Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 39 (2022-2023)

Athena
  • Start Topic

5 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

I was a little disappointed Chandler was said instead of Miss Chanandler Bong 

I said it, does that count? 😉

I just blanked on FJ. The longest list I could think of was the Time 100, so I said Time even though I was sure it was wrong. The reveal was just one of those annoying “oh, of course” moments.

• Like 3
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 1
6 hours ago, Trey said:

(then sang a few lines of Sloop John B.

Same.  That song is the reason I know what a sloop is.  (Well, maybe if not for it, I'd have learned some other way in the interim, but I'll go ahead and credit the song.)  I'm not a big Beach Boys fan, but I like that one.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
On 9/24/2022 at 5:20 PM, PBnJay said:

Maybe so, but Kokomo, Indiana is what I think of every time I hear that song. Maybe it's just a Midwestern thing. Plus the fact I've been there.

I was confused by tower and tower sounding different. I've never heard tower used instead of tow truck

10 hours ago, illdoc said:

The question: In 1913 the Joseph Dixon Crucible Company changed the name of its pencils to this for the city where its graphite was mined (bolding mine)

So the answer wasn't the city, but the new name of the company. 

I think the answer was supposed to be the name of the pencils, not the town nor the company.

I was saddened by the non-identification of Elliot Gould.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, DedicatedFan said:

Mont Blanc was NOT a TS.  It was the answer to a Daily Double that was missed.  The other two contestants did not have an opportunity to answer it, so it wasn't a TS.

According to this forum, if a correct answer is not given, the clue is considered a TS (even if it only stumped one person).

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I completely forgot about Celebrity Jeopardy.

It's available OnDemand if you have that option.
Edit: It's also in the J! archive: 
https://www.j-archive.com/showseason.php?season=pcj

1 hour ago, illdoc said:

According to this forum, if a correct answer is not given, the clue is considered a TS (even if it only stumped one person).

This is why I count them but mark them with (DD).

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 2
6 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I just wanted to say, I enjoyed it more than I thought I would.  I'm not a fan of Mayim but she was much more palatable on Celebrity Jeopardy, maybe because it isn't as serious.  It was kind of fun. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 2
17 hours ago, jaybird2 said:

am i crazy but tonight's episode was aired friday

Not crazy. According to another site, it happened in several locations. Happened here too.

13 hours ago, possibilities said:

I think you're a time traveler. I saw Fri's show and it wasn't this one. 

Maybe your local affiliate made a mistake?

13 hours ago, flaviafan said:

You are not crazy.  Same thing happened here.   Same episode as Friday.   

Yup, here too.

I was able to watch it on YouTube this morning.

• Useful 1
9 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I liked it.  Since ABC chose to air this on Sunday nights during football season, I'll always be watching the next day, but a whole one game in I think it's a fun tournament.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I have a hard time with "Celebrity Jeopardy!" when I've never heard of any of the so-called Celebrities. I'm not watching it.

I’m not trying to convince you, but I knew only one of the celebrities (Andy Richter) and that didn’t affect my enjoyment. I actually liked the guy who won, whose name I can’t remember. I just looked at it as a lighthearted, comparatively easy game of Jeopardy (although less dumbed down than usual, I think), and took satisfaction in knowing I’d be a very bright celebrity. 🤩

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I said Carousel instead of merry-go-round and score instead of soundtrack.

I made those same exact mistakes, but thankfully realized my errors (that the category for the first was hyphenated words and that, for the second, "score" was right there in the clue) in time to answer correctly.

• Like 2
36 minutes ago, 30 Helens said:

I knew only one of the celebrities (Andy Richter) and that didn’t affect my enjoyment. I actually liked the guy who won, whose name I can’t remember. I just looked at it as a lighthearted, comparatively easy game of Jeopardy (although less dumbed down than usual, I think), and took satisfaction in knowing I’d be a very bright celebrity.

I knew all three players, Simu and Ego because I watch SNL. Mayim was less abrasive, maybe because she was being outshown (outshined?) by all three players so she toned it down, an added plus for me.

• Like 5
  • Love 3
14 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I knew all three players, Simu and Ego because I watch SNL. Mayim was less abrasive, maybe because she was being outshown (outshined?) by all three players so she toned it down, an added plus for me.

I also feel like Celeb Jeopardy, even when it was during the regular season, is a generally more relaxed affair, which maybe suits her better. She didn't bug me nearly as much (at all, really) as she does during regular games.

• Like 3
  • Love 3

Whew! I got FJ.  Usually, when I'm SO confident that after I give my response, I say, "DUH!" - I turn out to be wrong. (LOL) But today's "DUH" did not embarrass me.

ETA: I was amazed that I got 4 of the Jazz Nicknames.

Edited by Prevailing Wind
  • Like 4
  • Love 2
13 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

ETA: I was amazed that I got 4 of the Jazz Nicknames.

I am ass-u-ming you missed Bix Beiderbecke. The Bix Fest is a HUGE summer festival here, jazz musicians come from all over to play, and the Bix Road Race draws world-class/olympic runners. Interesting side note, my best friend is writing a book about her father, a journalist, photographer and muscian who was best friends with Bix and played with his band as well as hung out with him outside of playing music. I'm editing the book for her so this was an ultra-exciting TS for me.

If you did get Bix, you deserve a personal coronet solo of Singin The Blues. And kudos from me!

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

Instaget FJ for me tonight.

Unfortunately, I got distracted by something shiny during the game, so the only TS I wrote down were teacher, detective, NCC-1701, H8, and three rings.  If there were others, I either didn't get them, or wasn't paying attention.  I'll try to pay better attention tomorrow!

• Wink 1
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

If you did get Bix, you deserve a personal coronet solo of Singin The Blues. And kudos from me!

Cool 😎🎶📯
I insta-got Duke, Dizzy, Chick, and Bix, (impressing my visiting daughter) but whiffed on Sonny Rollins. 
We both insta-got the TS of Christmas Tree.
I got the TS of Teacher; she got the TS of Journalist.

She got the South Africa half of FJ. 

56 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Unfortunately, I got distracted by something shiny during the game

I am going to be distracted at least through Thursday.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I do Globle and Worldle games every day and have become SO much better at gauging distances between countries (used to be a really weak point for me), which was helpful for FJ today. I had initially thought of Egypt and South Africa, but six months ago probably would have talked myself out of it and picked two closer countries.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
10 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I got the TS of Teacher; she got the TS of Journalist.

Journalist wasn't a TS; someone guessed wrong, but then the next contestant to ring in got it.

I'm bummed no one knew the character V.I. Warshawski; I've never read the books, but I loved Kathleen Turner in the film and was bummed if flopped so we didn't get the planned franchise.

The Corazon Aquino and Capitol TS surprised me.

I'd never heard of KenKen or Migos, but managed to correctly guess the latter based on the clue (for the former I was trying to come up with something that included Jennings instead).  So I only missed KenKen, journalist, and the Harry Potter clue in the first round.

I did well in DJ, too.  I only ran jazz and political, but I got all but one in science, and only missed two each in the others (all of which were TS, so I was in good company).

I knew instantly half of FJ was South Africa, and Egypt came to me soon after, so it was a great game all around.

• Applause 4

I ran the jazz category-- which surprised me! I didn't think that would be a strong category for me. I think sometimes we pick up info without meaning to, and that can often be what pops into our heads automatically when called for.

I also have gotten better at geography questions from playing Globle every day.

• Useful 1
7 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Charlotte's FJ answer has me wondering if she misread the clue, although looking at it, I can't think what would throw her off. I started with Cairo and figured an 8 hour flight would take you to South Africa.

I started with South Africa and then figured the other had to be in northern Africa and thought 'what country likely has a lot of travelers coming through..?'

• Like 4

This geography nitwit was very excited to get FJ, my first in several days. Ran the categories of Literary Professions and Credits. Almost ran Jazz Nicknames, but missed Bix, so no kudos from Saber for me. I got 5 TSs (Mr. Chips, VI Warshowski, Sonny Rollins, Corazon Aquino and Calliope), so all in all a good day for Ms. Helens!

I think David should rent himself out to car dealerships and grand openings.

A3E592D2-5A64-4D02-95E3-28A33229659B.gif.4516ff23eb46bfc79f6ddc0f7df92c31.gif

• Like 1
  • LOL 8
  • Love 2

I said Kenya and South Africa for FJ.  I considered Egypt, but thought I remembered looking at an American airline's route map and seeing that their only African flight went to Nairobi, and therefore assumed that must be "the airport everyone goes through."  I know, shocker, the world doesn't revolve around the US!

I loved the category on jazz nicknames.  The show seems to be wanting to increase their "bonus content" online, and a playlist of one or two songs from each of the musicians mentioned is the kind of thing I'd enjoy seeing.  If a few curious people end up popping them into Spotify or YouTube, I'd think that was neat.

(Here's my pick for Bix, just for fun.  He recorded this 95 years ago next week, when he was 24.  4 years later, he was dead, largely as a consequence of alcoholism.  I will have to look for saber's friend's book - sounds fascinating.)

Edited by 853fisher
  • Love 6
9 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I DID get Bix. It was Sonny Rollins that tripped me up. I thought "Christmas Tree" was an obvious answer. Imagine my surprise that it turned out to be a TS!

secnarf, I play the Worldle and Globle, too. I have been known to change the time zone on my computer so I can play them (and Wordle) earlier in the evening. The one game I almost always get wrong is Artle https://www.nga.gov/artle.html

• Like 1
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

This geography nitwit was very excited to get FJ, my first in several days. Ran the categories of Literary Professions and Credits. Almost ran Jazz Nicknames, but missed Bix, so no kudos from Saber for me. I got 5 TSs (Mr. Chips, VI Warshowski, Sonny Rollins, Corazon Aquino and Calliope), so all in all a good day for Ms. Helens!

I think David should rent himself out to car dealerships and grand openings.

A3E592D2-5A64-4D02-95E3-28A33229659B.gif.4516ff23eb46bfc79f6ddc0f7df92c31.gif

I got teacher, detective, Corazon Aquino, Calliope, Christmas tree, and Bix. I knew the latter because I remembered reading years ago that he was sometimes misnamed as “Big Spider Beck.”

I hadn’t noticed David as a big swayer, so now of course I can’t unsee it if he does. I wonder if/when a Bible category will come up while he’s champ—which could well be a long time if his first two games are an indication.

Edited by GreekGeek
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
40 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

I got teacher, detective, Corazon Aquino, Calliope, Christmas tree, and Bix. I knew the latter because I remembered reading years ago that he was sometimes misnamed as “Big Spider Beck.”

I hadn’t noticed David as a big swayer, so now of course I can’t unsee it if he does. I wonder if/when a Bible category will come up while he’s champ—which could well be a long time if his first two games are an indication.

Teacher and detective were instagets for me. So mr Chips is no longer in the pantheon of common knowledge and has passed to the category of trivia. I’m getting old. 

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Like 4
  • Hugs 1

Finally, a decent game for me.  I got the ts's or missed DDs of teacher, detectives, US Capitol, Christmas tree and Bix (got all but Sonny Rollins in that category).

And got my first FJ in a while.  South Africa and Egypt seemed obvious, with having the busiest airports and being an 8-hour flight apart.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I wonder if/when a Bible category will come up while he’s champ—which could well be a long time if his first two games are an indication.

Then the facebook conspiracists can have fun speculating that it was rigged for him! (Like every time Matta got a Canada question.)

• Like 3
  • Sad 2
5 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:
14 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I DID get Bix. It was Sonny Rollins that tripped me up. I thought "Christmas Tree" was an obvious answer. Imagine my surprise that it turned out to be a TS!

This was all true for me too, I got Bix because many, many, MANY! years ago I saw the biopic late one night starring Kirk Douglas and Doris Day: Young Man With a Horn

• Like 1
  • Wink 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

was Sonny Rollins that tripped me up. I thought "Christmas Tree" was an obvious answer. Imagine my surprise that it turned out to be a TS!

I missed both Sonny and Bix. I had the pleasure of seeing Chick Corea perform at our college campus decades ago. Yeah, I'm old. Was about to say "Christmas tree" but dh blurted it out before me. I did get FJ, which surprised me, as geography isn't my strong suit.

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I was amazed that I got 4 of the Jazz Nicknames.

I got 4 and was surprised as well because I hate jazz.   Didn't get Sonny Rollins though.

I did get FJ.  Wasn't absolutely sure but I knew Cairo had to be one of the airports and it made sense that the other would be in South Africa.

My stumpers were: teacher, Bix Biederbecke, Corazon Aquino, Calliope and three rings.  Should've gotten NCC-1701 but couldn't come up with the exact number (just "17-something").

My boo Niels Bohr is always the Danish physicist answer.

14 hours ago, Bastet said:

I'm bummed no one knew the character V.I. Warshawski; I've never read the books, but I loved Kathleen Turner in the film and was bummed if flopped so we didn't get the planned franchise.

I remembered the film but couldn't remember what the character did.

• Like 1
On 9/26/2022 at 4:20 PM, Trey said:

I did get the ts's of Elliott Gould, Mont Blanc, Blue Mountain, Thailand, and sloop (then sang a few lines of Sloop John B.

I was sad Elliot wasn't recognized, but it is understandable. I got that, as well as Mont Blank, Blue Mountain (coffee drinker), Thailand and Gertrude.

On 9/26/2022 at 5:02 PM, Katy M said:

I accidentally said Fortune instead of Forbes.  Guess I was thinking of the Fortune 500 instead of 400.

Ahh, that's what I got confused with (after the answer was given - I was trying to think of some high society magazine and came up with Vogue (the only thing that came to my mind, and I knew it wasn't right).

19 hours ago, PaulaO said:

David’s swaying is making me sea sick. 

Sad to say, that's one of my problems. It doesn't usually bother me, but he seems to be very tall.

Overall I did okay in Monday's game - but not great. Came close to running a category or two, but didn't. At least I got a fair number of clues in each category.

• Love 2