Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

Did they finally confirm that they did use a surrogate? Someone went after Alec on Twitter about it and he told them to fuck off and mind their own business, which is pretty damned rich considering “Hilaria” is as big a SM famehog as they come.

At the shelter, we used to call people like this collectors. They loved a new puppy until they turned into a dog, at which point they got another puppy. It’s pathological. 

• Love 10
18 minutes ago, dargosmydaddy said:

Considering their youngest son is... five months old? That kind of points to she found out she was having another boy, had a melt-down, and arranged to have a surrogate daughter immediately. Except that seems like too fast a timeline for it to actually happen, and if she wanted another girl so badly, why not do gender selection with the previous pregnancy?* Either way I feel bad for the youngest son, being replaced as the baby of the family so quickly. Even the Duggars didn't have kids that close together! (Though maybe they would have if they could have...)

*Or maybe she did, previously? Didn't she have a miscarriage or two before the latest pregnancy? Would that type (I don't know what the term would be for a gender-selected implantation...) pregnancy be more prone to miscarriage, and she didn't want to try it again herself? But still... you couldn't slow your roll a little and wait until your baby is a little older before using the surrogate???

11 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

Did they finally confirm that they did use a surrogate? Someone went after Alec on Twitter about it and he told them to fuck off and mind their own business, which is pretty damned rich considering “Hilaria” is as big a SM famehog as they come.

At the shelter, we used to call people like this collectors. They loved a new puppy until they turned into a dog, at which point they got another puppy. It’s pathological. 

A "source" confirmed it. I didn't realize their last was only 5 months old, so unless its an unplanned adoption, it must be from a planned surrogacy. 

https://people.com/parents/hilaria-baldwin-shares-name-of-sixth-child-daughter-lucia/

• Love 2
(edited)

This is so messed up. It’s The Handmaid’s Tale, or how to be JRod, but without the Bible and not having to mess with your pert little figure by actually gestating a zillion kids.

At least these Baldwin kids will be rich and messed up, instead of dirt poor and messed up. They’ll be able to afford therapy. I guess that’s something. 🙄

Edited by Oldernowiser
  • Love 3
(edited)

A friend and I nearly lost our minds doing the math on this earlier this week. The Twitter memes about it were, dare I say, hilarious. 

I think Hilaria's got a bunch of screws loose. Pretty sure Alec does too. (Not because they got a surrogate but just because she seems like such a famewhore with a pathological fixation on being a Mommy influencer.)

Edited by Zella
  • Love 10
7 minutes ago, Zella said:

A friend and I nearly lost our minds doing the math on this earlier this week. The Twitter memes about it were, dare I say, hilarious. 

I think Hilaria's got a bunch of screws loose. Pretty sure Alec does too. (Not because they got a surrogate but just because she seems like such a famewhore with a pathological fixation on being a Mommy influencer.)

You said it nicer than what I was thinking, i.e., that I suppose it's better to be rich and batshit crazy, than poor and batshit crazy. Though it's awful for your kids either way. Sigh.

• Love 12
30 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

This is so messed up. It’s The Handmaiden’s Tale, or how to be JRod, but without the Bible and not having to mess with your pert little figure by actually gestating a zillion kids.

At least these Baldwin kids will be rich and messed up, instead of dirt poor and messed up. They’ll be able to afford therapy. I guess that’s something. 🙄

I doubt they will be rich for long. They have too many kids and too many nannies. Imagine their monthly expenses. They are not shopping at the dollar tree. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, QuinnInND said:

Thank you! I can't believe how old I am now! My tiny humans sang happy birthday to me today, and my husband and kids made me breakfast this morning. Good day so far! 

Happy Birthday! 🎈

• Love 7
On 7/21/2020 at 2:35 PM, CherryMalotte said:

I think everybody knows how I feel about my parental units.   While I appreciate being here I still feel sorry for my mom, she wasn't equipped to be a mother, and I'm so not going into why my male dna donor shouldn't have bothered either.  But it was the 60's, and was expected that they should have had a baby, and here I am, still working out my feelings about the both of them....or at least her,  the him I could give a shit less about.  Will say though that even without meaning to parents can be very destructive to their kids, and we as their children do need to step back and occasionally throw them a bone.  Doesn't mean we are obligated to love them or even talk to them.  We don't owe parents anything, and I certainly don't expect my Mini Malotte (who was very much wanted) to be obligated to me.   I'm grateful for some of the gifts she bestowed on me, and miss my mom terribly at times, but we don't owe them anything.

Oy vey, in laws!  Yeah I'm gonna stop right there...no one would believe the stories I can tell.

I can believe.  My mother- in- law was so bad to people, they threw a block party when she moved.  Now, in my old age, I’m so sorry I was so nice to her as she was a Monster.

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Happy Birthday, @QuinnInND! Don't worry, if you still have tiny humans, you are nowhere near old!

I feel like it. Lol I'm 39 today. And as long as I teach kindergarten, I'll always have tiny humans.  😂

• LOL 1
  • Love 10
3 hours ago, QuinnInND said:

I feel like it. Lol I'm 39 today. And as long as I teach kindergarten, I'll always have tiny humans.  😂

Happy Birthday! 🎉🎂  🥳 I hope it’s been nice!  I loved being age 39...so much so that I stayed 39 for about five years.  Lol. 

• Love 6

Happy birthday, @QuinnInND!

Random question for anyone who's had a cavity filled recently....was it standard procedure to have a numbing gel applied to your gums before getting the Novocain shot? I had my very first cavity filled this morning, which I was really dreading. I'm 38 and have never had a cavity before now, and it was a very unpleasant surprise. Everything I read online about the standard cavity procedure mentioned a topical numbing gel would be applied to the gums to lessen the pain of the Novocain shot, so I went in this morning fully expecting this.  But as I'm sitting in the chair the dentist suddenly comes at me with what I swear was a 10-inch long needle and said, "open up!" With no real lead up or discussion about what he was going to do...one minute he's chatting about the weather and the next the giant needle is in  my face. I kind of freaked out and said, "aren't you going to numb my gums first or something??" He seemed really bemused and said, "well, I mean, I can, if that's what you prefer." And I'm thinking, who in their right mind WOULDN'T prefer to have the sting of a massive needle to the mouth deadened as much as possible??

So, I got the numbing gel, but I still can't believe it wasn't offered or discussed from the get-go (and he seemed to have it right there with the supplies, as I don't even remember him getting up to get it, but maybe he did, because I was rather panicked by that point, as I'm very needle-phobic).

And I swear, it felt like that needle went all the way to my skull even with the numbing gel. I'm going to feel the need to brush my teeth five times a day to ensure this never happens again!! 😭

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, thehorseofpower said:

Happy birthday, @QuinnInND!

Random question for anyone who's had a cavity filled recently....was it standard procedure to have a numbing gel applied to your gums before getting the Novocain shot? I had my very first cavity filled this morning, which I was really dreading. I'm 38 and have never had a cavity before now, and it was a very unpleasant surprise. Everything I read online about the standard cavity procedure mentioned a topical numbing gel would be applied to the gums to lessen the pain of the Novocain shot, so I went in this morning fully expecting this.  But as I'm sitting in the chair the dentist suddenly comes at me with what I swear was a 10-inch long needle and said, "open up!" With no real lead up or discussion about what he was going to do...one minute he's chatting about the weather and the next the giant needle is in  my face. I kind of freaked out and said, "aren't you going to numb my gums first or something??" He seemed really bemused and said, "well, I mean, I can, if that's what you prefer." And I'm thinking, who in their right mind WOULDN'T prefer to have the sting of a massive needle to the mouth deadened as much as possible??

So, I got the numbing gel, but I still can't believe it wasn't offered or discussed from the get-go (and he seemed to have it right there with the supplies, as I don't even remember him getting up to get it, but maybe he did, because I was rather panicked by that point, as I'm very needle-phobic).

And I swear, it felt like that needle went all the way to my skull even with the numbing gel. I'm going to feel the need to brush my teeth five times a day to ensure this never happens again!! 😭

I've always gotten my gums numbed before I get the novacaine shot. 

• Love 5
13 minutes ago, thehorseofpower said:

Random question for anyone who's had a cavity filled recently....was it standard procedure to have a numbing gel applied to your gums before getting the Novocain shot?

I’ve spent the last couple of years taking care of a lot of long standing dental issues. Everything from root planing to cavity replacement to a crown. ALWAYS numbing gel, no matter what location is being worked on, no matter if it’s just one shot.

It’s usually a dental tech/assistant who places the swab with the topical anesthetic ahead of time. 

• Love 4
(edited)

My take on numbing gel.  First, maybe they have improved it in the last several years, IDK, but that’s when I last had it.  In my lifetime I’ve had 3 cavities, plus cosmetic dental procedures over the course of a year. I got veneers on my top teeth.   I’ve had injections with numbing gel and without. Imo, it doesn’t really help.  The gel numbs the outside, but the needle is on the inside.  The best technique is for the dentist to place his finger on another part of your gum and wiggle it while he injects elsewhere. It’s like a distraction.  That helps a lot and it’s better than the gel.  The same goes for the numbing gel they apply to your face before Botox or fillers.....I stopped getting the gel applied first because it doesn’t help.  Also, Botox and fillers are  MUCH more painful than gum needle pain.  And, I have a high pain tolerance...or so I’ve been told by a couple of dentists and doctors.  Lol  

This reminds me how much I need a cleaning. I’ve avoided due to covid.  Soon....I hope. And, I’m going to treat myself to some Botox before too long.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 10

Whoa, strange that I'm reading posts about dentistry here this evening. Because today I finally called my dentist's office and scheduled a cleaning which is only overdue by, oh, 14 months. (I had a cleaning scheduled for mid-January last year, then cancelled it when I was going to be out of state helping a relative. I didn't get around to rescheduling it when I got home, and then, of course, the pandemic.)

I've learned to just close my eyes when I'm in the dental chair and an injection is about to be given. I don't want to get even a glimpse of that needle. I think they've used numbing gel and I could feel that I was getting an injection but I don't recall that it was painful, just not particularly pleasant.

Now that I've been vaccinated, I not only scheduled the toof care, I've also scheduled an eye exam which is also a year overdue. Regular maintenance is being resumed. I am incredibly grateful that I have slid through the past year without developing any serious health problems or suffering any injuries. I'm just stupid lucky, that's all. 

• Love 14

Fortunately, at the very beginning of 2020 I had my teeth cleaned, an annual physical, and my hair cut really short. Who knew.

HOWEVER. My hair is now down to my shoulders and is a wavy, frizzy mess. But it seems stupid to take risks NOW after being insanely careful for an entire year. I look like hell, NGL.

I don’t care about restaurants, theatres, parties, or shopping...I would, however, KILL for a haircut. 

• LOL 6
  • Love 8
16 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

Fortunately, at the very beginning of 2020 I had my teeth cleaned, an annual physical, and my hair cut really short. Who knew.

HOWEVER. My hair is now down to my shoulders and is a wavy, frizzy mess. But it seems stupid to take risks NOW after being insanely careful for an entire year. I look like hell, NGL.

I don’t care about restaurants, theatres, parties, or shopping...I would, however, KILL for a haircut. 

I was scheduled to have my hair cut and my teeth cleaned in March of 2020, and to visit my dad in April. I last got my teeth cleaned in October of 2019 and my hair cut in January of 2020. My A-line bob is now a ponytail. I miss restaurants, lunch with my bestie, hosting holidays, getting my teeth cleaned, and seeing my dad and sister. But Zoom is pretty low-resolution so there is no point in risking a haircut. On the bright side, I never would have guessed "pandemic" as the thing that would get me to stop coloring my hair. This is the first time I've seen my natural color since I was 19 years old (so like 37 years). My husband bought a clipper and is thinking of asking me to buzz off his hair for his birthday in several weeks.

• Love 9
6 hours ago, QuinnInND said:

@QuinnInND:  Let this retired kindergarten teacher wish you a very happy birthday!!  Unfortunately, my tiny humans never got the chance to sing happy birthday to me, because my birthday is in August.  
I do miss some of my tiny humans, though.  It’s the big humans that make the insane rules that I don’t miss 😊.  

May you have many more happy birthdays !!

• Love 8

Happy Birthday, @QuinnInND

37 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

Whoa, strange that I'm reading posts about dentistry here this evening. Because today I finally called my dentist's office and scheduled a cleaning which is only overdue by, oh, 14 months. (I had a cleaning scheduled for mid-January last year, then cancelled it when I was going to be out of state helping a relative. I didn't get around to rescheduling it when I got home, and then, of course, the pandemic.)

I've learned to just close my eyes when I'm in the dental chair and an injection is about to be given. I don't want to get even a glimpse of that needle. I think they've used numbing gel and I could feel that I was getting an injection but I don't recall that it was painful, just not particularly pleasant.

Now that I've been vaccinated, I not only scheduled the toof care, I've also scheduled an eye exam which is also a year overdue. Regular maintenance is being resumed. I am incredibly grateful that I have slid through the past year without developing any serious health problems or suffering any injuries. I'm just stupid lucky, that's all. 

I haven't had a dental cleaning in over a year as well--was supposed to have one at the end of February 2020 but I was sick coming back from Disney and had just started the antibiotic for the ear infection. It was rescheduled to March and lo and behold the lockdowns. They did try to get me to come in before I moved in July but I hate going to the dentist if I have an excuse I'm gonna use it.

I have very, very tight teeth so I've had the numbing agent while they are cleaning/scraping. (It's so crowded in there the hygienist is all don't yank the floss out and then she has to yank the floss out. Which is when I point out that is why I prefer the water flossers instead) I've had the shot without the numbing agent and a shot with the numbing but I agree with the person who said it helps if the dentist is good about distracting. And, as I said, I hate going to the dentist so when I had to have two wisdom teeth out (the bottom ones are too close to the nerve and since they don't hurt, no reason to take the chance) they put me under. It was wonderful. 

I got a haircut in June just after Massachusetts opened up. I'm not getting a hair cut in TX until I'm vaccinated but holy cow could I use one. We got clippers for my husband and son and it's worked out well. Mr. Toast did it himself this weekend and went waaaay shorter than I had and shaved off his beard. Our daughter (15) was so astonished she burst out laughing. And now every time she sees him she busts out laughing. It's pretty funny. 

• LOL 8
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, thehorseofpower said:

I'm going to feel the need to brush my teeth five times a day to ensure this never happens again!! 😭

Someone here ( @Nysha maybe?) last year recommended one of those Ultrasonic electric toothbrushes. My inner cheapskate found a lesser brand on Amazon and honestly, it’s amazing. It runs for two minutes, pausing every 30 seconds to remind you to switch quadrants, and it’s done a great job.

I’m what hygienists politely call “a real tartar factory” and no matter how much flossing and brushing with a regular toothbrush I did, invariably I’d sit in the chair, she’d look in my mouth, sigh loudly, and get out the jackhammer, extra large. This thing seems to be helping to keep things much more under control. I even bought Mr. Wiser one...which he is actually using. Highly recommend!

• Useful 1
  • Love 11
(edited)

Thank you all for the birthday wishes! I had a great day. Topped off with dinner at our favorite restaurant (socially distanced - the nearest fellow eaters were far away) and a nice glass of wine and chocolate cheesecake for dessert. I've been thinking a lot about my life lately. Been a wild ride, that's for sure. A friend at work asked me what was my most memorable birthday. Hard to pick one. My first one after I left home (my 15th) sticks out for lots of reasons. My first one with my husband after I left the life is another. Here's to at least 39 more! 

Edited by QuinnInND
  • Love 18

I was finally able to go to my long-time hair dresser today for a cut.  He gave me a "look" when I walked in, and I had to confess that I had been cutting it myself since I had seen him last.  He said it really needed help, and it felt so good to walk out of there with a correct hair cut.  He was nice, and didn't laugh or anything, but he did point out that my hair was "too tall" and an odd shape.  Hey, I did my best.  Tough times call for tough measures.

• LOL 2
  • Love 8

I’m glad you had such a nice  birthday. Sounds lovely.

I’ve colored and cut my own hair since covid and so far it’s going well.    I do need a good pair of scissors though.  I got out the scissors to give myself a trim recently  and they were too dull to cut the hair! Isn’t that pitiful?  Lol

I had to post this because it’s such a funny and lucky thing to happen.  A friend gave me his 3 in one copier/printer/scanner about 6 years ago and I used it at my home office. I used to go to my real office a lot more before covid. It worked okay at first, but then the scanner and copier stopped working. I tried everything to fix it. Finally gave up and bought a new 3 in one. Sat the old printer in the corner where it sat idle for years. When I started renovations on my house I took it there, because the  printer did work. I kept trying to get it to work, reinstalling....then Monday night I found this blog. A guy had the exact same problem. He had tried  it all. Nothing worked. He said he got so frustrated that he picked up one end of the thing about 6 inches up and dropped it onto the table.  Then same thing to other end.  And it fixed it!  Amazingly, about 10 other people said they tried it and it worked for them too!  I thought this was bogus, but got out of bed and tried it........IT WORKED!!  The guy speculated that something gets jammed and the dropping helps shock it loose....lol.   So, if you have a malfunctioning printer.....lol.  

• Useful 2
  • LOL 16
  • Love 1

The cops came 3 times tonight for the same apartment. The guy keeps screaming she hits me. Seriously what is wrong with people. She is 60 plus and on the third time got arrested again. 

Good night to all. Especially the abused guy.

8 minutes ago, iwantcookies said:

The cops came 3 times tonight for the same apartment. The guy keeps screaming she hits me. Seriously what is wrong with people. She is 60 plus and on the third time got arrested again. 

Good night to all. Especially the abused guy.

Are they drinking and/or drugging? Why do they keep letting her go? 

• Love 2
(edited)
10 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Are they drinking and/or drugging? Why do they keep letting her go? 

NYC has a no bail policy. She will out in the morning.

I don’t know if they are on drugs/drinking.

Recent story. A “mother” abandoned her 4 year old in the street at night and was released in 4 days. 

Basically the criminals can do what they want.  There is no punishment. 

Edited by iwantcookies
9 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

No bail? That's crazy. The husband needs to press charges and keep her locked up.

I don’t know if it’s her husband or son never seen the male. Guess they are not pressing charges. They have a 2 bedroom so you’d think there is space to stay apart.

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, iwantcookies said:

NYC has a no bail policy. She will out in the morning.

I don’t know if they are on drugs/drinking.

Recent story. A “mother” abandoned her 4 year old in the street at night and was released in 4 days. 

Basically the criminals can do what they want.  There is no punishment. 

The mother is homeless so life on the streets may be worse than being  in jail.

9 hours ago, Oldernowiser said:

Are you me?

I need a cut so bad, but the one time during the pandemic either one of us got sick, it was my husband who came down with a (minor) cold ... ~2 days after getting his hair cut. The salon we both use had been doing social distancing, having people wash their own hair before they came in, masking. But ... while they weren't drying people's hair with blowdryers, they were apparently (according to him) still using the blowdryers to clean/move hair on the floor (like a leafblower). (!) I haven't really kept up with "beauty salon transmission risk", but using something like that, which moves the air around without a good/HEPA style filter in the mix, just seemed really dumb. Plus, he is 100% telecommute and rarely leaves the house otherwise. 

Absolutely no judgement on salons in general, people who are getting their haircuts, etc., just a single anecdotal experience. My hair is thick and coarse and takes forever to cut, so I'm usually there for at least an hour. 

If I could get someone to cut my hair outdoors right now I would. 

• Love 8