Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 39 (2022-2023)

Athena
  • Start Topic

37 minutes ago, zoey1996 said:

I saw The Green Book movie, so FJ was an instaget for me.

I did not see that movie, no FJ for me today. On the other hand, I'm pretty sure I got perigee because of Bedknobs and Broomsticks! 😁

6 minutes ago, Bastet said:

the cornea TS (I knew bioluminescence, too, but couldn't spit it out

I managed to spit out bioluminescence but NOT cornea, even though I have severe chronic dry eye and knew what it was.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
12 minutes ago, Bastet said:

The Good Place was the only TV show I got (with more time, I'd have correctly guessed Lost, but I had no shot at the others), 

I haven't seen any of the shows except for the first few episodes of The Good Place but I got all but Lost.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Trey said:

Only one ts for me tonight: electrical energy.

I have never heard of The Green Book.  I went with Baedeker which apparently is still published.

I was surprised, nay shocked, that none of them knew electrical energy.  It was so immediately obvious to me that I thought I must be wrong.  (And I'm an artsy fartsy type.)

The Green Book history that Ken gave was interesting.

42 minutes ago, zoey1996 said:

It’s Cris, no h.

You've just got to love those parents who saddle their children with an unusual spelling that their children will spend their entire lives spelling out for people.

I didn't like them accepting the pronunciation "late" motif instead of "light" motif.  Would they have accepted that as a written answer for FJ?

• Like 1
  • Love 3
9 minutes ago, Leeds said:

I didn't like them accepting the pronunciation "late" motif instead of "light" motif.  Would they have accepted that as a written answer for FJ?

Hmmm...so he really said "late"? That's what I heard but I was sure he just pronounced "light" with a little bit of a drawl. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, annzeepark914 said:

Hmmm...so he really said "late"? That's what I heard but I was sure he just pronounced "light" with a little bit of a drawl. 

I think so because Ken hesitated (and presumably listened to a prompt via his earpiece) before he accepted it.

• Useful 2
21 minutes ago, Leeds said:

I think so because Ken hesitated (and presumably listened to a prompt via his earpiece) before he accepted it.

In English we pronounce ei as long a in a lot of words (freight, weight, beige, rein, reign, etc) so it seems consistent with their guidelines to accept it. 

For FJ the date didn't automatically lead me to the US so I was thinking of post-War Europe and the creation of Israel. 

• Like 5
  • Love 4
9 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I haven't seen any of the shows except for the first few episodes of The Good Place but I got all but Lost.

Sometimes cultural osmosis is surprisingly effective and I can run an entire category of shows I've never seen, but not this time.  Rough landing + 2004 would have led me to guess Lost if I'd had just a little more time to ponder, given how much attention that show got at the time.  But I know absolutely nothing about Ted Lasso other than it exists so nothing in that clue pointed me to it.  I do remember learning The Mandalorian is a Star Wars thing, but I have zero interest in all things SW (I've tried three times in my life to watch the original film and could never once make it through), so that didn't stick; with a good deal more time, that probably would have come to me.  And I've of course heard of Breaking Bad, but all I know is it was a Vince Gilligan (one of my favorite X-Files writers) show starring Bryan Cranston about a drug dealer named Walter White; I didn't even know it had a sequel, let alone what that was called.

• Applause 1

Am I the only person who thinks Scott (I think) from Monday was robbed?  In FJ, it looked like he did write “neighbors,” it was just squished.  But I saw the whole word.  I don’t remember if he would have even wagered enough, or had enough to win but still!

Edited by heatherchandler
8 hours ago, Leeds said:

The spelling is leitmotif - so neither “late” or “light” are strictly accurate but as it is a word borrowed from another language (German in this case) they are allowing some (IMO appropriate) variation in pronunciation. There are often cases where people have seen the word but never heard it pronounced and therefore don’t get the pronunciation quite right, but it is still accepted. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, heatherchandler said:

Am I the only person who thinks Scott (I think) from Monday was robbed?  In FJ, it looked like he did write “neighbors,” it was just squished.  But I saw the whole word.  I don’t remember if he would have even wagered enough, or had enough to win but still!

I can't remember what the answer looked like but he would have been in 3rd place either way.  He had 4,400 and bet it all, so getting it right would have been 8800.  The other two contestants ended up with 33,800 and 17,600. It didn't affect the outcome at all.

• Applause 1
  • Useful 1
8 hours ago, Bastet said:

Sometimes cultural osmosis is surprisingly effective and I can run an entire category of shows I've never seen, but not this time.  Rough landing + 2004 would have led me to guess Lost if I'd had just a little more time to ponder, given how much attention that show got at the time.  But I know absolutely nothing about Ted Lasso other than it exists so nothing in that clue pointed me to it.  I do remember learning The Mandalorian is a Star Wars thing, but I have zero interest in all things SW (I've tried three times in my life to watch the original film and could never once make it through), so that didn't stick; with a good deal more time, that probably would have come to me.  And I've of course heard of Breaking Bad, but all I know is it was a Vince Gilligan (one of my favorite X-Files writers) show starring Bryan Cranston about a drug dealer named Walter White; I didn't even know it had a sequel, let alone what that was called.

I knew Ted Lasso is about a soccer coach (I actually want to watch it but haven't gotten around to it yet). The Mandalorian was mostly a guess based on Star Wars, "title character," and my knowing it's a TV show (thanks to a plethora of Baby Yoda memes), I knew Breaking Bad had a sequel. And even if I'd never seen any of The Good Place, I've heard the actor who plays Chidi on a podcast so I would have recognized the character name. 

I could not have named a single character from Lost and I have not seen more than a few minutes of one episode (my parents were watching it when I was staying at their house for a bit; what I saw made zero sense and didn't make me want to watch more so I went back to the other room).

1 hour ago, Katy M said:

I can't remember what the answer looked like but he would have been in 3rd place either way.  He had 4,400 and bet it all, so getting it right would have been 8800.  The other two contestants ended up with 33,800 and 17,600. It didn't affect the outcome at all.

I’m glad it didn’t make a difference, money/winning-wise.  I still think he should have gotten credit for getting it right, just because I do see the whole word.

1 hour ago, secnarf said:

The spelling is leitmotif - so neither “late” or “light” are strictly accurate but as it is a word borrowed from another language (German in this case) they are allowing some (IMO appropriate) variation in pronunciation. There are often cases where people have seen the word but never heard it pronounced and therefore don’t get the pronunciation quite right, but it is still accepted. 

I think in FJ they would have accepted a written answer of light- or lite- motif but not latemotif.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I think in FJ they would have accepted a written answer of light- or lite- motif but not latemotif.

Probably leet- also.

1 hour ago, heatherchandler said:

just because I do see the whole word.

I just looked and after 'good' I see 7 squiggles that could be anything, since 'neighbors' has 9 letters I think it was a good call not to give it to him.

16 hours ago, saber5055 said:

As soon as that answer was revealed, I went, oh, DUH. Green Book was a really good 2018 movie with Viggo Mortensen and Mahershala Ali. I should have easily known that answer. *V8 head slap*

I saw the movie, but totally forgot about it - even when my husband said (when I shrugged and gave up) The Green Book. I misunderstood, thinking the Blue Book and wondered why anyone would think guides about used car prices would go away.

15 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Another work-around hint: If you change your time zone to somewhere in Europe, you can do tomorrow's Wordle today,  Works for Artle, Globle, & Worldledaily.com, too. Don't forget to change it back when you're done playing. LOL

My husband does that. But I prefer to do it in the morning as part of my routine. My mind is fresher (which explains some of my inadequacy when it comes to Jeopardy)

14 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Same TS's.
I am very proud of my current internet son.😊

For FJ I thought of the CIA World Factbook.
It's a librarian thing. 
But at least I did know the Green Book when I heard it.

Ah, back when you learned about real reference books and didn't just Google. I loved my reference book class, and my reference librarian internship.  Learning how to do a reference interview helped me when I became a technical writer.

14 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I found it interesting that the 1948 edition predicted the Green Book would be obsolete in the near future, but the last Green Book was published in 1966. I guess it depends on your definition of "near."

We thought of it as a hopeful prediction, which unfortunately took longer than they hoped. Perhaps this was after Truman integrated the armed services. The date is about right.

12 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I heard "li...et" a two syllable version of the word.

12 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

In English we pronounce ei as long a in a lot of words (freight, weight, beige, rein, reign, etc) so it seems consistent with their guidelines to accept it. 

For FJ the date didn't automatically lead me to the US so I was thinking of post-War Europe and the creation of Israel. 

German vowel rules are opposite English, and are "when two vowels go a-walking, the second one does the talking" rule. (for the most part). So lite, or light, is closer to the pronunciation. I totally would have said everything in my Salzburg/German accent and ticked off some watchers.

1948 took me to the partition too, but there was no guide I could think of.

I got plenty of clues, but no runs and no FJ. Just another average day on the sofa.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 5

I don’t know why but I’m still stuck on this, I see “neighbors” but most of the letters are squiggly lines.  And looking at the other words, I think he just has terrible handwriting in general, but he knows the answer.  Maybe they should be allowed to type the answer if they can’t get the “writing on screen” down.

ECC2FEB3-AE42-41FD-8689-046795C914F9.jpeg

Edited by heatherchandler
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

I totally would have said everything in my Salzburg/German accent and ticked off some watchers.

Especially watchers of Celebrity Jeopardy.

I see “neighbors”

I see "mists." Not even close.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

I don’t know why but I’m still stuck on this, I see “neighbors” but most of the letters are squiggly lines.  And looking at the other words, I think he just has terrible handwriting in general, but he knows the answer.  Maybe they should be allowed to type the answer if they can’t get the “writing on screen” down.

ECC2FEB3-AE42-41FD-8689-046795C914F9.jpeg

Be honest.  If you didn't know what the answer was supposed to be, and didn't have the rest of the words for context, would you really see neighbors?  I see mists.  

I kind of feel like they should have keyboards instead of writing to eliminate messy handwriting misreads, but you yourself say squiggles. Squiggles aren't letters.  That is illegible.  Should not be deemed correct.

• Like 2
  • Love 3

FJ was an instaget for me. I did see Green Book the movie, but I'd first learned of The Green Book itself, from reading the brilliant book, The Warmth of Other Suns by Isabel Wilkerson. It tells the story of the Great Migration of more than six million African Americans to escape from the Jim Crow South to cities in the Northeast, Midwest and West in the early to mid twentieth century. I highly recommend it.

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

German vowel rules are opposite English, and are "when two vowels go a-walking, the second one does the talking" rule. (for the most part). So lite, or light, is closer to the pronunciation.

I can absolutely understand that Jeopardy would not expect contestants to know all pronunciations, especially of words of foreign origin.

My favourite is äu (which for the non-German speakers is pronounced the same as German eu and sounds like oy). I never knew until I took German and they revealed the secrets of the umlaut why Frau was pronounced Frow as in cow but Fräulein was Froyline. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 4
1 hour ago, dgpolo said:

I see 'nights'. Maybe. If I'm being generous.

I see "mutts."

5 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I could not have named a single character from Lost and I have not seen more than a few minutes of one episode (my parents were watching it when I was staying at their house for a bit; what I saw made zero sense and didn't make me want to watch more so I went back to the other room).

I watched Lost in the beginning, but when they found that series of numbers, I got disgusted and quit. 4 of those numbers are 4 of the numbers I use in picking my lottery ticket. I figured a lot more people were gonna be using them in the lotto picks, so if I *did* win something, I'd have to share it with a bunch of people.  (The game I play gives you $50 if you have 4 of the 6 numbers.)  The only name I remember is Hurley, who was the fat guy. By the time they found the numbers, it was getting beyond dumb and I felt bad for all the hours I had previously wasted.

• Like 4
12 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I see "mutts."

LOL! No comment.

I loved Lost. It came on Wednesday nights when I had dog-training classes so I missed some. But Desmond is on Big Sky right now, and Hurley was a regular on the last four seasons of the Hawaii Five-O reboot. You know, in case any of those characters show upon Jeopardy. Oh, Desmond was also a bad guy on one H5O episode and Star Trek's Sulu, George Takei, shows up on a few episodes.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Why the hell doesn't (Drew) Barrymore get a BMS from Ken but Sen. (Joe) McCarthy get one in the same DJ round?!?!? There is more than one female Barrymore actress in that dynasty, and while Ethel wouldn't likely star in a 1990s teen romcom, it still stands!!!! Ugh....

🤪

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Katy M said:

Be honest.  If you didn't know what the answer was supposed to be, and didn't have the rest of the words for context, would you really see neighbors?  I see mists.  

I kind of feel like they should have keyboards instead of writing to eliminate messy handwriting misreads, but you yourself say squiggles. Squiggles aren't letters.  That is illegible.  Should not be deemed correct.

It’s definitely a mess, and yeah without context I wouldn’t have a clue what the word would be. But I think since he knew the answer, and kinda-sorta wrote it, maybe the best he could, he should get it.  Not that it makes a difference.  But I liked him.  But I guess I have to let it go 😀

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, heatherchandler said:

But I think since he knew the answer, and kinda-sorta wrote it,

Sorry, but OMG that would open up SUCH a can of worms!

Someone on twitter said that if they didn't get the answer until they only had 15 seconds left they should be allowed to finish writing it. Really? What if there's only 5 seconds left when you 'get' it, What if you get it as soon as the buzzer goes? Oh, I just got it, give me a sec to write it down? That's just not how it works.

Edited by dgpolo
ETA
  • Applause 4
  • Love 2
18 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

These past few nights, I have been increasingly impressed by the breadth of Cris's knowledge + the speed of his responses on some clues. Even Ken seems to be impressed (or does he act the same way with all 4 game champs?)

I think Ken was the most impressed I've ever seen him--by far--when Cris correctly answered this clue from last night: Seen here is an illustration from 1543's "On the Structure of the Human Body" published by this Flemish anatomist.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3

Knowing the correct response to FJ is only the first part of the challenge; the second is writing it down (legibly) in time.  He failed that second prong, so it was - quite rightly - not accepted. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Love 4

Ran Books & Authors and Pretty Crafty. I missed two word puzzles because I got distracted and didn't look up in time (I'm sure I would have at least gotten touchdown). TSes were Humpty Hump, quarks, and Misty Copeland. FJ was an instaget.

5 hours ago, ProudMary said:

FJ was an instaget for me. I did see Green Book the movie, but I'd first learned of The Green Book itself, from reading the brilliant book, The Warmth of Other Suns by Isabel Wilkerson. It tells the story of the Great Migration of more than six million African Americans to escape from the Jim Crow South to cities in the Northeast, Midwest and West in the early to mid twentieth century. I highly recommend it.

Thanks to your post I got that clue tonight! (Well, I think I would have anyway but I probably got it quicker.)

• Like 3
  • Fire 1
  • Love 1

Instaget FJ for me tonight.  I am gobsmacked that the end guy didn't get it!  He seemed pretty knowledgeable about a lot of stuff.  Maybe he thought it was too obvious and easy and overthought it?

I only got three TS -- Devon, quarks, and Misty Copeland.  I also got a phone call in the middle of DJ, and I answered the phone, "I can't believe you're calling me in the middle of Jeopardy!"  It was a short call, but I did miss out on a few clues.

• Like 3
  • LOL 2

I did pretty good (for me) in the first round, got all of Crafts and Word Puzzles and all but one in Books, and all but one in DJ of UK Geography.

Got the TSs of Devon, Penny Ante and Devon. And I kept thinking, didn't they just have a quark question? it must be something else.

ETA: got FJ too.

Edited by dgpolo
ETA
  • Like 2
  • Applause 1

It was an archive game for me, so I have no idea how I'd have done in word puzzles, but I'm usually quite good at those.

Then again, maybe I'd have missed two, as I did in every first round category other than crafty, which I ran. 

It was the rare game where I do better in DJ; I missed two in roles, one in the arts, and ran everything else.

FJ was an instaget.

Unlike the contestants, I knew Humpty Hump, and now that song is in my head.

• LOL 2
52 minutes ago, dgpolo said:

And I kept thinking, didn't they just have a quark question?

Yes, they've had a couple quark clues/answers recently and if I remember correctly, they have all been TSs.

Maybe one day they will ask for the name of the person who runs the bar on Star Trek DS9. Score!

• Like 1
  • LOL 4

I did run PRETTY CRAFTY, but only because I have been pretty very crafty since early childhood (e.g., paper maché puppet heads, Crewel embroidery, folded construction paper cities under Captain Kangaroo's tutelage, etc. etc.).

No TSs for me, but I was whisper-yelling at Cris "AFL-CIO" for the UNION PEOPLE DD of "In 2021 Teachers' Union head Randi Weingarten seconded the nomination when Liz Shuler became this federation's first female pres."
In hindsight, I have no idea how I knew it.

I finally got a FJ. 
I was surprised Jeff didn't guess Desmond Tutu as the NOBEL PEACE PRIZE WINNER who "served as Bishop of Lesotho from 1976 to 1978," especially since Jeff rang in on a lot of the clues I knew. Jeff is the kind of player that makes me wish runners up could come back for the next day, especially now that it seems multi-day champions are the norm.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Like several others, it seems, I ran Books & Authors and Crafty. I guess we know where our strengths are! I am good at word puzzles and probably would have gotten most of those, but I was making dinner and kept forgetting to look up. I did see (and get) afternoon tea and cornerstone. Missed Gone Girl, even though I’ve read it— my mind went to Girl, Interrupted.

Instaget FJ for me. (Yay!)

Edited by 30 Helens
  • Like 2
  • Love 2
25 minutes ago, M. Darcy said:

IMO, that was way too easy a question for FJ.  

There have been a number of "way too easy" FJs lately. And too easy clues (e g., senators). Maybe this has been a way to boost their ratings. Years ago, Jeopardy was a lot more difficult, IMO.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

There have been a number of "way too easy" FJs lately. And too easy clues (e g., senators). Maybe this has been a way to boost their ratings. Years ago, Jeopardy was a lot more difficult, IMO.

That was my first FJ of the week so I guess easier is relative.

• Like 4
  • Love 2
52 minutes ago, Welshman in Ca said:

That was my first FJ of the week so I guess easier is relative.

I didn't mean to sound like I get all the FJ's--egads, no way!! But FJ's in the past were *always* tough. These days, it seems like they're always popping in an "easy get" at least once a week.

• Like 1

Way more TS tonight than I expected there to be. Until now, I thought Cris knew everything.

Are the contestants getting more likable, or am I just less cranky than I used to be? 

I think, as we get older, we know more things, so questions look easier. 

Edited by possibilities
  • Like 3
  • Love 1
22 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I can absolutely understand that Jeopardy would not expect contestants to know all pronunciations, especially of words of foreign origin.

My favourite is äu (which for the non-German speakers is pronounced the same as German eu and sounds like oy). I never knew until I took German and they revealed the secrets of the umlaut why Frau was pronounced Frow as in cow but Fräulein was Froyline. 

Absolutely, I don't have a problem with people mangling a pronunciation as long as it's identifiable. The only people that tick me off (as a semi-native speaker of German) are the people whose profession calls for them to use the words (for example, the Food Network used to drive me crazy when they couldn't even approximate Knoedle while supposedly being an expert at making them.

18 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Wow, shout out.

I know, right? I got it because of that. There's an outside chance I would have gotten it as I have heard of it separately from the book, but only an outside chance.

15 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Instaget FJ for me tonight.  I am gobsmacked that the end guy didn't get it!  He seemed pretty knowledgeable about a lot of stuff.  Maybe he thought it was too obvious and easy and overthought it?

Instant for me too - Lesotho, Bishop = Desmond Tutu

14 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I finally got a FJ.

Me too, it's been a rough week FJ wise for me.

2 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

IMO, that was way too easy a question for FJ. 

It might be, but I was glad of it.

1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

Senators is absolutely not an easy category for me - I retain the names of a few who are always in the news, and then there are the ones whose faces I remember but I don't care for them so they slip through my mind. Actually, this year I probably can name more senators than I used to back in the day.

It's all in what you know. And what I know is that I used to get way more clues and FJs years ago than I do now. So mileage varies.

I ran Crafts - I'm not a crafter but my daughter is an artist and experiments with all sorts of crafts.

A decent game, and I got an FJ finally. So it was fun.

• Love 4
19 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Wow, shout out.

17 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Thanks to your post I got that clue tonight! (Well, I think I would have anyway but I probably got it quicker.)

2 hours ago, Trey said:

I took that as a shoutout to us when the Great Migration clue came up.

52 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I know, right? I got it because of that. There's an outside chance I would have gotten it as I have heard of it separately from the book, but only an outside chance.

I always call out my responses while watching, even if I'm the only person in the room. When I heard that clue, I couldn't get "migration" out of my mouth; I was shocked speechless by my timing! 😄

It truly is a fantastic book; non-fiction that reads like a novel. 

Edited by ProudMary
  • Fire 3
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2