Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 39 (2022-2023)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I did get the ts's of duffel (which I'm keeping even though the judges ended up giving her denim), Minnehaha, and their pregnancies.

For FJ, I started with hockey puck because they did do something like that quite a few years ago, went to golf balls, then to soccer ball and I knew that was right.  I could picture the ball and it was the most likely sport to be watched by 'the world'.

Edited by Trey
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

Not getting "The Scarlet Letter" (when they even tell you there's a color in the title) is just criminal! Don't we all have "TSL" (and "Moby Dick") memorized (from J! alone)?

Edited by illdoc
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, illdoc said:

Not getting "The Scarlet Letter" (when they even tell you there's a color in the title) is just criminal!

And something on her chest! and Pearl too! FJ was an instaget for me, so insta I thought it was really too easy for FJ, but I guess not.

Also got the pregnancies, galleon (though I thought Ken said Galley, the archive says galleon?), and Minnehaha

• Like 1

What was the question in DJ that resulted in the correct response, "cabbage"? I can't remember the wording but it was so obvious the response should be cabbage, which David answered correctly. I couldn't believe such an easy question was in DJ. The phone rang so I missed everything after that.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, illdoc said:

Not getting "The Scarlet Letter" (when they even tell you there's a color in the title) is just criminal!

I totally missed the theme! "Reading Rainbow" just made me think of LeVar Burton.

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 5
7 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

What was the question in DJ that resulted in the correct response, "cabbage"? I can't remember the wording but it was so obvious the response should be cabbage, which David answered correctly. I couldn't believe such an easy question was in DJ.

It was the $200 clue in There's a Price on My Head:  About $2.50: A head of this, & you'll need a few heads to make a decent batch of sauerkraut

1 hour ago, dgpolo said:

And something on her chest! and Pearl too!

I've never read it or seen the film, so the kid's name didn't do anything for me, but between a mother being feared because of "something on [her] bosom" and the category letting us know there would be a color in the title, I found that too easy to be a DD in DJ.

• Like 3
43 minutes ago, dcalley said:

I totally missed the theme! "Reading Rainbow" just made me think of LeVar Burton.

Same here! I totally did not clue in (even retrospectively) that there would be colours in the titles.

• Like 3

The category is the only reason I got Orange is the New Black.  (I've never seen the TV show [and didn't know it was based on a book], but have heard about its basic premise, so inmate + color in the title led me to it.)

• Like 2
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Bastet said:

I've never read it or seen the film, so the kid's name didn't do anything for me, but between a mother being feared because of "something on [her] bosom" and the category letting us know there would be a color in the title, I found that too easy to be a DD in DJ.

I’ve never seen or read it either, but am familiar with the plot, of course, so I’m sure I would have gotten it IF I knew the category. But I missed that part, so I was left trying to figure out what could be so scary on Mommy’s chest. A spider? A nipple? (Bad breastfeeding experience?) Yeah, it was easy, but yeah, I tanked it, too.

And I was completely flummoxed by FJ. This is has not been a good FJ week for me. (1/4 so far)

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

Re: Galley vs Galleon (via wikidiff): 

In context|nautical|lang=en terms the difference between galleon and galley

is that galleon is (nautical) a large, three masted, square rigged sailing ship with at least two decks while galley is (nautical) the cookroom or kitchen and cooking apparatus of a vessel or aircraft; sometimes on merchant vessels called the caboose.

As nouns the difference between galleon and galley

is that galleon is (nautical) a large, three masted, square rigged sailing ship with at least two decks while galley is (nautical) a long, slender ship propelled primarily by oars, whether having masts and sails or not; usually referring to rowed warships used in the mediterranean from the 16th century until the modern era.

I said "Galley" and (based on the definition above) the clue mentioned oars, so I believe galley is correct. BTW, j-archive currently has "galley" as the answer.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
14 hours ago, Trey said:

For FJ, I started with hockey puck because they did do something like that quite a few years ago, went to golf balls, then to soccer ball and I knew that was right. 

I started with subtitles, discarded that and moved on to hockey pucks.  I made it to soccer balls just as the music ended and I wouldn't have had time to write it down so I don't count that as a correct FJ for me.  It really shouldn't have taken that long since I'm a huge fan of international soccer but I didn't watch it until 1998 - maybe that was messing me up.

I was really hoping David would be gone but after he hit that DD in DJ, I figured I was stuck with him.  He's obviously a fine person but something about him bugs.  Maybe just the swaying.

• Like 2
  • Love 3

I got FJ based on the fact that it was a world cup year and it was the first I could remember watching, although I did say football as it will always be football to me & to the rest of the world.

I did think I was wrong as it seemed so simple to me.

Edited by Welshman in Ca
  • Like 1
  • Love 2
17 hours ago, illdoc said:

Not getting "The Scarlet Letter" (when they even tell you there's a color in the title) is just criminal! Don't we all have "TSL" (and "Moby Dick") memorized (from J! alone)?

Lock me up! 😄 I read it, I probably even wrote a paper on it in college. But I really only remember the first part of the book, and the frightening bosom threw  me.

16 hours ago, dcalley said:

I thought "whoa, are they throwing some shade?" 🤣

I didn't do particularly well, and no FJ. Started off with a great couple of weeks, and now not so great. Oh well, that's the it goes. It's still fun.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I was really hoping David would be gone but after he hit that DD in DJ, I figured I was stuck with him.  He's obviously a fine person but something about him bugs.  Maybe just the swaying.

It's interesting how some of us really like a champion & want him to keep winning (Ryan is one of them who comes to mind) and then there's the champion that some of us are hoping isn't successful this time around. I think it usually comes down to mannerisms (or something like that). Looking humble is helpful. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

He's obviously a fine person but something about him bugs.  Maybe just the swaying.

I was thinking, if I have to stand (or walk) for a long time my lower back starts to really ache, I think the swaying might help with that? But David seems pretty young, not sure he'd have the same problems I have.

54 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I thought "whoa, are they throwing some shade?" 🤣

I had that thought for a split second also but first clue got me to colors.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, dgpolo said:

I was thinking, if I have to stand (or walk) for a long time my lower back starts to really ache, I think the swaying might help with that? But David seems pretty young, not sure he'd have the same problems I have.

I'm generally willing to cut contestants a break for that very reason.  Hell, for all I know, I swayed like crazy when I was on because I have to keep switching my weight from one foot to the other.  Usually it doesn't bother me, so I'm not really sure why David bugs.  Idk, maybe I'm just tired of runaway games, even though one of his wasn't.  It's definitely just a me problem since he's not awful (like the puppy abandoner) or rude or over the top or any of the usual reasons.  I don't wish him ill, exactly, just to not be on my tv screen.

4 hours ago, Welshman in Ca said:

I did think I was wrong as it seemed so simple to me.

Maybe that's why it took so long to occur to me.

• Like 3
19 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

I think the Ryan referred to is Ryan from NJ whose little boy made him a necklace or bracelet as a good luck charm.

Yes. Whenever he did something outstanding, he'd look down and shake his head in disbelief. I just wanted him to win forever.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

A puppy abandoner? Who was *that*??? 

From the JBoard transcript from Jan 30, 2018:

Alex: Ryan Fenster is our champion. He's from SeaTac, Washington. On my bucket list, and I have yet to do it, is a visit to the Yucatan. Which you did and you climbed some of the pyramids there.

Ryan: I did, actually. I went down--I think it was back in 2015--with a group of friends. They had a place there. And I got to climb the pyramid--and I'm sure I'm butchering the pronunciation--Ixmoja, which was pretty much like half a football field straight up this---

Alex: Wow.

Ryan: And when we got to the top, there was a little puppy, like a mutt, who had somehow climbed his way up there, and he was just chillin'. So we hung out with this dog on top of the pyramid in the middle of the jungle.

Alex: And you left him there. You didn't bring him down.

Ryan: He seemed happy.

[Laughter]

Alex: Okay. Now I know what kind of guy you are.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 3
  • Fire 1
  • Love 1

I am so glad they now put the FJ category on screen.  I was initially so confused how I was supposed to figure that out until I saw the category!  Once I knew I was looking for an author, that helped tremendously, and I got it!

The only TS I got were pinwheels and Oscar Isaac.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Watched J! - live - for the first time in a long time. I'm so happy that Ken is quick to respond and doesn't take  e x t r a   l o n g  t o   r e s p o n d. That is all.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

Thanks @ams1001 for explaining Ryan Fenster so I don't have to. He's The Puppy Killer in my lexicon.

David deserves Lilly's Two Thumbs Up Best Dressed Contestant EVER for his gorgeous tie today. So handsome. And I guess now I wave goodbye to you. It was fun watching you.

bye.gif.8a6d3dacb685ae57ac5d133eb0077a4f.gif

Edited by saber5055
  • Like 7
  • Love 2

The only TS I got was celeriac. For the Popes clue, once the Medici were ruled incorrect, I thought “The other ones” but Borgia just didn’t come to me.

For FJ I thought of John Le Carre first, then realized the letter F in the clue was there for a reason, and came up with the right answer.

Cris was impressive; I like big bettors on DD’s. But I hope he doesn’t revive the board jumping strategy.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, ams1001 said:

From the JBoard transcript from Jan 30, 2018:

Alex: Ryan Fenster is our champion. He's from SeaTac, Washington. On my bucket list, and I have yet to do it, is a visit to the Yucatan. Which you did and you climbed some of the pyramids there.

Ryan: I did, actually. I went down--I think it was back in 2015--with a group of friends. They had a place there. And I got to climb the pyramid--and I'm sure I'm butchering the pronunciation--Ixmoja, which was pretty much like half a football field straight up this---

Alex: Wow.

Ryan: And when we got to the top, there was a little puppy, like a mutt, who had somehow climbed his way up there, and he was just chillin'. So we hung out with this dog on top of the pyramid in the middle of the jungle.

Alex: And you left him there. You didn't bring him down.

Ryan: He seemed happy.

[Laughter]

Alex: Okay. Now I know what kind of guy you are.

Meanwhile, in an alternate universe... Ryan and friends struggle to carry a wiggly puppy down the stairs as the park ranger comes out of his station at the top of the pyramid shaking his fist in the air.  "What are you doing with my dog?  Idiot tourists!"

• Like 1
  • LOL 5

Well...that was interesting. Does anyone think David just wanted to go home? His opponents were very good, but he was mighty quiet for most of the game. Glad I wasn't playing. I said David Cornwall (LeCarre's real name), totally oblivious to the F needed. Sometimes I'm in my own little world. But then, the new champ said Orwell 😄.

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Like 3
  • LOL 1

Cris looks familiar to me, but given his location and profession there's no reason for me to have ever met him, so he must remind me of someone and I can't figure out who.  Oh, well - I have at least one more game to see if it comes to me.

The pinwheel TS surprised me a bit; I thought maybe that was a regional term and those sandwiches are called different things in different areas, but a quick internet search during the commercial break didn't indicate that's the case.

I ran sports and sandwiches (and am now craving a banh mi) and got all but one in supernatural and over, but I missed three in Popes and two in state stuff, so I was off to a bit of a slow start.

I stayed pretty "meh" in DJ; I only ran steel.  I got all but one in bodies of water and consonants and only missed two each in beg and borrow, but Jennifer Lopez was the only one I knew in credits.  Two of them - Sebastian Stan and Oscar Isaac - I've never even heard of.  With every year that passes, I get worse at pop culture categories.

FJ was sort of an insta-guess for me -- I quickly thought "the guy who wrote James Bond?" and figured that was probably right, but it took me a moment to remember his name.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

As soon as FJ hit the screen, the husband called out “James Bond!”

Me (with side eye): “James Bond is not an author.”

Husband: “Oh- Ian Fleming!”

I’m quite sure I would have arrived at the correct answer if given half. a. second.  to consider the clue, but I can’t claim it, and so I grumpily end the week at 1/5. With protest.

• Applause 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

I’m quite sure I would have arrived at the correct answer if given half. a. second.  to consider the clue, but I can’t claim it, and so I grumpily end the week at 1/5. With protest.

This makes me very glad that Stella the cat just curls up in my lap and doesn't care to watch the show, much less play along.

For me, pinwheel was easy because i JUSt had eaten four of 'em. Turkey, bacon, & cheddar. Yummmm.

• Like 5
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

For the Popes clue, once the Medici were ruled incorrect, I thought “The other ones” but Borgia just didn’t come to me.

Luckily Borgia did come to me but it was the same thinking as yours; if it isn't de Medici it's Borgia, and vice versa.

So, my ts's were Borgia, Brad Pitt, and celariac.

Instaget FJ.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

I also thought LeCarre and then realized F=Fleming, Ian Fleming.

James Bond was an author; Fleming named the character after him because he liked the name.

Thanks to the ridiculously campy and ahistoric Borgias, in which Jeremy Irons left no scenery unchewed, I knew Alexander VI's family name.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
16 hours ago, Browncoat said:

The only TS I got were pinwheels and Oscar Isaac.

I got pinwheels right away - though I use "roll-ups." I was yelling at the contestants - "Come ON, PINWHEELS!"

14 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

For FJ I thought of John Le Carre first, then realized the letter F in the clue was there for a reason, and came up with the right answer.

It never occurred to me until now that the F stood for Fleming, but I got it anyway.

12 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

This is why our FJ rule is that neither of us say anything until we confirm the other has a guess/answer. It's only been broken once - by me. 😄

I too said "Oh it's the other family" when the Medici's weren't right. But I didn't remember the Borgias.

Hasn't been a stellar week with FJs. Started out strong, and now I'm leveling off to my usual state.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
14 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Does anyone think David just wanted to go home? His opponents were very good, but he was mighty quiet for most of the game.

He just got his ass kicked on the buzzer by both contestants. Happens to the best of 'em.

3 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I managed to get ... Brad Pitt

I'd love to get Brad Pitt.

16 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I got pinwheels right away - though I use "roll-ups."

I've never heard of them as anything but roll ups so was stumped on this clue.

Edited by saber5055
  • Like 4
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2
41 minutes ago, saber5055 said:
56 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I got pinwheels right away - though I use "roll-ups."

My brain stalled out on this, the Great British Baking Show, on its Bread Week had a savory sandwich cake thing, looked nothing like a pinwheel but, my brain sort of short circuited because I had the thought 'here is another example of a savory type sandwich thing' by the time my brain came back on line it was way too late.

FJ was another instaget for me, I think I knew that fact about Fleming from something, a book? maybe a mini-series?

• Love 1
47 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

He just got his ass kicked on the buzzer by both contestants. Happens to the best of 'em.

I dunno 'bout just getting his ass kicked via lack of buzzer speed. He also had a lot of wrong responses which surprised me. Guess it was a combination.

I don't make pinwheels but knew that would be the correct response. Never heard of rollups so maybe it's a regional thing.

• Like 3
16 hours ago, Bastet said:

Cris looks familiar to me, but given his location and profession there's no reason for me to have ever met him, so he must remind me of someone and I can't figure out who.  Oh, well - I have at least one more game to see if it comes to me.

I had the same thought. Maybe Liev Schreiber? I also got kind of a James Holzhauer vibe from him, although that was more about his playing style than looks.

I think Cris looks very much like Dominic Cooper who, as chance would have it, played Ian Fleming in a 2014 British miniseries. It was why Ian Fleming was an instaget for me. I'd been thinking of that show and some of Cooper's other roles every time the camera was on Cris.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

This is why our FJ rule is that neither of us say anything until we confirm the other has a guess/answer. It's only been broken once - by me. 

Oh, we have that rule, too. But sometimes he gets excited and forgets. 🙄

6 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Roll ups here, too! Shall we start another pillbug vs roly poly-style debate? 😉

Edited by 30 Helens
  • LOL 3
1 hour ago, The Wild Sow said:

"Galley" (propelled by oars) and a "Galleon" (a big sailing ship) are very different vessels!

But which one was pictured on the program? I remember there were masts like this one, which the caption says is not a true galley. (but neither is it a galleon)