Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

5 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Yeah, a buzzer goes off with a successful strike (parry? I don't know fencing lingo). 

Epee is about as far as I go (sorry, don't know how to do the accent aigu!).

Edited by Leeds
Punctuation
  • Love 1

I LOVE the Olympics....winter and summer. I become a sports fanatic every four years. I can’t wait for this summer’s, even though it will be so different. I feel so sorry for the athletes who will not be allowed to have the real Olympics experience. But at least they will get to compete. And yes, gymnastics and ice skating are my favorites, altho I also enjoy watching most of the other events. 

• Love 6

in the spirit of changing subjects again, is anyone here that is interested in genealogy currently 'attending' roots-tech? its an online convention of speakers on jillions (means many) of subjects that pertain to genealogy. i am learning a lot about different programs and research techniques. 

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, Love2dance said:

I LOVE the Olympics....winter and summer. I become a sports fanatic every four years. I can’t wait for this summer’s, even though it will be so different. I feel so sorry for the athletes who will not be allowed to have the real Olympics experience. But at least they will get to compete. And yes, gymnastics and ice skating are my favorites, altho I also enjoy watching most of the other events. 

Do we need a new "prayer closet" forum for Olympics 2021? (I still can't get me head around 2021 - my four times table will never be the same again.)

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
13 minutes ago, zoomama said:

in the spirit of changing subjects again, is anyone here that is interested in genealogy currently 'attending' roots-tech? its an online convention of speakers on jillions (means many) of subjects that pertain to genealogy. i am learning a lot about different programs and research techniques. 

I meant to look into that, but it's been a hard work week and I haven't yet! I don't know if it's too late.

1 hour ago, emmawoodhouse said:

I'm sure there will be an Olympics thread in the Sports forum. 

Yeah, I know, but going to the sports forum makes me feel that I should care more about sports than I actually do.  Plus, I like to stay close to home with familiar virtual family members!

Edited by Leeds
  • Love 1

When my step-father was alive he loved the World Series. It usually happened around his birthday. I’m not into baseball, but I’d study up a bit on the teams playing. I’d fly up to visit him (and my Mom who disliked it) and would sit in the den and watch the games with him while discussing players, teams and the plays they made. I have never watched it since his death, but I’d gleefully go to watch it with him if he was still alive. It’s the quality time we spent together and he looked forward to having his watching partner every year. It’s a good memory. 
   Add me to the list of Olympics watchers. I enjoy the figure skating and used to like the skiing. 

• Love 20
23 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

When my step-father was alive he loved the World Series. It usually happened around his birthday. I’m not into baseball, but I’d study up a bit on the teams playing. I’d fly up to visit him (and my Mom who disliked it) and would sit in the den and watch the games with him while discussing players, teams and the plays they made. I have never watched it since his death, but I’d gleefully go to watch it with him if he was still alive. It’s the quality time we spent together and he looked forward to having his watching partner every year. It’s a good memory. 
   Add me to the list of Olympics watchers. I enjoy the figure skating and used to like the skiing. 

How wonderful of you to do that for and with your step-father.  It gave you those special memories,  relieved your mom from having to do something she possibly would not have enjoyed much, and most importantly made your step-father very happy, I am sure! 

• Love 8
12 hours ago, rue721 said:

When men send dick pics, I think they just get off on the idea of a woman seeing their dick. Like men who expose themselves on the subway. Forcing women to see their dick is an end in itself 🙄

I agree that this is the reason. They do it for themselves. Guys who do this enjoy making a woman uncomfortable, imo. You know it doesn't really matter how old or married you are. Men will inflict themselves on you, at least online. I get dudes every day wanting to be my "friend" on Instagram. Their goal may be to sell me something. Who knows? Just yesterday I commented on a beautiful home in an Old Houses Group on FB and some idiot dude tagged me and replied, Hi and how is the weather in your neck of the woods? He wasn't the OP,  just a jerk looking for a victim. Same thing on twitter. If they DM me, I block 'em. It was catcalls back in the day when I was a sweet young thing. Some men are just pigs. Frankly, it gets old!

I found out this morning that my sister's husband passed away yesterday. I think he just collapsed and went quickly. I feel terrible for her. She's been through so much, battling lung cancer a couple of years back. Her health is still iffy. She will have great difficulty living alone. She has a lovely daughter, who would take her in, but my niece's house is not set up for my sister's health issues. And selling her own house would be difficult for her. She has wonderful neighbors who look out for her, so leaving her neighborhood is probably not what she would want. She doesn't like to be alone. I love my sister so much and I'm so sad about what she going through. Sigh. I guess we will have to wait and see how it all shakes out. 😞

• Love 3
18 hours ago, CouchTater said:

Hi all.   I hope everyone's having a good Thursday.

I posted here last summer about my 2 newly adopted cats (Ivy [no relation to Ivy Seewald] and Willa).  We have all integrated well.  Yesterday I introduced them to videos for cats on Youtube.  They are pretty obsessed with them now.  In the first attached pic, I had to yield 3/4's of my desk to them so they could watch their "show" while I tried to work.  Since I'm currently working from home (thanks COVID), it was not convenient.  I eventually remembered that the TV in the room also has Youtube access, so I moved them over there (pic 2).  They're fun and funny.  🙂

Cats2.jpg

Cats 3.jpg

I wonder if Blake would like this! I will try it out! Thank you.

I am going to expand Cosmo's bandana collection- I fully acknowledge that this is for ME and not the dog, because he could care less and I just think its pretty to look at. I want something fashionable, and masculine. I am going to get him a green one when I go out this week in honor of spring/St Patrick's day. And when Halloween comes I will go ALL OUT, but here is something I found on Amazon

• LOL 6
  • Love 7

I love sports, with a couple exceptions. NBA, Boxing, golf, MMA, wrestling, I can't stand. Love the Olympics. When I was pregnant with the twins, and I was bedridden, I found curling that was on and not during the Olympics. It's actually interesting. I enjoyed it. And college football is very big in our family. My husband went to Texas A&M, and was in the band, so he was with the football team all the time. Saturday afternoons are football time for us. 

• Love 8

It's been a bit of a mess this week getting used to going back to in person learning, but we've made it. The biggest hurdle has been because my son isn't back in in person school yet, so my husband has had to stay home with him. Fortunately, he can work from home but still. My son goes back on the 16th of March. 

Here come my tiny humans! 

Have a great day everyone! 

• Love 13

@Scarlett45 You should check out the pet thread. There is a dog there named Alli. She has a bandana for every season and holiday. It’s so fun to see what she is wearing. Her owners name is Bosawks. 

1 hour ago, BetyBee said:

Same thing on twitter.

Stick to cat Twitter. We (the cats and I) are on there and I have met so many nice kitties and many helpful owners. We have parties, events and a good time. It is one of my happy places. 

• Love 10

Morning everybody!  The sun is shining brightly and the icicles are dripping off the roof.  Will be glad to see the now dirty looking snow gone!

Today I call and negotiate the phone, internet and cable company.  I hate it but I've put it off to long so onward and upward!

Have a wonderful day wherever you may be and whatever you are doing!

• Love 7
25 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

@Scarlett45 You should check out the pet thread. There is a dog there named Alli. She has a bandana for every season and holiday. It’s so fun to see what she is wearing. Her owners name is Bosawks. 

I do venture into the Pet thread, I will spend more time there, thanks!

• Love 6
11 hours ago, Leeds said:

Epee is about as far as I go (sorry, don't know how to do the accent aigu!).

Same here...and the only reason I even know that is because it seems to show up in what seems like 80% of all crossword puzzles ever devised.

Edited by Jynnan tonnix
  • LOL 4
  • Love 6

@BetyBee sorry to read about your BIL. 

speaking of pesty men, I play Words with Friends and occasionally accept the random opponent. Mostly play with actual friends but most of them don’t play every day. About half the time if the random opponent is a guy, they start to try and engage you in a conversation. At that point I leave the game since I don’t need or want that. I have never had a female try to engage. It just seems yucky that one can’t even play an online game without being bothered.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, BetyBee said:

I agree that this is the reason. They do it for themselves. Guys who do this enjoy making a woman uncomfortable, imo. You know it doesn't really matter how old or married you are. Men will inflict themselves on you, at least online. I get dudes every day wanting to be my "friend" on Instagram. Their goal may be to sell me something. Who knows? Just yesterday I commented on a beautiful home in an Old Houses Group on FB and some idiot dude tagged me and replied, Hi and how is the weather in your neck of the woods? He wasn't the OP,  just a jerk looking for a victim. Same thing on twitter. If they DM me, I block 'em. It was catcalls back in the day when I was a sweet young thing. Some men are just pigs. Frankly, it gets old!

I found out this morning that my sister's husband passed away yesterday. I think he just collapsed and went quickly. I feel terrible for her. She's been through so much, battling lung cancer a couple of years back. Her health is still iffy. She will have great difficulty living alone. She has a lovely daughter, who would take her in, but my niece's house is not set up for my sister's health issues. And selling her own house would be difficult for her. She has wonderful neighbors who look out for her, so leaving her neighborhood is probably not what she would want. She doesn't like to be alone. I love my sister so much and I'm so sad about what she going through. Sigh. I guess we will have to wait and see how it all shakes out. 😞

I am so sorry to hear about your BIL's passing. I am glad though he didnt suffer.

Yeah the dick pic thing- unless the woman asked for it, sending it is just rude. Sliding into DMs and friend requests from strangers is just a 21st century version of cat calling. Unless you are on a website specifically for dating/hooking up, thats just rude.

• Love 6
23 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Same here...and the only reason I even know that is because it seems to show up in what seems like 80% of all crossword puzzles ever devised.

All those helpful ees!  "ee"s?

• Love 3
40 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

I am so sorry to hear about your BIL's passing. I am glad though he didnt suffer.

Yeah the dick pic thing- unless the woman asked for it, sending it is just rude. Sliding into DMs and friend requests from strangers is just a 21st century version of cat calling. Unless you are on a website specifically for dating/hooking up, thats just rude.

Unfortunately, the cat calling is also still happening. 

8 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

Unfortunately, the cat calling is also still happening. 

Yes even with the masks on, but one good thing about this pandemic and WFH is that I am out in public less and get approached by creepy dudes less.

• Love 5

I got the second dose of the Covid vaccine yesterday morning and y'all, it kicked my ass. I was fine all day and then around 9:00pm, I started feeling awful. It was like I had the flu--fever, chills, nausea, full body aches, a headache bordering on a migraine. My fever broke around 5:00am and I'm slowly starting to feel better. I have autoimmune thyroid disease so my immune system tends to overreact and be a drama queen, but damn, it was rough. But I'd rather have 12 hours of misery than get Covid, so I'm glad it's done.

Continuing the dick pic topic, a friend of mine used to use dating apps and would get random pics from gross men. She would always respond by sending back a pic of an even bigger dick, which freaked out most of the men who started it. It was entertaining, but it's sad that some men think it's fine to do something like that or care so little about women that a dick pic is their move. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 19
1 hour ago, emma675 said:

I got the second dose of the Covid vaccine yesterday morning and y'all, it kicked my ass. I was fine all day and then around 9:00pm, I started feeling awful. It was like I had the flu--fever, chills, nausea, full body aches, a headache bordering on a migraine. My fever broke around 5:00am and I'm slowly starting to feel better. I have autoimmune thyroid disease so my immune system tends to overreact and be a drama queen, but damn, it was rough. But I'd rather have 12 hours of misery than get Covid, so I'm glad it's done.

Continuing the dick pic topic, a friend of mine used to use dating apps and would get random pics from gross men. She would always respond by sending back a pic of an even bigger dick, which freaked out most of the men who started it. It was entertaining, but it's sad that some men think it's fine to do something like that or care so little about women that a dick pic is their move. 

So sorry it got you. Glad the symptoms subsided fairly quickly.

Today is the day for me. Husband I are getting our 1st dose this afternoon!

• Love 16
15 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

Just wanted to add that I am also a proud IU grad (1999). I still love to watch them play even though they have been terrible lately.  Bloomington still feels like home after all these years. I loved it there. My oldest just verbally committed to a school and I am a little bit sad she won’t be going to IU. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

getting our 1st dose this afternoon!

I just got mine. It was so well organized and ran smoothly. Since it’s the first I'm not expecting any side effects. Good luck to your husband and you Gee Golly. 

• Love 9
15 hours ago, Leeds said:

Isn't it all electronic these days?

It is electronic but even though the electronics identifies the hit, it still can be hard to see when it happens.

15 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

That's a type of sword, if I'm not mistaken. Perhaps @jcbrown can verify? 😃

Epee, saber, and foil are the fencing weapons, yes. Each has a different legal target area.

15 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

They're the thin, bendy ones. 😃

Actually, epee is heavier than a foil, which is the really thin bendy one. Also useful for getting cat toys out from under furniture, FYI.

• LOL 10
  • Love 1
10 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I just got mine. It was so well organized and ran smoothly. Since it’s the first I'm not expecting any side effects. Good luck to your husband and you Gee Golly. 

My body must go "crazy" when I get a vaccine. Years ago, I got a flu shot and was sick for days. I know the shot didn't make me sick, but the timing was such that I never got another flu shot - figured I would take my chances. I wasn't so willing to gamble with Covid and received my first vaccine (Pfizer brand) yesterday evening. I woke up with a sore arm, which I knew was a frequently reported side effect. However, as the day has progressed, I am so tired and achy. Have an errand I must do, then a hot bath and to bed. Still better than getting Covid and as I said my body just reacts differently I guess.  Please everyone get your vaccines when you can. I know first hand from my sister what Covid can do and it is horrible. Take care everyone !

• Love 15

For those of you who have gotten your Covid doses, keep your arm moving to help with the soreness. It seems to help work the soreness out faster somehow. I could barely lift my arm above my shoulder for the first 24 hours after each shot, but it got better faster the more I moved it around. 

I'm finally feeling almost normal after my long night from the second dose. I'm just slightly achy, like I worked out too hard yesterday (haha), but no more fever or headache. I'm treating myself to a large haul of bath bombs from Lush to reward myself and just planning to lay around all weekend. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 14
29 minutes ago, emma675 said:

For those of you who have gotten your Covid doses, keep your arm moving to help with the soreness. It seems to help work the soreness out faster somehow. I could barely lift my arm above my shoulder for the first 24 hours after each shot, but it got better faster the more I moved it around. 

I'm finally feeling almost normal after my long night from the second dose. I'm just slightly achy, like I worked out too hard yesterday (haha), but no more fever or headache. I'm treating myself to a large haul of bath bombs from Lush to reward myself and just planning to lay around all weekend. 

Sorry to hear you got hit hard with symptoms but so happy you have the immunity.  

Pamper yourself!

• Love 10

I got my first vaccine yesterday.  The injection site was slightly sore, and I was somewhat tired afterwards.  Later, I had a bad headache, but I’m not sure if it was due to the vaccine or just a regular headache for me.  All in all, a much better experience than getting COVID.

Kudos to the staff at Walgreens!  They even had a separate room to administer the shots...

• Love 18

For those of you eligible and trying to get the vaccine, just be open to a bit of traveling. In my county there were none available. My daughter lives two counties upstate and she told me of openings. That’s where I had mine today. It was an easy 50 minute drive, the people running it couldn’t have been nicer and really it was no hassle. Goodness knows how long I would have had to wait if I was only open to getting it here in my town. I have also heard some horror stories (I have not verified this info and am dubious). One person I know told me that Walgreens wanted a $125 deposit to guarantee her a spot for the vaccine. I was unable to establish if she had to pay more for the vaccine itself. This might just be her excuse as to why she is avoiding it. Being on Medicare I did sign a form allowing the health dept to charge $17 for the administration of the jab. Worth every penny. I have heard from others that you had to be Preferred Members to get it...again a drug store chain. Be careful where you get it. It should be free with a nominal charge to Medicare or your insurance to pay for the equipment and personnel giving it to you. Thank goodness the J&J vaccine is rolling out and more of us will have the opportunity to get it. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 9
13 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

One person I know told me that Walgreens wanted a $125 deposit to guarantee her a spot for the vaccine. 

I got my vaccine yesterday at a Walgreens about 20 miles from my home.  I picked that location because I thought they probably had a parking lot.  I was not asked for a deposit, and the people at the store could not have been nicer.  In fact, the  health care provider who gave me the shot remarked about the distance I had traveled.  I told her I came because they had vaccines available and I didn’t want to travel 450 miles to upstate NY for one.

I am on Medicare, too.

Edited by marypat57
add information
  • Love 11
10 minutes ago, marypat57 said:

I got my vaccine yesterday at a Walgreens about 20 miles from my home.  I picked that location because I thought they probably had a parking lot.  I was not asked for a deposit, and the people at the store could not have been nicer.  In fact, the  health care provider who gave me the shot remarked about the distance I had traveled.  I told her I came because they had vaccines available and I didn’t want to travel 450 miles to upstate NY for one.

I am on Medicare, too.

Like I hoped to convey, I doubt the validity of the excuse this person used as to why she was not getting the vaccine. I’m pleased for you that you were able to find one without having to make a full days trek. 
   I spoke to one of the National Guardsmen who was working at the site I went to. He traveled farther than I had an uttered not one complaint. All of the people who seem to be working at these clinics (maybe not the best word, but you know what I mean) are so kind and helpful. Kudos to them for doing this for all of us. 
  PS I did give my vaccinator a laugh. I’m scared of injections. She said something about “here you are” and I answered yes, Chicken Little is here. She laughed with me and it went smoothly. I barely felt it and that gives me a lot more confidence facing more in the future. 

• Love 13
6 hours ago, jcbrown said:

Actually, epee is heavier than a foil, which is the really thin bendy one. Also useful for getting cat toys out from under furniture, FYI.

Sounds good.  Actually that's what I thought golf clubs were made to do.  I might have found a few in the garage.

3 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I feel like I'm now part of a special club! First dose done! 💪🏽

We'll be starting the second dose club, too.  I get the second one next week and we have a few others already.

• Love 11
44 minutes ago, Absolom said:

We'll be starting the second dose club, too.  I get the second one next week and we have a few others already.

I'll join that one on March 15th. My MIL will join that one on the 12th of March. 

• Love 7

I’m in the second dose club along with hubby. My daughter participated in a vaccine trial so hopefully she is set and my son got his first 2 weeks ago and in 2 weeks gets the second. Very happy Ozzie family. 

• Love 11
15 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Was at the local CVS picking up an Rx for the MIL this morning. They have their vaccination station all set up. When my time comes, at least I will be in walking distance. Yay! 

Hopefully that will be soon! 

• Love 5