Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

9 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:

Barbara Woodhouse.  I loved watching her show.  She was so good with the dogs.

I knew the smart Small Talkers would come up with her last name. Yes, she clearly loved dogs and was very positive, as I recall. 

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Heathen said:

I'm a Michigan native and current resident. IMO, an Alford plea is a legal tool that should be allowed in all states. Remember the West Memphis Three? They weren't guilty and it's mendacity to pretend they were in light of the overwhelming evidence including DNA, but an Alford plea got innocent men off death row and out of prison. An innocent man spending one day in prison is one day too many.

Topic: Ofsmuggar has had home births, a home toilet birth, and a birthing center birth (at least one). I wonder if she had a home birth this time or opted for somewhere else. I also wonder if Jill was present. I'm assuming M7 has been born, of course. 

IDK, but I doubt the Alford plea was the reason the West Memphis Three were able to gain their freedom.   Conviction by trial includes appellate rights, something that is automatic for capital crimes.   Michigan does not have the death penalty, so any crime with the possible penalty of life term is considered capital here.   I find it hard to believe that the West Memphis Three only were able to establish their innocence and gain their freedom simply because of an Alford plea.   I may be wrong, but from what I know about the appellate process it seems unlikely to me.  Why would uncovering new, exonerating evidence in a capital case not merit review by an appellate court?  Maintaining the liberty of the innocent is the spine of our entire justice system.

I still maintain that allowing Alford pleas in cases of predators, especially child predators, would be tantamount to lining a cage full of overly enthusiastic monkeys with buttons to launch nuclear weapons.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Tikichick said:

I still maintain that allowing Alford pleas in cases of predators, especially child predators, would be tantamount to lining a cage full of overly enthusiastic monkeys with buttons to launch nuclear weapons.

But isn't the goal to get them behind bars? And court cases aren't without their fair share of manipulation either.

hi friends. i have been away from the desk for a bit. we have had a tragedy in our family. my beautiful 18 year old niece was involved in a car accident a couple days ago. she was devastatingly injured (no gory details). we learned this morning that she will not survive. they did a 3rd CT searching for brain life and as of now i have not been called with the results. however when i saw her yesterday in the icu, something in my spirit prepared me for the worst. i will say that out of the sadness of this situation, God sent me two undeniable signs that He was with her when she needed. you all know my belief system and when i tell you that signs of angel intervention were seen, i mean it.  i am so grateful for that gift.  my family is , naturally, destroyed by this  situation. i am not a cryer, and so i have 'purposed' (gotta have some levity here) not to cry and to be the strong big sister that they need right now. my time will come. i am so sad....on many levels that i cant even get into right now. just so sad..

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, zoomama said:

hi friends. i have been away from the desk for a bit. we have had a tragedy in our family. my beautiful 18 year old niece was involved in a car accident a couple days ago. she was devastatingly injured (no gory details). we learned this morning that she will not survive. they did a 3rd CT searching for brain life and as of now i have not been called with the results. however when i saw her yesterday in the icu, something in my spirit prepared me for the worst. i will say that out of the sadness of this situation, God sent me two undeniable signs that He was with her when she needed. you all know my belief system and when i tell you that signs of angel intervention were seen, i mean it.  i am so grateful for that gift.  my family is , naturally, destroyed by this  situation. i am not a cryer, and so i have 'purposed' (gotta have some levity here) not to cry and to be the strong big sister that they need right now. my time will come. i am so sad....on many levels that i cant even get into right now. just so sad..

So sorry to hear this, deepest condolences to you and your family. 

• Love 10
1 hour ago, zoomama said:

I am so very sorry to hear about your niece. Her parents are lucky to have you during this time. My thoughts and support go out to you all as you grieve during this tragedy. 

• Love 8

What a sudden and devastating loss @zoomama I am grateful that you felt God’s presence and the angels were there for her. My condolences and purrs from the Mindthinkr kitties. May your faith help you stand strong for your family. I am saddened to hear this news. 

• Love 9
13 hours ago, zoomama said:

@zoomama I am so sorry to hear this awful news.  Of course everyone's heart is breaking.  It is unimaginable for all of you.  I am so glad to hear about the angels.  What a gift it is.  I know from my own experience there are really no words.  So, sending a hug instead.

• Love 8

thanks for caring, everyone. i do know they met with the organ donor coordinator this morning but i have no specific details or plans yet.  i finally slept for about 90 minutes this afternoon. i got hit with more 'news' (unrelated) last night and found myself awake talking to God and myself all dang night trying to figure it all out. (details when i know more info). my dog was sick too so i was up cleaning up after her.  i am feeling my age today -- headache will not go away. 

2 hours ago, zoomama said:

thanks for caring, everyone. i do know they met with the organ donor coordinator this morning but i have no specific details or plans yet.  i finally slept for about 90 minutes this afternoon. i got hit with more 'news' (unrelated) last night and found myself awake talking to God and myself all dang night trying to figure it all out. (details when i know more info). my dog was sick too so i was up cleaning up after her.  i am feeling my age today -- headache will not go away. 

Try to get some rest and decent food in you. 

• Love 10
6 hours ago, zoomama said:

I iam feeling my age today -- headache will not go away. 

I'm so sorry for your loss @zoomama :'(

Also, don't forget to drink water...crying can dehydrate you and give you a  big headache...on top of all the stress you're going through.

Edited by ChiCricket
  • Love 6
12 hours ago, zoomama said:

So sorry to hear all this. Life will feel off kilter now. 

• Love 7
On 11/11/2021 at 6:59 PM, zoomama said:

I am so sorry for your unbelievable loss.  My prayers are with you and your family for the strength to get through this difficult time.  May you all find peace knowing your beautiful niece is with the angels.  

• Love 7

@laurakaye I worked in animal rescue many years and then owned a petsitting business. I always carried a small bag of little pieces of boiled chicken when petsitting new or nervous dogs. You can throw the bits of chicken near them. If you feed from your hand, have your hand flat with the chicken in the middle of your hand. If you are holding the chicken with your fingertips, even the sweetest dogs can get too excited and nip a finger - so keep your hand flat. Who knows if you remind the dog of someone else or what. Your only job now is to be the crazy chicken lady, let your helpmeet take care of her, until everyone is more comfortable. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 12

@zoomama

Please accept my internet prayers, hugs and continued good  wishes for your family during this most trying time.  The angels are most certainly with your dear niece, and are getting ready to accompany her on her journey.

If you have the chance to be near your niece, be sure to talk to her.  Ask the nurse if you can play some of her favorite music (maybe from your phone).  I did that for a dear friend of mine while he was unconscious, and I knew that deep down, he heard those familiar Irish tunes.

Continued hugs and prayers…….

• Love 7
1 hour ago, iwantcookies said:

Good news Sunday: I am attending a support group for orphans. It helps so much to be around other people who understand me. 

I am very glad to hear you are joining this group, Cookies. I hope it will help console you, as well as maybe even find friendships. It took courage to do this, so I am very proud of you.

• Love 9
7 hours ago, Love2dance said:

I am very glad to hear you are joining this group, Cookies. I hope it will help console you, as well as maybe even find friendships. It took courage to do this, so I am very proud of you.

I’m not looking for friends. Just people who are in the same situation as me. I’m done looking for relationships IRL. SM is enough for me. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, iwantcookies said:

I’m not looking for friends. Just people who are in the same situation as me. I’m done looking for relationships IRL. SM is enough for me. 

I hope you find what you are looking for, Cookies. You make me laugh (and think) on a daily basis here on SM. Sometimes friends show up unexpectedly. I'm in a book club and seeing those wonderful women always warms my heart. I wouldn't call them friends yet, but I do care about them and we have great in-person conversations. Friendship can creep up and it's a beautiful thing! 

• Love 9

Last night after work I went to Kroger to pick up a few things. I was wearing a mask..as I do in public..and I went to check out. I had a large cart so I went to the front of the cart to unload my groceries. The man behind me was not social distancing but that was fine his cart was between he and me and my back was to him so I had no concerns about maybe catching something . I moved up to be ready to put my card in the machine and I heard this metallic clang and my cart hit my hip, not hard are any thing but a definite tap. I look at him and his cart is right against mine,I mean any closer and it would have collapsed into mine, he was standing there giving me the hardest look. Now I was never afraid, more like ` You have got to be kidding me `. I continued what I was doing and then pulled my cart out so I could put my bags into the cart. The young man who was sacking my groceries gave me a odd look,  I think he was surprised also but he was wearing a mask so not sure exactly. All I can assume it was because I was wearing a mask he was not. I asl brought my own bags instead of getting the plastic bags so I probably irritated him on more than one level.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, crazycatlady58 said:

Last night after work I went to Kroger to pick up a few things. I was wearing a mask..as I do in public..and I went to check out. I had a large cart so I went to the front of the cart to unload my groceries. The man behind me was not social distancing but that was fine his cart was between he and me and my back was to him so I had no concerns about maybe catching something . I moved up to be ready to put my card in the machine and I heard this metallic clang and my cart hit my hip, not hard are any thing but a definite tap. I look at him and his cart is right against mine,I mean any closer and it would have collapsed into mine, he was standing there giving me the hardest look. Now I was never afraid, more like ` You have got to be kidding me `. I continued what I was doing and then pulled my cart out so I could put my bags into the cart. The young man who was sacking my groceries gave me a odd look,  I think he was surprised also but he was wearing a mask so not sure exactly. All I can assume it was because I was wearing a mask he was not. I asl brought my own bags instead of getting the plastic bags so I probably irritated him on more than one level.

Fuck him.

• Love 20
3 hours ago, BetyBee said:

I hope you find what you are looking for, Cookies. You make me laugh (and think) on a daily basis here on SM. Sometimes friends show up unexpectedly. I'm in a book club and seeing those wonderful women always warms my heart. I wouldn't call them friends yet, but I do care about them and we have great in-person conversations. Friendship can creep up and it's a beautiful thing! 

I’m glad to hear that 😊

• Love 3

There are still a good amount of shoppers wearing masks in my area in NC.  Most all employees in stores do as well, even though many of those with numb nose syndrome don’t realize their masks is hanging below their noses.  Lol. I ignore those who are unmasked and keep my distance.  I haven’t encountered anyone who seemed bothered by my mask.  When I’m in the grocery store line check-out, I  use my buggy as a barrier a lot. I’ll admit that I’m not doing this as much as I used to, due to lower rates of covid and I’ve now had 3 full doses of Moderna.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 9

We spent the weekend in Wisconsin. Land of few masks, at least where we were. No one was antagonistic about our wearing masks, though. Some people think that Covid is over. It's not! We're vaxxed and boosted though, so hopefully we'll stay healthy. 

In fact, we got our 2nd pneumonia vaccines (Pneuma 23) the day before we left. I was fine, but my husband had a really sore arm with peripheral pain around the elbow. He had trouble sleeping, but I slept like a baby! He's all better now. 

• Love 4

Thanks BetyBee for reminding me about that second Pneumonia shot. I’m not sure I had it.  I went to Walgreens today to get my flu shot and there was a sign that said all shots by appointment only.  So, another trip tomorrow.  

A friend who works in my office and her husband were recently vacationing in CA, OR, AZ, and some other states.  They were wearing masks at a diner in Idaho when they got some stares and soft mumblings about them being city folk…..lol!    No offense to anyone from Idaho.  😄

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 3

Here is something that surprises me where I live, Metro Atlanta, not in Fulton County and not in the City.  In the beginning of the pandemic, masks were few and far between.  Now I see a lot more of them.  Of course there are no governmental mask mandates and it goes by businesses.  Some of them have signs encouraging masks and some have no signs at all.  So I am wondering why now more people are wearing masks in this area.  I still double mask when I go into a store.  No one even looks at me because most of them are also masked.  It is a great PERPLEX!!

• Useful 3
  • Love 6

The agency I work through sent out an email today. By January 4th we must all be vaccinated. I am already. What gets me is  the number of people who hit reply all (a peeve of mine in general ) to the email saying they won’t be getting vaccinated. Shit heads. 

• Love 6
52 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

The agency I work through sent out an email today. By January 4th we must all be vaccinated. I am already. What gets me is  the number of people who hit reply all (a peeve of mine in general ) to the email saying they won’t be getting vaccinated. Shit heads. 

Boggles the mind. Maybe, they’ll change their minds and get fully vaxxed by the deadline.    But if not…. They’ll suffer the consequences.   If I had employees who refused and they had no valid medical reason to do so, I’d prefer they left.  

• Love 11
1 hour ago, ginger90 said:

Don't they have the choose of getting a vaccine ot taking a Covid test one a week?

• Love 1
Just now, crazycatlady58 said:

Don't they have the choose of getting a vaccine ot taking a Covid test one a week?

Yes, this is part of the email:

As of today, we are required to follow the OSHA ETS mandate, you can find more information at this website regarding the mandate and vaccination information:  https://www.osha.gov/coronavirus/ets2. This mandate does require that in order for us to be compliant we need to have every caregiver vaccinated by January 4th, 2022. I understand that there are many people who have questions or concerns regarding the vaccine, its safety, and things of that nature and for that I would refer you to the website listed above. I do know that employees that refuse the vaccination for either medical, religious, or personal reasons will be required to fill out the proper documentation (which I do not have yet), as well as wear a mask when with clients and have WEEKLY testing done (unsure of prices at this time). I understand that this is a lot to take in at this time and I apologize that I do not have all the answers right now but I am sure I will be receiving updates as we proceed. 

• Useful 4

JMO, but without a really good medical reason, caregivers should be required to be vaccinated.  I required my housekeeper to get vaccinated months ago.   I wouldn't allow a caregiver around me or my mother who wouldn't get vaccinated.  

• Love 16