Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E05: The Klum Of Doom

• Start Topic

I totally forgot about my favorite part of the episode- when Heidi walked into the workroom and mentioned how they had to do well because they'd be dressing her, it seemed like the camera zoomed out on what was a terribly busy outfit (maybe fashionable, but not great to my untrained eye).  It felt like a subtle diss of her taste, and I enjoyed that. 

I was drinking, though, so I may have made that up entirely.

• Love 9

This episode....

1. Sean's dress - I loved the color and I loved the ombre effect on the fringe, so I'm perfectly happy that it won.  

2. Kini - while I thought his dress was great, I think with all black it would be hard to see any detail, and I'm not sure anyone is going to photograph Heidi from the back.  I also think they somewhat discount his efforts because he is so fast.  I don't neccessarily think its fair, I just think they are more apt to give the prize to someone who was laboring hard, or in this case was in the bottom last week.

3. Time - I know there was a lot of misses on the runway, but I place that squarely at the feet of PR for making this another one day challenge.  The one day challenge thing is totally ruining what was the best part of the show for me...the runway.  Yes, some designers manage to make beautiful garments in a day, but so many more talented designers fall down because they don't have any time.  I truly believe that it takes weeks to make a red carpet gown, and so even giving them two days would be asking them a lot, but giving them one day is ridiculous!  And by only giving them one day, I think some of the more talented designers don't want to take a big risk, because they know that if it fails they don't have any time to really revise and do a good job.  It used to be, that a designer could have a "make it work" moment, and they had some time to make it work.  Now they almost literally have a make it work "moment" and its too hard to turn the Titanic around at that point.  I mean, if they want to save on production costs, why not start asking them to do a 2 hour challenge, its just ridiculous.  At some point they have to spend money so that the one thing people enjoy most about the show...the runway show isn't ruined.  Its just annoying.  I was hoping against hope that when Heidi came back in, she was going to announce that they had another day.  Its not in anyone's best interest to take a risk on this show because if they can't execute perfectly in a short amount of time they have no time to save their dress.

4. Korina - I think she should have gone home, not only was the dress awful, but she got another non-vibrant green.  As soon as I saw the fabric, I knew it would be a problem

5. Guest judges - everyone has an opinion, but I like it when guest judges aren't so harsh

6. Fade - loved his dress, just loved it, could see where maybe there would be an issue photographing it, but I do think he should have gotten the recognition of being in the top 3

7. Sandaya - I think she was smart to ask for all that money.  Mitchell was full of shit....so Sandaya should go around hustling to get extra money, and then should simply hand over the money to you because you want it?    Having said that, its interesting that a dress that cost under $250 to make won, while a dress that cost over $400 to make was only safe.

8. Amanda - I actually liked her dress from afar, it had a very Egyptian feel to it IMO.  

• Love 4

Upon looking again at Fade's dress, which I still really really love, I have to reluctantly say I think it doesn't have enough red carpet star wattage. As beautiful as she might have looked in it, even Heidi might have faded--sorry!-- into the background when there were more colorful fabrics around her. And our Heidi does NOT wish to fade, thank you very much. He strikes me as a designer who is pretty much nailed down tight to his own aesthetic, which will allow him to create a fabulously cohesive runway show if he gets to do that. But it also means he never quite gets from wonderful to wow on a runway. I really want to see him at least try more color, and I wish the judges would challenge him in that way. Of course, first, they'd have to actually talk to him.

I'm on the world's most messed up sleep schedule and rewatched the end of the show this morning at like 3 am. On second watch, it became even more apparent to me why Fade didn't even get top 3. I'm not s huge Fade fan, I don't dislike him, just not overly in love with him, either. When I saw it go down the runway a second time, it looked chintzy and not exactly a red carpet event dress. The material looked like it was better suited for a shirt, not a gown, and would have been a better suited for a random event for a TV show or fundraiser. Honestly, I could see Heidi wearing it while shopping with her friends, the fabric and pattern were just not red carpet event worthy. 

Sandyha seems like a special snowflake type to me. Yes, the other designers could have asked for the money but she acts entitled to me.

I feel kind of the same way - there's just something smug about Sandyha that I find off-putting.  And there's the comment that one of the other designers made last week about her being completely different off camera that makes me wonder.  (I can't remember who said that.)  Maybe I'm just being overly critical because I just don't get the judges love for some of Sandyha's past creations.

Anyway, I agree with everyone who can't understand why Fade hasn't been in the top.  I absolutely loved his dress this week, and his men's suit creation last week was one of my top favorites too -- I can't believe he didn't make it into the Top 3 with either of them!  He's definitely shown that he knows how to work with patterns and I look forward to seeing what he does every week now.

• Love 6

I feel kind of the same way - there's just something smug about Sandyha that I find off-putting.  And there's the comment that one of the other designers made last week about her being completely different off camera that makes me wonder.  (I can't remember who said that.)  Maybe I'm just being overly critical because I just don't get the judges love for some of Sandyha's past creations.

Hernan said it, and I'm wondering about that too, because some of the things she does just seem to differ from the personality of the happy go lucky, easy going, affable person that she has been portrayed as.  I'll be interested to hear more at the reunion, or whenever it comes up via twitter.  I'm not sure how it will make me feel about her, but his comment was interesting even though it might have been borne out of anger and jealousy.

Could you imagine what Kini could do in 2 days? I like that Tim and Heidi joked about him having to do some revisions as 'cutting into his nap time.' 

I think he might have taken a real risk in terms of color or silhouette if he had two days, and it would have probably been AMAZING.  But, I think because he only has one day (and he needs those naps) he just went with something that he knew how to do and that would be pretty even if it wouldn't set the world on fire.

• Love 3

Sandyha seems like a special snowflake type to me. Yes, the other designers could have asked for the money but she acts entitled to me.

This has been my biggest problem with her since Day 1.

She did nothing wrong in asking for money, and the amount she got is totally irrelevant and not "selfish" in a competition,but I'm sure she played up her faux-patheticness with everyone she asked, to the point where they would have felt like cruel monsters if they didn't hand over the moolah. I mean didn't any of them find it odd that a two-time challenge winner was coming begging? If they'd been thinking straight it would have been "this is our chance to get her out". And as I speculated up thread I doubt she told each person she asked that anyone else had given her money (again, if that's so it's actually clever, but if so we should be seeing her in a more realistic light than the special snowflake role she pushes fairly hard on appearing as).

• Love 4

Maybe the judges were overwhelmed by the awfulness of Mitchell's dress, but I actually couldn't stop staring at the horribly tacky shoes (nude patent platforms) he paired it with - I was just sure Nina would have some notes about his styling. I suppose there was too much else to say about his mess. To paraphrase what Alexander said, you can't really teach taste, and it was telling to me that even the shoes Mitchell chose were tacky. Definitely his time.

• Love 6

I'm not a fan of fringe, but Sean's dress was one of the best of the worst. This episode was full of bleh, but I did like Kini's. I had expected Heidi would criticize Kini's look for being "too mature" in her eyes, so I was pleasantly surprised when she praised his dress. I wasn't surprised that Zac loved it.

I'm glad to see that I'm in good company in wondering why there wasn't a triple elimination which included Korina. I love green, but her greens were not red carpet appropriate. Even if designing red carpet looks isn't her bag, how could she not know those shades would be unflattering given the event? I'm a bit scared that she's a trained designer who can't discern between shades of green. How does she not know what emerald green looks like? Duh.

Mitchell was far from one of my favorites. He was the "mean girl" in the first episode and lost respect from me, but he wasn't as awful in subsequent episodes. Having said that, it was his time to go home because his dress was hideous.

StanleyK: I thought the nude platform heels were awful too. What was Mitchell thinking?

I disagree with Heidi that red dresses look great on the red carpet. See, I wouldn't wear a red dress to a red carpet event because I wouldn't want to blend in with the carpet. I'm rarely wow'ed by red dresses on the red carpet, so she can stuff it.

I have no idea why, but I kept confusing Christine and Samantha. Neither one has made an impression on me, so I'm not devastated Christine was sent packing.

I'm waiting with bated breath for Amanda to get the boot. Her POV is awful and she's smug. I suspect she'll end up on the chopping block and Tim will use his save to keep her in the competition. At that point, I will break my TV set.

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 3

She did nothing wrong in asking for money, and the amount she got is totally irrelevant and not "selfish" in a competition,but I'm sure she played up her faux-patheticness with everyone she asked, to the point where they would have felt like cruel monsters if they didn't hand over the moolah. I mean didn't any of them find it odd that a two-time challenge winner was coming begging? If they'd been thinking straight it would have been "this is our chance to get her out". And as I speculated up thread I doubt she told each person she asked that anyone else had given her money (again, if that's so it's actually clever, but if so we should be seeing her in a more realistic light than the special snowflake role she pushes fairly hard on appearing as).

I thought they might be thinking that she somehow has ended up winning 2 challenges, and last time she won she was able to pick their fabrics, so I would want to stay on her good side.  Because while I don't think she was looking to really screw anyone with the suits at the Red Robin challenge (I mean, what did Sean ever do to her?), I also think she is strategic, and she might be the type to remember if you refused to give her $100 when she needed it the next time she had an advantage.

Maybe the judges were overwhelmed by the awfulness of Mitchell's dress, but I actually couldn't stop staring at the horribly tacky shoes (nude patent platforms) he paired it with - I was just sure Nina would have some notes about his styling. I suppose there was too much else to say about his mess. To paraphrase what Alexander said, you can't really teach taste, and it was telling to me that even the shoes Mitchell chose were tacky. Definitely his time.

He did not use the Aldo wall strategically so yes, shame on him.  But I think the dress gave them enough, if they had gotten to the shoes Nina might have had a heart attack.

• Love 1

Also not loving Sandhaya. Not at all. I can hardly believe that she's 28, seems mid forties to me. She seems smug and overly pleased with herself. I recognize that she is talented, but I already know that I'll tire of her bright colors. She'll shoe horn them in to every challenge whether they are appropriate or not - because that is her aesthetic/ or because she's one note.

To be fair, she listened to Heidi's critique and switched to a black fabric when she went back to Mood, which is more than Korina can say (I know that's not saying much but still!).

When Sandhya was getting her new fabric and the employee said it was $120, I thought she meant for all the yards she wanted. When I found out it was $120/yd I was shocked.

It's akin to the dopes who to this day go on Survivor without knowing how to make fire.

Heh, I thought it was like those fools who go on Hell's Kitchen who can't risotto or scallops!

Let me just add my voice to the many folks here aghast at the deification of Amanda (bitch didn't even say "Thank you" for her last win) and the ignoring of Fade.

For some reason, my brain read that as "the defication of Amanda."

I can't put any blame on Sandhya for asking the other designers for their extra money because Tim Gunn clearly said that was allowed. The one person I remember seeing her ask didn't seem guilt tripped at all. She just asked very plainly and without whining/embellishment if Kini was going to Mood. He said no so she asked if she could use his extra money. If I had been one of the designers who stayed and someone I didn't want to have that extra money asked for it, I would have either said I was already planning to give it to someone else or I would have just yelled, "Does anyone else need part of my money?" to the workroom. Korina said seven of the designers went to Mood for more fabric so we know five of them had extra money. Sandhya spent over $400 (including her $100) so she got money from at least four of the five. But I'm certain that at least two people who went back to Mood spent over $100 so did they get to use any leftover money from the original $250? Did one of the five designers split their $100 amongst two of the designers who went back? Did Sandhya give those two some of her extra money?

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 1

From what we were shown, she went around the workroom, asking in an audible voice, "Kini, are you going to Mood? Alexander, are you going to Mood?" and if the person said they weren't, she bluntly  asked if she could please have their share of the extra spending money. It didn't seem as if she was guilting or otherwise manipulating them into giving it to her. I'm guessing people may well have been taken aback by her chutzpah in asking, and couldn't think fast enough to do anything in response other than say, "Okay." And she did it all so quickly they didn't have easy excuses like, "Oh, I promised it to Mitchell." Well played, Sandhya!

• Love 7

From what Tim said, it was my understanding that the contestants who chose to stay behind wouldn't get to keep their money and could choose to give it to another designer who needed it.

Sandhya asked three others for their $100 and they willingly gave it up. They were more concerned with working on what they already had.

On one hand, it might be strategic, since she won two challenges. On the other hand, maybe they like her enough over the others that they preferred giving her their $100. The designers who chose not to return to Mood could easily have given their $100 to Mitchell, Korina, whomever, but they didn't. I'm guessing the designers have a better idea than I do about who is and isn't on the level there.

I actually agree with Emily that the others should not have been given a second chance to buy more material. Concentrate on what you have and fix it. Like Tim's always saying "Make it work."

• Love 2

I have no idea why, but I kept confusing Christine and Samantha. Neither one has made an impression on me, so I'm not devastated Christine was sent packing.

Every week I see the show and think who the hell is Samantha? I'm more than sure next week, yet again, I will see it and think there's a Samantha? Same with Emily. 

Edited by Fostersmom
  • Love 7

Every week I see the show and think who the hell is Samantha? I'm more then sure next week, yet again, I will see it and think there's a Samantha? Same with Emily. 

I feel guilty saying that because there are very few people who leave no impression on me. The sad part is that these people are on TV and nope, no impression. Even being on TV doesn't burn them into my mind. That's pretty bad. Don't they hire people with some degree of charisma or drama? Neither Samantha nor Christine is charismatic and they're not dramatic in any way.

• Love 2

I feel guilty saying that because there are very few people who leave no impression on me. The sad part is that these people are on TV and nope, no impression. Even being on TV doesn't burn them into my mind. That's pretty bad. Don't they hire people with some degree of charisma or drama? Neither Samantha nor Christine is charismatic and they're not dramatic in any way.

They only reason I remembered Kristine week to week was the fact she's like 24 and yet has old lady grey/purple hair. I don't mind purple hair, I accidentally ended up with a deep purple once when I tried to go red and loved it, and I think Kelly Osbourne's purple is cute for her personality, but Kristine's always reminded me of the old lady with character in every bad Halloween movie. If she had brown hair, probably wouldn't remember her either. 

• Love 3
Every week I see the show and think who the hell is Samantha? I'm more than sure next week, yet again, I will see it and think there's a Samantha? Same with Emily.

I just read the recap and thought the same thing. Who is Samantha? Emily I now remember because I really liked her episode 3 look and I think she scored highly there. It's interesting because now that I've looked up her picture on Lifetime's website I remember her having several talking heads. 

I understand the need for fashion designers and other creative types to have a distinctive POV.

However, as a consumer, I'm worried more about my own aesthetic and whether they cater to it.

If these designers want to spend their free time making clothes that they love to wear, then fine. Don't go into design as a career. Do it as a hobby.

It boggles the mind that several of these designers don't seem to understand they're supposed to be designing with others in mind. They all got books of Heidi wearing various outfits, yet some of them thought of themselves and how they want to dress Heidi. They weren't considering what Heidi would actually wear because she understands her own POV. This is why I'm kind of surprised that they were allowed a second chance.

If they had been good designers worth their salt, then they would have chosen correctly the first time.

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 4

This was kind of a boring episode... My only remark on it is that I loved how quick Sandhya was to clear out the bank and how shitty Mitchell came off when he got irritated by it...

Edited by odduck
  • Love 3

I think they got the second chance since this was design for Heidi challenge and almost everyone missed the mark by miles. That speaks more about Heidi's hideous taste than anything else. They all had absolute shit designs and yet they thought they were perfect for Heidi. How poorly does she dress that few of them could actually design something she would wear? When the host of your fashion show has such questionable taste standards, she's given absolute crap, that doesn't speak highly of your show. Lifetime was probably stroking out behind the scenes, shoved a bunch of envelopes at Tim, and shoved him and Heidi thru the door telling them to fix it and fix it fast. 

• Love 1

When you're supposed to design for Heidi and get a book of photos, you make a list of adjectives that apply to all of dresses.  When your list looks like this:

1. Bright

2. Low Cut

3. Sparkly

4. Juvenile/Cute

You KNOW exactly what to make.  You don't make sophisticated black lace that would work for Helen Mirren at the Oscars.  You don't make futuristic pole-dancer mini that would suit Rhianna at the Grammys.  You don't make a sleazy red bridesmaid dress. 

You make what Sean made. And won with.

I actually love what Tim said when the judges were doing their close-up look.  "It makes you smile".  And I agree.  Though I disagree that the colors create an ombre' effect.  There was no gradation of color, it simply went from blue to black, with no transitioning tones.  Minor color quibble, though.

I'm hoping Fade is just getting the Dmitry treatment. Safe & in the middle, until his craftsmanship & vision break out into more prominent view.  I hope it comes soon.

• Love 15
If they had been good designers worth their salt, then they would have chosen correctly the first time.

Well I think by this point it's pretty clear that this show has drained the talent pool nearly to the dregs. I don't know where all the creative, fresh, new talent is - I know it's out there somewhere - but one place it isn't is the Project Runway casting call. These days, talent is an anomaly on this show, not the norm.

• Love 7

When you're supposed to design for Heidi and get a book of photos, you make a list of adjectives that apply to all of dresses.  When your list looks like this:

1. Bright

2. Low Cut

3. Sparkly

4. Juvenile/Cute

I was thinking of almost this exact list.  Sparkly go-go dancer dresses should have been the rallying cry.  I think Emily might have won if it had only been more sparkly and brighter.  You need only watch the show to know that that shade of green Korina chose (which I thought was just ugly) was never going to work for Heidi even if she had the design skill of....well the design skill of someone with much more design skill than Korina.

Well I think by this point it's pretty clear that this show has drained the talent pool nearly to the dregs. I don't know where all the creative, fresh, new talent is - I know it's out there somewhere - but one place it isn't is the Project Runway casting call. These days, talent is an anomaly on this show, not the norm.

See, I wonder if thats the case, or if we aren't seeing their best work, or even their average work because they are only getting a day for all of these challenges.  No one wants to take a risk, because they won't have time to fix it, so we are only seeing the average work that people think they can finish in a day and be safe.  I think many of them are talented, but I think almost all of them are hobbled by the ridiculous time limitation on the challenges.  You used to hear designers complaining about the time limits on two day challenges, but now they cut the time in half!  I don't know, maybe super talented designers don't want the publicity or exposure, when what the world will see is something that they have had almost no time to put together.

• Love 11
I call shenanigans. I'm willng to bet they suggested that she ask for the money, and it was wasted shit-stirring because basically no-one took them up on it.

Worse, my first thought with the whole 2nd shopping trip was not that everybody's dress sucked and they were just trying to step-up the game, but that Sandhaya's sucked and they were trying to protect her.  When she was the only one who thought to collect money from the stay-behinds, my head-scratching went from 'gentle massage' to 'bloody furrows'.  They've done this sorta shit before.  

Edited by henripootel
  • Love 3

See, I wonder if thats the case, or if we aren't seeing their best work, or even their average work because they are only getting a day for all of these challenges.  No one wants to take a risk, because they won't have time to fix it, so we are only seeing the average work that people think they can finish in a day and be safe.

Absofuckinglutely. It's simply a JOKE to eliminate creative people who could have a terrific career IN REAL LIFE because they are just not fast and fail to guess correctly what the judges might like or not like that week. GAHHH!

This is exactly how the designers were advised:

Heidi: "I want...Unexpected, Fashion forward. Fearless".

"Tim: "She's not married to any particular look and she wants YOU to be who you are as designers"

So! Basically do just that and you'll win - except of course if you happen to take a stab in the dark as to what colors she doesn't like and miss, then you are shit out of luck. 

I DO agree that so many choosing satin was strange. This wasn't Ramona Singer on the red carpet.

And finally: gee, Nina and Heidi- I wonder why Mood even sells "sad" hues at all if they are so damn useless? Uh, maybe because many of us find muted colors tasteful - and because they flatter us, or we prefer they allow the accessories to take center stage.

Edited by Gumby
  • Love 3

While I totally understand why Emily was upset about the designers having a chance to go back to mood, part of me was okay with it. When you are designing for a specific client, you get to meet with them and discuss things like materials and cut before you actually start constructing the dress.

Yes, the designers should have figured out from the look book what Heidi likes, but at the same time as Tim pointed out, Heidi has worn a variety of colors, necklines, etc.

I know that the show in no way reflects the real world, but since the designers didn't have a one-on-one consultation with Heidi beforehand, they couldn't have known exactly what colors she would and would not like.

While I agree with Heidi about not liking the colors that Korina and Kristine chose, coming into the workroom and saying, "I hate the color but make it work," seems pretty pointless. How? Dye it black? Use muslin? If you hate the color, are you ever going to like the dress regardless of how great the design is? At least with Mitchell, he could have tried to do something with the fabric he had because it was the design she disliked, not the color (although I also understand that if you've already cut your fabric, sometimes it's really difficult to salvage it into a new design that covers all the important bits).

It's a waste of time, money, and fabric to have the designers make something for a specific client without letting them have some kind of Q&A beforehand. Was it the ice skating challenge where they each got a few minutes to ask questions about colors and cuts? That makes much more sense to me.

I still agree that some of the choices could have easily been avoided by just looking at the pictures Tim Gunn gave them. She wants a dress with bare shoulders, neck, chestbone, and arms. That was fairly obvious (KORINA).

I thought the hunter green color was somber, but not sad. I get that Heidi wanted a more vibrant/fun color for something like the Emmys. I think she would have been more open to the color if Korina hadn't created such a frumpy ugly covered up tacky looking dress with it.

Once Heidi mentioned a more emerald green would be better, Karina had no excuse for choosing that second fabric. Is she colorblind? Does she not know what emerald is? Does she need to review her box of Crayolas?

• Love 3
I know that the show in no way reflects the real world, but since the designers didn't have a one-on-one consultation with Heidi beforehand, they couldn't have known exactly what colors she would and would not like.

They all had thick folders with Heidi red carpet looks... If you can't extrapolate which colors she likes and which she doesn't from that, that's the design equivalent of failing English on a 4th grade level because you can't even make a summary of a random literary work.

But I absolutely agree with Korina being colorblind. She chose a ligther hunter green, that was not emerald in any way, shape or form...

Edited by odduck
  • Love 4

Even MasterChef's Courtney (the "aerial dancer") looked at Mitchell's shoe choice and thought "Girl. What are you doing?"

I still say that a lot of the designers weren't paying attention. They could have guessed at the right color had they been paying attention to the Heidi lookbooks that Tim provided. If they still can't figure it out, then maybe it's their time to go home.

Each designer can remain true to his or her POV while keeping in mind that there are certain colors and cuts that Heidi is partial to and when designers eschew the evidence and go with what they want her to wear because it's something they'd like to wear, then it defeats the purpose. Leighdear actually did the best job of breaking down what appeals to Heidi.

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 3

They all had thick folders with Heidi red carpet looks... If you can't extrapolate which colors she likes and which she doesn't from that, that's the design equivalent of failing English on a 4th grade level because you can't even make a summary of a random literary work.

But I absolutely agree with Korina being colorblind. She chose a ligther hunter green, that was not emerald in any way, shape or form...

This! I was wondering why the hell she got that fabric when she went to Mood again. I thought her first dress was interesting, but it was not Heidi Klum. I took it as proof, that Korina did not do research about PR before coming on. When she mentioned real snakeskin, I looked over at my mom and went, "Does she not know Heidi worked with PETA?"

Edited: The heck?

Edited by PrincessEnnui
  • Love 3

Worse, my first thought with the whole 2nd shopping trip was not that everybody's dress sucked and they were just trying to step-up the game, but that Sandhaya's sucked and they were trying to protect her.  When she was the only one who thought to collect money from the stay-behinds, my head-scratching went 'gentle massage' to 'bloody furrows'.  They've done this sorta shit before.

Yep. Anya City.

• Love 5

I loved that exchange between Korina and Heidi. When Heidi said she didn't like the faux snake skin, Korina proudly corrected her and said it was real snake. Heidi's response was to give her a death stare and say, "That's even worse."

• Love 8

I knew Heidi would LOVE the chance to shimmy that fringe on the runway. It did just what she set it out to do, catch attention. People online lost their minds at the spoiler. I bet the show will also get a slight ratings bump when it's televised on the 24th as well.

You mean the Emmy awards? (which will be this Sunday, the 25th). Cuz Heidi wore the dress to the Creative Arts Emmys, which was last week.

ETA: Never mind! Gumby corrected this info.

Edited by LotusFlower

You mean the Emmy awards? (which will be this Sunday, the 25th). Cuz Heidi wore the dress to the Creative Arts Emmys, which was last week.

No, I think she means the Creative Emmy Awards. 

You're correct that Heidi has already appeared at the event. But it indeed will be televised on the 24th, according to [some site]:

"The 2014 Creative Arts Emmys will air Sunday, Aug. 24 on FXM and the 66th annual Primetime Emmy Awards air Monday, Aug. 25 at 8 p.m. ET/PT on NBC."

So we all get plenty of advance warning to see the airing and all its sponsors' commercials. Yay?

Edited by Gumby
  • Love 1

No, I think she means the Creative Emmy Awards. 

You're correct that Heidi has already appeared at the event. But it indeed will be televised on the 24th, according to [some site]:

"The 2014 Creative Arts Emmys will air Sunday, Aug. 24 on FXM and the 66th annual Primetime Emmy Awards air Monday, Aug. 25 at 8 p.m. ET/PT on NBC."

So we all get plenty of advance warning to see the airing and all its sponsors' commercials. Yay?

Oops! Sorry about that. I was confused because the OP seemed to know that Heidi already wore the dress last week, but I didn't know the show was taped and will be aired on Sunday. And then I mixed up the date of the Emmy Emmys! Thanks for all the clarifications.

P.S. Now I'm wondering if Heidi will attend the other Emmy awards on Monday night? If so, I'm guessing she'll wear a better dress.

From what we were shown, she went around the workroom, asking in an audible voice, "Kini, are you going to Mood? Alexander, are you going to Mood?" and if the person said they weren't, she bluntly  asked if she could please have their share of the extra spending money. It didn't seem as if she was guilting or otherwise manipulating them into giving it to her. I'm guessing people may well have been taken aback by her chutzpah in asking, and couldn't think fast enough to do anything in response other than say, "Okay." And she did it all so quickly they didn't have easy excuses like, "Oh, I promised it to Mitchell." Well played, Sandhya!

Yes, the ability of the designers not going to Mood to donate their cash was a poorly designed rule, but it was a rule everyone knew about. One can't blame Sandhya for playing by the rules.

One can blame the people responsible for the stupid rule. The "donation" rule was clearly designed to stir interpersonal conflict. I would rather see the drama come from honest competition than from backstage head games. And it was, in my opinion an unfair rule. All the "do-over" people should have been in the same situation. There was only enough cash in play for one person to do what Sandhya did. Which was buy expensive fabric and use it to sell a simple dress that could be made in the remaining time.

I have always had my doubts about Sandhya's taste level, and here was a challenge where that was turning into a problem for her, and she got an escape clause. I don't blame her for finding her way out a bad situation by following the rules, but it's disappointing as a viewer to see a designer escape from having to wrestle with one of their own weaknesses, especially when that weakness seems intrinsic to the challenge.

Edited by Latverian Diplomat
  • Love 4

Oooo… the dress is getting torn apart on E!'s Fashion Police right now. They hate it, call it a car wash beater, and the guy just said Heidi was complaining how heavy it was while at the event. They are acting like she had no choice in wearing it since it was for the show and saying it needed to be shaved and contoured to shape her body better. Ouch. 

• Love 4

Oooo… the dress is getting torn apart on E!'s Fashion Police right now. They hate it, call it a car wash beater, and the guy just said Heidi was complaining how heavy it was while at the event. They are acting like she had no choice in wearing it since it was for the show and saying it needed to be shaved and contoured to shape her body better. Ouch. 

I do think it looked better on the model better than on Heidi. I don't suppose Heidi can do a one woman runway show for these sorts of challenges (but it would be amusing if she could).

• Love 3

I love red, but it would take a lot for me to wear a red dress on the red carpet because I feel like when you're actually on the red carpet, the dress blends into the carpet.

Or it would be just the wrong shade of red and clash horribly with the carpet.

Hernan said it, and I'm wondering about that too, because some of the things she does just seem to differ from the personality of the happy go lucky, easy going, affable person that she has been portrayed as.

Sandhya may be different when the cameras aren't rolling, but I'd take anything Hernan said about anyone or anything with a whole salt mine.

They only reason I remembered Kristine week to week was the fact she's like 24 and yet has old lady grey/purple hair.

She's 24? I thought she was way older than that.

From looking at the rate the runway pics, I think Amanda's dress would have been better if she had done a flowy sort of skirt (with no beading) with the beaded top. Maybe something in the colors of the beads and sequins. And Alexander's (that is his name, right? not Andrew?) dress made the model look shapeless. It had no waistline.

I do think it looked better on the model better than on Heidi. I don't suppose Heidi can do a one woman runway show for these sorts of challenges (but it would be amusing if she could).

I always wonder if the models are the same size as Heidi or if the designers (or someone else) has to do an entirely new dress (with more time) of the same style for Heidi to make it fit right. Sometimes the dress can be resized, but some of them just can't because of the style or because Heidi is bigger than the model. (Surely some of the models must be smaller than her, although she probably wouldn't admit it.

• Love 4

I do think it looked better on the model better than on Heidi. 

I agree. I think part of it might be because she is twirling so drastically in all the pictures I've seen of her at those Emmys. I really liked it better on the runway when the fringe was just kind of shimmying as the model walked and moved, as opposed to Heidi doing exaggerated twirls all over the place. 

• Love 2

She's 24? I thought she was way older than that.

Her Lifetime bios says 26. I thought she said 24 in that casting special, but given how long ago it was probably taped, she might have been 24 at the time. 

I agree. I think part of it might be because she is twirling so drastically in all the pictures I've seen of her at those Emmys. I really liked it better on the runway when the fringe was just kind of shimmying as the model walked and moved, as opposed to Heidi doing exaggerated twirls all over the place. 

Yes, the model seemed to both really like the dress, and know how to move in it to good effect.

ETA: I just had a thought that in video, shimmying works really well, but still photos really can't convey that. So for stills, Heidi tried to do something less subtle, and it comes across as gimmicky or tacky.

Those were the right two to go home. I think they kept Korina because she's a big ole bitch and will likely bring drama later on in the season.

But she really hasn't been a big ole bitch, not yet at least.  She's been edited that way, but it's basically making something out of nothing.  She's honest about what she doesn't like (or doesn't get) and that apparently never stopped anyone from loving Christian Siriano, who never said a nice word about anyone on his entire season.  I think rather she was edited that way because eventually she does do something, or she is eliminated in some bullshit fashion, down the road.  I completely agree she should have gone this time, instead of Kristine, who has shown much more potential, in my opinion.  (Tim Gunn should have used his save, in my opinion, but on the other hand what a slap in Mitchell's face that would be...)  But I don't think Korina's "bitchiness" was what saved her.  Zac just really really hate Kristine's dress, and they weren't prepared to eliminate three designers at once.

Of course, my understanding of editing is not perfect.  When Samantha was heavily featured in the first fifteen minutes, I thought, "Well she's got to go home tonight, I guess", but then she disappeared from the show and was not even on top, just safe.  So I was not as confident as I would have been that Korina was going nowhere.  But I was pretty sure.

If they gotta do the red carpet celeb challenge then I'm always glad it's a Heidi dress. I love watching her in the workroom. She loves her PR, she loves being there, judging, and it shows, and it makes watching PR a much more fun experience than it could have been.

I really loved Heidi this episode, she was having fun in there.  I feel like other times (like the baby challenge in Elena's season) her banter and good cheer has felt a little forced, but she really did seem light and delighted to be there this time.

Don't you think they're saving that for Amanda?

No possible way, in my opinion.  The judges are never wrong; this is a PR rule.  They eliminated Chris March; he is not allowed into the top 3 no matter what garbage Rami sends down the runway.  They brought back Kate, so Kate does well in the first challenges; but they had eliminated Kate before, so she is not going to survive to the end for sure.  The same will happen to Amanda.

Worse, my first thought with the whole 2nd shopping trip was not that everybody's dress sucked and they were just trying to step-up the game, but that Sandhaya's sucked and they were trying to protect her.  When she was the only one who thought to collect money from the stay-behinds, my head-scratching went 'gentle massage' to 'bloody furrows'.  They've done this sorta shit before.  

This is funny to me just because of the conversation we've been having re: Survivor!

I felt like Amanda was taking a page from the Pankoke Playbook this time, emphasizing the specific words Heidi used.  "You said you wanted this, so I gave it to you, you can't eliminate me for that."  I find this sort of hilarious and great.  I'm a bit more conflicted about Sandhya's machinations with the money.  I do think she was absolutely within her rights, but it leaves a bad taste in my mouth and I'm not sure why.  I think it's because she's playing the game, but it's not Project Runway she's playing.  It's like...you know that old joke about "I don't have to outrun the bear, I just have to outrun you"?  I feel like Kate (and Amanda this episode) was using a sort of strategy in order to outrun the bear.  But Sandhya this week was using a strategy to outrun the other designers.  Does that make sense?  Also, I just don't think that what she did was what anyone intended--though I do agree with Latverian Diplomat that they were trying to stir drama in a stupid way with the sharing rule, I don't think they ever intended that the second-chance money would vastly exceed the original budget.  I'm pretty sure they always meant the second-chance money to be less.  It's a completely different challenge with that kind of money--it's like a different show.  I don't think she did anything wrong, but...she's sort of the Richard Hatch of PR right now.  I don't think Jeff Probst and Mark Burnett knew what game they'd created, and Richard did.  And I don't think Heidi and Tim knew what challenge they were making, but Sandhya did.  That's both great and a little unsettling.

The real problem with this challenge, the reason that everybody sucked except Fade and Sean (BTW, I suspect that Fade is secretly not German at all.  Every time Heidi speaks German to him, he just sort of chuckles and nods, the way you do when you don't understand what someone is saying), is the one-day bullshit.  I think the results of the extra money/trip speak for themselves: an extra day is worth a lot more than an extra hundred bucks.  Even an extra 500 bucks like Sandhya got.  I wanted them to say "we're giving you an extra day" so bad.

Yes, I think Kini's sucked.  So boring.  It's the kind of thing I see in red carpet photos and hate.  Well-made, but tedious, and I'm a little sick of how impressed Kini is with himself.  But I do agree with everyone, this week at last, that Fade's was great.  Sean's was more Heidi, though.  I wish Kristine had just gotten a lining or an under-layer or something instead of starting over and making something awful.  But just about everyone was bad this week.  Blech.

Edited by KimberStormer
  • Love 6

Darnit! I mistakenly cleared all the post I wanted to quote/reply to. Trying this from memory;

Sandhya - She played by the rules. Everyone knew them and f they had any sense they would have simply told her "No". Everybody knows who has won what. They would have only had themselves to blame had she won. I don't dislike her, but I do think she's playing the game. Honestly she's more Wendy Pepper than Anya. Sandhya can sew and actually sews really well. She just seems to be the only one that understands that she is on a reality competition. Heidi said change it, she changed it. They said they could ask others for money, she asked for more. Both Mitchell and Korina went to Mood and repeated the exact mistake they made the first time there.

Kini is never going to win with too safe entries he can clearly execute in his sleep. He needs to be pushing himself instead of taking naps.

I am convinced Amanda's sole purpose if to cause drama. She's not as obnoxious as Gretchen but she has that same 70's sort of aesthetic that for some reason the judges are lapping up. I say she's more Kate 2.0 - the so called fan fav brought back that they will over praise and then auf in the top 6. I think it's just the producers way of stirring up extra drama by making others think that someone is there with an extra advantage. Notice how often she tries to spout some words of wisdom that she feels she learned from her previous season.  Nina almost gave herself a hernia trying to justify that cheap look dress.

Edited by Milaxx
  • Love 5

She probably is attending; she's nominated as a producer for Project Runway and the award for competitive reality program will be given out at that time.

Thanks. But then, what on earth is the Creative Arts Emmys? (I guess I can tune in to find out). Hollywood certainly loves itself and grants a lot of awards. Anyway, I bet her dress will be more glam.

Kini is never going to win with too safe entries he can clearly execute in his sleep. He needs to be pushing himself instead of taking naps.

Man, do I agree with this. I'm impressed that he's such a fast worker, but to not use all the extra time to try something different or take a risk or try to improve your garment is really disappointing, and sorta shows a laissez-faire attitude.

• Love 1

Thanks, Chattygirl, for all that info. I had heard of the technical awards part of the Emmys, and didn't realize it was given a new name. Or maybe just a new set of awards since, as you say, tv and tv categories have ballooned. Anyway, thanks again.

P.S. I agree with you re: award show fillers. Please no Derek Hough dance number, please Master Emmys!

P.P.S. More awards for dramedies? Um - NO! What's next - best guest star supporting actor in a comedy? Oh, wait...

Edited by LotusFlower
  • Love 1