Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 39 (2022-2023)

Athena
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, HelenBaby said:

I felt bad for April & her wager but I was glad she didn’t win because she was Mattea bad—I hate the running commentary on the clues & answers. 

Yeah, that's true. but she looks like Paula Poundstone's twin and i thought she was sweet otherwise.

• Like 2
15 hours ago, BuckeyeLou said:

Interesting to see The Royal Family show up as FJ, knowing this was taped awhile ago & yet here we are, hearing about a Queen Consort.  I am a lover of British History, so I knew the answer.  Also, April confusing Peyton Manning for Tom Brady, made me laugh(no way a Colts fan would confuse those two, lol)

FJ was an instaget for me, though not the mister. Even though we watched the Victoria series together.

As for Peyton and Tom - what ever your feelings about them (I have some coming from a family who loved Archie Manning) Tom is, well, handsome and Peyton...not so much.

On 9/12/2022 at 4:02 PM, 853fisher said:

I’m glad that Ken is now introduced as simply “the host of Jeopardy” - I assume there was some kind of contractual issue last year.  For me the audience doesn’t make a big difference either way, so I’m glad that the people who work on the show and many fans are happy it's back, but it just doesn’t excite me and makes me wonder what I’m not getting.

We backed up the recording to make sure we heard it. It was lovely to hear. I think (I may be wrong) that the reason Mayim got "host" and Ken didn't last year was that Mayim was already signed to host prime time Jeopardy specials, and Ken didn't have a contract (?)

On 9/12/2022 at 8:59 PM, possibilities said:

I said serpent instead of snake. I don't know what's wrong with me.

Just chose a fancier word. 😄

Football preempted Jeopardy on Monday, so we watched both on Tuesday. Did fairly well, though the First Drafts got me with Harry Potter (I hadn't wrapped my head around the category, I think, since I got all the others easily). FJ seemed pretty easy, but I thought there might well be another 19th century book with a cathedral in it.

So I have 2 FJs this week - seems likely I'll fizzle tonight.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I, OTOH, with my scant knowledge of dog breeds, did quickly declare "Irish Wolfhound!" having {ahem} "dated" 2 roommates (not at the same time) who owned and bred Irish Wolfhounds in 1970.

I was always tickled when I would visit a friend who bred/showed Wolfhounds. Her dog would come up to my car and put his head right through the driver's side window to say hi, without reaching up to do so. Impressive!

Big kudos for the Jeopardy! writers who always find a way to sneak "genre" into a clue. Well done!

• Applause 1
  • Love 6
45 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Big kudos for the Jeopardy! writers who always find a way to sneak "genre" into a clue. Well done!

I thought Ken did Alex proud on his pronunciation of genre.  Also well done.

• Love 6
17 hours ago, Trey said:

I don't think there were too many ts's in this game unless I missed a lot.  The only one I got was eyeteeth.

Only 6!  Plus "vaccine passport" which someone else might have been able to pick up if it had been ruled wrong immediately.

1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

I think (I may be wrong) that the reason Mayim got "host" and Ken didn't last year was that Mayim was already signed to host prime time Jeopardy specials, and Ken didn't have a contract (?)

That's my best guess too.  Billing is very important in entertainment.  I wouldn't be surprised if Mayim's contract required, say, that no one else other than Mike was introduced the same way she was.  The intent would have been to apply to a substitute or something, but once circumstances changed nobody would've wanted to bother relitigating that point before the next renewal.  (And this is no dig on Mayim - I consider that perfectly reasonable, if a little inflexible, but that's just the way these things are.)

Edited by 853fisher
  • Like 3

Catching up from last night -- I did get FJ, but I had to think about it.  Sort of, "Oh, wait, it was Victoria's husband!  What was his name?  Or right, Albert!"  I barely managed to write it down in time, but I did.

I also got the TS of bang on the drum, Ratt, and eyeteeth.

Hooray for Ken's pronunciation of genre!

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3

FJ: While I didn't know Monet was associated with multiple paintings of the Seine, I do know that he did multiple paintings (different times of day/different weather/different seasons/etc) of stacks of wheat (aka "haystacks") (25, I believe. 6 of them are on display at the Art Institute), so I went with him. I got the missed DD of "Rin Tin Tin" (before his time?) and, of course, "George & Lenny". Luigi should not have been given "Constable"---he definitely said "constant" and only switched it after Ken made him repeat it (I think he actually said "constant" the second time too before quickly changing it to "constable").

• Like 4
  • Love 2

Wasn't keeping track again, really, but know I got the TSes of Serena Joy and George & Lenny (edit: and Charlie Sheen). Got FJ!

13 hours ago, illdoc said:

Luigi should not have been given "Constable"---he definitely said "constant" and only switched it after Ken made him repeat it (I think he actually said "constant" the second time too before quickly changing it to "constable").

Yeah, I was questioning that, too. Ken asked him to repeat himself and he changed his response. Technically Ken hadn't ruled but that was only because he apparently didn't quite hear him.

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 3
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I did get FJ, but I had to think about it.  Sort of, "Oh, wait, it was Victoria's husband!  What was his name?  Or right, Albert!"

Phone: ring, ring, ring ...
Man: "Hello?"
Smart ass kid: "Do you have Prince Albert in a can?"

Y'all know the rest of that one.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 3
  • LOL 6
  • Love 1

I thought it was wrong that Constable was accepted and Ursula was not. Luigi clearly came to a stop and Harriet didn't. She was correcting herself and Ken interrupted her, whereas Luigi had clearly given the wrong answer. Especially in a game that ended up so close, that really had to sting.

• Like 4
  • Applause 2
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, possibilities said:

I thought it was wrong that Constable was accepted and Ursula was not. Luigi clearly came to a stop and Harriet didn't. She was correcting herself and Ken interrupted her, whereas Luigi had clearly given the wrong answer. Especially in a game that ended up so close, that really had to sting.

My thoughts exactly, especially since Harriet being ruled wrong enabled another Luigi runaway.

• Like 3
  • Love 2

The Rover TS was a bit surprising, as was George and Lennie (it took me a beat to remember George's name).

I was off my game in the first round; I only ran words and dog names.  In most categories I missed two, but I was terrible in music, missing all but one.  

In DJ, Cons was my terrible category; I only got one (and only because they'd have accepted Buffy the Vampire Slayer instead of Angel).  But other than that, I had a great round; I ran vowels, law, and pump, got all but one in characters, and only missed two in Africa.

To cap it off, I got FJ.  As a lucky guess, but it counts.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

That’s 3 for 3 in FJs for me this season! Are they starting out easy, or did I just get a whole lot smarter over the summer? (I’m voting for the latter.) I also got George & Lenny, Charlie Sheen, Rin Tin Tin and Rover. The only TS I missed was for Handmaid’s Tale— never seen it.

The ruling for Harriet was a shame, but I can’t feel too bad for her. She should know to never include a first name unless you absolutely have to. I felt worse for her about not getting a single clue in the legal category. She’s a lawyer, so that had to hurt. I guess Luigi just had better buzzer timing.

• Like 5
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Bastet said:

The Rover TS was a bit surprising, as was George and Lennie (it took me a beat to remember George's name).

I couldn't get past my brain's screaming of "Lenny and Squiggy!" Which is bad, because my father and grandfather were both named George. :-)

• LOL 11
7 hours ago, Gravity Check said:

I couldn't get past my brain's screaming of "Lenny and Squiggy!" Which is bad, because my father and grandfather were both named George. :-)

I thought "Lenny" first so my mind immediately went to Squiggy before backtracking to George. Didn't help that I saw them in a clip from Laverne & Shirley quite recently.

Edited by ams1001
eye kan spel
  • Like 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
12 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I thought "Lenny" first so my mind immediately wen to Squiggy before backtracking to George. Didn't help that I saw them in a clip from Laverne & Shirley quite recently.

My brain couldn't get to George in time because it thought of Gary (Sinise who played George in the 1992 movie which I don't think I have ever seen). It also did attach Squiggy to Lenny but Gary was the one that was really in the way.

• Like 2
  • Fire 1
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Instaget FJ for me tonight.  No surprise that all three got it.

I got in my own way. I immediately thought Monet, but then wondered "Manet? Monet?" and said wtf and went with something unusual - Latrek. Sigh...I knew I'd start to fizzle after starting off well.

15 hours ago, possibilities said:

I thought that about Constable at first, but then I realized Ken hadn't ruled him wrong. So technically, I guess it was okay.

I was a bit confused about what happened with the Leguin clue - I couldn't think of Ursula immediately, so I said Leguin. Last names are best unless a) the full name falls trippingly off your tongue, or b) there are too many Carsons.

3 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Whenever I get too many, I start to think, "They're making it easier, now". But, I just know that I'm not any smarter than I was several years ago. Does this sound familiar to anyone else? Maybe I'm just savvier at guessing than I used to be 🧐.

I started out last night thinking that way, but then I tanked on this game - pretty much everywhere. Oh well, maybe tonight will be easier. 

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Wink 1
  • Love 4

When I saw the FJ category was ARTISTS, I (of course) thought: Crap. "The Burden of Knowledge."

But, having diligently watched every episode of an entire season of Jeopardy! last year, as well as a lot of reruns, I quickly got my ducks in a row.
I first wrote: Monet
Then I wrote: Pisarro
Then I wrote: C?
Then it was time, so I circled Monet, imagining if I was in the studio, I would have scribbled out the others.

I do hope Harriet Wagner of "Who is Angela Le Guin? Uh...Ursula" fame gets to be on next year's Second Chance.
Or, maybe they'll just start (restart?) having people come back on regular Jeopardy! when they have lost due to somewhat subjective rulings which social media side-eyes.

3 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Whenever I get too many, I start to think, "They're making it easier, now". But, I just know that I'm not any smarter than I was several years ago. Does this sound familiar to anyone else? Maybe I'm just savvier at guessing than I used to be 🧐.

Yes. I wondered if they are re-using clues? Or maybe the pathways to the part of my brain that used to know that stuff has been stimulated by watching Jeopardy!?
And I'm better about not letting myself get distracted. I tell myself that it's not very long that I have to stay focused.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
30 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I wondered if they are re-using clues?

They are always re-using clues.  That's why current contestants study the archive and end up doing very well.

A good enough game for me.  I got the ts's of Rover, George & Lenny, and Victoria Falls and was disappointed with myself for not getting Rin Tin Tin.  I said Asta, then remembered the "German Shepherd" part of the clue.

As already said upthread, that LeGuin answer perfectly demonstrated why just a last name is the best option.  I do know she's Ursula K. LeGuin even though I've never read anything of hers.

From my grab bag of artists I pulled out a handful of names and chose Monet as the most likely.  Pretty much a semi-educated guess.

• Like 3
  • Applause 2

Whenever I find myself yelling out the correct response & getting frustrated when they say nothing, I have to remind myself that they're in a studio, standing up, in front of an audience, holding onto a buzzer (unlike a certain home viewer, comfy on her couch, shouting out the responses 😎). I remember years ago, watching when a contestant froze. He tried one or two clues, got them wrong, & said nothing thereafter. 

• Like 8
17 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

I felt worse for her about not getting a single clue in the legal category. She’s a lawyer, so that had to hurt. I guess Luigi just had better buzzer timing.

I was watching her for a couple of those clues, and, yep, she just got beat on the buzzer.

• Like 5

Seriously?!!!! "What is the 24th letter of the alphabet?" Contestant #1: "Z" Contestants #2 & #3: {crickets}. Are they not ashamed of themselves?!! Don't tell me the other two didn't know Sue Grafton.

My TS: "X" (duh), mop, Shameless (and I've never even watched the show), and the first * of the season--Carnegie Mellon.

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Applause 3

"X" was my only ts but I did miss a few questions due to a phone call so I may have got more.

This is my first missed FJ. It was a head smack moment - so obvious once I heard the answer.

• Like 1

Archive game for me since I'll be watching football tonight.

I can't believe X was a TS.  Not one of three J! contestants know what the 24th letter of the alphabet is?  I understand not paying attention and saying Z.  But once that was ruled wrong, how did neither of the other two re-read the clue and catch 24th?  That clue was only worth $400 for a reason.

The mop TS surprised me as well, but X still has me scratching my head.

I almost ran the first round, but I didn't know clownfish and couldn't spit out Innisfree.  (Three cheers for cultural osmosis, as I've never seen any of the TV shows other than Unsolved Mysteries, but knew/correctly guessed the rest.)

Not even close in DJ; I only ran EM.  I got all but one in philosophy, but missed three each in science and history and two each in singers and Hispanic. 

I joined the contestants in being stumped by FJ, and I usually do pretty well in colleges & universities.  Boo, hiss.

• Like 1

I decided instead of sitting on my butt during the game I'd use the step that sits in the middle of my living room floor (since by the time the game's over now it's a little too dark to go out for a walk). Didn't quite get through the whole half hour and I took a break or two in the middle to check on dinner but I didn't sit down at least. 

So, I don't know how I did but I did not get FJ (well, technically I did but only because I read illdoc's comment during the commercial, but I would not have gotten it so I won't count it).

Yay for Luigi. 

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3

OMG!  I am gobsmacked that I correctly guessed FJ!  It was a total wild guess, too -- just because I know Carnegie was Scottish (I've spent time in his hometown in Scotland), and also probably because Carnegie Mellon has been in the news recently.  Still, shocked it was right.  Give me an asterisk!

But the only TS I got were X and mop.  Also gobsmacked that X was a TS.

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • Love 2

Whew!! She would've been tough for me to listen to again.

1 minute ago, Browncoat said:

But the only TS I got were X and mop.  Also gobsmacked that X was a TS.

I guess they're too young for the Carol Burnett show 😉. I was really pleased to think of X after I did two letters back from Z. Guess you'd have to be a fan of that author's unique mystery series.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Even so - if he had bet the minimum, wouldn’t he have been guaranteed a runaway? Or did I miscalculate?

Andy discussed this over at TJF for anyone interested in betting strategy. His site is amazingly interesting with lots of inside scoop on how best to play the game.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, illdoc said:

Seriously?!!!! "What is the 24th letter of the alphabet?" Contestant #1: "Z" Contestants #2 & #3: {crickets}. Are they not ashamed of themselves?!! Don't tell me the other two didn't know Sue Grafton.

My TS: "X" (duh), mop, Shameless (and I've never even watched the show), and the first * of the season--Carnegie Mellon.

I was shocked by that as well. Guessing "Z" was awful because she clearly knew enough to know Sue Grafton's books are named after letters of the alphabet (although not well enough to know Grafton never got to Z, which came up on FJ some time ago), just couldn't figure out the letter when the clue spotted that it was the 24th. And then when that was botched the others didn't have a guess?

• Like 2
  • Love 2
Just now, PBnJay said:

Andy discussed this over at TJF for anyone interested in betting strategy. His site is amazingly interesting with lots of inside scoop on how best to play the game.

Yes I follow tjf as well. A lot of his insights I find very helpful but I do have issues with a few of his opinions. I’m just saying, it seemed like Luigi could have guaranteed a runaway with his bet on that last dd, but didn’t. Sure it worked out for him but he couldn’t have known that. Seems almost cliff clavenesque , that’s why I’m wondering if I missed something. 

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, secnarf said:

I was shocked by that as well. Guessing "Z" was awful because she clearly knew enough to know Sue Grafton's books are named after letters of the alphabet

I wasn't shocked, I was glad because it gave me a chance to say "X!" to my tv and feel smart. For a few seconds.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 7
  • Love 2

Shout out to me in the From The Spanish category: "Spanish saber, "to know", gave us this English word meaning "shrewd" or "well informed." And I was worth $1,000! Yeay me!

I worked hard on FJ and was semi-upset I didn't know any school had a Scottie as its mascot. Scottie was my first dog I bought in college and I've had them for many years, then have had the pleasure of showing Scotties for others. I love the breed. Then the answer ... who knew Carnegie Mellon even had sports teams. And a good friend went there too. Never even crossed my mind. So much for saber = to know.

3828618_charliejenny.jpg.bcba66b00c643bfb36126b2c3117ae17.jpg

Edited by saber5055
  • Like 5
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, SoMuchTV said:

Even so - if he had bet the minimum, wouldn’t he have been guaranteed a runaway? Or did I miscalculate?

I just double checked the moment on YouTube. The scores were 26500, 12400 and 6400. He bet 6000.  So yes, a smaller wager would have clinched the game before FJ no matter what, and an incorrect answer here would have put Annabel in range to beat him.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
8 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I worked hard on FJ and was semi-upset I didn't know any school had a Scottie as its mascot. Scottie was my first dog I bought in college and I've had them for many years, then have had the pleasure of showing Scotties for others. I love the breed. Then the answer ... who knew Carnegie Mellon even had sports teams. And a good friend went there too. Never even crossed my mind. So much for saber = to know.

3828618_charliejenny.jpg.bcba66b00c643bfb36126b2c3117ae17.jpg

We had a family friend when I was a kid who had a Scottie named Ralph. When he barked he sounded like he was saying his name.

• LOL 8