Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 39 (2022-2023)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Not a great game overall for me but I did get the ts's of George Eliot and George Sand, grasshoppers, and loll.

And FJ was almost an instaget so it made up for my poor showing during the game.

• Applause 1
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, Katy M said:

I'm kind of annoyed by just accepting Cromwell. There was also Thomas.

I'm very annoyed.  Especially since there's Richard Cromwell who was also Lord Protector.

Heh, the Jeopardy curse strikes again.   The Mets were mentioned and Sunday night their postseason run died. 

• Like 4
  • LOL 4
4 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

One contestant thought it was the Morton’s Salt girl. 

Which makes no sense because the clue asked for a 4-5 month old baby, not a little girl.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
3 minutes ago, Leeds said:

Which makes no sense because the clue asked for a 4-5 month old baby, not a little girl.

Sure. But I do goofy things like this during Jeopardy frequently. I'll forget most of the clue & blurt out something wrong (to no one as I'm watching alone). Thank God I'm not on TV ☺️.

• Like 5
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1
10 minutes ago, Leeds said:

Sure.  It's a little girl now, but salt is a growth agent.  So, the drawing started out as a baby.

• LOL 13
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, Katy M said:

I'm kind of annoyed by just accepting Cromwell. There was also Thomas.

Me as well. 

52 minutes ago, Leeds said:

I figure he misread "month" and thought "year." (or scanned it too fast). So it kind of makes sense to me. Unfortunate, sure.

It was a so-so game for me, during the first half I missed what the categories were (the mister talked over them) so I missed a few because I didn't know what they were looking for. But at least I got FJ! 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Leeds said:

It's all in how the clue reads to you.  What kept it from being an instaget for me was thinking it was Ann Turner's cook they were looking for - that made no sense so I quickly re-read the clue and got to Gerber very quickly.

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, Trey said:

What kept it from being an instaget for me was thinking it was Ann Turner's cook they were looking for

5 minutes ago, possibilities said:

All I could think of was Betty Crocker. Which I realize is ridiculous.

Exactly, the name Cook threw me for a sec thinking it was the word cook and was something to do with cooking. I h(ad to read it again to see what was the important bit of the clue. (the age, and actually the charcoal). I have the same problem with my Jeopardy desk calendar, all the words are in caps so sometimes I have to disentangle the clue to know what it is asking.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, dgpolo said:

Exactly, the name Cook threw me for a sec thinking it was the word cook and was something to do with cooking. I h(ad to read it again to see what was the important bit of the clue. (the age, and actually the charcoal). I have the same problem with my Jeopardy desk calendar, all the words are in caps so sometimes I have to disentangle the clue to know what it is asking.

I agree. They are often hard to parse, and sometimes I smack my head because I focused on the wrong bit of the clue.

• Like 5

I was so pleased with myself for coming up with Andrea Doria that I stopped thinking it through.  Oops - I need to get over myself!

(He was a nobleman in Genoa who died in 1560 - so only 338 years wrong on that part of the clue.  Pretty close. 😋)

• Like 2
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

My friend and I had to reschedule our weekly phone call to conflict with J! (so, clearly, I like her a lot), so I just checked the archive for tonight's game.

Did the love triangle clue cause anyone else to flash back to Kara's threesome answer (and Alex's amusing response)?

Mike's "frosty" response to the "abominable [snowman]" clue made me laugh out loud.

I got cube farm even without being able to see the picture, just based on geometric + agrarian + office, so that TS surprised me a little bit.

I missed two each in nonfiction and Polish history and one in waits, but got everything else in the first round.

I only ran Broadway in DJ, but I didn't do too bad.  I got all but one in science (giving myself credit I'd have recognized sine) and big and only  missed two each in old words and baby names.  My only bad category was temples, and I managed to get two of those.

I didn't get FJ, though.  I thought it was something ending in "-mack" so I was ... not very close at all, really.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 2

Being a huge MASH fan, I have to call out the writers for poor research (or poor proofreading) today. The episode is called "Patent 4077," as in, to invent something and get a patent for it. Not "Patient." 

OK, I feel better getting that off my chest.

• Mind Blown 1
  • Applause 9
  • Useful 5
  • Love 3

Not terrible tonight: 77% / 70% / 72%

Missed one in every category in J! except Sitcoms where I missed two. In DJ I ran Broadway Rocks, missed one in Science and two each in everything else. Did not get FJ.

TSes were Sapiens (which is sitting next to my bed because I was about to start reading it when a library book I had on hold came available so I read that first) and cube farm. 

Something about the way Cris said "Baby Names" made me smile. 🙂

• Like 1

Since I couldn't come up with anything reasonable for FJ, I decided to say Edmund Fitzgerald.  Of course I knew it was so very very wrong on so many levels, but it amused me to write it down.

And I only got two TS -- cube farm and Big Rock Candy Mountain.

• Like 3
  • LOL 4
  • Love 5

It's funny, I said Bismarck and then I thought "that's not a ship" and then I said Lusitania and I said "that's not a person" and then I landed on Andrea Doria.  Oh well.

I got the entire categories of sitcoms and science right (and now I think there should be a category Sitcom and Science).

Had a bit of a bozo night not being able to think of answers that I knew (such as Lech Welesa). And I came up with abominable, but have to cop to saying frosty first..  Then I got what Ken appeared to think were the harder clues of Florence and Moriah, but missed easier ones.  It was  bit of a bizarre night for me.

• Like 2
27 minutes ago, Leeds said:

I knew it was wrong, but I too couldn't help yelling "Frosty" for the swow man clue.

When that happens in my family we chide the guesser for misleading the contestant who makes the same wrong guess.

Mike did his valiant best and I applaud him for his big wager but it wasn't enough in the end. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, GrannySmith said:

Mr.Granny and I both confidently yelled out Edmund Fitzgerald. 

Yep! Though I wasn’t all that confident. I blame Gordon Lightfoot.

• Like 1
  • LOL 6
  • Love 2
16 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

They say confession is good for the soul. Well, I really wanted Mike to win tonight. He seemed to be having fun & was really good. 

Oh, me too. I loved his glee at risking a True DD and then getting it right. He was relishing every moment of the game, and I was really rooting for him. At least he did well, and can hold his head up high.

I was able to do the math and thus rule out Lusitania (my initial guess), but I couldn’t come up with a warship that was named after a person. As soon as I gave up, the husband said “Bismarck”, like it was nothing. Grr.

• Like 1
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, rubaco said:

Being a huge MASH fan, I have to call out the writers for poor research (or poor proofreading) today. The episode is called "Patent 4077," as in, to invent something and get a patent for it. Not "Patient." 

OK, I feel better getting that off my chest.

Wow…that’s a huge error on their part! Good catch!

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Love 2

Well, darn it, I did the math wrong and came up with 1951 - Andrea Doria! Realizing, of course, that “Andrea” is a male name in Italian - up until watching this game it never occurred to me that the ship’s namesake wasn’t a woman.

And now, I’m going to have Johnny Horton stuck in my head all night!

”...Guns as big as steers, and shells as big as trees...”  What the heck does that even mean? Steers? Like cows...??

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, possibilities said:

It's the inconsistency that irritates me. If you can't accept Ford, why do you accept Carver or Cromwell?

I think he did say Marie Curie, instead of just Curie, but I wonder which way that ruling would have gone, if he hadn't?

I was going to say Curie would have been OK because the clue said “she,” but then I remembered Pierre and Marie’s daughter Irene.

I knew cube farm and Big Rock Candy Mountain, but also said Andrea Doria. Edmund Fitzgerald didn’t cross my mind because I knew that the wreck (and the song) happened in the 70s. It was a good pre-guess though.

• Like 2

That was a great game. I really liked the lead changes between Cris and Mike (although I did feel sorry for the lady in the middle who just couldn't ring in fast enough). The high DD wagers made it really exciting. I could watch a whole week of Cris v. Mike.

• Like 6
  • Love 5
11 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

You must not be old enough to remember Johnny Horton's "Sink the Bismarck"

I don't know how many times I've sung along with Johnny Horton, I've even watched the movie, Sink the Bismarck, and I did the math right.  Yet my answer for FJ was Merrimac.  I don't even know if that was named after a real person.

And no ts's either.

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Hugs 1
  • Love 1

I said Bismarck but mainly because of knowing more about Bismarck as Chancellor of Prussia/Germany.  But, having said that, when I saw the category I wagered (of my imaginary money) $0, so knowing it did nothing for me...

• Like 5

For FJ I knew from the date it had to be WW2 and went straight to Pearl Harbor but as far as I could remember only 2 ships were actually sunk & neither were named after a person and the only other well known ship I could think of was the Bismark and I knew that was named after a person so I stuck with it,

Edited by Welshman in Ca
  • Like 3
  • Applause 4
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, Katy M said:

It's funny, I said Bismarck and then I thought "that's not a ship" and then I said Lusitania and I said "that's not a person" and then I landed on Andrea Doria.  Oh well.

You violated Jeopardy! rule number 1:  Always go with first thought/instinct.  I read this years ago in some strategy guide, and it really works most of the time. 

I also considered Hesperus as a humorous possibility. 

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Like 3
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Trey said:

I don't know how many times I've sung along with Johnny Horton, I've even watched the movie, Sink the Bismarck, and I did the math right. 

When I saw the category my mind process was something like, Titanic isn't a person's name and they just used it on CJ, -it would be funny if it was the Edmund Fitzgerals- 40 something from 1980s something is around the 1940s so WWII, do I need to do the other math...too late, said Lusitania at the last second just to say something.

• Like 4
15 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Since I couldn't come up with anything reasonable for FJ, I decided to say Edmund Fitzgerald.  Of course I knew it was so very very wrong on so many levels, but it amused me to write it down.

I won't lie, Edmund Fitzgerald is what flashed in my mind first.

14 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

You must not be old enough to remember Johnny Horton's "Sink the Bismarck"

Beat me to it! I heard that song SO often as a kid (my dad loved it). And since I did know Bismark was a person, I managed to get it.

12 hours ago, Leeds said:

I knew it was wrong, but I too couldn't help yelling "Frosty" for the swow man clue.

Me too.

It was a pretty good game, though I didn't keep track of what I managed. The mister and I had a disagreement about what Cris could bet to make sure he would win. Of course my husband was right and it was exactly what Cris bet. Oh well,  I've always said, if I were on Jeopardy I'd Cliff Claven it because number strategy and me don't mix.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 1
  • Applause 3
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
28 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I won't lie, Edmund Fitzgerald is what flashed in my mind first.

Beat me to it! I heard that song SO often as a kid (my dad loved it). And since I did know Bismark was a person, I managed to get it.

Me too.

It was a pretty good game, though I didn't keep track of what I managed. The mister and I had a disagreement about what Cris could bet to make sure he would win. Of course my husband was right and it was exactly what Cris bet. Oh well,  I've always said, if I were on Jeopardy I'd Cliff Claven it because number strategy and me don't mix.

I would like an explanation of how one makes those bets in the non-runaway situations. 

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Was it Cheers that went on Jeopardy in one episode and one of them tried to cheat? Whenever I notice those dividers during FJ, I think of some TV character peeking over.

Not sure if Cheers Cliff Claven tried to cheat by looking at the other contestants' answers, but I love this entire 5+ minute clip from The Nanny's episode in which Fran is on Jeopardy! and she does attempt to peek over the other contestants' shoulders:

3 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

That was a great game. I really liked the lead changes between Cris and Mike (although I did feel sorry for the lady in the middle who just couldn't ring in fast enough). The high DD wagers made it really exciting. I could watch a whole week of Cris v. Mike.

Yes, great game, but I was hoping Marsha, the middle contestant, "an executive assistant to the principal" would do well, because Mom had the same job for almost 20 years, and Mom always wanted to go on Jeopardy!
Mom knew a lot the types of facts they have on Jeopardy!, including sports, literature, history, Latin, fashion, art, and pop-culture.
So I felt bad for Marsha because of what she represented to me, but it also confirmed my suspicions that Mom was right to stick to winning Jeopardy! at home.

Still, as Ken mentioned (quoting Alex), poor Marsha was stuck between 2 buzz saws.
Maybe with a different mix of contestants, Executive Assistants to the Principal Marsha or Mom would've at least been one-day champs.

• Like 3
  • Love 3
45 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Was it Cheers that went on Jeopardy in one episode and one of them tried to cheat? Whenever I notice those dividers during FJ, I think of some TV character peeking over.

Yes - Cliff tried to look at what the other contestants had written - after he had pulled a Clavin (betting everything when he would have won by not betting and getting the answer wrong).  

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

I looked up Johnny Horton at YouTube because I wanted to see if Battle of New Orleans was the name of his hit record. It is and the posting that has the lyrics opens up with a bit of a libretto, country style 😎. Now I've got that song stuck in my head. I wonder if this song was ever played in England.

Back to Jeopardy...will Mike be a part of the second chancers next year...or not?

4 hours ago, Trey said:

My answer for FJ was Merrimac.  I don't even know if that was named after a real person.

I think it is named for the river in NH and MA, in case they do "New England Waterways" tomorrow.

• Useful 3
  • LOL 5
2 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I would like an explanation of how one makes those bets in the non-runaway situations. 

Every game at the J-Archive includes wagering suggestions. Yesterday's game is here: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7466

For analyses of some past shows, there's https://www.youtube.com/c/TheFinalWager from Keith Williams, the 2003 College Jeopardy! champ, who was profiled on the official site here: https://www.jeopardy.com/jbuzz/contestants/keith-williams-wagering

• Useful 1