Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E05: The Klum Of Doom

• Start Topic

Guess I don't like game-playing of this sort. In my opinion, she comes on like an innocent open type of person but I definitely think the wheels are turning in the background for some kind of advantage.

Perhaps that's why she doesn't bother me. I don't think she comes off as innocent or as playing innocent. I did find the running to Tim infantile. I also felt it was a bit scheming, but we've certainly seen worse from contestants. Everything else about her just strikes me as very human. She seems more than capable of giving as much as she gets but overall she appears to get along with most of the designers. I would take anything Hernan said with a very huge grain of salt. I am also one of the few people that liked her first dress.  Amanda is "playing the game" or at least she thinks she is. Part of that is figuring out what the judges like and delivering. Amanda's words of wisdom that she likes to spout off indicate she think she is doing that.

• Love 4

I'm too lazy to comment on all of the looks this week. I will say that I agreed with the top two. My beloved Kini made a beautiful dress that was probably a little too conservative for Heidi. Sean's dress was better than it appeared to be in the initial spoiler photo we saw and seeing his process during the episode I appreciated the work he did. I'm very happy that Sandhya was just safe. There was nothing exciting about that dress and I didn't want her to be rewarded for just using an expensive fabric. It's a real shame to see Mitchell and Kristine go home. I liked him after unconventional materials and I think he would have been one of the designers to really embrace the weirdness. Kristine was just really talented and I'm disappointed Tim didn't use his save. Maybe it was too early. I'm torn on Amanda. On the one hand, it's better than most of her looks. On the other hand, if you get up close it does look cheap.

I thought Sean's dress was the best one, next to Kini's, which was totally not for Heidi, but as picklesprite said a week ago appropos of another matter, saying Sean's dress was the best one is damning with faint praise. I didn't think it was fashion forward or daring at all. It looked like a flapper costume I had when I used to trick or treat; the only thing missing was the feather headband and long rope of pearls. The only thing I really liked was the colour, which by the way is a colour that goes in and out of style every other season, much like Nina's hair, not that she's bothering to change that either. Ever.

Re: Sandhya and the money, and pretty much everything else:

The talk with Tim stank of producer manipulation to me so I was okay with it. She doesn't seem like much of a whiner to me so they probably saw her getting beaten down just a little and said, girl, you should talk to Tim. He's a bullying expert after his stellar behaviour on Under the Gunn.

What she did with the money was totally legal, but should not have been allowed in the first place. She did nothing wrong cause Tim said, if you're not going, you can give your cash to another designer and she swooped in to ask everyone for theirs. However, they should have had their own $100 and that's it. If someone wasn't going, they forfeited the cash and shouldn't have been able to give it away. By being able to buy $400 worth of fabric, it definitely put her in a better position than the others who did only have their $100.

I'll even go so far as to say, as Emily did, if they couldn't choose right the first time, they shouldn't have had a second chance. Not that it really helped anyone, but it might have sent Korina home, along with Kristine and Mitchell, which would have been awesome.

Edited by PepperMonkey
  • Love 4

The sad thing is you could be talking about any 2 out of the bottom 3 when you say that.    But I place the majority of the blame on the show for these ridiculous one day challenges, by the time they came back from mood they had like 4 hours to try to put together the sort of dress it sounds like it takes weeks to make.  

LOL! I almost said all 3, but I couldn't remember if Kristine's dress was also sewn by monkeys too. I remembered them hating it, but wasn't sure about the sewing. The other two, knew the monkeys couldn't use a sewing machine with those two. 

• Love 1

What I don't understand is ----

This is season 13!  You should know by now that there's probably going to be a red carpet challenge, so be prepared!

Know which fabrics you can work with.  Practice with new fabrics.    Have a great design in your back pocket.

Why are they so unprepared?

• Love 8

What I don't understand is ----

This is season 13!  You should know by now that there's probably going to be a red carpet challenge, so be prepared!

Know which fabrics you can work with.  Practice with new fabrics.    Have a great design in your back pocket.

Why are they so unprepared?

No kidding.  I can't sew and don't know anything about designing, but after watching PR for so many years, I think even I could figure out a "safe" runway look for most of the challenges!

• Love 3

Alexander keeps winning fan favourite? Who is watching this crap besides us cause I know none of us are voting for him...

Sometimes contestants on reality shows have phone banks of friends and family...

• Love 2

I had a dream last night that my cable company was introducing a new DVR system. I don't remember the particulars but it got me thinking about how I might edit my shows to remove all the "drama" footage from each episode of Project Runway, as well as the sponsor-mentions, the introductions of the panel and regurgitation of the challenge and its rules. No more salon. Ahh. There.  Now I extend all the runway shots so that an actual good look at the garment is possible, and add close-up stills of the details and workmanship.

Then I would sit down and enjoy the remaining hour or two of workroom brainstorming, runway and panel commentary.

• Love 4

Speaking of the extra trip- I didn't like that twist.  I was hoping they'd allow/encourage them to swap fabrics.  Sending them back to Mood because they failed the first time there...although it didn't turn out to help anyone, really, I wasn't a fan of that.

I was hoping they'd have a bunch of random bolts of fabric from which to choose -- this was obviously a last-minute change when Heidi didn't like anything the designers were producing.  I wonder if they plan ahead for that possibility? 

I totally forgot about my favorite part of the episode- when Heidi walked into the workroom and mentioned how they had to do well because they'd be dressing her, it seemed like the camera zoomed out on what was a terribly busy outfit (maybe fashionable, but not great to my untrained eye).  It felt like a subtle diss of her taste, and I enjoyed that. 

I was drinking, though, so I may have made that up entirely.

Nope, you didn't -- it looked very '80s to me, the way the pants pooled around the ankle and the funky print.

• Love 1

Speaking of Heidi's workroom ensemble…. wasn't that what she was wearing when she told a designer she didn't want to look like she was going on a cruise. I thought, "..because you already have THAT outfit for that".

there are very few people anymore, and almost no one in Hollywood that would wear authentic animal skin.  And certainly not on TV.  Thats just begging for a protest.

Actually, most Americans wear authentic animal skin, albeit with the fur removed - it's called leather.  The larger point certainly holds, however, that Korina should have had a clue that wearing snake skin (like fur) on the red carpet would be asking for trouble.  I have a vague recollection that for its first season or first few seasons, PR actually didn't allow the designers to buy any products made from animals, so no real leather or fur.  Obviously that changed at some point quite a few seasons ago.  Anyone else remember that?

As for Amanda suddenly being praised for her talent after not even winning a challenge in her previous appearance, I actually think that's consistent with one of PR's favorite narratives about how much the contestants "grow as a designer" from their experiences on the show.  And Amanda is feeding them that narrative (either on her own initiative or with producer manipulation) in both her talking heads and on the runway when interacting with the judges.  It's a smart approach, although I tend to agree that they will treat her like Kate on her second season and talk her up for a while before suddenly aufing her in favor of the new blood.  I actually like Amanda's designs so far, and I do think she seems more certain of her point of view than she did in her previous stint on the show - it makes sense to me that would be part of the development of a young designer.

I'm liking Sandhya.  I haven't always liked her designs, but she does seem to be very creative and (at least) skilled enough to execute reasonably well in the limited time frame.  She clearly has a unique point of view and a different set of cultural references than most of the designers, so I'm interested to see what she comes up with each week.  And she's a quick thinker - as others have pointed out, she took advantage of Heidi's new set of rules with the second trip to Mood and the chance to accumulate extra money very, very quickly.  She and Char were able to use that opportunity to move from "in trouble" to "safe" while the bottom three remained bottom three, which says something about who has the skill and the flexibility to make adjustments in mid-challenge and "make it work."  My guess (and I could certainly be wrong) is that most of the designers like Sandhya just fine and Hernan was in the minority in having an issue with her.  And, if you're friendly with her and not going to use the money yourself, why not help her out and set up the possibility of future reciprocation in terms of sharing materials or an advantage on a challenge?

• Love 5
I'll even go so far as to say, as Emily did, if they couldn't choose right the first time, they shouldn't have had a second chance.

I wouldn't give Emily that much credit. She asked Sandhya to bring her back something from Mood until Tim told her she couldn't do that. The choice was keep on sewing or go to Mood. Emily wanted to have her cake and eat it too. Her griping sounded more like sour grapes to me.

• Love 4

I thought Emily's dress made her model look like a tacky cocktail waitress. 

You'd think they'd put Fade in the top or bottom more often so Heidi would be able to talk to him in German. I agree that the scene in the workroom was adorable, especially Fade's reactions. I didn't like his dress but I'm not a fan of mullet dresses. High/low is bad enough but when you have a short dress with an outer layer of fabric like that it just looks like you made your dress a cape.

I think if Mitchell had stuck with his original devil horns and just made the rest of the dress fit well, he would have been safe (cause Alexander's butt cheeks would have been worse).

Agreed. It would have been costume-y. A little Cruella de Vil. But better than Alexander's weird bulky mess and Emily's wonky cocktail dress.

Also not loving Sandhaya. Not at all. I can hardly believe that she's 28, seems mid forties to me. She seems smug and overly pleased with herself. I recognize that she is talented, but I already know that I'll tire of her bright colors.

I don't think she's talented and I think all the undeserved praise from the judges is going to her head.

I continue to respect & appreciate Zac Posen. He seems intelligent and puts some thought into what comes out of his mouth. Michael Kors was just a sun tanned bitchy man with no filter who was desperate for a laugh. Zac takes his role seriously & appears to actually want to help the designers.

I love Zac. I don't like all of his actual designs but as this show loses credibility he brings a sense of class and expertise that Kors never did.

• Love 3

Actually, most Americans wear authentic animal skin, albeit with the fur removed - it's called leather.  The larger point certainly holds, however, that Korina should have had a clue that wearing snake skin (like fur) on the red carpet would be asking for trouble.  I have a vague recollection that for its first season or first few seasons, PR actually didn't allow the designers to buy any products made from animals, so no real leather or fur.  Obviously that changed at some point quite a few seasons ago.  Anyone else remember that?

One of the designers wanted to reference 20s-30s era monkey fur trim and used human hair instead to get around the ban.

http://shard2.1stdibs.us.com/archivesE/jewelry/upload/386/163/386_1361847319_2.jpg

http://www.bravotv.com/project-runway/blogs/michael-kors/a-hairy-decision

I

I love Zac. I don't like all of his actual designs but as this show loses credibility he brings a sense of class and expertise that Kors never did.

I used to think so but his joyous raising of the arms in an attempt to mock the "super vagina" was so infantile I lost a lot of respect for him. Hello 2 Broke Girls, just saying the word vagina is not inherently hilarious.

• Love 2

To paraphrase what Alexander said, you can't really teach taste, and it was telling to me that even the shoes Mitchell chose were tacky.

Ah yes! That was the comment I couldn't remember. Funny how he could say that and then make such a terrible dress himself.

I disagree with Heidi that red dresses look great on the red carpet. See, I wouldn't wear a red dress to a red carpet event because I wouldn't want to blend in with the carpet. I'm rarely wow'ed by red dresses on the red carpet, so she can stuff it.

Maybe she's remembering the red dress that she wore. I don't mind red gowns because I'm not there and there are plenty of photos and footage from the event where you don't see the gown and the carpet together. I do remember Heidi wearing a red gown that got a lot of buzz. I think it had an off the shoulder collar similar to what Alexander was trying to do with his black and white dress but you know, a lot better. I could see her thinking red was a good color after getting on a lot of best dressed lists.

I remember Samantha. I just think the show doesn't. I remember her all black first challenge look. I think it was a jumpsuit. Since then I think she's mainly made more black clothes. She doesn't seem to be involved in any drama. She's not flamboyant or loud. She doesn't cry. And her clothes are usually safe but not exceptional. So the show ignores her. Another outfit I remember liking was her unconventional materials outfit where she used the CD's to make a fish scale pattern for the top and I think cassette tape to make a flowy skirt.

That speaks more about Heidi's hideous taste than anything else. They all had absolute shit designs and yet they thought they were perfect for Heidi. How poorly does she dress that few of them could actually design something she would wear?

Oh my God, I laughed so hard at this. Seriously though, I don't get her at all. Sometimes she's perfectly aware of when something is hideous. And other times she praises crazy looking designs. She has an amazing body but some of the things she dresses it in do not flatter her at all. 

The one day challenges make me crazy. I can make a dress in a day. A dress. Not an amazing dress. But a dress. If you want quality you need to give them time. 

When you are designing for a specific client, you get to meet with them and discuss things like materials and cut before you actually start constructing the dress.

Am I imagining this or didn't they used to do that? Either Heidi/the client would say something to them before they started designing or they'd meet with her before they went shopping at Mood.

Once Heidi mentioned a more emerald green would be better, Karina had no excuse for choosing that second fabric. Is she colorblind? Does she not know what emerald is? Does she need to review her box of Crayolas?

I was waiting for her to call out Mitchell since they showed a clip where she was buying her fabric and said something to the effect of Heidi told me she liked emerald green. This is emerald green, right? And he nodded.

Oooo… the dress is getting torn apart on E!'s Fashion Police right now.

I can't watch that show. They're all idiots who spew vile nonsense and have no sense of taste themselves.

I think the results of the extra money/trip speak for themselves: an extra day is worth a lot more than an extra hundred bucks.  Even an extra 500 bucks like Sandhya got.  I wanted them to say "we're giving you an extra day" so bad.

Since they love gimmicks, I wonder if they'd be willing to go, you have 300 dollars for this challenge. For every $100 you don't spend and return to us you get an extra day to work. I'd be willing to bet that aside from Kini, everyone would take them up on the offer. How long have we been complaining about one day challenges? Forget this stupid fan voting thing. If they really cared what we thought they'd have more two and three day challenges.

• Love 1

Interesting!  Hernan basically alluded to the same thing so you may be seeing something that the other designers saw.  And I'm starting to see what you're talking about - like when she basically flipped Hernan off and told him in a very strong tone not to talk to her again like that - personally, I'm fine with that, I'm totally down for a fellow woman not wanting to be called a bitch, even if its a joking reference (personally, I'm totally fine with a gay guy calling me a bitch, but thats just me).  But the way she did it seemed so out of line with this the either the persona that production is giving her or she has been putting out there.  I'm not sure if I should feel its subterfuge, or just the iron fist in the velvet glove.

Char, one of the few designers I like, said (in so many words) "Don't hate the player, hate the game."

Maybe Sandhya is/was offputting to Hernan, but he's not exactly a sympathetic character either. I was glad he was one of the earliest contestants to go home.

His ego is much bigger than his talent.

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 4
I was waiting for her to call out Mitchell since they showed a clip where she was buying her fabric and said something to the effect of Heidi told me she liked emerald green. This is emerald green, right? And he nodded.

I wonder if it looked more like emerald green under the lights at Mood.

I wonder if it looked more like emerald green under the lights at Mood.

The place's SOLE business is selling fabrics.  If they had lights which misrepresented a color I think that would have been taken care of long past.

• Love 3

I dunno, I don't have good feelings about Sandhya but I am even more pissed at the producers (who I am convinced decide all the top and bottom designers and well as winners and losers - not the judges) who came up with the brilliant idea to let them go back to Mood.  Even worse was the throw away line of Tim's saying they could use the non-Mood designers' money.  What?  Maybe they expected a musical chairs scenario where the Mood designers would run around trying to battle each other for the money.  What Draaaama!  I think, after re-watching the Heidi critique of the first designs, that the producers were trying to save Sandhya.  Heidi even told her something in her critique like "I don't even know how to fix it".  The other designs were somewhat fixable (except for the green monstrosity) but Sandhya's was bad any way you looked at it.  She didn't seem to get the challenge and has no idea what red carpet dresses should look like.  Her high price material did nothing for me, especially with the yellow background.  It looked so matronly, like something Betty White would wear.  I guess I don't get the Sandhya love.   I haven't liked one thing she has designed. .  If I think about the designs of her dresses, they are simple sheath-like dresses, with just the colors and some detailing changes.

In the end, I guess I don't really have a favorite.  None of them strike me as root-able, creative designers.  I will wait for the days when Sandhya and Amanda get auffed.  Neither deserve 2 wins after only 5 episodes.   That said,  I watch this with my mom and we still get a kick out of it but we are beyond sick of the producer shenanigans.  Even so, we will watch till the end no matter how frustrating it can be.

• Love 4

I guess I don't get the Sandhya love.   I haven't liked one thing she has designed. .  If I think about the designs of her dresses, they are simple sheath-like dresses, with just the colors and some detailing changes.

I don't get it either. Minus the stupid moustaches, the outfit she made for the suit challenge was the only thing with any real creativity to it. And I didn't even really like that. Her first outfit was the most wearable and that's only because it's a normal dress with ugly zippers at the shoulders. At least Amanda does... whatever it is that Amanda does.

• Love 3

I dunno, I don't have good feelings about Sandhya but I am even more pissed at the producers (who I am convinced decide all the top and bottom designers and well as winners and losers - not the judges) who came up with the brilliant idea to let them go back to Mood.  Even worse was the throw away line of Tim's saying they could use the non-Mood designers' money.  What?  Maybe they expected a musical chairs scenario where the Mood designers would run around trying to battle each other for the money.  What Draaaama!

I didn't even hear the thing about the money. Guess I wasn't paying attention at that moment. Was she the only one who actively asked for other people's money?

I didn't even hear the thing about the money. Guess I wasn't paying attention at that moment. Was she the only one who actively asked for other people's money?

As far as we could see, yes, she was the only one shown asking other designers for their spare money.  And she was just so fast about it, it was like before the other designers could even think about petitioning the designers for extra money she had pretty much gotten all the spare money to be had.  

But Tim didn't make much of it when he said it, it was almost an aside.  It was like "YOU ALL CAN GO BACK TO MOOD FOR MORE FABRIC, and if you can also get money from designers who choose not to go to mood."  I would have thought if it was a move designed to create drama, they would have had Tim make a big deal of the fact that you could get the other designers money, because I certainly think Mitchell and Korina and Shandaya trying to get the same limited amount of money from other designers would have been very dramatic.

• Love 1

Am I imagining this or didn't they used to do that? Either Heidi/the client would say something to them before they started designing or they'd meet with her before they went shopping at Mood.

I think that type of "consultation" was replaced by the photo book of Heidi's past red-carpet dresses.  What she likes and what she wears are sometimes very different, but it's the whole "A picture is worth a thousand words" thing.  Those dresses said everything necessary. 

A woman can tell you she wants sophisticated, fashion forward, elegant, etc, but when all she wears is tight, sparkly pole-dance wear, you give her that.  *LOL*

• Love 3

I think that type of "consultation" was replaced by the photo book of Heidi's past red-carpet dresses.  What she likes and what she wears are sometimes very different, but it's the whole "A picture is worth a thousand words" thing.  Those dresses said everything necessary. 

A woman can tell you she wants sophisticated, fashion forward, elegant, etc, but when all she wears is tight, sparkly pole-dance wear, you give her that.  *LOL*

awww, thats our Heidi :)

• Love 4

I think that type of "consultation" was replaced by the photo book of Heidi's past red-carpet dresses.  What she likes and what she wears are sometimes very different, but it's the whole "A picture is worth a thousand words" thing.  Those dresses said everything necessary.

Exactly, especially since it would have taken forever for her to meet individually with each of the designers.  But then it seems like the majority of these crop of designers are pretty clueless.  In the past there has always been at least one designer that specializes in gowns of some sort .  I think that this is the first time I've seen so many of them completely thrown by the idea of designing a gown, let alone one for Heidi.

• Love 1

Since I don't have the desire or patience to go back and view Amanda's looks from past challenges, I'm throwing this question to the group: is it just me, or did the bodice of Amanda's dress completely flatten her model's chest? That bothered me a lot.

5 of 12 designers, I believe, went back to Mood.  That means 7 stayed.  Sandhya spend something over 400 dollars.  Given that they each got 100 dollars, she got money from at least 4 other designers.  So three designers could have given money to the others, maybe.

That means Sandhya had total 750 dollars, 3 times the budget they were assigned at the beginning!

• Love 1

NO, NO, NO on Sean's dress.  Yes, it had movement, but so do my bowels, and I'm not putting them on the runway.  I just got home from the car wash and right there, I saw Heidi twirling around, buffing the dirt off my car.  That wasn't a dress, it was a car wash brush. 

• Love 3

Since I don't have the desire or patience to go back and view Amanda's looks from past challenges, I'm throwing this question to the group: is it just me, or did the bodice of Amanda's dress completely flatten her model's chest? That bothered me a lot.

It's hard to tell on some (most) of the models, but some of the photos I've seen of Heidi suggest she does not have a problem with that.

I'm on the world's most messed up sleep schedule and rewatched the end of the show this morning at like 3 am. On second watch, it became even more apparent to me why Fade didn't even get top 3. I'm not s huge Fade fan, I don't dislike him, just not overly in love with him, either. When I saw it go down the runway a second time, it looked chintzy and not exactly a red carpet event dress. The material looked like it was better suited for a shirt, not a gown, and would have been a better suited for a random event for a TV show or fundraiser. Honestly, I could see Heidi wearing it while shopping with her friends, the fabric and pattern were just not red carpet event worthy. 

I liked Fade look, but the material for the train was way too thin.  You could see through it.  It needed to be lined or simply made from thicker material.  On the main dress, since the material was layered, it was harder to tell how inappropriate the fabric was. It seemed like a lot of the designers had cheap looking fabric.  I guess $250 doesn't go very far at Mood.

It made her model's chest look damn near non-existent and her hips look really wide.  It was a seriously unflattering dress.  

Finally, a winner I actually agree with. I'll also be fine with Fade or Kini winning.

And once again, Amanda not only skates by with a mediocre design, she gets over-praised as usual. I'd like to see Heidi go to the Emmy's in a sequinned Native American bib dress. At least there isn't a bunch of crap hanging off it like her last four designs. Talk about Gretchen 2.0. There's something about Amanda's face and her overreactions that just grates me.

• Love 2
5 of 12 designers, I believe, went back to Mood.  That means 7 stayed.  Sandhya spend something over 400 dollars.  Given that they each got 100 dollars, she got money from at least 4 other designers.  So three designers could have given money to the others, maybe.

That means Sandhya had total 750 dollars, 3 times the budget they were assigned at the beginning!

It was the other way around - five of the designers stayed in the workroom and seven of them went to Mood. During one of the talking heads, one of the female designers (I think It was Korina) said that seven designers went to Mood and that it meant seven designers felt they had made mistakes (or something like that). Sandhya spent over $400 so she got money from at least four of the five designers who stayed behind. That leaves $100 from one other designer possibly going to someone else.

It was the other way around - five of the designers stayed in the workroom and seven of them went to Mood. During one of the talking heads, one of the female designers (I think It was Korina) said that seven designers went to Mood and that it meant seven designers felt they had made mistakes (or something like that). Sandhya spent over $400 so she got money from at least four of the five designers who stayed behind. That leaves $100 from one other designer possibly going to someone else.

Whoops!  I remembered the number 7 had been spoken but I couldn't remember if it was people who stayed or went.  I went down the list and I felt like Mitchell, Char, Korina, Kristine, and Sandhya were the only ones who went to Mood, so I guessed it was the former.  My mistake!

I felt like Mitchell, Char, Korina, Kristine, and Sandhya were the only ones who went to Mood

I think Samantha and Fade only went back to capitalize on the extra cash and get extra of what they'd already bought. They were both safe and didn't provide any soundbytes, so they were easily missed at Mood.

So you know how, oftentimes, when you are watching a show, and like a character comes onscreen and immediately you think, "OMG, I LOVVVVVE that outfit!

Yeah well I have NEVER, not once in umpteen years thought that about Heidi.

Edited to say that, come to think of it - I don't know if I've thought that since Marlo Thomas, or Lisa Bonet.

Edited by Gumby
  • Love 1

The thing is, when she's not stupefying in her choices - she's BORING. Which I think is really anti-fashionshowish. How can she have all this access to clothes and come up with something that - to quote the judges, "I've seen before".

Edited by Gumby
  • Love 1

I think Heidi's problem with clothes is the basic celebrity problem. They can't re-wear anything or they get slammed, they can't keep wearing different versions of the same thing or they get slammed, & if they happen to be a top model, they've pretty much worn every version of everything by every designer already anyway. Heidi keeps going for the wacky because everything else is "been there, done that, wore the tee shirt a billion times" for her.

• Love 2

I would never dress like Heidi but somehow I'm OK with what she wears.  She is a beautiful woman who doesn't take herself too seriously and knows what she likes and doesn't like. I would take her over these stars who are so insecure someone has to dress them to go to the market. 

• Love 2