Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, louannems said:

I kind of feel like I jumped the line in getting vaccinated.  I'm only 63 and my state is still working on 65 plus.  I have absolutely no health problems and received my first dose yesterday.

Sweetie. I am your age (well, in three weeks I will be). I live in the same state and what, two counties to the west of you? I also have Kaiser and have no idea when I might get the vaccine.

And I am DELIGHTED you got the vaccine! The more the better. So put that idea right out of your head, okay?

• Love 19
1 hour ago, Twopper said:

I have never been a patient there, but someone who has a very similar email to mine must have been, because they keep trying to notify me about it.   We had a chance at the vaccine at a drive thru, but there was no way Mr Twopper and I could wait in the car for hours.  I am trying to find a place with appointments.  We are 65 +

My Dad lives in MD (he also goes to the VA sometimes for things so I thought he would go there).. anyway, he got his vaccine at Walgreens.. he called and made an appt. in early February. He just got his 2nd there.  He is 82.  I believe he called them in late March.  Good luck.. I tried the MA state website and it doesn't work right.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, iwantcookies said:

Happy news Sunday.

I found a FREE support group that is run by a licensed social worker. It helps to talk to others who are going through the same thing.

I've been facilitating all kinds of groups for many years. Skill groups, psycho-ed, group therapy, groups for folks with thought disorders and mood disorders, substance use, trauma, etc. I actually think there is a kind of therapeutic magic that has opportunities to present itself. What kind of support group are you going to?

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6

@louannems for what it’s worth, I think you did the right thing getting vaccinated. I’m super jealous BUT that’s the recommended thing, to just get in there and get the vaccine ASAP, because we’re just trying to keep this process moving along as quickly as possible. If we all were so hesitant about jumping the line that we held back from getting the vaccine, that would just introduce more (unnecessary) friction to the process and slow us all down. So I think what you did was right and recommended and ultimately good for all of us, even if it feels weird.

Good News Sunday: I submitted all my law school applications 😅 Most of them are due tomorrow, so I went ahead and submitted them all. I’ve been working on them steadily, but this weekend was all about trying to get the personal statement and other essays and my resume in tip top shape. We’ll see what happens... all I can do now is wait.

Well, and study, because I am a crazy person and scheduled my next CPA exam for Monday the 8th. 🤦🏻‍♀️🤞

• Love 22
4 minutes ago, rue721 said:

Well, and study, because I am a crazy person and scheduled my next CPA exam for Monday the 8th. 🤦🏻‍♀️🤞

Oh no--you do like to live dangerously, don't you?! 😉 

But congrats on getting the law school applications done! 🙂 

• Love 13
40 minutes ago, rue721 said:

Best wishes although I have faith in you and you will rock it. 

• Love 9
3 hours ago, rue721 said:

@louannems for what it’s worth, I think you did the right thing getting vaccinated. I’m super jealous BUT that’s the recommended thing, to just get in there and get the vaccine ASAP, because we’re just trying to keep this process moving along as quickly as possible. If we all were so hesitant about jumping the line that we held back from getting the vaccine, that would just introduce more (unnecessary) friction to the process and slow us all down. So I think what you did was right and recommended and ultimately good for all of us, even if it feels weird.

Good News Sunday: I submitted all my law school applications 😅 Most of them are due tomorrow, so I went ahead and submitted them all. I’ve been working on them steadily, but this weekend was all about trying to get the personal statement and other essays and my resume in tip top shape. We’ll see what happens... all I can do now is wait.

You've got this! 💪💪

• Love 12
(edited)
25 minutes ago, QuinnInND said:

Good morning on this rainy cool morning. Hope everyone has a good day. 

🎉 Happy Birthday Quinn 🎉 I hope today is very special for you my fellow Pisces. 

Oops. I read my calendar wrong. Wednesday is your birthday, so Happy Birthday Week 🥳

Edited by Mindthinkr
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

🎉 Happy Birthday Quinn 🎉 I hope today is very special for you my fellow Pisces. 

Oops. I read my calendar wrong. Wednesday is your birthday, so Happy Birthday Week 🥳

Thank you! 

• Love 5
21 hours ago, iwantcookies said:

Happy news Sunday.

I found a FREE support group that is run by a licensed social worker. It helps to talk to others who are going through the same thing.

Congratulations! Is it a Zoom group?

• Love 3

What is a zoom meeting?  I'm thinking over the web?  My daughter battles the good fight with bi-polar and if love to find a good online support group for her.

If anybody has any suggestions I'd appreciate it!

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, Jeanne222 said:

What is a zoom meeting?  I'm thinking over the web?  My daughter battles the good fight with bi-polar and if love to find a good online support group for her.

It’s over the web. 

• Useful 1
22 minutes ago, Jeanne222 said:

Zoom is very much like FaceTime. Its how many kids are doing school, MDs are doing doctor appointments and therapists are doing sessions.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

I hope your daughter finds a good support group.  I’ve attended a couple of seminars on Zoom for various things.  Have you checked with NAMI?

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I hope your daughter finds a good support group.  I’ve attended a couple of seminars on Zoom for various things.  Have you checked with NAMI?

I don't know what that is?  

You can check in with the local group in you county.  I looked in to the organization when I needed help due to mental health issues with some family members. I found a support group and attended a meeting. This was before covid.  They normally have local chapters that provide support for family members and patients. 

https://nami.org/Home

• Useful 4

Can someone tell me how to save an email attachment that is a zip file in Windows 8?  I’ve researched and when I right click on it I don’t get the option to Send or Extract.  Very frustrating.  I can’t open it either.  I can open it on my iPad, but when I save it and send it as an attachment on email...it’s messed up.  Very frustrating.  

5 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Can someone tell me how to save an email attachment that is a zip file in Windows 8?  I’ve researched and when I right click on it I don’t get the option to Send or Extract.  Very frustrating.  I can’t open it either.  I can open it on my iPad, but when I save it and send it as an attachment on email...it’s messed up.  Very frustrating.  

No clue, but can you screenshot it on your iPad, and send it to yourself in an email as a picture? 

53 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

IMG_20210302_082324.jpg

on the topic of texas and the snow a few weeks ago, my DIL just told me that the utility company is essentially billing folks multi-thousands of dollars for a month of electricity ($40,000 ish). how is that even possible to expect all you texans to pay such bills? and level pay folks are majorly screwed according to her. can you texas folks weigh in and enlighten me about this situation? 

Here in Arkansas, we've been told restrictions will be rolled back to guidelines, but that we should still follow the guidelines (that nobody followed when they were guidelines, so that is why they became restrictions.) 🙄

51 minutes ago, zoomama said:

on the topic of texas and the snow a few weeks ago, my DIL just told me that the utility company is essentially billing folks multi-thousands of dollars for a month of electricity ($40,000 ish). how is that even possible to expect all you texans to pay such bills? and level pay folks are majorly screwed according to her. can you texas folks weigh in and enlighten me about this situation? 

I cannot speak for anyone else but I just received a letter from me electronic company about a rate change.  I use balance billing and it went from 81.00 to 85.00 but I don't know it this change went into affect before or after the freeze. 

• Useful 3
(edited)
2 hours ago, zoomama said:

I’m not from TX, but I’ve read that the high bills have something to do with a lack of regulation. So power companies can compete.  But, they have the option to turn off your power if it gets in high demand and they can charge you more than normal if demand gets high as well.  I don’t  know if that is exactly right.  It sounds bizarre to me. I hope someone who lives there will chime in.  It’s probably more complicated.  I don’t think most states operate that way.    Here’s a good piece about it.

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/02/22/texas-power-grid-extreme-weather/

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Useful 2
4 minutes ago, QuinnInND said:

I would think you can still wear one if you want to. I think it's ridiculous for Texas to do that though. 

I will be double masking. I was going to the grocery store and that's it. I may start doing pick-up instead of going through the aisles. I'm irritated though because I have to go and get my license changed from MA to TX. We made the appointment in August for next week. So a nice crowded place with a bunch of assholes all thrilled they don't have to keep their distance or mask. So pissed. Anyone have a hazmat suit? 

The school district did reach out and basically announced that they haven't decided anything yet, so we'll see what happens. My daughter is full time virtual and I will not send her to school if masks are not required. Not going to happen. We'll see what they decide. My son works at a fast food place and if they don't require masks I think he'll have to quit because he has asthma. All his coworkers when they heard about the announcement opined that it was really stupid. But we'll see what happens with that. 

We really didn't want to move here but the job was good. Can't say that TX has not lived up to expectations, because it's basically been as bad as we thought it would be. 

3 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I just got a fun fair warning letter from the county tax department. They have risen the value of my house by 30%. 
We aren’t getting anything to show for it either. 

Same just happened to my mom and we are going to appeal the decision.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, zoomama said:

People on a month to month variable rate plan. These are plans with cheap companies that people bounce back and forth to. So essentially, people who cannot afford a contract are being billed thousands. Good luck getting that a Oncor! 

12 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Hilaria and Alec had their 6th baby by surrogate. I thought it was an oops-too-soon baby. Not at all. And yes, she has a Spanish leaning name - Lucia.

Hilaria was desperate for a little sister for her daughter but this seems extreme. 

• Love 8
34 minutes ago, ozziemom said:

Hilaria was desperate for a little sister for her daughter but this seems extreme. 

Really? Did they use a surrogate so they would be sure it was a girl? 

• Useful 2
(edited)

Considering their youngest son is... five months old? That kind of points to she found out she was having another boy, had a melt-down, and arranged to have a surrogate daughter immediately. Except that seems like too fast a timeline for it to actually happen, and if she wanted another girl so badly, why not do gender selection with the previous pregnancy?* Either way I feel bad for the youngest son, being replaced as the baby of the family so quickly. Even the Duggars didn't have kids that close together! (Though maybe they would have if they could have...)

*Or maybe she did, previously? Didn't she have a miscarriage or two before the latest pregnancy? Would that type (I don't know what the term would be for a gender-selected implantation...) pregnancy be more prone to miscarriage, and she didn't want to try it again herself? But still... you couldn't slow your roll a little and wait until your baby is a little older before using the surrogate???

Edited by dargosmydaddy
  • Love 2