• Useful 7

I read more last night and the consensus seems to be that if you are under 65 and consider yourself “high risk” for whatever reason, you should just go to a pharmacy and request the booster . Apparently they’re not vetting or requiring proof of any condition.

• Useful 9
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Cinnabon said:

I read more last night and the consensus seems to be that if you are under 65 and consider yourself “high risk” for whatever reason, you should just go to a pharmacy and request the booster . Apparently they’re not vetting or requiring proof of any condition.

I’d do it, but I got Moderna.  

• Love 6

Got a text today from my friend who is from NJ and went there last week for a visit.  She had a third Moderna shot before she left.  Somehow where she went just gave it to her.  Anyway, she said she and her family all tested positive (all of them are vaccinated and are very careful, masking, etc).  They are all sick.  She said the cough was beyond belief, but, didn't lose smell or taste, and if she didn't know about Covid and took a test, she would have thought it was a bad cold.  They did get the Regeneron and said it will take three days to take effect.  They are all quarantining right now.  So it is all scary.  Imagine if they weren't vaccinated.  They are all over 65 except the niece.

• Love 1
On 9/20/2021 at 6:54 AM, Jeeves said:

And, speaking of joy. I've mentioned that London is my happy place. Yes, crowded, expensive, noisy London. Located more than 4600 miles from where I actually live. And thanks to the dang virus, a no-go zone for way too long now. SIgh.

One of my favorite things to do there is to join a walk by London Walks. I've never had a bad experience on one, and they also do some day trips via train that I've enjoyed. TBH during the pandemic it was just too painful for me to keep up with some online travel forums I belong to. Finally I've cheered up and visited those forums again. Which has led me to discover that London Walks is doing virtual walks! I can pay about $15 and enjoy a live walk via Zoom. Not the real thing but I'm so excited. I just have to choose one. So far the Cats of London virtual tour is calling my name. Or purring at me, as it were. (PS. I have booked a trip to London at the beginning of June 2022; might as well be there for the hoopla for the Queen's 70th Jubilee. So I can't spend all my money on virtual tours, but an occasional splurge should be fine.)

That's my most favorite city, too! I've been there three times, however, the last time was way back in 2003. There's almost a physical ache when I have to leave. AND, like you, I am also planning to be there on June 1st! Two years ago I booked a tour of prehistoric cave art in France and since the tour company was based in London, I booked my roundtrip flight from Portland to London. I had given myself a couple of days in London after France to give me time to go to the V&A and British Museums before I went home. Needless to say, tour has been cancelled twice and so this second time I need a refund more so can't just take a credit. However, my plane ticket is separate and non-refundable. Although I doubt I'll be able to afford the France tour again--at least not for a few years--just in case, I rebooked my airfare to coincide with the dates of the June 1st tour. Even if I can't afford the tour by then, I should be able to afford a basic AirBnB and I usually just get groceries (I don't go out to dinner since I've always only been there by myself). Airfare is usually the most costly part of a trip but that's already taken care of. I love taking the Tube and although I'm still depressed about not getting to take my dream tour, I'll still be more than pleased to run around London (and surrounding areas) for nine days! I had no idea about it being around the Jubilee. I hope the price of an AirBnB doesn't become unaffordable.

• Love 6
15 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

Got a text today from my friend who is from NJ and went there last week for a visit.  She had a third Moderna shot before she left.  Somehow where she went just gave it to her.  Anyway, she said she and her family all tested positive (all of them are vaccinated and are very careful, masking, etc).  They are all sick.  She said the cough was beyond belief, but, didn't lose smell or taste, and if she didn't know about Covid and took a test, she would have thought it was a bad cold.  They did get the Regeneron and said it will take three days to take effect.  They are all quarantining right now.  So it is all scary.  Imagine if they weren't vaccinated.  They are all over 65 except the niece.

I’m going to ask my pharmacy if they’ll give it to me. My dad has appointment for booster in Oct. I’ll try to get if for him as well. My mom got Pfizer, so can get her booster right now.  

• Love 5
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I’d do it, but I got Moderna.  

So did I. I'm in my 70's and am anxious to get the booster. I read yesterday that Moderna thinks its booster will be ready in 2 or 3 weeks. I hope so.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9

In about 2 weeks I’m going to search out (go to pharmacies etc) to get a Moderna booster. So many say that they just went in and asked for it. I’m thinking that when they do approve it that it might be in shorter supply. I have breathing issues and think even a mild case might put me in a hospital or worse. I’m extremely careful, but know others that have been and get infected anyway. Darn, I never thought this would last so long and have such terrible consequences. Stay safe and well fellow posters. 

• Love 6
47 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

Is the “booster” just a third shot or is it a different recipe?

The Pfizer is the same dose, just a third shot.   

I've heard that Moderna will have a different dose for the booster, possibly half strength of the first two.  I believe that is what the data being presented in a few weeks looked at.  

I think the J&J will also be the same strength as the first and I would not be surprised if they have a two shot series as the standard going forward, but probably spaced out a bit more than the mRNA shots.

None of these "changes" mean we did it wrong the first time around.  Vaccine protocols have changed a lot over the years as data is collected.  When the chicken pox vaccine was first introduced, it was supposed to be a one shot deal.   As data was collected over time, it moved to a two shot series.  I received my MMR series on a different schedule than my younger brother did, based on the evidence as it changed over time.  The fact that we have a COVID vaccine at all after only 21 months after identification of the virus is absolutely incredible.  The details of best practice will work themselves out over time.

• Useful 3
  • Love 14

My understanding is the booster shot is a third dose. Due to the combination of waning antibodies and the extremely contagious delta variant, its thought a third dose will make the vaccines more effective. Moderna has always been a few weeks behind Pfizer in submitting their data. I believe it has been submitted and is under review now.

From what I also understand the results of the data on boosters is somewhat inconclusive. Waning antibodies doesn't necessarily mean our T-cells aren't ready and waiting to do their job, with just the two doses. That's one of the reasons they're recommending it for 65 and old, high risk for severe covid and frontline workers.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Scout Finch said:

That's my most favorite city, too! I've been there three times, however, the last time was way back in 2003. There's almost a physical ache when I have to leave. AND, like you, I am also planning to be there on June 1st! Two years ago I booked a tour of prehistoric cave art in France and since the tour company was based in London, I booked my roundtrip flight from Portland to London. I had given myself a couple of days in London after France to give me time to go to the V&A and British Museums before I went home. Needless to say, tour has been cancelled twice and so this second time I need a refund more so can't just take a credit. However, my plane ticket is separate and non-refundable. Although I doubt I'll be able to afford the France tour again--at least not for a few years--just in case, I rebooked my airfare to coincide with the dates of the June 1st tour. Even if I can't afford the tour by then, I should be able to afford a basic AirBnB and I usually just get groceries (I don't go out to dinner since I've always only been there by myself). Airfare is usually the most costly part of a trip but that's already taken care of. I love taking the Tube and although I'm still depressed about not getting to take my dream tour, I'll still be more than pleased to run around London (and surrounding areas) for nine days! I had no idea about it being around the Jubilee. I hope the price of an AirBnB doesn't become unaffordable.

London is my favorite city to visit too. I love to just walk around and look at the old buildings etc. Plus so many museums are free! My daughter lives in South London so another reason for me to go. I had a trip planned in 2020 to celebrate retirement, but obviously it was canceled. Luckily for us, our daughter has been here to Florida for a couple extended visits. She has both US and UK passports so she was able to travel. Hopefully I will be going in 2022 too!

• Love 6
3 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I have a confession to make. I love Crocs and I wear them in public.

I have to wear Vionic shoes due to a couple of foot conditions. I think they look pretty good, but to me, anything that works for my feet is a winner!

• Love 13
25 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I have to wear Vionic shoes due to a couple of foot conditions. I think they look pretty good, but to me, anything that works for my feet is a winner!

I like my Vionics, as well. They were recommended to me by a podiatrist and I also think they have some nice styles.

• Love 5
10 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

No foot condition here. I just like Crocs.

• Love 6

I only wear Crocs in the house and yard. I used to wear them in public (my first ones were bright blue), but in my head I can still hear my then teen-aged daughter saying, "Mom, please don't wear those!" I have plantar fascitis, so around the house I wear my Crocs with a compression sock, but for out and about, I wear Orthofeet shoes. I now have 3 pair - gym shoes, somewhat dressy ones and a cute, casual pair. My plantar fascitis pain is lessening and sometimes I forget I even have it!

• Useful 3
  • Love 8

Please pray for my friends’s daughter. She has a sub chorionic hematoma. She has been trying so hard to have a baby. I gave her my nursing suggestions and her Dr gave her the same suggestions (minus one I said- to wear sensible shoes). The bleeding has stopped for now, but she is having terrible headaches. I told her to let her MD know that and to monitor her BP. I would appreciate it if you can say a prayer for her. Thank you 🙏🏻

My 4 days with my granddaughter here are coming to an end today. She is the one with the 18-P deletion (chromosomal). I think all the extra attention has been good for her and I love making good memories.  She still doesn’t understand her parents getting divorced and her father who has not asked to see her in 5 months (🤬) It’s sad. He also isn’t seeing his eldest son, but he is mad at his Dad for stepping out on his Mom. My daughter is struggling, but trying to move forward (until he baits her…he wants his cake and to eat it too as well as his side chick). All I can do is to be there for any of them. If I’m missing something please let me know. 

• Love 18
4 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

My 4 days with my granddaughter here are coming to an end today. She is the one with the 18-P deletion (chromosomal). I think all the extra attention has been good for her and I love making good memories.  She still doesn’t understand her parents getting divorced and her father who has not asked to see her in 5 months (🤬) It’s sad. He also isn’t seeing his eldest son, but he is mad at his Dad for stepping out on his Mom. My daughter is struggling, but trying to move forward (until he baits her…he wants his cake and to eat it too as well as his side chick). All I can do is to be there for any of them. If I’m missing something please let me know. 

You are a great grandmother and mother. Your love and support is very much appreciated and felt deeply I am sure. I know it's going to be a long road for your daughter, grieving the loss of the marriage, parenting her child with a mental disability, trying to parent her typical children. You are a pillar of strength for her.

The soon to be ex husband is a POS, but thats his choice. Not a reflection on anyone but himself.

• Love 13

Mr. BB & I got our Covid Booster shots this morning. It was uneventful and a short wait.

I learned yesterday that my sister, who is in ICU with pneumonia, has Acute Myeloid Leukemia. She's had a rough few years, culminating with losing her husband suddenly in March. She's very ill, which I'm having trouble wrapping my head around. We had a lovely visit in early September and she seemed to be doing so well. 😢

• Love 2
6 hours ago, BetyBee said:

Mr. BB & I got our Covid Booster shots this morning. It was uneventful and a short wait.

I learned yesterday that my sister, who is in ICU with pneumonia, has Acute Myeloid Leukemia. She's had a rough few years, culminating with losing her husband suddenly in March. She's very ill, which I'm having trouble wrapping my head around. We had a lovely visit in early September and she seemed to be doing so well. 😢

I’m so sorry Betty Bee. 

I know there are a number of Dolly Parton fans here, this cover will blow you away. 

• Love 9

@BetyBee, as @SunnyBeBe said, I'm sorry for your sister's illness and other losses. Not fair.

About Crocs. Last year as lockdown was starting to loosen up a bit I tossed my sad old house shoes and treated myself to a new pair of Crocs to wear around the house with my warm socks. I got the cheapest pair available for local pickup when I shopped online at Famous Footwear. I wear this pair around my condo and the condo building. Just this evening a neighbor complimented me on them down at the mailboxes. Which led to her telling about how much she likes Crocs and how many pairs she owns. Here are my lovelies - perhaps you can see why I don't wear them out and about (I do sometimes wear the plain black pair, and I have some Crocs sandals I love) - 🙂

Crocs1.thumb.jpg.c72cea9966fe7bc3c67bdcbe6e690493.jpg

ETA: It's perfectly fine to laugh at these shoes, or to despise them, or to like them. A couple of my neighbors have given them the side-eye. I get it. 🤣

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 21

Love your Crocs @Jeeves

Right now I'm rocking a full clog, lined with faux fleece. The color is ballet pink, which is funny because I don't own anything pink. The pair I'm considering buying also doesn't fit my style - sparkly white. For some reason that tiny little speck of girly-girl in me comes out in my Crocs.

While I've never received compliments from strangers or acquaintances, those that know me smile and nod, or maybe they smirk and nod. Lets just say, its not surprising to them that I like Crocs and wear them proudly.

Funny thing is, since the pandemic has relaxed many folks' clothing choices, I've noticed more Crocs is public than ever before.

• Love 7
22 hours ago, Jeeves said:

ETA: It's perfectly fine to laugh at these shoes, or to despise them, or to like them. A couple of my neighbors have given them the side-eye. I get it. 🤣

I love those!

I have a pair of Crocs with chile peppers on them that I wear in the kitchen if I am cooking a holiday meal or the like. They save my back.

• Love 8

If anyone knows anything about this, please chime in.  I will contact apple support, but am too tired. I was up most of the night working on a case, which settled today!  Very grateful!  Anyway, this same thing is happening to my IPad and my mom’s ipad!  They are not connected in any way.  It first started last night.  I’ve read a lot of stuff, but it seems odd that it would be the device if it’s doing it on both.  ……….When you click on Safari, one option is Google icon. If you click on it, the page freezes.  If you click on G mail, nothing, account, etc. nothing happens. Just stuck.  If you try to type in the bar in middle of page below the Google picture of the day, it closes up. It won’t allow you to type in it.  You can type in the upper bar space.  It’s very odd. It happened suddenly.  My mom’s is exactly the same way.  I’ve read about clearing cookies, history, etc., but my mom’s is the same way and she barely has anything on her iPad.  Hardly any searches.  Is this a systemic issue with Google?  

If I open Safari and go to Bing, it works fine. Other apps open fine too.  Any suggestions?  I don’t want to reset the thing as that is very inconvenient and has never fixed a problem after doing it.  

I have had a busy and productive morning.  Wednesday I hired a guy to clean out and organize my garage.  Yesterday he came back with a trailer and took the throw away stuff to the dump.  This morning I made two trips to the thrift store to donate the stuff that was good, and a trip to the animal shelter to donate the  pillows and cat toys that I thought they could use.  And some extra cat food.  I feel good--like I actually accomplished something.  Now I just have to straighten up some shelves, and then I can hang some curtains across them, and my garage should look pretty good. I might actually be able to find things when I need them.  Stranger things have happened.

• Love 17
49 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

If anyone knows anything about this, please chime in.  I will contact apple support, but am too tired. I was up most of the night working on a case, which settled today!  Very grateful!  Anyway, this same thing is happening to my IPad and my mom’s ipad!  They are not connected in any way.  It first started last night.  I’ve read a lot of stuff, but it seems odd that it would be the device if it’s doing it on both.  ……….When you click on Safari, one option is Google icon. If you click on it, the page freezes.  If you click on G mail, nothing, account, etc. nothing happens. Just stuck.  If you try to type in the bar in middle of page below the Google picture of the day, it closes up. It won’t allow you to type in it.  You can type in the upper bar space.  It’s very odd. It happened suddenly.  My mom’s is exactly the same way.  I’ve read about clearing cookies, history, etc., but my mom’s is the same way and she barely has anything on her iPad.  Hardly any searches.  Is this a systemic issue with Google?  

If I open Safari and go to Bing, it works fine. Other apps open fine too.  Any suggestions?  I don’t want to reset the thing as that is very inconvenient and has never fixed a problem after doing it.  

There have been issues with google. I just googled, haha.  Try deleting the app and reinstalling.  

As for crocs, I would love to have some closed in ones, but I am between whole sizes.  One size too small one size too big.  I have a lot of croc sandals and they work just fine. 

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

@BetyBee I’m very sorry to hear about your sister. My condolences, purrs from the Mindrhinkr kitties and I'm sending you a virtual hug. 💔

My sister was a huge fan of dogs and cats, so kitty purrs are just the right therapy. Besides her wonderful, adult children, she left behind a sweet kitty. I've been thinking of offering to take him, but our cat is in very poor health and doesn't like other cats or dogs, so I don't think it's fair to him. Hopefully, her daughter will take him in. Anyway, he brought her great comfort in the months since she lost her husband. 

• Love 11