Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E05: The Klum Of Doom

• Start Topic

The designers fashion a look for host Heidi Klum to wear at an awards show. Alpine skier Lindsey Vonn is the guest judge.

We're keeping this episode locked for posting until it airs as there have been some potential spoilers in the media. Feel free to discuss in either the Spoilers or Speculation threads.

ETA- corrected thread title

• Love 2

Poor Kini, always the bridesmaid, never the bride. I knew, though, Sean's was going to be the winner. It just popped.

I wish I knew what those judges were on to consistently praise Amanda. That was another, to me, hideous dress. I agreed with Isaac it looked like a total craft project.

I had no qualms with Sandhya going around and asking for cash. Mitchell was just bitter he didn't think of doing it. None of the designers HAD to give her the money.

• Love 24

The winning dress has been on the internet for over a week now, so I'm just going to quote what I wrote in spoilers because I still feel pretty much the same:

I'm sorry to say, but I don't think that Sean's dress is all that fabulous. I mean it's just a slip dress with deep fringe sewn on in angles. I guess it's kind of cool that the bottom line of fringe is black, or did she walk through tar on her way to the awards ceremony?

Next season, why don't they just do a FRINGE season? It could either be that every garment must have a fringy element OR could mean that we get to be mercifully frozen in amber on a bus for the entire season so we don't actually have to watch.

But editing to add: it was definitely Mitchell's time to go. I was torn between Kristine and Korina though because I haven't seen anything from Korina that I've liked since her cool coats from the Road to the Runway episode. That green dress was HORRIBLE; I kept thinking it must be my screen when she kept calling dark teal emerald green, but maybe not. I would have been okay, frankly, if they had sent all three of them home.

• Love 10

HOW HOW HOW HOW HOW HOW does Amanda continue to get into the top 3 over my weird little Fade?  His print was great! And the little back and forth with Heidi about the green hunter color was so adorable.  What did he say?  "I require strong criticism" or something to that effect?  I want a t-shirt with that on it.

I felt bad for Kini, 2 times a bridesmaid!  Damn, he works FAST-he practically had the whole damn thing done while other designers were still patterning.  

I think my favorite part of the episode was when Lindsey Vonn got up and you could see what a giant beast of a woman she is.  (And I mean that in the most awesome way possible)

Hernan's old model (can't remember whose she is now) is a dead ringer for Emily Blunt.

Edited by larapu2000
  • Love 10

How funny was it when Korina said something to the effect of "Snakeskin will make it elegant and fashion-forward!" and the editors cut to a close-up of Fade's shirt that said "HUH?" in big, bold letters? LOL! 

Still absorbing the episode, will comment more later. 

• Love 11

What does Fade have to do to get some fucking recognition? It must be quite frustrating and disheartening to consistently be in the middle and not get any feedback.

I don't understand how Amanda was in the top when Heidi was the only judge who really liked her dress. I know the challenge is to design for her, but surely there were other designers who had higher scores across the board?

I keep going back and forth on Sean's dress. I think it looks okay from a distant, but up close the fringe looks like brush bristles, and in motion it looks like those giant spinning brushes in car washes. It doesn't help that every car wash in this area has brushes in that particular shade of blue.

• Love 16

HOW does Amanda continue to get into the top 3 over my weird little Fade?  His print was great! And the little back and forth with Heidi about the green hunter color was so adorable

I really did like Fade's dress and hoped he was top 3. I'm not sure what he has to do to get there. To me he's been consistently strong. Maybe he's missing it by a teeny bit?

While I did like Sean's dress, it did seem... sack like I guess. It didn't really give the girl any shape unlike Kini's dress which hugged her in all the right places. BUT I can see why Heidi picked Sean's dress. That was a great color and color tends to photograph better on the red carpet than all black does. And now I've waffled back because if she were to want it to be more figure hugging, it would do weird things to the fringe I think.

• Love 5

So much FUG on that runway. Eliminating about 6 would have been a good idea.

Sean's dress made me think of Sesame Street muppets--- the yipyips, I think they were called. But better he won than that poseur Amanda. The show is trying so hard to make her happen and it's almost as awful as her dresses.

• Love 18

There needed to be a bottom 5 this week. Mitchell, Kristine, Emily, Korina, and Alexander all had serious issues with their garments. Also, I don't know why Alexander continues to win fan favorite; his dead eyes creep me out. 

A bit disappointed to see Kristine go so soon. Her dress was a disaster, but she showed great promise with her look for the 2034 challenge. 

It has been said by others already, but it bears repeating: Sean's dress looks like a car wash. Kini's was a bit expected, but beautifully done and would have been much more flattering, IMO. 

Edited by ThatsDarling
  • Love 7

I couldn't help but think that Laura Bennett from season three would have put some of these designers to fashion shame.  In the time it took them to bitch it wasn't their aesthetic  she would have constructed and beaded a fabulously gorgeous red carpet dress.  

Speaking of which, let me turn my dial up to Harsh Mode and let fly - I don't give a fuck if it's not your damn aesthetic!  It's a contest, it's been on multiple seasons now, you know what's coming.  Okay, so maybe say it's not what you like to do, but suck it up and do it and do it well.  Arrrrrgghhhh!  

On that note, Korina should have been shown the door.  

I had no qualms with Sandhya going around and asking for cash.

This to the nth degree - if she was the first to ask and they gave it to her, more power to her.  She took the opportunity and ended up designing a really pretty dress, and really - that beautiful material wouldn't have helped Mitchell any, I think his design was headed for hot mess land no matter how much their budget was.    

• Love 19

I loved Fade's dress but I bet it would have made it into the top 3, if not the winner, if it had had some sparkle to it.  Maybe alternating lines of sequins or something.  I'm happy that Sean won (instead of Amanda) and also liked Kini's.  Sorry to see Kristine go since i thought she had some interesting designs.  As for Mitchell, well he always struck me as a bit immature as a designer.  He needs some seasoning.

• Love 7

OK, I've held off until now, but seriously, WTF?  Amanda's was Top 3?  Amanda's home-ec project was Top 3?  It was better than any of the Bottom 3 but what does our Fabulous Fade have to do to make the Top 3 around here?  

I want Fade's dress.  

(I thought Sandhya's dress was beautiful this week.  And better than Amanda's, although I didn't think it deserved Top 3.)

• Love 16

I missed the beginning so I don't know what the red carpet event was, but if it had been the Oscars I would have given the win to Kini.  His dress was gorgeous but maybe a little too formal.

Count me among those who don't understand the Amanda love.

Fade needs to be on the top soon.  He is just too good.

• Love 8

Fade, poor baby! That was a cool, cool dress, imo. I sure hope they are saving him for the last half of the season, as some of you have hoped out loud. The only other possible reason I can think of to explain tonight is that maybe it just wasn't a dress Heidi wanted to wear, and the top three really did have to personally please her, which is totally understandable. Not colorful enough for her?

I think she was smart to pick Sean's dress because it did get her and the show a lot of attention.

I like Sensible Char so much, but alas, not her clothes.

Sandhya's a smart cookie, even if she did need to be saved from that Dynasty Disaster tonight. I think her final dress needed to be shaped more at the waist in front, like Kini's.

• Love 6

I loved Sean's dress. The color was gorgeous. I liked Kini's also but it didn't pop like Sean's on the runway. Amanda gag me. That dress looked like she went into granny's button drawer and sewed on a bunch of buttons and ricrac. I thought Fade's was nice also. Everyone on the bottom should be given the boot. I can't stand it when they say they don't do evening. You are on Project Runway. Learn how to make a long dress. Jeez

• Love 12

I thought Sean's dress moved beautifully, and photographed really well. In the pictures I've seen, it looks like Heidi truly enjoyed wearing the dress, so no qualms with his win. Kini's dress was well made, but doubtful it would have had any comments (good or bad) on the red carpet. Amanda produced yet another dreadful dress, but they're keeping her around to justify their bringing back a contestant gimmick. Fade is fantastic and interesting. I hope they start to acknowledge him soon.

• Love 5

Fade's dress was beautiful; can't believe it wasn't in the top three. Didn't like or understand Amanda's tacky dress. Even the trim looked wonky, it was bottom 3 for me. I guess the winning gown was a pretty color but I don't get the fascination with fringe.

Sandyha seems like a special snowflake type to me. Yes, the other designers could have asked for the money but she acts entitled to me. Mitchell deserved to go but Korinna should have gone instead of Christine.

• Love 9

I thought Fade and Kini both had tears in their eyes when they were declared safe, yet again. *Sigh* I loved Fade's dress and he deserves better (or at least some feedback). I really don't understand how Korina survived. All three at the bottom were horrible. At least Nina admitted she liked Kristine's modern side panels (but maybe on closer examination she lowered her scores).

Mitchell's was just terrible. I can't even imagine in past seasons of PR that just hacking off the bottom would have been acceptable. Korina's was the worst IMO. Does she even know what Kelly green is? The fit, finishing ( side zipper) and back which wasn't even lined up properly was a disaster. I literally gasped when I saw it come down the runway. To be fsir Kristine's wasn't much better.

Okay I was spoiled because Heidi was all over the news wearing Sean's dress. Did he add a red fringe panel for the actual runway or am I dreaming?

This was the worst bottom three I've ever seen on PR and I've watched all seasons. Geeze, maybe they could add an extra day to a real world challenge?

Amanda WTF? I thought the top was ill fitting and the embellishment looked like something a kindergarteners would glue on especially the ric rac along the sides.

Poor Kini. He can't catch a break.

• Love 8

Also, I don't know why Alexander continues to win fan favorite; his dead eyes creep me out. 

Alexander keeps winning fan favourite? Who is watching this crap besides us cause I know none of us are voting for him...

I liked Alexander's portfolio and clothes immensely during the road to the runway, and I really liked his look last week.  Aside from the massively short back, I thought his dress this week was interesting, and wish he had taken the chance to go to Mood for more material so we could have gotten the full effect of his idea.  But to each their own!  (Also, I don't vote in those polls, so I'm not sure how he's getting those votes either, lol.  I would vote for Fade!)

• Love 1

During the part when the judges were having their close up of the garments there was a conversation between Zack and Nina that went something like, "what can we do to bring out the best in them" or something along those lines. I forget what their answer was, but my own answer was "give them more time." This little conversation pissed me off to no end. I wanted to smack the both of them. Like one of the designers said, a red carpet dress takes a lot thought & time. But they only had one day. What the fuck? Judges, want to see better designs, let them have more time to work on them.

Fade's dress was awesome. I think/hope he will get more credit once the flotsom is weeded out.

• Love 20

Ugh... there was a lot of fug on the runway this week! I definitely thought Kini should have had the win, that dress was amazing... but Sean's fringe looked great, too so I'm okay with the win... and I'm good with who went home as well, but I do agree that many more designers should have been the bottom.

I will agree with those above who didn't get the Amanda love... it was kind of a pukey color and the beading/embellishment totally screamed Egyptian to me, but not in a good way.

Fade definitely deserves some love, his dress was very cool and different, but still classy. Both of the super short dresses that were safe; Alexander maybe? and the rocker chick who's name I don't know... I didn't like those looks, way too short and definitely didn't look appropriate for red carpet to me. Alexander's looked super bulky to me as well...

While the judges said a few things that had me shaking my head, overall the results of this weeks challenge seemed more appropriate.

Sanhya's dress was pretty- because of the fabric... but it didn't look like it had all that much design to it- just straight flat front. Safe was the right place for her this week.

• Love 7

Did anyone else notice that Sandhya talking headed about how OK it was that she asked for money despite what Some People might say, and Char talking headed about how hypothetical people who objected to Sandhya asking for money would be wrong, wrong, wrong, and and Heidi mentioned on the runway that Some of the Contestants asked for money, and (other than two people interviewing that Sandhya's entire dress was her expensive fabric, which was true) nobody said word one about Sandhya asking for money? I call shenanigans. I'm willng to bet they suggested that she ask for the money, and it was wasted shit-stirring because basically no-one took them up on it.

Possibly because she wasn't able to make anything interesting or attractive out of the expensive material, but still.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 1

A lot of bad designs tonight. I agree with Mitchell and Kristina going home. Korina could have been auf'ed too IMO.

Poor Kini almost gets there, close but no cigar. I did like the colors in Sean's dress though. These judges must like designs with fringe or junk hanging from them this season.

WTF again with the Amanda judge love? Her dress looked artsy fartsy, I thought it was fugly.

Edited by Straycat80
  • Love 1

I thought the top of Amanda's dress wasn't bad, but the beaded panel down the skirt really weighed the whole thing down. It looked heavy and uncomfortable. I thought Sandhya's dress belonged in the top 3 above Amanda's dress. Sure the fabric was doing most of the work, but it was still much better looking than Amanda's.

I think Sean's dress won in part because it was going to photograph much better than Kini's dress -- or any of the others -- because it had movement. It was maybe Zac who said something to that effect, and I think that's one reason Heidi picked it. That and the bright, attention-grabbing color.

Did anyone else notice that Sandhya talking headed about how OK it was that she asked for money despite what Some People might say, and Char talking headed about how hypothetical people who objected to Sandhya asking for money would be wrong, wrong, wrong, and and Heidi mentioned on the runway that Some of the Contestants asked for money, and (other than two people interviewing that Sandhya's entire dress was her expensive fabric, which was true) nobody said word one about Sandhya asking for money? I call shenanigans. I'm willng to bet they suggested that she ask for the money, and it was wasted shit-stirring because basically no-one took them up on it.

I thought Tim told them if they weren't going to Mood, they couldn't keep the $100 but could give their money to someone who was going. The fabric was great, but I think even with that fabric, Korina and Mitchell would have failed. And they would have ruined some very, very expensive fabric.

• Love 7

I knew who was going to win because I read the spoilers, but I can see why Sean won. The color was so vibrant, and it really was pretty to watch the movement of the fringe, unlike the piece of crap Amanda made last week. I just don't get the Amanda love. Her dress looked like a craft project again this week. I thought it was tacky and from the front, the model looked big around the hips to me. Those models are stick figures, so you know you'd have to work to make them look heavier. I loved Fade's dress. It was visually much more interesting than any of the others. Sure it wasn't a bright color, but what he does with prints is amazing. I think his dress showed movement in a classier way than all the fringe on Sean's dress. And it also looked like it was impeccably made. I don't know what the judges are thinking this year. I also thought Korina's dress was worse than Kristine's. I think they only kept her because she causes more drama. I kind of don't think the money thing was fair. I understand the argument that Sandhya was the only one that asked other designers for their extra money, but I had a hard time believing that others willingly gave her their money. It is a competition, after all, and she doesn't seem to have made many friends there. That was surprising to me. Why didn't anyone else ask for more money? Or did Sandhya get there first and we weren't shown the others asking any of the other designers for their cash? I have no skills in art or design, although I did make my own costumes when I did theatre and I made all my kids' Halloween costumes. I've been watching this show since the second season, just because I love to look at the clothes. But so many of the looks this season have been awful and unimaginative. I could have made any one of tonight's awful looks, and there's no way I'd ever be a designer. We, as viewers, should only have to decide which looks we like. We shouldn't have to question why these folks got accepted in the first place.

• Love 3

So once again Heidi's little sweat shop opened it's doors. Once again I have to ask, "Are these people new?" "Do they not watch the show?" "Are they not aware of pop culture at all?" Heidi like color and lots of flash. Sean's dress may not have been the best, but it stood out against that sea of dark colors like a beacon.

I think Sean's dress won in part because it was going to photograph much better than Kini's dress -- or any of the others -- because it had movement. It was maybe Zac who said something to that effect, and I think that's one reason Heidi picked it. That and the bright, attention-grabbing color.

As it should be. Part of being a designer is knowing your audience and dressing them for the occasion. Kini's dress was nice, but Heidi is a bit flashier than that dress. I knew Heidi would LOVE the chance to shimmy that fringe on the runway. It did just what she set it out to do, catch attention. People online lost their minds at the spoiler. I bet the show will also get a slight ratings bump when it's televised on the 24th as well. 

I'm not even getting upset at the ignoring of Fade or the over praising of Amanda. Amanda's dress looked like one of Heidi's old Halloween costume's . It was funny watching Nina and Heidi trying to praise it and Zac & Lindsey (who wasn't a useless judge surprisingly) were like, "That's ugly!"

Until the likes of Korina, Alexander and Amanda are gone, that middle of the pack bunch will get no love. They will almost always be safe. 

• Love 8

I'm okay with Sean's win only because I saw Heidi looking like she had fun wearing it and spinning for photographs at the Creative Emmys.  Given the other choices, it deserved to be in the top.  I'd have picked Kini's or Fade's as the top, at least the top 3.  Like most of y'all, I don't get the Amanda love.  Her dress looked like a simple gown over which LuAnn de Lesseps' entire jewelry box puked.

I did not like the "twist" of giving the designers another shot at Mood.  Last week Sandy was all "If you can't make it work with the fabric you're given than you're not a good designer."  Then this week, she gets a do over (I don't mind the cash grab, that was fair game play) although she could have made it work with the fabric SHE CHOSE!  You can't have it both ways.

• Love 11

Mitchell had to go, but I for one, will miss him. He was one of the most fun people left in my opinion. I will miss all of his encouraging comments on the runway. He did complain in the talking head about the extra money, but I like how he changed his mind while watching the runway and told Sandhya that her dress was worth it.

It's just too bad that Mitchell didn't get recognition for one of his designs before he left. Tacky some of his stuff may have been, but in my opinion, his DVD dress was fantastically tacky and should have won that challenge.

How was Amanda in the top? Those designs on the dress front reminded me of the attachable suspender straps on a skirt jumper outfit I had when I was a little girl - in the 70's. Even the colors were the same.

How was Korina safe? Didn't she have the chopped off bottom and totally messed up back on her dress... in that ugly green-ish? Maybe I'm mean, but I wanted to send her home for the crying and pouting after her criticism. It's too many weeks into the competition for that.

@Milaxx: Once again I have to ask, "Are these people new?" "Do they not watch the show?" "Are they not aware of pop culture at all?" Heidi like color and lots of flash. Sean's dress may not have been the best, but it stood out against that sea of dark colors like a beacon.

Exactly. And feathers? Heidi is not going to like feathers on a dress of hers. I'm pretty sure that she's made that clear before. Especially as a neck adornment, they'll just scream Blanch Devereaux and Golden Girls. Or as Heidi said: Joan Collins and Dynasty.

• Love 2
Last week Sandy was all "If you can't make it work with the fabric you're given than you're not a good designer."

Context is everything. That made sense in regards to that specific challenge in which Hernan was complaining as if they all didn't have crappy suits as their basis. This week the client (Heidi) said she did not like the dresses. Since the client (Heidi) said in effect, "try again".  She would ave been foolish not to use the opportunity.

• Love 16

I love how some of the designers were pissed that Sandhya collected a ton of money-- when they could have done the same damn thing. Don't hate the player, hate the game! Love how Char supported her too, even as she was one of the designers who went back to Mood. I liked her (Sandhya's) redone dress, though the neckline seemed too mature.

I liked the idea of Amanda's dress, but I think it was way too heavy on top. And a little too crafty. But the idea was not a bad one.

Loved Fade's dress-- what a spectacular pattern! I definitely would have placed him in the top three over Amanda.

I love the color of Sean's dress, but yeah, my first thought was car wash brush. Between his and Kini's, it's hard-- color vs style. Loved Kini's dress, it was truly stunning. Sad to say, probably too sophisticated for Heidi. I can see why she chose Sean and I'm ok with that.

Personally, I would have send Mitchell, Kristina, AND Korina home. They were all awful. Alexander should have been in the bottom too for the buttcheeks hanging out, but those were definitely the worst. I have to say, though, I'm a little sad Mitchell is gone now-- his design aesthetic leaned towards tacky, but he was a nice guy.

Edited by catray
  • Love 2

I almost didn't watch, I DVR and watch later on this show, since the winning dress as all over Yahoo on Monday so I've seen it for a week. I totally forgot about Heidi basically saying 2 people would be gone this week, so that was a nice little surprise when we got to that part. Plus, it was such a fucking train wreck, totally worth watching. I don't know what the hell instructions they were given, but good lord, did they just tell them everything opposite of what they wanted? 

Here's what I really don't understand… these were the Creative Arts Emmys. Held in August. Did no one think maybe some color, lighter fabrics, or something fun would have been a good idea? I know they maybe didn't know the date when this was filmed, I think the Emmys went from September to August, but it's not like they would have been held in February or March when some of these fabrics would have made a bit more sense. Unless they weren't really told what it would be worn at and that was dubbed in later. Come to think of it, I don't remember any of them saying anything about the Emmys. Could they not have known? That would explain the lack of appropriate dresses for the event. 

Personally, I would have booted all 3 of the worst, but that would have messed with production. Which leads to another WTF moment. Mitchell got the auf, and sent to the others. But that left Korina and Kristine on the stage. Heidi says, Korina you are safe, that means you are out Kristine. Korina leaves, goes back, but doesn't tell the others Kristine got the boot too? Was this another production monkey at work? Korina's dresses were both just so ugly. Her drawing looked decent enough and the colors in that were really nice greens. And then she buys the two ugliest greens she could have found. 

I think Sean was just like, I've been in the bottom a couple of times, but Amanda keeps winning with strings, fuck it, I'm sending strings down too. 

• Love 1

I wasn't spoiled, so I loved seeing Sean's dress!  It was so much fun, and definitely attention-grabbing, which Heidi would love.  Kini designed a lovely dress, too.

I hope Fade will have his day in the top soon!  I always like what he designs and really want to see what he does next each time.

I agreed with the bottom, and felt all three of them could have gone home and we wouldn't be missing anything.  I felt a little bad about Mitchell, since I really like his discs dress, but he tanked this challenge.

I can see how Heidi would make them nervous, but why did so many of them act like it was such a huge surprise that they'd be asked to design a red carpet dress? 

When I try to picture other celebs who might wear Kini's dress (Julia Louis Dreyfus, Julianna Marguilies, or Tina Fey), I realize that was not a Heidi dress. I think there was a kernel of an idea in Amanda's dress, but she needed more time to think on it. I thought Fade's flowed beautifully, but was dated and terrible. I hate mullet dresses, even ones with trains.

Those were the right two to go home. I think they kept Korina because she's a big ole bitch and will likely bring drama later on in the season.

• Love 5

I think they kept Korina because she's a big ole bitch and will likely bring drama later on in the season.

I agree 100%.  When I saw Korina was the fan pick to go home (42% of the vote), I knew there was no way she'd be sent to the workroom.   The show loves her big red-lipsticked mouth too much.

Fuck you, Mitchell, for repeating that Christian Siriano slur.   Enjoy anonymity.

• Love 5

I agree with the designer (can never recall her name) who complained about the underachievers getting a Hail Mary trip back to Mood.   It's like those times in school when you work your ass off to get an assignment in on deadline, but the rest of the class blows it off and then the teacher gives them all an extension.   The ramifications are even more serious on the show because they're in direct competition with one another, at the risk of someone being booted from the program. 

• Love 6

Amanda placing in the top 3 was ridiculous. The trim looked it was applied in her sleep, and the style was not anything Heid would wear on a dare, regardless of what she might spew on the show.

• Love 6

I'm glad that I'm not the only one who doesn't understand the Amanda love. At least Zac criticized it. I don't see how she consistently ranks in the top three with four judges each week. There must be production manipulation, and that's disappointing. Fade deserves so much more recognition, and he never gets it! That Korina chick has a bad attitude, but the producers enjoy keeping a controversial character, so she gets to stay, despite an atrocious outfit. 

I think it's obvious that the judges know whose model is with each designer, so the idea that the runway is anonymous is just silly.

• Love 8

I agree with the designer (can never recall her name) who complained about the underachievers getting a Hail Mary trip back to Mood.   It's like those times in school when you work your ass off to get an assignment in on deadline, but the rest of the class blows it off and then the teacher gives them all an extension.   The ramifications are even more serious on the show because they're in direct competition with one another, at the risk of someone being booted from the program. 

I don't understand this way of thinking. None of the designers, save Sandhya(sp?), benefited from going to Mood. They lost time and their original vision. It was also huge waste of money. They would have been better off begging for spare fabric in the workroom.

• Love 4

I was spoiled all week because of Heidi, but I didn't know who went home. There was a lot of really bad dresses this week.

Liked
Fade-my second favorite
Kini-beautifully fitted, elegant, thought this should have won, so much nicer that Sean’s
Sandhya
Samantha
Sean-not so much liked as thought it was OK, no idea why it won.

Didn’t Like
Char-didn’t like the way the top fit, & the color was too much
Emily-slutware! I’m surprised Heidi didn’t love it
Mitchell-didn’t fit well, badly sewn
Korina-what’s with the ugly green? horribly sewn, lucky that Mitchell & Kristine got eliminated because she was just as bad
Alexander-waay to short in the back, front OK
Kristine-badly fitted, hated the material,
Amanda-don’t know why, I just don’t like it

When Heidi came back in the work room, I was really hoping they would be more money AND more time. Lots of dresses were bad because they just don't have time to properly make garments.

I don't have a problem with Sean's win. He knew his client. Kini's was beautiful, but not something Heidi would wear. I loved Fade's dress and would have put him in the top 3 instead of Amanda.

• Love 13
I did not like the "twist" of giving the designers another shot at Mood.  Last week Sandy was all "If you can't make it work y with the fabric you're given than you're not a good designer."  Then this week, she gets a do over (I don't mind the cash grab, that was fair game play) although she could have made it work with the fabric SHE CHOSE!  You can't have it both ways.

I thought it was interesting because that return trip really did not influence the outcome. For those who decided to start from scratch, with the exception of Sandya, their new designs sucked also plus they were in a time crunch. 

• Love 2

If they gotta do the red carpet celeb challenge then I'm always glad it's a Heidi dress. I love watching her in the workroom. She loves her PR, she loves being there, judging, and it shows, and it makes watching PR a much more fun experience than it could have been.

LOVED Sean's dress. So glad it won. First time this season where my definite top look won. Did not get Amanda being in the top again. She took Fäde's spot. Again. I thought Emily had a chance of being on top, not that she should've been, but I figured Heidi would be like a moth to a flame looking at that short dress.

Korina should've been sent home over Kristine. At least Kristine had a speck of an idea in there, but Korina's was just nothing. One of the few times when I said to myself that I actually could have done that myself, and I can't sow for shit. She must've been safe for the potential drama.

I loved Char's "You go, girl" talking head about Sandhiya's borrowing money. I thought the same thing.

Edited by joelene
  • Love 6

I thought it was interesting because that return trip really did not influence the outcome. For those who decided to start from scratch, with the exception of Sandya, their new designs sucked also plus they were in a time crunch. 

But it could have worked out differently.   Say Korina had been less committed to her bad taste and opted for a better color, one that refreshed her inspiration and put her in the top three, leaving one of the designers who didn't go back to Mood in the bottom three.    Potentially some designers were placed at risk by the others' original ineptitude.

• Love 3

Jeeze, what's happening to me?  I can live with the winner and the losers.

Good:

Fade:  Heidi likes flashier colors, that's all that kept this one out of the top.  I loved the way he worked the patterns.  The shape was lovely.  Fade is turning out to be one of the very best in this competition.   This should have gotten more praise and probably would have if this wasn't a Heidi challenge.

Kini:  Friggin' spectacular, although not entirely original looking.  Loved it.

Sandhya:  Sure the fabric carried her a bit in this out fit, but she was smart enough to work the money angle and ended up with a gorgeous gown.  I think that her first fabric, the gold daubed with the green could have been lovely in a different design.  I'm glad she took advice and got rid of the one shoulder feather mess.  Not the winner, but a good one.

Sean:  WOW.  Great effort.  Amanda, THIS is how fringe is done.  Hang your fedora wearing head in shame, girl.  This dress was amazing.  The cut of the dress is absolutely Heidi.  The layering of the fringe was smart.  The whole thing turned out gorgeous.

Bad:

Alexander:  WTF was that?  Strangely stiff in the front, showing butt cheeks in the back.  He's lucky that others were much, much, much worse.  This outfit showed a complete lack of taste and didn't show much in the way of skills.

Korina:  Oh, honey, bless your heart.  This looked like someone was trying to teach herself to sew from a Butterick pattern from the 70's.  Hideous.  That shade isn't emerald, either.  She's lucky she didn't go home.

Kristine:  Below the waist, it was fine, but above the waist was spectacularly bad.  She didn't take Heidi's input regarding devil horns, either.  Deserved to go home.

Mitchell:  He was well past his sell-by date.   I can see Mitchell having a great career designing clothes for wealthy South Florida society ladies.  He wasn't able to stretch beyond that, though.  That dress was an absolute mess.   Sayonara.

Samantha:   Another WTF, and she's lucky the bottom three were so frickin bad.  Bird boobs.  Odd side train.  And it still manages to be boring.

Meh:

Amanda:   The dress was fine. Nothing to gush over.  This was the "going on a cruise ship" outfit Heidi was worried she'd get.  It's the same Cleopatra inspired gown we've seen on runways since the 1950's, although probably cut a bit deeper.  I really didn't care for the combination of colors in her trim.  The blue was a pretty shade.  The coppery color can be pretty.  Together, I didn't like it.    I didn't understand the gushing over this one, although Zac didn't seem as impressed as the other judges.

Char:  I like Char but I think we may be learning that her skills and imagination are limited.  This dress looked like a first attempt by a design school student.  Char's skating along in the middle, but as the really bad designers are sent home one after another, she's getting closer and closer to the bottom.

Emily:  Good heavens, WTF was that.  Sure, short and tight are exactly Heidi's style, but she went into sci-fi villainess territory.   Ugly. 

• Love 6