Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 39 (2022-2023)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I got portobello and pyrite and a bunch of others, but not FJ!  I’m an a geography idiot and would never consider Afghanistan an Asian country.  I expressed disbelief to my other decades ago about Turkey being in Asia and she said “what continent do you think it’s on?”  I dunno.  It’s just there, by itself.  Are Israel and Palestine considered part of Asia?

• Love 2
3 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I got FJ! And it was an asterisk!

I am not counting my guess because I paused the clue and started working my way through the alphabet without regard for whether I was within 30 seconds. Luckily FGH is pretty close to the top if you have to brute force it.

The other part of my brain was wishing and hoping that any one of the contestants might by fluke come up with a response that satisfied the criteria but was not the one expected. I know I was really reacting perversely to the qualifier "landlocked" and wondering if  they had done their due diligence to prove their answer was the only one. Apparently Kirghizia is an old variant for the name of Kyrgyzstan so I would have loved to know whether they would have accepted it.

Edited by SomeTameGazelle
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

I've been distracted today, and it showed in my performance; there were more than typical where I knew it, could picture something in my mind even, but couldn't spit it out.  I still had a much better game than Jacqueline; ouch.

I only ran mystery and toys in the first round.  I got all but one in states and ships and missed two each in the others.  In DJ, I only ran "ize" and missed two each in everything else.  I kind of gave up on FJ about halfway through the music because nothing sprang to mind and I couldn't concentrate on trying to think it through.

I still can't figure out who Cris reminds me of.

46 minutes ago, ECM1231 said:

Wondering if they would have accepted 'fool's gold' as the answer? I couldn't come up with pyrite.

Ken mentioned fool's gold, but I didn't take that as being an acceptable alternative answer, just an explanation (since it was a TS) of what iron pyrite is, such that it won't finance your retirement -- because the clue didn't just say "this" it said "iron this", so that's pyrite.

(Grrr; every time I try to type "fool's gold" I type "fool's good" instead and have to fix it.)

• Applause 1
  • Love 3
On 10/3/2022 at 5:58 PM, saber5055 said:

Coming from northern Illinois, I always stopped in southern Illinois for a dozen on my way to dog shows in St. Louis. Once at a dog show in Indiana, a handler had a box full in his grooming area. I snuck in and stole the entire dozen to take to my set up. We hit the original store and others in NC when I was there to eval several litters of show pups. Try being the one tasked with holding the warm box for the drive back to home base without stuffing a half dozen in your face on the drive.

You stole someone's entire box of donuts??!!  Wow.

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1

For WAIT JUST A MINERAL!  in DJ, I insta-got the TS of of mica for "As an art supply, pixie dust is often flakes of this shiny 4-letter type of mineral"——yelled it 3 times!
As a kid in rural Connecticut, my neighbor and I used to hang out on a boulder embedded with what I learned was mica.

But then for "All that glitters may be iron this, once used to produce sparks in muskets, but it won't finance your retirement," I was so (wrongly) sure it was "iron filings."
Get it? Hah. Like tax "filings."

38 minutes ago, Leeds said:

I'm hoping @saber5055 was a hungry, impoverished 20-something at the time (???).
Regardless, hopefully it saved the purchaser of the donuts from going into a diabetic coma. 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 6

I like Cris if only for the fact that he and his girlfriend like to pre-guess FJ. They’d fit in well at my house.

I got hung up on thinking the 3 consecutive letters were at the beginning of the country’s name, just like the example. Therefore, I assumed one of those letters had to be a vowel, so I quickly ran through sequences containing a vowel, and came up with… nothing. And then it wasn’t even the right approach. Oh well, I probably wouldn’t have gotten it anyway. Geography.

• Like 6
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, PaulaO said:

I got portobello and pyrite and a bunch of others, but not FJ!  I’m an a geography idiot and would never consider Afghanistan an Asian country.  I expressed disbelief to my other decades ago about Turkey being in Asia and she said “what continent do you think it’s on?”  I dunno.  It’s just there, by itself.  Are Israel and Palestine considered part of Asia?

Yes, they are.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
16 hours ago, saber5055 said:

His open-mouthed surprise was a highlight of this episode for me. He's just the best host ever.

I’m still so happily surprised that I feel the same.  I was growlingly not looking forward to his taking-over of the helm.  Then, ahhh…he’s really good.  He is actually tuned in for the interviews, and his side quips are the best.  I expected him to be fast on his feet, but I also expected a more sarcastic repartee.  He has a bit of dryness to his humor that can be mistaken for sarcasm, but coming from a long line of stone-faced humorists, the difference is clear to me.  I’m so pleased that he’s aboard.  

• Like 3
  • Applause 3
  • Love 8
5 hours ago, Leeds said:

Really though, in such a situation, what else might one possibly do?  God, they are so danged awesome…(I’m just silently staring off into the darkness, envisioning the “Hot Now” sign.)

• Like 1
  • Fire 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

I like Cris if only for the fact that he and his girlfriend like to pre-guess FJ. They’d fit in well at my house.

I got hung up on thinking the 3 consecutive letters were at the beginning of the country’s name, just like the example. Therefore, I assumed one of those letters had to be a vowel, so I quickly ran through sequences containing a vowel, and came up with… nothing. And then it wasn’t even the right approach. Oh well, I probably wouldn’t have gotten it anyway. Geography.

We pre-guess as well.  We also decide how much of whose money we are wagering.  I too, got hung up on the first three-letter notion, paused it, and made it as far west as Turkey and got nothing.

• Like 2
14 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Five seconds in the micro and your life will be changed.

I don’t know that I’ve ever done that!  As to the original glazed, (only ever purchased HOT) the lion’s share are typically eaten in the car.  The remainder, in short order upon getting home. If there are any frosted coconut or frosted sprinkled in the box, the are fine the next morning.  

• Fire 1
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I am not counting my guess because I paused the clue and started working my way through the alphabet without regard for whether I was within 30 seconds. Luckily FGH is pretty close to the top if you have to brute force it.

That would have been a better strategy.  I was just naming Asian countries randomly in my head.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, PaulaO said:

I expressed disbelief to my other decades ago about Turkey being in Asia and she said “what continent do you think it’s on?”  I dunno.  It’s just there, by itself.

In fact, the peninsula Turkey is on is sometimes called "Asia Minor."

If it makes you feel any better, a small part of Turkey is in Europe.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1

Thank you MrAtoZ.  That will help me remember.  When is someone going to answer Trebekistan???  That is now my go to answer for any of the -Stan countries.  Credit to Bob Harris.

• LOL 11
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I’m another one of you who when I read Asia, stayed in the Far East. 

Ditto.

I knew Laos was a landlocked country but it didn't fit the alphabet part of the clue so I pretty much just gave up thinking about it.

My ts's were Portobello, mica, and pyrite. Just a very ordinary game for me.

• Like 4
12 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I'm hoping @saber5055 was a hungry, impoverished 20-something at the time (???).
Regardless, hopefully it saved the purchaser of the donuts from going into a diabetic coma. 

To clarify, I'd known Kory since he was a junior handler. His mom bought a show dog from me, and when he started handling professionally, I traveled with him and helped him show dogs. I went to his wedding. One of his clients bought the Krispys and Kory didn't want them as he told me when I passed through his grooming area earlier and noticed the box. It was much later when I snuck back and stole them, still untouched because Kory didn't eat doughnuts. That's the whole story, not very exciting but I'm also not the horrible monster some posters think I am.

Apologies will be accepted.

• Hugs 2
  • Wink 1
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 3
  • LOL 5
  • Love 3
15 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I find myself liking Chris more each game, for not really any particular reason. I just do.

Me too, I think it's because he's loosened up a bit and smiles more.

13 hours ago, PaulaO said:

Yep, just as Egypt is in Africa. I think the regions (middle east, etc.) tend to muddle up which continent the countries are on. At least they do for me.

Not a great game, and I was nowhere near FJ.

We don't pre-guess FJ as much as come up with a list of answers that might apply (for categories in books, art, etc.) We do pre-guess categories a lot and are inordinately pleased when we are right.

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

We don't pre-guess FJ as much as come up with a list of answers that might apply (for categories in books, art, etc.) We do pre-guess categories a lot and are inordinately pleased when we are right.

Whenever there's a relevant category, I pre-guess my ex-uncle-by-marriage who won a Nobel in Chemistry. Some day it's gonna be right, right?

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 6
  • Love 1
On 10/3/2022 at 8:00 PM, Browncoat said:

I pre-guessed a Robert Frost poem, but the wrong one (miles to go before I sleep), so when the clue was revealed, I had to get that out of my head before I came up with the correct response.  I just finished writing when time ran out, so I count it as a win.

I also got the TS of mitre box, Maldives, and Tasman Sea.

I'm glad the champ won again.

Do you always write out the FJ responses?  I've never done that, but now it seems like a good challenge.  Does anyone else? 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Do you always write out the FJ responses?  I've never done that, but now it seems like a good challenge.  Does anyone else? 

I don't. I have a little scorecard set up in excel and I just put a 1 or 0 for each clue so it calculates my % correct (and I've only even done that a few times so far this season). I grab the categories from the J! Archive and plug them in before the game starts. I have a separate section to mark whether I got FJ that day for the contest thread so after I update that I clear out the scorecard for the next game.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Love 1

I would never have gotten Afghanistan even if I brute forced letters for 24 hours.  Geography isn't one of my strong categories to begin with.  To me that's the most difficult type of FJ.

Now, the Robert Frost poem from the day before is in my mind the easiest type of Jeopardy question.  They give so much information in the clue the answer becomes obvious.   And just like Niels Bohr is the only Danish physicist, there are only a few poets that will come up in Jeopardy.  YMMV.

Edited by EtheltoTillie
misspelled Niels Bohr
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Write my responses? Heck no. I shout them out! And when I'm soooo off the wall wrong...I shrug in embarrassment (even though no one else is in the room 😸).

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
On 10/3/2022 at 7:29 PM, ams1001 said:

I knew FJ was Robert Frost but I couldn't think of the line.

I said "good walls" instead of "good fences".  Oh well.

On 10/3/2022 at 8:13 PM, Browncoat said:

Hot, fresh Krispy Kreme are the best -- like eating hot, sweet air. 

To me, Krispy Kreme donuts takes like congealed lard.  Yuck.

On 10/3/2022 at 7:59 PM, Katy M said:

I got the missed clue of Tasman Sea.  I got the entire partial category of Titans right.

I ran the Titans as well, but stupidly said the Coral Sea even though I knew Botany Bay was too far south.  I did get Tasman Sea after Coral Sea was ruled incorrect.

On 10/4/2022 at 8:14 AM, Prevailing Wind said:

NO!!!! Dunkin's doughnuts are trucked to the stores pre-baked. They're stale before they even get there. The era of "Time to make the doughnuts" is long over. 

True, but they still taste better than Krispy Kreme.  This time of year, everyone here raves about a local orchard's apple cider donuts.  They taste like nasty lard to me, too.

18 hours ago, illdoc said:

Not a lot of TSs this game, but I did get lighthouse and iron pyrite. Not FJ: I was heading for Tajikistan.

I got those and did manage to come up with Afghanistan in time.

• Applause 2
8 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

True, but they still taste better than Krispy Kreme.  This time of year, everyone here raves about a local orchard's apple cider donuts.  They taste like nasty lard to me, too.

We have one of those orchards, too. They have a window into the kitchen (from the outside walkway) where sometimes you can get fresh hot donuts right out of the fryer. It's never open when I go there, though. (I like the donuts but they're not my first choice. Now I want one of their apple pies.)

My FJ mental gymnastics went like this: Landlocked Asian countries--Nepal, no--Bhutan, no--Mongolia, no--Laos, no--OH God it's going to be one of the Stans--no, no, no, names are too long--Tajikistan, no--Time's up dammit!

• Hugs 1
  • LOL 6
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I do, when I can come up with anything.  Unlike last night, when I initially thought of Mongolia, realized it didn't fit the clue, then said, "Oh well, it must be one of the -stans", but I probably could have sat here all afternoon (I'm just now catching up from last night) and never have gotten it.  I could probably fix that sentence, too, but I choose not to.

Impressive first round last night!  No TS at all.  In DJ, I was able to come up with the TS of Portobello, mica, iron pyrite, and lighthouse.  I do shout out the answers during the regular game, then I write down the TS I get.  I am old school like that.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I’m another one of you who when I read Asia, stayed in the Far East. 

I always forget how many countries are actually in Asia. When I think Asian countries, I think Japan, China, Thailand, Vietnam, etc. When I think Iraq, Iran, any of the ‘stan’s, I think Middle East, not Asia. (And yes, I know Middle East is not a continent, but my brain insists on blocking them out for some reason.)

8 hours ago, PaulaO said:

When is someone going to answer Trebekistan???  That is now my go to answer for any of the -Stan countries.  Credit to Bob Harris.

Bob Harris!! One of my all-time favorite champs. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Interesting FJ clue today, I thought.  I got it about three seconds after the music ended - I'm giving myself the points. ;)  My first thoughts were of East/West Germany but I moved past that because I couldn't think of a famous specific title for a guidebook.

You all succeeded in making me hungry for donuts.  My city makes it difficult for large chains to set up shop here, which I'm generally happy about, but I'd love some HOT NOW.  Our only KK is in a tourist zone I don't like.  We do have some nice creative independents, 

On 9/29/2022 at 7:16 AM, ams1001 said:

Just scrolled through his twitter a bit (until it popped up a box asking me to log in; I don't have an account so it only lets me go so far)

I realized recently that Twitter will let you go past the "log in or sign up" pop-up if you click "log in" and then just the X in the upper left corner to close the dialog box.  Sometimes it pays to be the one who just clicks everything to see what happens!

Edited by 853fisher
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
11 minutes ago, Trey said:

I have never heard of The Green Book. 

As soon as that answer was revealed, I went, oh, DUH. Green Book was a really good 2018 movie with Viggo Mortensen and Mahershala Ali. I should have easily known that answer. *V8 head slap*

• Like 5

Got home halfway through the show so I just started to watch on youtube. This is the first time I've caught that Chris is from Jersey, too! (And I, too, am not a risk-taking person.)

I think my only TS was cornea and I did not get FJ.

7 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

As soon as that answer was revealed, I went, oh, DUH. 

Same.

38 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

I realized recently that Twitter will let you go past the "log in or sign up" pop-up if you click "log in" and then just the X in the upper left corner to close the dialog box.  Sometimes it pays to be the one who just clicks everything to see what happens!

Good to know! Thanks!

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

I always forget how many countries are actually in Asia. When I think Asian countries, I think Japan, China, Thailand, Vietnam, etc. When I think Iraq, Iran, any of the ‘stan’s, I think Middle East, not Asia. (And yes, I know Middle East is not a continent, but my brain insists on blocking them out for some reason.)

Bob Harris!! One of my all-time favorite champs. 

48 countries in Asia.

I just re-read "Prisoner in Trebekistan" and it's in the box to go to the thrift store. They're a non-profit, donating all the proceeds to different shelters & rescue groups.  They just passed their $2 million milestone.  http://secondlifeatlanta.org/

1 hour ago, 853fisher said:

Another work-around hint: If you change your time zone to somewhere in Europe, you can do tomorrow's Wordle today,  Works for Artle, Globle, & Worldledaily.com, too. Don't forget to change it back when you're done playing. LOL

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
9 minutes ago, ECM1231 said:

Didn't get FJ, but my TS's were Henry Ford, cornea, and electrical.   

I've got such a crush on Chris. I think he's very good looking. 😊

Thank goodness I'm not alone watching from the shallow end of the pool. 😄 I thought Cris was adorable from his first appearance. I'm so impressed by the breadth of his knowledge. I hope he goes on a good, long run. 

My TSs were Henry Ford, eyeball, cornea, Viola Davis, and Seize the Day.

• Like 6
  • Love 2

These past few nights, I have been increasingly impressed by the breadth of Cris's knowledge + the speed of his responses on some clues. Even Ken seems to be impressed (or does he act the same way with all 4 game champs?)

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Like 2
  • Love 3

I said Fodor's for FJ, then considered Baedeker, but discarded that because I didn't think that was as well-known as Fodor's.  The Green Book never occurred to me until it was revealed.  Boo hiss.

And apparently, I needed more clues that were eye-related, because the only TS I got were eyeball and cornea.

• Love 1

I loved Francis' story. The NICU he was in as a baby has since moved to a different location (with all of their staff moving also), and that new location is where I did a placement as a student. That rotation is what led me to work in a NICU as a career. We still celebrate when kids reach 1 kg and join the kilo club!

• Love 13
1 hour ago, ECM1231 said:

Didn't get FJ, but my TS's were Henry Ford, cornea, and electrical.   

I've got such a crush on Chris. I think he's very good looking. 😊

Same TS's.
I am very proud of my current internet son.😊

For FJ I thought of the CIA World Factbook.
It's a librarian thing. 
But at least I did know the Green Book when I heard it.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

I did a double, no, make that a triple take when this clue was revealed:

"If you attend JDMS in the agricultural equipment-making town of Moline, Illinois, that's short for this middle school."

Moline is my hometown, born and raised, and lived there 25 years until I was able to get my own house in a nearby town. Back when though, it was John Deere Junior High, on the west side of town. I went to Coolidge Junior High, in the center of Moline. The third junior high was Wilson, on the east side. We all met in the middle four years later, at Moline High. I looked and now they are middle schools. Eh, progress.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

As soon as that answer was revealed, I went, oh, DUH. Green Book was a really good 2018 movie with Viggo Mortensen and Mahershala Ali. I should have easily known that answer. *V8 head slap*

I got FJ thanks to the movie. Glad to hear from a fellow fan. It irks me that it always seems to pop up on those "Undeserved Oscars" lists that are re-hashed every Oscar season.

I found it interesting that the 1948 edition predicted the Green Book would be obsolete in the near future, but the last Green Book was published in 1966. I guess it depends on your definition of "near."

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

Total domination by Cris.

The cornea TS surprised me, as did eyeball a bit.  I guess these contestants are not good with eyes.  I was also a little surprised no one guessed Seize the Day given the neon hint of "carpe diem" in the clue.

The Good Place was the only TV show I got (with more time, I'd have correctly guessed Lost, but I had no shot at the others), but if it wasn't for that category I'd have had a great first round; I ran everything else but dams, in which I missed two.

In DJ, science was my terrible category; I missed all but the cornea TS (I knew bioluminescence, too, but couldn't spit it out in time).  But other than that, I did well -- I ran senators and towns, got all but one in short stories and German, and missed two in roles.

FJ was an instaget, so I rebounded nicely from last night's underwhelming performance.

• Like 2