Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

MommyRabbittron I just started reading The Hope We Hold and I don't want to say it's boring but I fell asleep reading it.  I also thought that the 1st Star Wars movie was boring and I also fell asleep watching it.  I wonder who proofread the book before publication because when each of my kids were in kindergarten they were better writers. 

5 hours ago, Jeeves said:

Best wishes to Mommy @Rabbittron and @Mindthinkr. I hope you are both feeling better today.

Thanks 😊

• Love 5

Thank you @Jeeves 

I’m happy to report that his Covid test came back negative. It’s the flu. The Dr said that the flu began early this year. Lots of people are being tested for the virus as a few of the symptoms for it and the flu overlap. Warning to @SunnyBeBe this is about an hour-a hour and a half away from you. 

• Love 16
18 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Thank you @Jeeves 

I’m happy to report that his Covid test came back negative. It’s the flu. The Dr said that the flu began early this year. Lots of people are being tested for the virus as a few of the symptoms for it and the flu overlap. Warning to @SunnyBeBe this is about an hour-a hour and a half away from you. 

Glad his Covid test was negative and I hope he has a speedy recovery from the flu. Flu can be pretty rough sometimes.  I have seen all of the pharmacies advertising flu shots, and I was thinking that it was awfully early.......but it is September! I guess I better get mine soon. I usually do my flu shot at my doctor's office but my check up isn't until November and probably shouldn't wait that long. I wonder why the flu has started early, and if it is related to last year being a relatively mild year for flu cases. 

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, kaleidoscope said:

We haven't heard a thing about the Covid booster in our area.  Is it the same booster for all of the Covid vaccines?  Do I need to seek out one for Moderna?

Currently, the CDC isn't recommending booster for anyone except those who are immunocompromised.  Those folks are eligible now.  The general recommendation is to get the same booster as your original vaccine; so if you got Moderna, the booster should be Moderna.

It seems likely that, within the next few months, the CDC will recommend boosters for everyone. but it hasn't happened yet.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/recommendations/immuno.html#:~:text=CDC does not recommend additional doses or booster,of Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine or Moderna COVID-19 vaccine.

• Useful 6
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I don’t normally get my flu shot this early, but I’m going to this year.  Probably next week.  I can’t get my covid booster until November. 

Dr Fauci has recommended getting the flu shot in October, so it’s effects last through the end of the flu season in March.

• Useful 5
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

I made Pumpkin Spice Syrup this weekend (link to the Pinterest recipe). 

Instead of a cup of sugar I did 1/3 cup of light brown. I’m quite pleased. The stuff from Starbucks has condensed milk which gives it that creaminess, which is nice but I like this in my frothed milk & coffee for every day. 

Ooh, I’m going to give that a try! I may cut down on the sugar a bit (bit wonder how that will affect the consistency). Do you store it in the fridge?

8 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

Ooh, I’m going to give that a try! I may cut down on the sugar a bit (bit wonder how that will affect the consistency). Do you store it in the fridge?

Yup I store it in a little mason jar in the fridge. And I shook it up today before I poured it in. 

• Useful 4

I discovered this awesome old tune watching an old show called Doctor Finlay.  It’s set in Scotland in the 1940’s.  It’s a delightful series for those who enjoy British television. I couldn’t find the version on the show Season 4, episode 5, but this is a random person singing it.  Just a lovely song.  

• Love 1

We were discussing laundry habits in the Jill thread so I thought I would bring it over here. 

No I admit I grew up in a not typical situation- (in my home my sister’s bed linen is washed every single day, that’s a full load by itself). But in most families do people mix their laundry items?? We always did it where by my Mom had one load of hers done each week, and I had a load, and grandfather had a load, and then of course my sisters was done every day. I wash all of my things on cold, and either hung dried things that needed to be (bras, sweaters, jeans and work pants) and then tossed in the dryer what needed to be dried in the dryer. 

Ive never had my items mixed in with other family members laundry items. 

I now admit most weeks I have my sister’s caregiver do my laundry. We do about 15 loads a week in my building between my sister’s bed linen, her plushes, and of course my Mom and I wear clothes too!

Just wondering what other people did. 

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

We were discussing laundry habits in the Jill thread so I thought I would bring it over here. 

No I admit I grew up in a not typical situation- (in my home my sister’s bed linen is washed every single day, that’s a full load by itself). But in most families do people mix their laundry items?? We always did it where by my Mom had one load of hers done each week, and I had a load, and grandfather had a load, and then of course my sisters was done every day. I wash all of my things on cold, and either hung dried things that needed to be (bras, sweaters, jeans and work pants) and then tossed in the dryer what needed to be dried in the dryer. 

I now admit most weeks I have my sister’s caregiver do my laundry. We do about 15 loads a week in my building between my sister’s bed linen, her plushes, and of course my Mom and I wear clothes too!

Back when my kids were younger and lived with me, we were doing some sort of laundry almost every day. Clothes of 4 people all mixed together, sorted by color and/or type. Done whenever there’s a full load, so twice a week. Towels done all together in one load, as well as bedding (another load) usually on Saturday. 

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

We’ve always washed together. Until recently and for most of my life starting when my mother had me do laundry it was sorted by lights, medium and darks, towels and bed linens. Just within the past year for me and Mr lookeyloo I have been letting the basket get full enough for a load and washing it all together on warm. Some Things I hang to dry. A Few rare things need ironing but I am a quilter and the iron is a big part of that and I kind of enjoy it. Towels and sheets still washed separately. So far no fails. I watched someone on YouTube who sorted by similar weight fabrics not by color. I don’t guess we are made sick by each others clothes. 

• Love 7

When my kids were little and not able to do their laundry (it was down two flights of stairs and those basement stairs were a doozy with a sharp turn and a half step) I would either mix the kids clothes together or just do a big load of all our clothes. I did the laundry so I would sort and fold and put it on their beds and they would put it away. (Even now, husband's gets placed on his side of the bed) Once the kids got old enough they just do their own. Including their own towels and sheets. I do wash my and my husband's clothes together. 

On a funny side note, there was a sign in the laundry room of son's college instructing students that the laundry pods go in the tub. (Hahahaha!)

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Very interesting thank you for sharing!

I will separate out very delicate items, or things that needed to be hand washed- but I wash all my things together, two tide pods, on cold these days. My standard white plastic basket fills up about a week of clothes. I have a “cute” Rae Dunn laundry basket that lives in my bedroom corner and the white plastic one is what travels back and forth between the basement. 

Yesterday did the non clothing linen- sofa cover, bathmats- stuff like that. 

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

In our house, it is me, husband and the pup. On Friday I strip the bed, wash and dry the sheets and remake the bed with the freshly laundered sheets. Then I do a small load with pup Harley’s towels - the towels we use in his crate, the towels we wipe his feet with… that stuff. Then Saturday morning I do a load of our bath towels, a load of my clothes (yoga pants, shirts, underwear) and a heavy duty load with husband’s work pants, work shirts (that I pretreat because he is a mechanic and, grease). I hang up most of my clothes to dry, and dry all of husband’s clothes along with my panties and shirts. So we have 5 loads of laundry that are washed, and 4 loads total in the dryer weekly. 

• Love 4

When I was a kid, mom did the whole family's laundry.  I am one of four.   She sorted per her ideas of how laundry should be done.   I personally did not start doing my laundry until college because none of us would do it right.  I did not start doing laundry until college.   Now that I live with her, we do our own laundry.   She can do her own per her rules, and I do mine. 

• Love 6

For those who like to hang dry inside:  I just installed a wooden drying rack that pulls up to the ceiling.  I got tired of having to set up the wood rack for my good tops and items I didn't want in the dryer.  This gizmo is called a PulleyMaid.  It ships from England -- very quickly, I might add.  It stores along the ceiling so it is out of the way.  Mine consists of 5 wood slats, two metal holders for the slats, two pulleys, and rope.  I just lower it down, hang the clothes, and pull it back up to dry up in the ceiling.  You can get whatever length slats you need--mine are about 5 feet each.  You can also use metal clothes pins, or s hooks to hang clothing on hangers.  It is utilizing space at the ceiling that can't be used for anything else, so it takes up no room.  So far, I'm really liking it.

• Useful 17
  • Love 1

I taught my kids how to cook and do laundry from the time they were little, and they are teens now and do it on their own. (Getting it folded and put away is another story- that rarely happens!). I was never taught and was a completely clueless adult who had to learn on my own. My parents had no idea how to cook, clean, or do laundry so never taught us.  I was so ashamed of my lack of life skills that I’ve been determined never to have my kids grow up as helpless as I was. 

• Love 9

IMG_0672.jpg.9a506ee0dcf2a86467871c70ffeb9459.jpgIMG_0674.jpg.ce0bec56527c07bc88c52a4817cd08f9.jpgThis my PulleyMaid.  My laundry room is small, but I think you get the idea.  It is actually called an "laundry airer" in case you look it up.  My slats are long enough to rest on the counter and the washer, but you are supposed to just tie it off while you put items on it and then just hoist it up to the ceiling to dry or store it.  I'm finding it very useful.

• Useful 7
  • Love 9

Would you all send thoughts/prayers for my brother's ex? She had breast cancer a few years ago and was doing well, but found out today that her cancer is back, stage 4 metastatic. 

They have three kids together and my heart is breaking for them. The divorce was nasty and unfortunately, my brother, much as he loves them, couldn't really handle being a full time parent. But her family would probably never let him see them again. So the whole situation is a huge mess. 

3 hours ago, beckie said:

Would you all send thoughts/prayers for my brother's ex? She had breast cancer a few years ago and was doing well, but found out today that her cancer is back, stage 4 metastatic. 

They have three kids together and my heart is breaking for them. The divorce was nasty and unfortunately, my brother, much as he loves them, couldn't really handle being a full time parent. But her family would probably never let him see them again. So the whole situation is a huge mess. 

I am so very sorry. What a terrible diagnosis. Keeping them in my thoughts, that she gets the best treatment available and stays pain free as long as possible. 

How old are their kids? 

• Love 5
4 hours ago, beckie said:

Of course. I am happy to pray for her health and the well being of the little ones. I will also pray for your brother. This might wake him up as a parent. 

• Love 6
7 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I am so very sorry. What a terrible diagnosis. Keeping them in my thoughts, that she gets the best treatment available and stays pain free as long as possible. 

How old are their kids? 

My niece is 13. My nephews, who are twins, are 11.

Edited by beckie
  • Love 1
On 9/1/2021 at 9:38 AM, Bewitched said:

We're pretty much cursing out loud these days.  

@Rootbeer - I actually helped deliver a baby last week in the ICU.  After intubation and cannulating the mom for VV ECMO.  Our 2nd unvaccinated mom in the same scenario in two weeks.  (The first one at least made it to the OR).  All 8 of our COVID patients right now are unvaccinated, 6 are on the vent.  We have another expectant mom who we are watching closely.  Her husband asked for ivermectin for her.  Luckily, I live in a county/state where no judge would be allowed to force me to administer it.

Can you explain what this means?

On 9/3/2021 at 5:30 PM, theredhead77 said:

Happening here, too. Either the National Guard or local state troopers (I forget which) have been deployed to protect vaccination sites. Some people working these sites have been doxxed and are getting death threats.

"Doxxed"?

11 hours ago, beckie said:

My niece is 13. My nephews, who are twins, are 11.

Still so young. I’m sure this is a lot of stress on them as well. You’re a good aunt to them, it’s good they have extended family thinking of them. 

• Love 5
7 hours ago, Leeds said:

After intubation and cannulating the mom for VV ECMO.

Can you explain what this means?

VV ECMO : Vein to vein (or venovenous) extracorporeal membrane oxygenation.

This is sort of like heart lung bypass but is used outside of the OR in patients whose lungs aren't working well enough to keep them properly oxygenated.  It is a last ditch effort in COVID in younger patients and often is used until a lung transplant can be found.  Lungs damaged that severely often cannot recover and a transplant is the final step. ECMO is reserved for patients who would otherwise die but are candidates for lung transplant should one become available.  Usually this means younger, overall healthier patients rather than those with a lot of other medical issues.

The tubes (or cannulas) for the ECMO are placed into large veins in the patient, often in the neck, sometimes in the legs.  Then, blood from the patient is pumped out and through a machine that puts oxygen into the blood before returning it to the patient, so it runs in a continuous cycle out of the patient into the machine and back.  Cannulation is the procedure in which the large cannulas are placed into the veins and usually sutured in place.  

Intubation refers to placing a tube through the patient's mouth and into the trachea to deliver oxygen to the lungs and also to suction the airway to keep it clear of mucus and debris since an intubated person cannot cough naturally.

In my practice, a 22 year old pregnant patient developed COVID and then pneumonia.  She had a cesarean and then was placed on ECMO in an effort to stabilize her in hopes of finding a lung transplant.  She was on it for about 3 weeks, her other organs shut down one by one and she was never stable enough for a transplant even if it had been found.  The baby didn't survive either.  Her risk factors?  Pregnancy and she was maybe 25 lbs overweight.  That's it.

Edited by Rootbeer
  • Useful 6
On 9/5/2021 at 6:07 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

I discovered this awesome old tune watching an old show called Doctor Finlay.  It’s set in Scotland in the 1940’s.  It’s a delightful series for those who enjoy British television. I couldn’t find the version on the show Season 4, episode 5, but this is a random person singing it.  Just a lovely song.  

I love that song, but the version by the Clancy Brothers has always been my favorite...Just so wistful and melancholy. The last refrain, when the harmonies come in, always gives me chills.

Irish Celtic Music - Carrickfergus - Clancy Brothers & Tommy Makem - YouTube

Guess I can't embed a video? I've tried a few ways and it doesn't seem to work. Worth looking up, though, IMO

Edited by Jynnan tonnix
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

I love that song, but the version by the Clancy Brothers has always been my favorite...Just so wistful and melancholy. The last refrain, when the harmonies come in, always gives me chills.

Irish Celtic Music - Carrickfergus - Clancy Brothers & Tommy Makem - YouTube

Can't seem to embed the video, but you can look it up.

Van Morrison and the Chieftains do a great version on their album Irish Heartbeat, too.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, CalicoKitty said:

I was rear-ended at a 4 way stop sign yesterday.  I immediately pulled over, and the woman followed and got out of her car.  She was so apologetic.  No damage to either car, but the hit was very loud.  She admitted to reaching for her Red Bull and wasn't paying attention.  Then she started crying.  Her son has terminal stage 4 cancer and  had  surgery that morning.  We talked for a little while, exchanged names and phone numbers, and then she calmed down and we parted ways.  My shoulder kind of hurt from the seat belt, but I went home and put ice on it, and I'm fine.  Today, the lady called to made sure I was still OK.  Her son had had a colostomy installed yesterday, and will take chemo with the hope he will have another 6-12 months.  He is 40 with 2 kids.  Yesterday was also her birthday.  I really feel sorry for her.  We talked for a little while, and I wished her well.

It was an odd way to meet a nice person, but I hope I was able to give her an ear when she needed it.  Meanwhile, both my car and I are fine.

So good of you to show such kindness. Your graciousness helped make a bad situation a little easier for this lady.

• Love 22

In your experience do men talk a lot about their feelings/gossip about others ? 

I seem to be the neighborhood therapist to my male neighbors. I don’t know how to avoid being drawn into these chats. I don’t want to know all the gossip. Sigh.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I shared this in the Pet thread but by golly. 

Cosmo and I came across an opossum this evening! By my back door! Cosmo saw it before me, I saw that big ass tail first. 

I also got him Fall themed toys. (The white thing is a mummy, I didn’t get a photo before he took possession). 

8B8070BB-2C32-40F6-8A90-F7C56B3ACD48.jpeg

D4423B8E-FCFC-4C36-B9C6-6013DD6D92A8.jpeg

7C28D93D-B460-4756-8C7B-469741D2A6DF.jpeg

8A3A08DE-1307-4170-A1CB-1557C1C9EBF1.jpeg

854C400E-0159-4180-810A-C92E07AADB90.jpeg

• Love 20
1 hour ago, CandyCaneTree said:

Does anyone know how I can petition TLC to make a new Duggar TV show? I want it to be called Smuggar the first hundred days in prison. 

A&E might be better for that, with all their prison lock-up shows.  Or Investigation Discovery, home of true-crime.

Personally, I'd much rather watch "World's Dumbest" take on Josh, or the snarkers of "90 Day Fiance Pillow Talk".  Or our own snarkers, for that matter.

(yes, I know it's a joke, but I'm serious about my last paragraph)

Edited by Fosca
  • Love 5
On 9/8/2021 at 6:31 PM, ginger90 said:

Saw this on Facebook, and I just can’t believe it. This agency is local to me.

66DDDD3E-2FE8-45CB-9D3B-73A64395FF83.jpeg

If I were hiring someone to come into my home for Home Health, I would insist to see and verify their vaccine card. After I had surgery, I had in home health care a couple of times a week. This was a year before Covid. They came through the hospital. I would still ask if it were today. 

• Love 8