Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E05: The Klum Of Doom

• Start Topic

I loved the winning look, and I'm so glad to see Sean back on top. He was in danger of being labeled by the judges as a non-contender, so now I think he's back in their good graces, especially if he has another good week next week.

Although Kini and a few others made beautiful dresses, I thought they forgot that Heidi is looking to have a "moment" when she appears at these celebrity events. Another black dress, no matter how well made, is not going to separate her from the crowd. I googled Heidi at the creative arts Emmy's and I thought the dress was striking and showed up very well on camera. She looked thrilled to be wearing it. I 'll bet it was very comfortable, something you don't always get when you're wearing red carpet fashions. I also know from experience that it's fun to wear a fabric that other people instinctively want to touch. Heidi might not appreciate it, but I'll bet she had people trying to fondle her dress all night. ;)

Shaking my head at Korina. Talk about hearing what you want to hear....when Heidi said what a sad color her first dress was, and that it wasn't even a jewel tone like emerald green, Korina heard "you said you would have loved it if it had been emerald green". That's not what Heidi said. And even if it had been, neither green was emerald green.

Amazing how many designers can get to this level and not have a basic knowledge of what fabrics work best for what garments.  Even if you don't make evening wear  for a living, shouldn't you know the kinds of fabrics used by the people who do?

Edited by bentley
  • Love 7

I agree with the designer (can never recall her name) who complained about the underachievers getting a Hail Mary trip back to Mood.   It's like those times in school when you work your ass off to get an assignment in on deadline, but the rest of the class blows it off and then the teacher gives them all an extension.   The ramifications are even more serious on the show because they're in direct competition with one another, at the risk of someone being booted from the program. 

I think that was Emily, and I think she was mad after the fact because Sandhya was asking if she needed something, and she was about to say yes when Tim said no if you're not going, you get nothing. She was going to get new stuff and be able to keep sewing.

• Love 1

I have to jump in (finally remembered my password).  Now, I haven't watched the episode and only going by what I've seen on Rate the Runway but wow, some of those dresses were gosh awful ugly.  I saw the spoiler tweet and pics last Saturday and Heidi was definitely working that dress and that exactly what she wanted and what a red carpet dress is for - to work and to be noticed.  Yes, Kini's was great but the color was black and would not stand out at all.

I really loved Samantha's and Fades.  I especially loved Fades and would wear that in a heartbeat.  Too bad neither dresses were in color.

Speaking of color Korina's Mitchell's and Kristine's were awful.  Korina's dress was not only a very boring color and a very boring dated prom dess, but looked so badly made.  Well actually Mitchell's and Kristine's also looked very badly made.  And those shoes that Mitchell's model wore only made the outfit look 10x worse.

and my goodness Emily's dress!!!!! Was she in the bottom??  She should have been.  Okay - now that I'm looking at it again, it really isn't too too bad but it is wayyyyyy toooooo short.  How would she expect anyone to sit for hours in that dress???

Sandhya's dress was okay.  I was thinking what was it about the dress that made me not really like it (other than in was a straight, no really frills dress) and then I thought it was the neckline.  Too me the neckline threw the dress off.

Amanda's dress - well really nothing I liked about it.

Angela should take comfort in knowing that of the 6 designers eliminated so far this season, she's not in the bottom 3.

Hernan's, Kristen's, Mitchell's eliminated designs were much worse than hers.

Yeah, I also don't under the constant love with Amanda.

So far, Samantha, Fade, Emily, Char have consistently been in the middle pack and have yet to face the judges.  Not sure if that's necessarily a good thing at this point in the competition, since they're not getting any feedback from the judges.

Edited by twilightzone
  • Love 1

egpaAMJ.jpgOT5YVEM.jpg

Yes,  Heidi looks lovely in the fringe dress. However, as the model came down the runway. I immediately thought of a Komondor... the dog breed pictured above. There was no doubt this was the dress Heidi would select to wear at the Emmys. NOW... why doesn't Project Runway just have a "Freakin' Fringe" challenge, and let the remaining contestants (as not all are worthy of being considered "designers", IMHO) try their best to also get a win using the judges' (apparently) favorite material/concept. I kind of held my breath after the judging and return to the gathering room. Would Tim even possibly consider using his "save" card for either of the departing participants???? Thank god.... "NO" !!! All 3 should have been "auffed".  More torture next week.... can't wait... *NOT*

• Love 8

Korina is such an idiot. How did she think that Heidi was going to like that long sleeved dress? Even without taking the color into account, there was no way Heidi was going to want to wear that first dress she designed. And she is so self centered that when Kristine came into the break room, she just went on and one about how she only had that dark green fabric that Heidi hated. I was glad when Kristine told her that she was in the same boat. I also hated when Amanda sent Korina to find out what color everyone was using and then report back to her. I know that obviously your fabric isn't a secret once you have bought it, but they were just so juvenile about it.

Korina and Mitchell were such jealous bitches about Sandhya having that extra money to go shopping. As Sandhya said, EVERYONE had the opportunity to ask the other designers for their money if they weren't going to use it. It's not Sandhya's fault that no one else asked.  I loved that Char said she couldn't hate on her for doing it. I couldn't either. I actually rewound and watched her say that again because it was so hilarious to me. I know we are always subject to the editing monkeys but I don't recall seeing anyone else ask the other designers who were not going to Mood if they could have their money.

When Korna bitched about how she would be feeling really good too if she had had the opportunity to spend that much money on new fabric, I wanted to smack her. You could have been in the same position too, dummy! Even if she had been in that position, she would have spent $400 on more green fabric that Heidi hates because she can't take any criticism and apply it to her original idea.

And Mitchell, ugh. Sandhya was being selfish because she used all that extra money to "support herself and get what she needed"? He was just mad that he wasn't smart enough to LISTEN TO TIM GUNN when he said that the other designers' money was up for grabs. If Mitchell had thought to ask for their money, do you think he would have shared it with the other six designers who were scrambling for more fabric at Mood? And he's the dummy who said he couldn't let go of his original devil horn concept, which was ugly and unflattering. Man, Mitchell is so bitchy. He also complained about Kini doing things he's good at. HEAVEN FORFEND. Extra demerits for that hideous sleeveless plaid shirt in his interview AND saying "between the fabric and I." Object pronouns, dude. Learn about them.

I was also annoyed with the Philip B. hair stylist. Stop interrupting while Samantha is trying to tell you what she wants!

I liked Char's purple gown but I didn't love it. There was something about the waist that wasn't flattering. If she had lowered it, I think it would have looked better. The skirt had great motion so I think it was better as a runway dress than as a red carpet dress where you stand and pose.

Emily's dress was really short. I could hear Michael Kors in my head making comments about the model showing her bits, but since Heidi loves short tight dresses, I thought Emily would be safe. The back was sexy which I guess made up for the lack of cleavage in the front.

Mitchell's dress looked better on the runway than I thought it would (it was better than Korina's at any rate, which isn't saying much) but I hated those huge platform shoes he used with them. I also didn't like that the top was shiny but the bottom was matte. I think you have to be careful with shiny red because it can look cheap. I think that's why Nina said it looked like a Christmas ornament. I love red, but it would take a lot for me to wear a red dress on the red carpet because I feel like when you're actually on the red carpet, the dress blends into the carpet.

Korina's didn't look too bad in the front but the back was terrible. That lumpy zipper just killed it. The green color that she chose the second time was still not a jewel color. Heidi said she likes bright emerald green and instead of listening, Korina chose a green that wasn't quite as dark hunter green. I did not feel bad for her when she was crying about giving up everything to be on the show. The fastening on the halter was terrible. I wasn't crazy about Lindsay Vonn as a judge but I was glad she pointed out that the bottom of the dress was just cut crookedly, not even hemmed.

I liked Fade's original dress so I was sad to hear Heidi trash it. Heh but I loved how German he was about the criticism. I think he did a good job reworking the original fabric and design into something new (I think he just got more fabric to redo the skirt?). The way he lined up the stripes made the model's already small waist look TINY.

I hated how stiff the skirt of Alexander's dress was. That point in the front looked terrible when she walked. I also didn't like the collar of the dress because it looked way too close to her face, which made me think that in red carpet photos there might be a shadow on her face. The whole dress was too stiff. The back was sexy. Too bad her butt cheeks were almost hanging out. Heidi said she saw cheeks but I didn't.

Sandhya's dress looked like a red carpet dress because of the fabric, but I didn't think that the design itself was very interesting.

Samantha's looked like a plain black dress from a distance. The detail on the bodice that we saw in the sewing room was not very obvious on the runway. I liked the back though.

Kristine's dress had a lot of boob, but hey, Heidi is the one who said in the workroom that she likes the boobage. Even though Kristine was afraid the bodice looked like devil horns, I thought it sort of looked like hands grabbing the boobs. I was cracking up at Kristine standing next to her model on the runway. That girl is like two feet taller than Kristine!

I liked Kini's but I didn't love it. I liked it better in the workroom. The sequined panels were good for a red carpet though. They break up all the black and catch the light nicely. I think if he had used a lower neckline to give it some cleavage, Heidi would have loved it even more.

Sean's was nothing groundbreaking but it was a beautiful color and silhouette. My only concern was that on a red carpet when you're just posing, you don't see the fringe because it just lies flat. I'm glad that Zach pointed out that it's great to have a dress where the actress can do a motion shot. The dress looks simple but it was more work than it looks like. I would have chosen this dress or Kini's for the win.

I'm glad Amanda took Heidi's criticism and changed the hand beaded part from a bib to whatever that was. I still hated it though. That was so arts and crafts looking to me.

LOVE that Heidi chose Sean's blue dress as the winner. I wish Korina had been eliminated instead of Kristine. I am far more interested in seeing something else from Kristine than Korina. When I remembered that this was a double elimination, I was really hoping it would be Mitchell and Korina. Aside from their distasteful personalities, their dresses sucked so hard.

• Love 2

I agree with the designer (can never recall her name) who complained about the underachievers getting a Hail Mary trip back to Mood.   It's like those times in school when you work your ass off to get an assignment in on deadline, but the rest of the class blows it off and then the teacher gives them all an extension.   The ramifications are even more serious on the show because they're in direct competition with one another, at the risk of someone being booted from the program. 

I thought it was unfair at first, then I realized that the length of time still stayed the same so no one really got an extension.  So the designers who were already on the right track.  The trip to mood and chance to redesign actually cost time and I don't think it changed who would have been on the bottom.  I think Heidi, though, should have given everyone an extra day.

I'm glad Sean won.  Kini's may have been better but Heidi liked Sean's better, which was the important thing.  Fade might have been in the top if it was not a Design for Heidi competition.  I did not like Amanda's.  I think the big strip down the front would have weighed the dress down while walking.  Korina should have gone home instead of Kristine.  There was nothing good about Korina's dress while the judges liked parts of Kristine's, namely, the skirt sides.  Plus Kristine is a better designer.

• Love 3

I was trying to figure out what Amanda's dress reminded me of and then I realized what it was: those kindergarten art projects where you dump a bunch of finger paint on a paper plate and then glue on a million pieces of macaroni.

I think if anyone but Amanda had designed that dress, Nina would have said the strip of beading down the middle looked like it was pointing at her vagina.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 6

Wow, so much ugly and clueless!  There should have been at least six in the bottom group.  On the plus side, I loved Fade's - of all of them, I thought his looked the most amazing when the model walked.  The way the light played across the pattern was mesmerizing.  But Sean's fringe-for-all was more Heidi, and I loved how much fun she had wearing it on the red carpet.  

• Love 5

I think Kini would've won perhaps if he'd done his dress in different colors, something brighter. But if you but an electric blue fringe dress and a fitted black gown in front of Heidi, it's a no-brainer which way she's going to turn.

I also appreciate that Zac criticized the craft-projectness of Amanda's dress. Look, I love the 70s aesthetic as much as anyone (maybe more) but even I recognized that was not appropriate for an Emmys red carpet. Not even in the 70s!

I loved Fade's, and agree with all those who want him to be recognized for his talent by the judges. But seeing as how he's obviously the one this season most skilled with prints, I fully expect his breakout moment to come in the upcoming HP (or whoever sponsors it now) make-your-own-print challenge.

• Love 2

Soooo glad Sean won, I looove that blue fringey dress he made. Kini's was great also. Those 2 were great, I was glad the judges finally got it right this episode. 

Fade's should have been the other one in the top 3. Amanda's stuff always looks like a craft project at summer camp gone awry. I did like the back of her dress, but those beads were ugly. But evidently the judges love her summer camp theme every episode.

Mitchell and Korina whining about Sandyha having extra money was so stupid. Like, maybe if you had been asking people for their money instead of pouting in a corner you'd have more too.

Korina's was so horrific. I'm glad the other 2 went home, but I so wish Korina had. I feel like they only kept Korina after that monstrosity because the producers like all the catty stuff she says in her talking heads... 

• Love 4

Worst.season.ever.

Where did they find this motley crew? How I miss the days of LeAnne, Christian, Chloe, Kara...Oh I could go on..

Aside from 2-3 of them I could eliminate them all lol

• Love 4

I'm assuming Fade will come to the forefront a couple episodes from now.  Loved his dress. 

I thought Sandhya collecting extra money was smart, although the fact that they basically encouraged it was a little weird.  She's turning out to be an interesting character.  I liked her original design concept during casting, then there was the whole running to Tim and whining about being picked on because she didn't get her way during a team challenge.  And now this savvy gameplay.  Plus she wins with looks I don't get while being safe this week with a dress I thought was Top 3 over Amanda's.  I'm fascinated to see where she goes from this.

Double eliminations are so cliche'.  They should have cut the entire bottom 3.  To me it all looked like bad prom wear (or perhaps bridesmaids dresses), and with the extra trip to the store and direct feedback from Heidi they really should have done better.  

Speaking of the extra trip- I didn't like that twist.  I was hoping they'd allow/encourage them to swap fabrics.  Sending them back to Mood because they failed the first time there...although it didn't turn out to help anyone, really, I wasn't a fan of that.

• Love 1

UGH, I don't get the fringe love at all.  Sean's dress looked cheap to me.  I can see the color being appealing though. 

Once again, I loved Fade's dress the most.  It was flowing and beautiful.  I thought, "finally Fade will get some recognition!"  But nope.  I wonder if the grayness was what kept him out of the running?  Still, I thought it had plenty of interest.  More so than the black dresses, which IMO show nothing on camera.

As for Amanda's - add me to the WTF group.  I mean... WTF???  That strip down the middle looked like a beard and drew my eyes to her crotch region.  Not flattering at all, and it looked cheap.  That was godawful.  I won't be unseeing that anytime soon.

• Love 1

I am more and more convinced that the producer's 12 year old daughter is running the show. Exhibits A& B: the camera flashes when Heidi described the challenge and the clap of thunder when Heidi entered the room. Although I must admit, the thunderclap was amusing.

I told myself this was not going to bother me anymore, but seriously - why the EFF would you make a red carpet dress a ONE  day challenge?  If any challenge should be a two-day challenge, certainly it should be the one where Heidi has to wear the winning design in public, in front of tons of photographers.  It's been years since this show has had the kind of designers who rise to the occasion when the pressure is on. This group needed the extra day.

The thing that is so maddening about this show is the producers STILL don't get it that we are watching this show because we want to see awesome, creative, beautiful designs. Not because we enjoy watching the designers crash and burn. Or am I wrong about that? Does this show get better ratings when the fashion sucks?

I liked Sean's gown, although at times the fringe looked a bit coarse and (insert snooty tone) inexpensive in the close ups. And when the model spins in that dress she looks like a giant blue Christmas tree

I'm disappointed in Char. She started the season with such promise, but her last couple of runways were nothing to write home about.

Why would any of the designers even bother making a dress that isn't Heidi's particular brand of sexy? I don't know a lot about Heidi, but I do know that rule #1 is cleavage. And rule #2 is, if no cleavage, then most of her upper chest and shoulders need to be bare. A low back isn't enough to balance out an extremely conservative front. I'm talking to you Kini and Sandhya. Both of them could've benefited tremendously from a brighter color and a low neckline.

I thought Fade's was just "pretty good" this week. I liked the fabric, but I've seen that style many times, so it fell squarely into the "safe" category.  The only think I really didn't like was the way he used the pattern to create a dark band at the hem. It draws the eye in a weird way.

Whoever said Amanda's gown looked like macaroni art was spot on.  Despite that, I did like the idea of Amanda's dress. The reality was a little too lumpy bumpy. But if Amanda sketched it and handed it over to Laura Bennet to actually make it, it would've been a knockout.

I thought Alexander's dress looked weirdly heavy and stiff in the front. It seemed like the wrong choice of fabric.

Here's what I really don't understand… these were the Creative Arts Emmys. Held in August. Did no one think maybe some color, lighter fabrics, or something fun would have been a good idea?

When Project Runway first started, it seemed like the cast was all super talented designers who just hadn't had the right break yet. Now it seems like mediocre designers who never got a break because they're...well... mediocre.

Angela should take comfort in knowing that of the 6 designers eliminated so far this season, she's not in the bottom 3.

Too bad for Angela. Maybe she would've won this with her paper flowers/wedding gown idea.

When Korna bitched about how she would be feeling really good too if she had had the opportunity to spend that much money on new fabric, I wanted to smack her

For some reason, that typo is cracking me up.

Emily's dress was really short. I could hear Michael Kors in my head making comments about the model showing her bits, but since Heidi loves short tight dresses, I thought Emily would be safe. The back was sexy which I guess made up for the lack of cleavage in the front.

Emily's dress was very Heidi, it just wasn't right for this occasion. And Emily's single lapel is what Angela's single lapel should have been.

Edited by sleepyjean
  • Love 2

Shaking my head at Korina. Talk about hearing what you want to hear....when Heidi said what a sad color her first dress was, and that it wasn't even a jewel tone like emerald green, Korina heard "you said you would have loved it if it had been emerald green". That's not what Heidi said. And even if it had been, neither green was emerald green.

I know! She should've been auf'd just for her whining. We're way too far into the tenure of this show to complain about a challenge not being your aesthetic. Girl, bye. I couldn't believe that she used her second chance to pick the same drab color. Even if she were married to the green, she should've picked another shade of green when Heidi said her first fabric choice was sad. If you're going to make a boring ass dress, at least make a well-crafted, boring ass dress. She just gave up.

At least Kristine tried to put something together. Mess that it was. The judges should've kept her and eliminated Korina instead.

Kini's dress was beautiful, but I agree that it should've been a different color. I wasn't really wowed but anything, though. Too many predictable dark colors.

After reviewing the dresses online I finally have it - Emily and Alexander weren't dressing Heidi, they were dressing the Borg Queen.

I love love love Fade's dress - when it moves, with the placement of the stripes, it's almost an illusion, almost Escher like.  Beautiful!  And I love when he and Heidi get their German on, especially over the Korina sad sad fabric.    

• Love 8

I am starting to love Sandhya more with each episode. (I give her a pass on the scene where she complained to Tim about being picked on. I think that was totally instigated by the producers to give Tim an "I am not a bully nor do I condone it!" redemption moment after he showed his nasty side a little too blatantly on UTG.) I thought she was cute when she didn't understand the "Dynasty" criticism of her first dress. And when Heidi emphatically explained that it was NOT a good thing and she wouldn't wear old-fashioned and matronly, complete with acting out the character that should dress like that, Sandhya  did not dissolve into weeping and whining. She looked thoughtful and went back to work. There was a brief glimpse of her a bit later and it looked like she was turning her dress inside out and possibly shortening it (?) In any event, she was visibly trying to make it work, unlike some others.

Then when the extra shopping trip and money were on the table, she figured out the game play move faster than any of them. (I'm starting to think a good percentage of these people are just not very bright) and really made it work for herself. (Shut up, Mitchell. This is a competition, you know? She had no obligation to share the money she collected perfectly fairly by the rules of the game.)

I also thought Mitchell's comment to her on the runway that the "fabric was totally worth it" was meant as a snide comment, implying that her design would have been nothing without the expensive fabric. And while I think he didn't mean it kindly, I think that was precisely the point of her decisions. With five hours left to produce a gown for a demanding client, Sandhya had the good sense to see she needed to make something that was simple to execute well, and relied on the fabric to bring the wow factor, rather than complicated design details she had no time to produce.

Edited by Ketzel
  • Love 7

Who the hell is giving Amanda such high scores?  I thought Zac Posen would've scored her quite low, so the other 3 really liked her shit?  Boo.  Hiss.

I loved Kini and Fade's looks, again. 

My guess is that Heidi's scores had a disproportionate weight in this challenge. Now, why Heidi likes Amanda's bad 70s knock-off is a mystery to me, but apparently she does. (Just not enough to actually, yanno, wear it. Heh.)

• Love 4

In one of the Sandhya talking head interviews, she said that she had spotted the black lacy fabric the first time they went to Mood but that she couldn't afford it.  Sandhya went back to Mood with a purpose, she knew the fabric she wanted and with the opportunity to get unused money from other designers, she knew that she could get it.  Instead of starting over, she got what she wanted in the first place.  I've got no problems with that, none.  

Did Amanda go back to Mood?  I know Kini and Sean didn't, so, it wasn't an advantage to do so in the end, although it did perhaps keep some folks out of the bottom 3.  Sean was right, going back to Mood ate into the time available to actually make the dress.  I think if Mitchell had stuck with his original devil horns and just made the rest of the dress fit well, he would have been safe (cause Alexander's butt cheeks would have been worse).  Korinna's lack of ability to accurately see the color green was sending her to the bottom no matter what this week.  Sandhya and Char saved dresses that weren't working.  The big question mark is Kristine - did she have anyway to save the original idea with the fabric she already had?  Could she have taken that grey and made it not the focus color but the accent color?  We'll never know.  

I just went to Rate the Runway.  The judges said that there were some bad looks this week, more than wound up in the bottom 3.  Gotta agree with them, Emily and Samantha made things that would have put Heidi on a worst dressed list.  Not completely terrible looks, but not red carpet, not even close.  

• Love 1

Korina annoyed me with her crying that she's a great designer and couldn't execute in 5 hours. Nina didn't seem to agree with her critique of the poor execution of a "simple dress." I knew she wouldn't be eliminated though.  

I have a theory that Amanda has the same fate as Kate did. I remember Kate was on top when she returned on PR and the judges seemed to love her, but she was thrown off mid-season. My guess is Amanda will be gone before the finals. 

Still a fan of Fade and love his use of prints. Every week I want to hear a critique. He can't be in the middle forever. 

Poor Kini, always the bridesmaid, never the bride. I knew, though, Sean's was going to be the winner. It just popped.

I wish I knew what those judges were on to consistently praise Amanda. That was another, to me, hideous dress. I agreed with Isaac it looked like a total craft project.

I had no qualms with Sandhya going around and asking for cash. Mitchell was just bitter he didn't think of doing it. None of the designers HAD to give her the money.

As much as I don't like Sandhya and her mindset/attitude/aesthetic overall, I agree that there was absolutely no problem with what she did.

The only tiny negative I can think of (and it's totally on the people who gave her money, not on Sandhya) is that I think it's possible some of them felt guilted into it (because they didn't want to be the mean people who said no on camera). Also, you have to wonder if she told anyone she took money off of that she'd asked other people (or did she approach them all giving the impression they were her only extra money). Not that she did wrong even if she did--it's a game and you can't fault it. It would just be interesting to know if she did, because it would peg her as a bit more ruthless than is obvious.

• Love 3

Mitchell and Korina whining about Sandyha having extra money was so stupid. Like, maybe if you had been asking people for their money instead of pouting in a corner you'd have more too.

Korina's was so horrific. I'm glad the other 2 went home, but I so wish Korina had. I feel like they only kept Korina after that monstrosity because the producers like all the catty stuff she says in her talking heads...

Yeah, but I'm not sure that tracks with the actual talking heads--Mitchell was FAR more catty in his (and has been all along). Korina is kind of passive-aggressive half-bored observations that pick at scabs. Mitchell is full out in your face stabs in the gut.
  • Love 1
The only tiny negative I can think of (and it's totally on the people who gave her money, not on Sandhya) is that I think it's possible some of them felt guilted into it (because they didn't want to be the mean people who said no on camera).

Probably true. Although I think I would've been fine with the contestant who also said "Sorry, it's a competition and I don't feel I should help you." 

• Love 6

I am always confused by these designers who say stuff like, "I don't do red carpet dresses." I mean, maybe you've never had the opportunity but if you wanted to be a successful designer with celebs wearing your clothes, red carpet is like THE thing you should probably excel at since it gets you so much coverage.

• Love 9

The big question mark is Kristine - did she have anyway to save the original idea with the fabric she already had?  Could she have taken that grey and made it not the focus color but the accent color?  We'll never know.

Heidi's primary complaint seemed to be how thin and inexpensive the fabric was as she could read the letters on the dress form through it. Instead of a completely new dress she could have created an underskirt in a darker color to eliminate the transparency and add some color. It likely wouldn't have won but might have moved her into safe territory. 

• Love 3

Amanda must be SO annoyed that Sean won with fringe! It amuses me so much to think of this. Gosh, if only she had added fringe to her dress this time, too. Heh. Imagine that, if you dare.

I think the show should have a theme night that forbids all shades of black. Some of these folks wouldn't know what to do. They'd probably move right over to browns.

When I saw Korina's first creation, I thought she'd made half of a coat.

Upon looking again at Fade's dress, which I still really really love, I have to reluctantly say I think it doesn't have enough red carpet star wattage. As beautiful as she might have looked in it, even Heidi might have faded--sorry!-- into the background when there were more colorful fabrics around her. And our Heidi does NOT wish to fade, thank you very much. He strikes me as a designer who is pretty much nailed down tight to his own aesthetic, which will allow him to create a fabulously cohesive runway show if he gets to do that. But it also means he never quite gets from wonderful to wow on a runway. I really want to see him at least try more color, and I wish the judges would challenge him in that way. Of course, first, they'd have to actually talk to him.

• Love 2

I thought it was interesting because that return trip really did not influence the outcome. For those who decided to start from scratch, with the exception of Sandya, their new designs sucked also plus they were in a time crunch.

None of the returnees made the top 3, but it made a couple of them safe.  Sandhya and Char both moved out of the doom zone.

So, the winning dress featured fringe and Amanda didn't make it?

Her dress reminds me of the winning look in the pet shop challenge several seasons back, where the winner glued aquarium rocks to the front of a shift dress.

• Love 1

Double eliminations are so cliche'.  They should have cut the entire bottom 3.  To me it all looked like bad prom wear (or perhaps bridesmaids dresses), and with the extra trip to the store and direct feedback from Heidi they really should have done better.  

Guess this means we'll be subjected to the "Tim Gunn save" very soon.  Really wish they'd get rid of that gimmick altogether.

• Love 4

Have the designers never watched this show? The challenge of designing something for Heidi to wear dates back to the initial season, so it seems like they would all enter the competition with some mental notes on how to dress a lovely woman with very specific taste (or lack thereof). And yet most of the designers seemed either taken by surprise, paralyzed or both. Once they got over their shock and stasis, though, they designed for a much older, much more staid person than La Klum. The winning look bears a striking resemblance when in motion to the gown-of-golden-hangers look that Heidi 'wears' in the promos for this season.

• Love 1

Have the designers never watched this show? The challenge of designing something for Heidi to wear dates back to the initial season, so it seems like they would all enter the competition with some mental notes on how to dress a lovely woman with very specific taste (or lack thereof). 

Exactly.  Have a "Heidi dress" roughed out in your head and practice a series of basic dress/pants/blouse shapes that you can modify or augment to fit a challenge.  I'm constantly surprised when these designers can't pull at least a general idea out of their heads right away.

• Love 6

I think it's because he looks like a Peanuts character.

This quote was in reference to Alexander and it's the funniest thing I've ever read in my life. Seriously in tears over here.

I have very little to say about the actual designs. Most of them sucked. I liked Kini & Fades off the top of my head.

I have plenty to say about the designers themselves. Most of them suck, too. Cannot stand Amanda. I hate the sound & tone of her voice, how slowly she talks and everything that comes out of her mouth. I especially hate her "aw, shucks ...I wasn't expecting this" routine that she does on the runway. Hate the way she nods along whenever a judge is speaking. Obviously, I also hate her designs because I'm not blind. LMAO at whoever said 'Granny's button drawer' was raided to make her dress. Looks like something Florence Henderson wore on one of the Brady Bunch reunions in the 70s. Or the Variety Hour.

Also not loving Sandhaya. Not at all. I can hardly believe that she's 28, seems mid forties to me. She seems smug and overly pleased with herself. I recognize that she is talented, but I already know that I'll tire of her bright colors. She'll shoe horn them in to every challenge whether they are appropriate or not - because that is her aesthetic/ or because she's one note.

Corina seems like she becomes a bitch when she doesn't get her way. Emily seems like a really nice person so far, as does Char. Kini is great - happy and positive, but it seems natural and not an annoying affectation on him. I love Fade so far - he's adorable & I love his designs, particularly his men's suit transformation. Agree with the other posters who hope he gets some love & recognition soon.

I continue to respect & appreciate Zac Posen. He seems intelligent and puts some thought into what comes out of his mouth. Michael Kors was just a sun tanned bitchy man with no filter who was desperate for a laugh. Zac takes his role seriously & appears to actually want to help the designers. I think his outlook has rubbed off on Nina because she seems more constructive this year.

Edited by wallofsound
  • Love 12

Have the designers never watched this show? The challenge of designing something for Heidi to wear dates back to the initial season, so it seems like they would all enter the competition with some mental notes on how to dress a lovely woman with very specific taste (or lack thereof). And yet most of the designers seemed either taken by surprise, paralyzed or both. Once they got over their shock and stasis, though, they designed for a much older, much more staid person than La Klum. The winning look bears a striking resemblance when in motion to the gown-of-golden-hangers look that Heidi 'wears' in the promos for this season.

It's akin to the dopes who to this day go on Survivor without knowing how to make fire.

• Love 4

YSotlwb.jpg

Millenium,    As I was reading this last couple of posts, I was wondering the same thing!!!!   I will not be able to contain myself if that happens. Have the attendants from the sanitarium waiting at the door, because it will indicate Tim has just gone cray-cray.

"I really paid attention" -- well congraaaaaatulations, Amanda. You get yet another undeserved gold star because YOU were the one who LISTENED, even though your shit is HIDEOUS and looks like a Daffy's markdown. 

My favorite moment was when she was starting to realize that if you've never done it before, it may not be as easy as all that to accomplish couture beading in a couple of hours even if your beads are the size of pigeon eggs.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 7

I felt bad for Kini, 2 times a bridesmaid! 

Not me.  At last he's been in the top.  Poor Fade can't catch a break.

During the part when the judges were having their close up of the garments there was a conversation between Zack and Nina that went something like, "what can we do to bring out the best in them" or something along those lines. I forget what their answer was, but my own answer was "give them more time." This little conversation pissed me off to no end. I wanted to smack the both of them. Like one of the designers said, a red carpet dress takes a lot thought & time. But they only had one day. What the fuck? Judges, want to see better designs, let them have more time to work on them.

I figured out a couple seasons back that the multitude of one-day challenges are a cost-saving device.  And it seemed to occur when the show moved to Lifetime.  C'mon, Lifetime and Bunim/Murray, the franchise has been around several years and even more seasons.  Between that, the copious product placements and the not-terribly-subtle sponsor-endorsed challenges, surely you could loosen your purse-strings just a little for the sake of creativity.

Let me just add my voice to the many folks here aghast at the deification of Amanda (bitch didn't even say "Thank you" for her last win) and the ignoring of Fade.

• Love 6