Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 39 (2022-2023)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I got FJ.  It was a guess.

I got the missed clues of computer (after he said computers), Massachusetts Bay Colony, Tarsus, Queen of Sheba and Madagascar.

I got the entire category of infrastructure right, which is kind of weird.  If you told me I was only going to run one category on the board, that probably isn't the one I would have guessed.

Little distracted tonight because my cat, Peppermint Schnapps, was running around getting into trouble.

5 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Ken was pretty poker-faced on that fedex clue, no?  ;-)

I forgot about that, LOL.  I wonder if he only uses UPS.

Edited by Katy M
  • Like 1
  • Applause 1
3 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I got FJ.  It was a guess.

I got the missed clues of computer (after he said computers), Massachusetts Bay Colony, Tarsus, Queen of Sheba and Madagascar.

I got the entire category of infrastructure right, which is kind of weird.  If you told me I was only going to run one category on the board, that probably isn't the one I would have guessed.

Little distracted tonight because my cat, Peppermint Schnapps, was running around getting into trouble.

I forgot about that, LOL.  I wonder if he only uses UPS.

Okay, first of all, why haven’t we heard about Peppermint Schnapps over on the pet thread?

And I also got FJ, on a lucky guess, thanks to the absence of “burden of knowledge”.  

• Applause 2
  • Love 1

Well, I started the week badly, but finished strong -- I concentrated on the "epic" part of the clue tonight, and the only epic I could think of was Beowulf.  I was a little surprised to be correct.

But the only TS I got were Paul Simon and the Massachusetts Bay Colony.  I was very sad that Paul Simon was a TS.  I apparently missed the explanation of the "A" country category -- I might have gotten Madagascar if I hadn't been trying to think of something that started with A.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1

Oof; I didn't run a single category in the first round.  I got all but one in three of them, but missed two in Coming Home and Harlequin (based on the category, it was possible I'd miss all five, so that wound up being a pleasant surprise in a game I largely spent annoyed with myself) and was terrible in streaming, missing three (thank goodness they showed a picture of Cuoco, or it would have been four).

It only got worse in DJ; I missed all but Proverbs in Bible (shocking, I know) and blew songs entirely (I was so close to spitting out "Like a Virgin" - that and "Hey Jude" were the only songs I'd ever even heard of - but ran out of time).  I ran infrastructure and got all but one in Yiddish, but missed two each in the rest.

I got FJ, though.  As a purely lucky guess, but I'll take it after that frustrating performance.  I've never read it, can't tell you any other characters than the title one or a single plot, but "epic named for him" made me immediately think Beowulf and I didn't have any better guess so stuck with it.

• Applause 2
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I was very sad that Paul Simon was a TS.  

Maybe the contestants were confused by the wording of the clue, as I was: “In 1965 when this American wrote the song "Homeward Bound", he was really far from home in the north of England.” I missed the part about “this American” and only saw the part that seemed to imply that the songwriter’s home was in the north of England. I knew that was a Simon & Garfunkel song, but while I was trying to figure out which of them might surprise me by being British, time ran out.

I did not do well in this game. I was mad at my husband, so had difficulty focusing. Can’t blame FJ on him, though, I wouldn’t have gotten that on my best day.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I was very sad that Paul Simon was a TS

I could hear the song in my head but was blanking on the name of the singer, which is not because I don't know, it's because I'm losing brain cells. It's like not remembering where you left your keys. A glitch. I mean, I had the record! I must have heard the song a billion times and sung it myself half of them.

I also think the England part was thrown in there to make it harder, and it worked! Distract us! 

Edited by possibilities
  • Like 3
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, Bastet said:

I got FJ, though.  As a purely lucky guess, but I'll take it after that frustrating performance.  I've never read it, can't tell you any other characters than the title one or a single plot, but "epic named for him" made me immediately think Beowulf and I didn't have any better guess so stuck with it.

I have read it, though it’s been a long time (it was in college and my 25 year reunion is in a couple weeks). Honestly don’t remember the name Heardred but it screamed Old English to me. Combined with “epic named for him” and it was obvious.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, possibilities said:

I could hear the song in my head but was blanking on the name of the singer, which is not because I don't know, it's because I'm losing brain cells. It's like not remembering where you left your keys. A glitch. I mean, I had the record! I must have heard the song a billion times and sung it myself half of them.

I also think the England part was thrown in there to make it harder, and it worked! Distract us! 

That's what happened to me. I love Paul Simon, love that song, but I just blanked.

2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I have read it, though it’s been a long time (it was in college and my 25 year reunion is in a couple weeks). Honestly don’t remember the name Heardred but it screamed Old English to me. Combined with “epic named for him” and it was obvious.

I remember reading Beowulf in college (much longer ago than you). I hated it. For the clue my process was "doesn't sound Greek or Roman, so let me toss in the epic I know isn't either of those" - and TaDa! the correct FJ answer.

Didn't run anything, came close on a couple. But for the most part did okay. I got Queen of Sheba, and Ryan Reynolds (saw the movie, and in my mind he's the sexy Ryan - I like a sense of humor).

• Love 5
On 9/23/2022 at 11:20 AM, MrAtoz said:

You can tell it's LA people writing these clues.  The cot-caught merger (which would account for "hock" sounding like "hawk") is nearly complete in southern California.  To me the two words are completely different.

Now Barry and Berry, on the other hand...

I'm about as far as you can get from LA, and I can't hear the difference.  The only way I can imagine a difference is picturing the "coffee talk" girls on SNL, but I'm still not sure which would be which.  But I don't want to wade into those waters again...

My main complaint on that category was that lyin' is a contraction?  I'm not going to take a deep dive into grammar sites but I thought you had to have at least two words for a contraction...?

20 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I was very sad that Paul Simon was a TS.

I knew it was Simon & Garfunkel, and I was ready to go all in on Simon, then my brain started asking me, did Simon write everything?  Did Garfunkel write some of them?

Edited by SoMuchTV
forgot to make my main point
  • Like 2
  • Love 2
On 9/22/2022 at 8:51 PM, Bastet said:
On 9/22/2022 at 7:43 PM, DrSpaceman73 said:

A whole category about Kokomo and not one mention of Kokomo indiana.

Indiana isn't in the song.  All the correct responses can be found in the lyrics to "Kokomo".

Maybe so, but Kokomo, Indiana is what I think of every time I hear that song. Maybe it's just a Midwestern thing. Plus the fact I've been there.

• Like 3
On 9/23/2022 at 9:12 AM, HyeChaps said:

This lifetime New Yorker still cannot hear hock and hawk sounding similar. 

Neither can this lifetime Midwesterner.

21 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Ken was pretty poker-faced on that fedex clue, no?  ;-)

Oh, man, I didn't even catch that so thanks for your post!

Edited by PBnJay
  • Like 1
39 minutes ago, PBnJay said:

Maybe so, but Kokomo, Indiana is what I think of every time I hear that song. Maybe it's just a Midwestern thing. Plus the fact I've been there.

Being from Indiana all I think of too. 

Kokomo indiana is far from the real Kokomo though. Both distance wise and ....in every other possible way

• LOL 3
1 hour ago, SoMuchTV said:

My main complaint on that category was that lyin' is a contraction?  I'm not going to take a deep dive into grammar sites but I thought you had to have at least two words for a contraction...?

That bothered me, too. I don't know if it's technically wrong or not, but I hated it.

• Like 5
  • Fire 1
  • Love 1

Kokomo, Indiana, is probably most famous for being the birthplace of former Jeopardy contestant MrAtoz.  He is reading all of these disparagements of his hometown...

And he has a hard time disagreeing.

What can I tell you?  Kokomo has been an industrial town for a long time; first natural gas, then the automobile industry, then steel.  A lot of that is gone now, and the site of the old steel plant had a lot of soil and groundwater contamination.  Like many industrial towns whose industry has mostly gone, it's struggled.

• Like 3
  • Sad 3
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 5
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

Kokomo, Indiana, is probably most famous for being the birthplace of former Jeopardy contestant MrAtoz.  He is reading all of these disparagements of his hometown...

Three cheers for @MrAtoz AND Kokomo, Indiana, the best-named town in that entire state. Apologies to anyone named Gary, Valpo or Santa Claus.

• Hugs 1
  • LOL 4
16 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Being from Indiana all I think of too. 

Kokomo indiana is far from the real Kokomo though. Both distance wise and ....in every other possible way

Where the heck is the "Real Kokomo?"

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

I'm giving up looking for Emmett publications. I think maybe they are not widely available, and are commissioned and/or published by groups that don't get wide circulation?

This comes from the Baltimore Fishbowl article linked upthread:

“He has worked across five continents, living in refugee camps from Bangladesh to Uganda, and reported on Venezuelan migrants in Colombia, Syrian child brides in Lebanon, protests in the Calais ‘jungle,’ and many other stories of the 21st century struggle towards human rights,” his biography states. “His work has featured in global publications as well as reports for NGOs [non-governmental organizations] and relief agencies.”

Sounds very interesting, but I had no luck tracking any down.

• Mind Blown 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, possibilities said:

Sounds very interesting, but I had no luck tracking any down.

I was art director/associate editor for an international business trade magazine and had many articles published. You will not find them if you google my name, but if you go to that magazine's website, all are there in the archive and are easily found when my name is searched. My guess is you need the names of the pubs.

ETA: I write for several smaller trade pubs now but have never had interest in seeing if my name as author could be found on any of those websites since I have/own all those articles. I do know many major freelance writers have their own websites with links to published articles.

Edited by saber5055
  • Like 2
5 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I do know many major freelance writers have their own websites with links to published articles.

I really expected to find his site, but I didn't. I even checked his twitter and didn't see it there, either.

---

Returning to the lyin' issue... I think the show deserves a scolding. Or, a scoldin' if they prefer.

Lyin' ain't a contraction accordin' to any definition I could find. 

https://www.grammarly.com/blog/contractions/

https://7esl.com/contractions-list/

I also tried lookin' it up at dictionary.com and lyin' gets no listin' cuz it ain't a word.

It's slang, or informal, or colloquial usage, but not a contraction.

• Like 1
  • Wink 2
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 2
16 hours ago, dcalley said:

"G-dropping" does seem to qualify as a contraction per Merriam-Webster ("a shortening of a word, syllable, or word group by omission of a sound or letter").

(I didn't get lyin' either, because it didn't come to mind as a contraction.)

4 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

Likewise wikipedia ("a shortened version of the spoken and written forms of a word, syllable, or word group").  While "lyin'" is not mentioned specifically, the list of contractions does include 'bout for about and 'cause for because.

Technically, it kind of fits the definition, in that it shortens the spelling of the word lying.  Doesn't shorten the pronunciation of the word, like the examples Mr. A noted do, by dropping a syllable. 

I'll shut up now, until I have another nit to pick.

• Love 1

Since I'll be watching football tonight, I just checked the archive.  Yikes, poor Sue -- she has a flat line for much of the game dynamics chart.

I got a little chuckle out of the Kate Bush clue; I don't watch Stranger Things, so when I heard "Running Up That Hill" on three different radio stations during a short drive about a month ago, I thought, "Oh no, Kate Bush died!" 

I said bracketologist as a joke guess for the "-gist" who makes March Madness picks, so was quite tickled to learn that's an actual thing.  I almost ran the first round, but joined the contestants in being stumped by Norway and patricians (boy, that one was a V-8 head smack moment when it was revealed), and, unlike them, did not get New Zealand.

I did very well in DJ, too; I ran writing implements, mountains, and words, and missed two each in the rest.

I did not come up with FJ, though, because I stupidly did not concentrate on 400; that was another V-8 moment.

• Like 4
11 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I did not come up with FJ, though, because I stupidly did not concentrate on 400; that was another V-8 moment.

I missed the significance of '400'; otherwise I would have got FJ. I came up with Better Homes and Gardens.

I did get the ts's of Elliott Gould, Mont Blanc, Blue Mountain, Thailand, and sloop (then sang a few lines of Sloop John B.

Poor Sue! That would be my nightmare if I ever were to be on the show, which will never happen, but, if.

• Love 2

I wasn't sure that Dixon Ticonderoga should've been accepted as they said Dixon changed the name of their company to this city and the city is Ticonderoga not Dixon Ticonderoga?

Surprised at the Gertrude TS, also got Norway, Thailand, and Montblanc

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, dgpolo said:

I wasn't sure that Dixon Ticonderoga should've been accepted as they said Dixon changed the name of their company to this city and the city is Ticonderoga not Dixon Ticonderoga?

The question: In 1913 the Joseph Dixon Crucible Company changed the name of its pencils to this for the city where its graphite was mined (bolding mine)

So the answer wasn't the city, but the new name of the company. 

• Useful 2

I accidentally said Fortune instead of Forbes.  Guess I was thinking of the Fortune 500 instead of 400.

I got the missed clues of Norway, patrician, Elliott Gould, Blue Mountains, Gertrude, and sloop.

I got the entire categories of mammals, Friends, and S words right and the entire category of pop music wrong.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I accidentally said Fortune instead of Forbes.  Guess I was thinking of the Fortune 500 instead of 400.

Same here. I was sure that 400 was the key to the clue but at 29.9 seconds I realized that it was the Fortune 500, not 400. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, M. Darcy said:

I can’t believe no one knew Gertrude. And wow, they were totally bouncing all over the board. 

I think, after the champ fell so far behind, he was trying to get as much money as possible in the time, and I think the others were looking for the DDs.

• Like 1
  • Love 1