Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 39 (2022-2023)

Athena
  • Start Topic

To be fair, the “X” clue didn’t ask for the 24th letter of the alphabet. It asked for the title of Sue Grafton’s 24th book. You would have to know her book titles followed the letters of the alphabet to know that. (I did. Loved the Kinsey Millhone books, and will be forever sad they didn’t come to their planned conclusion.)

6 hours ago, opus said:

I just double checked the moment on YouTube. The scores were 26500, 12400 and 6400. He bet 6000.  So yes, a smaller wager would have clinched the game before FJ no matter what, and an incorrect answer here would have put Annabel in range to beat him.

This is how I remembered it, and his wager confused me. Why would he risk a guaranteed place in next year’s tournament? But j-archive has his score as $32,500 going into FJ. Maybe they are also confused?

Today ended my streak of correct FJ answers. Oh, well. It was bound to happen.

Edited by 30 Helens
  • Like 4
  • Sad 2
9 hours ago, 30 Helens said:
10 hours ago, opus said:

I just double checked the moment on YouTube. The scores were 26500, 12400 and 6400. He bet 6000.  So yes, a smaller wager would have clinched the game before FJ no matter what, and an incorrect answer here would have put Annabel in range to beat him.

This is how I remembered it, and his wager confused me. Why would he risk a guaranteed place in next year’s tournament? But j-archive has his score as $32,500 going into FJ. Maybe they are also confused?

Those two things sound consistent to me.  He answered the (end-of-game) DJ correctly so he had 26500 + 6000 (=32500) going into FJ.  But if he had answered incorrectly, he would have had 26500 - 6000 (= 20500) going into FJ and would not have had a runaway game.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, opus said:

Yeah. I watch a lot of sports. I have NEVER seen a Carnegie Mellon game.

Wikipedia tells me that they play in NCAA Division III, which consists mostly of smaller schools and/or schools that don't put a huge emphasis on sports.  Div. III schools are forbidden to offer athletic scholarships, for example.

In other words, exactly the kind of school whose games do NOT get shown on TV.

• Like 3
  • Useful 2

When he made his literally last minute DD wager of $6K, I loudly and sorrowfully admonished him with a motherly:   
“Oh, Luigi.” 🙁👵🏻

6C78E713-172C-4F1B-951F-E5049E93DE2D.thumb.jpeg.3042531a0276623178fc29a48e1a0541.jpeg

A75A2AC0-B8AD-4EE0-971B-EBE872807D87.jpeg.1d57c3b59f3938f357cdf7e4e1f87300.jpeg
A0E23D15-6FEE-474D-B567-8293FB427F0F.jpeg.f433171b975d8f8d6148598a42489302.jpeg
But then he heard the clue, smiled, and delivered the response that gave him a runaway game going into FJ, and I applauded.👏

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 3
  • Love 3
16 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I decided instead of sitting on my butt during the game I'd use the step that sits in the middle of my living room floor (since by the time the game's over now it's a little too dark to go out for a walk). Didn't quite get through the whole half hour and I took a break or two in the middle to check on dinner but I didn't sit down at least. 

So, I don't know how I did but I did not get FJ (well, technically I did but only because I read illdoc's comment during the commercial, but I would not have gotten it so I won't count it).

Yay for Luigi. 

Good for you to exercise during the show! I just sit on my butt. As for knowing how well I did, I just check out J! Archive before I get on the forum. Since that's always the next day, the game is generally up.

13 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

To be fair, the “X” clue didn’t ask for the 24th letter of the alphabet. It asked for the title of Sue Grafton’s 24th book. You would have to know her book titles followed the letters of the alphabet to know that. (I did. Loved the Kinsey Millhone books, and will be forever sad they didn’t come to their planned conclusion.)

I was sad that Sue Grafton wasn't able to finish. I loved the books at first, but when they gradually became more "historical" than contemporary, I found myself frustrated with them. I'm sure it's because she didn't want to kill off her aged characters (who were great), but it didn't work for me. To be fair, I don't particularly like mysteries set in the past - even if I lived through that past. Don't know why. (other novels set in the past are fine...I'm weird.)

Anyhoo - I did much better in Jeopardy overall today, I ran Letter Perfect, and almost ran the TV adjectives (saying Golden instead of Gilded). And did fairly well in a number of categories. My brain is, hopefully, snapping back. It just needs a litte more exercise. 😉

Did not get FJ - even my husband who's usually killer on Colleges and Universities didn't. But that's because he's a huge basketball fan and that's how he knows them all. I daresay he hasn't seen or paid attention to Carnegie-Mellon. I on the other hand said "McKenzie" - thinking maybe there was one in Canada.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 5
8 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

Good for you to exercise during the show! I just sit on my butt. As for knowing how well I did, I just check out J! Archive before I get on the forum. Since that's always the next day, the game is generally up.

Yeah, it's generally up by the time the game airs here (7pm) but I just didn't feel like going through it. I only checked for TSes the other day. I had to clean up from making dinner last night. The one thing I need to remember is to mark whether I got FJ.

• Like 1

Ran Geogra-fee and got the TS of Business As Usual.

Got lost at the beginning of DJ...maybe I'll check the archive later ...

No FJ. :( I thought of Beauty and the Beast but I looked it up and that was 1991.

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I thought of Beauty and the Beast

My first thought, but then I realized it wasn't a duet. Then I thought something from "The Lion King" and also realized "not a duet". Finally got to "A Whole New World". 

• Applause 3

Boo, hiss.  I also said, "Can You Feel The Love Tonight".  I realized too late that it was a year off, and couldn't think of anything else in time.  Oh well.  I was doing so well this week, too!

And the only TS I got were Bernadette and Lorna Doone.  On the other hand, there weren't many TS to get.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, secnarf said:

Why Luigi?! You are supposed to bet the second place person's score + $1! Or was there some logic to his wager that my tired brain is missing?

I did laugh at Ken's "Waluigi" comment.

None at all that I can tell.  It wasn't just the difference between the two scores minus $1 assuming they might both get it wrong, which would make some sense.

I ran the GeograFEE category which is weird for me...Got one other category but I can't recall but FJ was an InstaGet for me...even though it took me til Robin's death to actually watch Alladin....but that song was ALL over the radio.....So, I feel smart and I hurt a bit for Luigi...and I can totally see the female contestant going into Voice acting. that voice is distinct enough to make a bunch of money....

• Love 1
1 hour ago, secnarf said:

Why Luigi?! You are supposed to bet the second place person's score + $1! Or was there some logic to his wager that my tired brain is missing?

I wondered the same thing.  He made some strange wagers before, and this time it backfired. I guess he didn't feel that confident in his own knowledge, and thought Emmett would get it wrong and Melissa was too far behind to be a threat. 

I got business as usual, Bernadette, Lorna Doone (now I want some shortbread cookies!) and Leif Erickson (DD).

• Like 1

I love Lorna Doones so I got that right away, also got St Bernadette, Wolverine and, surprisingly, BAU (since I never use that abbreviation ever). I got FJ right away but then started doubting myself but couldn't think of any other duet so I didn't change my answer.

• Like 1

I know all three names wouldn't fit in the clue, but there was room to write "by Ken Burns et al."; other directors repeatedly getting ignored and co-directed documentaries being referred to as solely by Ken Burns ticks me off, especially because his co-directors are women.  (The U.S. and the Holocaust is directed by Ken Burns, his frequent co-director Lynn Novick, and long-time producer of Burns & Novick films Sarah Botstein in her directorial debut.)

I only ran geogra-fee and magazines in the first round, but got all but one in everything else (in texting - which I hardly ever do, and even more rarely involve abbreviations - the others were easy for me to figure out in context, but I could not come up with what the hell FOMO might mean).

In DJ, I missed three each in fast and Brit Lit (I joined Luigi in guessing Walker for the character who shares her name with a shortbread cookie in the Lorna Doone TS), but otherwise did great; I ran television and got all but one in the rest.

No FJ for me, though.  I feared that would be the case based on the category, but when the clue came up, I thought - based on the time frame - it must be "that song from The Lion King" and was really excited when I could come up with the title "Can You Feel the Love Tonight".  But then I realized the duet version of that was not the big hit, so wrong song.  And possibly wrong movie.  But I've never seen most of the animated Disney films, so I couldn't think of anything else.  I'd have never come up with the right answer; I barely remember the song (and didn't care for it), and if you asked me what movie it was from I'd say I didn't know it was from a movie.  So even if trying to think of other '90s animated Disney films would have eventually - and it would have taken a long time - made me think of Aladdin, I still wouldn't have known the song.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2

I don’t think I’ve ever eaten a Lorna Doone, but I have spent some time in the cookie aisle, so. 

Would they have accepted “that annoying song from Aladdin”? Because that’s as far as I got.

”No plants, no pets, no partner” for Emmitt? Aw. Somebody bring him a succulent and a goldfish (both of which can be left unattended while he rides the train). He’ll have to take care of the partner part himself— although this TV appearance may have stirred up some volunteers.

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 5

Just an okay game for me.

I got the ts's of business as usual, St. Bernadette, and wolverine.

Disney movies and songs are not big in my world.  I did come up with the right movie but that was as close as I got.

Good-bye, Luigi.  See you next year.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

”No plants, no pets, no partner” for Emmitt? Aw. Somebody bring him a succulent and a goldfish (both of which can be left unattended while he rides the train). He’ll have to take care of the partner part himself— although this TV appearance may have stirred up some volunteers.

Hey, he was kinda cute....

• Like 3
55 minutes ago, MrAtoz said:

Since you laughed at it, I presume that means you understood it.

Would you mind explaining it to me?

I had to google, but Waluigi is Luigi's rival in the Mario game universe (partner to Mario's rival Wario).

Luigi (the J! player) started his comment on the game's reddit recap with
"First of all, WAAH." and a link to this picture:
image.png.b5e6e76c7325f8c1ecdee8d08d15208c.png

😆 
("Wah hah hah waah!" is a character quote listed on the wiki page.)

(Emmett started his first comment with "Waluigi here!")

Edited by ams1001
  • Useful 3
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
21 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Yeah, it's generally up by the time the game airs here (7pm) but I just didn't feel like going through it. I only checked for TSes the other day. I had to clean up from making dinner last night. The one thing I need to remember is to mark whether I got FJ.

Since I only really track FJs, it works better for me. I run through the questions to see if I ran a category as well, but I'm not really into statistics and such.

I had a pretty fair game, I almost ran a couple of categories. Ironically, my husband who texts begrudgingly and minimally, ran the text category while I only got FOMO. He was too fast for me. Sigh...

FJ was an instaget for me. It was a Disney movie during my kids Disney years (well, they've never really stopped...), and that song was everywhere. The hubby had the right idea, but mangled the title.

So I'm starting off this season with three FJs, which is pretty good for me.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
27 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

Since I only really track FJs, it works better for me. I run through the questions to see if I ran a category as well, but I'm not really into statistics and such.

Last season I started out keeping a record of my scores but I got bored with it fairly quickly and deleted it (just kept one scorecard for when I feel like keeping score). I keep my FJ for the contest. I do kinda like seeing how I'm doing over the season.

• Like 3
On 9/16/2022 at 6:13 AM, Browncoat said:

I didn’t know Carnegie Mellon had sports teams, either, which also contributes to why I thought my guess was wildly off-base.

On 9/16/2022 at 9:06 AM, MrAtoz said:

Wikipedia tells me that they play in NCAA Division III, which consists mostly of smaller schools and/or schools that don't put a huge emphasis on sports.  Div. III schools are forbidden to offer athletic scholarships, for example.

In other words, exactly the kind of school whose games do NOT get shown on TV.

Well WE all knew!  CMU (formerly Carnegie Tech) is our dad's alma mater, my husband's long-time employer, my brother's college, my daughter's college, my sister-in-law's alma mater and former employer...I'm sure I will think of more after I post this!

My brothers Jim and Tom (gimmickgenius and tee_eff_em) both wore tartan bowties for their Jeopardy appearances, in honor of Dad - and they both went home with $1000 after going out on killer FJ questions! 

We're all wondering why one of the boys couldn't have gotten that Tartans question!😅

• Like 6
  • Fire 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6
17 hours ago, illdoc said:

My first thought, but then I realized it wasn't a duet. 

The version of "Beauty and the Beast"  that got released as a single and became a top 10 hit on the Billboard 100 was a duet (Peabo Bryson & Celine Dion) which is why it was my first guess as well. I realized the year was wrong and that led me to "A Whole New World."

Luigi's FJ wager definitely didn't make any sense. I guess he just had no confidence in that category? I'm glad he qualified for the next ToC.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, Slade347 said:

Luigi's FJ wager definitely didn't make any sense. I guess he just had no confidence in that category? I'm glad he qualified for the next ToC.

I was sad about that bet, especially since he pulled himself out of (third?) place to get back to the lead. Even if he had no confidence and got the FJ wrong, the result would have been the same.

But then I've always said that if I were on Jeopardy, I'd probably Cliff Claven it. So don't ask me for betting tips.

• Like 5
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I had to google, but Waluigi is Luigi's rival in the Mario game universe (partner to Mario's rival Wario).

Thanks.  Unless you count stuff like Best Fiends or Angry Birds, computer games are not my thing.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, MrAtoz said:

Thanks.  Unless you count stuff like Best Fiends or Angry Birds, computer games are not my thing.

I was pretty good at the original Super Mario Bros but that's about it. I have heard of Wario but I didn't know Luigi had a counterpart, too.

I spend most of my game time on Simon's Cat Pop Time. ;) 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

What was BAU text-speak meaning? I could only come up with Behavior Analysis Unit! Big Criminal Mind fan back in the day!

How did no one come up with Lorna Doone?!!! Two clues! Love shortbread cookies!

BAU = Business as usual.

As for Lorna Doone, either they don't eat the cookies or they got hung up on the "R.D. Blackmore" part of the clue and blanked, since they had never heard of him.

Does anyone know what "Martha Was Right" refers to? It's the banner of April's twitter.

I tried to link to it, but I wound up embedding her entire feed, which seemed like overkill. 

Her handle is: @aprilbegins if anyone wants to see what the graphic looks like (or follow her). 

11 hours ago, The Wild Sow said:

Well WE all knew!  CMU (formerly Carnegie Tech) is our dad's alma mater, my husband's long-time employer, my brother's college, my daughter's college, my sister-in-law's alma mater and former employer...I'm sure I will think of more after I post this!

My brothers Jim and Tom (gimmickgenius and tee_eff_em) both wore tartan bowties for their Jeopardy appearances, in honor of Dad - and they both went home with $1000 after going out on killer FJ questions! 

We're all wondering why one of the boys couldn't have gotten that Tartans question!😅

Just checked their football schedule. Off to a 3-0 start this season 👍

• Like 4
2 hours ago, The Wild Sow said:

The McG brothers, in their Tartan bowties - neither was an "official" Carnegie Mellon  Tartan, but pretty close...  JeopTom.thumb.jpg.b9367bb7b174afbef73627dc92a0d32a.jpgNeFJeopJim.thumb.jpg.8b069eb4182c540437008e300c520742.jpg

Well MY bow tie (lower photo) WAS the real Carnegie Tartan. I cut it down from one of dad's tartan neckties (he had 6 or 7 of them at least). BTW; two days from now, Sept 19, will be our late dad's 100th birthday!❤

• Applause 4
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, possibilities said:

Does anyone know what "Martha Was Right" refers to? It's the banner of April's twitter.

Martha Mitchell, "wife of John N. Mitchell, United States Attorney General under President Richard Nixon. Her public comments and interviews during the Watergate scandal were frank and revealing." (quoted from wikipedia)

I did an image search and the picture is included in this article (and others; this was just the first one on the list):

https://www.necessarystorms.com/home/the-silencing-of-martha-mitchell

The picture is of a flower arrangement an anonymous person sent to her funeral.

• Useful 7
21 hours ago, The Wild Sow said:

My brothers Jim and Tom (gimmickgenius and tee_eff_em) both wore tartan bowties for their Jeopardy appearances, in honor of Dad

I remember watching Jim and I remember the tartan bowtie. We discussed it here so it's a real blast from the past. While I remember the "plaid" bowties, I didn't remember the college. Now, if Jim or Tom had brought along a stuffed Scottie dog ...

We are still waiting for your J appearance @The Wild Sow. You wouldn't have to grow a beard, but tartan something would be a must.

• Like 2
  • Love 3
On 9/17/2022 at 1:10 PM, The Wild Sow said:

Can I just say how cool I think it is that you siblings have something like this to bond over?  I’m an only but I hope my three kids can have a connection  like that. 

And no disrespect to your elegant sow, but I have to say brother @Gimmick Geniushas one of my all time favorite avatars. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3

A 1969 Life cover with Buzz Aldrin and, mirrored in his visor...Louis Armstrong!  Yes, thank goodness, I corrected myself in time.

The Steinway clue made me recall a recent visit to their dealer here.  I dropped by out of curiosity about their new player piano system, not looking to buy (I have a different brand's upright already).  Just as well - they are now by appointment only and had just two lonely pianos in what I recall as a packed showroom.  I know the luxury market's not all there is to piano sales, but it made me sad to think that so relatively few people seem to want one these days.

On 9/16/2022 at 7:33 PM, Bastet said:

I know all three names wouldn't fit in the clue, but there was room to write "by Ken Burns et al."; other directors repeatedly getting ignored and co-directed documentaries being referred to as solely by Ken Burns ticks me off, especially because his co-directors are women.  (The U.S. and the Holocaust is directed by Ken Burns, his frequent co-director Lynn Novick, and long-time producer of Burns & Novick films Sarah Botstein in her directorial debut.)

Hear hear.  I was fortunate to see a preview of the documentary at the SF Jewish Film Festival, in partnership with our PBS affiliate, a few months ago.  Lynn and Sarah were interviewed about their process and experiences after the screening.  I thought they were extremely impressive and certainly deserve more recognition (and I hope Ken uses his platform to this end).

Edited by 853fisher
  • Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
On 9/18/2022 at 1:28 AM, Gimmick Genius said:

Well MY bow tie (lower photo) WAS the real Carnegie Tartan. I cut it down from one of dad's tartan neckties (he had 6 or 7 of them at least). BTW; two days from now, Sept 19, will be our late dad's 100th birthday!❤

Jim and I were there on the same day.  I didn't get to chat with him too much, but I remember admiring the bow tie.  That was right before we both got beat by the same champ. 😀

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

Maybe I'm mistaken, but it seemed like Emmett had nothing to gain and everything to lose from his DD wager at the end of the second round.  He was leading $10K - $8.6K - $8.4K.  If he wasn't going to bet enough to double the second-highest score (which might or might not have made sense, depending on his confidence in the category and generally), it seems to me that he should have bet little enough to make sure he would stay in the lead.  In other words, no more than $1,399.  It didn't seem like he bet $2K for any reason other than that he'd used that for the other betting clues too.  I think he got really lucky.

Interesting to hear the "Snyder cut" of Justice League brought up.  I recently read this article which claims that much of what appeared to be a grassroots movement to get it released was really bots, and authentic fans behaved pretty badly.  Not a good look for him, if you ask me.

• Like 2

Since I'll be watching football tonight, I just checked the archive, so for a couple I had to make a call as to whether I'd have come up with them had I been able to see the photo within the clue (I didn't need the audio clips in The Call of The Wild).

The rock TS surprised me.  Nuclear in that same category a bit, too.  The House on Mango Street being a TS bummed me out a little.

I ran reading and words, got all but one in flags, TL; DW, and hodgepodge (I should have run that one, but I could not for the life of me remember what Facebook had become), and missed two in historic, so I was off to a good start.

That did not continue in DJ.  I almost blew goddesses entirely (shocking, I know), but knew the $200 clue had to be mummies.  I was pretty terrible in Broadway, too, missing three.  I missed two Jacks.  I got all but one in the rest, but didn't run anything (I should have in London, but couldn't spit out the Strand).

FJ was almost an instaget, though, so I finished strong.