Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 39 (2022-2023)

Athena
  • Start Topic

53 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Either one would be acceptable (when the contestant said stink, Ken asked him to BMS, because he didn't have the three days part).

Yes, that’s correct. Sorry, I’ve only seen or heard smell that I recall.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
20 minutes ago, Katy M said:

FJ was an instaget.

I got it, but not an instaget. The clue was so convoluted to me I spent a bit of time trying to unravel it, then I looked at the category and Amiens and said Verne. Yay!

• Like 2
  • Applause 2

Wasn’t watching at home so I wasn’t able to keep score but I did get FJ. I figured it was a French author and thankfully Verne was the only one that came to mind. Nice to end the week with an asterisk. 

• Like 4

I was surprised to get FJ, but I'm pretty sure it was only because of whatever the opposite of "burden of knowledge" is...I saw a French place and adventure novels, and the year looked vaguely right, so I pretty quickly said Jules Verne. I couldn't have even told you which of his books was being referenced in the clue.

• Like 6
  • Wink 1
  • Love 2

Finally. A decent game for me. I got Below Deck, and the C* FJ of Verne. I also ran 2 categories. After weeks of only getting 1 or 2 Finals J’s, I ended up pretty pleased with this week. Now my fingers are crossed that I continue to do well. 

Edited by Mindthinkr
I’m so happy I’m not making sense
  • Like 2
  • Applause 3
  • Love 2

Like the champ, I also said Dumas for FJ.  I probably could have sat here all night and not come up with Verne, although it was so obvious in hindsight.

I only got the TS of tone and racehorse.  I knew Below Deck, but I could not bring the name from the deep recesses of my brain in time.

• Like 6
30 minutes ago, secnarf said:

I was surprised to get FJ, but I'm pretty sure it was only because of whatever the opposite of "burden of knowledge" is...

Hee! I think "the opposite of the burden of knowledge" explains how I got it too!
Plus a daughter called during the first break with some good news, so I think my neurons were firing a bit better. 

42 minutes ago, dgpolo said:

The clue was so convoluted to me I spent a bit of time trying to unravel it, . . . 

Yes. That clue did need unraveling; I suspect that's what stumped the contestants:

AUTHORS:

• "Featuring a statue of a man escaping his grave, his tomb in Amiens contrasts with the title of his 1864 adventure novel"

I had zero knowledge of who was in or where was the "tomb in Amiens," but somehow I went from a mental image of Lazarus coming out of the grave to "Journey to the Center of the Earth" and "Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea" by Jules Verne, both of which I read a half century ago. 

• Like 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, secnarf said:

I was surprised to get FJ, but I'm pretty sure it was only because of whatever the opposite of "burden of knowledge" is...I saw a French place and adventure novels, and the year looked vaguely right, so I pretty quickly said Jules Verne. I couldn't have even told you which of his books was being referenced in the clue.

Ditto.

On the other hand I discounted "birds" as a possible answer in the clue about "rara avis" because my brain believed they had already given us bird in the clue and was compelled to try to come up with something more specific.

• Like 6
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

the clue about "rara avis"

I believe I got birds because of the spell Hermione does in Harry Potter, the spell was Avis and it conjured a flock of birds. 😁🐤

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, dgpolo said:

I believe I got birds because of the spell Hermione does in Harry Potter, the spell was Avis and it conjured a flock of birds. 😁🐤

Speaking of Harry Potter, RIP Robbie Coltrane. What are the odds he'll come up in a clue in some way in the near future?

• Sad 9

Francofy, Marianne's word for making something French, is my new favorite wrong answer.

I almost ran the entire first round, only missing two.  (Almost three, as I did something I always do, which is start to say "tibula" instead of "tibia", but I generally correct myself in time.)

Alas, I didn't run a single category in DJ.  I got all but one in three of them, though.  And TV was my only bad category, in which I missed three (cultural osmosis only gave me Abbott Elementary and James Corden; the rest I'd never heard of).

I never even wound up with a guess for FJ.  I've never read any of Verne's work, and, apparently, don't know much about them.  In fact, my primary association with him is the "Chinga" episode of The X-Files, written by Stephen King, when Scully, vacationing in Maine, says of the giant lobster dish ordered by the sheriff, "That looks like something out of Jules Verne."

• Like 1
  • LOL 3

I was distracted throughout the game so didn’t do great, but I did come up with FJ. It took a minute— I tried to think of a title that is the opposite of leaving the ground, so Man Who Fell to Earth? No, that was a book, but way too late…Crawling out of the grave is actually coming out from beneath the surface, so what adventure story takes you into the ground? Journey to the Center of the Earth! Jules Verne!!

Got it just in the nick of time. I love getting FJs that all the contestants miss. It allows me to yell “I’m smarter than all of them!” at the top of my lungs. (Even though that’s not remotely true. But 5-second bragging rights still feel good.)

4 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

You smell, I stink. Eh, we’re both still getting kicked out after three days. 😉

• Like 2
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 6
54 minutes ago, 30 Helens said:

It's a really good quote, as three days does seem the typical limit for having a guest in one's house (it can be more or less depending on circumstances).  And, while the phrase is common both ways, so either would be accepted by J!, I find "stink" a better word than "smell"; everything smells on day one, as everyone and everything emits an odor, thus having a measurable smell of whatever degree.  But, by day three, any given smell may have reached stink status, meaning a strong, unpleasant smell.  Fish, literally, and guests, metaphorically.  "Stink" better expresses the sentiment of something having been left in place too long and needing to be discarded.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
3 hours ago, Bastet said:

Francofy, Marianne's word for making something French, is my new favorite wrong answer.

I almost ran the entire first round, only missing two.  (Almost three, as I did something I always do, which is start to say "tibula" instead of "tibia", but I generally correct myself in time.)

Alas, I didn't run a single category in DJ.  I got all but one in three of them, though.  And TV was my only bad category, in which I missed three (cultural osmosis only gave me Abbott Elementary and James Corden; the rest I'd never heard of).

I never even wound up with a guess for FJ.  I've never read any of Verne's work, and, apparently, don't know much about them.  In fact, my primary association with him is the "Chinga" episode of The X-Files, written by Stephen King, when Scully, vacationing in Maine, says of the giant lobster dish ordered by the sheriff, "That looks like something out of Jules Verne."

I always think “tibula”, always.  

• Like 3
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

The first I ever heard of the phrase was from a friend of mine who was raised in Puerto Rico.  He used a slight twist, “after three days, the body stinks”.  That’s what is used in our house and it’s the one our kids carried into the world.

• Like 1

I’ve been traveling, and haven’t been here since page 11, so if I didn’t say it before, Cris is going to be another favorite of mine.  I tend to enjoy folks that are just so much of what they are.

• Like 4
13 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I had zero knowledge of who was in or where was the "tomb in Amiens," but somehow I went from a mental image of Lazarus coming out of the grave to "Journey to the Center of the Earth" and "Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea" by Jules Verne, both of which I read a half century ago. 

I didn't manage to unravel that - if I hadn't focused on the title of the book, I probably would have guessed Verne (picking him instead of Dumas). But alas, I didn't go that way. I did not remember "Journey to the Center of the Earth" (I never read any Verne, just knew about him)

12 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Speaking of Harry Potter, RIP Robbie Coltrane. What are the odds he'll come up in a clue in some way in the near future?

😥 Him and Angela Lansbury. For some reason, on whim (looking through my streamer and seeing Murder She Wrote) I wondered if she were still alive. I had to wrap my mind around the date of death - which was the same date I looked, and before I heard.

11 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

Yeah, we're stinkers in this household.

10 hours ago, Bastet said:

It's a really good quote, as three days does seem the typical limit for having a guest in one's house (it can be more or less depending on circumstances).  And, while the phrase is common both ways, so either would be accepted by J!, I find "stink" a better word than "smell"; everything smells on day one, as everyone and everything emits an odor, thus having a measurable smell of whatever degree.  But, by day three, any given smell may have reached stink status, meaning a strong, unpleasant smell.  Fish, literally, and guests, metaphorically.  "Stink" better expresses the sentiment of something having been left in place too long and needing to be discarded.

You are absolutely right, it is a "beefier" word, and more apt.

I did okay during the game, didn't run anything. Still ticked at my fruitless thought pattern in FJ. Oh well. It was a very good week for FJs for me, but I really wanted to run the week.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

😥 Him and Angela Lansbury. For some reason, on whim (looking through my streamer and seeing Murder She Wrote) I wondered if she were still alive. I had to wrap my mind around the date of death - which was the same date I looked, and before I heard.

I'm hearing Twilight Zone music!

• Like 2
  • LOL 3

I confess I didn’t enjoy Friday’s game much. I don’t care for games where someone builds a huge lead early and no one else ever comes within striking distance. At least I have the satisfaction of making the same mistake as the superchamp on FJ.

Curious: Has anyone ever done a “Cliff Claven”: built a runaway lead and then blown it on FJ?

• Like 3
10 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

Curious: Has anyone ever done a “Cliff Claven”: built a runaway lead and then blown it on FJ?

Al Franken did in a celebrity game, as did Buzz Aldrin in another.

I've seen in stated in a Reddit thread on this question that a Kids Tournament contestant pulled a Clavin, but I don't know the name to verify. 

I don't know if any regular contestants who've done so.  Another thread incorrectly cited Manny Abel, who did indeed make a most unwise large wager in his fourth and last game, but he didn't have a lock game.

There's a game in which a regular contestant could have cost herself a lock victory via a dumb wager due to her wrong answer in FJ, but her challenger also had the wrong answer so she still won.  And superstar Julia Collins bet a little more than she should have in a lock game, but got FJ correct.  I've seen it stated a Teen Tournament contestant did the same as Julia, but I don't know their name to verify.

• Thanks 2
  • Useful 2
On 10/13/2022 at 3:31 PM, bankerchick said:

It has now officially been enough days that I am bored with the current winner and ready for someone new.

This is usually around the point where I feel the same UNLESS I think the current champion is cute.  I think Cris is cute, so he can stick around awhile.

On 10/13/2022 at 7:31 PM, ams1001 said:

My TSes were thorn, smell after three days, home is best, Indian Ocean, and "Jodi Something" (not a Doctor Who fan but I remember seeing stuff about having a female Doctor; couldn't remember the last name).

I got all of those including Jodie Whitaker's last name.  I loathe her as an actress and so have not watched Doctor Who since she started.  Am looking forward to starting to watch again when the new Doctor takes over.

I also got fish and guests stinking after 3 days, Scooby Snack, chimneys and Greensleeves, which I was yelling at the tv.  The lyrics to Greensleeves were attributed to Henry VIII and were allegedly written for Anne Boleyn, both are which are untrue but kinda fun.

Thursday's FJ as a gimme.

I got Friday's FJ but only by accident.  I started off trying to remember who wrote The Count of Monte Cristo then settled on Verne because he was French and seemed like he lived during the right time frame.  Journey to the Center of the Earth never crossed my mind.

On 10/14/2022 at 6:52 AM, bad things are bad said:

I can hear Alex saying Citroën, all 3 syllables 😄

Which I got.

I very confidently said Renault, and then when that was wrong, Peugeot.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I said Renault, but didn't get around to Peugeot. My knowledge of cars is pretty thin.

Mine is spotty.  I know a lot about some cars and yet nothing about other ones which are even more common.  I credit what knowledge I have to watching Top Gear.  The good one with Jeremy, the Hamster and Captain Slow.

• Like 3
36 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I said Renault, but didn't get around to Peugeot. My knowledge of cars is pretty thin.

Me, too. My friend had a Renault in college. It's the only French car I can name.

• Like 2
43 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I know Peugeot as "the car Columbo drives" and Citroen as "the car Giles (BTVS) drives (at least until he gets the sports car in season ... 5 (possibly 4)" (and '67 Chevy Impala for the Winchesters). So my knowledge of cars is limited to what TV characters I know drive.

• Like 1
  • LOL 4
3 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Mine is spotty.  I know a lot about some cars and yet nothing about other ones which are even more common.

I'm excellent at the clues about how cars work, but the ones about makes and models are where I'm spotty.

• Like 2

ATTENTION METRO ATLANTANS: Gubernatorial Debate starting at 7 tonight on channel 11. J! will probably be seen on channel 36.

ETA: Never mind. It's on channel 11's YouTube channel. It's not important enough to carry live.

Edited by Prevailing Wind

Not a terrible game overall...

80% / 60% / 70%

J!: Ran Common Bonds and Skin Care, missed one in Vocabulary and World Facts, and two in Literary First Lines and Lyrics.

DJ: Ran nothing. Missed one in If At First, Anagrams, and Science Prize, two in Historic Meetings and three Roles and Works.

FJ: I got it! I figured it was a presidential pet and Checkers was the only one I could think of.

TS: things you spread, Diana (DD), relativity (was surprised at that one; "Einstein" and "general" something, what else would it be?), and chemistry

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

FJ: I got it! I figured it was a presidential pet and Checkers was the only one I could think of.

I knew it was Nixon's pet and what they called that stupid speech and I still couldn't get the name in my head.

The one that surprised me was Paul Newman.

• Like 3

I thought it was probably a presidential pet, but couldn't think of any that would fit the clue.  Oh well.  

I did get the TS of kaleidoscopic, Out Of Africa, Diana, and chemistry. 

26 minutes ago, dgpolo said:

The one that surprised me was Paul Newman.

I wasn't familiar with a hockey movie that he was in, so I didn't say anything.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

FJ was an instaget, because I didn't know what else it would be.

I got the missed clues of San Marino, spread Out of  Africa, If this be treason, parsley, Diana, and relativity.

I'm a bit embarrassed to admit this as I knew some of the answeres, but I missed all the clues in meetings.

Even with that I actually did pretty wel tonight, with 4 categories I only missed one.

• Like 3

Of you dislike shallow comments in this forum, just skip this one. 

I was sad when Jeopardy discontinued the closing shot with the three contestants standing with the host, because I played a game of guessing their relative heights before they emerged from their height-equalizers behind the lecterns.

Today, I lamented the discontinuance of that closing shot because I wanted to see the rest of Cindy's dress. 

Taking my shallow self to my corner now.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Love 5
29 minutes ago, HissyFit said:

I was sad when Jeopardy discontinued the closing shot with the three contestants standing with the host, because I played a game of guessing their relative heights before they emerged from their height-equalizers behind the lecterns.

I had totally forgot about that at the end. Another damn you COVID.

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, HissyFit said:

Today, I lamented the discontinuance of that closing shot because I wanted to see the rest of Cindy's dress. 

I'm sure there's a screen shot somewhere of the posed picture of each contestant with whoever is hosting their game. Ken (or Mayim) on the left of the Final Jeopardy monitor (with it saying Jeopardy on it) and the contestant on the right. OneEclecticMom on Twitter sometimes posts these when she want to show a whole outfit. I don't know where to look for it though. Unless someone captures it on YouTube or something?

• Useful 1

So far I think this second chance tournament is great.  I’m a bit change adverse so I wasn’t sure, but I like it.  Giving the folks who came up against the buzzsaws was a stroke of brilliance.  I’m delighted Ken is hosting.

Try as I might, I just can’t endure Mayim.  During the reruns, which I usually like because I get more correct questions, I tried to ignore her but more often then not just turned it off.  I’ve watched one full episode of Celebrity and turned off in the middle of the second.  Between Mayim and the celebrity contestants (all of which were unknown to me) it was unwatchable.  I’ve recorded yesterdays and might try to watch, but in general it’s a big no for me.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 2
  • Love 3

That "Common Bonds" category played like the Pyramid.  Interesting coincidence that came up on the same day the current host of ABC's Pyramid presented a category.

Speaking of - that one was a bit heavy-handed for me.  At least the promo is often for something ostensibly educational, like a documentary.  IMO a football player's skincare line isn't really in the "spirit of Jeopardy!"  It's not like Sony is hurting for money - they even have some extra pharma sponsorship for this tournament.  The clues were actually pretty good - maybe even just one relatively lengthy plug for the product instead of two and I would have felt differently.

Edited by 853fisher
  • Like 6
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, HissyFit said:

I wanted to see the rest of Cindy's dress.

A commenter in the responses to this tweet gave the designer's name. I don't think it's the dress from this line. The sleeves match the blouse, so the question is did she go for the matching pants or wear something else? https://samanthapleet.com/collections/persephone-collection

28 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

Speaking of - that one was a bit heavy-handed for me.  At least the promo is often for something ostensibly educational, like a documentary.  IMO a football player's skincare line isn't really in the "spirit of Jeopardy!"

Agreed. I had all sorts of words when that category was announced.

• Like 3

I vaguely remembered Cindy but not the other two.  I am glad Jessica won.

I got the ts's or missed DDs of things that spread, parsley, Diana, and Paul Newman.

I know about the famous Checkers and that he was a pet of Nixon but nothing in that clue actually pointed to him in my mind, least of all the "used as symbol of honesty in 1952" part.

• Like 3
  • Love 3
23 minutes ago, Trey said:

I know about the famous Checkers and that he was a pet of Nixon but nothing in that clue actually pointed to him in my mind, least of all the "used as symbol of honesty in 1952" part.

I even have a visual in my mind of Nixon with Checkers (don't know if it's real, or if it was during the speech). But it was when he was a vice presidential candidate (Eisenhower the presidential candidate). It was long before I was born - but given Watergate and all of that, I got some familiarity with Nixon's past.

12 hours ago, 853fisher said:

That "Common Bonds" category played like the Pyramid.  Interesting coincidence that came up on the same day the current host of ABC's Pyramid presented a category.

Speaking of - that one was a bit heavy-handed for me.  At least the promo is often for something ostensibly educational, like a documentary.  IMO a football player's skincare line isn't really in the "spirit of Jeopardy!"  It's not like Sony is hurting for money - they even have some extra pharma sponsorship for this tournament.  The clues were actually pretty good - maybe even just one relatively lengthy plug for the product instead of two and I would have felt differently.

They were even answering like the Pyramid!

I thought the skin care stuff was weird - usually the paid product placements are for tv shows and such. I didn't get any of it, because I'm a soap and water girl, myself.

I did okay on the other categories, and started off the week getting an FJ answer. So it's all good.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
24 minutes ago, Trey said:

Whatever I know about Checkers I probably only dimly remember from Dave Barry, but I knew enough to make the connection based on the dates and honesty being called into question. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, CAM said:

Did anyone else see a different episode for Monday? 

I saw reports elsewhere that a handful of affiliate stations showed an episode from the "Daytime Jeopardy" rerun package instead of the correct new episode.  I'd be disappointed if this happened - sorry!

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1