Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 39 (2022-2023)

Athena
  • Start Topic

16 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I am ass-u-ming you missed Bix Beiderbecke. The Bix Fest is a HUGE summer festival here, jazz musicians come from all over to play, and the Bix Road Race draws world-class/olympic runners. Interesting side note, my best friend is writing a book about her father, a journalist, photographer and muscian who was best friends with Bix and played with his band as well as hung out with him outside of playing music. I'm editing the book for her so this was an ultra-exciting TS for me.

If you did get Bix, you deserve a personal coronet solo of Singin The Blues. And kudos from me!

The Mister (musician) got them all, including Bix. But I did pretty well, for a number of them we said it at the same time.

7 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I thought "Christmas Tree" was an obvious answer. Imagine my surprise that it turned out to be a TS!

Me too. But the mister didn't get it either.

I got FJ, though I struggled a bit, being geographically challenged, because I wasn't sure if Egypt was in Africa! (to be fair to me, I lived in Turkey an hour's flight from Cairo during the Six Day War and Egypt has been ingrained in my mind as the Middle East ever since - which is not a continent, I know, but nevertheless.)

Did fairly well, but no running of categories.

• Applause 1
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I wonder if/when a Bible category will come up while he’s champ

The last time they had a Bible category was the game right before his first one.  But, based on recent history, it won't take too long for another one to pop up.

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

Was it my imagination or was there a lot of TS (many of which should have been gotten)? My TS tonight: Cube, Rail Splitter, fluke, harp, Sullivan, Navarone (you hear "the guns of" and Navarone pops into mind!), Reichenbach Falls, metamorphisis. As to FJ, I wasn't on the right continent, but at least I understood what "last 4 letters the same" meant (none of the contestants seem to). And David, try to remember the category (not once but twice he missed the "one-named singers" by giving a two-name response!)

• Like 9
13 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I knew the latter because I remembered reading years ago that he was sometimes misnamed as “Big Spider Beck.”

My friend wrote this in part II of her book about her father who played with Bix and was best friends with him outside of band gigs. She was a little girl when she remembered this in reference to her father: "I knew he had an acquaintance with a famous jazz great by the name of “Bick Spiderback,” because I’d heard the name in many conversations, but had no idea who he was or why he was so great. It took me years to find out they were talking about Bix Beiderbecke!"  

My mom, on the other hand, was of the Bix era and when I would mention him she discounted him with a disgusted hand wave: "He was nothing but a big drunk." It took me a long time working with my friend on her book before I could accept he really was a jazz great, one of the best ever. And well, yeah, he was a drunk too.

Anyone else catch Ken's Sam and Dave reference in Wednesday's show?

20 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

I think David should rent himself out to car dealerships and grand openings.

A3E592D2-5A64-4D02-95E3-28A33229659B.gif.4516ff23eb46bfc79f6ddc0f7df92c31.gif

This made me laugh so hard because I LOVE those air balloon floppy guys. In fact, that's what I see now when I see David so I hope he lasts a long time. Brightens my day. Wish I had one for my back yard.

• Like 1
  • Wink 1
  • Love 6

Archive game for me because I thought today was Thursday so I'd be watching football.  Oops.  I'm giving myself credit for Beck and Mae West, even though none of the contestants recognized either of them from their photos -- they had 15 TS (!!), so I'm going to go ahead and assume they weren't bad pictures that would have kept me from recognizing two people I am well aware of.  With the other photo clues, I either knew it without being able to see the picture or still wouldn't have known.

I missed three in hatchet (but did get the TS of harp on a lucky guess), but if not for that category I'd have done well in the first round; I joined the contestants in being stumped by Knights Templar and fluke (I knew that one, but couldn't get it from brain to mouth in time), but got everything else.

In DJ, I only ran studios.  But I got all but one in states and naturalists, and missed two each in the rest, so still good.

FJ was not an instaget, but I did figure it out in plenty of time.  I figured it had to be South American countries, so thinking of two that end in the same four letters got to me the 'guays pretty quickly.  At least two of the contestants clearly paid no attention to the same four letters part of the clue.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1

Sometimes I think I don't pay enough attention. For FJ, I confidently yelled Capetown & Cairo 🙄.  Oh please...someone beat this mega dork tonight. He's as annoying as the tutor from Canada (can't recall her name). Can you imagine watching a champion special with those two side by side?

Damn, they had me feeling pretty good in comparison for a bit there...then I kinda went off a Cliff (😉) in the second round. 77% / 55% / 65%

Ran New England and Material in J! and what they got to of Naturalists in DJ. Did not get FJ but at least I was on the right continent.

My TSes were:

• Slash
  • Beck
  • harp
  • Knights Templar
  • fluke (this has been a TS before; I got it that time, too)
  • metamorphosis
1 hour ago, illdoc said:

As to FJ, I wasn't on the right continent, but at least I understood what "last 4 letters the same" meant (none of the contestants seem to).

I actually missed that part of the clue because I was listening from the hallway when he started reading it and had to run back to the living room. I was in South America so I probably would have gotten it if I had fully reread it.

1 hour ago, illdoc said:

Was it my imagination or was there a lot of TS (many of which should have been gotten)?

There were 15 - seven in each round, plus Final Jeopardy.

Edited by ams1001
  • Mind Blown 3
  • Love 1

Ha - I am a moron, and it is Wednesday, not Thursday, so I won't be watching football and thus didn't need to check the archive.  I think I'll watch tonight's episode anyway and see if I get the ones I missed this afternoon or if they've already left my brain by then.

• LOL 2

I wasn't paying much attention tonight because dh is having a rather loud phone conversation in the next room and I couldn't concentrate. I did run the New England category and got the TS's of metamorphosis and Navarone. My college major (Spanish - Secondary Ed) helped me get the FJ of Paraguay and Uruguay. It doesn't always, but somehow I pulled that one out of the cobwebs in my brain. 😀

• Like 3

I knew that river was in South America, but it took me a few seconds to get to the right countries.  Hand me an asterisk, please, for the correct FJ response!

I also got the TS of Slash, Railsplitter, harp, cube, fluke, Mae West, metamorphosis, and Navarone.  

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I got FJ, but I wasn't at all confident. I feel like that was a weirdly worded clue by saying that the two rivers shared the name of a country makes it sound like it was the same country. They should have said both named after countries.

Anyway, I got the missed clues of Slash, harp, fluke, Montgolfier, Reichenbach (thanks Supernatural) and Madness (ditto).

I got the entire category of New England right, but those were pretty easy questions for anyone, I think, much less a lifelong New Englander.

For Lincoln, I said log spllitter, and i'm like that doesn't sound quite right. So close, yet so far.

45 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Sometimes I think I don't pay enough attention. For FJ, I confidently yelled Capetown & Cairo 🙄.  Oh please...someone beat this mega dork tonight. He's as annoying as the tutor from Canada (can't recall her name). Can you imagine watching a champion special with those two side by side?

I think the airports were Johannesburg and Cairo,   Not that that matters.

17 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I feel like that was a weirdly worded clue by saying that the two rivers shared the name of a country makes it sound like it was the same country.

It said "share the names of countries" not "share the name of a country" so I think that's appropriate.

19 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I got the entire category of New England right, but those were pretty easy questions for anyone, I think, much less a lifelong New Englander.

Not a New Englander, but, yes, I found that category notably easy for J!  Name the capital of Maine, name the city where they executed the witches, etc.

16 minutes ago, catrice2 said:

Some of the misses or no attempts were just shameful. 

I was really surprised by the cube TS.  Navarone, too.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Not a New Englander, but, yes, I found that category notably easy for J!  Name the capital of Maine, name the city where they executed the witches, etc

And "name the town where the white cliffs are located" as a DD in DJ?  What a gift.

• Like 1
  • Love 6

Bastet, did you recognize Mae West when you saw the photo? I wasn't sure as she looked a lot younger in the pic than I'm used to seeing her.

Very sad no one got Reichenbach, I also got Navarone, Metamorphoses, harp and fluke. I knew it was South America but couldn't narrow it down in time.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

Ha - I am a moron, and it is Wednesday, not Thursday, so I won't be watching football and thus didn't need to check the archive

Ah. I was going to ask what football was on tonight. Good thing I kept reading a bit more instead.

• Wink 1
  • LOL 1
On 9/27/2022 at 4:54 PM, PaulaO said:

David’s swaying is making me sea sick. 

It's not just the swaying - it's the lack of eye contact. He either looks off to the side or he closes his eyes. I know people like this and I always want to grab their faces and force them to look me in the eye. 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

FJ was not an instaget, but I did figure it out in plenty of time.  I figured it had to be South American countries, so thinking of two that end in the same four letters got to me the 'guays pretty quickly.  At least two of the contestants clearly paid no attention to the same four letters part of the clue.

That was my thought process exactly - the river they named in the clue sounded Spanish, so South America...two countries whose last four letters are the same in South America = Paraguay and Uruguay. Now, if there had been any more to the names of those rivers than the names of the countries, I would have been totally lost - I was banking on them being "Paraguay River" and "Uruguay River".

• Like 4
4 minutes ago, anniebird said:

It's not just the swaying - it's the lack of eye contact. He either looks off to the side or he closes his eyes. I know people like this and I always want to grab their faces and force them to look me in the eye. 

There's something about him & I can't put my finger on it. I missed the chats so I know nothing about him. He's a minister--does he have a church? A family? 

15 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

There's something about him & I can't put my finger on it. I missed the chats so I know nothing about him. He's a minister--does he have a church? A family? 

He's the Rector at St. Paul's Episcopal Church in Walla Walla and has a wife and daughter.

The Rev. David Sibley

Rector

As Rector, David's focus is on the work of discipleship and spiritual growth at Saint Paul's – and supporting the call of every member of Saint Paul's to be a disciple of Jesus not only in the church, but in every aspect of their daily lives.

A native of South Carolina, David holds a B.S. and M.S. in Chemistry from Furman University in Greenville, South Carolina, and an M.Div. from The General Theological Seminary of the Episcopal Church in New York City. He is married to Emily, a native of Western Washington, and they have a young daughter.

In their free time, David and his family enjoy travel, hiking, skiing, cooking, and home improvement projects. While Siena, their Lakeland Terrier, lives in their house, they are not foolish enough to proclaim themselves her “owners.” David is a sports fanatic – a rabid fan of the Chicago Cubs, Liverpool Football Club,  South Carolina Gamecocks, and Seattle Seahawks.

I watched the "overheard on set" videos with him and he has sort of a nervous demeanor. Maybe that's just being on TV. 
overheard-set-i-use-buzzer-my-sermon-every-week
overheard-set-10-percent-might-be-biblical-wager

(On a side note, I went to reddit first and saw that Amy got married!)

Edited by ams1001
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1
48 minutes ago, ECM1231 said:

No one recognized Elliott Gould the other day, and Mae West today and this makes me feel very old. 

I said "Oh, it's that guy, you know ..." for Mr. Gould and said Marlena Dietrich for Mae West so I might be older than you.

• LOL 5
1 hour ago, dgpolo said:

Bastet, did you recognize Mae West when you saw the photo? I wasn't sure as she looked a lot younger in the pic than I'm used to seeing her.

While obviously I'm affected by already knowing it's Mae West, yes, I easily recognized her and feel confident I would have had I been coming in fresh.

As for my wondering whether I'd get right the ones I'd missed when reading the archive -- all but one in the first round; the GoT character in that hatchet category went whatever the visual equivalent of in one ear and out the other is, so I still missed that one.

In DJ, I had not retained the name of the hot air balloon brothers (but did manage to remember Sullivan as the Saving Private Ryan brothers) or Reichenbach Falls, but remembered everything else I'd missed.  Ask me tomorrow, though, and I doubt even half of that will still be in my memory bank.

I bailed out when not one of these contestants knew that Mr. Chips was a teacher (and there was a TS before that that I thought was equally obvious).  

My main enjoyment of the show is learning new things, so I didn't want to waste my time.

7 hours ago, ams1001 said:

(On a side note, I went to reddit first and saw that Amy got married!)

Oh my! I'm friends with Genevieve's mom, who has not said a WORD. What a nice thing to have to keep under wraps.

7 hours ago, ams1001 said:

David is a sports fanatic – a rabid fan of the Chicago Cubs, Liverpool Football Club

My two and only teams! I'm going to have to pay more attention to him.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

I got the TSs of Harp, Mae West, Navarone, Adlai Stevenson, and Metamorphosis.

But I call No Fair on having two geography FJs in a row. I lucked into yesterday’s, but today’s escaped me. (Globle doesn’t do rivers. No help there.)

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
47 minutes ago, 30 Helens said:

But I call No Fair on having two geography FJs in a row. I lucked into yesterday’s, but today’s escaped me.

After they all did so badly in the Cliffs category (3 TS), when I saw the FJ clue I didn't think they had a chance. (and I was right)

• Love 2

I thought I was really smart getting so many ts's but I guess there were quite a few I didn't get.

Ts's or missed DDs: Slash, harp, cube, Reichenbach, and Navarone.

I just wasn't tuned in to the FJ clue.  Other than it being in South America I just couldn't concentrate on the names of countries.  Of course it was a V8 slap when the answer was revealed.

I thought that was a picture of Jean Harlow, not Mae West.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 5
7 hours ago, possibilities said:

His twitter is really sweet, though. 

Just scrolled through his twitter a bit (until it popped up a box asking me to log in; I don't have an account so it only lets me go so far); he's funny (one of them had his agenda for the day; two of the items were "cheese"). I wonder if the picture in his banner is his daughter. If so, she's adorable. 

• Like 2
16 hours ago, illdoc said:

Was it my imagination or was there a lot of TS (many of which should have been gotten)? My TS tonight: Cube, Rail Splitter, fluke, harp, Sullivan, Navarone (you hear "the guns of" and Navarone pops into mind!), Reichenbach Falls, metamorphisis. As to FJ, I wasn't on the right continent, but at least I understood what "last 4 letters the same" meant (none of the contestants seem to). And David, try to remember the category (not once but twice he missed the "one-named singers" by giving a two-name response!)

I would have gotten some of those, but the mister was zinging out the answers faster than usual. I got Reichenbach Falls thanks to the tv shows (Sherlock, Elementary). I got Navarone (saw the movie), and Mae West.

16 hours ago, saber5055 said:

This made me laugh so hard because I LOVE those air balloon floppy guys. In fact, that's what I see now when I see David so I hope he lasts a long time. Brightens my day. Wish I had one for my back yard.

They are funny, but now they're firmly embedded in my mind with "Better Call Saul."

14 hours ago, ECM1231 said:

No one recognized Elliott Gould the other day, and Mae West today and this makes me feel very old. 

I don't think any of us are old enough for Mae West - she was definitely before most of our times (except maybe for Myra Breckinridge when she was 77 in 1970). So she's before our time. 😉

1 hour ago, Trey said:

Same hair, same eyebrows. Justifiable mistake.

It wasn't a particularly good game for me, because the mister beat me to the punch so many times. I'd like to say I'm proud of him (I usually dominate), but I'm just a wee bit ticked. LOL

Didn't get FJ, and I wouldn't have even if I'd parsed the clue quickly.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 2
  • Love 3
36 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:
1 hour ago, Trey said:

Same hair, same eyebrows. Justifiable mistake.

That was me, basically -looks like Mae West around the eyes but is it Jean Harlow- hmm, out of time.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Just scrolled through his twitter a bit

Apparently he's heard from people who won't watch J! as long as he's on it, because him being clergy triggers their belief that he will be hateful toward LGBTQ people.

He posted a thread very strongly saying that he and his church are strong supporters of LGBTQ people and that he thinks homophobia is a sin.

He did it in a way that was loving, not defensive, and didn't try to deny where that initial reaction to religion comes from. I thought it was remarkably kindly delivered, and really supportive.

Then there was some stuff posted by someone not a member of his church, but who is local to Walla Walla where it is, about his church's meals program for the hungry, and how safe it feels to go there.

Edited by possibilities
  • Like 1
  • Applause 4
  • Useful 2
  • Love 9
10 minutes ago, possibilities said:

He posted a thread very strongly saying that he and his church are strong supporters of LGBTQ people and that he thinks homophobia is a sin.

I saw that; wasn't sure if it was in response to something specific or not. (He even has his pronouns in his twitter bio.) 

• Like 1
  • Love 2
17 hours ago, illdoc said:

There were a ton of stumpers, all but two of which I got.  Missed Rail Splitter (I've heard the nickname but couldn't think of it) and Mae West (I knew who it was but the name would not crawl out of my brain).  It was not a good game.

I didn't get FJ despite know that the Parana River is in South America.  I couldn't come up with any rivers there which were also country names.  Now I know two, but probably won't remember that.

I was hoping David would lose because the swaying really bugged me.  As someone said yesterday, hadn't noticed before it was mentioned here but now I cannot NOT see it.  Still, he seems fine as a person so I don't hate him or anything.

17 hours ago, Bastet said:

I figured it had to be South American countries, so thinking of two that end in the same four letters got to me the 'guays pretty quickly. 

I missed the same four letters part of the clue.  Don't have nearly as good a reason as ams1001 though.

16 hours ago, dgpolo said:

I thought of Jean Harlow first but knew that wasn't right.  She got in the way of the correct answer in my brain, though.

24 minutes ago, possibilities said:

Apparently he's heard from people who won't watch J! as long as he's on it, because him being clergy triggers their belief that he will be hateful toward LGBTQ people.

He did it in a way that was loving, not defensive, and didn't try to deny where that initial reaction to religion comes from. I thought it was remarkably kindly delivered, and really supportive.

Then there was some stuff posted by someone not a member of his church, but who is local to Walla Walla where it is, about his church's meals program for the hungry, and how safe it feels to go there.

When they introduced him as an Episcopal minister, I figured he was probably pretty socially progressive for clergy.  The Episcopal Church generally is.

• Like 3
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

There were a ton of stumpers, all but two of which I got. 

Oops, turns out there were 4 others: Paul Bunyan, Adlai Stevenson, White Mountains and the Montgolfier brothers.  Still, I knew 9 more than the contestants did.  (Should've gotten Montgolfier from the Monty Python skit.)

• Like 2
  • Wink 1
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

Good.  And since someone did get Paul Bunyan, I'm down to 4 TS misses, I think.

I thought it was a little bit funny that Sam, apparently going on the advice of -only last names unless asked for more-, said Bunyan. I really only hear him called Paul Bunyan, but better safe than sorry.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
20 minutes ago, dgpolo said:

I thought it was a little bit funny that Sam, apparently going on the advice of -only last names unless asked for more-, said Bunyan. I really only hear him called Paul Bunyan, but better safe than sorry.

Well, there's also John Bunyan who wrote The Pilgrim's Progress...

• Like 3
4 hours ago, dgpolo said:

That was me, basically -looks like Mae West around the eyes but is it Jean Harlow- hmm, out of time.

LOL, I did the reverse: thought that looks like Jean Harlow, but no, wait, it’s Mae West! Apparently we were far from alone in this.

3 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

When they introduced him as an Episcopal minister, I figured he was probably pretty socially progressive for clergy.  The Episcopal Church generally is.

Yes, this is true. I have a family member who is an Episcopal priest and very liberal. The church was founded as a progressive offshoot of the Catholic church (well, specifically so Henry VIII could get a divorce, but still) and has a long history of welcoming the LGBTQ community, including performing same sex marriages, allowing gay priests, etc. Anyone who would assume he’s homophobic because he’s a priest clearly doesn’t know Episcopalians.

50 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Well, there's also John Bunyan who wrote The Pilgrim's Progress...

… and also swung a mean axe, from what I hear.

• LOL 5
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, 30 Helens said:

Yes, this is true. I have a family member who is an Episcopal priest and very liberal. The church was founded as a progressive offshoot of the Catholic church (well, specifically so Henry VIII could get a divorce, but still) and has a long history of welcoming the LGBTQ community, including performing same sex marriages, allowing gay priests, etc. Anyone who would assume he’s homophobic because he’s a priest clearly doesn’t know Episcopalians.

Hello, born and raised Episcopalian here. We call ourselves Catholic Light since we celebrate much of the same hoopla as Catholics such as Stations of the Cross, communion (with wine) and so forth, and Catholics who were kicked out of that church when they got divorced became members and felt comfortable and welcome with us. Absolutely no prejudice and hate going on in that church. And shame on people/posters who think otherwise. Those people need to study up before they speak and make stupid judgements.

I still love air-balloon David. Long may he wave.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 3
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2

Since today actually is Thursday and I'll be watching football tonight, I just checked the archive.  Thankfully, photo clues weren't really an issue.

See -- didn't take long at all for David to get a religion category (at least this one wasn't just about Christianity).

This was not my best game.  But not my worst, either.

I bombed the TV category entirely.  I knew Janeway meant a Star Trek show, but had no idea which one, and had not the slightest guess on the others.  If not for that category, I'd have had a good first round -- I even got all but two in religion.  I ran beastly, rounds, and country, and got all but the Vitamin C TS in healthy (helping heal wounds made me think Vitamin E, and then when that was wrong I remembered it's used for minimizing scars from healed wounds, not healing wounds -- and that it doesn't actually do that, anyway, so I was just entirely wrong).

In DJ, I only ran price on my head.  I missed three each in pirates and the vocabulary category (annoying, as that's typically one of my strong suits) and two each in the rest.

I didn't get FJ, and then said "Oh, that makes sense" when it was revealed.

• Like 1