Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 39 (2022-2023)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I got FJ with plenty of time, but doubt Iwould have done so under pressure of show, because it was like I don't know.  Oh that woman from A Tale of Two Cities.  Mrs. Something or other. Debarge.  No Defarge, Madam DeFarge.  

I got the missed clues of canard, Van Dyke, Hershey, bayou, Jennifer Grey and possum.

I got the entire categories of team names, Bible books, haircut and blew it right.

I had a really good night, especially the first round.  I only got 2 right in 2 bits for whatever reason*, but I only missed 2 other clues on the whole board.

*I know I boneheadedly said gladiola instead of magnolia, and I said Pennsylvania instead of MD, don't know where my head was.

Edited by Katy M
  • Like 1

I've read the book, I liked the book, but I never would have come up with the book or the character for that FJ.  It just wasn't on my radar, I guess.  Maybe I could use some of that extra credit from last night's game?

But at least I got some TS -- Van Dyke, Hershey, bayou, Jennifer Grey, and possum.

I felt bad for James tonight!  Such a spectacular flame-out after being so on fire yesterday.  Not sad that Jessica won, though.

• Like 6
  • Love 2
10 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I've read the book, I liked the book, but I never would have come up with the book or the character for that FJ.  It just wasn't on my radar, I guess.

First the shallow. Love! Jessica's top, such a new and different color from all the blues we usually see. Really happy she won!

I have not read Tale of Two Cities but somehow Madame Defarge and her knitting made it into my head, did I read something else that kept mentioning her? IDK, anyway she popped into my head so I said it and nothing else came to me so, yay!

Also got Jennifer Grey, Hershey!, Van Dyke and canard.

• Applause 3

Yay, Jessica!  I was rooting for her.  What a J! experience she's having -- she comes in second, by only $400 with a big score, in a game between the guy who's already won 38 games and the guy who beats him and goes on to win 12 games, gets invited to the brand-new Second Chance Tournament and wins her prong of it, and now gets to compete in the ToC. 

James's reaction to blowing (category pun intended) the Hershey DD was great; way to groan but quickly rebound to make fun of himself, even though he'd probably - and, indeed, had - just tanked his chances.

Like Andre Braugher, Nina Simone being a TS bummed me out.  The reservoir TS surprised me, as did opossum and canard a little bit.

I ran four categories in the first round, but, wow, was I bad in the other two -- you guessed it, Bible, and also the bits category.  I missed three in each.

I missed three in directors, but other than that I was on fire in DJ; the only other clue I got wrong in the whole round was the kill TS.

I didn't even have a guess for FJ, though.  Another book I never read that I apparently also never even heard anything about.

1 hour ago, dgpolo said:

First the shallow. Love! Jessica's top, such a new and different color from all the blues we usually see.

I hated the pockets, but liked the color and the piping (other than on those pockets).

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Yay, Jessica!  I was rooting for her.  What a J! experience she's having -- she comes in second, by only $400 with a big score, in a game between the guy who's already won 38 games and the guy who beats him and goes on to win 12 games, gets invited to the brand-new Second Chance Tournament and wins her prong of it, and now gets to compete in the ToC. 

Yes, it's been quite a ride for her  I was rooting for Jessica the first time around.  It's great she gets to go to the TOC.  Would love to see her play against Jonathan Fisher again.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Overall, a decent game for me: ran 3 categories, got all but one clue in 4 more, and 4 Triple Stumpers. BUT, no FJ. I’ve never read A Tale of Two Cities and know nothing about it other than it was the best of times, and the worst of times.

I end the week 0/5, but I will dust myself off and play my own Second Chance tournament next week.

Speaking of which… I misunderstood the rules for this tournament. I thought there would be 3 brackets played, with the winner of each bracket advancing to the finals and then a single champion crowned. But there are two champions, who are each tasked with winning just the single bracket? 

I don’t want to take anything away from Jessica, but winning 2 games doesn’t seem like much of a tournament. And certainly not enough to deserve entry into the TOC. I feel bad for all the 3-4 game winners who would have loved the invitation.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Someone on Reddit who attended this week's tapings mentioned that all onstage were told to avoid "tournament" - players were asked to retake their chats if they said it and Ken caught himself more than once.  Officially it is just "Jeopardy Second Chance."  I thought that was interesting.  Perhaps they anticipated criticism along the lines of "it's not much of a tournament if it's structured this way."  I can't really think why else.

Edited by 853fisher
  • Like 1
  • Useful 4
  • Love 1
28 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

I’m glad it wasn’t a runaway. Enjoyable to watch.

Why wasn't it a runaway? Jessica had 28,600 from day 1 plus 15,300 which if she bet nothing would be a total of 43,900. 

James had 30,929 from day 1 and only 2,000 going into final. Doubling day 2 would be 4,000 + 30,929 = 34,929, not enough to win.

Molly had 15,600 from day 1 and 10,600 going into final. 10,600 × 2 = 21,200. 21,200 + 15,600 = 36,800 which is also less than 43,900.

I feel like I must be missing something because Jessica bet 10k and wound up at 33,900 which would have put her in 3rd if the other 2 had been right with their guesses.

Edited by SomeTameGazelle
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1

I thought the questions were tougher today than yesterday. James was in trouble for not knowing Hershey's first name. The story of the Hershey company was featured on the Food that Built America on the History Channel.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

Speaking of which… I misunderstood the rules for this tournament. I thought there would be 3 brackets played, with the winner of each bracket advancing to the finals and then a single champion crowned. But there are two champions, who are each tasked with winning just the single bracket? 

I think it depends on your meaning of "bracket". When Ken explained it day 1, it looked like a bracket. Each bracket (each Mon, Tue, Wed is a bracket) consists of 3 players, the winner moving on to the "finals" of the week (Thu & Fri). The winner of the finals moves to the TOC. There are 2 such rounds (this week and next week), so 2 "second-chancers" move on to the TOC (which begins Oct 31). Hope that helps

• Like 1
7 hours ago, kathyk24 said:

I thought the questions were tougher today than yesterday. James was in trouble for not knowing Hershey's first name. The story of the Hershey company was featured on the Food that Built America on the History Channel.

I read his biography. He was fascinating as is the company. Left the company to orphans basically. 

The one thing I always hated about the tourneys (though I guess they aren't calling it one) is the two day finals and never remembering the totals from the day before. And the show doesn't tell you before fj. They do at the beginning but I'm not writing them down. And then I never know about betting and who is ahead overall. I don't know if they just like that and the mystery not knowing or they just can't find a good way to add that in before FJ. They could just add it somehow on a graphic before day#2 final jeopardy. I know they have to wait to add it in because you can't bet day one money in day two but still should be a way to do it. 

Edited by DrSpaceman73
  • Like 1
8 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

And then I never know about betting and who is ahead overall. I don't know if they just like that and the mystery not knowing or they just can't find a good way to add that in before FJ. They could just add it somehow on a graphic before day#2 final jeopardy. I know they have to wait to add it in because you can't bet day one money in day two but still should be a way to do it. 

Before they revealed the FJ category they did show the day 1 totals in this case right below the day 2 totals.

20221022_101032.thumb.jpg.cfcbc85e575fcee4f602a04819790844.jpg

• Like 2
1 minute ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

Before they revealed the FJ category they did show the day 1 totals in this case right below the day 2 totals.

20221022_101032.thumb.jpg.cfcbc85e575fcee4f602a04819790844.jpg

I guess I missed it but can't they just leave those up there during fj?  Or the whole game for that matter? 

8 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

I said Madame LeFarge instead of DeFarge- in my defense it has been almost 50 years since I read the book. 

I think I remember what book I was reading that had a Madame DeFarge allusion. It was The Unexpected Mrs Pollifax, "I think that Madame DeFarge is simply gruesome, don't you" was a code phrase that she was supposed to use to identify herself to the shop owner she was supposed to make contact with. I've read -almost- that whole series (might've missed a few at the end) and re-read the first few many times.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
7 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I guess I missed it but can't they just leave those up there during fj?  Or the whole game for that matter? 

Having them up on our tv screens for the whole game shouldn't be difficult and would help us old people. I mean they can still find a reason to keep Vana White employed on WOF so surely they can do just about anything like that.

Edited by Welshman in Ca
  • Like 1
  • Fire 1
  • LOL 6
22 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Men of a Certain Age was on TNT and I was butt-hurt when they cancelled it. I have the boxed DVD set. Braugher in his tighty-whities was a sight to behold. LOL

We loved that series. I bought it on Prime so I could watch it again. All three actors (Braugher, Bakula, and Ray Romano) were excellent - and I never would have thought that of Romano.

20 hours ago, TVJunkee said:

Jamie in Outlander was all I could think of every time they introduced Navy guy

Me too.

9 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

I said Madame LeFarge instead of DeFarge- in my defense it has been almost 50 years since I read the book.

Well, at least you didn't say "LaForge." 😄 (fyi, I didn't say that, but it was the next name that popped into my mind after reading this)

33 minutes ago, dgpolo said:

I think I remember what book I was reading that had a Madame DeFarge allusion. It was The Unexpected Mrs Pollifax, "I think that Madame DeFarge is simply gruesome, don't you" was a code phrase that she was supposed to use to identify herself to the shop owner she was supposed to make contact with. I've read -almost- that whole series (might've missed a few at the end) and re-read the first few many times.

The Unexpected Mrs. Pollifax! That was an unexpected reminder to a series I loved and forgot about.

31 minutes ago, Welshman in Ca said:

Having them up on our tv screens for the whole game shouldn't be difficult and would help us old people. I mean they can still find a reason to keep Vana White employed on WOF so surely they can do just about anything like that.

Especially for the categories where the words are scrambled. It is frustrating.

I did okay on the game, but sadly missed FJ. I've read plenty of Dickens, but skipped this one for some unknown reason. I guess I wasn't forced to read it in school. I know the beginning, and the end (from famous quotes), but not the middle. Maybe I'll try it out again.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 1

The comment about Jessica only being a 2 day champion, and that 3 and 4 day champions would have loved an invitation back, led me to look them up.  There are five 4 day champions playing in the TOC.  I don't know if that's more than usual.  Only two of them went over $100,000, which I thought was another criteria to qualify.   

If I wanted to nitpick, I'd say Jessica is only a one day champion.  But I like her so it doesn't bother me.  And those are the rules they chose.    

Edited by SierraMist
  • Useful 1
14 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

Overall, a decent game for me: ran 3 categories, got all but one clue in 4 more, and 4 Triple Stumpers. BUT, no FJ. I’ve never read A Tale of Two Cities and know nothing about it other than it was the best of times, and the worst of times

I haven't read any Dickens (I am a Trollope person) but I used to gaze upon the Dickens entries in my dictionaries of quotations and admire his phrases. I did know Mme DeFarge possibly because all of my knowledge of Dickens is at the level of recognizing allusions and not bogged down in details.

I remembered the Schuylkill and came up with kill. Surprised that possum was a TS.  Also didn't know whether See's had any connection with PA (it doesn't) since Hershey seemed so obvious to me. But I was rooting for Jessica so didn't feel as bad as I should have when James got it wrong. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

What the hell was up with Jessica’s absolutely idiotic wager for FJ!? She almost Clavined the whole thing. She was guaranteed to win the two-day total if she bet $0! And yet she writes down a boneheaded $10,000 which meant if the other two got it right she would have ended up in third place!

Now I hope she loses the Tournament of Champions in her first round. If you can’t do simple addition you have no business being there.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, illdoc said:

I think it depends on your meaning of "bracket". When Ken explained it day 1, it looked like a bracket. Each bracket (each Mon, Tue, Wed is a bracket) consists of 3 players, the winner moving on to the "finals" of the week (Thu & Fri). The winner of the finals moves to the TOC. There are 2 such rounds (this week and next week), so 2 "second-chancers" move on to the TOC (which begins Oct 31). Hope that helps

Yeah, I got that once Ken mentioned on Thursday that the winner of this round was going straight to the TOC. But prior to that, I thought there was an actual tournament afoot. Maybe because that how the show was referring to it, until very recently. 

This, from earlier in the year:

"I started thinking about a Second Chance Tournament almost the day I started on Jeopardy, when Jessica Stephens beat Matt Amodio, but lost to Jonathan Fisher by just $401," [Mike] Davies wrote in a blog post on Jeopardy's website. "I thought, 'Wow, wouldn't it be a cool idea to have a tournament where we bring excellent contestants like Jessica back?' Like most good ideas, it was quickly apparent that many, many other people — both inside and outside the show — had had exactly the same thought, long before me. But now we're actually going to do it."

Every article I read about it referenced an actual tournament. But after a bit of recent backlash, the show seemingly dropped that word. (Because it’s not one.) Maybe they originally planned to have a real tournament, but decided they didn’t have the extra week needed to devote to one. Too bad, because I would have found that much more enjoyable. This just feels like gimmicky at best, pandering at worst.

But whatever. It’s their show, their rules. I’m just going to continue to play along and try to get at least one FJ right next week. 🙄

• Like 2
  • Love 1
59 minutes ago, Cotypubby said:

What the hell was up with Jessica’s absolutely idiotic wager for FJ!? She almost Clavined the whole thing. She was guaranteed to win the two-day total if she bet $0! And yet she writes down a boneheaded $10,000 which meant if the other two got it right she would have ended up in third place! . . .

What the hell was up:

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
23 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Well, at least you didn't say "LaForge." 😄 (fyi, I didn't say that, but it was the next name that popped into my mind after reading this)

I also said Lefarge and now I'm wondering if I thought L instead of D because of Geordie even though I got the Farge part right.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
17 minutes ago, illdoc said:

Oddly, reruns of Super Password last week had a "Tournament of Losers" and one of the contestants said that it should be called "Second Chance Tournament".

Did they really call it that? Geez, that's disrespectful.

Did the Jeopardy curse strike??: Q:  Queen Elizabeth II's last appearance was to appoint this woman as the 15th prime minister of her majesty's reign. A:  Liz Truss (who, the J! archive notes, was still PM on Sept 15 when the episode was taped (and, therefore, had only been PM about a week)).

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 3
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 5
  • Love 3

83% / 53% / 69%

Great first round! Ran Children's Lit and Cereal Mascots, missed two in Crunch and one each in the other three.

Terrible second round! Ran nothing! Missed one in News Makers and Plants, two Math and Lyrics, and four each in the other two.

FJ was a near-instaget. Had to double check the category but then the obvious Manly Man Author of the time came instantly.

TSes were osteoarthritis, Carpathia, Boston Massacre (DD), topiary (DD), and Liz Truss.

Ken: Liz Truss is now the Prime Minister.
Me: Not anymore…
Guess they didn't expect their uber-current events clues to age badly so soon.

• Like 2
  • Wink 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1

Archive game for me since I'll be watching football tonight.

I got an odd laugh out of this twist on the J! curse, with Liz Truss having resigned between taping and airing.

I was a little surprised by the Carpathia TS.

I only ran two categories - including cereal, which was a pleasant surprise since I don't eat it - in the first round, but got all but one in three more and only missed two in children's lit, which is always a fairly weak category for me, so I was off to a decent start.

If it wasn't for Destination Europe, I'd have had a killer DJ -- I ran four categories and managed to only miss two in bands (Coldplay, where I didn't recognize the lyrics even though it turns out I've heard the song numerous times [if played an audio clip, I believe I would have correctly guessed Coldplay] and Cake, where I recognized the song but had no idea who sang it).  But I blew that entire category.

FJ was an instaget.

• Like 3
7 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Everyone here should have gotten the Carpathia TS given our frequent discussions of those ocean liners.

Yes, we should have but we (speaking for myself) didn't.  I knew it and tried valiantly to pull it out of my brain but it wouldn't come.

• Like 1
  • Wink 2
  • LOL 2
7 minutes ago, Trey said:

Yes, we should have but we (speaking for myself) didn't.  I knew it and tried valiantly to pull it out of my brain but it wouldn't come.

Don't tell anyone but the same thing happened to me. Oops.

• Wink 2
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 4
4 minutes ago, Trey said:
13 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Everyone here should have gotten the Carpathia TS given our frequent discussions of those ocean liners.

Me too! I've read a book about the Carpathia and one of the medals awarded the crew was a clue in a mystery I read long long ago but the best my brain could give me was Caspian! (and Prince Caspian not the sea)

• Like 1
  • LOL 5
  • Love 2
19 minutes ago, Bastet said:

managed to only miss two in bands (Coldplay, where I didn't recognize the lyrics even though it turns out I've heard the song numerous times [if played an audio clip, I believe I would have correctly guessed Coldplay] and Cake, where I recognized the song but had no idea who sang it).

I definitely would have known Coldplay if they'd played a clip; I was trying to put the lyrics to a tune but couldn't get there in time. (The other one I missed was the Commodores.) I did know Cake, a band whose songs I generally dislike, but I have heard a few of them about a million times. 

• Love 2

It took me a second on FJ, but I actually got it tonight!  Good for me!

I also got the TS of osteoarthritis, Carpathia, unintelligible, topiary, and of course, Liz Truss, bless her heart.  I admit that I laughed out loud at the Liz Truss clue.

• Like 4
  • Applause 4
  • Love 1

I got FJ.  I was a little worried though as i couldn't remember when he died and briefly considered Jack London (who would have been long dead) and stuck with my first answer. 

I got the missed clues of  Boston Massacre, Stephen, and unintelligible.

I got the entire categories of played a real person and cereal mascots right and (shamefacedly) the entire category of news wrong.  I can't believe I couldn't think of Liz Truss's name.  I had quite a few that I knew but couldn't pull up. Guess I'm getting old.

• Hugs 2
31 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Well, the curse of the added letter continues to haunt me with the “The Carpathian”.

• Like 2
  • LOL 3
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

Add me to the ranks of those who should have known the Carpathia based on this board and did not. I think this is some sort of corollary of The Burden of Knowledge.

But I've also probably heard Liz Truss's name 50 times in the last day and couldn't pull it out in time. 🤷🏻‍♀️

OTOH,
I watched Ken Burns Hemmingway recently and did get FJ, but not quite instantly, so I think if I could watch Jeopardy! on slow speed, I'd do fine.

On the third hand,
I did instaget Curious George while simultaneously thinking (he had no tail?), 
and
I also instagot The Little Engine That Could after just the first part of the clue,
which gave me extra time to think: The Little Engine That Could was a little girl like I was?!?!

Hooray for Sadie!!!

And Ken was so wonderful at encouraging all of them, wasn't he?

ETA:
I ran cereals too. When I was a kid my schtick was to sing jingles from the cereal commercials.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, illdoc said:

Did the Jeopardy curse strike??: Q:  Queen Elizabeth II's last appearance was to appoint this woman as the 15th prime minister of her majesty's reign. A:  Liz Truss (who, the J! archive notes, was still PM on Sept 15 when the episode was taped (and, therefore, had only been PM about a week)).

I thought exactly the same thing! Whoever gets the nod next (Rishi Sunak I guess was just announced) better hope he's not an upcoming clue!

• Wink 2
  • LOL 4
12 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I also instagot The Little Engine That Could after just the first part of the clue,
which gave me extra time to think: The Little Engine That Could was a little girl like I was?!?!
Hooray for Sadie!!!

And Ken was so wonderful at encouraging all of them, wasn't he?

I never gave a thought to the Little Engine being a girl. Who knew.

And yes, Ken is fabulous, such a gracious person. I HEART Ken.

• Love 8
11 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

That's one of the easiest final jeopardy questions in awhile. Who else would it be?

Well my first thought was F. Scott Fitzgerald, but then I zoned in on the word manly and switched quickly to Hemingway. Whew. At least I won’t be zero this week. 
   I actually had a good game. I ran cereals (like Bastet I don’t eat the stuff), Europe, plants and math. Who would have thought on the latter. I’d never think I was good in that subject. I also got osteoarthritis, St Stephen, topiary, and Liz Truss. As well as I did I’m mad about the Titanic clue. I drew a blank thinking about how cold the water was. (I’ve been to a Titanic museum and they have a body of water at the same temperature as it was when the ship sank. They encourage you to put your hand in it to see how cold it is. I’m surprised anyone lasted long enough to be rescued.) 

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Love 2
21 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

(I’ve been to a Titanic museum and they have a body of water at the same temperature as it was when the ship sank. They encourage you to put your hand in it to see how cold it is. I’m surprised anyone lasted long enough to be rescued.) 

I went to the Titanic exhibit at the Franklin Institute years ago and they had an "ice" wall so you could feel the iceberg.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3