Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 39 (2022-2023)

Athena
  • Start Topic

10 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I did notice she was right on top of that. I had been wondering if she put in the hours preparing the way Alex did and it's a reasonable conclusion that she doesn't, for whatever reason.

Okay game for me. I was surprised at the "hallowed" ts, but then again, it does (to me) seem to be an intimate part of an actual service, and not everyone goes to a christian church.

I did get FJ. A downstairs neighbor played the (expletive deleted) SNF album endlessly so I got to hate the songs (I've mellowed since). Didn't even think of Grease. It was the first professional theater play I ever saw (at the ACT in SF), but by the time the movie came along, I'd realized what a terrible message it had and wasn't interested in seeing it.

I had both soundtrack albums and knew every song. I think the movies are terrible but the music is still great.

• Like 4

This was another game of listening while I make dinner, so couldn’t pay super close attention, but I thought they did much better than in recent games. (It’s a very low bar, though.) I was rooting for doctor guy on the end, because he seemed to be doing pretty well and I thought it was time for Suresh’s easy ride to end. Seemed like I barely heard from Middle Woman, so her win was a surprise.

I know some of the main Star Trek characters, but I’ve never seen the show, so I was never going to get that. I briefly considered Hogan’s Heroes, but I got stuck on trying to think of a character from Get Smart. (Wasn’t there a Russian double agent or something?) I know nothing of Man from UNCLE other than the title, so that wasn’t even a consideration.

4 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

But then the Republicans were actually progressive at the time, compared to now in particular.  It's all very confusing.  Teddy certainly wouldn't be a current day republican.  Heck Reagan probably wouldn't be a current day republican. 

Whatever you call him was a great president. 

Teddy is my favorite president of all time. 

My sister, a diehard Republican, is dismayed that none of her siblings have followed in our father’s Republican footsteps. She thinks he’d be sad about that. I disagree. I am sure that, if alive, he’d very much be a Democrat now. Things have shifted so much, especially in the last few decades. 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, 30 Helens said:

This was another game of listening while I make dinner, so couldn’t pay super close attention, but I thought they did much better than in recent games. (It’s a very low bar, though.) I was rooting for doctor guy on the end, because he seemed to be doing pretty well and I thought it was time for Suresh’s easy ride to end. Seemed like I barely heard from Middle Woman, so her win was a surprise.

Not really - there were 11 TSs in the J round and 4 TSs and a missed DD in DJ.

• Like 3
(edited)

If I ever had any doubts that I had found my people in this forum, all the Illya love shown here puts them to rest. Illya Kuryakin was my one true love. I think I ended up on an FBI watch list because of all the books and magazines about Russia I read. I even took Russian in college because of him.

That being said, his name never even occurred to me. My other great teen age obsession was Spock and all things Star Trek and among the many obscure facts stuck in my head was the quote from Gene Roddenberry about adding a Russian character to show that we all got along in the future. 

Edited by Good Queen Jane
  • Like 12
  • Love 1

An okay game for me.

I got the ts's of Calgary, Mt. Logan, Memorial Day, spa, Rimsky Korsakov, Jarlsberg, and the missed DD of Don Juan.

Yet another Illya Kuryakin here.  Although I started to doubt it as the thirty seconds went on, as I remember watching it as a teenager and in 1967 I was starting my first real job.  I know about Chekov in Star Trek but I would probably never have come up with him in time.

• Like 2

Awww, nobody even guessed Siegfried from Get Smart! for FJ? LOL

He wasn't really "on our side" but his bumbling sure made things easier for our side!

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

Oh god, the stumpers and wrong answers!  Maybe now we'll get fewer of them?

That said, I totally whiffed FJ.  Didn't even think of Star Trek.  My mind went right to The Man From U.N.C.L.E., and I said Illya Kuryakin quite confidently.  My defense is that I was 2 in 1967, so the year meant nothing to me, and I've only seen either show in syndication much, much later.  My best friend, who is old enough to have watched both shows at the time gave the same answer, although she did start to rethink it before the music stopped.

As for the rest of the game, it was not a very good one for me.  I only ran Chorus Line and "M"Pires, and only got all but 1 clue in Words, Random Stuff, Holidays, Heritage Sites, J and Latino Actors & Actresses.  I did, however, 9 stumpers: Calgary, hockey, Celeste Ng (I only know Little Fires Everywhere, but she seemed like a good guess), wisdom, Memorial Day (come on, an observance in May, really?), The Cure, Spa, Rimsky-Korsakov (thanks to my love of Scheherazade) and Jarlsberg.  Damned good cheese, Jarlsberg.

Glad Holly won, although none of the contestants were unbearable.  But hopefully the quality of play will improve because it's mostly been a sad couple of weeks.

15 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Someone (not sure if here or on facebook) commented on the relatively low scores this week; I noticed they've been going top to bottom a lot (which I prefer if only for personal scorekeeping purposes). Getting the higher value clues early makes for bigger betting opportunities when they hit the Daily Doubles and they're not doing that.

I think it's more likely the large number of triple stumpers and wrong answers which are causing the lower scores.

15 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Was there a Man From Uncle movie?

Unfortunately, yes, there was.  With the spectacularly terrible Armie Hammer as Illya Kuryakin.

15 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

And as much as I hate the religion clues, I got the TS of Purim.

Purim was the only clue I missed in that category.  I knew what they wanted and was trying to get there but couldn't do it in time.

• Like 3
11 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

but I thought they did much better than in recent games.

The DJ round was better (only 4 TS and one missed DD), but the first round had 11 TS.  11 in one round!  This game was still terrible.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

The Jarlsberg TS definitely surprised me, especially as there was a photo. It looks like Swiss Cheese, but it's from Norway, in a "J" category. I didn't think it should have been a $1,600 clue, but I guess it's another case of IYKYK.  Head scratcher, though. 

• Like 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, morriss said:

"Blossum" needs to learn some new replies other than "Yes, that is right....." for when a contestant gets a correct answer.🙄

I do think she switches it up a bit but there are times she says "THAT'S right..." very quickly and it sounds like a recording. I always picture her with a set of buttons on her podium that have different responses and she just randomly pushes one. LOL

Edited by SHD
  • LOL 7
23 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I guessed pink then purple...I would have gone blue next but time was up.

image.png.046df1cb149eb0c6b189c1c3f1bc6831.png

Oh, I love that blue. I'll have to see if they would do well in my climate zone.

17 hours ago, chicagofan said:

3rd missed FJ of the week. 😢 I guessed Illya Kuryakin - love me some David McCallum.

I'm happy to find out I'm in the majority here on the forum - I went with Illya despite currently watching a Star Trek documentary (Center Seat on Hulu, if anyone's interested). And I had never seen The Man from UNCLE - being out of the country during its run. (same is true for ST, but I watched the reruns and all the other series until the recent ones)

14 hours ago, dgpolo said:

Yes, big McCallum fan, still have most of the U.N.C.L.E books. My ST crush was Spock so not a big Koenig fan.

I'm not sure how I felt about him for Chekov (he was cute though), but I f-loved him as Bester in Babylon 5.

I ran Holidays (surprising myself mightily when Purim came out of my mouth), and J/Not J.

So, despite missing FJ I felt okay about it.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:
17 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Was there a Man From Uncle movie?

Unfortunately, yes, there was.  With the spectacularly terrible Armie Hammer as Illya Kuryakin.

There were also a couple of theatrical UNCLE movies that were re-edited from TV episodes, with extra footage shot to bring them up to feature film length.  The extra footage contained added subplots, and included more sex and violence than you could show on TV at the time, in order to compete with the James Bond films.  They were called To Trap a Spy, and The Spy With My Face.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
(edited)

Thought of both Chekhov and Kuryakin—-watched them when they were originally on.  The fact that they mentioned “creator” brought me right to Roddenberry.  
There aren’t all that many programs where the creators are well known. 

Edited by HyeChaps
Typos
  • Like 4

Even though I missed last night's show, I will don my Man from UNCLE T-shirt and opine on the glory that was Illya Kuryakin and the lesser glory that was Napoleon Solo, a man who would've provided full-time employment for an entire HR department all on his own. I was barely out of the womb when the show first aired and it was one of my first TV loves. I have the full DVD set in the silver brief case.

The TV Movie reunion was terrible. Painfully bad. The A Team episode that David McCallum guested on--Robert Vaughan was a regular character at the time--was better and that's a thing I never thought I'd say about that show. The recent (well, more recent...) movie with Henry Cavill and Armie Hammer...where to begin...on the one hand, I really appreciated that they gave Napoleon a backstory even if it contradicted the show, and gave him something to do. Because you know going in everyone loved Illya best and it would've been easy to sideline Napoleon. On the other hand, the casting of Armie Hammer was problematic even before the Hammer horror became known because Illya cannot be huge. His feistiness was perfect because he was wasn't built like a tank. Also, David McCallum was himself perfect in that role and it would take someone with significantly more wit and style than Hammer to even come close. I'm on the fence about Hugh Grant as Mr. Waverly.

• Like 2
(edited)
4 hours ago, Driad said:

thejeopardyfan.com has been down since yesterday.  (I checked at https://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/ to be sure.)  I hope it comes back soon.  I like to check their explanations of FJ etc.

Well, it's back (sorta). Doesn't have the Wed/Thur FJs (I assume yet).

ETA: Site fully functioning now (ie Wed/Thur FJs are up).

Edited by illdoc
  • Applause 2
18 hours ago, chicagofan said:

I guessed Illya Kuryakin - love me some David McCallum.

Like many posters here, I went straight to Illya Kuryakin but could not come up with David McCallum's last name during the Think music.
And then it didn't matter. 
But I'm enjoying at this late date noticing the literary reference for Ensign Chekhov's name.

My best friend in "junior high" (middle school) had first dibs on Illya Kuryakin; Napoleon Solo was mine.💓 I had posters of Robert Vaughn on my wall.
I did have some of the series tie-in paperbacks, but never saw the movie(s).
Definitely not my kind of show now.
The Man From U.N.C.L.E. was mostly gratuitous schlock. OG Star Trek was more cerebral.

My TSs were Memorial Day, oboe, and Jarlsberg.

• Like 4
(edited)

Regarding the "cuteness" of Chekhov... Koenig was hired because he sort of resembled Davy Jones and they wanted to capture the teeny-bopper audience that didn't swoon over Spock. Roddenberry thought looking like Jones would at least intrigue the Monkees fans.  Koenig's hair wasn't long enough, so the first season he was on, he wore that dumb wig until his own hair grew long enough.

And I still occasionally refer to them a "nuclear wessels" thanks to Chekhov.

I love Jarlsberg cheese and was SO disappointed no one knew it. Oboe was disappointing, too.

ETA: What was with "Manitoba" for a Canadian city?  Shouldn't the provinces be one of the first things you study?

Edited by Prevailing Wind
  • Like 7
  • Useful 1
42 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Regarding the "cuteness" of Chekhov... Koenig was hired because he sort of resembled Davy Jones and they wanted to capture the teeny-bopper audience that didn't swoon over Spock. Roddenberry thought looking like Jones would at least intrigue the Monkees fans.  Koenig's hair wasn't long enough, so the first season he was on, he wore that dumb wig until his own hair grew long enough.

I have a friend (different one from the one with the "U.N.C.L.E. room" who was into Star Trek, kind of unusual since we were in middle school/junior high during its run. She was a Spock girl.

52 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I love Jarlsberg cheese and was SO disappointed no one knew it. Oboe was disappointing, too.

Oboe was a surprising TS because once clarinet was ruled incorrect I felt that someone should have guessed oboe. I debated between the two but picked the right one before the incorrect response of clarinet.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

But I'm enjoying at this late date noticing the literary reference for Ensign Chekhov's name.

Just to get some of my Star Trek geek cred back--the Star Trek character, unlike the playwright, is spelled "Chekov." Which is not actually a name in Russian.

The name should be spelled Chekhov, but that's not how Star Trek spelled it.  The transliteration "kh" represents a single character (X) in the Cyrillic alphabet.

• Like 2
  • Useful 5
10 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

If I ever had any doubts that I had found my people in this forum, all the Illya love shown here puts them to rest. Illya Kuryakin was my one true love. I think I ended up on an FBI watch list because of all the books and magazines about Russia I read. I even took Russian in college because of him.

That being said, his name never even occurred to me. My other great teen age obsession was Spock and all things Star Trek and among the many obscure facts stuck in my head was the quote from Gene Roddenberry about adding a Russian character to show that we all got along in the future. 

I had a poster of David McCallum that saw me from elementary school, to college, to grad school and finally to my first apartment after I got married. It finally fell apart. Please see “Sapphire and Steel” if you can, his TV show with Joanna Lumley. 

• Like 5

Not the best of games, but looking at the archive it wasn't as bad as I thought it was while watching it. Another feast or famine game - this time I either got 4 or more correct or 2 or less. Zero in the "Rolling Stones Lyrics" category was especially embarrassing. Ugh!

In the J round I ran "The Czar" and got 4 in "Dating/Apps" and "The Golden Gate Bridge". In DJ got 4 in "American Caves" and "Italian Words & Phrases". Only TS was Alice and that was a total guess based on "looking glass" in the clue.

First correct FJ this week. I decided that I would have written HUAC since I wasn't sure if the "C" stood for committee or commission (I did think it was committee), so I was glad they accepted the acronym.

• Like 5

Not a great game for me.

Only two ts's: the cock of the walk and Time is on My Side.

For FJ I said McCarthy Commission knowing full well it was wrong but I couldn't think of the right name.  Maybe in future I'll at least remember HUAC. The full name is rather awkward.

• Like 4

I got FJ right, so it must have been an easy one. Felt bad for the contestant who said Commission, instead of Committee. Who knew that if he'd just written HUAC,  he would have been correct? I hadn't realized that that was a well- known acronym.

• Like 7

June 15:

60% / 57% / 59%

Terrible game. Missed one in Dating/Apps and Bird Idioms, two in Czar and Horror Novels, and three in Rolling Stones and Golden Gate Bridge. Even worse in DJ, missed one in TV Criminals and Italian Words & Phrases, two in Nonfiction and Physics, three in American Caves, and four in "G" Look at That.

But at least FJ was an instaget (not even just the initials!), I got all the DDs, and my TS were Meddling Kids, Start Me Up, and cock of the walk. And I was kinda rooting for the new champ, too, so yay.

• Like 4

today was not my day.  I got FJ, but was not confident.

I got the missed clues of cock of the walk, meddling kids, and pupfish.

I got the entire category of bird phrases right and the entire category of Rolling Stones wrong.

• Like 4

Instaget FJ, and I'm glad they accepted the abbreviation.  I know what it stands for, but I didn't write it all out.  

I also got the TS of cock of the walk, Alice (guess!), Start Me Up, and guanaco.  For the color of the Golden Gate Bridge, I knew orange, but just could not come up with the descriptor.  

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Trey said:

For FJ I said McCarthy Commission knowing full well it was wrong but I couldn't think of the right name.  Maybe in future I'll at least remember HUAC. The full name is rather awkward.

I floundered around in a jumble of Unamerican ... Activities ... House until I decided guessing HUAC would be safest. I felt bad for Kiran but Suzanne had a runaway so it didn't make a difference. I also felt bad that he came so close to Giorgione but duplicated the middle g to get George Gione. 

I laughed at the first clue being for Night Owl given the recent Small Talk discussion here about sleep patterns.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 3

Gee, "only" 11 TS this time.  (It felt like an even better game than that, though, since the bar is set so low lately.)  I'm a bit surprised Alice was one of them.  I've never heard of the book, but "looking glass" + five-letter woman's name for only $200?  Take the guess!

I almost ran the first round, but I missed one each in czars and novels.  I could have missed one in Golden Gate, too, but my guess of international orange turned out to be correct -- I know it's orange (plus, they'd already shown it, so everyone knew it was orange), so picked "international" as the synonym for "global" and lucked out.

In DJ, I missed three in caves and only ran Italian, but I still did pretty well.  Thanks to cultural osmosis, as I've never seen any of the shows, I only missed two in TV.  I missed another two in "G" and got all but one each in the rest.

FJ was an instaget.  I said HUAC, as that's how I most often see/hear it referred to and figured that's a common enough acronym (since I know it as "Hew-Ack", not the H-U-A-C initialism Mayim said it as) to be accepted, but then said the whole thing anyway to show off to my cat.  She was not impressed.

• Like 3
  • Applause 3
  • LOL 4
(edited)
On 6/14/2023 at 12:59 PM, possibilities said:

If people think "Women Authors" is good because it helps the contestants by narrowing the possible responses, then "Male Authors" does in fact serve a purpose. Why would it be more eye-roll worthy than "Women Authors"?

If the show used "Male Authors," I'd roll my eyes because all this time they've been using the grammatically incorrect "Women Authors." But they'd never do that with a "Men Authors" category. It would be fine by me if the show had "Male Authors" and "Female Authors." Or "Women Who Write" and "Men Who Write." (Though I'd prefer if women were more often simply included in an Authors category.) Just treat men and women equally! Men are too often the default, with women given their own special little category so you won't complain that we never include you, and we'll make it extra weird by using the word "women" in a way we'd never use "men." Sorry, got a little ranty there.

Edited by dcalley
  • Like 4
  • Applause 5
  • Useful 1
(edited)

Where something is simply used to narrow down the choices, there are counterparts.  American [Somethings] categories exist alongside European [Same Somethings], Asian [Same Somethings], etc.  That doesn't happen with the Women [Somethings] categories, so the grammar is the least of their offenses -- there are virtually no Men [Same Somethings] categories.  Men are positioned as the default, with women as anomalies more often relegated to their own categories than integrated into categories that don't specify a gender.  Same with BIPOC; there are no White [Somethings] categories.  So it's not about narrowing down the way specifying an area, era, genre, etc. is.

It's great to have the occasional category focused exclusively on women, BIPOC, etc; highlighting the accomplishments of marginalized groups is a good thing.  It's decidedly not great, however, to substantially relegate them to those categories rather than proportionally including them in categories simply about authors, artists, scientists, world leaders, inventors, etc.

This is so straightforward, to continue the practice is willful at this point.  It's 2023, long past time for J! to do better.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 7
  • Fire 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 3

I had a decent game, husband had a much better game and was quite proud of himself. Guess which one of us got HUAC? (If the clue had referenced the ‘50s, it would have been an instaget— but I had no idea the committee started as early as the ‘30s, much less that it continued all the way into the ‘70s! Wow.)

I was fine with Suzanne winning, if for no other reason that we share an addiction to NYT crossword puzzles and Spelling Bee. (Guess who made Queen Bee today? 😃 If you guess my husband, I will have to hurt you.)

We are not the only ones dismayed by recent levels of play. https://ew.com/tv/jeopardy-producer-forget-recent-episode/

• Like 7
  • LOL 2
7 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

I was fine with Suzanne winning, if for no other reason that we share an addiction to NYT crossword puzzles and Spelling Bee. (Guess who made Queen Bee today? 😃 If you guess my husband, I will have to hurt you.)

We are not the only ones dismayed by recent levels of play. https://ew.com/tv/jeopardy-producer-forget-recent-episode/

Guess who also made Queen Bee yesterday? 🤩

I was fine with Suzanne winning, too, though I wish Holly could have stayed a bit longer. She reminded me of a more cheerful Frances McDormand.

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
(edited)
17 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

Just to get some of my Star Trek geek cred back--the Star Trek character, unlike the playwright, is spelled "Chekov." Which is not actually a name in Russian.

Just as the name "Ilya" is usually spelled with one "L" in English. But since it is a phonetic spelling from the Cyrillic alphabet, I always figured my Illya was spelling it the right way.

Edited by Good Queen Jane
  • Like 2
  • Useful 2

If the answer WOULD have been Illya Kuryakin, it would have been interesting to see how the judges would have ruled on some of the interesting ways it might have been spelled. I know spelling doesn’t count in FJ, but at some point, you might lose the intent of your answer if you’re too far off.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, chitowngirl said:

If the answer WOULD have been Illya Kuryakin, it would have been interesting to see how the judges would have ruled on some of the interesting ways it might have been spelled. I know spelling doesn’t count in FJ, but at some point, you might lose the intent of your answer if you’re too far off.

If it comes to that, evidently Star Trek misspelled Chekhov as Chekov. I hope they would have accepted Chekhov or even Tchekhov.

• Like 2