Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 39 (2022-2023)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Another exciting game.  I thought Emmett had been just squeaking through, so his all-in wager was thrilling.  I liked Martha very much and would love to see her win again.  Her $40 in '72 would be worth about $283 now.

2 hours ago, possibilities said:

Do we know what Emmett does for a living that keeps him on the road so much he doesn't even have any use for a home base?

I think they said he is a freelance writer.  His subjects (people, events, what have you) must be pretty spread out.  I understand why that lifestyle appeals but it's not for me.  I enjoy travel but really need a strong home base.

7 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I saw Martha's reaction to Emmett pulling way ahead thanks to the DD, & didn't like it.

I also noticed that Christopher was smiling and applauding while Martha was absolutely stone faced.  To me, it read more as steely determination than being a bad sport, but it was definitely conspicuous, whatever it was!

Edited by 853fisher
  • Like 3
  • Useful 1
6 hours ago, Fex said:

Yes, wow! 50 years ago. Now that is something.

Finally got FJ, for the first time this week. Who knew paparazzi chased Einstein?!!! 🤯 But I thought famous pic of someone older + New Jersey, and voila, correct answer. 

I answered “Edison” quickly, and continued eating my giant slice of watermelon.  Then, as the final few notes of the theme played, I added, “or Einstein.  Edison or Einstein”.   So close.

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

I was happy with Christopher’s glasses and his voice.  During the double round, he started replying even when unsure, and I kept telling him to stop buzzing in.  Then Emmett did his giant wager.  All to no avail in the end.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

Not long ago, on trivia night, certain members of my family went to the mat with other family members over burping/belching.  We settled upon belching being involuntary, while burping was prompted or elicited.  It took us 30 minutes of yelling and pleading our cases, and per house rules, the answer can’t be looked up.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, South said:

I answered “Edison” quickly, and continued eating my giant slice of watermelon.  Then, as the final few notes of the theme played, I added, “or Einstein.  Edison or Einstein”.   So close.

8 hours ago, halfpint ingals said:

I got Winston Churchill for FJ .  He was only five years older than Albert Einstein,  so they were close in age.

That is almost exactly what I did, except I did switch to Einstein before the time was up.

Was Churchill known for being in New Jersey? That's the part that gave it to me, Edison-Menlo Park; Einstein-Princeton.

• Applause 1
15 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Richard petty?????  Worse than the tom brady answer.

Those of us who don't follow racing grab for whatever name floats - mine was Mario Andretti Jr.

It wasn't a terrible game, but not particularly good. I did surprisingly well in categories that aren't my strength, balanced out by not doing well in categories that are.

Einstein was an instaget - for no good reason except that he once dated Marilyn Monroe (I think...don't quote me on that). I didn't realize it was THAT picture, which I also immediately recognized because I got it for my ex for our last Christmas. He got me a coupon - so I used it to buy a "how to do your own divorce" book. 😉

• Like 3
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 2
2 hours ago, HyeChaps said:

There is someone commenting on the official site that Martha already had her tv time and ought not have been allowed to compete.  That’s mean. 

Yeah, that’s bs. Even when I was on almost 20 years ago, if you were on the Art Fleming show, you could be on again.  That Jeopardy and this one are 2 different shows. 

Now, the second chances tournament, IMO, that’s the unfair thing.  (Unless they let me on again). 

• Like 7
  • Wink 1
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 7
  • Love 1

Ugh, I have "Kokomo" in my head.  But it helped me run that category, so I guess I can't complain.

Since I'll be watching football tonight, I just took a break to check the archive.  There are two clues where I'm giving myself credit that I'd have known them had I been able to see the pictures, but for the rest I either knew it without the picture or the picture wouldn't have helped.

If I'd been watching, the way they answered the word pairs clues would have driven me nuts.  Lynda did it right with "lost loot" but on all the others they answered in the form of, for example, "far & oar" rather than "far oar".

I blew the children's books category.  It's generally a weak one for me, as childhood was so long ago I often don't remember the books for little kids of my day and I'm thankfully not around kids, so I don't know any of today's, but that was particularly bad.  Other than that, I had a great first round, running three categories and getting all but one in the other two.

I had a great DJ; I only ran two, but I got all but one in two more and missed two each in the others, so no bad categories. 

I didn't get FJ, though; my muppets knowledge is extremely limited, basically to the fact I liked several of the characters on Sesame Street.  I could have sat here until I died and never come up with that song.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Too busy having an anxiety attack (I hope) to keep score. I know I got the TSes of Richard Scarry and hock. Just looked and I ran Children's Books and Farming. FJ was an instaget.

I like Michael. He reminds me a bit of a guy I used to work with.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 6

Instaget FJ for me tonight, and thankfully, it knocked "Kokomo" out of my brain.  I love the Muppets, especially the old school ones.  The original Muppet Show was must-see TV, and I lost count of how many times I saw the original Muppet Movie.  

But I only got one TS -- hock.  Mandela was right on the tip of my tongue, but I couldn't get it out before Ken told us.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Well, I was rooting for Martha. Besides being my namesake (along with Ms. Stewart and Plimpton) she had the Fleming-era win under her belt. Glad she was able to come back and get a win! Maybe she can carve out the pages of her encyclopedias to stash her winnings. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

If I'd been watching, the way they answered the word pairs clues would have driven me nuts.  Lynda did it right with "lost loot" but on all the others they answered in the form of, for example, "far & oar" rather than "far oar".

Ken even repeated all of them without the "and," but no one changed the way they answered for the rest of the category.

23 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

But I only got one TS -- hock.

I said hock out loud but didn't think it sounded like an animal! Whoops.

I was disappointed no one got Richard Scarry. I loved his books so much as a child. I should buy some for the little kids in my life.

scarry_primary.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 6
15 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

Well, I’m not subject to your house rules, so I looked it up. 😉 According to the Mayo Clinic, belching and burping are the same thing. Cleveland Clinic agrees.

I’ll pass it on to these people o’ mine.  It may cause another dust-up.

• Like 1
  • LOL 5

A whole category about Kokomo and not one mention of Kokomo indiana. 

Except same situation tonight as last night. Big daily double right at the end to jump from way behind to ahead for FJ. 

Knew FJ instantly. We sang rainbow connection in elementary school one year for the spring choir show. 

Also fifty nifty united states....very valuable song. 

• Like 2
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, possibilities said:

How do I not remember the "folding socks in Peoria" story? 

"Folding socks in Peoria" sounds like it should mean something beyond what it literally says... like "sending coal to Newcastle" or some other symbolic phrase.

“Hiking the AT” comes to mind.

• LOL 2
27 minutes ago, dcalley said:

I was disappointed no one got Richard Scarry. I loved his books so much as a child.

I got as far as Richard S---- and picturing the cover of Cars and Trucks and Things That Go and helping my kids find Goldbug. If my brain is only going to give up one name I wish it was the last name and not the first.

There was a clue about Jane Birkin on People Puzzler this morning and both clues mentioned the bag. It was funny because I'd just rewatched Evil Under the Sun and remembered that was the name of an actress in that but didn't think it was the same person, apparently it is.

FJ was an instaget.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

Too busy having an anxiety attack (I hope) to keep score. I know I got the TSes of Richard Scarry and hock. Just looked and I ran Children's Books and Farming. FJ was an instaget.

I like Michael. He reminds me a bit of a guy I used to work with.

I hollered “Maurice Sendak!” Also, I thought Michael looked like he should have been on GOT.

• Like 1

As I listened to the Jane Birken clue, my brain said “Jane Birkin, Jane Birkin”,  but the photo didn’t jibe.  Then I realized that the pic was indeed JB.  I had never before seen a color photo of her.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

FJ? Even I could easily get that & I didn't have Sesame Street as a little kid. That's such a sweet song, perfect name for the bridge.

I think the song came from the Muppet Movie not Sesame Street (though it's entirely possible that Kermit sang it there afterwards)

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

Middling game for me. A lot of correct answers, but only one TS (Malcolm X). I sort of got another TS with “hock”, but I didn’t commit to it because I didn’t think it sounded like an animal. (I pronounce “hawk” differently and just didn’t make that connection.)

As for FJ… meh. The only Muppets song I could think of was “It’s Not Easy Being Green” and that just didn’t sound like a good bridge name. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, HissyFit said:

Like @dcalleyand @30 Helens, I immediately completed the phrase about a pawned item being "in hock," but didn't connect it with hawk.  My hock rhymes with jock, and my hawk sounds like awkward. I snickered at the idea of calling a beefy football player a jawk. 

The thing is, I'm not even sure I pronounce them differently! I think it's a quite subtle difference for me, maybe mostly involving my brain and its perception of the words. I don't know if I'm making any sense. It's late.

I meant to say earlier that I thought it was very sweet that Martha remembered her 1972 opponents' names after all this time. That is not something you can google; she truly remembered! I was saddened that her husband didn't get to see her 1972 episode because he was on a submarine and there was no way to record it or get a copy even today, and it's just lovely that he was able to be in the audience this time. I'm indifferent/ambivalent on the audience being back, but that tips the scales for me. And the show let him on stage! (from https://twitter.com/Jeopardy/status/1573130029168414721)image.png.e61c74d99a6fe5c8b2c735d16fb73e74.png

• Like 3
  • Love 8
9 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Well, I was rooting for Martha. Besides being my namesake (along with Ms. Stewart and Plimpton)

Don't forget that hag in the Medicare Advantage commercials. I have a relative named Martha and I never heard the end of it from her while those commercials were airing.

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
5 hours ago, HissyFit said:

Like @dcalleyand @30 Helens, I immediately completed the phrase about a pawned item being "in hock," but didn't connect it with hawk.  My hock rhymes with jock, and my hawk sounds like awkward. I snickered at the idea of calling a beefy football player a jawk. 

Same here.  The first one was deer/dear.  Alrighty.  But the remainder of the category wasn’t as clear.  I don’t recall the title of the category, but I dont think that we were led to believe that all answers would be perfect rhymes(ha!), but dear/deer sort of spoiled me to think more afield.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

I sort of got another TS with “hock”, but I didn’t commit to it because I didn’t think it sounded like an animal. (I pronounce “hawk” differently and just didn’t make that connection.)

Until I read this, I still didn't know what animal "hock" was supposed to be!

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, South said:

I don’t recall the title of the category, but I dont think that we were led to believe that all answers would be perfect rhymes(ha!)

I thought it was "sounds like an animal," which I think would have a little leeway, but it was "sounds just like an animal."

• Like 5
47 minutes ago, illdoc said:
11 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

I sort of got another TS with “hock”, but I didn’t commit to it because I didn’t think it sounded like an animal. (I pronounce “hawk” differently and just didn’t make that connection.)

Until I read this, I still didn't know what animal "hock" was supposed to be!

Add my Me Too! Thanks!

• Like 2

You can tell it's LA people writing these clues.  The cot-caught merger (which would account for "hock" sounding like "hawk") is nearly complete in southern California.  To me the two words are completely different.

Now Barry and Berry, on the other hand...

• LOL 9
  • Love 2

I got hock from the clue:

Synonym for "pawn", as in "my jewelry is in..."

but wondered what animal it was referring to, since hawk sounds different to me. All I could think of was a part of an animal, as in ham hock. 😅

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
27 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

I got hock from the clue:

but wondered what animal it was referring to, since hawk sounds different to me. All I could think of was a part of an animal, as in ham hock. 😅

Same, but this is where closed captioning can come in handy.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
12 hours ago, Moose135 said:

I lived there for several years in the Air Force. The less said about it, the better. 😉

My sister in law lives there

Yes.....enough said. Not her she is fine but the city. 

Edited by DrSpaceman73
  • LOL 1
15 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

A whole category about Kokomo and not one mention of Kokomo indiana.

The song always amused me because, as I recall, at the time it was released there was no other Kokomo than in Indiana. I was there once, chasing my 18 month around so she wouldn't break any of the hundreds of tchotchkes the friends of my husband's parents had on nice, low accessible tables.

I almost ran 3 categories : Children's Books - I whiffed on Scarry, the worm leading me to Carle instead;  Better Moments in History, but I didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition; and Movie Titles - I want to see CODA, but I didn't know what the A stood for. 

I didn't come close to anything in Double Jeopardy, but got FJ in time after remarking that my father was also born in Leland.

To me hock and hawk sound alike. Regional differences are very interesting.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

(I pronounce “hawk” differently and just didn’t make that connection.)

I made the connection but they don't actually rhyme in my head. I got it first from "pawn" in the clue then figured out the animal it was supposed to sound like.

54 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

but I didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition;

No one does.

54 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

and Movie Titles - I want to see CODA, but I didn't know what the A stood for. 

I have seen CODA, so I got that one. (The older brother in the movie is on Dancing with the Stars this season (unfortunately I don't have Disney+; I found the dances on youtube and he did pretty good, though it didn't include the intro or scoring segments).)

• Like 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, PaulaO said:

Dawn v Don.  Let’s not get into it.

Can't help but get into it because it's personal. My parents wanted to name me Dawn - even though my brother's name was Don. They came to their senses, thank goodness. 😄

But I actually do agree that they sound somewhat different.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 2
5 hours ago, chessiegal said:

All I could think of was a part of an animal, as in ham hock. 😅

That’s exactly where I got stuck. “Hock? Ham hock? Well, it used to be a pig…”

2 hours ago, PaulaO said:

Dawn v Don.  Let’s not get into it.

Oh, why not! Exact same difference as hawk v hock to this native New Yorker.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1