Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 39 (2022-2023)

Athena
  • Start Topic

19 minutes ago, dgpolo said:

But which one was pictured on the program? I remember there were masts like this one, which the caption says is not a true galley. (but neither is it a galleon)

The pic showed a ship with a bunch of oars, like 10 or more on each side. I concentrated on the oars (and the poor people rowing with them!) and paid no attention to the masts.

• Like 2
  • Love 2
13 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

The pic showed a ship with a bunch of oars, like 10 or more on each side. I concentrated on the oars (and the poor people rowing with them!) and paid no attention to the masts.

The clue itself mentioned oars! For centuries, pirates employed these oar-powered ships to catch vessels in the calm waters of the Mediterranean

• Love 1
3 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I concentrated on the oars (and the poor people rowing with them!) and paid no attention to the masts.

I was trying to count masts because of the sloop clue the other day.🤷‍♀️

Yes. I know the masts didn't have anything to do with anything, it's just where my brain went. At least I managed an answer, even if it was wrong, unlike the pinwheel clue.

Edited by dgpolo
explantion
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I concentrated on the oars (and the poor people rowing with them!) and paid no attention to the masts.

Galleys did have masts and sails for use in favorable winds.  But the defining feature is always the oars!  As seen in countless movies, commercials, cartoons.....

• Love 2
1 minute ago, The Wild Sow said:

Galleys did have masts and sails for use in favorable winds.  But the defining feature is always the oars!

I'm not really up on the galley/galleon discussion, but didn't Ken also say "galleon" was a correct answer?

Berry/Barry!

• LOL 3
43 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I'm not really up on the galley/galleon discussion, but didn't Ken also say "galleon" was a correct answer?

Berry/Barry!

I just checked my recording. Ken said "galley" twice. J!Archive has the answer as "galley". The picture showed a ship with oars and sails.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

OK, I don't see any posts here but the Celebrity Jeopardy thread is closed, so I guess I'll post here.

I barely made it through last week's episode, but after last night, for God's sake, get Daryl Hammond back on to play Sean Connery.  A dead Sean Connery could not be any stupider or more annoying than the players they had on last night, none of whom I had ever heard of.  Have any of these people ever seen the show?  Were they told it was all about being quirky and trying desperately (and failing) to be funny?  To the girl - we get it!  You're in comedy, all evidence to the contrary, and I guess that's why you felt the need to tell us that people would expect you to choose the comedy category (which you were terrible at.)  To the guy in the middle - you were actually relatively good at the game and you are really good at French and German accents.  You even tried to play it straight for a few questions but apparently that didn't get you enough attention.  The the guy on the end - whatever.  Your answers were so terrible I blocked them out.  I tuned out during Double Jeopardy, when it seemed they truly did use some of the questions from the SNL skit. 

If the powers that be ever wonder whether this show was a good idea or whether it will appeal to anyone who watches regular Jeopardy, I submit the question about the landmark replica in front of the Paris hotel in Las Vegas.  Hmm, I wonder what it could be?  Instead we get two answers so stupid that when middle guy gives the right answer, albeit in French because he's quirky, Mayim is so flustered, she originally tells him he's wrong.

Anyway, back to regularly scheduled programming.

• Like 4
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1
10 minutes ago, bankerchick said:

OK, I don't see any posts here but the Celebrity Jeopardy thread is closed, so I guess I'll post here.

I barely made it through last week's episode, but after last night, for God's sake, get Daryl Hammond back on to play Sean Connery.  A dead Sean Connery could not be any stupider or more annoying than the players they had on last night, none of whom I had ever heard of.  Have any of these people ever seen the show?  Were they told it was all about being quirky and trying desperately (and failing) to be funny?  To the girl - we get it!  You're in comedy, all evidence to the contrary, and I guess that's why you felt the need to tell us that people would expect you to choose the comedy category (which you were terrible at.)  To the guy in the middle - you were actually relatively good at the game and you are really good at French and German accents.  You even tried to play it straight for a few questions but apparently that didn't get you enough attention.  The the guy on the end - whatever.  Your answers were so terrible I blocked them out.  I tuned out during Double Jeopardy, when it seemed they truly did use some of the questions from the SNL skit. 

If the powers that be ever wonder whether this show was a good idea or whether it will appeal to anyone who watches regular Jeopardy, I submit the question about the landmark replica in front of the Paris hotel in Las Vegas.  Hmm, I wonder what it could be?  Instead we get two answers so stupid that when middle guy gives the right answer, albeit in French because he's quirky, Mayim is so flustered, she originally tells him he's wrong.

Anyway, back to regularly scheduled programming.

The Celebrity Forum is in a different section of the forums, if you're interested: https://forums.primetimer.com/forum/5012-celebrity-jeopardy/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Useful 1
On 9/30/2022 at 8:52 PM, saber5055 said:

Thanks @ams1001 for explaining Ryan Fenster so I don't have to. He's The Puppy Killer in my lexicon.

I give him the slightest benefit of the doubt that maybe someone else brought the puppy down.  Just the very slightest.

On 9/30/2022 at 10:04 PM, annzeepark914 said:

Well...that was interesting. Does anyone think David just wanted to go home?

No.  I never think that when a multi-game champ loses.  I just figure they ran into someone faster on the buzzer.

On 10/1/2022 at 3:41 PM, The Wild Sow said:

"Galley" (propelled by oars) and a "Galleon" (a big sailing ship) are very different vessels!

And galley was the correct answer.  The clue specified "oar-powered ships".

On 10/1/2022 at 6:58 PM, saber5055 said:

I know. The debate here is about galley vs. galleon.

Galleons were not oar-powered.

On 10/1/2022 at 10:41 PM, chessiegal said:

I just checked my recording. Ken said "galley" twice. J!Archive has the answer as "galley". The picture showed a ship with oars and sails.

I heard galley as well.

On 9/30/2022 at 10:04 PM, annzeepark914 said:

Does anyone think David just wanted to go home?

41 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

No.  I never think that when a multi-game champ loses.  I just figure they ran into someone faster on the buzzer.

I assumed he was just tired. It was his 5th game of the day.

• Like 3
  • Love 2

Archive game for me since I'll be watching football (I was afraid I wasn't going to be able to watch either one, due to the pissing contest between Dish and Disney, but after already dealing with enough pissed off people who missed college football games this weekend, they got a temporary deal done).

The preventive TS really surprised me, and pattern a bit.

I missed two novels and the transverse TS, but got everything else in the first round.

I didn't run anything in DJ, but I did fine; I got all but one in film noir and alliteration, and missed two each in the rest.

FJ took me more thought than it probably should have, so I don't know if I'd have been able to write it down in time, but for the game I'm playing at my desk, I got it.

• Applause 2

I loved Chris's rabbit story. If you did feed Lentils lentils, would that be cannibalism?

I also like his calm demeanor. (Maybe that's in part because of the contrast to the chaos that was last night's Celebrity Jeopardy.)

My only TS was preventive medicine.

Now I want a Krispy Kreme, glazed.

I knew FJ was Robert Frost but I couldn't think of the line.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

My only ts was mitre box.

Jenny annoyed me at first with ringing in on questions she obviously didn't know the answer to but then she grew on me and I enjoyed her comeback.

Pretty much an instaget FJ but I had to count the letters words to be sure.

Edited by Trey
  • Like 2
1 minute ago, Trey said:

Pretty much an instaget FJ but I had to count the letters to be sure

You meant the words (not letters). I suppose you could have counted the letters, but I don't think it would have helped!

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
11 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Now I want a Krispy Kreme, glazed.

I knew FJ was Robert Frost but I couldn't think of the line.

Krispy Kreme yes, but the HOT sign has to be on. They are the BEST. Side note: I've been to the original Krispy Kreme, bought two dozen HOT glazed!

I was with you with Robert Frost but I picked the wrong poem/line.

ETA: Ken's Junior Genius Guide to Greek Mythology was a huge help with THE TITANS category and a few others. Thanks Pandora for not letting HOPE out of the box.

Edited by saber5055
  • Like 5
3 minutes ago, illdoc said:

You meant the words (not letters). I suppose you could have counted the letters, but I don't think it would have helped!

Yes, you are correct. I counted the words.  Note to self: always proofread.

• Like 1
  • LOL 4

Only got Tasman Sea and Maldives, and that one was one of those that I don't know I know it until it comes out of my mouth! And FJ. The shirts Cris wears sure look soft and comfy. Scott was doing so well early on I was surprised how far behind he got. And Jenny might have had a chance if she hadn't had to dig herself out of a hole.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I got FJ, but don't think I would have gotten it if I were on the show because I started out saying stone walls make good neighbors.

I got the missed clue of Tasman Sea.  I got the entire partial category of Titans right.

Not really a great night, but i've definitely had worse.

• Like 4

I pre-guessed a Robert Frost poem, but the wrong one (miles to go before I sleep), so when the clue was revealed, I had to get that out of my head before I came up with the correct response.  I just finished writing when time ran out, so I count it as a win.

I also got the TS of mitre box, Maldives, and Tasman Sea.

I'm glad the champ won again.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
58 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Krispy Kreme yes, but the HOT sign has to be on. They are the BEST. Side note: I've been to the original Krispy Kreme, bought two dozen HOT glazed!

I searched on the KK site and several stores came up; they are all 30+ miles away.

I used to work at a bookstore that had a Starbucks attached; for a little while they sold KK donuts. I used to be able to get boxes of 6 at one of the grocery stores near my parents' house but that's long gone.

31 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

So where is the original Krispy Kreme? That's one of the few I got right...a very humbling game tonight. Their glazed donuts must be hot, right out of the oven. So delicious. Glad Chris is doing so well.

"The first Krispy Kreme store was located on South Main Street in Winston-Salem in what is now called historic Old Salem." (from the History of KK)

• Like 1
  • Useful 2

The Krispy Kreme on N. Person St in Raleigh is big, with a counter where you can sit & watch fresh, hot donuts traveling, on a little conveyor belt with shelves, from the bakery behind the window to the store. It's a great late night place. Nearby is the state govt complex in downtown Raleigh. You can always find half full or empty KK boxes in all the various agencies 😉.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
36 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Hot, fresh Krispy Kreme are the best -- like eating hot, sweet air. 

Absolutely spot on description.

Coming from northern Illinois, I always stopped in southern Illinois for a dozen on my way to dog shows in St. Louis. Once at a dog show in Indiana, a handler had a box full in his grooming area. I snuck in and stole the entire dozen to take to my set up. We hit the original store and others in NC when I was there to eval several litters of show pups. Try being the one tasked with holding the warm box for the drive back to home base without stuffing a half dozen in your face on the drive.

When the Krispy opened here, cars were lined up for miles waiting for their dozen, it was a continuing story on the news. Unfortunately, when all the bookkeeping mess happened and KK Corporate got busted, our store closed. They sell packages of them in Chicago-based Jewel groceries but I've never bought them, although if you nuke one for just five seconds, it comes close to HOT NOW goodness.

And yes, sitting and watching the donuts travel the rollers through the ovens and glaze is indeed high entertainment.

• Like 4
  • Wink 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3

I got the TS of Mitre box.
Sadly, my mitre box disappeared 5 moves ago.

I really enjoyed Ken's delight at the significance of Jenny finding a Matisse while thrifting. 
Likewise his calm demeanor about the DDs.

1 hour ago, HyeChaps said:

The name of the book is The Wonderful Wizard of Oz!

WorldCat shows "Wizard of Oz" as the Uniform Title:

image.png.2f142d29507ef1f4fd8b6a4741acb87a.png

I am adopting Chris as my new Internet son (sorry, Matt Amodio).
Here's someone else's pet bunny I already follow on Instagram:

image.png.bed4034b4f493f524fba0dd50a0b8caa.png

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 1
  • Love 5

Well, I said preventative instead of preventive and then had an existential crisis thinking I have been using the wrong word my whole life. Google tells me no, either is acceptable (since the 18th century). 

I did immediately get FJ but I have to say, I had no idea it was from a poem. I am terrible at poetry. 

• Thanks 1
  • Love 4
11 hours ago, bankerchick said:

when middle guy gives the right answer, albeit in French because he's quirky, Mayim is so flustered, she originally tells him he's wrong.

Or he answered in French because he’s French? His mother is a Frenchwoman although I believe he was born in Germany. 

1 hour ago, SoMuchTV said:

As is “Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland” but I think those ships have both sailed. 

Yep, there is long and consistent precedent for both being accepted.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, HyeChaps said:

The name of the book is The Wonderful Wizard of Oz!

That was the original name when first published, but several subsequent editions have shortened the title:

6E18DC35-C150-480A-AEA3-174FABF5A22C.thumb.jpeg.bce8bb5180c7efbb395f5b1306915e39.jpeg60018A45-AF70-4D72-A290-97BE07F43FC7.thumb.jpeg.47296ed0d9fbc28c9a0372b9fb4dc21c.jpeg

Blame the publishers, I guess.

Instaget FJ for me, which is always a nice way to start the week.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I searched on the KK site and several stores came up; they are all 30+ miles away.

Just for funsies I checked and the nearest one is 128 miles away.  There's a Dunkin' (actually 2) right in town, so if I feel the urge for a doughnut, that would probably be easier.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

Just for funsies I checked and the nearest one is 128 miles away.  There's a Dunkin' (actually 2) right in town, so if I feel the urge for a doughnut, that would probably be easier.

NO!!!! Dunkin's doughnuts are trucked to the stores pre-baked. They're stale before they even get there. The era of "Time to make the doughnuts" is long over. 

I once stopped at a Shipley's in Vicksburg while the power was out (Hurricane Isaac's remnants had blown through town.) and since they couldn't ring anything up on the register, they GAVE me a bunch more doughnuts than I wanted. Nobody in their right mind was out driving around, stopping at doughnut shops but me, so they were happy not to have to throw out their already made doughnuts. They were really good doughnuts. I recommend Shipley's.  (I think they're based in Texas.)

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Everyone is making me hungry for a donut. We have a KK in my city. 
I was able to come up with pattern, miter, preventative, and the Maldives. I was lost on FJ and said: Mountain out of a molehill. No idea why my logic was so off. 

• Love 2
37 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

NO!!!! Dunkin's doughnuts are trucked to the stores pre-baked. They're stale before they even get there. The era of "Time to make the doughnuts" is long over. 

I'm still not driving 128 miles for a doughnut.  That's insane.  I actually can't remember the last time I had a doughnut, besides on Sunday when someone brought homemade doughnuts to church.  Yum!

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

No one has mentioned Mary Lee doughnuts which are very popular in Baton Rouge where I live.  They are sublime when hot & fresh.  There is only one KK in Baton Rouge, and it was closed for several years before reopening a couple of years ago.

12 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I got the TS of Mitre box.
Sadly, my mitre box disappeared 5 moves ago.

You can borrow mine, it's on the back porch.

2 hours ago, Katy M said:

I'm still not driving 128 miles for a doughnut.  That's insane. 

Oh, but no it's not for a HOT NOW Krispy!

• Fire 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I really enjoyed Ken's delight at the significance of Jenny finding a Matisse while thrifting. 

His open-mouthed surprise was a highlight of this episode for me. He's just the best host ever.

• Like 1
  • Fire 3
  • Applause 2
  • Love 6
16 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I also like his calm demeanor. (Maybe that's in part because of the contrast to the chaos that was last night's Celebrity Jeopardy.)

I enjoyed the chaos last night. I think of it as a very different show, and the chaos helps me take my mind off of Mayim.

16 hours ago, Trey said:

Yes, you are correct. I counted the words.  Note to self: always proofread.

Was a professional writer all my working career - but you'd be surprised at how many times I have to go back and correct (even after people have read my posts).

15 hours ago, Katy M said:

I got FJ, but don't think I would have gotten it if I were on the show because I started out saying stone walls make good neighbors.

I'd love a stone wall between me and my neighbors...

15 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Hot, fresh Krispy Kreme are the best -- like eating hot, sweet air. 

I've never had a hot Krispy Kreme, I've never lived anywhere near them. But one year the High School band had them for a fundraiser, and they were the best I'd ever eaten, even cold and not fresh.

• Applause 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, Katy M said:

I've got about five options for Dunkin' on my way to work, depending on which route I take (only a couple are conveniently placed for getting in and out, though, and one is on the wrong side of the highway). Plus a few others I can think of that would be out of my way.

10 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

They're decent if I get them early enough in the morning. The few times I've gone in the evening was not worth it. Haven't actually been there in a few years (at least since before covid), and even then I only went because my old supervisor used to give us gift cards for Christmas so I would stop on my way to work once a week or so until I used it up.

10 hours ago, Katy M said:

I'm still not driving 128 miles for a doughnut.  That's insane.  I actually can't remember the last time I had a doughnut, besides on Sunday when someone brought homemade doughnuts to church.  Yum!

Last time I had one was whenever my boss last brought them in to work, which was months ago.

7 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I enjoyed the chaos last night. I think of it as a very different show, and the chaos helps me take my mind off of Mayim.

I don't mind a little fun but that was just too much yelling and talking over each other for me.

• Like 1