Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

21 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

Merry Christmas!!! Spent most of the morning trying to figure out my new instant pot.  Easy recipes always welcome!

I love my instant pot. One of my favorite recipes is the one for steel cut oats.  I also make homemade extracts--vanilla, lemon, orange and cinnamon were some I made this year.  There are a ton of recipes on the internet.  Just google instant pot recipes and enjoy!

• Love 3
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Yeah, I don't really know what it tastes like.  I tried some that a friend made many years ago, but, it had so much alcohol in it, that I just couldn't drink it.  I think this might be different, with just the right amount in it. 

I LOVE eggnog, but I don’t drink alcohol.  It wasn’t until I was an adult that I learned people bought it WITH alcohol in it. In my family you just bought (or made) eggnog from the store and adults who wanted to added their brandy/rum. 

35 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

I know it’s lame to wish your self a happy birthday. But oh well. I lived another long, hard year. 

Happy birthday to me!

Happy Birthday!happy birthday beard GIF

• Love 4

🎄Merry Christmas 🎄to all who read and post here. It’s one of my favorite threads. People care and are kind. I wish everyone a happy holiday filled with their favorite foods and faces. I pray everyone will have good health or at the minimum better health. I am rich with the things that matter most. My small family is well and the support here makes me feel as though I have a large extended family. You are all dear to me. Happy holidays and joy to all. 🎄

Purrs from the Mindthinkr kitties 🐾🐾

Happy Birthday 🎉 @galaxychaser

• Love 15
15 hours ago, doodlebug said:

If it has been more than 5 years since your last tetanus shot, you need a booster.  Your primary care doc should be able to do that.  I hope that you washed the cut out with lots of water, flushing out the wound to decrease the bacterial count makes a big difference when it comes to infection.  I would also probably put a little Neosporin or something similar on it and keep it covered with a bandage until you can be seen.

No way to know for sure if you hit the bone, however, the covering of the bone, the periosteum, has a lot of nerve endings, and, if the knife hit it, it should've been very painful.  The fact that you aren't having much pain makes it more likely that it didn't reach the bone.

Can't get rid of quote box.

• Love 1

I called my Dr.'s office this morning and talked with the nurse about what happened. She said to watch the cut for signs of infection and she would leave a note on the Dr.'s desk. She said he may write a perception for a tetanus shot I could come and pick it up and go get the shot. Tnevto not have that in the office I would get the shot at Walgreens or CVS. Thanks again everyone especially Doodlebug your information was very helpful.

1 hour ago, galaxychaser said:

I know it’s lame to wish your self a happy birthday. But oh well. I lived another long, hard year. 

Happy birthday to me!

I hope you are able to enjoy your day. Happy Birthday.

• Love 12
6 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

We had a hectic, but very good holiday. Had a family get-together for some of Mr. Jyn's relatives from New Jersey (his sister usually hosts it, but there was a big drama last year which left her daughter estranged - by choice, It was not pretty), so we decided to host it this year. Sixteen adults and three toddlers. It was nice for my granddaughter to meet her cousins. I had originally planned to make duck, so we ordered four of them, but the menu sort of grew to also feature shrimp. salmon, and steak - a couple of pounds of each. Luckily everyone was more than happy to take home doggy bags! LOL There were also side dishes and lots of dessert - a couple of cheesecakes, tiramisu, an apple crumble, and the traditional date-nut bread.

Our two sons are also here for the holidays, so two days later we did the traditional, multi-course Polish Christmas Eve dinner with my side of the family.

And yesterday, a standing rib-roast, also with all three kids, son-in-law, granddaughter, and my mom.

I'm about cooked out!! LOL But everything came out really good, and we finally got through most of the leftover desserts, and also the traditional Polish Kutia - a meusli-like concoction of cooked wheat-berries, poppyseeds, almonds, raisins, cream and honey. Yum!

The only major gripe I had was that I had to also do all the Christmas shopping as well, as we are all pretty much at the point where there's nothing we specifically need, so no-one ever can come up with a good Christmas list. I'd be happy to do away with all the gift-giving and just do stockings or even donations, but Mr Jyn doesn't think it's Christmas without a good gift exchange. Of course, he is the hardest person ever to shop for, and he refuses to shop for anyone else without specifics on what they would like. He even got snippy with me because I had not bought my own stocking stuffers (the kids, and my daughter in particular, love the stockings most of all, because those are always the little, unexpected bits and pieces. So while everyone else had full stockings, mine was empty but for a couple of lottery tickets (which we always put in everyone's), and a small gift from my daughter. But, of course, that was my fault in his view, because I hadn't given him a list. I would think that after 35 years he might know me well enough to look around and grab a few bits and pieces which might bring a smile to my face... Grrr. Ah, well. Sorry for the vent! Overall, it was really a great few days, though!

Jynnan Tonnix, your food sounds absolutely delicious and it really sounds like you knocked Christmas out of the park! I'm sorry about the stocking snafu.

Happy Birthday, GalaxyChaser!  

Edited by BetyBee
  • Love 5

I FINALLY found it!  Just a little late.  lol   I've been looking for this video all season!  I saw this high school competition a couple of years ago and loved this version.  It pretty much says it all for me.  

• Love 2

Just had to share this. I'm sure everyone has a gazillion toddler moments, but I had never come across this one before...My granddaughter is sort of on her way toward potty-training (at just shy of 22 months, she's not quite learning in earnest, but close). In any event, she's getting to that stage where she's interested in the proceedings. Her latest antic seems to be to grab the back of someone's pants - when they are of an elastic type waist - make in inspection, and announce " no poo"! She did this to both my sons the other day.  We just keep giggling when we think of it.

And a final (well, hopefully so) snafu from last night...as my daughter & family were leaving, my son got to finally hold my granddaughter. She's a bit reticent with strangers, and while she knows him from pictures, he rarely has the chance to come home. And he has not had much in the way of dealing with babies and toddlers either - she was the first baby he had ever held in his 28 years before she was born...Anyway, she had finally warmed up to him enough that she agreed to go to him to say goodbye, but, after a second, thought twice about it an performed a mad wiggle to get free...in the process, kicking him, well, not somewhere she should have. He may never agree to hold another baby again!

• LOL 16
5 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Just had to share this. I'm sure everyone has a gazillion toddler moments, but I had never come across this one before...My granddaughter is sort of on her way toward potty-training (at just shy of 22 months, she's not quite learning in earnest, but close). In any event, she's getting to that stage where she's interested in the proceedings. Her latest antic seems to be to grab the back of someone's pants - when they are of an elastic type waist - make in inspection, and announce " no poo"! She did this to both my sons the other day.  We just keep giggling when we think of it.

And a final (well, hopefully so) snafu from last night...as my daughter & family were leaving, my son got to finally hold my granddaughter. She's a bit reticent with strangers, and while she knows him from pictures, he rarely has the chance to come home. And he has not had much in the way of dealing with babies and toddlers either - she was the first baby he had ever held in his 28 years before she was born...Anyway, she had finally warmed up to him enough that she agreed to go to him to say goodbye, but, after a second, thought twice about it an performed a mad wiggle to get free...in the process, kicking him, well, not somewhere she should have. He may never agree to hold another baby again!

Ouch! I’m sorry your son was injured. Many a baby has kicked gentalia or ripped out earrings on accident. 

• Love 5

hi everyone! GalaxyChaser - here's wishing you a wonderful birthday.

christmas was on the eve for us  again this year. it was so much work although i did not do much cooking. honey baked ham and turkey saved the evening for us. yummy stuff.  we had adopted a young family who moved here from the other side of the country and so they joined my kids and grands for dinner and gifts. it was wonderful! everyone got along (my one son was sick and didn't show up). my kids were welcoming to the new family. all was great. i got a few cool things that were not the ordinary gift --  a blanket with all my kids and grandkids names on it -- even my dog! also, a friend knew with my breathing issues i can not have strong scents. she got a me a perfect scentsy warmer (i guess) with peppermint wax. i love peppermint. so it was a really good evening with all of them. i was in bed sleeping at 9pm!!!

christmas day we had breakfast for hubby, roommate and hubby's younger daughter and myself.  gave hubby his gifts from me beyond what he opened the night before and his response was 'aww they didnt have to do that'. i said to him 'THEY didnt -- i did'. he seemed confused and quietly happy about it. then everyone left to go do their own things (house sit and celebrate christmas with the other daughter of hubby). i spent the day alone, literally learning my new laptop and watching hallmark movies.  had a single dinner of leftovers (he ate out with his girls) and after a bit of tv, a very little bit, i went to bed. exhausted after the prep for the whole holiday.

was it jynnantonnix that said something about doing all the gift shopping earlier? at our house, its all on me to do it for 6 kids, 10 grands as well as all the others.  i took a stand this time and told him that HE needed to get for his kids and grandkid as i am not acknowledged so i am no longer doing their shopping. he is a gift-certificate kinda guy so he was done in minutes. he returned home from hanging out with them yesterday with the usual gifts from them FOR him. yep, i just dont exist i guess.

so yeah, that was my cali holiday.  oh and btw, i have purposed to use the word 'hubby' for your enjoyment.

• Love 13

This was our first Christmas without my dad.  We always celebrated Christmas Eve at my parent's house with a nice dinner and presents.  Then Santa would come Christmas morning.  We would go to church late Christmas Eve, unless my dad and I were in the choir.  Then he and I would go twice on Christmas Eve and Christmas morning. The last few years we have had "Christmas Eve" at my parent's on the 23rd so my niece and nephew could go to their in-law's houses on Christmas Eve, and then they would to to my brother's on Christmas day.  This year, my brother had everyone over on Christmas Day for a nice dinner, presents for the grandkids/great-grandkids, and then we played "Christmas Bingo" as a family.  It was very nice, just different for me.  My mom had a good time, but I doubt she remembers anything about it today.

I went to Urgent Care this morning and came home with antibiotics---I have Strep!

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, CalicoKitty said:

This was our first Christmas without my dad.  We always celebrated Christmas Eve at my parent's house with a nice dinner and presents.  Then Santa would come Christmas morning.  We would go to church late Christmas Eve, unless my dad and I were in the choir.  Then he and I would go twice on Christmas Eve and Christmas morning. The last few years we have had "Christmas Eve" at my parent's on the 23rd so my niece and nephew could go to their in-law's houses on Christmas Eve, and then they would to to my brother's on Christmas day.  This year, my brother had everyone over on Christmas Day for a nice dinner, presents for the grandkids/great-grandkids, and then we played "Christmas Bingo" as a family.  It was very nice, just different for me.  My mom had a good time, but I doubt she remembers anything about it today.

I went to Urgent Care this morning and came home with antibiotics---I have Strep!

I'm glad you had a good time--the first holiday after a death is always so hard. I hope you get better soon! 

Also, happy birthday @galaxychaser

• Love 8

My brother just called to check on me.  He went to see our mother this afternoon, and she has no recollection of being at the Christmas festivities.  None.  I picked her up yesterday and took her back to her assisted living when we were done, and she says she hasn't seen me for so long.  I guess we are starting another Great Adventure.  At least, so far, I don't have to feed her like I did my dad.  Fun times!

9 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:

My brother just called to check on me.  He went to see our mother this afternoon, and she has no recollection of being at the Christmas festivities.  None.  I picked her up yesterday and took her back to her assisted living when we were done, and she says she hasn't seen me for so long.  I guess we are starting another Great Adventure.  At least, so far, I don't have to feed her like I did my dad.  Fun times!

It’s hard. I’ve been through this caring for my grandfather and my last great aunt who’s 85 is also that this point with the dementia. Her personality hasn’t changed, she’s always cheerful and happy to see me but she knows she cannot remember yesterday. She has no short term memory any more(none) and she cannot process as quickly “please slow down, I cannot understand you’re speaking too fast, angel.”

Its hard. Much love to you. 

• Love 9
12 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:

I’m sorry.

• Love 4

image.thumb.png.2c706208a1f15ef3664192b77f4ab7ea.png

I'm not sure about "Don't gossip."  I'm not ready to give up talking about the Duggars and other reality show people or some of the other fundies.  Outside that it's worthwhile for me.  Happy New Year to all here.  May it bring more joy than 2019.

• Love 18
24 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

I am sending good vibes to all who need them.  Happy Birthday to @galaxychaser.

My son is still very sick.  I am so worried about him.  We still have an uncertain future.  I spend a lot of time with him not crying and then the rest of the time crying.  

Is this the son with cancer? 

I'm so sorry. Praying things will improve and your son will have healing. 

• Love 7

@lookeyloo  Prayers here too.  When I see your name anywhere I say a little prayer for your son and all who love him.   I can't imagine how hard this is for you and your family.  Watching a loved one go through a serious illness is incredibly difficult.  When it's your child, of any age, that is going through this must get to your being.   I hope his doctors can find something that will be a breakthrough and help with his healing.  I hope you all find some peace wherever it might be.

Edited by wilsie
  • Love 12
2 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

https://people.com/crime/susan-smith-cries-for-her-children-every-christmas-since-murdering-them/

This demon cries because she got caught. I still remember this event. Her sons would be close to my age if she let them live. Why not give up the custody to anyone.

I remember this. Blamed her children’s disappearance on a black man who car jacked her and kidnapped them- really now?? 

Those poor poor babies. May they Rest In Peace. In addition to being evil she’s not right in the head, there are much easier and cleaner ways to get out of raising children you don’t want without murdering them and going to prison.

As evil as she is, why is she being reprimanded for sex with a prison guard which is always RAPE. Prisoners cannot consent to sex with guards under any circumstances, and I’m sure plenty of guards prey on prisoners for the thrill and easy sex and then “reward them” with things like socks and junk food. Disgusting. 

• Love 12
On 12/18/2019 at 8:59 PM, galaxychaser said:

I just saw Top gun for the first time. 

Ummm I found it hilarious and not good. I laughed through most of it. 

Charlie is gorgeous! How they managed to make Tiny Tom look good next to her 5’10 is a mystery.

I've heard there is a sequel in the works. 

• Love 2
17 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

I am sending good vibes to all who need them.  Happy Birthday to @galaxychaser.

My son is still very sick.  I am so worried about him.  We still have an uncertain future.  I spend a lot of time with him not crying and then the rest of the time crying.  

Words seem inadequate.  I can't imagine your pain.  I'm sending positive thoughts and well wishes your way, though.  I hope the medical professionals can offer some sort of guidance. 

• Love 7

I am so tired today! I have to watch my sister and was going to take her out to see more Christmas lights tonight but maybe not (she’s still sleeping). I’m having coffee. 

Last night I went with a friend to the new Starbucks Reserve Roastery (the largest starbucks in the world), and although we had fun a down side of so much coffee at 8pm is having to go pee 500 million times in the night. 🤪

• LOL 6
  • Love 8

I'm having a bad pain day today. I guess the holidays are catching up with me along with some other health issues.  I haven't slept well for a couple of nights & feel bad I had to cancel a small family lunch get together at my house today.   It was  just my brother,  sister & mother and they really understand. I'll miss the carryout lunch we planned on but we'll reschedule for another time.  I had to smile through a lot of pain on Christmas day that no one knew about (except my son) & didn't think I could do that again today.  I have a doctor's appointment next week so hopefully he has some new new tricks up his sleeve to help me with the pain. 

Think I'll have a ham sandwich for lunch, watch a movie & take a snooze.  (I'm trying not to think of Jill Rod's glazed mess of a burnt ham.)  I also have a bag of Lindor chocolate truffles to enjoy.

Have a restful day everyone.  

• Love 1