Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

It really makes my heart happy that so many of us are being vaccinated!

It's been a rough year for everybody.  I have children, grandchildren, friends and neighbors all with different obstacles they have faced this year.

Everything that happened was magnified by the isolation we all felt.  We are a social people.

It's been almost one year...a whole year in which for each one of us our life changed in some way.

God bless those wonderful labs and lab people that were able to develop vaccines!

My heart is happier than its been in a long time!

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Absolom said:

Sounds good.  Actually that's what I thought golf clubs were made to do.  I might have found a few in the garage.

I do keep a putter upstairs to get cat toys out from under the dresser. Better use than I ever made of it playing golf.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 5
  • Love 2

Spoke to an aquantance and she is 30, lives in TX and got both doses of the vaccine already.

I am in NY and doubt I will get it in September... 

Oh the reason she is friendly to me... she wants to move back to NY and live with me rent free... my unluck with friends continues... 

5 minutes ago, iwantcookies said:

Spoke to an aquantance and she is 30, lives in TX and got both doses of the vaccine already.

Oh the reason she is friendly to me... she wants to move back to NY and live with me rent free... my unluck with friends continues... 

Does she have a health condition? Because otherwise Texas is only offering vaccines to those 65+.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

A friend of mine is scheduled for surgery before her second dose! She says she thinks it's fine. The doctor says the surgery only takes a day to recover from.  She has her second dose a week later.  The good news is that her condition is not life-threatening. 

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, QuinnInND said:

I've got the best husband ever. He took the day off, and cleaned the house, did all the laundry, vacuumed and put food in the slow cooker for tonight. I came home to a clean house that smells wonderful.  I'm the luckiest girl in the world.

You are! I’m so happy for you! You deserve it!

• Love 3

I'm about 12 hours post vaccine. I actually have been experiencing some very mild symptoms. Restless night due to some all over achiness, a dull headache and mild nausea after drinking my morning coffee. The injection site is mildly sore, but what's odd is my arm is a little tender down to just past my elbow. My neck on that side is also stiff, but I'm guessing that might be due to all the tossing and turning overnight.

Rumor in my little world is folks who have had covid sometimes have first shot reactions. In the beginning of April I thought maybe I had covid, but chalked it up to being hit hard with Spring allergies. This mild, first shot reaction, has me wondering again.

• Useful 2
2 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Rumor in my little world is folks who have had covid sometimes have first shot reactions. In the beginning of April I thought maybe I had covid, but chalked it up to being hit hard with Spring allergies. This mild, first shot reaction, has me wondering again.

I’ve heard this from some older people in my social circle that had COVID-19, tested positive, with symptoms (not requiring hospitalization though) and went to get the vaccine. All had 1st shot reactions.

• Useful 6
4 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

I’ve heard this from some older people in my social circle that had COVID-19, tested positive, with symptoms (not requiring hospitalization though) and went to get the vaccine. All had 1st shot reactions.

I was never tested, nor even seen by an MD. This was early in the pandemic when testing was only done in the ED and they were basically saying, unless you're dying, stay home.

It does have me wondering though.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

I was never tested, nor even seen by an MD. This was early in the pandemic when testing was only done in the ED and they were basically saying, unless you're dying, stay home.

It does have me wondering though.

I wondered if I had COVID last year, too. When we were in Disney during the February school break, we were all sick but I lost the sense of taste for a few days. On the drive home, we went to an urgent care where I was diagnosed with a sinus and double ear infection so felt like absolute shit. But that loss of taste was unlike anything I had ever experienced. But, it was barely the end of February and getting tested was near impossible unless you could show exposure to someone from China or Italy. We were asked if we had been around any foreigners....which, yes, we were in Disney World. However, I didn't have a fever and the cough I had with pneumonia was worse. It wouldn't shock me if if I had had it though. Interesting to note when I get my vaccine....whenever that is. May, maybe? 

Edited by frenchtoast
  • Useful 2
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, jcbrown said:

I do keep a putter upstairs to get cat toys out from under the dresser. Better use than I ever made of it playing golf.

I generally use a broom. Hate to admit how close it is of being made better use of for that purpose than its intended one!

• LOL 11
4 minutes ago, frenchtoast said:

I wondered if I had COVID last year, too. When we were in Disney during the February school break, we were all sick but I lost the sense of taste for a few days. On the drive home, we went to an urgent care where I was diagnosed with a sinus and double ear infection so felt like absolute shit. But that loss of taste was unlike anything I had ever experienced. But, it was barely the end of February and getting tested was near impossible unless you could show exposure to someone from China or Italy. We were asked if we had been around any foreigners....which, yes, we were in Disney World. However, I didn't have a fever and the cough I had with pneumonia was worse. It wouldn't shock me if if I had had it though. Interesting to note when I got my vaccine....whenever that is. May, maybe? 

My symptoms, in April, started in my head, but did move to my chest. I've had both pneumonia and bronchitis before and thought maybe I was headed in one of those directions. It started slow and then led to three really bad days and two really bad nights. I was starting to get nervous on the third day, but then things started to improve. I never lost my sense of taste or smell, but things did taste and smell differently. I figured that was due to my sinuses. 

The reason I never felt it was covid is because we locked ourselves down pretty quick. But my son, who lives with us, didn't stop working right away and we did go grocery shopping once during that time. And this was before masks.

I guess in the end, it really doesn't matter, but I kind of wish I knew.

• Love 7

I'm so sorry for those who have had reactions to the vaccine. I had (Pfizer) only a sore arm with #1. With #2, I had read to be sure to relax your arm during the shot, which I did. I don't know if that is why, but I didn't have any side effects, not even a sore arm with #2. I'm glad that so many are getting the vaccine and I hope everyone who hasn't, gets it sooner than expected!

I've been listening to a 3 part Dateline podcast about a guy who had 6 wives, 4 of whom died. He's a total jerk! It would almost be funny, if it weren't so sad for the wives and their families. 

• Love 8
8 hours ago, iwantcookies said:

I don't know about her getting the vaccine.  As DangerousMinds said they are only giving it to people 65+ or people with certain conditions. I cannot even find a Dr. or pharmacy who can give me information. Next time you talk with her please find out how she was able to get the shot. I would like to know so I can start the same process. 

• Love 6
On 2/25/2021 at 11:39 AM, CalicoKitty said:

I love baseball, and I would like to like cricket.  But I can't figure out the rules.

I'm with you there.  Even with a tea towel explanation I'm a bit lost, but that's okay.  I would say baseball is a lot of fun when you actually go to a game, sit with your family or friends, have a cold drink on a sunny hot day, and more so with the minor/local leagues enjoy the park entertainment.   Even if you aren't a huge baseball fan the Ken Burns series Baseball is a fascinating watch, and his Jackie Robinson as well. 

Wrestlers (or rasslin, whatever you prefer) too - lots of health problems there.  The whole Christ Benoit tragedy, I'm sure that was fueled by his brain injuries.  I used to really enjoy watching back in the 80's and 90's but barely now.  

• Love 7

I've got a friend who thinks she had covid last February too. She'd never been so sick. They diagnosed her with walking pneumonia. She lost her sense of taste and smell too. In November the Dr did the antibody test on her, and it came up negative. 🤔 But I'll tell her about possibly having a reaction to the first dose when she's able to get it. 

Edited by QuinnInND
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, CherryMalotte said:

I'm with you there.  Even with a tea towel explanation I'm a bit lost, but that's okay.  I would say baseball is a lot of fun when you actually go to a game, sit with your family or friends, have a cold drink on a sunny hot day, and more so with the minor/local leagues enjoy the park entertainment.   Even if you aren't a huge baseball fan the Ken Burns series Baseball is a fascinating watch, and his Jackie Robinson as well. 

Wrestlers (or rasslin, whatever you prefer) too - lots of health problems there.  The whole Christ Benoit tragedy, I'm sure that was fueled by his brain injuries.  I used to really enjoy watching back in the 80's and 90's but barely now.  

Good point.  Some of the bizarre behaviors called into question brain damage and the abuse of steroids.  
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Benoit_double-murder_and_suicide

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Useful 2
4 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

I donated blood this morning! O+ in the house! Figured it was the least I could do to put back what my god mother used so that could help someone else. I coordinated my mask to my shirt- yes I did. 

Universal donor!  That’s awesome.  Saving lives for sure.

• Love 9

@GeeGolly, you mentioned allergies. There are bad reactions with the vaccine to those with allergies. My BIL has horrible allergies and was miserable after his 1st dose and even worse after the second. My inlaws FINALLY got their 1st dose yesterday and my MIL isn't feeling the greatest either. My mom didn't do well with the first and I will find out today how she did with the second yesterday, later today.  I have bad allergies and when my turn comes up for the vaccine, I fully expect to have bad side effects.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
38 minutes ago, Madtown said:

@GeeGolly, you mentioned allergies. There are bad reactions with the vaccine to those with allergies. My BIL has horrible allergies and was miserable after his 1st dose and even worse after the second. My inlaws FINALLY got their 1st dose yesterday and my MIL isn't feeling the greatest either. My mom didn't do well with the first and I will find out today how she did with the second yesterday, later today.  I have bad allergies and when my turn comes up for the vaccine, I fully expect to have bad side effects.

I can let you know Wednesday or Thursday next week after the second dose.  Allergies so far don't guarantee bad side effects.  I have bad allegies including to some vaccines and pretty much only had a somewhat sore arm after the first one.  I'm prepared for worse after the second. 

• Love 6
On 2/25/2021 at 8:34 PM, jcbrown said:

1976, 1981, or 1987? I was there for all three. In 1976, my parents and two other couples from our church had an arrangement where our families alternated houses and shared dinner and basketball for a lot of games. IU basketball was a big deal in Bloomington at that time.

This just shows what a small world the internet is.  I was a freshman at IU-Bloomington in 1987 and ran out of the dorms to the Fountain to celebrate.  I had a friend who was still in high school at the time visiting, so it was a great visit for her.  After graduation, I moved to another basketball hot area, NC.  I'm a little over 6 feet tall and lots of people ask me if I played basketball in high school.  I have to admit that I only played one year and then got cut, but I was much better at track and cross-country.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, crazycatlady58 said:

I don't know about her getting the vaccine.  As DangerousMinds said they are only giving it to people 65+ or people with certain conditions. I cannot even find a Dr. or pharmacy who can give me information. Next time you talk with her please find out how she was able to get the shot. I would like to know so I can start the same process. 

I avoid her like the plague. All she wants from me is $ and gifts. I am not interested in asking her how she got the vaccine. Do I think she is lying? No. 

8 minutes ago, skipnjump said:

This just shows what a small world the internet is.  I was a freshman at IU-Bloomington in 1987 and ran out of the dorms to the Fountain to celebrate.  I had a friend who was still in high school at the time visiting, so it was a great visit for her.  After graduation, I moved to another basketball hot area, NC.  I'm a little over 6 feet tall and lots of people ask me if I played basketball in high school.  I have to admit that I only played one year and then got cut, but I was much better at track and cross-country.

What dorm were you in at that time? I was in Foster!

2 hours ago, Madtown said:

1 hour ago, Absolom said:

I can let you know Wednesday or Thursday next week after the second dose.  Allergies so far don't guarantee bad side effects.  I have bad allegies including to some vaccines and pretty much only had a somewhat sore arm after the first one.  I'm prepared for worse after the second. 

I wasn't aware seasonal allergies could influence reactions to the vax. My allergies are relatively new, maybe starting around 10 -15 years ago (which I never knew was a thing). My husband on the other hand has had allergies forever. His only complaint was a sore arm.

I did know, and they do ask, about severe allergies requiring EpiPens. Neither my husband or I have anything like that.

• Love 3

I think my horrible side effects from the second vaccine dose are an anomaly and I hope I didn't scare anyone. I have seasonal allergies and autoimmune disease so my immune system tends to go nuts over vaccines. I have friends who had absolutely no side effects after either dose and friends who just had very mild ones. I'm curious to see how the one shot Johnson and Johnson dose does for people. Hopefully, they can roll that one out quickly and open things up to even more people. 

I just hope the majority of people get a vaccine so we can get herd immunity and be done with this isolation crap. I'm sick of people on social media saying Covid is a hoax or it's not as bad as doctors say or they aren't getting a shot because of some stupid reason (I saw someone today saying it was full of aborted fetuses, good lord). It's funny how some people say one thing here and another thing elsewhere. 

• Love 11

Cosmo has a new toy. He’s so very excited! I remember when my godmother first adopted him, my Mom bought him a stuffed rabbit that squeaks.

Here he is with his new duck squeak toy!

It feels like a HEAT WAVE in Chicagoland and walking him was a breeze. 

B5B01B39-7F17-4F7E-86FA-8DBF047AC897.jpeg

• Love 21
17 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Cosmo has a new toy. He’s so very excited! I remember when my godmother first adopted him, my Mom bought him a stuffed rabbit that squeaks.

How cute!! My doxies love toys that squeak. And their goal is to find and rip the squeaker out of the toy and kill it. Every time. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 10
27 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

He’s home now. You’re a great dog mom...no surprise there!

• Love 10

There is a commercial that makes me laugh.  A guy is working at his desk, and you hear a squeaky toy in the background.  The guy tells the dog to stop, and the dog appears with his paws on the desk, but no squeaky toy--but you still hear it.  He turns around, and his baby is sitting in a baby seat chewing on the dog's toy.  The baby looks so happy.  This just makes me laugh for some reason.  Squeaky toys tend to scare my cats, but they are not brave at all.  But I do have a houseful of stuffed mice of all descriptions.

• LOL 9
  • Love 3
56 minutes ago, emma675 said:

I think my horrible side effects from the second vaccine dose are an anomaly and I hope I didn't scare anyone. I have seasonal allergies and autoimmune disease so my immune system tends to go nuts over vaccines. I have friends who had absolutely no side effects after either dose and friends who just had very mild ones. I'm curious to see how the one shot Johnson and Johnson dose does for people. Hopefully, they can roll that one out quickly and open things up to even more people. 

I just hope the majority of people get a vaccine so we can get herd immunity and be done with this isolation crap. I'm sick of people on social media saying Covid is a hoax or it's not as bad as doctors say or they aren't getting a shot because of some stupid reason (I saw someone today saying it was full of aborted fetuses, good lord). It's funny how some people say one thing here and another thing elsewhere. 

Alot of people I know who thought it was a hoax GOT Covid - some of them still don't wear masks and some are relatives of mine who I (pre-Covid) spend holidays with - looks like no Easter this year either.  I talked to my dr. and he told me (I have an immune system problem) MAYBE the end of March for the vaccine.  The hospital he is affiliated with (Beth Israel) have been updating with emails weekly.  They will notify people when it's their turn.  Congratulations for everyone who got their vaccine!! (and thank  you)

• Love 8
Just now, Oldernowiser said:

He’s home now. You’re a great dog mom...no surprise there!

You’re so sweet. He’s an easy boy. Very mellow, likes cats, doesn’t chew. He has spouts of energy and then he curls up on his dog bed.

Which for the record I haven’t seen him sleep on since I washed it two days ago. It was lumpy from the washer/dryer so I was beating it on the floor to make it even again. I hope he still likes it! Well if the hard wood is more comfortable.....I know intellectually the dog is fine, but I was so proud of myself for buying something he liked on my first try (the dog bed). 

• Love 8

I am O negative.  My blood has no A antibodies, no B antibodies, and no RH factor.  My blood can be given to anyone of any type, but I can only receive blood from another O negative donor.  That is why O negative is called the "universal donor."  I used to donate, and they usually used my blood for pedi packs for babies.  Unfortunately, I have veins about the size of a baby's.  It was very hard to draw my blood, and I was finally told to stop donating.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, emma675 said:

I have three autoimmune disorders and have had anaphylaxis to a vaccine so I understand.  I'm prepared for the worst and hoping for the best for round two.  It seems to be selective which vaccines set me off and which don't.  Flu vaccines do not agree with my system at all.  

I found more neighbors today who won't even consider getting the vaccine.  I'll be masked on our street for years it seems.  I'm glad the 90 year old living next door to them is already vaccinated.  I hope people will get the J&J if they won't get one of the first two.  Every little bit helps.

• Love 6
6 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I donated blood this morning! O+ in the house! Figured it was the least I could do to put back what my god mother used so that could help someone else. I coordinated my mask to my shirt- yes I did. 

I may have purchased a particular mask specifically because it’s a perfect match for the jacket I’ve been wearing all winter. 

Edited by Panopticon
  • Love 8
3 hours ago, QuinnInND said:

A couple of days this week, I was working with my tiny humans on their scissor skills. Made me wonder if any of the Duggar grands of this age have any at all. 

FB_IMG_1614037943157.jpg

Check out the JRod’s oldest girls “store” on Etsy...they still don’t have any scissor skills and they’re teens.

• LOL 8
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, skipnjump said:

We may have seen each other IRL! I ran from my apartment to Showalter Fountain to celebrate, too.

2 hours ago, Panopticon said:

I may have purchased a particular mask specifically because it’s a perfect match for the jacket I’ve been wearing all winter. 

This makes total sense to me.

• Love 7

Finally got done with my catch-up on all the stuff I missed over the past few weeks that I was MIA. Hopefully I won't get quite as sidetracked with the news again now that there's at least some sense that things might be settling down a bit. Reading here is probably better for my blood pressure!

• Love 12
15 hours ago, jcbrown said:

We may have seen each other IRL! I ran from my apartment to Showalter Fountain to celebrate, too.

This makes total sense to me.

Very cool!  😃  It was a mad house at Showalter and one time I was definitely glad to be tall!  One of the girls from my dorm had a bottle rocket that someone fired off go through her hair. 

20 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

What dorm were you in at that time? I was in Foster!

I was across the street in McNutt!

• Useful 1

I kind of feel like I jumped the line in getting vaccinated.  I'm only 63 and my state is still working on 65 plus.  I have absolutely no health problems and received my first dose yesterday.

The fire department in my county has been going to all of the nursing homes, which they are finished with, then all of the adult family homes, which they have also finished.  So now they are going into all of the senior apartments to vaccinate.

My 32 year old son has a mental health disability and lives in a subsidized senior/disabled apartment building owned by the county housing authority. They were told that their family members could also get on the list and be vaccinated.

I explained to the person asking for my information that my son takes care of himself and we only visit him once a month.  She said I should take the vaccine as soon as it was offered to me so I did.

Kaiser Permanente probably wouldn't have offered it to me until late spring so I know I am very lucky. My husband, who is 70, has already gotten both doses.

• Love 23
23 hours ago, Boston said:

Alot of people I know who thought it was a hoax GOT Covid - some of them still don't wear masks and some are relatives of mine who I (pre-Covid) spend holidays with - looks like no Easter this year either.  I talked to my dr. and he told me (I have an immune system problem) MAYBE the end of March for the vaccine.  The hospital he is affiliated with (Beth Israel) have been updating with emails weekly.  They will notify people when it's their turn.  Congratulations for everyone who got their vaccine!! (and thank  you)

I have never been a patient there, but someone who has a very similar email to mine must have been, because they keep trying to notify me about it.   We had a chance at the vaccine at a drive thru, but there was no way Mr Twopper and I could wait in the car for hours.  I am trying to find a place with appointments.  We are 65 +

• Love 6
2 hours ago, louannems said:

I kind of feel like I jumped the line in getting vaccinated.  I'm only 63 and my state is still working on 65 plus.  I have absolutely no health problems and received my first dose yesterday.

The fire department in my county has been going to all of the nursing homes, which they are finished with, then all of the adult family homes, which they have also finished.  So now they are going into all of the senior apartments to vaccinate.

My 32 year old son has a mental health disability and lives in a subsidized senior/disabled apartment building owned by the county housing authority. They were told that their family members could also get on the list and be vaccinated.

I explained to the person asking for my information that my son takes care of himself and we only visit him once a month.  She said I should take the vaccine as soon as it was offered to me so I did.

Kaiser Permanente probably wouldn't have offered it to me until late spring so I know I am very lucky. My husband, who is 70, has already gotten both doses.

That person was right about taking the vaccine as soon as it's offered. Don't waste another minute worrying about this, Louannems. Everyone who wants to will get vaccinated. It's a big country with a huge number of people, so the process is complicated and not a straight line solution. It's 100% fine for you to take care of yourself when you have the chance. I'm happy for you!

• Love 20