Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 39 (2022-2023)

Athena
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

The only people that tick me off (as a semi-native speaker of German) are the people whose profession calls for them to use the words (for example, the Food Network used to drive me crazy when they couldn't even approximate Knoedle while supposedly being an expert at making them.

The one that used to piss off my late mom was "Stroooosel."

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Only two ts's for me: moussaka (which I made last night for dinner) and frog legs which I will never eat - they look so pathetic and sad.

Went with Indonesia first for FJ but switched to Canada in time, figuring Canada is a large country with big chunks of water all over, whereas  Indonesia is chunks of land all over with water surrounding those chunks.

Edited by Trey
  • Like 3
  • Fire 1
  • Love 1

I got FJ.  It was a total guess, based on that however many square miles being 9% of the country meant it was a big country, so I narrowed it down to Russia, Canada and US and decided Canada was the wateriest of the 3.

I got the missed clues of Elizabeth and frog legs.

I missed the whole category of black owned businesses.

I marked myself wrong, but wonder if elephants are also called cornerstone animals, because that's what I said.

Had a much better DJ round than first round.  Not good with anagrams.

• Like 3

Sheesh...I could not have yelled "moussaka" any louder! It was a so-so game for me. There's only one thing that bugs me about Cris & that's his hesitation before answering. Who else did this? I feel he rarely guesses, so why the hesitation???

• Like 1

Thank you, Ken, for correctly referring to Smokey Bear.  Smokey the Bear is always accepted and I (somewhat grudgingly) go along with it, but I also appreciated hearing it followed by the subtle "Yes, Smokey Bear".

Dan gave Cris a run for his money in the first round, but then Cris did his Cris thing in DJ.  Poor Kate only rang in on four clues (at least she got them all right).

The hair salon TS surprised me, since white hairdressers making a disaster of textured hair is a problem still today (and how many Black actors and models have had to do their own hair or bring their own stylist has received press coverage, so it's not something known only to those affected by it); I liked the clue and thought "style butchery by whites" was going to click with someone.

I had a pretty good first round -- I even managed to only miss two in the bible category (if only they all included anagrams as hints).  I ran sports, O, and lions, and got all but one in the rest.

Same with DJ; I ran ecology and eats and got all but one in spelling (I joined the contestants in being stumped by nu).  I missed three in biography, but just two each in the others.

FJ wasn't an instaget, but I reasoned my way to it very quickly, so that was a nice way to end the week.

I understand Ken wanting to cheer Kate up, but, no the Philippines was not "a good guess".  The country is only 120,000 square miles, so it cannot have nearly 350,000 square miles of water, let alone have that as only nine percent of its total area.  The response to FJ had to be a very large country (and with water within it, not around it), so that was actually quite a bad guess (even though the Philippines is indeed larger than it looks on our distorted maps, it's nothing in the universe of 3.8 million square miles).  Better to just say no and move on to the next contestant.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Bastet said:

FJ wasn't an instaget, but I reasoned my way to it very quickly, so that was a nice way to end the week.

I recalled that after rocks and trees (and trees and rocks) Canada has water, so I started singing and felt reasonably confident it wasn't going to turn out to be Russia instead. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

It wasn't a great game for me.

I only got one in Plazas (shouting Dealy for what was absolutely not Dealy Plaza) by shouting Bauhaus, because it was the only German style I could think of. I only know it thanks to Jeopardy.

Anagrams + Bible = abject failure (except for Methuselah)

I did better in Double Jeopardy, getting most of the literary biographies, 2 letter spelling (Nu threw me) several of the Gibsons (pre-called Debbi of course). Got a few TSs, but not FJ.

So, not a great game. But hey, better luck on Monday.

• Love 4

Rev. Sibley has been doing a bit of cheerleading for Cris on his Twitter feed.  He's a better Episcopalian than me; Cris showed some worrisome quirkiness in the last episode...and I think he'll be around for awhile.  

• Like 2
On 10/6/2022 at 5:15 PM, Bastet said:

It was an archive game for me, so I have no idea how I'd have done in word puzzles, but I'm usually quite good at those.

Can you explain what you mean by "archive game" and why it meant missing a category?  Thanks!

15 minutes ago, Leeds said:

Can you explain what you mean by "archive game" and why it meant missing a category?  Thanks!

When I'm going to be watching football when J! airs (or otherwise unavailable, but that's the common scenario), I instead "play" the game by reading all the clues via the J! archive.  However, you cannot see pictures/videos within the clues (or hear audio clips) that way.  Many times it doesn't matter, as I know the correct response without the photo hint (or being able to see it likely wouldn't have helped me), but with the Word Puzzles category, the picture is the whole thing.

• Love 1
30 minutes ago, Bastet said:

When I'm going to be watching football when J! airs (or otherwise unavailable, but that's the common scenario), I instead "play" the game by reading all the clues via the J! archive.  However, you cannot see pictures/videos within the clues (or hear audio clips) that way.  Many times it doesn't matter, as I know the correct response without the photo hint (or being able to see it likely wouldn't have helped me), but with the Word Puzzles category, the picture is the whole thing.

Thanks!  Very helpful and useful.

Another question!

Why would Cris wager so little on FJ ($221)?  According to J! Archive (thanks @Bastet), he could have wagered up to $4,599 and been safe.  He mentioned something about his girlfriend; I'm pretty sure most women would appreciate an extra $4,000+ over a TV shoutout.

11 hours ago, Leeds said:

Another question!

Why would Cris wager so little on FJ ($221)?  According to J! Archive (thanks @Bastet), he could have wagered up to $4,599 and been safe.  He mentioned something about his girlfriend; I'm pretty sure most women would appreciate an extra $4,000+ over a TV shoutout.

Looks like he wagered the same amount in his first game (also a runaway) and was wrong that time.  Maybe he wasn't confident about the category and wanted to make sure he at least kept most of what he had so far?  I'm just speculating, but as someone pointed out somewhere, he's playing with real money.

• Like 3
11 hours ago, Leeds said:

Another question!

What @SoMuchTV said, but also:

https://www.jeopardy.com/jbuzz/overheard/overheard-set-i-believe-you-are-maybe-one-two-using-your-girlfriends-birthday

• Like 1

Jeopardy Overheard also explains Cris' hesitation answering...basically he says he's sometimes still thinking of his answer, and sometimes making sure he doesn't answer something stupid 🙂

• Like 4
  • Useful 3
  • Love 7
On 10/7/2022 at 9:36 PM, Bastet said:

Thank you, Ken, for correctly referring to Smokey Bear.  Smokey the Bear is always accepted and I (somewhat grudgingly) go along with it, but I also appreciated hearing it followed by the subtle "Yes, Smokey Bear".

2 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Did anyone else catch Dan's answer Friday of "Who is Smokey The Bear?" and Ken's response, "Yes, Smokey Bear." It reminded me of several discussions here on just that topic.

Bastet did.

• Wink 1
  • Applause 2

Add my name to the moussaka chorus from Friday.  One of my great-grandfathers was born on the Greek island of Zante and came to the US at 18.  When my father was a boy, he wanted to learn the recipes, the language, and so on.  His grandfather had taken great pains to blend in and didn't want to discuss the old ways.  Dad loved his family, almost all of whom are gone now, and I know he's always regretted that.  Fortunately I think attitudes about the "melting pot" have changed, at least somewhat.

On to today's show: was I having an equipment problem or was the audio for Roger Bennett's "Gods of Soccer" clue atrocious for others too? It sounded to me like cell phone video, not professional-grade.

I'm very interested to see how far Cris will go.  I don't really have any personal attachment to him but his gameplay is obviously very good.  He seems often to have pulled away in the first quarter of the game - I could use a bit more suspense.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

There were no TSes in the first round! Of the 6 in DJ I got Freedom Riders, George Eliot & George Sand, grasshoppers, and pleurisy; FJ was an instaget.

2 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

On to today's show: was I having an equipment problem or was the audio for Roger Bennett's "Gods of Soccer" clue atrocious for others too? It sounded to me like cell phone video, not professional-grade.

It sounded like he was in a big metal box.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2

Archive game for me, so for a couple I gave myself credit on the assumption I'd have known the correct response had I been able to see the picture, but mostly I either didn't need it or it wouldn't have helped me.

The Freedom Riders TS surprised (and saddened) me.

Cris's (Susan B.) Anthony guess made me laugh -- obviously, he ignored the "escaped slave" part of the clue.

I ran bartender, sports, and mass and got all but one in the rest in the first round. 

I didn't run a single category in DJ, though.  I got all but one in causes of death, but missed two or three in the rest. 

But I rebounded with FJ, which was an instaget.

• Like 2

Instaget FJ for me, too.  I had it before Ken finished reading the clue.

Kind of boneheaded of Cris to answer "Anthony" for the escaped slave clue!  And I'm glad he didn't get away with just answering "Ford" for the Betty Ford clue.

Pretty impressive first round with no TS!  The ones I got in the second round were George Eliot and George Sand, Freedom Riders, grasshoppers, pleurisy, and loll.

• Like 3
36 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Cris's (Susan B.) Anthony guess made me laugh -- obviously, he ignored the "escaped slave" part of the clue.

This is why he pauses so long before he answers, obviously not long enough for this one.

My TSs were loll, Freedom Riders, locust (Ken did say that was ok) and the George's Sand and Eliot.

I forgot to say I got FJ too, not quite an Instaget but when I read it again it was obvious.

Edited by dgpolo
Forgot to add.
  • Like 1
  • Love 2
38 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

And I'm glad he didn't get away with just answering "Ford" for the Betty Ford clue.

I'm kind of annoyed by just accepting Cromwell. There was also Thomas.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1
  • Love 2
24 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I see a wee bit of Daniel Maslany in Cris.  (Watts in Murdoch Mysteries.)

I see it!

1 minute ago, Katy M said:
40 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

And I'm glad he didn't get away with just answering "Ford" for the Betty Ford clue.

I'm kind of annoyed by just accepting Cromwell. There was also Thomas.

I was waiting for the BMS, and are they not supposed to ask when it's a DD? I was also waiting for Ken to say Be More Specific?

• Like 1
  • Fire 1
  • Love 2

Happy for Cris.

Despite being "under the weather" myself, I got the TSs of George, locusts, and pleurisy.
And FJ was an instaget for me too, probably only because Ann Turner Cook (the model for the Gerber baby) passed in June of this year at age 95, and I read an article about her. This game was taped in August, so 2 out of 3 contestants knowing this factoid seems about right.

I looked up a couple of Matt Amodio's games and one of Amy's and saw that there were TSs for them too. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, dgpolo said:

This is why he pauses so long before he answers, obviously not long enough for this one.

My TSs were loll, Freedom Riders, locust (Ken did say that was ok) and the George's Sand and Eliot.

I forgot to say I got FJ too, not quite an Instaget but when I read it again it was obvious.

"locusts" was ok?  I felt like such a dope saying locusts when the answer was grasshoppers (never heard of the farm folks being afraid of masses of grasshoppers descending on their fields, but who knows?) Thanks for this info'...made me feel better 🤩

Had to add: was this an incredibly fast game or what? I was almost out of breath by the end. 

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I'm glad he didn't get away with just answering "Ford" for the Betty Ford clue.

Ken seemed relieved when Cris jumped in to clarify “Betty” while he was waiting for a ruling. I suspect Cris would have gotten it regardless, since there has only been one First Lady with the last name “Ford” and judges have overlooked much more obvious conflicts (such as forgoing which Roosevelt or which Adams), but I’m sure Ken prefers to avoid controversy whenever possible, since he’s the one who usually gets called out.

Instaget FJ for me! Nice way to start the week.

• Like 6
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I'm glad he didn't get away with just answering "Ford" for the Betty Ford clue.

I thought it was weird that Ken didn't ask for him to be more specific but just stood there waiting.  And when Cris did finally answer, he didn't do so in the form of a question; also weird.

4 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Okay, “judges”. I would have very confidently written down “Gerbers”. Yea or nay?

Definite Nay from this pedant.

2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

And FJ was an instaget for me too, probably only because Ann Turner Cook (the model for the Gerber baby) passed in June of this year at age 95, and I read an article about her. This game was taped in August, so 2 out of 3 contestants knowing this factoid seems about right.

It was an instaget for me too, because what else could it have been?

2 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

"locusts" was ok?  I felt like such a dope saying locusts when the answer was grasshoppers (never heard of the farm folks being afraid of masses of grasshoppers descending on their fields, but who knows?) Thanks for this info'...made me feel better 🤩

I knew grasshoppers because of reading (a long time ago) the Laura Ingalls Wilder "Little House on the Prairie" books.  There's a pretty harrowing recounting of the experience in one of them.  (And to me at least, locusts belong in Egypt with Moses!)

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Leeds said:

It was an instaget for me too, because what else could it have been?

I knew grasshoppers because of reading (a long time ago) the Laura Ingalls Wilder "Little House on the Prairie" books.  There's a pretty harrowing recounting of the experience in one of them.  (And to me at least, locusts belong in Egypt with Moses!)

One contestant thought it was the Morton’s Salt girl. 

I knew locusts from The Good Earth movie. 

• Like 4