Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

10 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I’ve been thinking about my favorite albums, and I realized I need to break them down by category. 

Movie Soundtracks: Saturday Night Fever, The Guardians of the Galaxy, A Star is Born, The BodyGuard

Musicals: Wicked, Rent, Legally Blonde: The Musical, Spring Awakening

Pop: Millennium (Backstreet Boys), Music Box (Mariah Carey), Come Fly with Me (Frank Sinatra), Thriller (Michael Jackson)

Country: Crash My Party (Luke Bryan), Play On (Carrie Underwood), Montevello (Sam Hunt)

Rap/Hip Hop: The Eminem Show (Eminem), All Eyes on Me (Tupac Shakur)

What are your favorite albums?

@Scarlett45,  Sam Hunt is from my small Northwest Georgia hometown.  We know his parents and they are very nice people.  Ironically,  I don't care for his music. (Shh! Don't tell, I wouldn't want  to have any hurt feelings.) But it was still nice to see that someone from Chicago likes it. 

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, Liddy52 said:

@Scarlett45,  Sam Hunt is from my small Northwest Georgia hometown.  We know his parents and they are very nice people.  Ironically,  I don't care for his music. (Shh! Don't tell, I wouldn't want  to have any hurt feelings.) But it was still nice to see that someone from Chicago likes it. 

Oh fun thats so cool!

• Love 1

@doodlebug and @CalicoKitty - thanks for the info on Soda Stream. I'll probably pass on getting one since I don't drink carbonated water every day, week in and week out. I go through phases with it. At the moment I'm having about one can a day of Bubly/whatever but if I forget to buy more after I use up this carton of cans, I may go awhile before I buy the next batch.

And, wow, the Browns! I was thinking of you, @doodlebug, as I watched that game last night. That was amazing! TBH I wasn't paying close attention at the beginning, and even was watching something else for the first few minutes of the game. Then I tuned in the game and holy cow - it was something like Browns 28, Steelers 0, and it was still the first quarter. So IIRC, the Browns' coach was at home in his basement because he has COVID, other players were also not at the game, the Browns facility was closed all week, so the team hadn't had regular practices, and Baker Mayfield bleeping INTRODUCED HIMSELF to one of his receivers  [later edit: linemen, thanks to Doodlebug for the correction] in the locker room just before the game last night. 

And the Browns were unstoppable out there. 

That's a win for the record books. 

Edited by Jeeves
got the 411 from doodlebug
  • Love 5

Tapestry is a treasure! I only discovered it in its entirety a few years ago!  Love it. 

If anyone has any ideas on this I would appreciate it.  We have a varied group with lots of expertise.  I'm waiting on a tech support call this afternoon, but would like to resolve problem now.  I was preparing a document on my laptop yesterday when I went to insert a symbol sign. ss for section.  Suddenly, my page grew very wide. The entire document went from looking normal to looking very wide.  A normal 3 sentences went to one long sentence. Lots of empty space on the right side of the document. I confirmed the margins are set. Other pages look the same, not just documents, but websites too.  The computer screen is just too wide. I checked the resolution and it is on normal.  I took off zoom of screen and it's on normal.  So odd and frustrating.  Oh, I emailed one of the odd looking documents to my ipad and when I open it there, the document is normal looking, with no odd layout. so, I think it's just the way the computer is displaying everything. Oh, it's on portrait not landscape. Any ideas would be appreciated.   My paralegal suggested some things, but, they aren't the problem.    

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 2

doodlebug, congrats on the Browns win, that was a fun game! I do have a feeling Pittsburgh will have an excuse for Roethlisberger's play soon, dude was throwing to anyone on the field who had a helmet on, regardless of whether they played on his team or not. I like Mike Tomlin but I will never be a Roethlisberger fan, for all that he's done and been accused of off the field. 

Good luck tonight with Ohio State, too. Although I have to root for Alabama since they are in my team's conference (Texas A&M, SEC). It's going to be an interesting game. 

SunnyBeBe, what program are you using?

Edited by emma675d
  • Love 4
2 minutes ago, emma675 said:

doodlebug, congrats on the Browns win, that was a fun game! I do have a feeling Pittsburgh will have an excuse for Roethlisberger's play soon, dude was throwing to anyone on the field who had a helmet on, regardless of whether they played on his team or not. I like Mike Tomlin but I will never be a Roethlisberger fan, for all that he's done and been accused of off the field. 

Good luck tonight with Ohio State, too. Although I have to root for Alabama since they are in my team's conference (Texas A&M, SEC). It's going to be an interesting game. 

SunnyBeBe, what program are you using?

Windows 8.1

9 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Tapestry is a treasure! I only discovered it in its entirety a few years ago!  Love it. 

If anyone has any ideas on this I would appreciate it.  We have a varied group with lots of expertise.  I'm waiting on a tech support call this afternoon, but would like to resolve problem now.  I was preparing a document on my laptop yesterday when I went to insert a symbol sign. ss for section.  Suddenly, my page grew very wide. The entire document went from looking normal to looking very wide.  A normal 3 sentences went to one long sentence. Lots of empty space on the right side of the document. I confirmed the margins are set. Other pages look the same, not just documents, but websites too.  The computer screen is just too wide. I checked the resolution and it is on normal.  I took off zoom of screen and it's on normal.  So odd and frustrating.  Oh, I emailed one of the odd looking documents to my ipad and when I open it there, the document is normal looking, with no odd layout. so, I think it's just the way the computer is displaying everything. Oh, it's on portrait not landscape. Any ideas would be appreciated.   My paralegal suggested some things, but, they aren't the problem.    

Any chance you toggled something in Accessibility settings that magnified the screen for visually impaired people?

Can you revert to a previous version?

ETA: can you send it to your ipad, save it there, email it back to yourself and see if it’s fixed when you open that version?

Edited by Oldernowiser
  • Useful 1

I don't know.  It was when I pressed insert the symbol sign. I've done it before without issue. I'll look into what you suggest.  Other people have had it happen to then, as I've read about the problem googling.  I couldn't find the right answer though.  I will check out your suggestion.  Could be.

Edited by SunnyBeBe

Yes, I saved it,  refreshed it.  ALSO, ALL my documents appear that way.  Even old ones.  Anything I open is like that. When I send it to my ipad as an attachment and open it, it's fine and normal looking.  So, it's the display on the computer. I have checked magnifier and it appears to be on normal.  

If it ever happens again immediately hit the undo button to reverse whatever happened.   Save the document.  Then try again.  Possibly giving the second attempt a different name to distinguish it for testing.

• Love 1

Yes, I wish I had done that.  Tks for the tip.

What is a common resolution and also if in Landscape or Portrait?  I didn't change any of that, but am just trying to brainstorm.  I hope the tech guy can help. 

• Love 1

Even though I'm a 90s kid, the first album I ever bought was a CD of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon. 

It's hard for me to pick favorite albums. Changes by my mood. Also as I've noted on here, I'm really bad to just play the same song over and over again for hours. But Pink Floyd's Animals (obviously I really like the Floyd), Robert Plant and Allison Krauss's Raising Sand, Bob Frank and John Murry's At World's End, Katzenjammer's A Kiss Before You Go and Le Pop, Nick Cave's Push The Sky Away, Tom Waits' Alice, Nirvana's MTV Unplugged in New York, Vandaveer's Oh Willie Please, and Sturgill Simpson's A Sailor's Guide to Earth are all albums I'll listen to with a minimum of skipping around and repeating songs. I'm also obsessed with the Last of the Mohicans soundtrack, but not the shitty rerelease that butchers the best instrumental piece. 

Edited by Zella
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Jeeves said:

@doodlebug and @CalicoKitty - thanks for the info on Soda Stream. I'll probably pass on getting one since I don't drink carbonated water every day, week in and week out. I go through phases with it. At the moment I'm having about one can a day of Bubly/whatever but if I forget to buy more after I use up this carton of cans, I may go awhile before I buy the next batch.

And, wow, the Browns! I was thinking of you, @doodlebug, as I watched that game last night. That was amazing! TBH I wasn't paying close attention at the beginning, and even was watching something else for the first few minutes of the game. Then I tuned in the game and holy cow - it was something like Browns 28, Steelers 0, and it was still the first quarter. So IIRC, the Browns' coach was at home in his basement because he has COVID, other players were also not at the game, the Browns facility was closed all week, so the team hadn't had regular practices, and Baker Mayfield bleeping INTRODUCED HIMSELF to one of his receivers in the locker room just before the game last night. 

And the Browns were unstoppable out there. 

That's a win for the record books. 

Thanks, it was a very fun game to watch as a fan, too.  My sisters and I, all big fans, were texting each other furiously throughout the game, trying to be sure we weren't all having a mass hallucination.  If we were, it is ongoing as it still seems like the Browns won.

Baker Mayfield's post game interview was classic:  “We had Michael Dunn stepped in at left guard for Joel Bitonio and then Michael got hurt and a guy named Blake who I introduced myself to literally in the locker room before the game, stepped up in the fourth quarter,” Mayfield said post-game.  Maybe he can find out Blake's last name for next week.

Blake, whose last name is Hance, is 25, and that was his NFL debut.  He was on the Jets' practice squad the past two seasons and never activated for a game.  Because multiple members of the Browns' offensive line had COVID, the Browns were desperately seeking warm bodies to play on Sunday night.

After a completely unbelievable week, in a really bad way; it was wonderful to have a completely unbelievable Sunday night, in the best possible way.  I am hoping for a really unbelievable Monday night, too.

• Love 9
15 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Yes, I wish I had done that.  Tks for the tip.

What is a common resolution and also if in Landscape or Portrait?  I didn't change any of that, but am just trying to brainstorm.  I hope the tech guy can help. 

Sometimes when your press a button and accidently scroll at the same time, you might enlarge the screen. Maybe try scrolling backwards (or down).

Thanks for the info on Blake Hance. So he was an offensive lineman, not a receiver. Still a critical player for the offense. I'm glad you had fun watching the game. I'm sure the NFL network will replay it this week and I'll probably watch it because it was so much fun.

Five years ago when the Broncos were rolling toward SB 50, I had some fun times texting friends during games. I doubt we'll be sharing that experience again in the coming years, sigh. I'm now all in for either the Browns or KC to be AFC champs this year. I'm with @emma675 about the Steelers; I think highly of their head coach, not so highly (to say the least) of their QB. 

• Love 4
18 minutes ago, Zella said:

Even though I'm a 90s kid, the first album I ever bought was a CD of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon. 

It's hard for me to pick favorite albums. Changes by my mood. Also as I've noted on here, I'm really bad to just play the same song over and over again for hours. But Pink Floyd's Animals (obviously I really like the Floyd), Robert Plant and Allison Krauss's Raising Sand, Bob Frank and John Murry's At World's End, Katzenjammer's A Kiss Before You Go and Le Pop, Nick Cave's Push The Sky Away, Tom Waits' Alice, Nirvana's MTV Unplugged in New York, and Vandaveer's Oh Willie Please are all albums I'll listen to with a minimum of skipping around and repeating songs. I'm also obsessed with the Last of the Mohicans soundtrack, but not the shitty rerelease that butchers the best instrumental piece. 

When I went to college back in 1975, I am pretty sure owning the vinyl of Dark Side of the Moon was required for admission.  Almost every room in my dorm had the pyramid sticker that came with the album plastered on the door.  A friend in high school painted his bedroom window black with the prism and rainbow. And, yes, of course, I've listened to it while synced up with 'The Wizard of Oz'.  More than once.

As far as albums go, I change all the time. And, since I am a child of the 60's and 70's, I listened to real albums.

My top five:

Born to Run,  Bruce Springsteen.  Multiple other albums of his get honorable mention here

Revolver, The Beatles.  Once again, multiple other albums right up there, too.

Simple Dreams, Linda Ronstadt.  One of the most beautiful voices ever.  F***Parkinson's.

Spirit of America, The Beach Boys.  No better band for cruising on a summer day.

Graceland, Paul Simon.  It blew me away first time I heard it and it still does.  Every single time.

I realize that every single album on this list is more than 30 years old.  We love what we loved when we were kids.  And, yes, I owned every single one of these in the original vinyl back in the day.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 9
1 minute ago, doodlebug said:

When I went to college back in 1975, I am pretty sure owning the vinyl of Dark Side of the Moon was required for admission.  Almost every room in my dorm had the pyramid sticker that came with the album plastered on the door.  A friend in high school painted his bedroom window black with the prism and rainbow.

As far as albums go, I change all the time. And, since I am a child of the 60's and 70's, I listened to real albums.

My top five:

Born to Run,  Bruce Springsteen.  Multiple other albums of his get honorable mention here

Simple Dreams, Linda Ronstadt.  One of the most beautiful voices ever.  F***Parkinson's.

Spirit of America, The Beach Boys.  No better band for cruising on a summer day.

Graceland, Paul Simon.  It blew me away first time I heard it and it still does.  Every single time.

I realize that every single album on this list is more than 30 years old.  We love what we loved when we were kids.

I attended a community college in the early 2010s and took a class on music appreciation. Fun class. The last day of the semester, we were asked to bring a favorite piece of music. I brought Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here. After everyone yammered on about what they liked, we got to vote for what to listen to in the final minutes. I figured it would be something new. We had a pretty diverse age range in there, from 18-year-olds to 50-somethings. But everyone was like "LET'S LISTEN TO PINK FLOYD!" So, we ended the semester with "Welcome to the Machine." 🤣

It's still the only contest I've ever won. 😄 

• LOL 2
  • Love 6
12 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

Michael Bolton  When A Man Loves A Woman

oh mercy!!!  i love Michael Bolton although i don't often hear him on the radio anymore. seen him in concert 3 times, with amazing 1,2,3 row seats!  

• Love 2
1 minute ago, doodlebug said:

Just remember that next week, Zella.

That win will not be acceptable. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Truthfully, if the Chiefs get knocked out of it, I'd probably still root for Cleveland. I was always more of an AFC girl, and I like Cleveland better than the 2 remaining non-Chiefs teams. 

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

My favorite album is Marvin Gaye’s What’s Going On. A masterpiece from beginning to end. 

Oooooh!  Another of my absolute favorites!  'I Heard it Through the Grapevine' by Marvin is at the very top of my list for the ages.  Just a brilliant musician and that voice!

I'm also a massive Motown fan although my playlist above doesn't reflect that.  Growing up in Cleveland, there was a radio station out of Windsor, Ontario outside Detroit called CKLW.  They had the most powerful signal in the midwest and everyone listened.  They played a ton of Motown, of course, and I grew to love it so much.  I can still sing their jingle.  'The Big 8' was their nickname because the station was at 800 AM. I've got greatest hits compilations from Marvin, Smokey, Aretha, Gladys, the Supremes and on and on.  Great sing along stuff.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 4
13 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

When I went to college back in 1975, I am pretty sure owning the vinyl of Dark Side of the Moon was required for admission.  Almost every room in my dorm had the pyramid sticker that came with the album plastered on the door.  A friend in high school painted his bedroom window black with the prism and rainbow.

My top five:

I realize that every single album on this list is more than 30 years old.  We love what we loved when we were kids.  And, yes, I owned every single one of these in the original vinyl back in the day.

I've been thinking about an answer to favorite albums and having trouble narrowing it down, but this one by Linda Ronstadt could easily be one.  I'd also pick one by The Eagles and one by Queen.

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

Oooooh!  Another of my absolute favorites!  'I Heard it Through the Grapevine' by Marvin is at the very top of my list for the ages.  Just a brilliant musician and that voice!

I'm also a massive Motown fan although my playlist above doesn't reflect that.  Growing up in Cleveland, there was a radio station out of 
Windsor, Ontario outside Detroit called CKLW.  They had the most powerful signal in the midwest and everyone listened.  They played a ton of Motown, of course, and I grew to love it so much.  I can still sing their jingle.  'The Big 8' was their nickname because the station was at 800 AM. I've got greatest hits compilations from Marvin, Smokey, Aretha, Gladys, the Supremes and on and on.  Great sing along stuff.

Ha. CKLW!!!! I can still hear the jingle, too! I was born and raised in Ann Arbor and that was the first radio station I ever listened to. Later in high school I changed over to WWWW on FM, I think? “W4” ring a bell? But yes, I was a Motown girl from the jump.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Oldernowiser said:

Ha. CKLW!!!! I can still hear the jingle, too! I was born and raised in Ann Arbor and that was the first radio station I ever listened to. Later in high school I changed over to WWWW on FM, I think? “W4” ring a bell? But yes, I was a Motown girl from the jump.

In Cleveland, it was WIXY 1260 for the lightweight pop stuff and, eventually, WMMS, The Buzzard; which achieved legendary status for album oriented rock and broke multiple acts in the US including Bowie and Springsteen.

• Love 1
34 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

Thanks, it was a very fun game to watch as a fan, too.  My sisters and I, all big fans, were texting each other furiously throughout the game, trying to be sure we weren't all having a mass hallucination.  If we were, it is ongoing as it still seems like the Browns won.

Baker Mayfield's post game interview was classic:  “We had Michael Dunn stepped in at left guard for Joel Bitonio and then Michael got hurt and a guy named Blake who I introduced myself to literally in the locker room before the game, stepped up in the fourth quarter,” Mayfield said post-game.  Maybe he can find out Blake's last name for next week.

Blake, whose last name is Hance, is 25, and that was his NFL debut.  He was on the Jets' practice squad the past two seasons and never activated for a game.  Because multiple members of the Browns' offensive line had COVID, the Browns were desperately seeking warm bodies to play on Sunday night.

After a completely unbelievable week, in a really bad way; it was wonderful to have a completely unbelievable Sunday night, in the best possible way.  I am hoping for a really unbelievable Monday night, too.

I absolutely love Baker and his one-liners.  That one is right up there with "I woke up feeling dangerous" and "Jesus, Tony."  I am working on making sure my nephew is a Browns fan.  His daddy is a Cowboys Fan.  He went to bed last night wearing his Baker Mayfield tee (or as he calls it his Mickey Brownie shirt), and wore his Baker jersey to school this morning.  

IMG_1847.jpg

• LOL 1
  • Love 9
On 1/9/2021 at 7:47 PM, crazycatlady58 said:

I put a lot of my Facebook friends on a 30 day snooze. 

I ended up unfriending one Wednesday night. She felt what happened was a noble cause. Then she blew up my phone when she noticed I unfriended her telling me I was this, that, and the other. I am the problem and she will never speak to me again. She better keep her word, or she will be blocked.

So...news. My family got quite a surprise this week. I will be getting grandchild #3 later this year. My son & DIL tried for years between #1 and #2, and #2 was just born this summer. So a complete surprise!
Mr. Turquoise and I had been looking to move closer to my family for a while, but Covid put a big dent in job hunting. I did have a second interview with a place last week, and am supposed to receive an answer this week. I don't really want to get even a little excited yet, but it would be nice.

• Love 17
54 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

When I went to college back in 1975, I am pretty sure owning the vinyl of Dark Side of the Moon was required for admission.  Almost every room in my dorm had the pyramid sticker that came with the album plastered on the door.  A friend in high school painted his bedroom window black with the prism and rainbow. And, yes, of course, I've listened to it while synced up with 'The Wizard of Oz'.  More than once.

My top five:

Revolver IS the best Beatles album! I grew up in the 70s/80s obsessed with the Beatles, and still am.

52 minutes ago, zoomama said:

oh mercy!!!  i love Michael Bolton although i don't often hear him on the radio anymore. seen him in concert 3 times, with amazing 1,2,3 row seats!  

I don’t care for his music, but I once saw him sitting around the pool at the Beverly Hills Hotel 🙂.

• Love 3

Have enjoyed seeing everyone's favorite music. I have developed an extensive and eclectic playlist.

My #1 artist is Willie Nelson - a unique voice and a poet. Have been to many of his shows over the years. He really is an artist. I love that he just walks out on stage very nonchalantly and begins playing/singing. His recents shows are more unstructured, almost like he plays whatever he wants and everyone joins in. With his age, I wonder each time if that will be his last show I attend. (Have tickets for April ! - realize that may not be possible with Covid, won't take any chances).

Other favorites in no particular order: Aretha Franklin, Peter, Paul and Mary, Neil Diamond, all jazz and many Broadway show tunes.

Yes, I am old - 64.

Edited by whydoiwatch
forgot to mention something -oops
  • Love 9
4 minutes ago, whydoiwatch said:

Have enjoyed seeing everyone's favorite music. I have developed an extensive and eclectic playlist.

My #1 artist is Willie Nelson - a unique voice and a poet. Have been to many of his shows over the years. He really is an artist. I love that he just walks out on stage very nonchalantly and begins playing/singing. His recents shows are more unstructured, almost like he plays whatever he wants and everyone joins in. With his age, I wonder each time if that will be his last show I attend. (Have tickets for April !)

Other favorites in no particular order: Aretha Franklin, Peter, Paul and Mary, Neil Diamond, all jazz and many Broadway show tunes.

Yes, I am old - 64.

While Willie does not rank into my Top 5 artists, I do have a soft spot for him.  I love how Willie is Willie, and he is game for whatever collaboration he is pitched.  Willie and Julio doing "To All the Girls I loved Before" should not work, but it does.  

• Love 4
6 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I have too many favorite albums to name, but my all time favorite, hands down, is Tapestry by Carole King.

Tapestry is one of my all time favorites, and I have owned it in every format —vinyl, 8 track, cassette, cd and mp3.  I even have a 25th anniversary ‘tribute’ version, where the songs are performed by different artists.  It is the only cd I ever bought from one of those late night tv commercials.

I was even able to listen to CKLW at night on Long Island and maybe a Cleveland station.  It’s amazing how many stations we were able to find late on a summer night when the only entertainment you have is an AM radio—no tv, internet or computer.  Our 60’s radio stations in NY were WMCA and the Good Guys, and of course 77 WABC .  Then came WCBS-FM 101.1, until that infamous day when the music was “jacked”.  Now I have SiriusXM in the car and I’m happy with 60’s on 6.

I have to think a bit about my favorite albums..

• Love 6

I am old and my absolute favorites are Van Morrison, Linda Ronstadt, The Eagles and Queen.  But I listen to new stuff too.  For example, things more current: The Avett Brothers, Mumford and Sons, Sturgil Simpson, Nathaniel Ratliff & the Night Sweats, The Black Keys are just a few of them.

• Love 5

I think Neil Diamond is a never mentioned favorite for anyone older than 55. I don't think I've met anyone over 55 who can't sing most of his songs word for word, and with a smile on their faces and a sway in their bodies.

• Love 11
15 minutes ago, Suzn said:

I am old and my absolute favorites are Van Morrison, Linda Ronstadt, The Eagles and Queen.  But I listen to new stuff too.  For example, things more current: The Avett Brothers, Mumford and Sons, Sturgil Simpson, Nathaniel Ratliff & the Night Sweats, The Black Keys are just a few of them.

Van Morrison is also a god, IMO.  His music transcends almost every genre.  He's recorded more than 40 albums, so its really hard to pick a fave.  I play his Greatest Hits CD a lot.  Moondance, Tupelo Honey, Hymns to the Silence, Astral Weeks, Avalon Sunset.  Great CD's and I own them all.  Not a clunker in the bunch.  And Van Morrison and The Chieftains Irish Heartbeat is a must for St. Patrick's Day.

I had tickets to see him in Vegas a couple years ago and had to cancel due to the death of a close friend's husband.  I hope I get another chance although I hear he is quite eccentric and plays whatever he feels like playing and pretty much ignores the audience.  

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I think Neil Diamond is a never mentioned favorite for anyone older than 55. I don't think I've met anyone over 55 who can't sing most of his songs word for word, and with a smile on their faces and a sway in their bodies.

First concert I ever attended, with my sister and a friend.  I was 14, in ninth grade.  We had great seats and he smiled at me during Cherry, Cherry; I'm sure of it.

• Love 12
9 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

Van Morrison is also a god, IMO.  His music transcends almost every genre.  He's recorded more than 40 albums, so its really hard to pick a fave.  I play his Greatest Hits CD a lot.  Moondance, Tupelo Honey, Hymns to the Silence, Astral Weeks, Avalon Sunset.  Great CD's and I own them all.  Not a clunker in the bunch.  And Van Morrison and The Chieftains Irish Heartbeat is a must for St. Patrick's Day.

I had tickets to see him in Vegas a couple years ago and had to cancel due to the death of a close friend's husband.  I hope I get another chance although I hear he is quite eccentric and plays whatever he feels like playing and pretty much ignores the audience.  

To see Van Morrison in person would be a dream come true for me!

• Love 4
37 minutes ago, Suzn said:

This reminded me that I forgot Sturgill Simpson from my favorite album list! I'm editing my comment to add A Sailor's Guide to Earth. 🙂 

BTW have you checked out his new releases where he is covering his own work? At first I thought the concept sounds kind of weird, but it's actually really good! 

47 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I am now singing Sweet Caroline in my head, smiling and trying not sway b/c I'm at work & don't want to look like a loon.

• LOL 5
  • Love 5

Well, I received an offer this afternoon! Salary was a touch low, seeing how the counteroffer goes.

On the albums, I don't know if I can limit down to a Top 10. I'm such a mood listener. I took Christmas decorations down Saturday, and it felt like an Amy Winehouse Day. Took Back to Black, Lioness, and half of Frank to get done. Could have gotten through more of Frank, but I had to play F@#$ Me Pumps more than once...

• Love 17
17 hours ago, Jeeves said:

Speaking of giving up soda (great idea, and good for you, @iwantcookies😞 has anyone used one of those Soda Stream machines? 

I have a DrinkMate which is like the Soda Stream except that it is designed to work on liquids other than water, even thick ones like coffee.  I love it because I can make my apple cider into sparkling apple cider in addition to making my own seltzer. 

Both brands use the exact same CO2 canisters so you can get them from either company.  Pre-pandemic SS had the easier/cheaper canister exchange program because you could walk into a place like walmart and do an exchange for about $15.  Now they will only sell you the new canister and not do an exchange in my area.  You can do an exchange by mail with both companies. 

Comparing exchanging 2 canisters at a time by mail:  SS: You pay $30 for 2 new canisters plus $16 shipping.  You then must mail the old canisters back.  If more than 30 days elapses between the time they ship the new ones to the time they receive the old ones, then they charge you an additional $30.  Officially they aren't giving a grace period for shipping delays, but some people are finding they get one.  DM:  You buy 2 new canisters for $60, shipping is currently free.  They provide a return shipping label for your empties.  Any time you return at least 2 empties, you get $12.50 per empty in store credit.  Each canister makes about 60L of beverage for either brand. 

BTW, you can actually now order Bubly brand flavor drops from SS which works with any seltzer maker. 

One warning for people thinking of making actual soda in one of those machines:  the SS soda mixes are a bit odd.  Even the non-diet ones are half sucralose.  There are third parties that will sell mixes that are made with just sugar but those mixes are $$$ due to the volume that much sugar takes up in the syrup.  

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Turquoise said:

Well, I received an offer this afternoon! Salary was a touch low, seeing how the counteroffer goes.

On the albums, I don't know if I can limit down to a Top 10. I'm such a mood listener. I took Christmas decorations down Saturday, and it felt like an Amy Winehouse Day. Took Back to Black, Lioness, and half of Frank to get done. Could have gotten through more of Frank, but I had to play F@#$ Me Pumps more than once...

It's not usually my kind of thing, but I always really liked Amy Winehouse and her music. I need to revisit her! 

• Love 1

I gave up soda years ago (except true Italian sodas, and the occasional Boylan or other brand made with real sugar), but I like bubbles.  I have a Soda Stream but find the plain sparkling water tastes awful.  My tap water tastes fine.  So I use the Soda Stream water to mix with lemonade, Italian soda or other beverage.  I still buy flavoured sparkling water occasionally, generally a store brand lemon or lime flavour rather than Perrier. I hate Bubly and La Croix. I wish we could get Spindrift in Canada. 

Edited by Quof
  • Love 1
13 minutes ago, Turquoise said:

That's great I am so happy for you. I hope you get all of the compensation you deserved.

So my therapist tells me I need to feel free to cry more, I told her I cried on Saturday ( I was FaceTiming with my good friend in Taiwan, she loves it there and I am so glad for her) that my great aunt finally has a fridge, and I was feeling sad over my godmother, but that I do think I am biologically pre-disposed to cry LESS than the typical person (for me crying is like an 8 out of 10 on the distress scale). She told me in 32 years of practicing she had never heard of that before and that it was a learned behavior, and to go ahead and cry. Guess I am a total bullshitter. First cry of 2021 over with! 

I had left over lentil soup for lunch, and I am I having some greek yogurt and blackberries for a snack. Last night I looked up the nutrition facts on the Bundlet from Nothing Bunt Cakes I had for my sister's birthday to log it in my WW app. (330 for half) WHO IN THE WORLD eats 1/2 of one of those buntlets? Its like the size of a big cupcake! I could understand maybe splitting one if you had a big meal and just wanted a taste, but no, its a single serving for an adult. I think they do that to make the calories lower so that people feel better.

• Love 9
48 minutes ago, Quof said:

I gave up soda years ago (except true Italian sodas, and the occasional Boylan or other brand made with real sugar), but I like bubbles.  I have a Soda Stream but find the plain sparkling water tastes awful.  My tap water tastes fine.  So I use the Soda Stream water to mix with lemonade, Italian soda or other beverage.  I still buy flavoured sparkling water occasionally, generally a store brand lemon or lime flavour rather than Perrier. I hate Bubly and La Croix. I wish we could get Spindrift in Canada. 

Spindrift is the shit.  I will go out of my way just to pick up a pack.  Bonus, it mixes well with vodka.   I can only drink La Croix or Bubly over ice.  It's not as bad out of a can.  

• Love 1

I’m getting frustrated at work. I feel as though  “my person” undermines medical care to her detriment. Possible ear infection? Make an appointment,  go to the appointment. Doctor prescribes an antibiotic. Pick up antibiotic. While I’m there she gets two doses. It’s 3 times a day. She’s perfectly capable of taking the third dose. But no, she decides it made her stomach hurt so she’s taken it twice a day for a week. 🤦‍♀️
Guess who still has a sinus infection, and now an ear infection too? Yup, had an appointment today, new antibiotic. 😌 

Anybody here like Harlequin romances? I'm asking because my aunt writes for them and has a new trilogy coming! The first book is already out, the second will be in March and the third later in the year! 

• Love 10
6 hours ago, doodlebug said:

And, yes, of course, I've listened to it while synced up with 'The Wizard of Oz'.  More than once.

I’ve never heard of this. Could please explain this to me? 

Edited to add: It reminds me of when people used to play the Beatles backwards to get a hidden meaning. 

Edited by Mindthinkr