Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E16: One on One (Part 2)

Scarlett45
  • Start Topic

As the sit-downs continue, the Browns reveal difficulties that go back decades, including a short time where Janelle left the family; the family discusses Kody's meltdown, and Robyn shares anger over the lack of support from her sister wives.

Air Date: January 1, 2023

I think there was some serious questions that Kody didn’t like, but that didn’t get aired.  He seemed seriously mad about something  when Suki asked him to describe his relationship with Robyn  

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Like 17
  • Useful 3
  • LOL 1
1 minute ago, eskimo said:

I found it very interesting that Robyn just said she is Kody's whipping boy, and that when someone else upsets him, he takes it out on her. I believe it 100%, but find it extremely interesting that she can't put it together that it's HIM that's the problem.  The other three have been complaining about how he treats them, but then when she experiences it herself, it is still not his fault. Can she not admit that she was wrong about him, or does she not have the mental capacity to put it together?  

I think all 4 of these women have been in a relationship with a dysfunctional man-child  My impression of the dynamics they experienced during their individual "me" times with Kody was talking about the other 3 wives- that weren't there with Kody. I think he encouraged this to deflect them from talking about what was lacking in him, he loved keeping the drama and chaos going, and his wives learned this behavior was the only way to get an emotional response or some sort of comfort out of this egomaniac "Whipping girl" Robyn outed them all about this, IMO.The other part that could be fascinating to see is how Kody/Robyn survive without three other women, and their kids, to deflect with. If Robyn is so sad to not have sister wives, and lose the "family," why wouldn't she leave to be with the 3 other wives, and the rest of the children she allegedly loves sharing? I find it highly hypocritical that neither Kody or Robyn seem concerned about their futures with "their" children that are the products of his failed marriages. So family and religion really weren't a factor- in the end these women all wanted a significant other, or a husband.

• Like 18
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 3
2 hours ago, Adeejay said:

So according to Kody, no guy is going to want to date Christine, because if she gave up on a nice guy like him, then there must be something wrong with her.  Ha! Ha! Ha! That’s a good one.  He has lost three wives within the span of a year, and yet Christine is the one who is at fault.  He is unreal.

I don’t understand why he doesn’t just admit the truth. And that is, he chose a monogamous relationship with Robyn over his formerly polygamous lifestyle.  I’ve noticed that when it comes to questions about Robyn, he tends to deflect.  I can’t help but wonder if it’s out of respect for her or if there is trouble in Paradise. 

I forget what he was responding to, but at one point Kody said "I used to be a polygamist" or "when I was a polygamist". May have been when he was talking about the time Janelle went to her mother's? So he's not been a polygamist for a while then?

• Like 5
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Fire 2
  • Useful 2
3 hours ago, Lurk said:

forget what he was responding to, but at one point Kody said "I used to be a polygamist" or "when I was a polygamist". May have been when he was talking about the time Janelle went to her mother's? So he's not been a polygamist for a while then?

I wondered about that too.

Cody obviously hasn't got all his lies straight, as DotDot noted in the reconciliation with Mari. Cody was not as prepared for this interview as he thought he was. I also wondered if Cody talked to all 3 wives about Mari why wasn't Janelle asked about this conversation. She was supposed to be there too. 

Edited by js9548
  • Like 11
  • Useful 2

What the fuck is Kody's self-righteous stance on not speaking about Robyn? He looks and sounds ridiculous.

Robyn is a little skewed on "fighting" - the opposite is not "heart", The opposite is what Janelle said, its stuffing it all in. Disagreements are part of life. Disagreeing is not wrong and is not (always) fighting. Talking openly about a disagreement is mature and healthy. She also used whipping boy in the wrong context. She would be the OG3's whipping boy, not Kody's, if she was one.

Janelle is revising history a little in this episode. She has said how lonely Flagstaff was for her. It wasn't until the pandemic and Christine's change of heart with Kody when they became close. They became close because Christine needed an ally and Janelle needed a friend - full stop. Now that Christine doesn't need her anymore I'm guessing their relationship will fade into Plexus sisters.

• Like 12
9 hours ago, Adeejay said:

I don’t understand why he doesn’t just admit the truth. And that is, he chose a monogamous relationship with Robyn over his formerly polygamous lifestyle.  I’ve noticed that when it comes to questions about Robyn, he tends to deflect.  I can’t help but wonder if it’s out of respect for her or if there is trouble in Paradise. 

He doesn’t just tend to deflect, he flat out refuses. If there’s no favoritism and he isn’t doing anything wrong, what is the issue with answering questions. 

9 hours ago, LEILANI2 said:

Robyn still can't squeeze out any actual tears while whining about Christine ruining her dreams. 

Her dream of being HBIC, the legal wife, spending all the money, nannying out her kids, and lording over other women while smugly humble bragging about her goodness? Geez, I get why she’s so upset. 

8 hours ago, Julyolo said:

The other part that could be fascinating to see is how Kody/Robyn survive without three other women, and their kids, to deflect with. If Robyn is so sad to not have sister wives, and lose the "family," why wouldn't she leave to be with the 3 other wives, and the rest of the children she allegedly loves sharing? I find it highly hypocritical that neither Kody or Robyn seem concerned about their futures with "their" children that are the products of his failed marriages. So family and religion really weren't a factor- in the end these women all wanted a significant other, or a husband.

Robyn won. But what she won was Kody . She gets what she deserves. 

7 hours ago, Lurk said:

I forget what he was responding to, but at one point Kody said "I used to be a polygamist" or "when I was a polygamist". May have been when he was talking about the time Janelle went to her mother's? So he's not been a polygamist for a while then?

Yup picked up on that, too. He was totally talking in a former sense. Not like I’m still a polygamist who just has one wife for the moment but this is still my religion. He sounded like he was done. 

• Like 18
  • Applause 5

I must believe that Suki knows Kody is one batshit crazy asshole.  Right?!?

Favorite moments:

1 - when he goes in for the hug when walking on set and she cock blocks it.

2 - when he reaches across to her and says "baby, we can make it work" or whatever.  She is like...biiitch get back to your side of the set.

• Like 1
  • LOL 5
  • Love 4

Oh lemme add another one:

8) when ROBYN said they’d dump kody on her 😂😂😂😂 so was she in this for the TV money and attention, lording over the other wives, or Kody?

I think she’ll be gone as soon as the tv money runs out, saying she was a victim and had no idea she’d be used and abused AGAIN. And Meri will still be sniffing around like an unwanted stray dog grasping for crumbs. 

• Like 7
  • LOL 3
  • So, Kody now describes his marriage to Meri as a big mess, after their initial honeymoon period.  Janelle and Christine back this up.  She was a difficult person to live with, HOWEVER, do you recall how Kody seemed to be crazy over her in the early days of the show?  Back then, I got the impression that the first wife was the favored wife and Leon got top notch status too.  I used to resent Kody for seemingly allowing Meri to be spoiled!  But, was that all a lie? Was he loathing her under his breath?   He wasn’t favoring her after all?  He didn’t want  to have another baby with her no matter how much he followed her around, begging for an answer?  Was nothing as it appeared?  Are we now getting the true story?  
  • Is the reason Kody won’t describe his relationship with Robyn that she doesn’t really like him and tells him so?  Lol. 
  • Like 12
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 3
  • LOL 2

Meri, young, in love and infertile. Her heart broke when her husband married her brother's ex wife as his "new best friend." Janelle, pregnant and/or postpartum as Christine comes in - and aligns with Meri. Eventually Janelle  needed to leave for a while. Christine, shattered when her desire to be the last wife was gone. She sees her husband fall in actual love with a new, young thing. We knew all this before.

Each displayed jealousy and territorial behavior in their own way. Some overtly b*tchy like Meri. Some more covert and passive aggressive. But they all struggled. Except Robyn who really hasn't had to ever experience this phenomenon. It's easy to say "I want the family" when you are the favorite wife (that's something they each used to say at one point or another more than likely). 

I still don't get why they are all pointing the fingers here. Isn't it the massively messed up patriarchal ideology of "the principle" that should take the blame here? And of course Kody, who I think figured out a long time ago that "its all about ego baby"

• Like 16
  • Applause 4
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, Chris Knight said:

I hate Robyn's humble bragging. I don't fight, I'm all heart, all I ever wanted was relationships with Christine and her kids, Kody keeps saying I'm perfect.....shut up !

hour ago, Meow Mix said:

Wow, at this point, Kody and Robyn can't keep their lies straight at all.

She reminds me of Meghan Markel.

Edited by Kid
  • Like 8
  • Applause 5
  • LOL 4
  • Love 6

I think it’s interesting that that none of them really discuss the Principle per their teachings.  I guess Christine doesn’t prescribe to it anymore, so there’s that.  My understanding is that it’s not about being in love, happy or respected.  It’s about doing your duty and living the lifestyle, per the teaching.  You just suck it up, if you want a good life after death experience.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Like 7
  • Sad 2
  • Love 1
53 minutes ago, Tuxcat said:

Meri, young, in love and infertile. Her heart broke when her husband married her brother's ex wife as his "new best friend." Janelle, pregnant and/or postpartum as Christine comes in - and aligns with Meri. Eventually Janelle  needed to leave for a while. Christine, shattered when her desire to be the last wife was gone. She sees her husband fall in actual love with a new, young thing. We knew all this before.

Each displayed jealousy and territorial behavior in their own way. Some overtly b*tchy like Meri. Some more covert and passive aggressive. But they all struggled. Except Robyn who really hasn't had to ever experience this phenomenon. It's easy to say "I want the family" when you are the favorite wife (that's something they each used to say at one point or another more than likely). 

I still don't get why they are all pointing the fingers here. Isn't it the massively messed up patriarchal ideology of "the principle" that should take the blame here? And of course Kody, who I think figured out a long time ago that "its all about ego baby"

I know they all used to say the "I want the family" years ago. But during the pandemic, I thought Robin had some talking head about she wanted the polygamy, not monogamy. If she wanted monogamy she'd have married someone else or stayed married to someone else? Anybody else remember something like that or have I been watching this show too long?

• Like 8
15 hours ago, eskimo said:

I found it very interesting that Robyn just said she is Kody's whipping boy, and that when someone else upsets him, he takes it out on her.

Actually, I think she misused the phrase that she is his whipping boy; she went on to say "when one of the other wives is angry with Kody, they take it out on me;" which really means she thinks she is THEIR whipping boy. Either way, once again, Robyn is the ultimate victim in all of this.

• Like 19
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

I keep wondering if the money from TLC is really worth the humiliation and embarrassment that Robyn and Cody should be feeling for all the lies and manipulations that have been exposed about them. Aside from what the posters on this Primetimer site, have exposed, the actions of Cody himself were not of a mentally sane man.  Is the money that worth it? 

• Like 11
  • Applause 2
  • Love 2
27 minutes ago, Lurk said:

I know they all used to say the "I want the family" years ago. But during the pandemic, I thought Robin had some talking head about she wanted the polygamy, not monogamy. If she wanted monogamy she'd have married someone else or stayed married to someone else? Anybody else remember something like that or have I been watching this show too long?

I think she said she had a lot of other "choices" and chose Kody because she wanted polygamy. Janelle chose polygamy too. Meri and Christine, I'd argue, didn't have much of a choice.

• Like 9

According to what I have watched this season and from the spill alls, this show has been one big farce from the beginning. I don't especially like that the wives went along with the big lie. But I do like Janelle very much and I also like Christine.

Rib n reminds me of my best friend. She thinks everyone hates her and blows things up in her mind. All Robyn has to do is convince Kodyvirus  and he believes the other wives are bitches.

I just don't understand Meri. She just needs to go live at the inn and forget Kodyvirus  forever.

• Like 7

I was so, so hoping that when we were forced to watch Kody's heart-wrenching, overwrought soliloquy that the wives, in their little boxes in the corner watching, would laugh or roll their eyes. I mean, c'mon ladies- couldn't you just see the phony indignation, the hair-flipping fake agony, the totally attention-seeking nonsense? Instead, they continue to justify him: "oh, he was being real and very upset;"  "he was in so much pain."  

Also, in rewatching that scene, I again noted that he completely twisted the opening line that we've heard Christine say for years and years now: "I didn't just want the man; I wanted the family." And he yells: "You said you just wanted the man and what *I* could do for *YOU*!!! You never cared about the family!" She needed to correct him then and there, but she didn't. And hey, Kody- when a woman is raising six children (the last of whom you were barely in attendance for the birth since you were busy bedding Robyn) as well as six of her sister wife's children, that's being involved in a family to the nth degree. I doubt that during those years Christine even had time to think about what you could "give" her (other than more babies) because, well- she was a bit busy.

Also, Robyn repeatedly saying "Christine doesn't want a relationship with me or my kids" over and over was ridiculous and Christine missed a good opportunity to say, "hey, I have nothing against your children but I don't want to try and forge any further relationship with YOU." It goes without saying that Christine probably won't be seeing much of the K&R kids anymore but she can say "this has nothing to do with your kids." You can bet that line was repeated to Robyn's kids many times after the porch meeting. 

Do any of us doubt that Meri was a pill from the beginning? I hadn't heard that she and Kody had problems from day 1, but then again we're hearing that from the King of Fibs. But can I see her saying "who put the oranges in the refrigerator?" or "Ugggh, there are dirty dishes in the sink AGAIN." And how funny that Suki knows so little about this family that she was totally SHOCKED hearing that Janelle had left the family for a while? I think she is the only one who didn't know that; yet it was all brand new to her.

I am glad that Christine found her way out of the family, but I still get aggravated by her little breathy voice and repeats: "It was harrrd. It was harrrd." I give her credit for not stooping to Kody's tantrum levels of emotion during the family meeting, and I am happy for her that she has a friend in Janelle. (Interesting that Kody can now further blame Christine for "poisoning" Janelle into leaving the marriage as well). I think his mistreatment of Janelle's sons and the fact that her kids are pretty much adults and gone now have given her the courage to get the hell out. Some think she was too passive regarding his Covid protoculls and shutting out Gabe and Garrison; but I think she talked at length with her kids about the situation and waited until she was well-positioned to get out (moved from her rental, made arrangements to move elsewhere, got Savanah out of high school). Good for her.

• Like 17
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, UsernameFatigue said:

It seems like Kody's remembrance of Christine being mad that he wanted to reconcile with Meri was actually Christine still being upset about the one big house he wanted to build. Kody even said that the conversation was after the house conversation, and I think either because he is think as a brick, or wanted to remember the convo that way, he misconstrued why Christine was angry.

That's another big stretch for Kody. Christine didn't want to live in one house, Christine didn't want to live in one house with Meri, Christine didn't want to live with Meri, Christine didn't want Kody to live with Meri, therefore Christine stopped him from reconciling with Meri and living together in the one big house.

2 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:
  • So, Kody now describes his marriage to Meri as a big mess, after their initial honeymoon period.  Janelle and Christine back this up.  She was a difficult person to live with, HOWEVER, do you recall how Kody seemed to be crazy over her in the early days of the show?  Back then, I got the impression that the first wife was the favored wife and Leon got top notch status too.  I used to resent Kody for seemingly allowing Meri to be spoiled!  But, was that all a lie? Was he loathing her under his breath?   He wasn’t favoring her after all?  He didn’t want  to have another baby with her no matter how much he followed her around, begging for an answer?  Was nothing as it appeared?  Are we now getting the true story?  

Yes but when they started filming the show Meri had recently introduced Kody to Robin and suggested that Robin join the family, so she was definitely in Kody's good books at that point and still being rewarded for that.

2 hours ago, lilysmom said:

Interesting take on the "whipping boy" comment. I interpreted it in a different way entirely. I thought she meant that when he does or says something the other wives don't like, they take it out on her, that she takes the blame for what he does/says. For example the covid rules. In her mind, HE made the rules, but the other wives and kids blamed them on HER.

Robin had the correct interpretation. A whipping boy was (supposedly) someone who took corporal punishment in place of someone else who had committed a transgression. In the instance of royalty, if the prince has done something deserving of punishment, the prince's whipping boy will receive the punishment instead. So in this case the OG wives punish Robin for things they know Kody has done, because Kody is the "king of the castle" and above reprimand.

Edited by OldWiseOne
  • Like 11
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 2

Seems to me, if Kody didn't have any fillins at all for Christine, then her supposed reaction to him wanting to supposedly once upon a time get back with Meri, wouldn't have mattered. At all. 

He's a liar and is trying to put deeper wedges in the family. And Christine is a convenient scapegoat. Because, like he said in one of his talking heads, it ain't his fault [for nothing].

• Like 12
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, KateHearts said:

Actually, I think she misused the phrase that she is his whipping boy; she went on to say "when one of the other wives is angry with Kody, they take it out on me;" which really means she thinks she is THEIR whipping bo.y. Either way, once again, Robyn is the ultimate victim in all of this.

I thought that a whipping boy is someone who is punished for the offenses of another person. (Like the poor child who would be punished when the "prince" misbehaved.) In that sense, Robyn would be Kody's whipping boy, since she perceives that the other wives and kids blame or punish HER for Kody's actions or edicts, (even the ones that actually DID come from her!)

I am old, but always ready to educate myself. If someone has a more informed take on this, I welcome it!

Sorry, looks like Old Wise One beat me to the punch about whipping boy!

• Like 8
10 minutes ago, MamaGee said:

Does anyone else feel like Janelle is the only trustworthy person in the bunch?? She's the only one who seems reasonable!

I’m going to include Suki in the list of non trustworthy and unreasonable participants.  This isn’t her first rodeo with this group, yet she is utterly clueless about them.  And seems to think Kody and Robyn deserve special consideration 

• Like 18
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

Can we talk about Kody's sparkly tie and lavender suit with the pink shirt? Did Ariella choose his clothes? Its such an odd ensemble choice for a Tell All. Is he trying to look like a fun guy? If so, he missed the mark.

I like Suki and I think she does well considering what she has to work with. I don't think she is favoring Kody and Robyn. She seems happy that Christine left Kody.

Robyn's humble brag was nauseating. 

• Like 8