Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

34 minutes ago, Jenniferbug said:

Does anyone know how long coronavirus would live on a stuffed animal?

My husband is out of town this weekend, and the girls and I usually go to Build A Bear as part of our girls weekend traditions. I know our local store is requiring masks, but not sure if I need to be concerned about the toys themselves being viral free. If we go, would sticking them in the freezer overnight kill any virus? 

Id just wash the stuffed animal or spray it with lysol once you get home. 

• Love 5
10 hours ago, fonfereksglen said:

The huge problem is tastes have changed.  Despite having literally tons of good stuff...after their assessment,  an estate sale would not have made a cent after the cost of their time and labor during the sale.   Very sobering.

What does sell well is tools, athletic stuff and outdoor equipment.  Eventually, one of my nephews spent hours preparing a rummage sale, which helped with his college costs and sold a lot of the popular rummage sale stuff, while the rest was donated or was dealt with by the people hired.  Cleaning out 60 plus years can be difficult.

Your experience reflects what I've read about the current value of china, crystal glassware, etc. - it ain't what it used to be. A few years ago I saw an episode of Antiques Roadshow on PBS, where they showed items that had been appraised on the show years before, and then did current appraisals. It was crazy; so many things had fallen in value, significantly. 

In a small way I saw that a few years ago. Back in the 80's and early 90's I'd acquired some "Depression" decorative glass, which had been stored in boxes for years. So, I thought I'd clear out some excess, and sell all but a couple of pieces on eBay. Holy smokes, no way! A few minutes looking at listings, prices of actual sales, and calculating the fees I'd pay? Prompted a huge donation of most of that stuff. OTOH as I was going through those storage boxes I found one with some old electronics I'd tossed in when I retired from my full time job and brought them home from the office with no need to use them at home. An old trackball sold in like ten minutes for nearly $100. Go figure. (It was a discontinued Microsoft model that apparently is still very popular among some people.) 

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
14 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

Your experience reflects what I've read about the current value of china, crystal glassware, etc. - it ain't what it used to be. A few years ago I saw an episode of Antiques Roadshow on PBS, where they showed items that had been appraised on the show years before, and then did current appraisals. It was crazy; so many things had fallen in value, significantly. 

In a small way I saw that a few years ago. Back in the 80's and early 90's I'd acquired some "Depression" decorative glass, which had been stored in boxes for years. So, I thought I'd clear out some excess, and sell all but a couple of pieces on eBay. Holy smokes, no way! A few minutes looking at listings, prices of actual sales, and calculating the fees I'd pay? Prompted a huge donation of most of that stuff. OTOH as I was going through those storage boxes I found one with some old electronics I'd tossed in when I retired from my full time job and brought them home from the office with no need to use them at home. An old trackball sold in like ten minutes for nearly $100. Go figure. (It was a discontinued Microsoft model that apparently is still very popular among some people.) 

In that position I’d donate that stuff to a local theatre or something. They are always looking for period appropriate props/set pieces. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

In that position I’d donate that stuff to a local theatre or something. They are always looking for period appropriate props/set pieces. 

Oh, it wasn't actual tableware, just mostly small vases, etc., that wouldn't even be visible from the third row, lol.

I'm sure the charity store shoppers had a good time with them. And thank goodness I've never been the least bit interested in owning "good china" or "real" silverware. I've bought nice dinnerware (but not fine china) over the years, and as my tastes changed I was able to replace it a few times. I didn't keep the old stuff. I sold a few serving pieces on eBay and gave the rest away. My current dishes are plain white Corelle and my flatware is good quality Oneida stainless.

I was something of a shopaholic in decades gone by. If I got into something (clothing, tchotchkes, dishes, whatever), I would just keep buying past the point where I needed or could really use it. I had a fling with Fiestaware, but man that stuff is big and heavy. A friend who loves that stuff was the beneficiary of my replacing it with simple white dishes. These days I'm less hot to buy things and more prone to spending a day having a good clear-out. There's a stack of stuff sitting in my bedroom waiting to be taken to donate to a charity thrift shop, come to think of it. 

• Love 8
14 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

I feel for anyone who has to deal with a hoarder, it is really one of my nightmare. I suspect my aunt and uncle probably fall into the hoarder category, since they stopped letting anyone but their kids in their house years ago (it was already a mess then). My mother in law, who is otherwise a shining example of lovely mothers-in-law, has blithely told my husband that she doesn’t worry about getting rid of everything because she’s just going to leave it to him (i.e. me) to deal with when she’s gone. It’s not that she brings things - she rarely buys things- as just doesn’t get rid of things, even when they are broken, falling apart, etc. Everything just goes in the basement. I suppose the upside is that there is little in good condition that my husband wants, so when it comes to pass (many years in the future), we will be able to rent some dumpsters and chuck 90% of it out without looking at it. In the meantime, whenever she asks if we’d like to take something home that she has no use for, we do, and then promptly donate or chuck it. 

My mother says all the time that "you kids" (most in our 60s) are going to have to deal with all of this when I'm gone. It's so unfair to do this to your kids and my husband and I have pared down our possessions a lot to avoid doing that to our kids. 

In other news, I got a new crown Wednesday and it already fell out yesterday. The dentist put it back on and said this has never happened to her before, but now I'm afraid to eat on that side. She said if it happens again she'll have a new one made with more "etching" to bond better to the remains of my tooth, (at no cost to me) but I'd rather it just stay put! I did not anticipate two visits to the dentist during a pandemic. I also have a get together scheduled for Saturday with a group of women friends I haven't seen in months. We are fewer than 10 and will be distanced outdoors. If I go,  I'll keep an N95 mask on and sanitizer handy. I won't eat or drink anything I didn't bring. But it still makes me nervous! I'm in IL and while we've done well with cases going down, they are on the rise again. I also wonder if my 2 visits to the dentist (waiting in car to be checked in, temp taken, mask wearing except for the procedure) should be reason not to go for the sake of my friends' health. 

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, BetyBee said:

My mother says all the time that "you kids" (most in our 60s) are going to have to deal with all of this when I'm gone. It's so unfair to do this to your kids and my husband and I have pared down our possessions a lot to avoid doing that to our kids. 

In other news, I got a new crown Wednesday and it already fell out yesterday. The dentist put it back on and said this has never happened to her before, but now I'm afraid to eat on that side. She said if it happens again she'll have a new one made with more "etching" to bond better to the remains of my tooth, (at no cost to me) but I'd rather it just stay put! I did not anticipate two visits to the dentist during a pandemic. I also have a get together scheduled for Saturday with a group of women friends I haven't seen in months. We are fewer than 10 and will be distanced outdoors. If I go,  I'll keep an N95 mask on and sanitizer handy. I won't eat or drink anything I didn't bring. But it still makes me nervous! I'm in IL and while we've done well with cases going down, they are on the rise again. I also wonder if my 2 visits to the dentist (waiting in car to be checked in, temp taken, mask wearing except for the procedure) should be reason not to go for the sake of my friends' health. 

Sorry for your dental troubles!

Guess what- I have my first cavity!!!! Yes yes yes I was so shocked!!! I’m getting it filled in September (time I had scheduled off to go to Disney World), I didn’t get it fixed during my day off because never having been through this before I didn’t know how I would feel and I didn’t want to ruin my day off. My 34 year cavity free streak is OVER😧

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Jeeves said:

I fear that we might have that problem down the line. We have a lot of china and crystal which we got when we were stationed in Scotland back around 1989-1991. There was a special deal available at one point through the Submarine tender which let us buy Royal Doulton china and Edinburgh Crystal for something crazy like 10% over wholesale, and Mr Jyn, being who he is, had to get basically everything available in multiples of 12 for both the china and crystal set we picked. We have 12 of 11 different glasses, from liqueur to sherry to claret, to white wine, to whiskey, to water, with whatever else in between, plus every decanter they made to match. Luckily we have only lost about three or four pieces due to moves and mishaps, but he always insisted on getting replacements when we could. Those replacements are far from cheap - even a tiny liqueur glass will run some $40 since the company has since gone out of business, and this is really high end crystal. If we could sell them off individually as replacements they might be valuable, but, realistically, that would probably just be putting holes in a complete collection. Maybe our three kids might be interested in some of it after we downsize or pass away. Same with the china...but to be honest, I don't know how interested they really would be in most of it. We have gotten a good deal of use out of the china, really, since that's used for most holidays and birthdays, but I know that we've probably never used at least half the crystal since there are just some things which we have never run into the need for, or only use maybe two or three at a time. The vast majority of the time we use cheap glassware, and wine glasses that we got for free at tastings!

It all does look so pretty and sparkly in the dining room hutch, though, that I'd never be able to use that Marie Kondo mantra to get rid of it, because it undeniably sparks joy in my little magpie heart.

• Love 19
2 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Leave them in a hot car in the sun for a couple of hours.  They'll be fine.  

• Love 4
29 minutes ago, Absolom said:

Leave them in a hot car in the sun for a couple of hours.  They'll be fine.  

23 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

I wasn’t the original poster of that question it was @Jenniferbug- tagging her so she sees. 

Thank you both! I'll try that! 😊

I think I'll take them...I feel like it's risky since it's not a necessary trip out of the house, but then I feel bad because my kids have been so understanding this whole summer of not being able to go anywhere or on our usual vacations/day trips that I want to do this one thing for them. Husband thinks it's worth going when they first open so it's not crowded and the girls are good about leaving masks on and not touching them so I think we'll try it since the stuffed animals can disinfect in sunlight/heat. 

• Love 9
16 hours ago, fonfereksglen said:

After my dad died two years ago,  we hired a company that specializes in cleaning out the junk while assessing value of the good stuff with the goal of an estate auction.  And to help my other DNA provider transition into a wonderful senior living community.  This company also coordinated her move, and helped fix up her apartment.  Money well spent.

The huge problem is tastes have changed.  Despite having literally tons of good stuff...after their assessment,  an estate sale would not have made a cent after the cost of their time and labor during the sale.   Very sobering.

What does sell well is tools, athletic stuff and outdoor equipment.  Eventually, one of my nephews spent hours preparing a rummage sale, which helped with his college costs and sold a lot of the popular rummage sale stuff, while the rest was donated or was dealt with by the people hired.  Cleaning out 60 plus years can be difficult.

And then came the sale of the house.  😬😡😬😡😬😡😬😡.

That was our experience when my dad died and we had to clean out 45 years worth of stuff (and what my folks had inherited from their family).

• Love 6
5 hours ago, Jeeves said:

Oh, it wasn't actual tableware, just mostly small vases, etc., that wouldn't even be visible from the third row, lol.

I'm sure the charity store shoppers had a good time with them. And thank goodness I've never been the least bit interested in owning "good china" or "real" silverware. I've bought nice dinnerware (but not fine china) over the years, and as my tastes changed I was able to replace it a few times. I didn't keep the old stuff. I sold a few serving pieces on eBay and gave the rest away. My current dishes are plain white Corelle and my flatware is good quality Oneida stainless.

I was something of a shopaholic in decades gone by. If I got into something (clothing, tchotchkes, dishes, whatever), I would just keep buying past the point where I needed or could really use it. I had a fling with Fiestaware, but man that stuff is big and heavy. A friend who loves that stuff was the beneficiary of my replacing it with simple white dishes. These days I'm less hot to buy things and more prone to spending a day having a good clear-out. There's a stack of stuff sitting in my bedroom waiting to be taken to donate to a charity thrift shop, come to think of it. 

I love my Fiestaware and will never give it up.  The factory is across the Ohio River from where my dad grew up, and one of my uncles worked for Homer Laughlin for years.  Everytime I use one of my mugs, it's a piece of home.

• Love 12
7 hours ago, Jenniferbug said:

My husband is out of town this weekend, and the girls and I usually go to Build A Bear as part of our girls weekend traditions. I know our local store is requiring masks, but not sure if I need to be concerned about the toys themselves being viral free. If we go, would sticking them in the freezer overnight kill any virus? 

It appears the virus doesn't last long on inanimate objects, especially fabrics.  How about tossing the bears into a pillow case and giving them a spin in the dryer on high for about 10 minutes?  Temperatures above 130 F kill the virus.

• Useful 7
  • Love 2
On 7/28/2020 at 9:33 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

THANK YOU!  

While overall, the mask situation is much improved in NC, now that there is a state mandate, there are still some major issues.  I have a friend who was was recently invited to an outdoor birthday party by a close friend. Supposedly  masks would be worn, setup outside, distancing, etc.  But, upon arrival, everyone was inside, no masks,........my friend was upset and confused, though, I don't think she said anything, just said happy birthday and left.  Also, my parent's church was scheduled to have a REVIVAL for 4 nights INSIDE the church with special singing from a group of people.  ALL of these people from out of state!  Of course, my parents, were not going to attend.   Over the weekend, it was announced, it was postponed.  No reason given, except that we discovered on FB that one of the singers in the group is in hospital on ventilator.  They haven't said covid, but, you can read that's what it is.  So, they are not traveling all across the country singing like they were until recently.  They are asking people not to judge them.......there are no words. 

Everything is so confusing.  I don’t blame you.  We try to follow the rules and be careful.  I scraped my leg on the car door.  I called my Primary care Dr. and they wouldn’t take me and said go to a walk in or Emergency.  I went to a walk in clinic and got nine stitches.  Then, I see it was a Covid testing station.  I went twice already and have to go again this weekend to get the remaining stitches out.  Needless to say, the clinic was very clean, but I am still uncomfortable going there and have been so careful all along.  Our hands are tied all around and we have to cross our fingers and hope for the best.  Who knows who is walking into a clinic and for what?  Yikes.  I have no choice.

• Love 11
43 minutes ago, Silver Bells said:

Everything is so confusing.  I don’t blame you.  We try to follow the rules and be careful.  I scraped my leg on the car door.  I called my Primary care Dr. and they wouldn’t take me and said go to a walk in or Emergency.  I went to a walk in clinic and got nine stitches.  Then, I see it was a Covid testing station.  I went twice already and have to go again this weekend to get the remaining stitches out.  Needless to say, the clinic was very clean, but I am still uncomfortable going there and have been so careful all along.  Our hands are tied all around and we have to cross our fingers and hope for the best.  Who knows who is walking into a clinic and for what?  Yikes.  I have no choice.

The hospital system where I work has COVID testing stations in some of the Urgent Cares, too.  They are only doing tests on people who are scheduled for surgery or other medical procedures.  People who have symptoms are either tested in the ER if they're that sick or they go to the main campus of the hospital where they do the testing in a parking garage where no one leaves their car and the public is not allowed to enter.

Even though the Urgent Care doesn't see sick people for COVID testing, they are very, very careful.  First, anyone coming for a COVID test must schedule an appointment.  Then, there are designated parking spaces for those coming to be tested.  When they arrive, they call a number they've been given and someone from the Urgent Care comes out in full protective gear, has them roll down the window and does the test.  The person being tested never even enters the clinic.  

Anyone who walks into the clinic is immediately given a mask and hand sanitizer and their temperature taken.  If they have anything resembling COVID symptoms, they are turned away and sent to the ER or a testing facility for those who are sick.

Due to the upswing in COVID in Ohio, my employers now require ALL employees who have direct contact with patients, even the clerical folks, to wear a paper surgical mask and a face shield.  No exceptions.  Surgical masks seems to work better than cloth ones.  The face shields are flexible plastic and come in several styles including some that are attached to the mask at the factory.  They all suck.  They are hot, they distort your voice and they fog up like crazy which is really annoying.  I've tried multiple types in the few days we've been required to wear them and don't like any of them but I guess I will have to get used to them.

• Love 8
(edited)

I was perfectly satisfied with the group that did my covid test last week. I drove up masked in parking lot and protected nurse came to my car, where she took swab. It took only about a minute and I was gone. The colonoscopy floor was good. Everyone masked, clean, etc. They told me everything I was given to touch had been sanitized. I still used sanitizer afterwards. Also, I kept my mask on the entire time, even while asleep. 

Then, as I posted previously, over the weekend, my dad's primary office receptionists were not wearing masks this weekend. They were behind plexiglass screen, but, there was a cut out portion. Supervisor took my complaint. When, I took dad in the same office yesterday, receptionists were in masks, however, I noticed that about half of the nurses and staff in the back who are with patients, taking vitals, escorting to rooms, had their mask down below their noses or hanging down below their chins.  I just don't understand what makes them think this is okay. I can sort of see it with grocery store employees, but, medical professionals! They are treating seniors and sick people.   I was appalled, but, have not reported it.  I guess everyone knows about it.  I went back to the car and waited for daddy. I won't be going back into that office and I've suggested to daddy that he get a different primary. He's been with them for over 25 years.  Maybe, Doctor Making Housecalls.  I realize there are risks with all options.  I'm just waiting for them to have a serious outbreak, which would likely close that office.  They have at least 50 staff members. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe

I go monthly for treatment for a chronic medical condition.  I have to have a patient ID card and have it out to even get in line to go in.  Then there is a temperature check and a list of questions.  I have to also have on a mask to get that far.  Then they give me a surgical mask of theirs that I have to wear.  Everyone who works there goes that procedure to go in.  Oh and you get a colored armband you have to wear to show you went through the process.  Once I get upstairs, we do the same thing again even though I have an armband.  No family is allowed to go in unless the patient is mentally incompetent or a minor.  Then it's only one family member allowed.   Every employee is wearing the face mask and has it on covering mouth and nose.  I was really nervous the first time I went, but it's gotten more comfortable since everyone complies.  I wouldn't go to a place where the medical employees weren't compliant.  In fact, I'd report them to the county health organization.

• Love 13
2 hours ago, doodlebug said:

The hospital system where I work has COVID testing stations in some of the Urgent Cares, too.  They are only doing tests on people who are scheduled for surgery or other medical procedures.  People who have symptoms are either tested in the ER if they're that sick or they go to the main campus of the hospital where they do the testing in a parking garage where no one leaves their car and the public is not allowed to enter.

Even though the Urgent Care doesn't see sick people for COVID testing, they are very, very careful.  First, anyone coming for a COVID test must schedule an appointment.  Then, there are designated parking spaces for those coming to be tested.  When they arrive, they call a number they've been given and someone from the Urgent Care comes out in full protective gear, has them roll down the window and does the test.  The person being tested never even enters the clinic.  

Anyone who walks into the clinic is immediately given a mask and hand sanitizer and their temperature taken.  If they have anything resembling COVID symptoms, they are turned away and sent to the ER or a testing facility for those who are sick.

Due to the upswing in COVID in Ohio, my employers now require ALL employees who have direct contact with patients, even the clerical folks, to wear a paper surgical mask and a face shield.  No exceptions.  Surgical masks seems to work better than cloth ones.  The face shields are flexible plastic and come in several styles including some that are attached to the mask at the factory.  They all suck.  They are hot, they distort your voice and they fog up like crazy which is really annoying.  I've tried multiple types in the few days we've been required to wear them and don't like any of them but I guess I will have to get used to them.

Thank you for all that information.  It makes sense now.  Before my cataract surgery seven weeks ago, I had to go to the hospital parking lot and someone came out and did a Covid test, so you are absolutely right.  I feel better now. 😀 Why didn’t I think of that, duh.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, crazycatlady58 said:

I don't think she has posted in a long time. I hope she is ok.

I think she just has a lot on her plate and has let posting here slide a bit. I have her as a Facebook friend and see the occasional post, though we don't really converse much. She seems to be fine and in good spirits.

• Useful 4
  • Love 10
4 hours ago, Temperance said:

I miss @MyPeopleAreNordic and @Celia Rubenstein. I hope they are okay.

Does anyone else notice that people we all knew on all the threads have been disappearing lately?  I noticed it on the Housewives.  Lots have gone, plus new ones are on.  Maybe the shows have had their day and are getting boring?  Or, maybe people are watching more Netflix, Hulu, and whatever.  Today, I was thrilled to find The “New York” Housewives, Seasons 1 thru 13 are on Hulu.  I watched all afternoon.  The episodes were so much better than now.

• Love 6
(edited)
20 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

I think she just has a lot on her plate and has let posting here slide a bit. I have her as a Facebook friend and see the occasional post, though we don't really converse much. She seems to be fine and in good spirits.

I am glad she seems to be ok. Tell her she is missed. 

Edited by crazycatlady58
  • Love 7
23 hours ago, fonfereksglen said:

After my dad died two years ago,  we hired a company that specializes in cleaning out the junk while assessing value of the good stuff with the goal of an estate auction.  And to help my other DNA provider transition into a wonderful senior living community.  This company also coordinated her move, and helped fix up her apartment.  Money well spent.

And then came the sale of the house.  😬😡😬😡😬😡😬😡.

Yeah, we hired a company to clean out Dad's home, sort, sell, and dispose of items, and ready it for sale. Money very very very well spent. Dad had been telling us for years that he wasn't going to deal with any of the crap and it was our problem. Jerk. My sainted husband spent days sorting papers in the office (we're talking cancelled checks from the 80s level of chaos) and determining what had to be shredded, what kept (he had physical stock certificates!), and what just trashed/recycled. Dad's delusions had led him to do things like hide items (he stashed cash in his car to keep it safe from his hallucinations). It was quite a job and we would still be neck deep in it if we hadn't hired help.

21 hours ago, Zella said:

Yeah it's usually an unnecessary apostrophe that I remove. Once to be a cynical, pretentious asshole I wrote a Noam Chomsky quote on my RA's whiteboard when I was in college. She was always writing really obnoxious peppy stuff on there, and so I scribbled some Chomksy on there for her. She got really angry and went around asking everyone who did that and she stopped writing on the whiteboard for awhile to "punish" us, though she'd encouraged us to write on the board. IT WAS ERASABLE, KATIE! YOU COULD HAVE JUST ERASED IT!

(I swear, you'll see the connection of this comment in a minute.) We came home from a trip a few years back to find that someone had anonymously sent my husband a cement-looking garden gnome statue. Huh, that's odd, we thought, but we put him outside our front door and named him Chomsky. He stood sentinel there for several years and then this year over the holidays he just went missing. Maybe he moved on to his next mysteriously chosen home?

1 hour ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Yes, as @crazycatlady58 said, please do tell her we miss her.

• Love 7

Our Sunday plans with my godmother are cancelled. She has to stay at Mayo Clinic for the entire week. Biopsy on her lesions on her liver, likely they will put in a port for IV chemo. And the jaundice is back. 

This just fucking sucks. Cancer sucks. This pandemic sucks. Not being able to see her or celebrate any of the holidays just sucks. I’m glad she and my Mom went to the lawyer together on Friday and had lunch. 

I’m sad. I miss Charlie & Mr. Norris. Blake cuddled with me a while and then ditched me to lay on the floor. 

2994C195-1129-4EE0-85D0-0154BA9CA452.jpeg

21 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Our Sunday plans with my godmother are cancelled. She has to stay at Mayo Clinic for the entire week. Biopsy on her lesions on her liver, likely they will put in a port for IV chemo. And the jaundice is back. 

This just fucking sucks. Cancer sucks. This pandemic sucks. Not being able to see her or celebrate any of the holidays just sucks. I’m glad she and my Mom went to the lawyer together on Friday and had lunch. 

I’m sad. I miss Charlie & Mr. Norris. Blake cuddled with me a while and then ditched me to lay on the floor. 

2994C195-1129-4EE0-85D0-0154BA9CA452.jpeg

I'm so sorry. 2020 is just too much by itself and all that pain on top of 2020? Sending virtual physically distanced hugs.

• Love 13
3 hours ago, Absolom said:

I go monthly for treatment for a chronic medical condition.  I have to have a patient ID card and have it out to even get in line to go in.  Then there is a temperature check and a list of questions.  I have to also have on a mask to get that far.  Then they give me a surgical mask of theirs that I have to wear.  Everyone who works there goes that procedure to go in.  Oh and you get a colored armband you have to wear to show you went through the process.  Once I get upstairs, we do the same thing again even though I have an armband.  No family is allowed to go in unless the patient is mentally incompetent or a minor.  Then it's only one family member allowed.   Every employee is wearing the face mask and has it on covering mouth and nose.  I was really nervous the first time I went, but it's gotten more comfortable since everyone complies.  I wouldn't go to a place where the medical employees weren't compliant.  In fact, I'd report them to the county health organization.

This sounds like the protocols we use at my workplace.  Any employee found not wearing a mask in a patient care area will be disciplined.  The secretaries often take their masks down to speak on the phone-they wear those headsets- but they immediately put them on if a patient approaches the desk.  We could never get away with pulling the mask down below our noses, we've got very specific instructions, complete with illustrations as to how to wear the mask-and how not to.

We are only allowed to not wear masks in our break room or in our offices, if we have them.  Even walking down the hall to get a drink of water or use the bathroom, we are expected to be wearing masks and also face shields if there are any patients in the office.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, jcbrown said:

(I swear, you'll see the connection of this comment in a minute.) We came home from a trip a few years back to find that someone had anonymously sent my husband a cement-looking garden gnome statue. Huh, that's odd, we thought, but we put him outside our front door and named him Chomsky. He stood sentinel there for several years and then this year over the holidays he just went missing. Maybe he moved on to his next mysteriously chosen home?

I love this!!!!!!! 

Though that is super weird he went missing like that. Maybe he's like the gnome version of Where's Waldo. 😄 

Edited by Zella
  • LOL 9
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, jcbrown said:

My sainted husband spent days sorting papers in the office (we're talking cancelled checks from the 80s level of chaos) and determining what had to be shredded, what kept (he had physical stock certificates!), and what just trashed/recycled. Dad's delusions had led him to do things like hide items (he stashed cash in his car to keep it safe from his hallucinations).

I have to add this story about my mom.  I knew she hid money around so the kids and I had to go through the house and RV ourselves and open every possible hiding spot and check down the sides of seats and such.  We found $2000 between a stack of frying pans and the best one was $4000 rolled up in a tampon box.  My mother had at least shredded everything up to about 2000 to 2005.  

• Love 4
14 hours ago, BetyBee said:

My mother cherishes the thought of me having to sort through decades of stuff when they die, and purposely fills their basement with thrift store buys for me to “discover”.  I hate to admit I don’t plan on doing that at all and will likely hire a service or leave it to another willing relative. 

on another note, where I work, in an outpatient healthcare setting, we have N95 masks w surgical mask on top, head coverings, neck to calf gown, gloves, and during procedures, face shield and goggles. Sanitize the entire room between each patient, no waiting room- we go out and get each patient from their cars. We’re not messing around!  So hot, time consuming, and uncomfortable, but necessary, and the patients really appreciate our precautions. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, Zella said:

I love this!!!!!!! 

Though that is super weird he went missing like that. Maybe he's like the gnome version of Where's Waldo. 😄 

We just figured he showed up out of nowhere so maybe he just left out of nowhere? I mean, who would steal a concrete-looking garden gnome? Maybe if they knew his name was Chomsky, sure, but otherwise? Weird. The whole thing was weird.

1 hour ago, galaxychaser said:

What if there was a fire? All the $ would have been lost. Wow 

@Absolom

In Dad's case, he hid Krugerrands (that he inherited from my crazy great uncle. Surely everyone has one of those.) so they would not have burned but your point stands. He also hid things like the calendar he got to send me for my office (he got me the same calendar every year from a local hardware store but stopped sending it because he was hiding it from his hallucinations because he got it to send to me. I'm not crying, you're crying.).

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Absolom said:

I have to add this story about my mom.  I knew she hid money around so the kids and I had to go through the house and RV ourselves and open every possible hiding spot and check down the sides of seats and such.  We found $2000 between a stack of frying pans and the best one was $4000 rolled up in a tampon box.  My mother had at least shredded everything up to about 2000 to 2005.  

My dad and his brother found money hidden in the walls of the parents' house when they were cleaning it out after moving their father into a nursing home. It was a surprise because their father had been so tightfisted with money all his life. Don't know if it was just how he was or because he grew up during the Depression. At least they found it instead of their sister who would have taken it all for herself. They put it towards the nursing home along with the sale of the house.

• Love 6

A popular orthodontist and his receptionist tested positive for Covid last Friday. The office was closed, but his patients weren't told until Tuesday. My boss went to the school board meeting Thursday and said he talked to 4 parents whose kids went to the orthodontist. They're livid that they weren't told right away so they could have their children quarantine earlier. The meeting was all about how safe they were being for in-person schooling, although parents have the option for online instead. There were 25 teachers there wearing red shirts as a protest to the schools opening for in-person classes. 

I've been to my primary care physician and the optometrist in the past 2 weeks and all the safety protocols were followed to the letter. Then I take my friend to the orthopedic clinic to remove her cast and there are no mask requirements, no social distancing in the waiting room, and only about half the medical staff were wearing masks. In the waiting room I counted 4 people wearing masks out of 37 (not counting me and my friend). All four were elderly.   This fall is not going to be fun.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Glad to hear she is ok. Please tell @Happyfatchick we miss her! 
ETA....I see @Crazycatlady beat me to it!

Edited by Love2dance
  • Love 5

Update: 

Yesterday my daughter texted me that she wanted to drop off my cooler and stuff I had used earlier in the week to drop off her care package. This was around 10:30 am. She stated that her next appointment was at 3. She wanted to know if she could pick up some to go for lunch for us and wait it out here. I said well, she could wait out in the yard (heat index is 100 or over), but I wasn’t entertaining her in the house because my grandson has Covid and I am high risk. She tried to “reason” with me that she didn’t have it and had tested negative. I said yes, but that was within days of the exposure and her test might not have reflected it yet. She remained polite about it, but the upshot is that she dropped the stuff off, we stayed 12’ apart and wore masks and then she left. Total amount of time together was 5 minutes. Would I have linked some one on one time with my child...of course. Was it worth risking my life...no. She seemed to be a good sport, but it broke my heart to turn her away. 

• Love 8
21 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

I fear that we might have that problem down the line. We have a lot of china and crystal which we got when we were stationed in Scotland back around 1989-1991. There was a special deal available at one point through the Submarine tender which let us buy Royal Doulton china and Edinburgh Crystal for something crazy like 10% over wholesale, and Mr Jyn, being who he is, had to get basically everything available in multiples of 12 for both the china and crystal set we picked. We have 12 of 11 different glasses, from liqueur to sherry to claret, to white wine, to whiskey, to water, with whatever else in between, plus every decanter they made to match. Luckily we have only lost about three or four pieces due to moves and mishaps, but he always insisted on getting replacements when we could. Those replacements are far from cheap - even a tiny liqueur glass will run some $40 since the company has since gone out of business, and this is really high end crystal. If we could sell them off individually as replacements they might be valuable, but, realistically, that would probably just be putting holes in a complete collection. Maybe our three kids might be interested in some of it after we downsize or pass away. Same with the china...but to be honest, I don't know how interested they really would be in most of it. We have gotten a good deal of use out of the china, really, since that's used for most holidays and birthdays, but I know that we've probably never used at least half the crystal since there are just some things which we have never run into the need for, or only use maybe two or three at a time. The vast majority of the time we use cheap glassware, and wine glasses that we got for free at tastings!

It all does look so pretty and sparkly in the dining room hutch, though, that I'd never be able to use that Marie Kondo mantra to get rid of it, because it undeniably sparks joy in my little magpie 

7 hours ago, Nysha said:

A popular orthodontist and his receptionist tested positive for Covid last Friday. The office was closed, but his patients weren't told until Tuesday. My boss went to the school board meeting Thursday and said he talked to 4 parents whose kids went to the orthodontist. They're livid that they weren't told right away so they could have their children quarantine earlier. The meeting was all about how safe they were being for in-person schooling, although parents have the option for online instead. There were 25 teachers there wearing red shirts as a protest to the schools opening for in-person classes. 

I've been to my primary care physician and the optometrist in the past 2 weeks and all the safety protocols were followed to the letter. Then I take my friend to the orthopedic clinic to remove her cast and there are no mask requirements, no social distancing in the waiting room, and only about half the medical staff were wearing masks. In the waiting room I counted 4 people wearing masks out of 37 (not counting me and my friend). All four were elderly.   This fall is not going to be fun.

Yikes. Did you and your friend stay in the waiting room? I'd follow the advice @Absolom gave another poster, turn the office into the Board of Health.

I don't know about you all, but many of my FB friends have been posting vacation pictures. Most are vacationing in their own areas including FL, TX and all of New England. The thing is, I know what they do for a living. The ones that scare me the most are the medical professionals because they often work with a vulnerable population and it makes me not trust anyone or any place I go. 

Please continue to stay safe out there!

• Love 3
13 hours ago, jcbrown said:

Yeah, we hired a company to clean out Dad's home, sort, sell, and dispose of items, and ready it for sale. Money very very very well spent. Dad had been telling us for years that he wasn't going to deal with any of the crap and it was our problem. Jerk. My sainted husband spent days sorting papers in the office (we're talking cancelled checks from the 80s level of chaos) and determining what had to be shredded, what kept (he had physical stock certificates!), and what just trashed/recycled. Dad's delusions had led him to do things like hide items (he stashed cash in his car to keep it safe from his hallucinations). It was quite a job and we would still be neck deep in it if we hadn't hired help.

Yes, as @crazycatlady58 said, please do tell her we miss her.

You are so right.  It took me weeks to sort through various things in my cousin's house when she became ill.  It was unreal how much it took to sort, organize, clean and trash items.  It was physically and mentally exhausting.  I have packed myself for years, but, if I had to do it again, I'd hire professionals for sure.  Both to pack and clean.  

So, I got up earlier this morning to grocery shop for my parents before the store got crowded.  My mom's favorite store doesn't have instacart or curbside:(     I normally limit myself to 10 minutes in any store.  So far, that has worked.  Today, her list was too long and even though the store was pretty empty,  it took me much longer.   So, I got everything on her list except for one item that they didn't have.  When I returned and started to bring in the groceries, I said, I'd have to pick it up later, they were out this morning, she said okay, but, seemed annoyed with me.  Then, my dad wanted the receipt and I said it was in one of the bags. (I don't touch receipts. Just tell cashier to put it in a bag.  I saw he did.)  Well, that didn't go over well.  Even though, I told them what the amount was they were very upset about it.  You know what they say?  No good deed goes unpunished.  (I won't mention the two half days of work I missed last week due to my dad's doctor appointments.  lol)  I guess that's how it goes sometimes........Oh, did I mention that I was planning on getting my own groceries too, but, couldn't because with her stuff, there was no room left in the cart. lol  So, I'll get mine later.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
9 hours ago, Nysha said:

"But kids aren't super spreaders! It's fine!"

Super spreaders =/= not able to catch and spread the disease. 

Again, getting really annoyed at the messaging I'm seeing around COVID. I've ranted too much how we missed the mark on using social distancing versus physical distancing. The whole "kids aren't super spreaders" sound bite is going to bite us in the ass come school time. Kids certainly do catch it, but it is generally mild or no symptoms. They can and do spread it to adults around them. I remember reading that you can tell when the schools shut down in each area by looking at the number of seasonal influenza cases. The number of cases plummeted.

I'm going to sit back and watch. The infectious diseases people I know have nubs for teeth left at this point. Watching other countries experience a resurgence is terrifying. The past few months have felt like years now. It's August and it feels like we can write off the rest of 2020 now. 

• Love 12
4 minutes ago, PikaScrewChu said:

"But kids aren't super spreaders! It's fine!"

Super spreaders =/= not able to catch and spread the disease. 

Again, getting really annoyed at the messaging I'm seeing around COVID. I've ranted too much how we missed the mark on using social distancing versus physical distancing. The whole "kids aren't super spreaders" sound bite is going to bite us in the ass come school time. Kids certainly do catch it, but it is generally mild or no symptoms. They can and do spread it to adults around them. I remember reading that you can tell when the schools shut down in each area by looking at the number of seasonal influenza cases. The number of cases plummeted.

I'm going to sit back and watch. The infectious diseases people I know have nubs for teeth left at this point. Watching other countries experience a resurgence is terrifying. The past few months have felt like years now. It's August and it feels like we can write off the rest of 2020 now. 

260 kids and teens infected with COVID-19 at a Georgia camp. Granted, it was an overnight camp, but still.

Edited by GeeGolly
8 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

You are so right.  It took me weeks to sort through various things in my cousin's house when she became ill.  It was unreal how much it took to sort, organize, clean and trash items.  It was physically and mentally exhausting.  I have packed myself for years, but, if I had to do it again, I'd hire professionals for sure.  Both to pack and clean.  

So, I got up earlier this morning to grocery shop for my parents before the store got crowded.  My mom's favorite store doesn't have instacart or curbside:(     I normally limit myself to 10 minutes in any store.  So far, that has worked.  Today, her list was too long and even though the store was pretty empty,  it took me much longer.   So, I got everything on her list except for one item that they didn't have.  When I returned and started to bring in the groceries, I said, I'd have to pick it up later, they were out this morning, she said okay, but, seemed annoyed with me.  Then, my dad wanted the receipt and I said it was in one of the bags. (I don't touch receipts. Just tell cashier to put it in a bag.  I saw he did.)  Well, that didn't go over well.  Even though, I told them what the amount was they were very upset about it.  You know what they say?  No good deed goes unpunished.  (I won't mention the two half days of work I missed last week due to my dad's doctor appointments.  lol)  I guess that's how it goes sometimes........Oh, did I mention that I was planning on getting my own groceries too, but, couldn't because with her stuff, there was no room left in the cart. lol  So, I'll get mine later.  

In my mother's last few years of life, I would go in the grocery store for her. I would bring her the receipt and the change. Then I would watch as she counted out the change( down to the penny) looking back and forth at it and the receipt as if I might have tried to pull a fast one on her and take a few pennies. It was super insulting, Sometimes as people age , they just don't realize how difficult they are being to people who are trying to help them. My father-in-law was the exact opposite.  One of his last comments before he died was that he was sorry he had forgotten to thank the CNA who had helped him with his bath that evening. Then he went to sleep and died peacefully.  He was so much easier to take care of than my mother. Interestingly enough they started under hospice care 6 weeks to the day apart and died 6 weeks to the day apart, each living only 4 days after beginning hospice. And both were initially expected to live much longer. My husband was the trustee for his dad's estate and I am a co-executor for my mom's estate, so it has been a challenge the past year and a half to get houses, belongings, accounts, etc. settled. Both are almost done but there are still a few details.  Word of caution,  do not name co-executors, it makes things difficult when both people HAVE to by law sign every document, check, etc. If you can make it an either/or situation, that is fine. My mother's will had " and" so our county's probate judge was very strict about that. There was only one bank in town (small town) that would open an estate account with co-executors. Sorry, more details than you probably wanted to read! 

• Useful 2
  • Love 16

I agree Liddy about co-executors.  I tell people, but, sometimes, they don't listen.  

I'm sorry about your loss.  I hesitate to say much about my parents with my friends due to the fact that some of them have ill parents with serious issues, like cancer.  They could pass away anytime, so, I don't like to whine, when my parents do annoying things. Right now, they have some issues, but, nothing too serious, that we are aware of.   Still, it can be bothersome.  What I find even worse is that they are both VERY kind, cordial and agreeable with everyone else.  lol  I do all the work and all I get is disagreements and resistance. Other family members do nothing for them, but, they are worshiped.  It's rather common. I read about this happening with seniors a lot on caregiver message boards.  My mom has pretty much always been this way, so, I don't think she will change. 

• Love 12
20 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

260 kids and teens infected with COVID-19 at a Georgia camp. Granted, it was an overnight camp, but still.

Sleep away camp is a breeding ground for germs under the best circumstances. I know some young people headed back to the dorms- by golly. 

• Love 2
33 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

The new school district my high school freshman will be attending announced their plans/details on Jul 30. There is a choice of in person and virtual. In person students will be spend the first week as virtual and can take virtual if they need to stay home. Virtual students are allowed to join extra and co curriculars. The reason in person students will do virtual is because they need everyone set up if/when they need to close down.

Personally, it's a difficult choice. We are here in a hot spot. We are torn because it's hard moving to a new place, hoping to make friends in theater and choir but knowing that there is a pandemic and it might be better to do it virtually. She struggled learning online. There are plans for Fridays to be small meeting/meeting in person with virtual students who need help, so that's a good thing. I have to make an appointment to finalize the enrollment and registration since we are new to the district and A-girl will join me because she has some questions. 

It's sent her anxiety through the roof. We had a virtual doctors appointment before we left and the doc recommended her seeing a psychiatrist so she could get some relief with medication. It's just...how does one do that in a new state in the middle of a pandemic? Which is what is causing the anxiety to skyrocket as it is? First day of school as a freshman in a new school is so hard anyway and it's the one thing I wish I could fix and help and I just can't.

Sorry, sort of just unloaded there but yeah. Thankfully, that's been the only real difficulty with the move. And we will figure it out eventually.

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, frenchtoast said:

The new school district my high school freshman will be attending announced their plans/details on Jul 30. There is a choice of in person and virtual. In person students will be spend the first week as virtual and can take virtual if they need to stay home. Virtual students are allowed to join extra and co curriculars. The reason in person students will do virtual is because they need everyone set up if/when they need to close down.

Personally, it's a difficult choice. We are here in a hot spot. We are torn because it's hard moving to a new place, hoping to make friends in theater and choir but knowing that there is a pandemic and it might be better to do it virtually. She struggled learning online. There are plans for Fridays to be small meeting/meeting in person with virtual students who need help, so that's a good thing. I have to make an appointment to finalize the enrollment and registration since we are new to the district and A-girl will join me because she has some questions. 

It's sent her anxiety through the roof. We had a virtual doctors appointment before we left and the doc recommended her seeing a psychiatrist so she could get some relief with medication. It's just...how does one do that in a new state in the middle of a pandemic? Which is what is causing the anxiety to skyrocket as it is? First day of school as a freshman in a new school is so hard anyway and it's the one thing I wish I could fix and help and I just can't.

Sorry, sort of just unloaded there but yeah. Thankfully, that's been the only real difficulty with the move. And we will figure it out eventually.

My heart breaks for parents, kids and teachers. Being a new student (and new to the area parent) makes it that much harder.

If A-girl's anxiety is debilitating, I would Google child psychiatry in your area. Every state is doing virtual visits and many folks have new or exacerbated anxiety. I would think/hope they'd see her right away.

• Love 7