Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 39 (2022-2023)

Athena
  • Start Topic

5 hours ago, Bastet said:

But that's the explanation of how you wind up with the s***** for a term like $pastic (again, I altered it to leave mostly intact and make the point).

It's mostly in Britain and Ireland, though more people in America are becoming aware of it as well, but that word is considered a slur against people who have cerebral palsy, multiple sclerosis, strokes, and other conditions that cause uncontrolled muscle movements.

Absolutely do not say it if you are ever travelling in the UK or Ireland.

• Like 1
  • Useful 6
(edited)
53 minutes ago, MrAtoz said:

It's mostly in Britain and Ireland, though more people in America are becoming aware of it as well, but that word is considered a slur against people who have cerebral palsy, multiple sclerosis, strokes, and other conditions that cause uncontrolled muscle movements.

It is a slur in the US too.
Perhaps @possibilities could have used "seemingly spasmodic semicolon usage" instead of:

10 hours ago, possibilities said:

I knew Orlando. I read enough Virginia Woolf to conclude that she has what I consider to be a s****** semi-colon.

[Testing 1, 2, 3, ... Post.]

Okay. That worked.
MeTV closed captions use the same algorithm, which is very annoying when watching reruns of Perry Mason and I get distracted trying to figure out, for example, what a rac**** is and why it was censored.
Or, like:

- Stall them till I get there.
- How?

Any way you can.
****er about the price.

Just... Just stall him.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 2
31 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

It is a slur in the US too.
Perhaps @possibilities could have used "seemingly spasmodic semicolon usage" instead of:

[Testing 1, 2, 3, ... Post.]

Okay. That worked.
MeTV closed captions use the same algorithm, which is very annoying when watching reruns of Perry Mason and I get distracted trying to figure out, for example, what a rac**** is and why it was censored.
Or, like:

Ah, the Scunthorpe Problem.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

I would not use the word in that way. But I have spent most of my life in Disability World, and I have personally known someone with a medical condition she herself called a $pastic colon, and one of my closest friends had cerebral palsy (before she died) with involuntary movements, so while I appreciate the effort of the site to be respectful, I am not impressed by the execution. I am still angry about something they did to us in the disability on tv thread a while ago, so I need to go and cool off before I say something I really will need to retract later.

• Like 4
  • Hugs 5
1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

In the context of spasmodic colons, however, a spasmodic semi-colon is pretty funny.

Thank you! That's what I thought! If I do say so myself....

I'm willing to take offense at a lot of things that go right by most people, but punctuation/medical overlap humor makes the kind of hybrid that floats my personal boat.

• Like 6
  • Applause 2

I have no interest in Virginia Woolf's writing and wasn't sure if she had died by 1928, but Orlando was the only book I could think of which has a main character who changes gender, so that seemed like the obvious answer.  (I only know of the book because of the movie with Tilda Swinton, which also didn't interest me but clearly stuck in my mind anyway.)

Not a great game for me, but at least I knew Cujo wasn't a composer (even if I did get the symphony number wrong), Argentina isn't a Celtic country and Teddy Roosevelt didn't lead the Rough Riders up Bunker Hill.  Thanks, Tim, I didn't think it could get stupider than Omar Bradley as head of the Space Force, but clearly I was wrong.

I ran Diaspora, Quick Books, Starts With "W", With This Ring and A Euro Leader Pass.  Got all but 1 clue in State Holidays.  I did get quite a few stumpers, at least: USSR, Armenian, The Hate U Give, Kate Chopin, Spain, San Juan Hill, Siegfried and Vaclav Havel.  Should've gotten Uzbekistan because that's one of the few stans where I know the capital (Tashkent).  Also, I used to have a Lite Brite, but something about the clue confused me.

I still don't really understand what a retronym is.

And yes, I said "Gumby, damn it!".

On 6/9/2023 at 7:32 PM, ams1001 said:

three in TV (I only got Norm from Cheers and and Jan Brady, but I at least knew two of the others were Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead, which I've never watched)

I got Jan, but said Cliff instead of Norm.  Never would've gotten Rick Grimes but I would've gotten Tyrion IF I'd paid attention to the category and realized I needed the name of the character, not the show.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

Honestly, Virginia Woolf is one of the most boring writers of inherently interesting material, among all the writers I have read. So, no loss if you haven't read Orlando, or her other works. The summaries give you all you need.

If I never return to the forum after this post, you will know I have been taken out back and torn to shreds by the furies of the "women authors" academy.

But I will go to my death unrepentant.

• Applause 1
  • LOL 18

Honestly, Virginia Woolf is one of the most boring writers of inherently interesting material, among all the writers I have read. So, no loss if you haven't read Orlando, or her other works. The summaries give you all you need.

If I never return to the forum after this post, you will know I have been taken out back and torn to shreds by the furies of the "women authors" academy.

But I will go to my death unrepentant.

(edited)
5 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

"a new term created from an existing word in order to distinguish it from the meaning that has emerged through progress or technological development"

Basically an item that only gets a modifier/descriptor after something new comes along and becomes the more common version. Like, a rotary telephone was just a telephone until the touch tone phone was invented and became the thing most people think of when you say telephone. 

Edited by ams1001
  • Thanks 2
  • Useful 7
(edited)
24 minutes ago, ams1001 said:
6 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

"a new term created from an existing word in order to distinguish it from the meaning that has emerged through progress or technological development"

Basically an item that only gets a modifier/descriptor after something new comes along and becomes the more common version. Like, a rotary telephone was just a telephone until the touch tone phone was invented and became the thing most people think of when you say telephone. 

Would that include “forward slash” and “gin martini”?  Or is that just me?

Oh, and, “acoustic guitar”

Edited by SoMuchTV
  • Like 5
  • Applause 1

Decent game today - did better in DJ than in the J round which isn't usually what happens around here.

Got 4 in "5-Letter Words" in the J round. In DJ ran "The War of 1812" and got 4 in "Health & Medicine" and "Color My World". TSs were aneurysm, Auburn Hills and ax man.

Didn't get FJ - I wasn't surprised since Mythology categories aren't usually my strong suit.

I don't remember which one it was, but could the pause before the ruling of correct on one of the DDs have been any longer?

• Like 4
21 minutes ago, chicagofan said:

I don't remember which one it was, but could the pause before the ruling of correct on one of the DDs have been any longer?

It was after Michael's correct DD response of "Niagara." The network could have sold another commercial in that gap.

• Like 5
  • LOL 15

I got FJ right.

I got the missed Clues of the Martian, Argentina, Will and Grace, and Ax Man.  A little disappointed that I missed Holy Cannoli because I say that all the time.

I got the entire category of novel narrators right. 

Fair night.

• Like 5

Instaget, or perhaps instaguess FJ for me tonight.  Mythology isn't my strong suit, but "against" led me to "anti" which led me to the correct response.  I could not have told you who she was.

I also got the TS of The Martian, aneurysm, Will & Grace, axon, and axman.  

Michael reminded me a lot of Keanu Reeves.

• Like 11
  • Applause 1
(edited)
7 hours ago, chicagofan said:

could the pause before the ruling of correct on one of the DDs have been any longer?

7 hours ago, HissyFit said:

It was after Michael's correct DD response of "Niagara." The network could have sold another commercial in that gap.

I could have passed through that pause and over Niagara Falls inside a barrel before Michael's correct DD was acknowledged. 
And, while I'm in a crappy mood:

• Dear Mayim, "That is him" is not ever going to be grammatically correct, no matter how many times you say it.
  • The most important thing to announce in the moments after Suresh won his 5th game would have been that he now qualifies for the TOC.
    But, nope. We did not get to hear that.

But, because I'm not a total monster either: 
I thought Suresh looked like he had wanted Michael to win.❤️‍🩹

6 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I assumed Michael's hair style was to cover radiation treatment burns, based on someone with brain cancer who came to yoga classes for cancer patients that I used to attend. She was young too, and terminal.😔

Marylin seemed to have some form of Parkinsonism. I wonder if it made her a bit slower on the buzzer.
Her Wikipedia page has so many book titles that it would take me quite a while to determine if I'm familiar with any: wikipedia.org/wiki/Marilyn_Singer
"6 starred reviews" is quite an accomplishment.

And yet our health-challenged contestants only had 8 TSs (by my count) in comparison to last week's days of double digits.

Edited by shapeshifter
Correction
  • Like 11
(edited)

Michael endeared himself to me when he talked about the Disney movie with the flying "hippopotamus" at the circus.

Got the TS of Will & Grace and ax man. Didn't get FJ. At first incest had me thinking brother and sister. Odepius did flit through my mind but I consider him a play instead of a myth.

Edited by Grizzly
  • Like 9

The show is preempted for basketball here, so I just checked the archive.  I was a little surprised by the aneurysm TS, but that's it.  Refreshing, given recent games.

I ran songs, nations, and words, and got all but one in core and Ben & Jerry's, so I could have had a great first round, but I missed three in novels (it could have been two; I should have come up with The Lovely Bones, as I saw the movie, but I couldn't pull the title out of my head in time).

I did pretty well for DJ.  I only ran War of 1812, which I was not at all expecting, and health, but I got all but one in "ax".  I missed two each in the rest -- thanks to cultural osmosis when it came to the TV category, as the only one of those shows I watched was Battlestar Galactica (the reboot, not the original).

To the surprise of no one, I had no idea for FJ.  I was trying to think of a name starting with "anti" but couldn't come up with anything.

• Like 4

June 12:

67% / 70% / 69%

Not too terrible...did slightly better in the second round. Missed one each in Pop Songs (surprised; I don't do well with pop music usually, especially recent music), Narrator of the Novel, and Core Values; two in 5-Letter Words and Ben & Jerry's Flavor Graveyard, and three in Tropic of Capricorn Nations. In DJ I ran Health & Medicine, missed one in Like a Statue and AX Marks the Spot, two in War of 1812 and TV Reboots, and three in Color My World.

FJ was an instaget, and I was sure I was wrong.

Got the TSes of Beyonce, Argentina, Paraguay, The Martian (DD), aneurism, axon, and Will & Grace.

2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I thought so, too. I was rooting for him (even before he mentioned being sick).

14 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I should have come up with The Lovely Bones, as I saw the movie, but I couldn't pull the title out of my head in time).

I've read the book, and could picture the blue cover, but couldn't get the title, either.

• Like 7
3 hours ago, chicagofan said:

On the other hand, when the correct response was "axon" - something a neurowhatever should know, she was right there, no pause at all.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Teddy Roosevelt didn't lead the Rough Riders up Bunker Hill.  

That one killed me. I don’t like to criticize dumb answers because I’m on my sofa and they’re under the lights, but sometimes it’s just… really?

Got TS of The Martian, Beyoncé, axon, axe man, and Will and Grace. FJ was an instaget in that I immediately thought “Antigone”, but then thought “no, wait, that’s a play, not a myth”, tried to think of something else, but couldn’t, so stuck with what was certainly a wrong answer. (I briefly considered A-thena, but nah.)

I was done with Michael the minute he did that Queen Elizabeth hand wave and kept doing it even when I yelled at him to stop. Appreciated the all-in DD, though. (Even though I didn’t hear the part about cancer treatments. Now I feel kind of bad about yelling at him.)

Poll: Does “Women in Mythology” bug as much as “Women Authors”? Should all “women” qualifiers be banned?

• Like 5
11 hours ago, Grizzly said:

Odepius did flit through my mind but I consider him a play instead of a myth.

8 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

FJ was an instaget in that I immediately thought “Antigone”, but then thought “no, wait, that’s a play, not a myth”,

Do not trick yourselves in this way. If the play is a Greek tragedy it is pretty certain to be based on myth.  

• Like 4
  • Useful 4
12 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Instaget, or perhaps instaguess FJ for me tonight.  Mythology isn't my strong suit, but "against" led me to "anti" which led me to the correct response.  I could not have told you who she was.

Exactly my thought process on both statements.

• Like 3
9 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

Poll: Does “Women in Mythology” bug as much as “Women Authors”? Should all “women” qualifiers be banned?

It doesn’t bother me. Actually, it helps the contestants by narrowing the category. 

• Like 10
  • Useful 1
17 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I guess that makes sense but I won't remember it the next time the category shows up.  Sometimes I have the memory of a goldfish.

• Like 5
12 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

That one killed me. I don’t like to criticize dumb answers because I’m on my sofa and they’re under the lights, but sometimes it’s just… really?

I know the very first time I rang in, my answer was dumb because of nerves, but I'm hoping it wasn't that dumb. 😲

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1
15 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I also got the TS of The Martian, aneurysm, Will & Grace, axon, and axman.  

It made me think antipartum?  Which is not.....anything so I just jumped to antigone. 

• Like 6
(edited)
15 hours ago, Grizzly said:

Didn't get FJ. At first incest had me thinking brother and sister. Odepius did flit through my mind but I consider him a play instead of a myth.

I rejected Antigone for the same reason, even though I'd done some of the scenes from it in college. (did not remember, or had no idea, that it was in any way related to Oedipus)

My husband, knowing nothing about mythology or plays, got it merely from going "anti???....antigone!" Sigh...

I got all but one in Narrator, Ben & Jerry, 5 letter words, and Reboots. So it was a pretty good game for me, despite not getting FJ.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 8
3 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

Do not trick yourselves in this way. If the play is a Greek tragedy it is pretty certain to be based on myth

Oedipus was in D'Aulaire's Greek Myths (my first and favorite book of Myths since I was a child, I'd say most of what I know about Greek myths I learned from this book). I also went the against-anti-Antigone route.

• Like 6
  • Useful 2

Well, Sajak is retiring after this next season. What a wonderful opportunity for Bialik to get a gig all to herself! She wouldn't have to worry about pausing before ruling correct or not - a letter is a letter.

The fact that she hesitates so much and didn't pause at all when it was a neuroscience answer indicates to me that she is not engaged with the show at all. She doesn't prepare well by studying the clues/acceptable responses. She doesn't care to do the work.  Let her move over to Wheel where all she has to worry about is letters and puzzles with no room for errors.

• Like 16

I seem to have gotten used to Suresh's accent because I've had less trouble with it over the last two games.  Still, I was rooting for Michael, especially after that gutsy DD bet.  Oh well.  At least it seems like there were fewer stumpers.

Overall I did okay, not great.  Ran Narrator, Core, Reboots and Ben & Jerry's Flavor Graveyard.  Was thrilled about that last one, and my best friend was very excited that her favorite retired flavor was the $1000 clue.  I got all but 1 clue in Pop Songs, 5-Letter Words, War Of 1812 and Health & Medicine.  My stumpers were Beyonce, Paraguay, Argentina, The Martian, aneurysm, axeman and Will & Grace.  Admittedly, that last one was a complete guess.

16 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Her Wikipedia page has so many book titles that it would take me quite a while to determine if I'm familiar with any: wikipedia.org/wiki/Marilyn_Singer
"6 starred reviews" is quite an accomplishment.

Her name sounded vaguely familiar but I didn't recognize any of the titles.  I did, however, sell a lot of children's books in the 11 years I was at Borders, so it's possible I saw some of hers.

16 hours ago, Grizzly said:

Michael endeared himself to me when he talked about the Disney movie with the flying "hippopotamus" at the circus.

That's when I started rooting for him.  Anyone who's that unfamiliar with Disney dreck can come sit by me.  (I know the stuff but hate most of it.  Do like the movie with the dogs eating spaghetti, though.)

16 hours ago, Grizzly said:

At first incest had me thinking brother and sister. Odepius did flit through my mind but I consider him a play instead of a myth.

The incest distracted me because I was thinking Antigone was the daughter of Agamemnon and Clytemnestra.  I apparently confused her with Electra.  I completely forgot about Oedipus and Jocasta.  I guessed Antigone because of the "anti" but didn't really expect it to be correct.

13 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

Neither of them bother me in the least.  Well, the grammar of "women authors" (it should be "Female Authors") does bug a bit but that's it.

• Like 5
(edited)
17 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

7 hours ago, borninboston said:

Actually, it helps the contestants by narrowing the category. 

In the context of Jeopardy!, I agree with @borninboston, that descriptors/qualifiers such as Women, or African Americans, or Czechoslovakians (made that one up myself) narrows the category, and then, in the process of the game, enlightens the viewers a bit too. 

However, in my decades of working in school and academic libraries, I kind of hated that information about women's accomplishments and discoveries and issues were often overlooked by students trying to get their research done as quickly as possible because Library of Congress Subject Headings for Women's Studies gathered those books together in a separate area of the library (a subcategory among Social Studies), which resulted in students who were researching a historical event or a sport or a scientific discovery often not seeing the books that covered in-depth those lesser-known women who made important contributions. 

So, when I see a "Women" category in Jeopardy!, I bristle a bit, but that reaction is mostly a reflection of how the category reminds me of its potentially negative impact educationally. So maybe it would be better to do away with those categories.

ETA:
I just did a bit of library catalog searching and discovered that my first few results showed that books about Women were nestled in amongst the others in that field of study. For instance, "Women garden designers : 1900 to the present" was classified in Landscape Architecture.
"Forging the Franchise: The Political Origins Of the Women's Vote," although assigned "Women" subject headings, would at least be found in the stacks of Eastern Illinois University's library and the Newberry Library among other books about politics (in the Js). However, in the University of Illinois at Chicago library, it seems to be in the Women's Studies area (HQs), but there are curricular reasons that might explain that. 
So, yay-ish. 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 12
14 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

"Women in Mythology" is a different construct than "Women Authors".  The first doesn't bother me at all.  The problem I have with "Women Authors" is that there is no corresponding "Men Authors" category, just "Authors" where the assumption is that it will refer to a male author.  Also that it's grammatically incorrect.

"Women in Mythology" is fine, like women in sports, women in space, women in the 90s (not in their 90s).

• Like 8
  • Applause 1
On 6/8/2023 at 6:53 PM, SeanC said:

Trump getting indicted and interrupting Jeopardy, his most evil act yet.

Thought it was going to happen here today, but ABC wrapped up its coverage right at 3:30 p.m. for the start of Jeopardy. Yippee!

And it was a really good game for me today, especially in the J round. Ran "Accessories", and got 4 in "Dadjectives", "The Year of the Horse" and "After the Fact". TSs were hallowed (I know not everyone is a Christian, but not one of the three knew The Lord's Prayer?), Big Daddy, roses, blue (no one even tried to guess a color?), chrysanthemum, Black Stallion, Elizabeth Taylor and Seattle Slew.

Didn't do quite as well in DJ, but still did o.k. Got 4 in "Deep Books" and "Presidential Campaign Slogans". Did horribly in "Stand-Up Specials". Knew Chris Rock and Wanda Sykes but just couldn't pull their names out of the recesses of my brain. Only one TS - Barry Goldwater.

Should have gotten FJ since it was so not before my time. Just didn't think of Travolta - shame on me.

• Like 4

FJ was an instaget.

I got the missed clues of the Black Stallion, hallowed, cool, big Elizabeth taylor, Doha, knowledge is power, what if, Barry Goldwater and William Jennings Bryan.

I got the entire category of dadjectives right.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

TS: Hallowed, roses, The Black Stallion (read all the books), Elizabeth Taylor, orchids, Big Daddy, chrysanthemum, Sam Kinison. I was shocked that some of these were TS (I thought every one knew ET was in National Velvet and Big Daddy was Cat on a Hot Tin Roof. As well as the chrysanthemum throne.)

• Like 8

My ts's or missed DDs: The Black Stallion (The second most famous horse story with black in the title - Laura gives the most famous), roses, hallowed, Big Daddy, blue, orchid, Liz Taylor, and Sam Kinison.

FJ was an instaget.

Suresh is winning games but he is by no means setting any high score records.

• Like 12

I had a decent game. I got the missed answers of Black Stallion, roses, hallowed, Big Daddy, blue, orchid, chrysanthemum, Elizabeth Taylor, Seattle Slew, and Sam Kinison. I must have used up all my brain cells because when it came to FJ I was stumped. Oh well. Tomorrow is another day. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

June 12:

63% / 63% / 64%

Not great but consistent, at least. In J! I ran Accessories, missed one in Family History and After the Fact, and three in Dadjectives, Flowers, and Year of the Horse. In DJ I ran Crop to It, missed one in Deep Books and Stand-Up Specials, two in Silent K Words, three in Presidential Campaign Slogans, and four Cities. 

I got FJ but I just kind of threw it out after several seconds of "I don't know, I was three in 1978!" (and not until October). I was trying to think of 70s movies known for music and pictured him in the white suit in Saturday Night Fever (I've never actually seen it, wasn't sure if the year was right and didn't even get around to trying to think what the other movie might be) and threw out Travolta. Then I went to the archive because I was too impatient to wait 12 more seconds to find out if I was right.

My TSes were Hallowed, roses, Elizabeth Taylor, What If?, Timothy, and Sam Kinison. 

• Like 5

Timothy.  I said Alfalfa.  LOL

I said Travolta, based on the white suit, but I had no idea what the other film might have been. I never saw Grease. (Actually, I never saw SNF, either, but that pic of him in the white was ubiquitous.)

• Like 8
  • LOL 1
4 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I said Travolta, based on the white suit, but I had no idea what the other film might have been. I never saw Grease. (Actually, I never saw SNF, either, but that pic of him in the white was ubiquitous.)

I've seen Grease but not until well into the 80s; I probably didn't even know it was as old as it was at the time.

• Like 3

Geez...roses, hallowed, Big (daddy), blue, chrysanthemum, Elizabeth Taylor, Goldwater. But ok, my brain couldn't pull up Sam Kinison but I could just hear him screaming into his mic, "Oh--oh--oh...". And FJ: I didn't realize Grease and SNF were in the same year (didn't see Grease), but an actor whose films created *two* very popular film sound tracks?  Travolta dancing to the BeeGees? 

• Like 3
(edited)
46 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Yeah I've never actually seen Saturday night fever but know the suit, dance, song 'staying alive'   actually I think I learned it from the movie airplane. 

I have seen the DREADFUL follow up to Saturday night fever the movie staying alive in all its early 80s cheesiness. 

I knew Travolta and both the movies 

Sam Kinnison!  Can't believe no one knew. Classic not safe for this forum stand up.  

Suresh had been pretty lucky snd winning against some subpar opponents. Can't believe he's lasted 6 games. 

Teddy Roosevelt was a republican. 

Edited by DrSpaceman73
  • Like 3

Arrgh, John Travolta and Henry Winkler seem to have settled into a place in my brain as 70s hearthrobs who are still hanging in there, but I can never dredge up either name when I have a trivial need for it. 

• Like 2
  • Fire 1