Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 39 (2022-2023)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Thanks for all those suggestions as to betting strategy.  However, I seek an answer to what @Clanstarling posted.

She said she had a disagreement with hubby over what Cris could bet in order to make sure he would win.  I don't understand how any bet could make sure he would win.  Can you explain, Clanstarling?  Cris had $37,400 and wagered $16,201.  Marsha had $1,600 and wagered $0.  Mike had $26,800 and wagered $18,200. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I would like an explanation of how one makes those bets in the non-runaway situations. 

Double your closest opponent’s score, assume that’s what they will end up with, then subtract your score from that to get the difference. Wager that plus $1.

There are more sophisticated strategies, but that’s the basic one for the person in the lead.

2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Maybe with a different mix of contestants, Executive Assistants to the Principal Marsha or Mom would've at least been one-day champs.

Oh, absolutely. While it’s important to know a lot about a lot, very few people know everything about everything. So much of the game is just luck— the categories you get, the players you’re up against. It must be so frustrating to get a bad mix of one or (especially) both.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

You must not be old enough to remember Johnny Horton's "Sink the Bismarck"

I played that song a gazillion times as a kid, and as soon as I subtracted 48 from 1989 (to get 1941), I knew it was the Bismarck. It also helped that I’m familiar with the dates of other famous ship sinkings. Titanic was 1912, Lusitania 1915, Andrea Doria 1956, and Edmund Fitzgerald 1975.

Incidentally, I also remember a TV show or movie (maybe Twilight Zone or Night Gallery) where the same man survived both the Titanic and Lusitania, and then showed up on the Andrea Doria. I believe there was a supernatural element involved, but the details are sketchy.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, SyracuseMug said:

, I also remember a TV show or movie (maybe Twilight Zone or Night Gallery) where the same man survived both the Titanic and Lusitania, and then showed up on the Andrea Doria. I believe there was a supernatural element involved, but the details are sketchy.

Night Gallery. Episode "Lone Survivor". He's found adrift with a life preserver from Titanic, rescued by the Luisitania (with amnesia), which sinks, then found adrift with the Luisitania preserver by the Andrea Doria (I think it turns out he was the captain of the Titanic, doomed to be on about-to-sink ships).

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 4
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Thank you, @30 Helens.  This strategy makes sense.  I think that the previous post by @Clanstarling must have referred to this situation--how to ensure you will win if the next lowest contestant doubles his money.  There is no way of ensuring a win if the leader gets a wrong answer. 

Yes, I was referring to the situation. @30 Helens gave the explanation my husband did. I am, however, a dunce at numbers and thought that Cris didn't have enough money to do that. But of course, he did.

• Love 2

87% / 63% / 74%

In J! I ran Hair, Waist Up/Neck Down, and Idina Menzel (I've seen her in RENT), missed two in They Make That and one each in the others (only missed 4 clues in the whole round!)

Not nearly as good in DJ but I ran Novels and 6-Syllable Words. 

I did not get FJ.

My TSes were gallbladder, bouffant, and Hershey (there was only one TS in the second round - I got the "horn" part of Golden Horn but I didn't know what color it was).

• Like 2

I guessed FDR for FJ, oh well.

I got gall bladder (since I don't have mine anymore), ally/dally, and bouffant.

The artist category was a primer on which artists to know for Jeopardy: Cassat, Calder and Kahlo.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

As has been posted here many times, go with your first thought for FJ, which was Chamberlain for me. Then, of course, I switched to Hoover. Who knows who I would have ended up with if there were more time to think of more people.

• Love 8

I thought of Chamberlain first, decided it probably wasn't right, then thought Stalin, then tried to think of the leader of Poland and decided i just didn't know that, and decided to land on Stalin.  Argh.  Oh well.

I got the missed clues of bouffant and Hershey.

Not a good night.

• Hugs 1
  • LOL 1

I did not get FJ tonight.  I figured it had something to do with the start of WWII, but couldn't get any farther than that.

And the only two TS I got were bouffant and Hershey.  Not that there were very many TS to get, of course. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
42 minutes ago, dgpolo said:

I guessed FDR for FJ, oh well.

The artist category was a primer on which artists to know for Jeopardy: Cassat, Calder and Kahlo.

Mobile = Calder. Every time.

I got half of ally/dally. Couldn't come up with dally.

• Like 1
  • Love 4

The bouffant and Intel TS surprised me a bit.

I almost ran the whole first round, but missed one each in 17th c. and hair.

But I only ran plates in DJ.  I almost blew novels entirely, only managing to get Fight Club, but only missed one or two in the rest.

FJ was an instaget.  War history is not normally my thing, but I know a lot about the Holocaust and thus know a little more about WWII than most wars that occurred before I was born.  Chamberlain's appeasement efforts failing in spectacular fashion is one of those things.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, Bastet said:

The bouffant and Intel TS surprised me a bit.

I feel sure I've seen/heard bouffant somewhere recently. Maybe on People Puzzler? Just when it came up I had a strong sense of déjà vu.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Yes. If I see the word “mobile”, I’m answering Calder. I don’t even need to see the rest of the clue.

Only one TS for me, bouffant. I should have gotten Intel but I was confused  by the wording of the clue. I thought they were looking for a game.

3 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I did not get FJ tonight.  I figured it had something to do with the start of WWII, but couldn't get any farther than that.

Same here. Just like last week, I started out strong with FJ, then started to sink. (Kind of like the Bismarck, which I also did not get.) This puts me at 1/3.

• Love 6
8 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Well, I said Churchill for FJ.  Should have known better, as I've seen The Crown.

I thought of Herbert Hoover. I know the date was 10 years after the start of the Great Depression, but I thought he was looking back on his presidency.

• Like 4
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I thought of Herbert Hoover. I know the date was 10 years after the start of the Great Depression, but I thought he was looking back on his presidency.

The clue specified September 3, 1939 which I didn't think Jeopardy would do unless the response was obviously tied to a contemporaneous event. I didn't consider anything unrelated to WWII.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, dgpolo said:

For some reason (even though like you, I no longer have one) I didn't get gallbladder and felt pretty stupid, all things considered.

15 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Unfortunately for me "Calder" twitches to "Pollock" in my mind - for no known reason. However, the question seems to come up often enough that I got it right this time.

3 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

The clue specified September 3, 1939 which I didn't think Jeopardy would do unless the response was obviously tied to a contemporaneous event. I didn't consider anything unrelated to WWII.

I misread it as "1929" at first, so I was stuck in the depression, but got back to Chamberlain in time.

It was a pretty good game. I don't know if I ran any categories, but I got many questions in most categories (except for the one personally related to me .... sheesh).

• Like 3
  • Love 5
17 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I misread it as "1929" at first, so I was stuck in the depression, but got back to Chamberlain in time.

I did the same, at first, and said "well, isn't that pretty much every single person saying something along those lines?"

Then realized the date and immediately said Chamberlain. Knew it had to have been someone involved in Munich, and luckily didn't talk myself into someone else (couldn't think of who else it might have been to say something like that).

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

Stupid Fox 45 cut to baseball BEFORE FJ last night so I had to check the archive.  Was very pleased to get it right.

I got Bismarck on Tuesday but not before the music ended.  I kinda got stuck on 1941 = Pearl Harbor, then realized the British had already been at war for 2 years and got to a ship the Royal Navy sank.  Via the movie Sink The Bismarck!, to be honest.

Betting strategy is such an individual thing.  There's knowing how much you can afford to lose and how much you have to bet to win, but's there also your comfort level with the category.  That last one bit me in the ass.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I was fairly certain it was the appeaser, but for some reason thought his name was McMillan.

It has now officially been enough days that I am bored with the current winner and ready for someone new.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
42 minutes ago, bankerchick said:

It has now officially been enough days that I am bored with the current winner and ready for someone new.

Whew! I was feeling guilty about wishing someone would beat him last night. A week of steady wins is fun but after that? I'm ready for someone new (except for Ryan...he was so sweet). 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:
5 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I misread it as "1929" at first, so I was stuck in the depression, 

Me too! that's why I said Herbert Hoover with great confidence.

That's so funny because I saw 1939 and thought, "Oh, 1939, the start of the Depression!" Feel free to point fingers and laugh, because I did.

• LOL 4

Déjà vu...

87% / 60% / 72%

Second day in a row I've only missed four clues in the first round! Ran Science, Sport, and Sharp, missed two in History and one each in the others.

And tanked DJ again, slightly worse than yesterday. Missed one in Pony Tales and two in everything else.

I did not get FJ, again.

My TSes were thorn, smell after three days, home is best, Indian Ocean, and "Jodi Something" (not a Doctor Who fan but I remember seeing stuff about having a female Doctor; couldn't remember the last name).

Edited by ams1001
  • Applause 2
4 hours ago, bankerchick said:

I agree.  He's nice to look at and there's nothing really wrong with him but he doesn't have a whole lot of personality.

A better game for me tonight.  I got the ts's or missed DDs of thorn, smell after three days, home is best, Indian Ocean, and Greensleeves.

Instaget FJ.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Whoa! made it a runaway on the last clue! That was great if a little heartbreaking for Zach!

My TSs were thorn, home is best, smell after 3 days, chimneys! and thankfully Whittaker (I sometimes can only pull up first names but Whittaker came before Jodi)

Also got FJ after starting out on the wrong road out west it just popped into my head last second.

Edited by dgpolo
spelling
  • Like 2
  • Love 2

Since I'll be watching football tonight, I just checked the archive.

It was nice to have a sports category in which all the clues were about female athletes, without that being noted in the category title.

I was a bit surprised none of them knew the "stink after three days" quote.

I got all but four in the first round.  In DJ, I only ran the vocabulary category; I'm usually very good at those.  I missed three in the geography category, which was quite disappointing as I'm usually strong in those, too.  I also missed three in roles, but since I'm very hit and miss with pop culture, that didn't bother me.  I missed two in Tudor and one each in pony and cars.

FJ was an instaguess I, after contemplation, felt sure had to be correct.

• Like 4
  • Applause 2

Instaget FJ for me, but I tried to second guess myself about the title.  Fortunately, I couldn't think of any other title it might be, so I stuck with my first guess.  And now I have a Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young song running through my head, "Said I'm going down to Yasgur's farm to join in a rock 'n' roll band..."

I got several TS tonight, including thorn, smell after three days, home is best, Indian Ocean, Greensleeves, and Scooby snack.

• Like 1
  • Love 6

I said Woodstock. I knew it was in 1969.  I knew it was on  farm and I knew there were a lot of people there.  But, I was in no way confident in my guess.

I got the missed clues of Indian Ocean, Greensleeves and Scooby Snacks.

I got the entire categories of hodgepodge and science.

I had a pretty good night.

• Applause 2

Woodstock seemed almost too obvious to me. I was as confident as the other day when I was sure it was “Gerbers”. Fortunately today worked out better for me. 

In my defense, I am a lifelong shopper at Krogers and Penney’s. 

• LOL 4

When "playing" via the archive, do all y'all time yourselves or self-require instagets? 
I generally watch live or on YouTube, and I could run a lot of categories given more time. 

Woodstock was an instaget FJ for me. I was sure everyone everywhere would get it. Sometimes I can be self-absorbed.
I did wonder if the actual title had another word or 2, but decided not to go there in my mind.

3 hours ago, Browncoat said:

And now I have a Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young song running through my head, "Said I'm going down to Yasgur's farm to join in a rock 'n' roll band..."

Hee! Me too!

• We are stardust
  • We are golden
  • And we've got to get ourselves
  • Back to the garden
       (by Joni Mitchell)

On 10/12/2022 at 8:53 PM, EtheltoTillie said:

Well, I said Churchill for FJ.  Should have known better, as I've seen The Crown.

Yesterday I said Churchill because

• "Everything that I have worked for... has crashed into ruins"

sounded like something that might be uttered by a person afflicted with depression, but it didn't really sound like Churchill's cadence, but I was determined to stick with my first choice, and probably wouldn't have come up with Chamberlain's name in time.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, shapeshifter said:

When "playing" via the archive, do all y'all time yourselves or self-require instagets? 

I always do worse when playing via the archive because I sorta do instagets, I hardly ever take a sec to consider, I just keep moving the cursor. Only on the FJ do I stop and actually think.

When I said before I went west at first (for FJ) I was trying to remember the documentary about Matthew Shepard, then realized 1970 was way too early for him and then Woodstock popped into my head.

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, dgpolo said:

When I said before I went west at first (for FJ) I was trying to remember the documentary about Matthew Shepard, then realized 1970 was way too early for him and then Woodstock popped into my head.

Oh yikes! Very different vibes there!

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 1
38 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

When "playing" via the archive, do all y'all time yourselves

Not with a stopwatch or anything, but if I don't know it quickly, I don't sit here and see if I can come up with it upon further pondering, I rule myself wrong and check the answer.

• Like 3

🎶By the time we got to Woodstock...🎶 I didn't go, but this brings back memories of what life was like then. My sister & her young family lived in the outskirts of town then. When I'd visit, we'd go to the village & mosey around, but we always felt like squares 😄.

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

Oooh, I know something Cris doesn’t! (Greensleeves.)

I also got 3-day-old fish and home is best. I should have gotten Woodstock, but I just overthought it. The mention of a farmer actually started me thinking of Farm Aid, which was obviously wrong, but should have pushed me in the right direction. Oh, well. 

9 hours ago, bankerchick said:

If he doesn’t lose tomorrow, you will at least get a break from him for awhile. Second Chance Tournament starts Monday, and right after that is Tournament of Champions. More people you’ve probably had enough of, back for more! 😁

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

I got FJ. As I previously mentioned (when Woodstock was a answer to a clue) that I went to nursing school with Barb. She is the lady on the front of the Woodstock album’s cover wrapped in a blanket with her husband. She’s an awesome person. 
   Otherwise I got thorn, smells after three days, and Citroën. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • Love 3
18 hours ago, PaulaO said:

The boy in My Friend Flicka was Ken, not Kevin.

I'm still going to take my answer as correct 😄 (never read the book).

17 hours ago, dgpolo said:

My TSs were thorn, home is best, smell after 3 days, chimneys! and thankfully Whittaker (I sometimes can only pull up first names but Whittaker came before Jodi)

Got those, I hesitated with chimneys thinking it had to be something else, but I said it in time.

17 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Instaget FJ for me, but I tried to second guess myself about the title.  Fortunately, I couldn't think of any other title it might be, so I stuck with my first guess.  And now I have a Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young song running through my head, "Said I'm going down to Yasgur's farm to join in a rock 'n' roll band..."

Woodstock was the immediate thought - given Yasgar's farm (the song and documentar(ies) stick in my mind. I wasn't sure if the title had more words, but I went with it.

It was a good game for me, ran three different categories: Wierd Science, Tudor Times, and Pony tales - despite the fact that I wasn't a girl who read pony stories. 

So three categories AND an FJ makes it a hell of a game for me. My standards may be lower than some, but they match me. 😉

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 4
20 hours ago, Bastet said:

I was a bit surprised none of them knew the "stink after three days" quote

It’s “smell” instead stink.

I was just a year or so too young for Woodstock, plus I lived in Kansas, a bit too far to go at that time. I listened to reports about it on the radio and really wanted to go though.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, zoey1996 said:

It’s “smell” instead stink.

Either one would be acceptable (when the contestant said stink, Ken asked him to BMS, because he didn't have the three days part).

• Like 3
  • Love 1