Type keyword(s) to search

S45.E03: No Man Left Behind

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

Tribes must hook a win in the reward challenge to earn a large fruit platter and the chance to raid the camp of one of the losing tribes. Then, tribes roll their way to a win to earn safety for one more night.

Original airdate 10/11/23

I liked Sabiyah, but dang, she read that whole thing wrong.  Why she thought it was smart to target Kaleb so soon I can't figure out.  They aren't anywhere close to the end, and Lulu didn't exactly have a strong winning streak going.  I don't blame Emily for trusting Kaleb more and letting him in on what Sabiyah was going to do.  She made the same mistakes Emily did of playing too many steps ahead, and alienating people she didn't need to.  

Drew can't get voted off fast enough for me.  I can't stand him or his bromance with Austin.  I love Dee and am glad she was able to see right through their act.  Those two were not as crafty as they thought, and I'm glad that Drew got exposed as not being as good as he thinks he is (even if he still believes that).  I'm so annoyed that he got that advantage from Kaleb, but since I like Kaleb I hope it somehow helps him down the road.  Or Drew gets screwed over by Austin somehow.

I felt like Jake almost pulling a Skupin ended up being such a non-issue.  I hope that Kellie-in-the-middle also gets taken down a few notches.  I like the Belo girls but my guess is she's going to side with the guys if she has to pick a side (somehow I don't think Brando is as in the middle as she thinks he is).  I did like how they mocked Jake for being a lawyer but not being a very big threat, since he seems to think he is.

Overall, pretty solid episode.  Loved having two challenges and that Lulu got one win.  The IC was a mess though.  

• Like 19

Oof Sabiyah. I admire her ballsiness in just putting that thing in the fire, but she got overconfident there. 

Why did production not give a lick of airtime to Sean during tribal council, on a tribe of 4?

And why does the majority alliance on Reba not like J. Maya??

Finally, some Survivor players aren’t threatened by there being a lawyer on the cast. These days, I think of that profession as being oversaturated more than a threat in a game!

Edited by jsm1125
  • Like 13
  • Applause 1

For those in the last episode saying Survivor has gotten harder over the years, did you notice all the wardrobe changing this episode? Rewatch and notice Kaleb’s many clothing changes over what is edited to look like pretty contemporaneous scenes. 

• Like 4
  • Useful 5

I skipped right thru the immunity challenge to the end. It looked like Lulu just plain gave up and stopped trying. 

I said this in the live thread but it's become a problem that everyone expects a tribal switch-up because they're thinking too far ahead. They need to stop doing that if only for one season and let one of the tribes just get Pagonged to shake up future seasons.

RE: the Reward Challenge - what was the point of having the tribes start on platforms just offshore, jump off into the water and wade to the shore? It's not like it was going to put anyone that far behind or tire them out. Pointless waste of time, they could have just started with the ball tossing and rolling. They're not even trying with these dumb challenges anymore, I'm so tired of them.

• Like 6
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1

RE Jake’s almost-accident - no major mystery there.  Jake overdid it blowing on the fire, blew off all his carbon dioxide - in effect hyperventilating himself - and then stood up too rapidly, causing a rapid drop in blood pressure; basically, Jake vagaled the shit outta himself.

• Like 17
  • Useful 6

Safety good for one tribal right in your hand and you don't use it. That was delicious!

Can't believe how I've done a 180 on Emily from the first episode. Now I am actively rooting for her. What told me she was likely safe is that it's clear now the producers/editors are building an arc for her and they wouldn't go through that much trouble if she only made it 3 episodes.

During the tribal raid, I thought Kaleb was building a target on his back for the future but never dreamed his own team would be plotting against him as well. How is Sean possibly going to explain himself to Kaleb now?

As for the raid...as hard as it is to believe it's still a reminder of the producer's Rupert fetish since they were so enamored when he became a pirate that they had to incorporate it into future shows even to this day.

I do not like that it's an entire tribe against Jay. I don't like when someone is being isolated for no reason.

Way too much Drew....way too much.

Finally, jeers to last week's previews that made it look like the Boston lawyer pulled a Scupin and fell into the fire when that was not the case.

Edited by North of Eden
  • Like 16
  • Applause 1

Sorry to see Sabiyah go, although she clearly just outplayed herself. I don’t know what’s happening with the hapless Lulu Lemon tribe, but I see a Stefanie/ Bobby Jon outcome in the works. Will Emily be the ultimate Stefanie 2.0? And will she then break our hearts by becoming the opposite of what we wanted? Only time will tell.

• Like 6
  • LOL 3

I'm all for the Lulu tribe to become decemated. That's the way they're going if they keep losing. Reba needs to lose one to get rid of Drew, though. Still can't stand him or Austin for that matter. The Reba tribe seems way too cocky for my liking.

Sorry to see Sabiyah go. Thinking too far ahead. Guess she thought she was safe not playing her idol.

• Like 5
2 hours ago, Tango64 said:

For those in the last episode saying Survivor has gotten harder over the years, did you notice all the wardrobe changing this episode? Rewatch and notice Kaleb’s many clothing changes over what is edited to look like pretty contemporaneous scenes. 

I hadn't noticed that.  I am just so happy they don't force the women to go around half naked in bikinis all the time now.  That's a major improvement.  I haven't actively compared, but I had the vague impression the game had gotten easier over the years.  More food and food rewards, (almost) automatic flint, things like that.

• Like 14
  • Applause 1

Big Question: where does Sabiyah's decision rank among the worst in the show's history? I was thinking -- rooting for, even -- the wax to burn and give way to another clue, like with that other tribe. Nope . . . she got an idol, and it had more power the further she held it. She chose long game . . . and she was voted out. Unreal.

And I was liking it. I don't hate Sabiyah. It's a mix of Probst's fuckery and the Lulu tribe being hapless in general that make things entertaining. If they had won immunity, Sabiyah would've gotten the flint, melted the wax, and she could have made a rational decision. Instead, they lost, she burned the wax at Tribal Council (brilliant move), and she wound up on the spot. I think the worst part was that Brandon wasn't there because he would have loved to see that play out. Hell, he probably would not have minded going out in that fashion, as opposed to a mercy vote.

Great, I've forgotten most of the episode thanks to the post-challenge segments. It's easy to forgot that Lawyer Boston Rob almost Skupined into the fire and Austin got his immunity idol after taking more steps than "melt this wax."

It's hard to pick favorites out of the fifteen remaining players. I think I like Kaleb because he referred to the host as "Probst." Also, the editing had me believing he was going out, and I think that would have sucked. Not that Sabiyah's ouster doesn't leave a hole . . . I just figured Kaleb didn't deserve to go. I figured it'd be Emily. Instead, she's probably going to be the Carolyn of S45, because we couldn't stand her in the beginning, and we'll end up appreciating her at the end of the game.

ETA: I also forgot about Drew getting the Disadvantage Nullifier Advantage. I like to think Kaleb looked at Drew and saw him as that tribe's Brandon. Basically, give the dorkiest guy the weapon he would need to survive.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Like 10
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

RE: the Reward Challenge - what was the point of having the tribes start on platforms just offshore, jump off into the water and wade to the shore? It's not like it was going to put anyone that far behind or tire them out. Pointless waste of time, they could have just started with the ball tossing and rolling. They're not even trying with these dumb challenges anymore, I'm so tired of them.

I am barely watching this but people seemed really low energy and barely exerting themselves during that challenge.  Are they really so exhausted and starving already?  And if they are, apart from the bananas, a big platter of fruit isn't going to do much for them apart from give them the runs.

How do you regular watchers keep up with all the twists and turns?  What was all that with the idol melting in the fire?  (Don't answer, I really don't care enough for anyone to try to explain!)

• LOL 3
3 hours ago, Tango64 said:

I've noticed this in the last several seasons, where they are wearing more or different clothes than they were dumped on the beach with.  It bugs the hell out of me.  Jeff makes a big deal that they all get abandoned with what they have with them, yet that patently isn't true. 

In earlier seasons, their swimsuits were issued to them mid-season, or their tennis shoes etc. because enough fuss was made of the inequities at critical challenges if people were forced to compete in the clothing production mandated for them at dropoff.  You can't run through sand in dress loafers like production selected for them for the character plot. 

I also understand the lack of ability to change into dry clothes was contributing to crotch rot type infections, so production had to relent and allow additional clothing.  That used to be just a swimsuit, so you had that for the comps when necessary, but you could also wear that while your other clothes dried.  

Nowadays there is apparently a whole Survivor closet out in the jungle somewhere.

Maybe naked Richard Hatch had a deeper strategery than originally thought.  Not only was his goal to keep people uncomfortable (too uncomfortable dude, when he nakedly rubbed on Sue in the first All-Stars), but by not wearing his clothes, they were always dry when he put them on his body, no risk of infection.  Risk of sunburn, maybe.....

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 3
  • LOL 3

I almost FF'd to the end but thank heavens I didn't.  I'd love to see Kaleb and Emily at the end.  They are both interesting personalities.  Surprised Emily screwed up with puzzle instructions; I thought she'd be good at that.  But then I t hought about myself.  I would be good at puzzles if I had time to think them out; under pressure I don't think so.    

Sabiyah got ahead of herself in trying to get out Kaleb.   He would have been a good ally for her for the next few weeks.   It's too early to get someone like him out.  I won't miss her as much as I would have missed Kaleb.  

I felt bad for Lulu cuz they got saddled with Brandon in the first two challenges and no way they'd win anything with him around.  

• Like 14

Whew.  I'm so glad Kaleb trusted Emily.  I like Sabiyah but like everyone is saying, she got way ahead of her skis.  It would have been interesting to see how Kaleb would have voted if Sabiyah really had wanted to vote for Emily.  Which woman would he have sided with?  Sabiyah might have been gone regardless, if Kaleb felt he could rely on grateful new ally Emily more than old ally Sabiyah.

6 hours ago, Ancaster said:

How do you regular watchers keep up with all the twists and turns?  What was all that with the idol melting in the fire?  (Don't answer, I really don't care enough for anyone to try to explain!)

Yeah, I handwave all the twists and turns and just let them play out.  Too much thinking.

• Like 9
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 4

I liked Sabiyah a lot.  I liked listening to her talk and I don't like listening to Emily because she talks  faster than anyone I've ever heard.  She could get a job listing the possible side effects on the drug commercials.

Still I'm happy she saved Kaleb.

Drew was hilarious talking about his chance to use his acting skills and his great entrepreneurship (?) making up a story to tell the women, then they catch him and he just looks at them and runs off.

I'm looking forward to a wonderful blindside with Drew and Austin. 

• Like 7
  • LOL 10

Sabiyah took it like a champ. I will miss her. I was so hoping (Who?) Lulu! would win that damn challenge. Dumb to target Kaleb this early, but I'm so glad Kaleb listened to Emily and read the tribal right.

I cannot believe what a turncoat I am over Emily! She's now my favorite player. I guess I was sucked in by the editing episode one, or she was just having a really rough first few days...

This cast looked dull to me pre-season, but I am really enjoying the show and the longer episodes.

• Like 19
  • Love 1

What a beauty of an episode.  I think Emily really evaluated the tribal dynamics starting with her wondering why Jeff eliminated Brandon after only reading two votes.  Also, the fact that Sabiyah was targeting Kaleb so early (making the same mistake that Emily admitted she made which was playing too far ahead), as well as being willing to turn on him after allying with him sent warning signals to Emily.  Sabiyah was waaaaay too confident about her position in the game, but I think her biggest mistake was buring the idol during tribal council.  I was surprised that Jeff let her do that, but I think that act sealed it for Kaleb that Emily was telling him the truth.  We often see participants trying to play the end game when they aren't even at the merge and that is what did Sabiyah in.

Drew is not the "entreprenuer" or "actor" that he thinks he is.  I don't even know why he tried to relate his lying to entreprenuership.  I see him overplaying just like Sabiyah did and, hopefully, his end will be the same. 

I am so happy with the 90 minute episodes-I would like them every season.

• Like 23
  • Love 1

That was a fun episode, for the most part. I like Sabiyah a lot but she absolutely did that to herself. If she hadn't insisted on getting her vote back for that specific tribal by burning the wax right then and there, Kaleb might not have had his guard up and he might have voted Emily.

Then, it would have been a 1-1-1 tie and Sean would have likely gotten rid of Kaleb so it worked out for Kaleb, I guess. It's a shame it worked out that way, as I liked Sabiyah but I also like Kaleb and Emily's growing on me too. 

I am going to point out that the women this season are SO much better than the women last season (sans Carolyn). They're all unique and interesting and bring a lot more to the table than some of the men. All the women seem to be very smart and intuitive, which is fantastic and refreshing to see.

I get Katurah still has a potential irrational hatred for Bruce but as someone who thinks Bruce might be pushing too hard on the Cool Uncle angle, I can see how it would annoy Katurah to see this and others being enarmored with him. Though, now that the women have voiced wanting to keep Jake over Bruce (I guess Jake's not as good as he appears?), Katurah needs to cool it on the anti-Bruce stuff. People also don't want him around long-term, so she doesn't need to push so hard. Kellie/Brando could be a fun pair if they don't get caught playing the middle. Kendra's growing on me as well.

I absolutely adore Dee and Julie. They are smarter than the men they're working with. Drew may be my Punching Bag this season, where I probably will critique everything he does. He annoys the shit out of me, with his condescending attitude and how smart he thinks he is. I can't wait for his inevitable demise. Austin may not be playing super well, but he seems a lot better than Drew, which I hope means Drew is the first to go in that tribe. 

I will say, I had reservations with 90 minute episodes but the editing is MUCH better than I expected it to be. The advantages still suck but we're seeing the tribes more fleshed out (except J Maya and Sifu on Reba are invisible).

• Like 8
12 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

I liked Sabiyah, but dang, she read that whole thing wrong.  Why she thought it was smart to target Kaleb so soon I can't figure out.  They aren't anywhere close to the end, and Lulu didn't exactly have a strong winning streak going. 

Especially since Kaleb almost single-handedly won the reward challenge for them.

3 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

Drew was hilarious talking about his chance to use his acting skills and his great entrepreneurship (?) making up a story to tell the women, then they catch him and he just looks at them and runs off.

I was waiting for him to suddenly start yelling, 'I love tacos!'

• LOL 10
13 hours ago, North of Eden said:

Safety good for one tribal right in your hand and you don't use it. That was delicious!

In the voting booth, no less. 

4 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

Drew when he’s caught digging for an idol:

napoleon-dynamite.gif

• Like 4
  • LOL 12
13 hours ago, choclatechip45 said:

I'm now curious about Emily's arc. 

Same; I don’t necessarily think Emily’s a bad person, but:

1. Emily did come out of the gate in Ep1 going 110mph and playing WAY too hard; her game paranoia was off the charts.
  2. In terms of Emily recognizing the significance of the vote tally at Brandon’s elimination: good on you, girl, but you need to learn how to keep every thought which comes to mind from immediately falling out of your mouth.
  3. Emily appears to be a capable analytical thinker, but not necessarily a quick thinker.  One can’t pull a paycheck crunching numbers all day without having at least a little something on the ball mentally - but when the puzzle didn’t immediately coming together the first time and required a mental backup/regroup to sort it out, Emily seemed to gridlock mentally.

11 hours ago, Artsda said:

Sabiyah's production of burning the scroll was so full of herself.  Then after all that choosing not to vote. 

With both (a) deciding to target Kaleb as an undesirable F2 opponent only two eliminations into the season and (b) holding off on using her idol to preserve it for future TCs, Sabiyah repeatedly demonstrated herself as prone to what NFL fans call Wildcard Syndrome - i.e., when your team’s in the hunt to get a wildcard berth in the playoffs and you’re already focusing on who their likely conference opponents will be, when what you NEED to be focused on is winning next week’s game or you won’t be in the playoffs at all.

1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

Maybe they clarified this and I missed it, but if Kaleb was allowed to raid another tribe, couldn't he have taken their flint?

THANK you - I mean, wtf good is fishing equipment if you can’t cook the damn fish???  I love sushi as much as the next guy, but really…?  🙄

• Like 6
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Maybe they clarified this and I missed it, but if Kaleb was allowed to raid another tribe, couldn't he have taken their flint?

I wonder if he was told off screen by production that it was off limits.  Maybe because Lulu already technically has a flint of their own reserved for them already?  That is as soon as they can claim it.  As if that tribe ever could win their flint.

Glad Kaleb survived that silly plot by Sabiyah that was like 10 tribal councils too soon to try. 

I mean he was almost carrying Lulu on his back to the reward win and served as a good shield for the others since he is the one that stands out at the merge from this tribe.  What a total idiot move she tried to make.

Edited by Skooma
  • Like 8
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, Sandiscot said:

I'm sure I probably missed this. Did Lulu ever try to make fire or are they just content to moan about not having it?

They had so many Survivicidal tribemembers who would’ve jumped into the flames, they decided to eliminate the hazard.

• LOL 10

Damnit, man.  Sabiyah was my horse in this race.  Can't believe she was so quick to dump Kaleb after winning one, measly Reward Challenge.  

I used to aspire to do a season of Survivor but I have since changed my mind.  The sheer number and complexity of these puzzles allows me to disqualify myself.  Not going to give y'all the opportunity to talk shit about me and my sorry-ass puzzle solving skills (or lack thereof). 

• Like 5
  • LOL 15
13 hours ago, TVFan1 said:

Sorry to see Sabiyah go. Thinking too far ahead. Guess she thought she was safe not playing her idol.

For her to have felt that secure, they must have done a stellar job of keeping all the discussions about the vote out of her hearing range. She gave up the opportunity not just to save herself but to single-handedly decide who went home. I just can't get behind the logic of liberating the idol in front of everyone then deciding not to use it. How could she not see what a huge target that was going to put on her back?

• Like 9
13 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

Nowadays there is apparently a whole Survivor closet out in the jungle somewhere.

You are absolutely correct. Have you never watched Gilligan's Island? And they were only going on a THREE HOUR tour!!

I meant to say three hour cruise, but my fingers typed tour!

• Fire 1
  • LOL 10
13 minutes ago, lilysmom said:

Have you never watched Gilligan's Island? And they were only going on a THREE HOUR tour!!

Lovey and Ginger were never going to go anywhere without at least one fully packed steamer trunk.

• LOL 10
  • Love 1
21 minutes ago, meep.meep said:

What was with that bizarre singing when Caleb was visiting the Reds?

That was dumb, and I blame Sifu.

J., introducing herself to Kaleb: I'm a singer

Sifu: Let's duet!

J.: Ok!

Sifu: *launches into heavy metal guitar riff*

J.: ...

2 hours ago, SuburbanHangSuite said:

I used to aspire to do a season of Survivor but I have since changed my mind.  The sheer number and complexity of these puzzles allows me to disqualify myself.  Not going to give y'all the opportunity to talk shit about me and my sorry-ass puzzle solving skills (or lack thereof). 

Same here, but I actually gave up that thought with this episode - more specifically, when I saw them going through the running-through-the-ropes part of the RC. I messed up my knees back in April, and one look at them high-stepping it through those rope obstacles had me going “NOPE nope nope nope nope…!!!”

52 minutes ago, tracyscott76 said:

That was dumb, and I blame Sifu.

J., introducing herself to Kaleb: I'm a singer

Sifu: Let's duet!

J.: Ok!

Sifu: *launches into heavy metal guitar riff*

J.: ...

That was the first time I’ve actually liked Sifu.  🤘🏻😆🤘🏻

• Like 1
  • LOL 5

I think the flint was off limits because that is something that only Jeff can bestow. The tribes have to “earn” it. 

I don’t understand people thinking that the game has gotten easier just because the people have a change of clothing. Tribes used to get rice! And every tribe got fire, but now they have to earn it. And Jeff takes it back if the tribe loses. 

The people on Lulu have been living on coconuts and whatever fruit they can find. Which is why I thought the fruit reward was terrible. Yes they were ecstatic over grapes, but fruit isn’t filling and probably gave them all the runs. But they were so starving, even fruit looked good. 

I did enjoy the episode and thought the tribal was fun and suspenseful. 

• Like 10

In Africa they got canned food but had to carry it into their camps.  This was primarily because there was no foraging for food.  Oh, and led to the drama over someone (I forget who) eating canned cherries or beans while the rest of the tribe was out getting elephant fecal matter infused water.

• Like 3
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 1
45 minutes ago, Jodithgrace said:

I don’t understand people thinking that the game has gotten easier just because the people have a change of clothing. Tribes used to get rice! And every tribe got fire, but now they have to earn it. And Jeff takes it back if the tribe loses. 

The people on Lulu have been living on coconuts and whatever fruit they can find. Which is why I thought the fruit reward was terrible. Yes they were ecstatic over grapes, but fruit isn’t filling and probably gave them all the runs. But they were so starving, even fruit looked good. 

I did enjoy the episode and thought the tribal was fun and suspenseful. 

I think the game is easier.  A lot fewer days.  They don't have to boil water.  Just get it from the water tank hidden inside all those fake wells.  And clean cloths to change into is a big deal.

People lived on coconuts in the early seasons too.  Not everybody could spearfish like Richard Hatch or Rupert.  Many a team had players lose 50 pounds or more.  That doesn't happen today with gourmet rewards every other day or so and sleepovers in hotel rooms.

• Like 7

I think the biggest change is how short the seasons are now-almost two weeks.  That's pretty significant.  It's also why so many participants don't seem worried about shelters, food, etc.  There are food rewards every few days and two tribes win some type of food, not just one.  The water is a big thing too-Lulu can still drink their water whether or not they have fire.

And Africa (season 3) when even boiling the water did not get rid of the parasites!

• Like 6
  • Mind Blown 1