Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 39 (2022-2023)

Athena
  • Start Topic

The Muriel's Wedding TS was a bummer.

They went in order more in the first round than any game I've seen in a while (they didn't do the clues from top to bottom, but although they jumped around within the categories, they always completed a category before moving on to another one). 

I blew children's books entirely - I knew "ravenous larva" referred to the hungry caterpillar book, but forgot the "Very" in the title - so my first round was off to a terrible start.  Thankfully, they next headed to championship teams, which I ran.  I also ran Philippines, and got all but one each in the rest, so it was just that one category that sucked for me.

In DJ, I only ran 4, 4, but I did well for that round.  I got all but Potsdamn in cities and all but Francis Bacon in names.  More impressively, I only missed two in mythology, which is quite a feat.  Another two misses each in movies, which is a category that's quite hit and miss for me, and poetry, which is usually more miss than hit (I guess the science helped).

FJ was an instaget.  I guess Jared got hung up on the telegraph part of the clue, thinking of when "STOP" between sentences?

I often skip the interviews, but I came back in the room just in time to see Jared's.  Yep, take those pills, because if your wife has to choose, you're living somewhere else.  That was cute.  I know quite a few people with cats who are allergic to them.  (Yes, I know some people's reaction is severe enough that isn't possible.) 

• Like 2

I know all about POTUS— I, too, remember the reference on The West Wing, but I think I knew about it even before that— but I did not get FJ. The wording of “code word used by telegraph operators” confused me; I focused on the telegraph operators, not the presidency. And I don’t do Twitter, so that was no help.

Obama: “Yes we can”. No, I couldn’t. And I was very annoyed with myself when the answer was revealed. 

• Like 4
  • Hugs 2
(edited)

I learned a new term from Monday's episode.  Mayim said that Jared called himself a "dork-o-potomus" from East Texas after his win on Friday.  I love that term.  However, I have noticed that Jared seems to have forgotten the theme of the category on a few of his answers in his haste to hit the buzzer first.  BTW, I have no idea how to spell that descriptive word. 

Edited by laredhead
Spelling correction
  • Like 2
(edited)

It was a so-so game for me last night.  I only ran 3 categories: "G"eography, Mythology and 4, 4.  Got all but 1 clue in Children's Books (I've heard of Stella Luna but didn't know the plot), Task: Force (could not drag Aqua Teen Hunger Force out of my brain although I knew it), Also A Boat and Name's The Same (missed Francis Bacon).  Got only 4 of the many stumpers: force majeure, Edmonton Oilers (thanks to that photo of a very young Wayne Gretzky), Ginza and Muriel's Wedding.  (I will confess to saying "Ginzu" first but realized that was the knives.)  FJ was an instaget at least.

I generally suck at questions about vice presidents and couldn't have told you that he was Madison's VP, but I will never not know that George Clinton was someone's VP.  I've always found it extremely amusing, given my familiarity with Parliament/Funkadelic.  (And now I have Give Up The Funk stuck in my head.  Not really a problem.)

I know the film was popular, but I found Muriel's Wedding to be extremely overrated and barely funny.  The main character was obnoxious as hell.

That was not a great game to watch at all.  Jared ended up with a good total, but only because he got all three Daily Doubles.  Edited to note that I do like Jared.  He seems like a good guy and definitely understands his importance in the household vis-a-vis the cat.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Like 8
14 hours ago, Bastet said:

I often skip the interviews, but I came back in the room just in time to see Jared's.  Yep, take those pills, because if your wife has to choose, you're living somewhere else.  That was cute.  I know quite a few people with cats who are allergic to them.  (Yes, I know some people's reaction is severe enough that isn't possible.) 

My cousin is quite allergic but his ex-wife came with a cat, so he dealt with it. We got our two cats because he found them on his boat as newborns with mom nowhere to be found (they had moved the boat into the water the day before so we don't know if she was gone when they moved it or what), and she and the kids took care of them in the spare room/bathroom until they were old enough to be adopted, but they couldn't keep them (plus her then-elderly, always-cranky [she called her "Ashley Beast"] cat probably wouldn't have accepted four kittens in her space). After they divorced a few years later she got two kittens, then she passed away several years after that and their daughter took the cats, so they had to live in his house for a while until she went to grad school; they had to stay in the basement because he couldn't deal with fur all over the house.

4 hours ago, laredhead said:

I learned a new term from Monday's episode.  Mayim said that Jared called himself a "dork-o-potomus" from East Texas after his win on Friday.  I love that term.

I loved that, too.

1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

(I've heard of Stella Luna but didn't know the plot)

I didn't, either (though I've seen it plenty of times working in the bookstore, I never read it) but it's the first thing that comes to mind if it's a picture book about a bat.

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

she got two kittens, then she passed away several years after

This is why Stella will be my last cat. I may foster seniors after she goes, so when I go, the foster agency can take 'em back. I do not want to spend my last days worrying about what's gonna happen to my cat.

• Like 7
  • Hugs 5
  • Sad 2

Much better game today - got twice as many correct responses than I did during yesterday's debacle. 😀

4 really good and 2 really bad categories in the J round. Ran "Quotable Notables" and got 4 in "21st Century Stuff", "Which Cabinet Department" and "Waterfowl-Pourri". But only got 1 each in "RIAA Top-Selling Artists" (should have had 2 more) and "S-Less, Chaps" (a bit risqué, no?). Only got the missed DD of Switzerland though.

Did about the same in DJ as in the J round. Ran "Nonfiction TV" (4 for 4) and also got 4 in "12 Letters Long or More". Again only 1 TS - peristaltic waves.

Also got FJ. My first thought was NATO, but almost simultaneously thought of the UN. But I thought that the UN's founding was a little earlier than 1949. Then I thought that "pact" and "obligation" in the clue sounded more like NATO, so that was my final answer. Good for me.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
5 minutes ago, chicagofan said:

Then I thought that "pact" and "obligation" in the clue sounded more like NATO, so that was my final answer. Good for me.

That was my thinking too.  Good for both of us🙂

There seemed to be a lot of ts's but I didn't get any of them.

I was surprised at the outcome of the game but I'm fine with it.  I guess Jared shouldn't have bet anything.

• Like 6

June 6:

63% / 62% / 63%

Ugh. I have a headache; that's my excuse. Ran Quotable Notables and Waterfowl-pourri, missed two Cabinet Departments and RIAA Top-Selling Artists, three in 21st Century Stuff and four in S-Less Chaps. In DJ I ran 12 Letters or Longer, missed one in Nonfiction TV, two in Books & Authors and This & That, and three in Straits and "Wave"s.

FJ was an instaget, at least, and I got the missed clues of Strait of Dover (complete guess) and endoskeleton.

4 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

This is why Stella will be my last cat. I may foster seniors after she goes, so when I go, the foster agency can take 'em back. I do not want to spend my last days worrying about what's gonna happen to my cat.

She was only 50 and seemingly perfectly healthy so it was quite unexpected. I like the idea of fostering seniors.

• Like 4
  • Hugs 1

I said the UN even though i knew the year was wrong.  I thought NAtO was later.

I got the missed clues of Switzerland (my bucket list destination0, person/peron, Strait of Dover, and endoskeleton.

I got the entire category of waterfowl right.

Even though I didn't have a particularly good game myself, I still found myself rolling my eyes at some of the answers.

• Like 3
(edited)
2 hours ago, Katy M said:

I got the missed clues of Switzerland (my bucket list destination), person/peron, Strait of Dover, and endoskeleton.

If you have the chance definitely go to Switzerland. I've been there twice on ski trips - to Zermatt (stayed afterwards and went to Geneva (you can tour the Palais des Nations the UN facility there) 😃, Lucerne, Bern and Zurich) and Davos (with day trips to St. Moritz and Liechtenstein). If you can, spend time in both the mountains - very scenic - and the cities.

Edited by chicagofan
  • Like 2

I was quite the Uno player back in the day and still play occasionally, but had no idea Dos existed.  I looked it up and found this article; I don't see the point and will stick with the original.

Jared endeared himself to me last night as a cat dad, so of course now he's gone.  He lead almost the entire game, so I wasn't expecting that, but good for Suresh.

I almost ran the entire first round, but I missed two in 21st c. -- the pope's funeral TS stumped me, too, and I picked Monday for the day of publication.

In DJ, I ran TV and 12-letter and got all but one in waves, but I missed three each in this & that and books and two in straits.

FJ was an instaget -- well, an instaguess I felt confident was correct.

• Like 2

So much tentative gameplay tonight! I was rooting for Jared, because he really did seem like a nice guy, and because I wanted to see if he’d make a diabolical plan to leverage his Jeopardy winnings against the continued residency of the cats. (Nah, of course he wouldn’t. As previously established, too nice.) I was not surprised by Suresh winning, though. Even when he was behind, he seemed to be in control.

At least I got FJ… whew. I’d be mad if I missed two easy ones in a row.

• Like 4

Aww, I'm going to miss Jared.  Nothing against Suresh personally, but I found his accent hard to understand; not his fault, just my ears.

I did not have a particularly good game last night.  Only ran Waterfowl, RIAA Artists, Nonfiction TV (of which they only revealed 4 clues) and 12 Letters.  Got all but 1 clue in Quotable Notables, Cabinet Dept., S-less (and I hated that category) and Books & Authors (I'm guessing "Jennifer something" wouldn't have been accepted?).  When the categories were revealed, I thought I'd run Straits but ended up only getting the Golden Gate Strait.  I knew most of the rest so I don't know what happened.  Brain fog, I guess.

I got the stumpers of Switzerland, swallow & wallow, person & Peron and endoskeleton.  I did get FJ.  I did think of the UN first but something about "pact" led me to NATO.  Maybe because of its counterpart the Warsaw Pact?

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
(edited)
22 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

My reason is on the other end of the issue - a bit gruesome, I'm afraid. I once worked at a church office when one of our parishoners died. No one knew for days and her pet (small dog), well, it got hungry...

On a much happier note - If you want to hear a good story about "What's New Pussycat," check out the John Mulaney Salt and Pepper Diner youtube video.  (really audio)

Oh, and PS - I was heartbroken when Jared lost. Loved him. Suresh is very good, so I don't hate him. Just wanted more of Jared.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 2
  • Sad 4
20 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

On a much happier note - If you want to hear a good story about "What's New Pussycat," check out the John Mulaney Salt and Pepper Diner youtube video.  (really audio)

I just came across that last week. Too funny.

I was hoping Jared would at least make it to five. Suresh is fine (sometimes I worry that people with thick accents will get incorrectly ruled against when it's just the way they say it, since speakers of some languages have difficulty with certain sounds in English (and vice versa)).

• Like 4
4 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

My reason is on the other end of the issue - a bit gruesome, I'm afraid. I once worked at a church office when one of our parishoners died. No one knew for days and her pet (small dog), well, it got hungry...

Taking to Small Talk...

• Like 1

What a sad, sad game today. If my count is correct there were 25 TSs/missed DDs. Add that to the 2 clues they didn't get to in DJ and they barely got 1/2 of the 60 clues in the 2 rounds correct. 😥

Not that I did all that great either. O.k. J round - ran "A Little Night Music", but kinda sad DJ. Got 8 TSs/missed DDs - Vienna, nocturnes (DD), waltz time, agony & ecstasy, shah, discouraging, Pentecost (DD) and Fagin. Should have had a few more but I couldn't pull the "Buena Vista" part of "Buena Vista Social Club" out of my brain. I also misread/heard the Les Miz clue and said Jean Valjean instead of Javert. And I didn't recognize that picture of Ally Sheedy which I didn't think looked anything like her. Oh well.

FJ was an instaget. I thought "Slovenia borders Italy which was part of Yugoslavia which no longer exists". Helped that we once had a tenant who was originally from Slovenia when it was part of Yugoslavia who would go home for visits. Briefly considered Slovakia, but then thought "no, I think Austria and Hungary are between it and Italy". Yay!

• Like 8
(edited)

June 7:

70% / 64% / 66%

Started out fairly decent. In the first round I ran A Little Night Music, missed one in Into the Woods, Follies, and Merrily We Roll Along, and three in Company and Passion.

Less decent in DJ; ran 90s Kid and Novel Characters (of the four they got to), missed two in Join the Club and Etymology, and three in Astronomical Anagrams (WHY ALL THE ANAGRAMS?!) and Presidential Line of Succession.

Did not get FJ.

Damn, that was a lotta missed clues - I counted 8 in J (including the DD) and 17(!) in DJ (including one DD)! They missed all but one each in the $1600 and $2000 rows.

I got 12 of them: agony & ecstasy, nocturnes (DD), waltz time, Pentecost (DD), Ally Sheedy, Merrick Garland, Shah, Javert, Fagin, Josef K, N64, and Animorphs.

Edited by ams1001
had to fix my score
  • Like 4
(edited)

I had a terrible night.  I couldn't even get the answers I knew right.

Well, no surprise I got the geography final wrong.  that's never my category.  I said Kosovo.  At least i did't say something completely stupid like iceland

I got the missed clues of nocturne, pentecost, and Ally Sheedy.

I go the entire partial cateogry of presidential succession wrong.

Edit: I just looked at a map, Kosovo was pretty stupid.

Edited by Katy M
  • Like 5
8 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I had a terrible night.  I couldn't even get the answers I knew right.

I know how that feels - I want to tell my brain "spit it out already". Either that or scream at the top of my lungs - but that might scare the neighbors. Although I did yell at the TV on more than one occasion today with all the missed clues.

13 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Well, no surprise I got the geography final wrong.  that's never my category.  I said Kosovo.  At least i didn't say something completely stupid like iceland.

Edit: I just looked at a map, Kosovo was pretty stupid.

I don't think Kosovo was all that bad a guess - at least it used to be a part of the right country that doesn't exist anymore. Iceland on the other hand...

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

Archive game for me, and wow.  WOW.  I had a bad game, but nowhere near as bad as they did.  There were 23 TS!  And only one correct DD.

I didn't run a single category in the entire game.  I don't even remember the last time that happened.  I did get all but one in most of them, but I missed three each in woods and novels, and two each in music, etymology, and '90s.

I got FJ easily, though, so ended on a high note.  Quite frankly, with the way they were playing, I was surprised two of them got it.

• Like 5

With all of those first round categories being the titles of Stephen Sondheim musicals, how could they not have a category on Sondheim?

Yes, those were a lot of TS's. It's almost--almost!--enough to make me wish for another superchamp to crush the lackluster players before the first commercial break.

• Like 10
  • Wink 1
  • Fire 1

Yikes, it’s like they selected three of me to compete today. I’m not surprised when I don’t know something (which was the case in all but maybe one or two of the stumpers) but I’m surprised that nobody knew so many. It’s like they managed to hit on everybody’s “football” category all at once. 

• Like 3
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 9
22 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

With all of those first round categories being the titles of Stephen Sondheim musicals, how could they not have a category on Sondheim?

Yeah, that was weird.

• Like 7

I was disappointed that none of them could get at least 2 correct answers in the presidential succession category.  They couldn't even claim to be Canadian as an excuse. It wasn't the best game ever that's for sure.

• Like 3
(edited)

I loved the category names for the Jeopardy! round but I was expecting the last one to be devoted to Stephen Sondheim!

Man was I yelling at the contestants tonight. The novel category especially. “Javert! Fagin!! Goddamn Joseph K, what is wrong with you three people!? How do none of you know any of these!?”

Edited by Cotypubby
  • Like 6
  • Fire 2
  • LOL 5
On 6/3/2023 at 6:49 PM, Prevailing Wind said:

You're talking about sightings and not meals, right?

Definitely sightings.  The Svalbard reindeer has been protected from hunting since the 50s, I think.  Or maybe it was 50 years ago.  Either way, reindeer is not on the menu anywhere in Svalbard.  We did finally get to see a polar bear, too!  It was really a cool experience.

I am now back in Oslo, and have caught up until Wednesday’s game.

Monday:  I did get FJ, and I learned it from The West Wing.  TS I got were Stellaluna, gondola, Ginza, and Muriel’s Wedding.

Tuesday:  Instaget FJ, plus the TS of Pope’s funeral, person & Peron, Strait of Dover, and peristaltic waves.

Wednesday:  I had to think about FJ, but got it in the nick of time.  There were an awful lot of TS!  I got Vienna (if it’s Strauss, it’s Vienna!), DoorDash, nocturnes, waltz, Ally Sheedy (on a guess, since I couldn’t see the photo), Buena Vista Social Club, Kevin McCarthy, and Fagin.

• Like 5
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 1
4 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

I never was so glad to see a game of Jeopardy! end. That was excruciating.

It was like watching Mayim do a monologue. All that was missing was her actually picking the clues.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • LOL 2

Oh my god, that was a terrible game!  So, so many stumpers.  And they left clues on the board in DJ, which is an unforgivable sin, imo.

Not that I had a good game, 'cause I didn't run a single category and only got all but 1 clue in Follies, Night Music, Passion and Roll Along.  I did get FJ although it was a lucky guess.

But at least I got 9 of the umpteen stumpers: Vienna, Snap-On, nocturnes, waltz, agony & ecstasy, Drew Barrymore, Ally Sheedy, Janet Yellen and Fagin.  Should've gotten Merrick Garland but didn't and also said Kamala Harris instead of Kevin McCarthy because apparently I cannot count.

13 hours ago, laredhead said:

I was disappointed that none of them could get at least 2 correct answers in the presidential succession category.  They couldn't even claim to be Canadian as an excuse. It wasn't the best game ever that's for sure.

I expect to suck at political-related categories, but I would think at least one contestant would've gotten at least one of those clues.  I mean, I did.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Should've gotten Merrick Garland but didn't and also said Kamala Harris instead of Kevin McCarthy because apparently I cannot count.

I'm relatively certain that McCarthy would have been an easy answer for many had the contestants selected the clues in order. Kamala Harris must have been the $400 response, which ended up being one of the two unselected clues. Had the VP's name already been mentioned, I like to think that people would know that the Speaker of the House is next in line. Perhaps they wouldn't have known McCarthy's name, but mixing up first in line and second in line probably wouldn't have happened. 

I got all the selected clues in that category, but I've been obsessed with politics since I was ten years old. 🤓 I have to admit I was disappointed that no one could name the Attorney General. 😒

Speaking of not clearing the board, I'm going to put at least part of the blame on Ms. Bialik and her insistence on always reading the first name when the contestant gives only the surname as their response. Unless a BMS is requested, the contestants are following the rules by giving only the surname. Mayim is wasting precious seconds by continuing to do this. If there are enough instances of this in any given game, the cost can be a clue going unread. 😠 Combine this with a contestant who is slow to choose clues and it can be more than one.

I dislike an uncleared board. 😏

• Like 4

So, the nurse talking to Willow goes through all the trouble of wearing all the sterile stuff and then pulls out her phone and touches Willow with the same hand she had the phone in.  I think that negated all the sterile precautions.

Not that I care about Carly and she is more to blame since Drew told her not to, but wow, he's caving fast.

8 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

I have to admit I was disappointed that no one could name the Attorney General. 😒

Sigh. I know Merrick Garland is AG. Except in those 5 seconds last night when I didn't know Merrick Garland was AG ☹️

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1
  • LOL 5
(edited)
23 minutes ago, Katy M said:

So, the nurse talking to Willow goes through all the trouble of wearing all the sterile stuff and then pulls out her phone and touches Willow with the same hand she had the phone in.  I think that negated all the sterile precautions.

Not that I care about Carly and she is more to blame since Drew told her not to, but wow, he's caving fast.

If any of this is FJ tonight I am so ready 👍

Edited by opus
  • LOL 12
20 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

.  🤓Speaking of not clearing the board, I'm going to put at least part of the blame on Ms. Bialik and her insistence on always reading the first name when the contestant gives only the surname as their response. Unless a BMS is requested, the contestants are following the rules by giving only the surname. Mayim is wasting precious seconds by continuing to do this. If there are enough instances of this in any given game, the cost can be a clue going unread. 😠 Combine this with a contestant who is slow to choose clues and it can be more than one.

I dislike an uncleared board. 😏

Mayim gets a pass for yesterday's debacle. When you have 17 TSs/missed DDs - more than half the clues in the  round - it's not a surprise when the board isn't cleared. I'm surprised they didn't leave more clues uncovered.

And I too hate it when they don't clear the boards - especially since it doesn't happen all that much lately (even with a host that pauses unnecessarily).

• Like 7
8 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

I blame not clearing the board on all the TSs. There were 7 in the J! round and 16 in the DJ! round for a total of 23! That's a lot of time waiting for the buzzer to ring.

1 minute ago, chicagofan said:

Mayim gets a pass for yesterday's debacle. When you have 17 TSs/missed DDs - more than half the clues in the  round - it's not a surprise when the board isn't cleared. I'm surprised they didn't leave more clues uncovered.

And I too hate it when they don't clear the boards - especially since it doesn't happen all that much lately (even with a host that pauses unnecessarily).

Agreed and agreed. That's why I mentioned that I put only "part of the blame" on Mayim. Yesterday's game was a disaster all-around. 

• Like 5