Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 39 (2022-2023)

Athena
  • Start Topic

My pre-guess for Historic Documents was "Galaxy Quest".  But when the clue was revealed, I was able to come up with the correct response.

I also got the TS of "Restaurant At the End of The Universe", Denver, Hyde Park, St. Paul's Cathedral, katydid, and whooping crane.

• Applause 2
  • LOL 5

I got FJ right.

I got the missed clues of Martin Luther, Restaurant at the End of the Universe, nuclear, St Paul's, Hyde Park, klondike and whooping crane.

I didn't run anything, ,but I had a bunch where I only missed 1, so had a great night.

Funny answers: instead of defoliate, I said exfoliate, didn't think it was right but had never heard of defoliate.  And I said Jack Dempsey because he was a boxer named Jack that I had heard of and I was positive I was right.

Edited by Katy M
  • Like 3

Partner South is queuing-up a replay as I type.  What the heck was up with Redmond/Redman being accepted for Redmayne?  Then, something seemed hanky about the Yukon/Klondike clue and reply.  I was stuffing a lemon bar into my mouth, and didn’t quite catch it.  I’m fixing to rewatch now.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, South said:

Partner South is queuing-up a replay as I type.  What the heck was up with Redmond/Redman being accepted for Redmayne?  Then, something seemed hanky about the Yukon/Klondike clue and reply.  I was stuffing a lemon bar into my mouth, and didn’t quite catch it.  I’m fixing to rewatch now.

I thought she said "Redman" which I supposed is semi-reasonable pronunciation of that spelling...?

They wanted the specific region within the territory. The player said Yukon and they asked for more specific.

My parents are off galivanting in South Carolina so I had stop over to check the mail and drop off a prescription my dad asked me to pick up and water the plants and eat the pizza in the freezer (just trying to help!) so I watched over there and couldn't keep score. No FJ. Just checked the archive and my only TSes were The House on Mango Street and defoliate.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
45 minutes ago, M. Darcy said:

Boo - no one knowing Restaurant at the End of the Universe.

Goodbye, and thanks for all the fish.

44 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I said exfoliate, didn't think it was right but had never heard of defoliate. 

Obviously not a child of the Viet Nam era.

Ken had to be delighted with the Goddesses category. I am reading his "Junior Genius Guide to Greek Mythology" right now which helped me with the answers. I love all his JG Guides, they are so clever and so well written. Enjoyable for all ages, maybe more so for adults, they are so witty.

Edited by saber5055
  • Like 3
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
14 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

I couldn't quite recall it.  I got as far as "the cafe at the end of the world."  That must be the store brand.

Ah, I think that’s a sister store to The Restaurant at the End of the Galaxy, which was the best I could come up with. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

I wouldn't have given Emmett credit for his FJ response.  That didn't look anything like "Proclamation"and even "Emancipation" was a little iffy.  It wasn't nearly as clear as "Tubman" was a few months ago.

I did get the missed DD's or ts's of Luther, nuclear, Klondike, defoliate, katydid, and whooping crane.

No idea for FJ.  There was no time frame in the clue to help me pin it down so I just threw out all the documents I could think of.  Unfortunately, Emancipation Proclamation wasn't one of them.

• Like 2

TS: Tower (tow-er/tawh-er), Lamb (I said "Lamb" instead of "Lamb's" Lettuce, but the way the clue was written (Mâche also has the sweet alliterative name this baby animal's lettuce (underscore mine)), I think the animal would be acceptable), and Brian Wilson Pickett (I knew who did "In the Midnight Hour" and Brian was the only Beach Boy I could name).

• Like 4
  • Love 2

I was rooting for Kelly, the Classics professor. I was excited when she finished DJ in the lead, especially since it looked like an Emmett runaway for awhile. But disappointment awaited me. I was also disappointed that Ken's interview with her was all about her father and not her, but at least he didn't ask why anyone would want to study dead languages!

On a happier note: We got two genres, both as a category ad as a clue!

• Like 4
  • Love 1

I did not do well tonight, but I got FJ right which allowed me to end up in the black (FJ is always worth $10K the way I play which can either wipe out my money, or really help me out in nthe end).

I got the missed clues of compact, lamb and Brian Wilson Pickett.

I got the entire category of slang wrong.  Which I can only assume means that I am offfically super duper old as opposed to unofficially.

59 minutes ago, illdoc said:

(I said "Lamb" instead of "Lamb's" Lettuce, but the way the clue was written (Mâche also has the sweet alliterative name this baby animal's lettuce (underscore mine))

I concur.

• Like 3

For the first time (in either a long time or maybe forever), I liked all three contestants. No irritating voices, no attitudes...just three nice people. I said "lamb" as well and believe the clue didn't require the additional "lettuce". Putting together Brian Wilson Pickett was fun! Good show tonight. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Floved this, LOL:
image.png.4e9493a65d8018cf340fe8782a829d54.png

image.png.9031541dd052e9719e6b9728fbeb5058.png

image.png.530b7d7a88c027bc005d4a34983f2ab1.png

image.png.6b3b0d8d56ff8ab3c8a7a1278ea0e716.png

😆

Meanwhile . . .
I got TS's of

• Lamb (because I call my grandbaby Lambchop and because of Lamb's quarters
  • Parody
  • Brian Wilson Pickett

And I may or may not have gotten FJ: 
I started out with "inaugural," but had time to cross it out and write "State of the Nation."

• "The constitutionally mandated presidential message has gone through a few name changes:
    "It was formally known as the Annual Message from 1790 to 1946.
    "It began to be informally called the "state of the Union" message/address from 1942 to 1946.
    "Since 1947 it has officially been known as the State of the Union Address."
    history.house.gov/Institution/SOTU/State-of-the-Union

So probably not.

I loved Kelly's sweater and Juliana's diction. 
I agree that any of them winning would have been fine.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 5
  • LOL 4

Okay, I thought I did better on TSes but the only one I got was parody.

I knew Leonard Bernstein in Before & After Names but Ken correctly surmised that I am not an NBA fan so I did not get the first part of that one.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

The first round was pretty flat, but things got interesting in DJ.  I was rooting for Kelly, but good for Emmett.

I loved the heteronyms category (and Ken's "... hole, or hole-ay" joke made me simultaneously roll my eyes and laugh), but I thought the mole clue was one of its easiest, rather than a $1000 value.

Because I am apparently an adolescent, I snickered at frottage, thinking of the sexual act, not the art technique.

I was on fire in the first round, getting everything but the basilisk TS, and then they got to the Entertain "You" category and I flamed out.  First, like Kelly, I guessed "Now You See It" rather than "See Me" for the movie (I've never heard of it), and then, like Emmett, I forgot the category and said "She Loves Me" instead of "Loves You" for the song (I obviously don't know it well).  I had no idea on the Harry Styles song; I recently, following discussion in another thread, looked up his most popular songs to see if I'd heard any of them, and hadn't (and clearly didn't retain anything I heard)

I didn't run a single category in DJ, but I got all but one in capitals, seconds, and Before & After People.  I missed two each in names and poetry.  I missed three in slang, and it would have been four, as I didn't think my guess of "emo" was right for describing a drama queen, but couldn't think of another three-letter genre used as slang so went ahead and said it -- the only one I actually knew was thirsty, and the others I've never even heard.

FJ was an instaget, and last night's almost was, so I'm on a roll.  Of course, it's only Tuesday.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

The mole/molay and hole/holay joke was the epitome of why I love Ken as a host. I know there are writers on staff and sometimes we credit witticisms to the hosts that are actually written by writers but then there are jokes like that one that can't be written. They're too specific to certain people getting certain answers in certain situations.

• Like 5
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 5
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
On 9/19/2022 at 7:37 PM, ams1001 said:

I thought she said "Redman" which I supposed is semi-reasonable pronunciation of that spelling...?

She said “redmin”, which I didn’t find it reasonable at all. There’s a “y” in the middle! I would never think to pronounce “may” as “mih”. Until somebody tells me Eddie Redmayne considers that an appropriate pronunciation of his name, I’m calling that a misruling. 

On 9/19/2022 at 7:41 PM, 853fisher said:

I couldn't quite recall it.  I got as far as "the cafe at the end of the world."  That must be the store brand.

That was my response, too! 

53 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

The mole/molay and hole/holay joke was the epitome of why I love Ken as a host. 

Ken does great dad joke.

Missed yesterday’s FJ, but got today’s even though I was very unsure. The time of year was right, but I thought the State of the Union was a more modern thing. (That is, until Shapeshifter reminded me that I was just confused by the name change. Because I knew all that history, I just forgot. Really! Pinky swear.)

• Like 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:

The mole/molay and hole/holay joke was the epitome of why I love Ken as a host.

I was just thinking today that I love how Ken pays attention to the contestant stories and reacts well to them. I'm not a natural people person, and I admire someone who is. (Mayim is a fine host, but she doesn't have Ken's quick wit and warmth. I think few people have that kind of charm, and I appreciate those who do.)

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3

As soon as I realized who it was, I yelled out: "Kahwi LEONARD BERNSTEIN" like "It's the End of the World as We Know It."

13 hours ago, Trey said:

I wouldn't have given Emmett credit for his FJ response.  That didn't look anything like "Proclamation"and even "Emancipation" was a little iffy.  It wasn't nearly as clear as "Tubman" was a few months ago.

If that boy in the kid's tournament was marked wrong for misspelling the Emancipation Proclamation, that chicken scrawl of what looked more like the Emancipatinn Prinkmiln shouldn't count.  I can see Emancipation, but that's not even close to Proclamation. I agree he should have lost.  

• Applause 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Bastet said:

I thought the mole clue was one of its easiest, rather than a $1000 value.

I thought so too.  It was a minor plot point on "Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt" that one of the so-called mole women, previously kept underground by a kidnapper, took her power back by bottling her mole sauce.  I'm not arguing that was some unmissable cultural touchstone, just that if the same joke occurred to sitcom writers half a decade ago, it might just come to mind more easily in general, for whatever reason.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
9 hours ago, 30 Helens said:
On 9/19/2022 at 7:41 PM, 853fisher said:

That was my response, too! 

I said Diner.

10 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

She said “redmin”, which I didn’t find it reasonable at all. There’s a “y” in the middle! I would never think to pronounce “may” as “mih”. Until somebody tells me Eddie Redmayne considers that an appropriate pronunciation of his name, I’m calling that a misruling. 

sounded like redmehn to me, like something kind of boring - meh

• LOL 1
On 9/19/2022 at 4:06 PM, 853fisher said:

Interesting to hear the "Snyder cut" of Justice League brought up.  I recently read this article which claims that much of what appeared to be a grassroots movement to get it released was really bots, and authentic fans behaved pretty badly.  Not a good look for him, if you ask me.

I'd just read about the "Snyder Cut" (not the same article) so I was able to get it. If it had been last week, I wouldn't have.

On 9/20/2022 at 8:29 AM, Trey said:

No idea for FJ.  There was no time frame in the clue to help me pin it down so I just threw out all the documents I could think of.  Unfortunately, Emancipation Proclamation wasn't one of them.

That was my problem, and I can't remember what I said. "Went into effect in January" was just not enough for me.

I recorded Monday's show (stupid football). I was really hot on that one - ran a few categories, got most of the answers overall, but whiffed FJ.

Whereas for Tuesday's game, I was terrible during both rounds, but got FJ immediately.

Watched the first game at noon, and the second closer to my bedtime. (I'm an early to bed early to rise person, even though I'm retired)  I wonder if that has anything to do with it? Getting old and groggy at night?

• Love 2

Not a particularly good game for me last night.  I got the ts's of tower, lambs and radicchio.

Did not get FJ.  I went with Inaugural Speech; nothing else even came to mind.  That's two nights in a row with American political FJ's so I am 0/2. 

Re the poetry genres, I said lampoon instead of parody.  Do you think that would have been acceptable?

• Like 1

Archive game for me last night.  I tend not to do as well with those, and I did not get FJ.  Mind you, I probably wouldn't have gotten FJ had I actually watched the game, but I'll blame using the archive. 

And the only TS I got were basilisk (even without the picture), tower/tower, and lamb.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Trey said:

Re the poetry genres, I said lampoon instead of parody.  Do you think that would have been acceptable?

Nope, first of all I can't find a definition of lampoon that mentions poetry, secondly, and probably more importantly, it is 7 letters and they asked for a 6 letter word.

• Thanks 1
  • Useful 2

Aww crumbs. I was pulling for Emmett or that very bright guy in the middle (can't remember his name).  I saw Martha's reaction to Emmett pulling way ahead thanks to the DD, & didn't like it.  Anyway. Good game again tonight. 

Edited by annzeepark914

Man, I knew last week was too good to be true.  I did not get FJ tonight, either, although I knew the photo immediately when the correct response was revealed.

And I only got two TS -- freckles, and O Pioneers! and My Antonia.

• Like 2
31 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Pretty cool the champion was on the original show. 

Yes, wow! 50 years ago. Now that is something.

Finally got FJ, for the first time this week. Who knew paparazzi chased Einstein?!!! 🤯 But I thought famous pic of someone older + New Jersey, and voila, correct answer. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 4
2 minutes ago, Fex said:

Yes, wow! 50 years ago. Now that is something.

Finally got FJ, for the first time this week. Who knew paparazzi chased Einstein?!!! 🤯 But I thought famous pic of someone older + New Jersey, and voila, correct answer. 

I thought I just read something about that picture...I think on one of those online click bait interesting 'fact' articles so it was in mind but yeah NJ, the year famous photo...made sense. 

• Like 3
35 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I thought I just read something about that picture...I think on one of those online click bait interesting 'fact' articles so it was in mind but yeah NJ, the year famous photo...made sense. 

I just did a search; was it https://www.thevintagenews.com/2022/06/15/famous-photo-albert-einstein ?

I got stuck on "it's not Frank Sinatra" (I knew he was nowhere near 72 in 1951), and I never thought of anyone. Like others, I immediately knew the photo when Martha's answer was revealed.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Nice, even game.  Christopher got a good deal more correct than the other two, but they each only got one wrong while he got six, so it was anyone's to win heading into FJ.  Good for Martha; FJ was an instaget for her, and I loved her reaction to winning.

The Hirohito TS surprised me, as did no one guessing freckles.

This was not my game; I only ran two categories in the whole game, both in the first round -- doc and pairs.  I was only terrible in one, sports, in which I missed three, but that's usually a good category for me, so I was annoyed.  I missed one or two in all the rest, so not a terrible game by any means, but not what I'm used to.

I had no idea for FJ.

• Love 2

I guess I was off a few years, but with NJ mentioned I went with Thomas Edison. Was he recognizable enough to have people yelling “Hey Tommy, thanks for the inventions! ” as he walked down the street?

• LOL 3
9 minutes ago, opus said:

I guess I was off a few years, but with NJ mentioned I went with Thomas Edison. Was he recognizable enough to have people yelling “Hey Tommy, thanks for the inventions! ” as he walked down the street?

Well he died in 1931.....

So if he was walking down the street in 1951 you better believe a bunch of people would want his picture!

• LOL 7
3 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Tonight reminded me of why I don't always like to keep score...

Only ran Great American Pairs, my only TSes were O Pioneers! & My Ántonia and Hirohito, and I did not get FJ.

Terrible game for me, too. I didn’t even do well in categories I should have owned, like the double books one. It was like my brain was full of fuzz and no vacuum cleaner in sight. No FJ, either. (Although the hubs got it and proceeded to gloat for the next 10 minutes.)

I was rooting for the guy in the middle, mostly because I liked his neon teal glasses. Farewell, Emmitt. Go get yourself a plant.

• Like 4
  • Love 2